Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ramadu posted:

Yeah that doesn't work

What phone? Press them at the same time and hold, just did that on Pixel 4a anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/1311045695965736967

MKBHD apparently testing Portrait Mode...probably on the Pixel 5 since he's well-known at this point to have devices in-hand for weeks before others.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What specifically interests you?

I'm not that poster but:

Fingerprint reader
Plastic coated metal frame (I think?)
Large battery
No curved screen
No notch

Things I'm not a fan of:

Bottom firing speaker
Camera hole punch in screen
No waterproofing (? Not sure, but I haven't seen it mentioned in the leaks)

These aren't deal breakers for me, but I am completely fine with bezels being big enough to make room for cameras and speakers. I do not get the obsession with making the front of the phone 100% screen, the tradeoffs are far bigger than that minor novelty, IMO.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taffer posted:

No waterproofing (? Not sure, but I haven't seen it mentioned in the leaks)

Uh I think you can be pretty certain there will be waterproofing. It's basically a standard now.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Taffer posted:

These aren't deal breakers for me, but I am completely fine with bezels being big enough to make room for cameras and speakers. I do not get the obsession with making the front of the phone 100% screen, the tradeoffs are far bigger than that minor novelty, IMO.

I used to think this way with my Nexus 6p, but less than a month of my Pixel 4a has spoiled me for bezel-less forever. Using my 6p feels weirdly constraining now despite an only slightly smaller screen in a way it never did before.

So of course we'll probably be back to huge rear end bezels on google phones in a few years when I have to trade-in again.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I have a Samsung A20 phone that I dropped in the water a few days ago. Its still alive, but the touchscreen and charging is acting super flaky. Anyway, at the swipe screen, its showing the following icon:

https://imgur.com/DyDXw36

...it looks like a mushroom in a circle? Any idea what the heck it means? I've had no luck looking it up.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cyril Sneer posted:

I have a Samsung A20 phone that I dropped in the water a few days ago. Its still alive, but the touchscreen and charging is acting super flaky. Anyway, at the swipe screen, its showing the following icon:

https://imgur.com/DyDXw36

...it looks like a mushroom in a circle? Any idea what the heck it means? I've had no luck looking it up.

That's the Android Q logo for Android 10...not sure why it's showing up though. It means the OS is doing something at the least.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

ThermoPhysical posted:

That's the Android Q logo for Android 10...not sure why it's showing up though. It means the OS is doing something at the least.

Weird, literally never seen it before.

Anyway, I was able to get through the swipe screen after which it said "phone is starting" with a blue progress line, for a second or two. Also never seen that happen before. The phone has since been working normally. I strongly suspect there's something up with either the charging or charge level indicator and that if I remove it from power, it'll go flaky again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What specifically interests you?

Textured outside, especially with the green colorway. Compact size. I bounce between larger and smaller phones and this will be the smallest yet with a high refresh rate display. Flat display too, curved just feels so dated.

I honestly hate cases so I've never liked non-durable outer finishes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cyril Sneer posted:

Weird, literally never seen it before.

Anyway, I was able to get through the swipe screen after which it said "phone is starting" with a blue progress line, for a second or two. Also never seen that happen before. The phone has since been working normally. I strongly suspect there's something up with either the charging or charge level indicator and that if I remove it from power, it'll go flaky again.

I've only ever seen that icon when it's doing cleanup work after a system update.

Taffer posted:

A-loving-men

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
At the rate things are going I assumed that in a few years the entire surface of the phone, front and back and edges, will all be touch screen and the only way to use it without controlling it by accident is to levitate it with your mind.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Samurai Sanders posted:

At the rate things are going I assumed that in a few years the entire surface of the phone, front and back and edges, will all be touch screen and the only way to use it without controlling it by accident is to levitate it with your mind.

Douglas Adams posted:

The machine was rather difficult to operate. For years radios had been operated by means of pressing buttons and turning dials; then as the technology became more sophisticated the controls were made touch-sensitive--you merely had to brush the panels with your fingers; now all you had to do was wave your hand in the general direction of the components and hope. It saved a lot of muscular expenditure, of course, but meant that you had to sit infuriatingly still if you wanted to keep listening to the same program.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That man was a visionary in more ways than one.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://launchnightin.withgoogle.com/en/

Anyone know what the jazz track is playing in the background?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

As simple as it is, it might be AI generated, or just composed by someone at Google.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Phone will also be so big that they will just merge with self driving cars and be their windshield.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hehe, that's cool!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

E: eh never mind

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sounds like the AI generated tracks you can set as an alarm on Google assistant devices

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'd legitimately listen to an album of AI jazz if that's the kind of thing it generates. Love me some slow jazz.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Google may google, but given how this is a virtual event called "Launch Night In", it would be dumb even for google to not actually launch the main thing at the event.

Looks like they're not gonna be Googling today.

https://store.google.com/us/magazine/financing

There's a (not working yet) link down towards the bottom of this page for the Pixel 5 and 4a 5G. Pixel 5 only comes in Black and Green and the Pixel 4a 5G only comes in Black.

https://store.google.com/us/config/pixel_5

https://store.google.com/us/config/pixel_4a_5g

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fyi mash some buttons on the keyboard with that waiting page, tickle them ivories a bit

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I am so excited

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'd legitimately listen to an album of AI jazz if that's the kind of thing it generates. Love me some slow jazz.

Says a lot about real jazz if a computer can just make some poo poo up

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

I am so excited

wait, launch night starts at 11am pacific? :confused:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

wait, launch night starts at 11am pacific? :confused:

With all the wildfire smoke on the west coast (even as far as here in vancouver bc) it may as well be night :smith:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

There's talk of Google making a small amount of these due to low buying from Pixel 4 and also the pandemic...might have to hurry and preorder fast.

Though enough people on Reddit and Twitter claim the phone will be crap and will inevitably be the worst phone ever in a few years because of the processor. So we'll probably be fine. :v:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I bought my wife a Pixel 3a XL back in March. I bought it on eBay because at that time, if I recall correctly, the actual Google store didn't have them in stock.

Anyway today she was using it, taking a screen shot and the phone simply turned off. She said her phone was complaining of low storage when it happened but I doubt it is the cause.

Now no matter what we try we can't turn the phone on. When I plug the phone into a charger (I tried like 4 different cables and 3 different chargers) all that happens is a charging icon shows up for a few seconds and then disappears. If I unplug the phone it disappears immediately. I have tried holding the power button for 30 seconds, and the power + volume down for 30 seconds and nothing is happening.

She didn't drop the phone or anything, so I doubt it's a motherboard issue. I am suspecting it's probably the battery somehow, but that would be weird because she had zero issues with the battery a day prior. It's not like the battery was depleting quickly or not lasting all day or anything.

I tried calling Google customer support but they said the warranty ended in August and they could not make an exception, so that avenue is out the window.

My questions are:

1) She charges her phone using this 6-prong wall outlet thing we have in the bedroom that also has two USB ports on top. It's this thing:

She plugs them into one of the two USB ports on the top. Could that somehow damage the phone?

2) Does anyone know of anything else I can try to fix the phone? Any other weird button combos I might not know about?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I bought my wife a Pixel 3a XL back in March. I bought it on eBay because at that time, if I recall correctly, the actual Google store didn't have them in stock.

Anyway today she was using it, taking a screen shot and the phone simply turned off. She said her phone was complaining of low storage when it happened but I doubt it is the cause.

Now no matter what we try we can't turn the phone on. When I plug the phone into a charger (I tried like 4 different cables and 3 different chargers) all that happens is a charging icon shows up for a few seconds and then disappears. If I unplug the phone it disappears immediately. I have tried holding the power button for 30 seconds, and the power + volume down for 30 seconds and nothing is happening.

She didn't drop the phone or anything, so I doubt it's a motherboard issue. I am suspecting it's probably the battery somehow, but that would be weird because she had zero issues with the battery a day prior. It's not like the battery was depleting quickly or not lasting all day or anything.

I tried calling Google customer support but they said the warranty ended in August and they could not make an exception, so that avenue is out the window.

My questions are:

1) She charges her phone using this 6-prong wall outlet thing we have in the bedroom that also has two USB ports on top. It's this thing:

She plugs them into one of the two USB ports on the top. Could that somehow damage the phone?

2) Does anyone know of anything else I can try to fix the phone? Any other weird button combos I might not know about?

It sounds like it needs to charge. What happens if you plug it in and just leave it alone? Put it on an official Google charger if you have one?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Clean out the charging port with a toothpick or similar to be sure it's going to charge, put it on the charger that came in the box with it, leave it alone for at least a couple hours, then unplug it and hold down the power button until it turns on.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

sourdough posted:

Clean out the charging port with a toothpick or similar to be sure it's going to charge, put it on the charger that came in the box with it, leave it alone for at least a couple hours, then unplug it and hold down the power button until it turns on.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try cleaning out the charging port (using that tool they give you to take out the SIM card) and it was as clean as a whistle in there. I don't think it's related to the charging port at all because if I plug it in and leave it on the counter (meaning, nothing is moved), it will show the charging icon for about 3 seconds and then it disappears. It will reappear if I keep the phone plugged in and hold power for a few seconds.

I have had it plugged in for a few hours now with the original charger and nothing so far.

ThermoPhysical posted:

It sounds like it needs to charge. What happens if you plug it in and just leave it alone? Put it on an official Google charger if you have one?

Thank you for the reply as well. It's no different with the Google charger.

If I plug it in and leave it alone, nothing really happens. The battery charging icon (the one that you get when the phone is off) shows up and then disappears, as if it lost power after 3 seconds.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

With all the wildfire smoke on the west coast (even as far as here in vancouver bc) it may as well be night :smith:

In Seattle we've just got the high altitude smoke to give you the "living on mars orange effect", I guess I'll just eat my own candy then :(

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thank you for the reply as well. It's no different with the Google charger.

If I plug it in and leave it alone, nothing really happens. The battery charging icon (the one that you get when the phone is off) shows up and then disappears, as if it lost power after 3 seconds.

No problem! Honestly, it sounds like the phone is shutting off to protect itself from completely dropping to 0% battery (when you see 0%, it's not exactly 0%..but yah). It may take a while for it to charge up. The icon leaving is normal though, it's not supposed to stay on the screen.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try cleaning out the charging port (using that tool they give you to take out the SIM card)
that's the "bridge electrical contacts" tool

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

butt dickus posted:

that's the "bridge electrical contacts" tool

lol yeah ideally you use something plastic or wooden. It probably didn't damage anything, but also probably don't go poking in there with something metal again.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pixel 4's trade in is $250, Pixel 4 XL's trade in is $300.

You can now have the P4 line as a trade in device for the 4a.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Pixel 4's trade in is $250, Pixel 4 XL's trade in is $300.

You can now have the P4 line as a trade in device for the 4a.

Any idea if the trade-in is available in Canada? I'm guessing not lol

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Any idea if the trade-in is available in Canada? I'm guessing not lol

I'm not sure, unfortunately. :(

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The music on this stream "slaps" as the kids say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

why cant I skip forward