Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
For me, this game is just a place to BE, if that makes sense. I like just existing in the world. I'm not into Savage or Ultimates but I like just about everything else, even if I'm bad at PVP and doing it physically hurts me.

Island Sanctuary: I loved it and I want more content like it. If I could have had a summoning bell there, I'd never leave.

Gear: I kind of like not caring about stats that much. I just like to look cool. I was kind of let down by a lot of glams in EW; they didn't quite hit what I necessarily want in a look, but there were some choice pieces I enjoyed. I did like the relic TOOLS having interesting effects on them, like a 1.75x increase to quality under Good condition. It's not something they could do for weapons, but I like that they're trying things like that for DoH and DoL.

ARR relic grind: I like the idea of having a broader storyline and a big adventure that you have to go on to get rare pieces of equipment as a concept, but my boring adult schedule certainly appreciated just being able to get 1,500 tomes per step and call it a day. I like more engagement with the open world and more travelling to far reaches of it, though flying has definitely cut down on that.

Ultimately, this is a theme park MMO -- the Content is instanced and the world itself is there for a first pass through the MSQ, aside from FATEs and hunts. FATEs are very basic and don't do much, aside from a couple of things like that big storyline in the Steppe, and hunts are practically automated at this point. FFXIV I think does a good job of trying to create a compelling virtual world while also recognizing that gamers are gonna game and that players are very good at drilling down systems to develop the path of least resistance to optimization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I'm one of those lunatics that misses several of the Stormblood-iterations of certain jobs including MCH and AST. I'll level them to max but only begrudgingly. Same with MNK & SCH. I've never quite jived with the MNK playstyle and I miss the old SCH. Please just remove fey tether, I beg of you yoship...

But speaking as an old FFXI player (I also WORKED on the game, mind you)... I would bounce off FFXIV instantly if it were anything like FFXI in regards to gearing.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

HackensackBackpack posted:

Gear: I kind of like not caring about stats that much. I just like to look cool. I was kind of let down by a lot of glams in EW; they didn't quite hit what I necessarily want in a look, but there were some choice pieces I enjoyed. I did like the relic TOOLS having interesting effects on them, like a 1.75x increase to quality under Good condition. It's not something they could do for weapons, but I like that they're trying things like that for DoH and DoL..

didn’t know they were putting bonus stuff like that on the tools. that’s cool!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Note Block posted:

I'm one of those lunatics that misses several of the Stormblood-iterations of certain jobs including MCH and AST. I'll level them to max but only begrudgingly. Same with MNK & SCH. I've never quite jived with the MNK playstyle and I miss the old SCH. Please just remove fey tether, I beg of you yoship...

But speaking as an old FFXI player (I also WORKED on the game, mind you)... I would bounce off FFXIV instantly if it were anything like FFXI in regards to gearing.

StB was the high water mark of job design imo. inshallah we will climb back to that peak in 8.0

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ImpAtom posted:

poo poo, you want an example, look at Bozja/Eureka where you were absolutely expected to have Very Specific Lost Actions and to get your Eureka/Bozja levels as high as possible for any content that wasn't smashing bosses into the ground. And people pretty vocally hated things like grinding for Lost Actions. Lord knows I saw more than one BA run get salty as hell because someone sniped and didn't bring the Required LA meaning someone who went down stayed down.

Hell, a non insignificant amount of people weren't doing their jobquests in Stormblood to unlock their capstone ability. And before that, people wouldn't unlock their important cross-class skills.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

HackensackBackpack posted:

For me, this game is just a place to BE, if that makes sense. I like just existing in the world. I'm not into Savage or Ultimates but I like just about everything else, even if I'm bad at PVP and doing it physically hurts me.

Island Sanctuary: I loved it and I want more content like it. If I could have had a summoning bell there, I'd never leave.

Gear: I kind of like not caring about stats that much. I just like to look cool. I was kind of let down by a lot of glams in EW; they didn't quite hit what I necessarily want in a look, but there were some choice pieces I enjoyed. I did like the relic TOOLS having interesting effects on them, like a 1.75x increase to quality under Good condition. It's not something they could do for weapons, but I like that they're trying things like that for DoH and DoL.

ARR relic grind: I like the idea of having a broader storyline and a big adventure that you have to go on to get rare pieces of equipment as a concept, but my boring adult schedule certainly appreciated just being able to get 1,500 tomes per step and call it a day. I like more engagement with the open world and more travelling to far reaches of it, though flying has definitely cut down on that.

Ultimately, this is a theme park MMO -- the Content is instanced and the world itself is there for a first pass through the MSQ, aside from FATEs and hunts. FATEs are very basic and don't do much, aside from a couple of things like that big storyline in the Steppe, and hunts are practically automated at this point. FFXIV I think does a good job of trying to create a compelling virtual world while also recognizing that gamers are gonna game and that players are very good at drilling down systems to develop the path of least resistance to optimization.

This is almost exactly how I feel about it.

I've been playing FFXIV since 2013. Sometimes I take a little break, but I always return. It's a familiar, comfortable place. It's the closest thing to a "third space" for me. I enjoy just being in the world. Sometimes I'll chase a goal, sometimes I'll just log in and hang out at someone's house and chat while we pretend we're watching TV.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Build diversity in XIV is exactly: do you prefer your samurai slow or fast? More or less everything else has a mathed out Correct answer but at least that one remains close enough in performance that you can go with personal preference.

Well technically blue mage has room for an incredible variety of builds but they're banned from DF because nobody wants to deal with the once in a blue moon case of somebody who queues up only knowing the default squirt gun.

In some ways this keeps the game healthy because it limits party drama. There are cases where a party may not be recruiting the specific job you're playing on, but nobody is ever barred from participation in general content. Gearing gets included into that too, since if you're at least wearing level appropriate equipment the only things that separate you from other players is skill and fight knowledge.

But admittedly it does make jobs feel pretty same-y after a while.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Gear should have custom effects that really matter - spell effects. If people will farm 100 extreme trials for a green version of a mount they already have, I'm sure they'd do something equally grindy to turn Flare green or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AngusPodgorny posted:

Gear should have custom effects that really matter - spell effects. If people will farm 100 extreme trials for a green version of a mount they already have, I'm sure they'd do something equally grindy to turn Flare green or whatever.

This is genuinely something I'm surprised they haven't done as an unlockable thing. Even just allowing you to use older versions of spells instead of the current ones would probably be something people would grind for.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I think it's just because they're really slow about cosmetic things in general, for whatever reasons. Also nobody has cornered yoship at a fanfest and asked for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I remember ages and ages ago YoshiP mentioned they were looking into special emotes for classes that let you do certain actions as a reward for leveling the class to max, like being able to use the holy animation on any class. I was always a bit sad that never happened.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Thundarr posted:

Build diversity in XIV is exactly: do you prefer your samurai slow or fast? More or less everything else has a mathed out Correct answer but at least that one remains close enough in performance that you can go with personal preference.

You can also choose whether to have your black mage go slow or fast! I think I also saw an argument for skillspeed monk somewhere but I don't know if it ended up bearing out.

I think the incredibly proscribed job building/performance is good, though, because a lot of "build diversity" or "exciting items" or whatever ends up being some combination of a false choice or President Lisa Simpson's temporary refund adjustment. Like, okay, say there's a special item set that replaces every third Xenoglossy a BLM casts with Ultima instead.

...you mean you coded in and balanced an Ultima spell and then took it out of my kit until I roll well in some optional raid? I have to play half the game without Ultima, now? gently caress you!

Similarly, the same work that could hypothetically produce a second spec or build or talent tree or whatever for a given job could, instead, just produce a new job. Like, it'd be cool if you could choose between playing a more melee-focused RDM and casting-focused RDM, sure, but in the same sense that it'd be cool if they released twice as many dungeons and four times as many new jobs, all still up to standard and well-balanced, in their usual patch cycle. In practice, there's going to be one correct way to play any given specialization, so it's equivalent to its own job anyway, so why not cut out the middleman?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Let me get a doodad that changes the color of sage lasers. Then let me use it as an oGCD.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

poo poo, you want an example, look at Bozja/Eureka where you were absolutely expected to have Very Specific Lost Actions and to get your Eureka/Bozja levels as high as possible for any content that wasn't smashing bosses into the ground. And people pretty vocally hated things like grinding for Lost Actions. Lord knows I saw more than one BA run get salty as hell because someone sniped and didn't bring the Required LA meaning someone who went down stayed down.

It's fine to have places like Eureka and Bozja partitioned off for people who like that kind of gameplay. Not everything has to be tailored to your playstyle.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I can see why they kept in actions-as-resources; hypothetically if you could just acquire them permanently and recharge them free at camp, then you'd eventually run out of people doing the stuff that gets you the actions in the first place. That said, I think they should still try it to see if that actually holds up, since it seems like loads of people will just do bozja for the sake of doing bozja

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Echoing that cosmetic unlockables for actions would be cool, but I think it'd be kind of hard to pitch given how many people play with other players' effects off and half the point of the cosmetic would be for other players to see it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Blockhouse posted:

FFXI absolutely has optimal gear to the point where a Bard without the three super-expensive/grindy ultimate weapons can expect to not get invited to any kind of actual content because their contribution is going to be negligible. Every job is in fact expected to have several sets of optimal gear.

Back when I played basic leveling parties would blacklist you if you hadn't camped a lizard for a week to get her boots for an extra +1 stat.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ferrinus posted:

You can also choose whether to have your black mage go slow or fast! I think I also saw an argument for skillspeed monk somewhere but I don't know if it ended up bearing out.

I imagine the problem with that would have been the Demolish and Twin snake timers. But hey, now that they're gone Maximum Speed Monk is here! :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hyper Inferno posted:

Echoing that cosmetic unlockables for actions would be cool, but I think it'd be kind of hard to pitch given how many people play with other players' effects off and half the point of the cosmetic would be for other players to see it.

Half the point of musical instruments is to force everyone around you to listen to an incredibly badly done version of Livin; La Vida Loca and they still let you mute those. :colbert:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

An Actual Princess posted:

didn’t know they were putting bonus stuff like that on the tools. that’s cool!

It was really interesting and I hope they do more of it. They're fairly minor boosts and nothing that breaks the game, but it gives an extra reason to grind those out. Crafting/Gathering is part of the game where stats go further too, I feel, so having an extra quality boost when Good procs or getting I think it's a boost to Intuition for gathering tools is a fun little tweak to make the relic tools special.

AngusPodgorny posted:

This would genuinely be cool. Even if all it is is different colours for spell effects, they could create an entirely new "dye" category. Or they could revive old animations or change them around or something. Like, imagine doing your DRK combo but it looks like a SAM combo. Functionally the same, but cosmetically different.

Frankly, all I really want is universal glams. Keep the AF gear tied to jobs, and obviously keep the role designation on gear, but for the purposes of glamour, I just want to be able to wear Fending as a Black Mage or Maiming as a Bard.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Back when I played basic leveling parties would blacklist you if you hadn't camped a lizard for a week to get her boots for an extra +1 stat.

I never saw anyone be anything but mildly catty about Leaping Boots/Emp Pin/Sniper’s Rings. People usually would spread rumors behind your back that you RMT’d if you did have them though

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Chillgamesh posted:

I never saw anyone be anything but mildly catty about Leaping Boots/Emp Pin/Sniper’s Rings. People usually would spread rumors behind your back that you RMT’d if you did have them though

That's projection right there

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Note Block posted:

That's projection right there

I did know one guy who RMT’d like a couple bucks for 60 mil back when rusty caps were causing extreme inflation, then promptly quit the game before spending any of it. He came back like two years later after most of the excess gil had drained from the economy and was absurdly rich lmao

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I love that FF14 offers a good experience and even the devs themselves say to set it down and go do something else while they make content or delay their own game releases to go play other games themselves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

I did know one guy who RMT’d like a couple bucks for 60 mil back when rusty caps were causing extreme inflation, then promptly quit the game before spending any of it. He came back like two years later after most of the excess gil had drained from the economy and was absurdly rich lmao

Jesus, is the RMT market really that cheap?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

There are tons of gear choices. Is this hat cuter than that hat? Should I dye this Lavender Purple or Plum Purple? My hair is clipping - do I adjust my jacket or my haircut?

:same:

I realize even with third-party tools...I feel my mind struggling when I have longer hair since clipping on everything so I have only short hair.

Also, we could use some more purple dyes tbh.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Doomykins posted:

I love that FF14 offers a good experience and even the devs themselves say to set it down and go do something else while they make content or delay their own game releases to go play other games themselves.

Yeah, I seem to a gravitate to 4 months subbed, 2 months not subbed cycle. After about 2 months I start to miss it, there’s probably some new content and I’ve caught up on other games. It’s so nice not getting way behind by taking some time off.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Really hoping they roll all the old seals into Allied or at the very least merge nut sacks and centurios.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Personally I just think of different jobs as different builds. There may only really be one, maybe two "right" ways to play a particular job, but the fact that you can switch over to a completely different class (in the traditional MMO sense of the term) on the fly is effectively the same thing as being locked into a class on a character but then switching to a different "build" with different equipment and hotbars

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I died inside every time I did Delubrum Reginae with half the people taking no essence or defensive essences

But I loved the variety essences & lost actions brought to gameplay and hope they go all-in on them again despite that. I hope they just make them unlockables rather than something you need to farm

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

gay devil posted:

I died inside every time I did Delubrum Reginae with half the people taking no essence or defensive essences

But I loved the variety essences & lost actions brought to gameplay and hope they go all-in on them again despite that. I hope they just make them unlockables rather than something you need to farm

it was so funny drinking a tank drink and getting to play tank rdm that night

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Yoship broke my heart once with island sanctuary, I will never allow myself to hope for better things again

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Firebert posted:

Yoship broke my heart once with island sanctuary, I will never allow myself to hope for better things again

it was cool seeing people say like "it'll be like animal crossing!" "it'll be like stardew!" no bitch it'll be like microsoft excel

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I like my pasture filled with cool creatures and I like to hang out with them, Island Sanctuary's biggest failing was never expanding the pasture's capacity past a certain point so I could collect more animals

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Countblanc posted:

it was cool seeing people say like "it'll be like animal crossing!" "it'll be like stardew!" no bitch it'll be like microsoft excel

why can't I fish? on the motherfucking island??

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I named the animals in my pasture after notorious monsters from FFXI, as I played that game a long time

I do not want any of XI's gear philosophy in XIV, that would be absolutely terrible

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

That's kind of the point of what I said earlier. It absolutely can be a chill hangout place but everyone wanted to optimize it to the point of unfun so it became a spreadsheet simulator to get the Maximum, even though there's literally zero reason to rush.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Being able to help other people with their island would have made it way more communal and would have gone a long way imo

I have been visiting a friends island while they are just starting off their sanctuary and... watch them hit trees? That's it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
More than the fact that it could be optimized, my problem with Island Sanctuary is more that they made the story about the islands being an investment project and yours being proof of concept that it could be financially sustainable with enough modernization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

There was a quest for Island Sanctuary where Cirina and Sadu came to my island with Tataru and we had a girls' hangout where we didn't discuss Magnai or even mention his name. 10/10 content.