Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I think overall there's not fools gold as the Dolphins don't (I imagine) expect to win the super bowl next year, or within the career envelope of Fitzmagic. They may possibly be planning on drafting a high variance QB like Love to follow their current, successful, high variance QB.

We might therefore expect to see lots of Parker/Williams/Gesicki esque receivers who can basically go up and get balls wanged very hard downfield at implausible angles, and less of the Stills/Wilson types who are great at being in exactly the right place at the right time.

Who knows. Tua better loving come out, Jordan Love at 5 is not my idea of fun. Maybe they'll go for Hurts instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

sean10mm posted:

What the heck happened to Stevie Johnson, anyway?

god abandoned him and he was never really the same after that

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

sean10mm posted:

His specialty turned into dropping wide open passes.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If we can’t land Tua I’d be fine with Love at the Texans spot.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

TheBizzness posted:

If we can’t land Tua I’d be fine with Love at the Texans spot.

He'll go top 10. QBs alway ascend the draft board, and the Chargers, Panthers and Jags will all be looking for a QB.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

At what point in the season/offseason did Mitch Trubisky begin his ascent up the draft boards? I sort of remember him inexplicably coming out of nowhere long after the season ended.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Same with Daniel Jones. The one that stuck out for me was Rivers, as that was when I first started caring about the draft. Constantly mocked to around the Dolphins at 20, ended up 4th.

Dollars to donuts Burrow, Herbert, Love and Tua if he declares all go top 10. Maybe one slips to the Bucs/Colts at 13/14 if Tua does come out.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

^ Tall, white prospects that look like a QB in shorts rocket up draft boards, it's wild.

Just catching up and man, the saga of that burner account is wild.

Also yeah, I wouldn't expect any QB prospect worth having will last in this draft. There's so many QB thirsty teams and the Cardinals moving on from Rosen successfully is just going to convince more teams to do that and create even worse churn.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

sean10mm posted:

He got traded to the 49ers the same year the Bills drafted Sammy Watkins(having three good receivers would have been too much, naturally). He then got hurt, a lot. Last place I remember him being was San Diego, but he was probably washed by then.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Stevie Johnson was literately the only WR in the NFL to own Prime Years Revis.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The first QB I remember coming out of nowhere to be a top 10 pick was Cutler.

Never heard of the dude til the senior bowl and suddenly he’s a legit prospect. His career ended up much better than I ever thought it would.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Looks like we’re getting a high 3rd and 4th for Leo. :hfive: JetsBros.

https://twitter.com/PLeonardNYDN/status/1212041606150447107

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Diva Cupcake posted:

Is there some incredible coaches film nobody has seen or is this just an incredible double down by a GM on his own mistake.

We all know the answer, but come on, how do you sell this to your coaches? ... I mean, the news ones, that you get to hire. God damnit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

It's almost hard to believe Gettlemen is real.....

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Diva Cupcake posted:

The Jets ending up on the right side of the dumbest move this year really is the twist ending that 2019 deserves

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

tarbrush posted:

The Jets ending up on the right side of the dumbest move this year really is the twist ending that 2019 deserves

Douglas hasn't done anything really stupid yet.

Nov 6, 2002

He hasn't fired Adam Gase.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

mcmagic posted:

Douglas hasn't done anything really stupid yet.

I guess the Kalil signing was a spectacular disaster. But that had no long-term cost attached to it, just the $8 million for this year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Was Douglas involved in the fake xrays

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

He hasn't fired Adam Gase.

Gase doesn't report to him.

Professor Funk posted:

I guess the Kalil signing was a spectacular disaster. But that had no long-term cost attached to it, just the $8 million for this year.

I mean that was a big nothing but it really cost the Jets nothing going forward.... It was a fine chance to take.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I am mocking the Jets as a whole organisation, not the esteemed Mr Douglas specifically. I'm sure he'll buck the trend, and not be dragged headfirst into the Jets... deal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

tarbrush posted:

I am mocking the Jets as a whole organisation, not the esteemed Mr Douglas specifically. I'm sure he'll buck the trend, and not be dragged headfirst into the Jets... deal.

Yeah but he was on the right side of the dumbest trade of the year.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

guys I've been thinking about it for a few hours now and I think this Chan Gailey hire has the potential to be one of the funniest things the Dolphins have done post-Marino

Nov 6, 2002

Maybe the plan is to take another shot at this whole "tanking" thing.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Ehud posted:

guys I've been thinking about it for a few hours now and I think this Chan Gailey hire has the potential to be one of the funniest things the Dolphins have done post-Marino

Who the gently caress knows. It's definitely one of the weirdest, which is saying something.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Not really sure how you can have an opinion on Joe Douglas one way or the other outside of "thank gently caress Maccagnan is gone."

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

TheBizzness posted:

The first QB I remember coming out of nowhere to be a top 10 pick was Cutler.

Never heard of the dude til the senior bowl and suddenly he’s a legit prospect. His career ended up much better than I ever thought it would.

He was a big name in the SEC

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fsif posted:

Not really sure how you can have an opinion on Joe Douglas one way or the other outside of "thank gently caress Maccagnan is gone."

He's one of the (few) parts of the franchise I'm optimistic about and I'm excited to see what he does this offseason. He hasn't done anything really outstanding yet, but obviously hasn't had much of an opportunity to. I like that he took a swing on Kalil, even if it failed, and I think the 7th rounder for Alex Lewis is/will be well spent even if Lewis ends up as a depth guy. The Williams trade is obviously great. Not too much else to go on personnel wise.

Basically, he came up with two of the smartest franchises in the sport in the Eagles and the Ravens, and seems like he's going to make the offensive line a priority, so I think it's reasonable for Jets fans to be excited about him.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 31, 2019

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fsif posted:

He made 2 trades. He got a league avg G who might start for the Jets next year for a 7th and fleeced the Giants for Williams. So far so good.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

He did trade a 6th for Nate Hairston which I forgot about. That didn't work out.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Flores is killing me. Not sure I love going all in on a coach simply because he coached Brady with you in New England. Philbin coached Rodgers and Gase coached Peyton - those offenses sucked.

O Sheas offense exceeded all expectations

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh and the golden boy gets to pick his mentor and he picks Chan Gailey ugh

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I am so excited to see what other bizarre moves we’re gonna make.

Chan Gailey offense led by first round QB Jalen Hurts lol

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Flores has earned my complete confidence for one season. I'm not a naive idiot, I'm not going to be an apologist if the poo poo goes off the rails, but I am comfortable with the decisions he made this year (even the ones I disagreed with like not playing Rosen more), and I'm fine with pretty much anything to see how it plays out.

Nov 6, 2002

Man, I forgot Josh Rosen even exists. What is that dude's future with the team?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

torgeaux posted:

Flores has earned my complete confidence for one season. I'm not a naive idiot, I'm not going to be an apologist if the poo poo goes off the rails, but I am comfortable with the decisions he made this year (even the ones I disagreed with like not playing Rosen more), and I'm fine with pretty much anything to see how it plays out.

Yeah. He's not been perfect, and the Minkah thing in particular sucked, but he's got so much out of so little he's earned a year of more or less complete trust.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Man, I forgot Josh Rosen even exists. What is that dude's future with the team?

To be the starting QB's friend no matter who he is so he gets backup jobs for the next dozen years and retire on that Matt Moore money.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kalli posted:

To be the starting QB's friend no matter who he is so he gets backup jobs for the next dozen years and retire on that Matt Moore money.

I'm hoping Matt Moore gets a Super Bowl ring this year. He's always pulled his weight, been a good team mate, and generally a good guy.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Amy Pole Her posted:

Flores is killing me. Not sure I love going all in on a coach simply because he coached Brady with you in New England. Philbin coached Rodgers and Gase coached Peyton - those offenses sucked.

O Sheas offense exceeded all expectations

He made some poor decisions and got rid of talent that he may not have needed to.

However:
For a first year coach Flores has been really good. The main change is that the Dolphins played very hard all the way through the season for the first time in a long time.

The team was supposed to be a complete tanking joke but instead they found some decent talent in unexpected places and won some drat impressive games.

Despite their record I think the Dolphins had a better season than the Jets especially when you take into account expectations before the seasons and factor in how much draft capital they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

pasaluki posted:

He made some poor decisions and got rid of talent that he may not have needed to.

However:
For a first year coach Flores has been really good. The main change is that the Dolphins played very hard all the way through the season for the first time in a long time.

The team was supposed to be a complete tanking joke but instead they found some decent talent in unexpected places and won some drat impressive games.

Despite their record I think the Dolphins had a better season than the Jets especially when you take into account expectations before the seasons and factor in how much draft capital they have.

? What talent? If it’s Minkah - putting that on Flores shows a misunderstanding of exactly the position they (his mother and agent) put Miami in

And yes i agree completely with all this, but attributing all that solely to Flores is a slippery slope.

We’ll see how they do without O Shea. Parker exploded this year because he’s running better routes and guess who designed the game plan? O Shea.