Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
Which version of Donnie Darko is most appropriate for a first viewing: the theatrical cut or the director's cut? Or is it negligible and I should just watch whichever I can find first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Space Cob posted:

Which version of Donnie Darko is most appropriate for a first viewing: the theatrical cut or the director's cut? Or is it negligible and I should just watch whichever I can find first?

Definitely the vanilla.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Space Cob posted:

You should watch the theatrical cut, then never ever watch the director's cut.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Noxville posted:

You should watch the theatrical cut, then never ever watch the director's cut.

It may sound like this is goon hyperbole, but it's not -- it's really true.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

Three votes for Theatrical. Thanks.

If I hate the movie, I'll double thank you for saving me 20 minutes.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

friendo55 posted:

Harakiri (2014.06.03) - I've heard so much praise given to this film lately that I feel left out. I wanna join in on the conversation!

Try this next.

Children of Paradise - The New York Times once called this the French reply to Gone With the Wind. That seems a little hyperbolic and generous as the backdrop (Boulevard du Crime, kind of like vaudeville but teeming with French criminals) doesn't evoke the same level of feelings of grandeur as the American Civil War does.

However, the cast of characters is basically constructed perfectly: Garance (Arletty), Baptiste Debureau (Jean-Louis Barrault), Frédérick Lemaître (Pierre Brasseur), Pierre François Lacenaire (Marcel Herrand), Édouard de Montray (Louis Salou). I list them all here because I can't recall seeing something where this many characters were perfectly entwined with one another in a film of this length. It's like a five-headed monster attacking itself with the center being Garance.

It's been said that beautiful women can get away with just about anything and that saying holds true here as Garance leaves a wake of destruction in her path as she toys with the four men in varying ways. The character is reminiscent of that famous Hall & Oates track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRYFKcMa_Ek

Another thing that stands out is how many things are left unresolved as we're left hanging. The ending reminded me of the ending of Doctor Zhivago in that way. Life is sometimes complex like that.

PS I liked the use of plays and performances within the film (art within art).

Procrastination (149 completed):

#144 Love Story - A transparent title. 8/12/14

#149 Weekend - Another one on some lists and Larry Charles favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MEXLUCLY2E 9/14/14

#151 Rodan - I should probably see this before getting too deep into the Godzilla series. 9/25/14

#152 Switchblade Sisters - Quentin Tarantino has championed this film in recent years. 9/25/14

#154 Colour It Yellow AKA Rang De Basanti - Aamir Khan is popular on the IMDb top 250. 10/1/14

#155 The Heart Desires AKA Dil Chahta Hai - Aamir Khan is popular on the IMDb top 250. There must be an echo in here. 10/1/14

#156 Land Tax AKA Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India - The Wrath of (Aamir) Khan continues on the IMDb top 250. 10/13/14

new #157 Scream 2 - The first one was a surprise. 10/21/14

James Bond versus Godzilla:

King Kong vs. Godzilla - Is King Kong flammable? 9/16/14

AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies (95/100 completed):

#99 Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - I think I know the general premise. 10/8/14

Zogo fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 22, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I've only ever seen the Director's Cut and I'm curious what the differences are

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Returning to this thread after a long break.

Zogo posted:

#149 Weekend - Another one on some lists and Larry Charles favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MEXLUCLY2E 9/14/14

Watch this one. It's astonishing.

Shame list:
  • Woman in the Dunes (1964): This has been on my list forever.
  • The Firemen's Ball (1967): One of the more internationally-lauded films from the Czech New Wave.
  • L'atalante (1934): Loved Zero de conduite. I'm told this is even better.
  • Mon oncle (1958): Always meant to dig into some Tati. Not sure why I've put it off so long.
  • Los olvidados (1950): Buñuel's a genius. Planning to watch all of his films eventually.
  • Last Year at Marienbad (1961): An arthouse classic.
  • Zazie dans le métro (1960): Queneau as interpreted by Malle. A can't-miss?
  • Tokyo Story (1953): I've only ever seen one Ozu, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.
  • Ugetsu monogatari (1953): Mizoguchi has a sterling reputation among his fellow directors. Time to see what the fuss is about.
  • Au hasard Balthazar (1966): I own this, but I haven't watched it yet. Bresson's a god, so I expect good things.
Deshamed:
Die Feuerzangenbowle (2014/04/01), Ikiru (2014/06/14), Bicycle Thieves (2014/06/27)

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

A random number generator tells me you should go with Zazie dans le métro.

Everything about The Blair Witch Project was super unsettling throughout, and I mean that in the best possible way. This film is a masterclass in using sound design effectively and letting your imagination do the rest of the work for you. It just does a phenomenal job at preying on the fear of the unknown as well as the relatable situation of being lost in a rural and remote place. And while the shaky cam may put off some viewers, I thought the found footage approach worked wonders at putting me in the situation myself rather than just feeling like an onlooker. I know this movie can be a bit divisive among audiences, but for my money, it had me legitimately dreading every additional night shown and I can't recommend it enough. (For the record, I'd absolutely recommend anyone watching it to watch late at night with the lights out and, assuming you're watching alone, headphones in, since this is a film where atmosphere and sound design are literally everything.)

My List:

1. 21 Jump Street - Didn't get around to seeing it when it came out, but love Lord and Miller's work on both Clone High and The Lego Movie.

2. The Avengers - I actually went to see this in a double feature at a drive-in across the border from me, but I think the projector light was almost burnt out or something, making the movie virtually unwatchable, so we left fairly early on, and I just haven't gotten around to picking it back up since.

3. Fantasia - Considering my inclination towards animation in general, having never seen what is considered one of if not the the most groundbreaking animated films of all time is a definite sore spot on my film record.

4. Grave of the Fireflies - Continuing through Ghibli's work with what I've generally seen regarded as their darkest film.

5. The Iron Giant - Technically I have seen this one, but not since I was really young, so I remember virtually nothing about it aside from the fact that I remember enjoying it. I've also seen it commonly regarded as one of the best animated films ever made, so I'd like to watch it again with a more adult mindset.

6. Kill Bill - Figured I'd get both volumes out of the way with one pick considering they were originally intended as a single film and more or less flow into each other from what I understand.

7. Good Morning Vietnam - Continuing my Robin Williams film spree with one of the films that really put him on the map.

8. Back to the Future 2 - Thought I added this after watching the first film for the thread for some reason, but apparently I didn't, so I'm adding it now.

9. Se7en - I've currently only seen (and loved) Fincher's three most recent films, so I'd like to go back and watch a bunch of his highly acclaimed older films. The only thing I know about this going in is the basic premise and cast, both of which sound really appealing to me.

10. The Silence of the Lambs - I know some of the iconic scenes (namely "ate his liver with fava beans" and "rubs the lotion on his skin"), but not much else aside from the basic premise.

Deshamed (19): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting, Wayne's World, One Hour Photo, This is the End, Inglourious Basterds, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, John Carpenter's The Thing, The Social Network, The Blair Witch Project

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 26, 2014

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Trash Boat, you get The Silence of the Lambs. The thread gave me this film ages back, and now it gives it to you.

Space Cob gave me The Player, and hoped I'd enjoy it too...

And Space Cob was right, I also really enjoyed it. It's a really great film. It's tightly made with nothing useless or dull, it's solid and really entertaining.

I always had it in my head that this film would be a heavily satirical film about hollywood politics but it's much more over the top than that. Tim Robbins is great and really comes across as becoming unhinged in a variety of ways as events happen. It's pretty direct and more of a piss-take of Hollywood than I was expecting. It's really funny. Great stuff. Tempted to change my top three picks of my unshamed list below to a top five and include this...

List of Shame:

1 - Dreams - One of the few Kurosawa films I've not seen, not a fan of anthology films.

2 - A Prophet - Heard almost nothing but good things about this, and prison films are usually interesting.

3 - Ronin - It was February 2013's CineD Movie of the Month, never really caught my attention but apparently good?

4 - The Host - South Korean monster movie. teenage love triangle featuring a monster based on the novel by Stephenie Meyer? [this reference is now old and even crapper]

5 - Glory to the Filmmaker! - A Kitano comedy... but hopefully it follows on more from Takeshis' than harking back to Getting Any? [Catching up with Kitano 1/4]

6 - Assault on Precinct 13 - Interesting premise & got a good interesting review earlier in the thread too.

7 - Haywire - Another apparently solid action flick, Soderbergh is usually realiable and entertaining in genre mode.

8 - Youth of the Beast - A Seijun Suzuki film that I know nothing about, which is possibly the best thing going in to a Seijun Suzuki film.

9 - Paths of Glory - Early Kubrick and what little I know about it seems very interesting.

10- The Grand Budapest Hotel - new - Not the biggest Wes Anderson fan but I've heard this is really entertaining.

Shame No More: [24] [top three] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Chewy, you can have Ronin. Hope it's good, haven't seen it myself (which is nothing new as you will see by my list.)

I should probably get in on this. I've somehow managed to miss out on some classic films and this should serve as a good way to knock some of them off the list.

1 - Inception (2010) It's full of actors I love and has an interesting concept. No excuse for not seeing this, I even have the Blu-Ray.

2 - Taxi Driver (1976) This is one of those movies that I feel like I've already seen simply due to all the famous quotes and scenes being all over the place in modern culture. Should still see what the fuss is about though.

3 - LA Confidential (1997) It's Kevin Spacey in the mid nineties, it's going to be a good film.

4 - To Catch A Thief (1955) Seen most of the "big" Hitchcock films, this is one I've yet to check out.

5 - American Psycho (2000) This was heartily recommended by a friend so I should see what the fuss is about.

6 - The Conversation (1974) Sounds right up my street.

7 - Silence of the Lambs (1991) Again, one of those massively quoted films that I just never got round to.

8 - The Big Lebowski (1998) I've always heard it's hilarious but for whatever reason I was never that interested in seeing it. Still think I should though.

9 - Toy Story 3 (2010) I grew up in the 90's so naturally I loved the first 2 as a kid. I should probably finish off the trilogy.

10 - The Thing (1982) Ok seriously? Why the gently caress haven't I watched this yet either? What am I even doing?

I'm actually embarrassed to see it written out that, and bear in mind I left a lot of stuff out. I tried to stick to 1 film per director so there's even more shameful omissions to come.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

I would easily give any of the bottom four films on your list my full recommendation (though haven't seen the rest), but I'm going to go with The Thing by virtue of it being the week of Halloween and having had the movie picked for me in this thread myself.

Anyway, loved The Silence of the Lambs, in no short part due to the fantastic performances between Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins. Every scene shared by them felt like a mental chess match between the two, which they sold extremely well. I also appreciated the contrast between the two killers, with Hannibal playing the part of a cold, calculating, and above all else, sophisticated mind, compared to Buffalo Bill, who comes across as more manic and unhinged. I also adored the climax, which stands for me as one of the most tense I can recall seeing on film.

My List:

1. 21 Jump Street - Didn't get around to seeing it when it came out, but love Lord and Miller's work on both Clone High and The Lego Movie.

2. The Avengers - I actually went to see this in a double feature at a drive-in across the border from me, but I think the projector light was almost burnt out or something, making the movie virtually unwatchable, so we left fairly early on, and I just haven't gotten around to picking it back up since.

3. Fantasia - Considering my inclination towards animation in general, having never seen what is considered one of if not the the most groundbreaking animated films of all time is a definite sore spot on my film record.

4. Grave of the Fireflies - Continuing through Ghibli's work with what I've generally seen regarded as their darkest film.

5. The Iron Giant - Technically I have seen this one, but not since I was really young, so I remember virtually nothing about it aside from the fact that I remember enjoying it. I've also seen it commonly regarded as one of the best animated films ever made, so I'd like to watch it again with a more adult mindset.

6. Kill Bill - Figured I'd get both volumes out of the way with one pick considering they were originally intended as a single film and more or less flow into each other from what I understand.

7. Good Morning Vietnam - Continuing my Robin Williams film spree with one of the films that really put him on the map.

8. Back to the Future 2 - Thought I added this after watching the first film for the thread for some reason, but apparently I didn't, so I'm adding it now.

9. Se7en - I've currently only seen (and loved) Fincher's three most recent films, so I'd like to go back and watch a bunch of his highly acclaimed older films. The only thing I know about this going in is the basic premise and cast, both of which sound really appealing to me.

10. Zombieland - I love horror comedies like Shaun of the Dead, The Cabin in the Woods and Evil Dead 2, but never got around to watching this one despite receiving a sizable amount of praise itself.

Deshamed (20): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting, Wayne's World, One Hour Photo, This is the End, Inglourious Basterds, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, John Carpenter's The Thing, The Social Network, The Blair Witch Project, The Silence of the Lambs

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 27, 2014

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Trash Boat, glad you liked Silence of the Lambs, hopefully you like Se7en also.

An Actual Bear gave me Ronin. And welcome to the thread, excellent list by the way, looking forward to seeing your opinions on what you watch.

Ronin was pretty good, and pretty much what I expected. A rather standard action 90s action movie, but a well made one. It's an enjoyable film which doesn't bog itself down with trying to be overly elaborate or too smart.

The film is about a group of various mercenary types being brought together for a job, the details of which aren't clear and neither is the details of the various characters either, which works to the film's favour, it doesn't waste too much time setting things up, it's much more interested in getting through the details of the plot to the next car chase.

It's no classic but entertaining enough, though it does commit the criminal offence of plot advancement by way of total coincidence, which is needless and lazy in any film. Late on in the film, when trying to locate somebody they have virtually no details on, a poster on the wall the main characters are standing beside points them in the correct direction, which is just stupid and goes against the fairly straightforward nature of the rest of the film. The film also features some atrocious Irish accents, only topped by the surreal Irish polictical footnote at the end of the film.

List-o Shame-o:

1 - Dreams - One of the few Kurosawa films I've not seen, not a fan of anthology films.

2 - A Prophet - Heard almost nothing but good things about this, and prison films are usually interesting.

3 - The Host - South Korean monster movie. teenage love triangle featuring a monster based on the novel by Stephenie Meyer? [this reference is now old and even crapper]

4 - Glory to the Filmmaker! - A Kitano comedy... but hopefully it follows on more from Takeshis' than harking back to Getting Any? [Catching up with Kitano 1/4]

5 - Assault on Precinct 13 - Interesting premise & got a good interesting review earlier in the thread too.

6 - Haywire - Another apparently solid action flick, Soderbergh is usually realiable and entertaining in genre mode.

7 - Youth of the Beast - A Seijun Suzuki film that I know nothing about, which is possibly the best thing going in to a Seijun Suzuki film.

8 - Paths of Glory - Early Kubrick and what little I know about it seems very interesting.

9 - The Grand Budapest Hotel - Not the biggest Wes Anderson fan but I've heard this is really entertaining.

10- Frank - new - Lenny Abrahamson's latest film, his other films that I've seen have been brilliant.

Shame No More: [25] [top three] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
Hello! I've been meaning to join in on this thread for ages.

Chewy Bitems you get to watch The Grand Budapest Hotel. I saw this last week and enjoyed it very much.

1. Shame. I thought the other two McQueen films (Hunger and Twelve Years a Slave) were great and have been meaning to check it out. Plus this thread has the word "shame" in the title and reminded me of it.

2. Jaws. I've never seen it, and probably should. I know that it both is and isn't about a shark.

3. Barry Lyndon. A Kubrick film I haven't seen. This must be rectified.

4. Manhunter. I've heard that Brian Cox plays Lecter a bit more understated than talking ham Anthony Hopkins.

5. Schindler's List. One of those very highly regarded films I think I'm supposed to have seen despite it seeming like it might be a bit of a slog.

6. The Third Man. Everyone says this is great. I'm sure it is. Do do do do do do de do.

7. Rope. I want to see more Hitchcock. Rope has I believe the shortest title of any of his films so in the interest of saving myself from unnecessary typing that is my choice.

8. The Lives of Others. Award winning. German. A film. These are the things I know about The Lives of Others. I should learn more.

9. The Elephant Man. "I am not an animal!" Or is he? I'll let yis know once I watch this.

10. The Searchers. John Wayne. John Ford. Something about ribbons, maybe that's a different film.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Pat, you get Rope. Not Hitchcock's best, but still an excellent film.

Thanks to Trash Boat for giving me The Thing. I absolutely loved it, it's by far the 2nd best horror film I've ever seen behind The Shining. The effects are still incredible to this day, the ending is brilliant, the soundtrack was spot on. I can't think of anything I disliked about it, it was wonderful. I think my favourite scene is either the blood test, purely for the tension and great direction or the final scene. I love how ambiguous it was, it doesn't give you a definitive answer but you don't need one either. The horror is in not knowing if Childs is a Thing or not. Can't recommend it enough.

1 - Inception (2010) It's full of actors I love and has an interesting concept. No excuse for not seeing this, I even have the Blu-Ray.

2 - Taxi Driver (1976) This is one of those movies that I feel like I've already seen simply due to all the famous quotes and scenes being all over the place in modern culture. Should still see what the fuss is about though.

3 - LA Confidential (1997) It's Kevin Spacey in the mid nineties, it's going to be a good film.

4 - To Catch A Thief (1955) Seen most of the "big" Hitchcock films, this is one I've yet to check out.

5 - American Psycho (2000) This was heartily recommended by a friend so I should see what the fuss is about.

7 - Silence of the Lambs (1991) Again, one of those massively quoted films that I just never got round to.

8 - The Big Lebowski (1998) I've always heard it's hilarious but for whatever reason I was never that interested in seeing it. Still think I should though.

9 - Toy Story 3 (2010) I grew up in the 90's so naturally I loved the first 2 as a kid. I should probably finish off the trilogy.

NEW 10 - Once Upon A Time In The West (1968) 12 Angry Men is my favourite film of all time. I can't even imagine Henry Fonda as a villain, so I guess I should check this out.

Movies watched: The Thing

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

An Actual Bear posted:

Your friend is wise. Watch it.

-

Donnie Darko - I am not certain how I feel about Donnie Darko. So I'll say what I feel about pieces of it.

I loved the strange tension it kept. The entire movie had this sense of foreboding in the background, mostly due to the regular appearances of Frank. And it did a good job in my eyes of keeping me on my toes and engaged. At no point did I feel supremely confident I knew where it was all going to end up. And the ending wrapped things around in a way that felt satisfying to me.

But at the same time, I feel empty. The last 15 minutes circled back around and fit everything together, but I'm not sure what to feel regarding what it built. I'm not sure what it all accomplished.

Spoiler: the last part reminded me of the ending of The Butterfly Effect, a movie I must have seen at some point (or I at least read a synopsis). The main character kills himself too if I recall correctly. Perhaps that was an alternate ending. Either way, all this movie did was remind me of the sorts of "the world is better off without me" ideas that stem from severe depression. Which, given the fact the whole movie is pressing the idea that Donnie has mental problems, perhaps is the idea it was supposed to evoke. If so...I guess it worked. Had this hit me back when I was younger and took that thought much more seriously when applying it to myself, perhaps this would have resonated in a very different way.

I'm glad I saw Donnie Darko. I'm just not sure I'll like thinking about it.

-

SHAMELIST: (in order of longest time on this list)

Rain Man - I just finished a book on memory and it discussed the inspiration for this movie. Seems a good justification to finally see it.

Mad Max - How does this stack up compared to the well-known classic Warriors of the Wasteland?

The Birth of a Nation - Because I hate myself and I'm sick of hearing this movie's title and not knowing why it stirs up bile. Something about racism. And according to IMDB it is 2.5 hours long! Woooo!

The Breakfast Club - Is this a feel good movie? I don't know.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - Next in the Watch-All-The-Bond-aThon.

Rambo First Blood - Contra is a fun game.

:siren::siren:The Thing:siren::siren: - Apparently it is the perfect time of the year to watch :siren::siren:The Thing.:siren::siren:

-
De-shamed (65): Raiders of the Lost Arc; Alien; Blade Runner; The Godfather; Casablanca; Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom; The Godfather Part II; Die Hard; Grave of the Fireflies; Aliens; A Fistful of Dollars; One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest; Network; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Schindler's List; Superman; Dr. No; Rear Window; Young Frankenstein; Jaws; Akira; The Shining; American Psycho; Metropolis; The Graduate; The Birds; Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure; WALL·E; American History X; The Third Man; Blue Velvet; Seven Samurai; Notorious; Lawrence of Arabia; La Dolce Vita; The Jerk; Videodrome; Deliverance; Ed Wood; Mulholland Drive; From Russia With Love; Rebel Without A Cause; Senna; Groundhog Day; The Terminator; Who Framed Roger Rabbit; Goodfellas; Terminator 2: Judgment Day; Wreck-It Ralph; The Goonies; Some Like It Hot; Rashomon; The Rocky Horror Picture Show; Highlander; Thunderball; Rocky; Robocop; Full Metal Jacket; Touch of Evil; Planet of the Apes; You Only Live Twice; The Sound of Music; Halloween; The Princess Bride; Donnie Darko

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Space Cob posted:

:siren::siren:The Thing:siren::siren: - Apparently it is the perfect time of the year to watch :siren::siren:The Thing.:siren::siren:

You seem excited for this.

Weekend - If this is considered a comedy it's about the bleakest and most perverted I've come across as it could be titled "Car crashes and arguments." It plays out like an absurd dream.

Godard's films that I've seen thus far have always operated at the far reaches of conventional cinema. He seems to have an ideological frustration with capitalism, consumerism and human nature itself. It's a new take on misanthropy. Chronologically, each successive film I've seen has let in more chaos and more incoherency.

Broadly, I was reminded of the theme of Koyaanisqatsi AKA "Life Out of Balance" but the execution and presentation has a reckless abandon similar to something like Inland Empire. Here, however, we're left with a lot of cringe-inducing things:

-Animal slaughter.
-Dead bodies - "All these jerks are dead."
-Violent carjackings and car accidents.
-Revolutionary, political and philosophical rants dubbed over images of scary people eating submarine sandwiches.
-A sex talk scene that's right out of Bergman's Persona but more crude and not as sexy.

All that stuff is going to frighten and disturb most viewers. Basically Jean-Luc Godard is a TERRORIST.

PS I'd heard about the traffic jam sequence before and I must say it gave me a headache.

Procrastination (150 completed):

#151 Rodan - I should probably see this before getting too deep into the Godzilla series. 9/25/14

#152 Switchblade Sisters - Quentin Tarantino has championed this film in recent years. 9/25/14

#154 Colour It Yellow AKA Rang De Basanti - Aamir Khan is popular on the IMDb top 250. 10/1/14

#155 The Heart Desires AKA Dil Chahta Hai - Aamir Khan is popular on the IMDb top 250. There must be an echo in here. 10/1/14

#156 Land Tax AKA Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India - The Wrath of (Aamir) Khan continues on the IMDb top 250. 10/13/14

#157 Scream 2 - The first one was a surprise. 10/21/14

new #73 Wuthering Heights (1939) - There's so many versions of this story out there. A favorite of my grandmother. 10/27/14

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Random choice for you: Rodan.

Zazie dans le métro was a blast. Among the most cartoonish live-action films I've ever seen -- just totally, unabashedly silly, even when it's broaching sensitive topics. Imagine Jean-Luc Godard, Luis Buñuel, and Mack Sennett crossed with the wackier Looney Tunes directors (Bob Clampett and Tex Avery in particular), and you're getting close.

Shame list:
  • Woman in the Dunes (1964): This has been on my list forever.
  • The Firemen's Ball (1967): One of the more internationally-lauded films from the Czech New Wave.
  • L'atalante (1934): Loved Zero de conduite. I'm told this is even better.
  • Mon oncle (1958): Always meant to dig into some Tati. Not sure why I've put it off so long.
  • Los olvidados (1950): Buñuel's a genius. Planning to watch all of his films eventually.
  • Last Year at Marienbad (1961): An arthouse classic.
  • Tokyo Story (1953): I've only ever seen one Ozu, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.
  • Ugetsu monogatari (1953): Mizoguchi has a sterling reputation among his fellow directors. Time to see what the fuss is about.
  • Au hasard Balthazar (1966): I own this, but I haven't watched it yet. Bresson's a god, so I expect good things.
  • Ran (1985): Always meant to see this one -- Kurosawa's great, and this is one of his major works -- but I've never gotten around to it.
Deshamed:
Die Feuerzangenbowle (2014/04/01), Ikiru (2014/06/14), Bicycle Thieves (2014/06/27), Zazie dans le métro (2014/10/27)

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

treasureplane, haven't seen any on your list, so I will choose Tokyo Story.

Saw Howl's Moving Castle. Not as good as Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke or My Neighbor Tototrro, but still very enjoyable. I really am learning to look forward to the next Studio Ghilbi movie, and have yet to be disappointed. The animation was very good, and I was very impressed with the voice acting.

Also saw The King and I. Yul Brynner was very good, and the music was good. I liked the visuals, costumes and scenery. So what didn't I like. I didn't like the ending. While I can handle sad endings, this one just seemed so abrupt. There was no hint that he was dying, and it just seemed to come from left field.

My List:
The Graduate - Only things I know about this movie is Mrs Robinson is seducing someone and Plastics.

The King's Speech - Trying to see more recent movies.

Faust - Looking forward to another Murnau film.

True Grit - The original version. Been a while since a western was on my list.

A Day at the Races - More Marx Brothers madness, please.

Kiki's Delivery Service - Need to see some more Miyazaki.

Ran - Heard this is one of Kurosawa'a best, so I am really looking forward to seeing it.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - This is one of my grandmothers favorite movies. I haven't seen it yet.

House of Wax - I've never seen a Vincent Price picture (except for Edward Scissorhands)

The Man Who Knew Too Much - More Hitchcock here. This will be the remake with Jimmy Stewart.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush, Metropolis, Rear Window, Enter the Dragon, Horse Feathers, The Great Dictator, Despicable Me, The Bad Sleep Well, The Wolf Man, Nosferatu, Patton, Howl's Moving Castle, The King and I

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Dmitri, you get The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Thanks to Space Cob for giving me American Psycho. I don't really know what to say about it, I finished watching it about half an hour ago and it still hasn't sunk in. It's a film that I think will almost require multiple viewings to really sink in properly. I can safely say it was an excellent film though. Christian Bale was outstanding and really brought the character to life. I think he deserves kudos for going all the way with it. He doesn't try to play Patrick as likeable, which would have been easy to do. I think my favourite scene was the axe murder, because it essentially sums up the movie. Is it a comedy? Is it a horror movie? Is it a satire? That scene proves it's basically all 3 of these things. A strange film, but an essential one.

NEW 5 - Raiders Of The Lost Ark (1981) I caught 15 minutes of it on TV once. Should go ahead and watch the other 100.

10 - Once Upon A Time In The West (1968) 12 Angry Men is my favourite film of all time. I can't even imagine Henry Fonda as a villain, so I guess I should check this out.

Movies watched: The Thing, American Psycho

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

An Actual Bear posted:

Try this one next.

Rodan - I love watching these films in their original language.

This one (directed by Ishirō Honda) follows the general outline of most daikaiju films I've seen. A mystery develops and some scientists/military men are called in to solve the issues.

This time the first issue is miners being attacked by large bugs but it soon turns into the discovery of a huge bird-like creature. The surprise is that there are actually two large birds (Rodans). The giant birds cause damage through supersonic sound waves and also by flapping their wings relentlessly and knocking over buildings etc. After destroying a few cities and scaring the whole planet the military goes with its usual solution. They shoot the monsters with as many tanks and planes as possible and try to bury the birds in mountain rubble.

In a surprise twist one of the Rodans falls into lava and the second Rodan seems to fly into the lava in an act of suicidal self-immolation.

The effects were kind of a mixed bag. I grew up watching a lot of these rubber suit monsters so I can appreciate that aspect but some would find a few scenes with obvious wires towing a creature around to be distracting.

Procrastination (151 completed):

new #158 Punch-Drunk Love - Heard this was good. 10/30/14

#73 Wuthering Heights (1939) - There's so many versions of this story out there. A favorite of my grandmother. 10/27/14

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 31, 2014

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

I've never seen it, but Love Story seems pretty highly acclaimed and has been on your list for almost 3 months. Go with that.

Se7en was probably my favourite Fincher movie I've watched thus far. The film is excellently paced throughout, no scene I can recall going wasted or unneeded. I also appreciate the film's use of the serial killer framing to lead the film into more of a character study piece than a mystery one. On that note, (minor final act spoilers) Kevin Spacey, for as little as he was actually present, gave easily the standout performance for me. He perfectly gives the impression of a cold, emotionless robot while also exuding an air of confidence that makes it clear that everything was going to go according to his plan, and his plan only. Finally, the ending, as has been stated countless times before, was wonderfully executed, and left the film on an extremely dark and emotionally resonant note.

My List:

9. Zombieland - I love horror comedies like Shaun of the Dead, The Cabin in the Woods and Evil Dead 2, but never got around to watching this one despite receiving a sizable amount of praise itself.

10. Fight Club - Often see this regarded as Fincher's magnum opus. The only thing I know going in is the first rule about Fight Club, which I'm not at liberty to talk about.

Deshamed (21): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting, Wayne's World, One Hour Photo, This is the End, Inglourious Basterds, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, John Carpenter's The Thing, The Social Network, The Blair Witch Project, The Silence of the Lambs, Se7en

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I have decided that for the sake of forcing myself to watch more movies more often, that I would enter my own list into this thread. I love watching movies, I love thinking about movies, I just have trouble starting movies.

Trash Boat, watch Fantasia. It is one of those movies that mesmerized me when I was younger.

My Shame

1. Django Unchained: I like Tarantino movies, yet have somehow resisted seeing this despite having no reason to believe that it will be anything but good.

2. Metropolis: I enjoy silent films, I like Chaplin, Keaton, and really liked Nosferatu. I should watch one of the undisputed epics of the time.

3. The Jewel of the Nile: I liked the first movie, lightweight fun.

4. Chocolate: Thai movie, I love martial arts films and heard this one was good.

5. Guess who's coming to dinner: I love Tracy and Hepburn, and this will be my introduction to Mr. Poitier.

6. Outrage: I loved Sonatine and like the Zatoichi reboot. I hope to like this.

7. Fargo: I need to watch this eventually.

8. Hell Boy: The idea of the movie appeals, I have read a couple of the comics. Ive heard its good. I dont know why I havent watched it yet.

9. Camille: I really enjoyed Queen Christina on TCM a couple of years back. I see the appeal of Garbo. I should watch this.

10. The Lion in Winter: Again, I love Katherine Hepburn. I want to see this.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 1, 2014

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
remusclaw please watch Django Unchained . It‘s a good movie and to make it to a perfect experience I suggest you to watch this old italian movie before :p Django
Then only, you understand much of the allusions, Tarantino pasted.
Have fun :) (sorry for dubble work hope you like it at the end)

-----------------------

La vie d'Adèle - Chapitre 1&2

In short: beautiful told lovestory only the leaps from lifetime moments is for me to fast but the movie goes 3 hours, I will forgive it with a sad eye.
The movie is a absolute must seen if you like love stories and a good decision for a couple evening.

The movie has a cute cast, is slowly and really close to the actors filmed that make it different from much other movies.
It is interesting to observe the facial expressions while the protagonists are pursuing in closeups during their dialogues from the camera
A sensitive told story between two humans they are falling in love after a short view.
The movie shows us a interesting view of two different kinds of parental home, their different upbringing and education of their children
and how this affect their life and decisions they chose.

On the one side a mind open family they are happy that their daughter found his love, give here support that they can follow his dreams
and show her the world in all its diversity.
On the other side a more grounded family they want a good job and a brave man for her daughter.
They give no support that she can come out of here self, to explore the world without fear, but love their child too, like the other family.

This different parental homes and how this affect the two people in love is the ground on that build Abdellatif Kechiche the story and follows the girls with a mostly very close camera work.
It's absolute interesting to see, how this different familie experience affect the life of the two fell in love girls and their relationship.

Great french cinema and a pro tip for a couple movie night.

I give La vie d'Adèle - Chapitre 1&2 a 9.0/10.

-----------------------

My List:
  1. Paulette – another unseen french drug movie

2. Red Cliff - schame to me, nothing more to say

3. Total Recal (remake) – Nothing can top the original

4. Nightmare (remake) - I love the originals! all tasers I saw, a voice wispers "no no no" to me.

5. The Physician - the speech book was good so I have my own pictures in mind no place for
    this movie

6. Big Miracle - Drew Barrymore is great no idea why I missed this movie

7. 47 Ronin - read about the misstakes and trouble to bring this movie on screen, not realy
    interest to see neo as samurai...

8. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues - first part wasn't funny, sure the second part too

9. A Madea Christmas - nothing absolutly nothing tops Bad Santa as christmass movie!

10. Grand Hotel Budapest – good cast but I have taken so far, no note about the movie. "NEW on the List"

Shameful Watched (001): Slumdog Millionaire [6.5/10], (002): Life of Pi [5.5/10], (003): The King‘s Speech [7.5/10], (004): Donnie Darko [8.5/10], (005): The cold light of Day [5.5/10], (006): La vie d'Adèle - Chapitre 1&2 [9.0/10],

XenJ fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 1, 2014

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
XenJ, I'm don't like to give someone a film that's been too recently reviewed... so I'll give you Red Cliff, while I haven't seen it, it's one that's down on my long list of shame, so hopefully you like it.

Pat Mustard gave me The Grand Budapest Hotel.

And it was fantastic. Extremely enjoyable, charming, funny, and exciting. The pace of the film is breakneck, never stopping for a moment and it drags you along from the opening scene until the credits kick in.

I wasn't too sure what to expect, I knew almost nothing about it other than that it was a Wes Anderson film about a hotel which was packed with cameos. I don't like to bring up other films when describing a film's merits or faults, but in the context of Wes Andersons's films, while I've liked the other Wes Anderson films I've seen, his films are invariably populated by deliberately odd characters who behave eccentrically and I'm left cold by the film (which is probably more down to me than any film). The Grand Budapest Hotel is structured and framed in a way that while many of the characters are certainly rather eccentric, any such behaviour is not the focus of the film, they merely populate it and enrich it. The cast is superb, in particular Ralph Fiennes, and the dialogue is brilliant, witty, and funny.

When he gave me this film, Pat Mustard said he enjoyed it very much and I can't imagine anyone could fail to, it is great fun.

The Grand Budapest List of Shame:

3 - The Host - South Korean monster movie. teenage love triangle featuring a monster based on the novel by Stephenie Meyer? [this reference is now old and even crapper]

4 - Glory to the Filmmaker! - A Kitano comedy... but hopefully it follows on more from Takeshis' than harking back to Getting Any? [Catching up with Kitano 1/4]

5 - Assault on Precinct 13 - Interesting premise & got a good interesting review earlier in the thread too.

6 - Haywire - Another apparently solid action flick, Soderbergh is usually realiable and entertaining in genre mode.

7 - Youth of the Beast - A Seijun Suzuki film that I know nothing about, which is possibly the best thing going in to a Seijun Suzuki film.

8 - Paths of Glory - Early Kubrick and what little I know about it seems very interesting.

9 - Frank - Lenny Abrahamson's latest film, his other films that I've seen have been brilliant.

10- 13 Assassins - new - Takashi Miike's acclaimed samurai epic is one that I've not caught yet, must make amends.

Shame No More: [26] [top three] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
thx it´s perfect for this sunday :) and I´m sure with a John Woo movie nothing can go wrong.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Chewy, I haven't seen any of your films so using the power of a random number generator you get Glory to the Filmmaker!

Thanks to Zogo for Taxi Driver. I wasn't hooked on it at first but it grew on me quickly, and by the end I loved it. It's by far one of the most tense movies I've ever seen. I love some of the camerawork too, it's lovely. It has an ugly beauty to it if that makes any sense, it's almost elegant in its grittiness. I also adored one shot in particular towards the end, when the camera moves along the ceiling and pans around the bodies in the room. Just excellent directing. Only thing I wasn't a fan of was the soundtrack. Did they have to repeat that one track constantly throughout the film? Other than that though it was excellent.

NEW 2 - Total Recall (1990) Loved Arnie since I was a kid and have seen most of his movies, this one I somehow haven't. I also love Robocop so it's a chance to check more of Verhoeven's work too.

5 - Raiders Of The Lost Ark (1981) I caught 15 minutes of it on TV once. Should go ahead and watch the other 100.

10 - Once Upon A Time In The West (1968) 12 Angry Men is my favourite film of all time. I can't even imagine Henry Fonda as a villain, so I guess I should check this out.

Movies watched: The Thing, American Psycho, Taxi Driver

An Actual Bear fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 4, 2014

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Anyone who grew up with the first two films owes it to themselves to watch Toy Story 3. Watch that.

I know remusclaw just said it himself when choosing the film for me, but mesmerizing is honestly just the best word I can think of to describe Fantasia. Absolutely drop dead gorgeous on both a visual and audible level, not to mention extremely relaxing. For as much flak as it tends to get from people for dragging on (and it is quite long, don't get me wrong), I actually think my favourite segment of the entire film would have to be The Rite of Spring, especially the volcano segment at the beginning which I felt fit the orchestration perfectly. Other highlights for me of course include the iconic Sorcerer's Apprentice and Night on Bald Mountain, as well as The Nutcracker Suite.

My List:

3. Grave of the Fireflies - Continuing through Ghibli's work with what I've generally seen regarded as their darkest film.

4. The Iron Giant - Technically I have seen this one, but not since I was really young, so I remember virtually nothing about it aside from the fact that I remember enjoying it. I've also seen it commonly regarded as one of the best animated films ever made, so I'd like to watch it again with a more adult mindset.

5. Kill Bill - Figured I'd get both volumes out of the way with one pick considering they were originally intended as a single film and more or less flow into each other from what I understand.

6. Good Morning Vietnam - Continuing my Robin Williams film spree with one of the films that really put him on the map.

7. Back to the Future 2 - Thought I added this after watching the first film for the thread for some reason, but apparently I didn't, so I'm adding it now.

8. Zombieland - I love horror comedies like Shaun of the Dead, The Cabin in the Woods and Evil Dead 2, but never got around to watching this one despite receiving a sizable amount of praise itself.

9. Fight Club - Often see this regarded as Fincher's magnum opus. The only thing I know going in is the first rule about Fight Club, which I'm not at liberty to talk about.

10. The Shawshank Redemption - I don't know much aside from bits of the ending, and even then I'm pretty vague on at best. I also know that it's considered one of the best films of all time, even topping the IMDb Top 250 list, so there's probably no excuse for me to have not seen it yet.

Deshamed (22): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting, Wayne's World, One Hour Photo, This is the End, Inglourious Basterds, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, John Carpenter's The Thing, The Social Network, The Blair Witch Project, The Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, Fantasia

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 2, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Trash Boat posted:

5. Kill Bill - Figured I'd get both volumes out of the way with one pick considering they were originally intended as a single film and more or less flow into each other from what I understand.

Try this next.

Love Story - It's a pretty familiar dynamic with a wealthy boy (Ryan O'Neal) falling for a girl (Ali MacGraw) from a different crowd. I found their early interactions to be odd and affected (lots of snarky potshots and odd insults that came off as fake).

Their relationship grows but eventually tragedy strikes. I'm not sure why the doctors initially lied to Jenny about her diagnosis. I've heard it was a lot more commonplace for doctors to flat-out lie to people years ago though.

For the subject matter I prefer Terms of Endearment a little more than this one. I couldn't identify at all with the insanely stubborn Oliver either.

PS Tommy Lee Jones makes an early appearance in this one.

Procrastination (152 completed):

#158 Punch-Drunk Love - Heard this was good. 10/30/14

#73 Wuthering Heights (1939) - There's so many versions of this story out there. A favorite of my grandmother. 10/27/14

new #92 A Place in the Sun - It sounds hot. 11/3/14

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Wow, this thread has certainly been in an unexpected standstill for the past few days. Anyway, I'll give a bump towards your AFI 100 Movies challenge with Wuthering Heights.

Just watched both volumes of Kill Bill back to back and was hooked the whole time. The film manages to carry many of Tarantino's hallmarks (non-linear structure, chapter division, the driving dialog, etc.), while simultaneously feeling distinctly different from anything else he's ever done. One thing in particular that stood out to me was the way the film follows (quite effectively, in my opinion) something of a reverse action curve, the first kill chronologically (admittedly the climax of the first volume) being a massive showstopper of an action sequence, compared to the final confrontation with Bill serving mostly as subdued dialog between the two to eloquently resolve their character arcs, with the actual minute-or-so bout serving more or less as the capstone. On that note, David Carradine turned in a standout performance as Bill, painting him as a wise and strangely affable sort of fatherly figure, while also never letting that serve to undercut the severity and cruelty of what he's done. I also particularly liked Daryl Hannah as Elle, her sheer pleasure and arrogance from what she does serving as a nice parallel to Beatrix's deadly seriousness.

My List:

3. Grave of the Fireflies - Continuing through Ghibli's work with what I've generally seen regarded as their darkest film.

4. The Iron Giant - Technically I have seen this one, but not since I was really young, so I remember virtually nothing about it aside from the fact that I remember enjoying it. I've also seen it commonly regarded as one of the best animated films ever made, so I'd like to watch it again with a more adult mindset.

5. Good Morning Vietnam - Continuing my Robin Williams film spree with one of the films that really put him on the map.

6. Back to the Future 2 - Thought I added this after watching the first film for the thread for some reason, but apparently I didn't, so I'm adding it now.

7. Zombieland - I love horror comedies like Shaun of the Dead, The Cabin in the Woods and Evil Dead 2, but never got around to watching this one despite receiving a sizable amount of praise itself.

8. Fight Club - Often see this regarded as Fincher's magnum opus. The only thing I know going in is the first rule about Fight Club, which I'm not at liberty to talk about.

9. The Shawshank Redemption - I don't know much aside from bits of the ending, and even then I'm pretty vague on at best. I also know that it's considered one of the best films of all time, even topping the IMDb Top 250 list, so there's probably no excuse for me to have not seen it yet.

10. Jackie Brown - The only Tarantino movie I have left to see aside from Death Proof. I know that it's a crime drama that pays heavy tribute to 1970's blaxploitation films (a genre that I admittedly have just about zero personal experience with), and basically nothing else.

Deshamed (23): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting, Wayne's World, One Hour Photo, This is the End, Inglourious Basterds, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, John Carpenter's The Thing, The Social Network, The Blair Witch Project, The Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, Fantasia, Kill Bill

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 7, 2014

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
No judgement or anything Trash Boat, but out of curiosity, are you interested in seeing any older films?

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Chili posted:

No judgement or anything Trash Boat, but out of curiosity, are you interested in seeing any older films?

Yeah, I am actually. I'd actually been planning on planning on adding some older films to my list in the near future in fact. My current list is admittedly more 90's+ oriented than I'd realized now that you mention it, but that has more to choosing certain films at specific times (Halloween season, following up directors' films), rather than actively avoiding older films or anything like that.

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 7, 2014

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Trash Boat posted:

It's really great. I hope you enjoy it through your older set of eyes.

After months of not posting here, I finally got around to watching Andrei Rublev. It's amazing that even in a story that's more of a straightforward, even historical narrative, that Tarkovsky still plays with form so much. It is not so much a biopic as it is an exploration of the relationship between faith, creativity, and mortal (maybe immortal) suffering. My favourites of Tarkovsky go a little further off the deep end, but this is a really good epic story with some wonderful sets and sequences. He still reaches that dreamlike state that permeated throughout The Mirror, especially in the pagan celebration scene and the raid where Rublev is faced with the most gruesome horrors he'll ever witness.

Also watched World on a Wire a couple months back with a buddy of mine. It was a pretty slick piece of science fiction. It sucks you in. We were planning on only watching a bit of it and picking the rest up later, but we just got lost in it and carried through to the end. It was a smart move to keep it set in the 70s so to prevent it from feeling dated, it simply exists in an alternate version of that present, which is very appropriate. While many plot points may feel telegraphed, they never lack logic. What it lacks in outright surprises, it makes up for in a tense and fascinating unraveling. The use of mirrors, which could feel silly, works very well to visualize the idea of the layers at work.

You get this because I just watched it.

Speaking of, The Earrings of Madame De... is elegant and distancing, but an excellently crafted film. It's difficult to pinpoint why it didn't entirely suck me in, and PT Anderson almost had me on his side with his short talk on the DVD about it, but I didn't entirely connect. It may be one of those films that gets better in memory the longer it settles.

In the months since I last posted, I also saw La Notte and it was right up my alley. Perhaps it was timing, perhaps I was in the right mood, but there was something in the exhausted melancholy and gorgeous cinematography that helped elevate the film in a way it may not have otherwise. A ton of wonderful individual scenes and moments and exceptionally rich, though emotionally fractured, central characters. Taking a look at relationships that challenges conventional notions of how we react is something I'm always curious about. Relationships are way more complex than some stories really touch on. La Notte, and Antonioni's L'avventura, look at the dark and confusing sides of relationships but also don't completely revel in the misery. I prefer La Notte, but L'avventura was quite good...and like I predict with Earrings above, I've come to like it more since I've sat on it.

I also watched Europa, which I think is one of the more creative films from Lars von Trier while also being one of the more conventional at the same time...if that makes sense. It's stark and dreamlike. It's like a hypnotic simulation of a postwar scenario. Sydow's narration is fantastic and the overall visual style helps create an astonishing atmosphere of unease. Narratively, it comes off as kind of thin, like von Trier had an interesting concept and great visual flair, with very little else. Still, it's done so well that it's very much worth it.

LIST O SHAME:

1920s - Pandora's Box (1928) - Know next to nothing about it except a former co-worker was fascinated by it.

1930s - Bringing Up Baby (1938) - Was always worried I wouldn't find it interesting or funny.

1940s - Monsieur Verdoux (1947) - Later Chaplin, I've heard mixed things.

1950s - Ordet (1955) - Dreyer is not exactly a blind spot, but I'm certainly not as well versed in his films as I'd like.

1960s - Blast of Silence (1961) - Was at a screening of The Killing a few months back, and one of the hosts mentioned this as one of his favourite noirs.

1970s - Brewster McCloud (1970) - Not many American filmmakers were as great as Altman in the 70s.

1980s - Cobra Verde (1987) - Time to watch more of my Herzog/Kinski box set I bought ages ago.

1990s - Topsy-Turvy (1999) - Saw a trailer for this when I was in high school. Thought it looked lame. I've since grown up a tad and have liked what I've seen from Mike Leigh (Happy Go-Lucky and Naked)

2000 and up - George Washington (2000) - The only film by David Gordon Green I have seen is Pineapple Express. Apparently his early films are nothing like that. Slight edit...I've since seen Prince Avalanche and liked it a ton.

Bonus/Random - Dersu Uzala (1975) - Kurosawa film with a story I've been fascinated by but never watched.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront, Grave of the Fireflies, Rebecca, The Sweet Hereafter, Peeping Tom, Drunken Angel, Duck Soup, Key Largo, Witness for the Prosecution, The Lady From Shanghai, Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages, Safety Last!, King Kong, Anatomy of a Murder, In a Lonely Place, Safe, Bad Day at Black Rock, The General, The Magnificent Ambersons, Five Easy Pieces, Porco Rosso, Mystery Train, Rififi, The King of Comedy, The Straight Story, The Kid, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carlos, Onibaba, It Happened One Night, Sherlock Jr., Lone Star, Foreign Correspondent, The Last Detail, Young Mr. Lincoln, Rope, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, The Man Who Laughs, Husbands and Wives, Reds, Sweet Smell of Success, Shadow of a Doubt, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The African Queen, The Lower Depths, Frankenstein, Broadcast News, La Strada, The Last Laugh, Stagecoach, Alexander Nevsky, Don't Look Now, Fish Tank, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Days of Heaven, The Killer, Nosferatu, The Naked Kiss, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Jules et Jim, Mon Oncle, Howl's Moving Castle, Y Tu Mama Tambien, A Night at the Opera, Berberian Sound Studio, The Natural, Kwaidan, The Color of Money, Fanny and Alexander, Repo Man, The Breakfast Club, The Passenger, The King of Marvin Gardens, The Goonies, Z, Ashes and Diamonds, L'Atalante, All Quiet on the Western Front, L'Age D'Or, The Earrings of Madame De..., La Notte, Europa, World on a Wire, Andrei Rublev (TOTAL: 159)

Ratedargh fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 9, 2014

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Ratedargh, I've only seen one film on your list, and it's one I'm fine with recommending too: Dersu Uzala

An Actual Bear gave me Glory to the Filmmaker!

The second film in Takeshi Kitano's 'surrealist autobiographical trilogy', I imagine it would be indecipherable to anyone not familiar with Kitano, his previous films, and his reputation. In terms of Kitano's previous films, Glory to the Filmmaker is like a combination of his preceding film 'Takeshis' and his 1995 film 'Getting Any?'. Takeshis was an strange but interesting look at Takeshi Kitano as a personality and filmstar, and Getting Any? was a straight up comedy.

Glory to the Filmmaker is a very disjointed film, the first half of it is explictly examining Kitano as a filmmaker, with a narrator commenting on Kitano's films as the film takes the form of a variety of possible films that Kitano could make, now that he's sworn off making gangster films. A sample of the narration is "Kitano had never made a horror film, so he could try his hand at that" followed by a segment in the style of a horror film.

The various segments of the film in different genres are actually pretty interesting and overall enjoyable, until the film sticks to one plot about halfway through and just plays outright comedy. I honestly did laugh several times throughout the film, though I can't say I found the over-the-top slapstick of the second half of the film funny, at least it doesn't try to run any jokes into the ground, rather jumping on to the next gag. On to the final part of this surreal trilogy then...

Shame List:

4 - Assault on Precinct 13 - Interesting premise & got a good interesting review earlier in the thread too.

5 - Haywire - Another apparently solid action flick, Soderbergh is usually realiable and entertaining in genre mode.

6 - Youth of the Beast - A Seijun Suzuki film that I know nothing about, which is possibly the best thing going in to a Seijun Suzuki film.

7 - Paths of Glory - Early Kubrick and what little I know about it seems very interesting.

8 - Frank - Lenny Abrahamson's latest film, his other films that I've seen have been brilliant.

9 - 13 Assassins - Takashi Miike's acclaimed samurai epic is one that I've not caught yet, must make amends.

10- Achilles and the Tortoise - new - final film of Kitano's 'surrealist autobiographical trilogy'...[Catching up with Kitano 2/4]

Shame No More: [27] [top three] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel | Glory to the Filmmaker!

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Go watch Frank! Very insightful and hilarious film if you know anything about aspiring hipster / avant garde musicians and satirizes them well, as well as having a generally awesome narrative.

Shame List!

1. Casablanca - I have tried two or three times to watch this but it just bores me to tears within the first 30 minutes and I give up. I need a pointer as to what to watch it "for", because I feel like I'm missing a trick with it being counted as one of the greatest movies of all time almost universally.

2. Metropolis - A film that keeps popping its head up all over the place in references and discussion, but I have never seen. Unlike Casablanca I've not even attempted this one, and have no real aversion to giving it a try except for older / black and white films tend to have fairly poor audio fidelity due to aging which sometimes keeps me away from old classics.

3. Weekend at Bernie's - My only experience of this film is similar to that of my experience of Metropolis - only know of it from references by others. It seems to have had some influence in 1980 / 90s dark comedy though.

4. The notebook - I know nothing about it other than the premise as described on IMDB and its IMDB rating.

les fleurs du mall fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 10, 2014

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Quickscope420dad posted:

1. Casablanca - I have tried two or three times to watch this but it just bores me to tears within the first 30 minutes and I give up. I need a pointer as to what to watch it "for", because I feel like I'm missing a trick with it being counted as one of the greatest movies of all time almost universally.

Quite the eclectic list...I choose this.

Dersu Uzala is very different territory for Kurosawa, and it's fantastic. The friendship at the heart of the film is very touching. When Vladimir and Dersu see each other for the first time in several years, the excitement in both of their voices is heartwarming. I really want a good transfer on Blu-Ray because the landscapes and the wilderness would really pop. Even still, it's a breathtaking odyssey. It's great watching the Russians, at first, ridicule Dersu for his odd way of speaking and living before developing love, understanding, and respect. At its core, it is a story about a beautiful friendship...something we all long for.

Reading up on it afterwards, I saw that this was the first movie Kurosawa made after attempting to kill himself. Selfish though I may be, the films that would never have been made had he been successful (specifically this and Ran) are among his best. I really need to read a proper biography of the man.

LIST O SHAME:

1920s - Pandora's Box (1928) - Know next to nothing about it except a former co-worker was fascinated by it.

1930s - Bringing Up Baby (1938) - Was always worried I wouldn't find it interesting or funny.

1940s - Monsieur Verdoux (1947) - Later Chaplin, I've heard mixed things.

1950s - Ordet (1955) - Dreyer is not exactly a blind spot, but I'm certainly not as well versed in his films as I'd like.

1960s - Blast of Silence (1961) - Was at a screening of The Killing a few months back, and one of the hosts mentioned this as one of his favourite noirs.

1970s - Brewster McCloud (1970) - Not many American filmmakers were as great as Altman in the 70s.

1980s - Cobra Verde (1987) - Time to watch more of my Herzog/Kinski box set I bought ages ago.

1990s - Topsy-Turvy (1999) - Saw a trailer for this when I was in high school. Thought it looked lame. I've since grown up a tad and have liked what I've seen from Mike Leigh (Happy Go-Lucky and Naked)

2000 and up - George Washington (2000) - The only film by David Gordon Green I have seen is Pineapple Express. Apparently his early films are nothing like that. Slight edit...I've since seen Prince Avalanche and liked it a ton.

Bonus/Random - Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (2011) - the Filmspotting guys really love this.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront, Grave of the Fireflies, Rebecca, The Sweet Hereafter, Peeping Tom, Drunken Angel, Duck Soup, Key Largo, Witness for the Prosecution, The Lady From Shanghai, Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages, Safety Last!, King Kong, Anatomy of a Murder, In a Lonely Place, Safe, Bad Day at Black Rock, The General, The Magnificent Ambersons, Five Easy Pieces, Porco Rosso, Mystery Train, Rififi, The King of Comedy, The Straight Story, The Kid, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carlos, Onibaba, It Happened One Night, Sherlock Jr., Lone Star, Foreign Correspondent, The Last Detail, Young Mr. Lincoln, Rope, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, The Man Who Laughs, Husbands and Wives, Reds, Sweet Smell of Success, Shadow of a Doubt, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The African Queen, The Lower Depths, Frankenstein, Broadcast News, La Strada, The Last Laugh, Stagecoach, Alexander Nevsky, Don't Look Now, Fish Tank, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Days of Heaven, The Killer, Nosferatu, The Naked Kiss, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Jules et Jim, Mon Oncle, Howl's Moving Castle, Y Tu Mama Tambien, A Night at the Opera, Berberian Sound Studio, The Natural, Kwaidan, The Color of Money, Fanny and Alexander, Repo Man, The Breakfast Club, The Passenger, The King of Marvin Gardens, The Goonies, Z, Ashes and Diamonds, L'Atalante, All Quiet on the Western Front, L'Age D'Or, The Earrings of Madame De..., La Notte, Europa, World on a Wire, Andrei Rublev, Dersu Uzala (TOTAL: 160)

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

I haven't seen it myself, but you seem to be pretty enthusiastic about seeing Brewster McCloud.

The Iron Giant was really good, not to mention an excellent example of how to effectively make a film work on multiple levels and for different audiences. On the surface, it works quite well on it's own merits as a solid animated film with a simple but well-written screenplay and a great character dynamic between Hogarth and the Giant. The film is also quite effective as an allegorical critique of political warfare and abuse of power, further compounded by the Cold War setting. All in all, a really solid film all around, and about on par with Brad Bird's later efforts at Pixar.

My List:

4. Good Morning Vietnam - Continuing my Robin Williams film spree with one of the films that really put him on the map.

5. Back to the Future 2 - Thought I added this after watching the first film for the thread for some reason, but apparently I didn't, so I'm adding it now.

6. Zombieland - I love horror comedies like Shaun of the Dead, The Cabin in the Woods and Evil Dead 2, but never got around to watching this one despite receiving a sizable amount of praise itself.

7. Fight Club - Often see this regarded as Fincher's magnum opus. The only thing I know going in is the first rule about Fight Club, which I'm not at liberty to talk about.

8. The Shawshank Redemption - I don't know much aside from bits of the ending, and even then I'm pretty vague on at best. I also know that it's considered one of the best films of all time, even topping the IMDb Top 250 list, so there's probably no excuse for me to have not seen it yet.

9. Jackie Brown - The only Tarantino movie I have left to see aside from Death Proof. I know that it's a crime drama that pays heavy tribute to 1970's blaxploitation films (a genre that I admittedly have just about zero personal experience with), and basically nothing else.

10. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - I need to watch more Kubrick and love black comedy, so I pretty much owe it to myself to start with what is commonly regarded as the best of the genre.

Deshamed (24): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting, Wayne's World, One Hour Photo, This is the End, Inglourious Basterds, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, John Carpenter's The Thing, The Social Network, The Blair Witch Project, The Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, Fantasia, Kill Bill, The Iron Giant

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
Trash Boat, you can watch Dr Strangelove. It's great.

So last night spent the last hour and a bit looking at Hitchcock's Rope. Very good film, not quite what I was expecting, I think I may have gotten it and Strangers on a Train mixed up in my head. The startling opening of the film caught me off guard but quickly establishes that this isn’t a film about a person getting murdered, but about the people doing the murdering. The long takes and the way the camera follows the actors around add to the creeping feeling of unease as the film goes on. The contrast with how Brandon and Philip act as the film goes on is interesting too, with Philip obviously in over his head and Brandon revelling in his plan even when it starts to go awry. The dialogue is darkly funny and the performances were mostly very good (the guy playing Philip gets a bit too overwrought and James Stewart has a few wooden moments).

I recommend this film to everyone, even those of you who don’t plan on strangling people.

List of shame:

1. Shame. I thought the other two McQueen films (Hunger and Twelve Years a Slave) were great and have been meaning to check it out. Plus this thread has the word "shame" in the title and reminded me of it.

2. Jaws. I've never seen it, and probably should. I know that it both is and isn't about a shark.

3. Barry Lyndon. A Kubrick film I haven't seen. This must be rectified.

4. Manhunter. I've heard that Brian Cox plays Lecter a bit more understated than talking ham Anthony Hopkins.

5. Schindler's List. One of those very highly regarded films I think I'm supposed to have seen despite it seeming like it might be a bit of a slog.

6. The Third Man. Everyone says this is great. I'm sure it is. Do do do do do do de do.

7. Don’t Look Now. gently caress you, title-of-classic-Donald-Sutherland-film! I’ll look at this whenever I want. Or more specifically whenever someone else in the thread picks it for me.(New)

8. The Lives of Others. Award winning. German. A film. These are the things I know about The Lives of Others. I should learn more.

9. The Elephant Man. "I am not an animal!" Or is he? I'll let yis know once I watch this.

10. The Searchers. John Wayne. John Ford. Something about ribbons, maybe that's a different film.

List of pride: Rope

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Barry Lyndon. Be prepared for a 3 hour film, though. It's the Kubrick film for Kubrick fans, in the same way people say "Jazz is musician's music" I guess.

Casablanca's first act was tedious and full of clearly disposable, low-quality actors. A lot of the first and second act seemed superfluous and made it hard to give it the time of day, but the third act was great. I have three criteria for a good film: 1. It takes more than one viewing to absorb its true glory 2. Like a good piece of music, you should desire to experience it again and again indefinitely. 3. There is more to it than its narrative. For Casablanca, I feel like only 1. is necessarily true. I would have to watch this film again to appreciate it properly, but I'm not sure I'm entirely driven to, and it does seem to be purely narrative (for example, the cinematography is not spectacular). You're welcome to totally disagree with me, but I think whilst this is probably a good film, lording it as one of the greatest films of all time is inappropriate regardless of common opinion.

My list:

1. Metropolis - A film that keeps popping its head up all over the place in references and discussion, but I have never seen. Unlike Casablanca I've not even attempted this one, and have no real aversion to giving it a try except for older / black and white films tend to have fairly poor audio fidelity due to aging which sometimes keeps me away from old classics.

2. Weekend at Bernie's - My only experience of this film is similar to that of my experience of Metropolis - only know of it from references by others. It seems to have had some influence in 1980 / 90s dark comedy though.

3. The notebook - I know nothing about it other than the premise as described on IMDB and its IMDB rating.

4. The original Planet of The Apes franchise - I have seen none of these in their entirety and have always seen them as kinda cheesy and weak, but have thoroughly enjoyed the two recent films and am now curious about the old ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

I admittedly can't speak from personal experience, but if you enjoyed the modern films, it might be worth checking out the original Planet of the Apes.

Dr. Strangelove was just a really sharply written movie, deftly combining dry, biting satire with a handful of laugh out loud moments. I really don't have much taht hasn't already been said. Peter Sellers' tri-layered performance was great (my personal favourite being Captain Mandrake), and I loved George C. Scott's manic energy and use of facial expressions.

My List:

4. Good Morning Vietnam - Continuing my Robin Williams film spree with one of the films that really put him on the map.

5. Back to the Future 2 - Thought I added this after watching the first film for the thread for some reason, but apparently I didn't, so I'm adding it now.

6. Zombieland - I love horror comedies like Shaun of the Dead, The Cabin in the Woods and Evil Dead 2, but never got around to watching this one despite receiving a sizable amount of praise itself.

7. Fight Club - Often see this regarded as Fincher's magnum opus. The only thing I know going in is the first rule about Fight Club, which I'm not at liberty to talk about.

8. The Shawshank Redemption - I don't know much aside from bits of the ending, and even then I'm pretty vague on at best. I also know that it's considered one of the best films of all time, even topping the IMDb Top 250 list, so there's probably no excuse for me to have not seen it yet.

9. Jackie Brown - The only Tarantino movie I have left to see aside from Death Proof. I know that it's a crime drama that pays heavy tribute to 1970's blaxploitation films (a genre that I admittedly have just about zero personal experience with), and basically nothing else.

10. 2001: A Space Odyssey - About time I finally got around to this one. Truth be told, I'd been somewhat hesitant to just jump right into it given how by all accounts it practically demands multiple viewings to get a full understanding and appreciation of, so I'll definitely keep it in mind as a first viewing experience. I might also see about watching it with one of my friends who adores the film to make the first viewing a bit more palatable.

Deshamed (25): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting, Wayne's World, One Hour Photo, This is the End, Inglourious Basterds, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, John Carpenter's The Thing, The Social Network, The Blair Witch Project, The Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, Fantasia, Kill Bill, The Iron Giant, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb