Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Earwicker posted:

and your milk comes in a bag

Ugh if I had a dollar for every time I had to explain (slowly) to Americans that bagged milk only applies to certain regions of Ontario and Quebec and the rest of the country gets it in cartons, jugs, and bottles like civilized cultures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Do analogue hygrometers go bad? I just realized the two at least 25 year old ones I have in my house (living room and basement) both say 90% humidity. I'm fairly certain it is not that damp in here. I checked my thermostat in the exact same room as the living room hygrometer, and it says 52%, which I'm inclined to believe. What's going on here?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t know what the state of the art is, but antique analogue hygrometers frequently used natural fibres (wild oat beard was a good one) that can decay with age.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Are Americans just overly talkative or are Europeans just weirdly standoffish? I’m American and every British and European I’ve met is so weirdly introverted and averse to small talk.

I don’t know how people reproduce in these countries because it seems like they don’t enjoy talking to anyone.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

sponges posted:

Are Americans just overly talkative or are Europeans just weirdly standoffish?
Yes and Yes.

sponges posted:

I don’t know how people reproduce in these countries because it seems like they don’t enjoy talking to anyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ivsb79-h90

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is there a good program to splice commentaries onto videos, or just playing an mp3 file with a video at the same time? I have some commentaries / riffTrax type things I want to listen too, but it's kind of a pain in the rear end getting the two to line up.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

sponges posted:

Are Americans just overly talkative or are Europeans just weirdly standoffish? I’m American and every British and European I’ve met is so weirdly introverted and averse to small talk.

The general stereotype of Americans is that they are loud and extremely talkative and I have to admit it’s true a lot of the time.
Europeans are probably quieter in general though it really depends on where you are. You may think Germans are quiet but just wait till you go to northern Sweden :v:
Totally anecdotally, some nationalities like the Brits seem to become exponentially louder if they are in a group rather than alone.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

The general stereotype of Americans is that they are loud and extremely talkative and I have to admit it’s true a lot of the time.
Europeans are probably quieter in general though it really depends on where you are. You may think Germans are quiet but just wait till you go to northern Sweden :v:
Totally anecdotally, some nationalities like the Brits seem to become exponentially louder if they are in a group rather than alone.

That’s fair. My experience with Europeans is that they almost come across like they have social anxiety disorder or aspergers. The aversion to idle chit chat is loving weird to me.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I was in America for a bit and found the constant need to have overly long chats obnoxious. Didn't matter if I was at a coffee shop or diner or supermarket, you can't just do your business and leave, you always get roped into a game of 50 questions. But maybe it's worse if you're very clearly a tourist. I was having an operation at the time as well and I found it really weird and uncomfortable that a fair few people would bluntly try and broach the topic of what actually happened, in vivid detail.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Fruits of the sea posted:

That's because alcohol will be involved.
Brits only talk to each other when slightly drunk.

Australians are pretty loud but that's because they have to make themselves heard over the noise of the birds.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Goons Are Great posted:

Actually, do other countries also do that? I know it's rather rare in Europe, but no idea about the UK. What about Canada? Australia? Are overflowing toilets an Anglo-Saxon thing or is it us Europeans being the dry weirdos?
Pretty sure it's just Americans who have the big full bowl of water that apparently clogs if you look at it funny.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

sponges posted:

That’s fair. My experience with Europeans is that they almost come across like they have social anxiety disorder or aspergers. The aversion to idle chit chat is loving weird to me.

Yeah, in most cases the person is just being reserved. Also if we’re talking Northern Europe and Scandinavia, people tend to have kinda regimented social groups. They meet their old high school buds every Wednesday, their sports club friends every Friday and their parents every Saturday... so they get their socializing done there.

I love meeting North Americans and talking about super mundane poo poo. It’s kinda relaxing.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Qubee posted:

I was in America for a bit and found the constant need to have overly long chats obnoxious. Didn't matter if I was at a coffee shop or diner or supermarket, you can't just do your business and leave, you always get roped into a game of 50 questions. But maybe it's worse if you're very clearly a tourist. I was having an operation at the time as well and I found it really weird and uncomfortable that a fair few people would bluntly try and broach the topic of what actually happened, in vivid detail.

And there it is. The example I was describing. I thought I was experiencing outliers but here it is.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Do analogue hygrometers go bad? I just realized the two at least 25 year old ones I have in my house (living room and basement) both say 90% humidity. I'm fairly certain it is not that damp in here. I checked my thermostat in the exact same room as the living room hygrometer, and it says 52%, which I'm inclined to believe. What's going on here?
In my experience they come with an adjustment screw. You put them in a damp rag for a while and then set them to 99.99% to calibrate them.

I don't know what it is that makes them go off in the first place, but yeah, provisions should be there to readjust them.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

Ugh if I had a dollar for every time I had to explain (slowly) to Americans that bagged milk only applies to certain regions of Ontario and Quebec and the rest of the country gets it in cartons, jugs, and bottles like civilized cultures

All over the Maritimes too! :colbert:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

sponges posted:

And there it is. The example I was describing. I thought I was experiencing outliers but here it is.

Depends on region. I have people pull over cars on major roads when I'm walking my dog to tell me how pretty she is in the south, in NYC people literally ignore crazy people with knives on the subway. In upstate ny you may play 20 questions when you see someone you know, in the south its more anyone you happen to see

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

We Americans can’t shut the gently caress up but also we like our space and don’t you dare get touchy feely with greetings and personal contact . We are very weird. Thanks for yalls outcasts that really did a number on us.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

It's almost like the US has 300 million people who have different cultural norms...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've been reading the Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Rebecca West and it's hilarious and fascinating how she meets like five germans and draws her conclusions about the german people from them.

I really like the book so far but you have to keep in mind that she's one random Brit giving her opinion on every kind of European.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

.....and several farms near me in the US (mideast) were using bags until not all that long ago. It's not unheard of.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

sponges posted:

I have been to the US a fair bit and I definitely find it hard to adjust to the chit chat style over there. The British (and particularly Londoners) do everything they can to not speak to each other in public. Even riding public transport with your nearest and dearest you need to work to overcome your conditioning to have a normal conversation.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
The willingness to engage in idle conversation with strangers is inversely proportional to local population density, regardless of where this is taking place.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

dokmo posted:

The willingness to engage in idle conversation with strangers is inversely proportional to local population density, regardless of where this is taking place.

This actually makes a lot of sense. The chatterers were always out in droves in Big Bear Lake and quiet towns, but in LA most people would just let you do your thing without roping you into an annoying conversation that you politely have to sit through.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

dokmo posted:

This 100%.I've lived in big cities for the past decade and I would never start conversation with anyone in public other than a bartender.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

dokmo posted:

yyyyep. i do not like the cities

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

owlhawk911 posted:

yyyyep. i do not like the cities

Suspect av/post combo

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
can't be sus, is a postin pal

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Platystemon posted:

Suspect av/post combo

lol

Boba Pearl posted:

can't be sus, is a postin pal

:byob1::hf::byob1:

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I’m looking for a photo that made the rounds online. It’s of Canadian shows, either a programming schedule or a list of the most popular programs or most-watched episodes on CBC or something like that. What makes it funny is that it’s dominated by The Big Bang Theory, it’s listed over and over. I think I remember it being a photo, not a screenshot or image.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
When did ironic Halloween costumes become a thing? Watching Hocus Pocus and it might just be because it’s a kid’s movie but nobody even acknowledges the potential for there to be ironic costumes.

I was also a kid so maybe I just took Halloween very seriously but I don’t remember any ironic costumes all through the 90s.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

tuyop posted:

When did ironic Halloween costumes become a thing? Watching Hocus Pocus and it might just be because it’s a kid’s movie but nobody even acknowledges the potential for there to be ironic costumes.

I was also a kid so maybe I just took Halloween very seriously but I don’t remember any ironic costumes all through the 90s.

What's your working definition of an ironic costume? Lazy costumes, like a t-shirt that says "This IS my costume"? A non-character costume? Cause both of those were around in the early 80s for sure. I remember circa 1983 the costume that was voted best custome in my elementary school was a guy wearing a big rear end box painted like a Rubix cube, which was the hot trend that year. And in 5th or 6th grade my friend and I just wore black sweats and went as cat burglars, which was a way to be as lazy as possible. Not sure if that's an ironic costume or not.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

tuyop posted:

What do you consider an ironic costume? Putting on a fake goatee and calling yourself your evil twin? An old school style cheap costume where you have (maybe) a bad plastic mask and a shirt with the image and name of the character you are going as? Are you making a distinction between ironic and low effort?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I’m not sure anymore. I was thinking like, Jim’s costumes from The Office. Costumes that are essentially puns seem different from low-effort costumes. :psyduck:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

tuyop posted:

I’m not sure anymore. I was thinking like, Jim’s costumes from The Office. Costumes that are essentially puns seem different from low-effort costumes. :psyduck:

Looking at gis results for The Office Jim Halloween gave a few examples, and I would put at least 2 of them in the low effort box. Just Wearing a different name tag is right on the border of saying "gently caress your mandatory costume party".

Edit: unless you are committing 100% to the bit. Then it requires extra effort.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
tattoo artist Qs, if you're doing something big and going for multiple sessions tip at very end or each session? also ~ how much is reasonable tip vs you did a grand job thanks

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

breadnsucc posted:

tattoo artist Qs, if you're doing something big and going for multiple sessions tip at very end or each session? also ~ how much is reasonable tip vs you did a grand job thanks

When I had my tattoo done it took two visits, but I only paid at the end of the second.

Edit: errr wait, maybe it was at the end of the first. It was ten years ago and I know I only paid once, because I had this same concern.

QUESTION: Can someone tell me what BYOB is about? About ten years ago I went on a five year hiatus and when I came back that had appeared. Did it just replace FYAD? I thought for a while they both existed...

credburn fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 15, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

credburn posted:

When I had my tattoo done it took two visits, but I only paid at the end of the second.

Edit: errr wait, maybe it was at the end of the first. It was ten years ago and I know I only paid once, because I had this same concern.

QUESTION: Can someone tell me what BYOB is about? About ten years ago I went on a five year hiatus and when I came back that had appeared. Did it just replace FYAD? I thought for a while they both existed...

FYAD would post ironic threads about wanting to gently caress hitler, and some people believed to be FYAD harassed trans people, so it got shut down.

BYOB is a place to be nice to people and also post about smoking weed.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I see. Another question!

I know that language is fluid and there are no rules but indulge me pl'z

"Little" abbreviates as li'l. You don't often see it like that, I think; usually it's like: lil'. But since you're omitting the middle letters and the last letter is silent, it abbreviates to li'l, according to the general practice of elision that I spent some time reading through while trying to find an answer to the question I'm asking: My question is, for a while I've seen people say "imma" and it took me a long time to understand how this is phoneticized*. "Imma" is an abbreviation of "I am going to..." So, even though it doesn't really matter since it's kind of a real casual crunching of syllables that came together by fast-talking people (although inversely I see this being just as beneficial for slow-talking people) and isn't a real word, I'm curious how one would spell this with adherence to the general English use of elision (although I wonder if these rules are different in the UK?). Can a word have more than one apostrophe in it? I can't think of any.

It just looks like a real eyesore of a word. I'm'a? I'm''o?

*I didn't realize how hard it is to describe a phonetic conundrum only by text. I have heard people say "I am going to" very quickly and it comes out sounding like "I'm'uh" but for some reason I didn't connect that with "imma" which I frequently read as "ee-mah"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

credburn posted:

Can a word have more than one apostrophe in it? I can't think of any.

You shouldn't've had that hard a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Memento posted:

You shouldn't've had that hard a time.

*shouldn't've'd