Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimeTheCrazy
Feb 21, 2022

I HAVE CHORTLES
Ya know for fighting clowns, this wasn't a very funny fight at all. In fact it's kinda fricking depressing, specially with TQs added dialogue and the cold indifference of the broken fools on Tiphereths team.

Noah and Emma have really grown on me alongside the 8 o clock circus the more ive thought about them, and while they're far from the most tragic figures even at this point in the story, nor the most tragic pair, I do think there's something very melancholic about how they seemed finally poised to find some kind of happiness together only to immediately get thrown into the book fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
A man walks into a library and asks the librarian for help finding a book to aid his depression.

The librarian knew just the right book and told him to look for a work by the great clown Emma. Very funny, would stop depression. The librarian turned back to the book he was reading.

The page read, "The man replied sadly, 'But librarian, I am The Great Clown Emma!'"

Librarian closes book. Rimshot. Good joke.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Showing what happens when you eliminate Noah first would be good.

Also clown music good.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Slaan posted:

Good joke.

:hmmyes: needs to be told by a Huge Librarian tho

oobitydoo
Oct 1, 2021

Theantero posted:

Anyways, I called this reception the worst in the game earlier on, and it's because it has this very irritating BGM that I hate.

*cries in soft, far-away circus music*

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Appendix 25: 8 o'Clock Circus

Emma’s Page posted:

Each Nest has its Singularity. For example: W Corp. has WARP, a fast and reliable means of transportation that’s guaranteed to deliver you to your destination on time; F Corp. has Fairies, which can unlock anything that’s considered ‘locked’, physically or conceptually; G Corp. has spheres that can control gravity, and so on… J Corp’s Singularity is pretty much the opposite of F Corp’s: it’s a technology that can lock and seal something that’s open or exposed on a conceptual level. Of course, the range or size of things that can be locked will depend on how much you pay. Cheap ones are mostly used for locking small boxes and other personal objects, while expensive ones can seal an area of space so nothing can come inside, or even lock a person’s body to prevent it from being dissected. The technology has a pretty wide range of applications. You can lock basically anything that’s open in one sense or another. Could it be that this Singularity was created because our Nest, where J Corp. is located, is a Nest of gambling that holds a smart few secrets that shouldn’t be leaked… Beats me. Not like anything good will come out of knowing the real reason, anyway…

Noah’s Page posted:

Corp. owns the Nest of gambling. Every person here devotes their life to those insane games of chance. Emma and I check the security cameras placed in affiliated facilities and spot anyone who cheats. We get hundreds of calls each day. Please check if the person in a dark red coat at N-9281-R231 used a sleight of hand to switch cards, I think my table was rigged at Q-198-OF1929, I think they’re using marbles that weigh 0.1g more in the roulettes at K-1928-R029, etc… A variety of creative and absurd calls flood the lines all the time.

What’s so difficult about watching the security feed all day, you ask? Sure, you could think that if you’re unfamiliar with how things work here. But imagine having to check the feeds for tens and even hundreds of rooms that have ten cams each. The workload is spread over multiple people, of course, but each of us still has dozens of screens to stare at, it makes my eyes spin like a top. Besides, some people are sneaky enough to pull trickery off camera, and some incidents might occur during maintenance hours. This job is such a busy one, two eyes just aren’t enough. When you’re checking one case, another call comes in, when you’re done checking that, more calls wait for you… The shortage of manpower is driving me crazy, I swear.

Additionally, there's a unique effect for if Noah is defeated and goes back onto Emma's back.

Here it is:

The screen itself gets a dark purple filter around it.

And Emma's sprite changes to reflect his friend's current state. :smith:

MiiNiPaa's Shimmering Corner

As for Emma+Noah, they are not that interesting pattern wise.

Emma uses Circus Knives and a second card (Let the Show Begin, another Circus Knives, Sharp Nails, rotating every round). Add Juggling if Noah is on him.

Emma has 3 Speed die if Noah is on him and 2 otherwise. If Noah died, one speed dic will be broken. If Emma has EL 4, it does not matter, as he will just use EL dice instead of broken one. All resists are set to Fatal if Noah died.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

In other news, we have a winner. It's time for Chesed's floor to strut their stuff in an Abnormality Battle!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
That certainly sounds like one of the Wizard of Oz themed abnormalities, though I can't remember which one it was.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It was Scarecrow Searching For Wisdom.

ShyGuy1231
Jan 7, 2021
Bring on the scarecrow!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
So our two clowns were in charge of locking things... and were seemingly sought out by a red-and-white grinning figure...

TheDoomkitten
Jun 11, 2022

Angela did nothing wrong.
As we're all preparing to go on a wonderful journey, it's time for another card dump! No, not the kind where smart people analyze the utility of combat pages, the kind where I inflict a bunch of poorly designed and worded MtG cards on the thread. (Also by way of apology for fueling the fires of the Angelacourse, I think I might've gotten a little too into things.) Without any further ado, let's jump right in.

You might've noticed last time that I didn't include Bloodbath as a card when I tossed Zaida onto the end of the post. Truth be told, I was having a little trouble figuring out how to represent it mechanically, and when I revisited this project I decided to instead abstract it to the entire event that inspired the Bloodbath anomaly in the first place: Carmen's death, and the effect it had on the company. The wording and effect here is a little clunkier than I'd like, and honestly it's too slow for Limited or even Standard play, but you can bet your rear end that there are a *lot* of Commander decks who want to have this thing around as a ticking time bomb. It's especially threatening in multiplayer games, since it checks at the end of *each* end step. If you're lucky, Downward Spiral could end up with four counters on it, which is already 8 damage. A bit janky, especially in how it's phrased, but solidly powerful.

Now it's time for the real star of the show, Malcute! (I could've used a bunch of other art for this one, but I really adore NullBlack's rendition of her here.) For a long while, the effect on Malkuth was a generic +1/+1 for every untapped attacking or blocking creature you control instead of what it is now, but then I remembered "damage to attacking or blocking creatures" is a White effect and that it's more in-flavor for her floor, so I switched it out. This had the side effect of making her *significantly* more powerful, mind you, but I think she deserves it. If you give a bunch of tokens vigilance somehow, then your entire board is almost uninteractable during combat, and she can even tap down key creatures on your opponent's side to go in for the kill. HOWEVER, Malkuth has one significant weakness: she has no way to protect herself outside of her big 2/4 butt. While she might not get bolted easily, she's still a very high priority target for opponents and will be one of the first things to get removed from the field in most situations. Still, very powerful card.

This is basically Grafted Exoskeleton from the Scars block, except it doesn't have Infect so it's worse. You can hammer it onto something with high mana value but lower stats to make it swing hard and have synergy with Malkuth, or use it as a mildly mana-inefficient sac outlet in limited, which it's actually quite good in—as we'll be getting into, this "set" actually has a pretty okay sacrifice archetype.

Speaking of sacrifice, Fourth Match Flame is kind of a bonkers card and would make red one of the most sought-after colors in draft, if I'm being honest. It's pricey, but you can always cycle it away if you don't have enough mana to pay, and by the time you're bringing it out, chances are it's going to be a one-sided Wrath if you're willing to take the L and feed one of your bigger creatures to it. Since Fourth Match Flame is kind of the poster E.G.O. in a lot of ways, I think it's fitting, but I still might need to tune it better. Maybe bump up its cost to 4RR or something?

I decided to be nice to Bishop for once and give him some solid synergy with Malkuth. Aside from the vigilance, Malkuth can tap and untap him for a bunch of scries if you want. Notably, since tapping him is part of the cost for his draw ability, you get to scry *before* you draw, making Bishop pretty solid if you do swing in with him. For those of you who aren't familiar with MtG but are reading this post anyways, first, thank you for taking the time, second, Bishop's draw ability requiring 2 mana and a tap to activate is actually a reference to the Investigate mechanic, which creates a token you can pay 2 and tap (and sacrifice) to draw a card. I figured it'd be a nice nod. (Also, the other reason why I chose that art for Malkuth was so that she could match with Bishop. Curse you for making me care about these two idiots so much TQ)

Hook Office Thugs is going to be a second-pack first-pick common for a *lot* of sacrifice decks in limited, primarily because it's so annoying. Unless you can Shock it or something similar, you're faced with the difficult choice of either thinning your own board/hand and enabling your opponent's sacrifice bullshit, or... losing one of your creatures to kill it anyways? Hook Office Thugs is kind of a trap option on purpose, in that while its effect seems powerful, it's really *just* "Deathtouch, and you're probably going to block it" since it comes to the same result anyways in most situations. This was very nearly a two-drop, though, in which case it would've been legitimately VERY powerful for being able to put pressure on your opponent in that way from so early in the game.

Yesod continues the theme of the patron librarians established with Malkuth of creatures that shut down your opponent's ability to play part of the game. Fateseal is a decent enough effect on its own, but IMO the most powerful part of it is the demoralization factor. If your opponent bottoms a card, then that's a card that could've threatened them and that feels bad, and if your opponent tops a card, then that's a card that *can't* threaten them and that feels even worse. Yesod's in theory slightly more vulnerable than Malkuth because of his lower toughness being in bolt range, but being able to screw your opponent's draws on purpose makes digging for removal a lot harder unless they're lucky enough to have it on hand. I'd rate him below Malkuth in limited and above her in constructed, overall. (A quick note; I was considering giving Yesod some kind of artifact synergy to fit his role as the Patron Librarian of Technological Sciences, but I haven't figured out where artifacts overall fit in this set so I hedged my bets and had his ability more hearken back to his role as Information Team Sephirah instead.)

Now here's the *actually* really solid sacrifice support at common, Backstreets Butcher. Even with the sorcery-speed activation, the draw+lifegain on sacrifice is incredible value, and the +1/+1 counter on one of your creatures makes this into something that gives you a lot of incremental advantage even though it only comes down as a 4-drop. THIS is the kind of card that makes you agonize over picking between it and some Good Uncommon In Your Color in draft, and you're always going to kind of regret it when you pass on it for some decent removal instead.

As you can probably tell by now, we're building toward a discard theme in UR, and Forsaken Murderer is something that'll make that strategy pop... IF you're careful. The wheel isn't a may trigger, and since he has to swing in every turn, Murderer guarantees that you're redrawing your hand every turn unless you have some way to tap him down. Hits like a drat truck, but the pump is unpredictable at best because of the randomness of what you can and can't discard, and if your opponent can survive a few turns of him ramming in they'll set up something to consistently block him and there's a not-insignificant chance you'll mill yourself out as this dumb rear end in a top hat rams his face into a Wall. The draw is very good as long as you have the resources to immediately use it, so FM isn't awful; you just need to be careful about when you put him down.

The final card from this batch is D.A.D., who is an oddball. I had to word their ability in kind of a weird way so that it'd still vibe with Yesod if you have them both out and opt to fateseal your opponent, and the randomness inherent to it makes it a risky proposition unless you've scried or fatesealed for that turn already... *but* they have the ability to pop off in a BIG way if you can crack in with multiple Illusions that aren't blocked, letting you dig until you find a high mana value you spell, turn a bunch of blocks unideal for your opponent and/or hit for a BUNCH of damage all at once. A weird card, but I like the way that I wrote them out in the end.

And that's all for today! Really, the biggest problem facing this set at the moment is a dearth of green cards. D.A.D. is the only one so far and they're multicolored, and since I've established RB as the sacrifice theme, I couldn't put a splash of green into Backstreets Butcher without messing things up slightly there. With Zwei and Streetlight coming up that *should* change, but whack me with a newspaper if there aren't enough green cards with the next one of these I do. I hope you all enjoyed!

EDIT: Credit to Theantro for catching some typos and errors in these cards, you were a huge help.

TheDoomkitten fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 19, 2022

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

TheDoomkitten posted:

(Also by way of apology for fueling the fires of the Angelacourse, I think I might've gotten a little too into things.)

We do not apologize for Angela Discourse in this thread. Both the Discourse and these cards are excellent. :colbert:

As idle quality assurance, Hook Office Thugs refers to 'Hook Office Slaughterer' in the rules text, presumably from an earlier draft. Also, Yesod's card refers to 'top X cards of an opponents library', but never explains what X is (yes, from context you can tell it means the amount you would Scry for, but MtG cards are known for their exactitude).

TheDoomkitten
Jun 11, 2022

Theantero posted:

We do not apologize for Angela Discourse in this thread. Both the Discourse and these cards are excellent. :colbert:

As idle quality assurance, Hook Office Thugs refers to 'Hook Office Slaughterer' in the rules text, presumably from an earlier draft. Also, Yesod's card refers to 'top X cards of an opponents library', but never explains what X is (yes, from context you can tell it means the amount you would Scry for, but MtG cards are known for their exactitude).

GAH I KNEW I HAD MISSED SEVERAL THINGS thank you for pointing them out getting to fixing now

EDIT: And edited in! Thank you very much. I pounded most of these out over the course of today and barely had time to give them a look over, so I didn't take the time to QA. Silly me!

TheDoomkitten fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 19, 2022

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

TheDoomkitten posted:

Yesod continues the theme of the patron librarians established with Malkuth of creatures that shut down your opponent's ability to play part of the game. Fateseal is a decent enough effect on its own, but IMO the most powerful part of it is the demoralization factor. If your opponent bottoms a card, then that's a card that could've threatened them and that feels bad, and if your opponent tops a card, then that's a card that *can't* threaten them and that feels even worse. Yesod's in theory slightly more vulnerable than Malkuth because of his lower toughness being in bolt range, but being able to screw your opponent's draws on purpose makes digging for removal a lot harder unless they're lucky enough to have it on hand. I'd rate him below Malkuth in limited and above her in constructed, overall. (A quick note; I was considering giving Yesod some kind of artifact synergy to fit his role as the Patron Librarian of Technological Sciences, but I haven't figured out where artifacts overall fit in this set so I hedged my bets and had his ability more hearken back to his role as Information Team Sephirah instead.)

This image appears to be broken? Apologies if it's not.

TheDoomkitten
Jun 11, 2022

Materant posted:

This image appears to be broken? Apologies if it's not.

I recently replaced the image because Theantro noticed a typo, try giving it a reload!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

TheDoomkitten posted:

I recently replaced the image because Theantro noticed a typo, try giving it a reload!

And now Yesod is there twice, instead of Backstreets Butcher.

These are neat ftr.

TheDoomkitten
Jun 11, 2022

see this is why you don't post things when you're sleepy

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Social Sciences—721.87—Scarecrow Searching for Wisdom

Music: Lobby

Chesed's sporting an early version of an interesting idea I had: we use 0-cost pages with single Slash dice to work as both a Light and (more importantly) Draw engine, and pump them through the roof with Single Strike. This lets us feed into drawing and playing Overthrow as frequently as possible, to power them up further. Moulinet is there as the early build lacks any real kill power, it's just doing really good single hits over and over and over. He's using Bzzz Bzzz for the first turn advantage, and Lion's Fist because I assigned the wrong passive when I meant to put on High-level Acrobatics I am actually a genius and this move is inspired.

This should do. Are you two all suited up?

Of course! I went with something that'd make me functionally invincible.

Twee is playing a variation on the bog-standard Blunt deck for this point in the game—instead of using Will of the Prescript to serve as drawtech, she's instead using Forceful Gesture and Repressed Flesh as her drawtech. This should keep her hand full while letting her crush anything that gets in her way with her massive Blunt dice. Puppet Skeleton + the Haulers is the standard passive equipment for this chassis, and it lets Twee heal off what few attacks actually get through her massive dice.

What a coincidence. So did I.

We've seen a build like this on Yujin before, I believe—Your Shield and Liquified Flesh make defense dice very chunky when added to Eye of Death/Enervation's global +1. The main change here is mixing in Automated Movement for the Counter dice to block incoming attacks, and since we're getting free Haste every time we play it I decide to throw in a Flashing Strike.

We're all set to go.

Though if we're going, why don't we make it a little more interesting? Settle things once and for all?

Until the next contest, anyways. What's your idea?

Whoever's in the best condition after the next fight is the new captain.

Sounds good. Chesed?

Oh my, I'm being included too?

Why not? Seems like a good time.

I'll have to try my best to keep up with you two, then~

…Whatever motivates you all, I suppose.

SNAP

Music: AbnormalityBattle01

Seems like the scarecrow's become scarecrows.

So it's a 3-on-3 fight. Balanced enough that it's all down to skills.

In that case, we can't lose.

Scarecrow Searching for Wisdom posted:

Wisdom… Give me the wisdom I lack…

I’m fine with detaching the head if it can get better once it comes back together…

My head is all empty… I’m just a dowdy pile of hay…

People often talk without thinking… I could make better use of those brains…

I wonder how it feels to be wise… To know everything…

All three of the Scarecrows Searching for Wisdom have identical stats and tactics, so let's take a peek.

Looking at their passives, we can see the basic structure of the fight. Each Scarecrow has a different timer for Gleaning, so at any given time one of the three will have two speed dice and use Harvest Wisdom with both of them. Using Harvest Wisdom, they attempt to steal pages from our Librarians, and if they do they gain +1 Power to all dice on their next turn for each page they steal. Lastly, if our Librarians have no pages in hand they're instantly Staggered.

Seems something's been granted to us. Wisdom..? It's probably key to this; I'll use it.

Harvest Wisdom itself is a 4-attack page that gets +4 power if it's not clashing against Wisdom. On hit, each die will steal one page in our hand (prioritizing any copies of Wisdom the librarian may have) as well as healing the Scarecrow for 5-10 HP. Whenever a Scarecrow is using Harvest Wisdom, we get special dialogue.

Give your wisdom to me…

I want to be smart like the others…

The wisdom to move forward! Give it to me!

That's a given—these Abnormalities are like a puzzle, so anything we're handed is key to the task at hand.

All three of our Librarians are given one copy of Wisdom to start with each. It's a 1-cost page that has four 1-1 Blunt dice that perfectly negate Harvest Wisdom's attacks. Each Wisdom can only be used once, however, so it's important to get more. How do we do that?

That's where the other two Scarecrows come in. Struggle for Wisdom is a basic offensive page with a decent evade die followed by two smaller offensive dice. The offensive dice have a unique ability: When Blocked or Evaded, they grant the person who defeated them one copy of Wisdom. This does not happen if we stop them with offensive dice. Because of this, pages with defensive dice in slots 2 and 3 are really useful. We have no pages that meet this criteria.

Make sure to check your noggins, you two. It wouldn't do to have all our smarts sucked out by those things.

No worries. I've fought mind flayers hundreds of times… these are the same thing, but they don't even have face tentacles to hold your head down.

You've fought what, now? When?

In uh… tactical simulations that I held with my teammates.

I remember those. You and the others having a lot of fun with that map and dice set.

So it was just a game, eh?

More like THE game! You can do anything you can think of. Period!

Twee's +2 to all Blunt dice turns Wisdom from a series of tied clashes into a free 12 Damage and Stagger Damage to the Scarecrow. When we include the 20 Stagger Damage from clashing Harvest Wisdom with Wisdom, this attack alone rips off just over half of the Scarecrow's SR.

Sounds liberating… But you've gotta' train your body too, or it won't be able to keep up with what you envision.

The +1 Power to all dice that Sweet Pea gets makes her Wisdom deal a total of 28 Stagger Damage as well, for a perfect Stagger on the Scarecrow from their combination attack.

These aren't our bodies. We just need to pick one that matches our imagination.

Hah… true, true. So once we beat these things, think we'll be able to steal our enemy's minds, too?

When you get down to it that's just our combat pages, no?

Oh yeah. Good point.

Because the Scarecrow failed to get any of our pages, there's more unique lines.

You liar… You promised to make me wiser!!!

You… don’t look like you need your wisdom… Just give it to me…!

Why aren’t you… giving me any of that wisdom…

Chesed uses his wisdom to stop this copy of Harvest Wisdom, and his Lion's Fist passive will give all of its dice a +1 to force damage through as well—even when I mess up and select the wrong thing, it somehow winds up working in our favor. :shrug:

This does lead us to the crux of this fight: We're now completely out of Wisdom, and there's one more attack coming our way. How do we deal with it?

Counter dice! Sweet Pea's +3 to defensive dice will make her counter-evade into a guaranteed 6+, ensuring the enemy can't actually touch her.

Meanwhile, the last Scarecrow is using Rake Seeking Wisdom. The first die gives a copy of Wisdom if blocked/evaded, while the second applies Disarm and Bind on hit, and the third die is an Evade die. Because of this, Forceful Gesture is ideal to handle this page—if things go well, Twee will get another copy of Wisdom to help us out next turn.

Hey, Sweet Pea? You've got one coming at you.

Don't worry about me, Tweeds. I've got a plan.

A plan?

Well, I couldn't stop it—let's hope it's a good one.

Oh, it's a great plan.

When it attacks…

I need to bash its face in!

Huh. Didn't see that coming.

Yujin's block die that I completely forgot existed winds up Staggering the Scarecrow, rendering my preparation completely pointless. :lobcorp:

Guess that means it's getting the beatdown next, right?

That seems to be the best plan.

Right. If we keep up the rotation, they won't be able to lay a hand on us. And that means, we win.

Hey… isn't that usually my plan?

Isn't blocking them head-on with an invincible shield mine?

I'm glad my successor turned out to be someone tough. Chesed's a bit of a hands-off boss, so the team needs someone who can get things done.

Of course I was hands-off. You were all going to die soon enough anyways, so why bother making your lives any harder~?

Does that mean you're going to be trying harder now that we're here together?

Of course. Not that you two need much help~

Should the Scarecrow ever successfully steal one of our pages, then we get unique dialogue about that as well!

I feel much smarter… I can know anything now…

Good… Very good… I’ll be smarter the more I eat, right…?

Have I become wiser…? Maybe I’ll be more than a stack of hay…

The plan here is more of the same—Sweet Pea will use Flashing Strike to stuff the first Harvest Wisdom. Twee will bonk the remaining Scarecrow with a weak attack to keep it off of the others, before recovering by using Wisdom on the Scarecrow to Hauler back her lost health.

Meanwhile, we pour damage onto the Staggered Scarecrow.

Sorry, Mr. Scarecrow. You're not nearly fast enough to keep up with me.

Be careful not to run out of options and get tagged!

Don't have to worry about me, Tweeds! I'm two steps ahead of these guys.

Ghh! Ran out myself.

Too bad. Looks like I'm winning.

Don't bet on it!

I can regenerate faster than these guys can hit me!

Aww, c'mon! That doesn't count!

Don't see why not. You're both still squeaky clean and ready to go.

Fine then. I'll just keep dodging them, and we'll see who wins in the end.

Wouldn't have it any other way!

I'll clean up after you guys, so enjoy yourselves.

With no more Wisdoms in hand, it falls to Sweet Pea to handle the entire Harvest Wisdom Scarecrow herself. This will put her Light down to 1, but Twee is going to Forceful Gesture another Rake Seeking Wisdom to set us up for the next turn, when we should be able to use Faint Memories alongside it to handle the next set. In this fight, managing the Harvest Wisdom Scarecrow is the most difficult part. If we can do that then they can't set up any truly scary turns—their own pages are somewhat lackluster.

This isn't really 'enjoying' myself. I always prefer fighting monsters being more… mystical.

But you're pretty good at it! Isn't that just a waste of talent?

Talent is nice and all, but it's most important to do something you're passionate about.

Exactly, exactly! And for me, that's magic.

Magic? That stuff that doesn't exist?

It might not have been accessible, but it definitely is now. Look around. We're wearing other people's bodies because our forms are technically nonhuman, throwing out attacks we don't know and dodging things we couldn't.

I totally could've dodged this.

But now you need another power to do it. Magic!

We're in mopup mode now, but our strategy hasn't really changed at all. We're starting to feel a bit of a Light crunch, but the three Scarecrows are all on their last legs so things should be done in a turn or two.

Magic… Still not sure this isn't just some Singularity.

You know, there's an ancient law that says there's no difference between the two.

Eh?

How's that work? A Singularity's a Singularity, and Magic's not real.

As our understanding grew, we found things that used to be seen as magic to be something else. Sufficiently advanced technology that could do things we couldn't even fathom. That's how the Wings were created, after all.

Okay… but what's that got to do with this?

The difference between magic and a Singularity is just understanding. So long as someone, somewhere, knows how or why all of this works, it's not really magic anymore. So, Twee, you want to study magic, right?

Obviously!

Then if you ever got to the root of its source… it'd cease to be magic.

…wait… huh?

Tweeds! Scarecrow!

GAH! Boss, you distracted me!

Ahh, my bad, my bad~ I'll get straight to the point, then.

Who's to say that the magic here that Twee wishes so dearly to research isn't just something beyond our current comprehension? We can all see its results now, after all.

Seriously? I guess I can't say it isn't… but what's even the point of worrying about it in the first place?

I think the point is to keep bettering yourself, so you don't wind up like those strawmen over there. Starving for wisdom, they take half-formed thoughts from others to shout out as loudly as they're able.

Which is why they can't ever beat us, right?

Precisely.

So in the end, it's all about trying to gain more situational awareness, eh? Well, that I can get.

I'd thought so. Shall we finish these two off?

Yeah!

The drive to seek wisdom, and the experience to act on instinct. I'm very glad to have both of these elements on our team.

Yeah, well, experience won out this time for sure! Right, Tweeds?

Oh, I wouldn't say that.

Huh?! When did you…

I used the wisdom I managed to seek out earlier. Four hits was more than enough to take care of that scratch.

Then that means… man, another draw?!

It seems so. We're all standing here looking exactly as healthy as we entered~

Another draw… Does that mean we're all the captain, then?

Yes, I suppose it does. I'll leave the sorting to you today, my new co-captains~

Fine, but you'd better make us some coffee afterwards, okay?

Scarecrow Searching for Wisdom is a test of how well we manage the Harvest Wisdom spam, either through using Block/Evade dice to get more copies of Wisdom or through using Evade dice to simply dodge the attack altogether. It's fine to let a couple get through, though, so even blocking it with 3-dice pages is fine as long as they can consistently win clashes.

There was also one last page that didn't show up in this fight, it's their 0-cost option for if they run out of Light entirely.

Till the Soil does not give us Wisdom. We never want to see this page, and I am very happy we didn't.

VIDEO
Music: ChesedStory

Welcome~ Here, lemme help ya.

Whew, can’t believe I actually carried this many books all the way here… Guess I’ve got this servant business down to a science.

You naturally get used to anything in time, after all~ The same goes for drinking coffee.

Mmh… Coffee, huh…

This one should fit your taste better than the last one, I think?

Hmm… Alright, I’ll trust you with this!

Oh~ This one’s sweet, and like, really tasty overall! How should I put it… Yeah, I’ve never had such a classy and dainty coffee before!

Isn’t it~? Gebura also started out with this macchiato, you see.

So this is what a delicious coffee tastes like. I’m over thirty years old, and I’m still learning new things…

I heard they mostly serve coffee with a strong taste of sweetness in the Backstreets to cover up the low quality ingredients.

And some are just plain bitter. I used to drink it when I needed to stay awake or simply kill some time.

I did too~

A warm cup was the only thing that could heat up my lethargic body, listless as lukewarm coffee. I kept forcing myself to work, holding zero expectations.

Must’ve been pretty tiring.

It sure was~ Employees were slaughtered by Abnormalities all the time, and my plans to keep them alive never came to fruition. The coffee slowly cooled down along with my passion.

How about now, did it warm over?

I guess you can say that. This time, it’s steaming hot again like you said, Roland~ I can try a lot of things with everything that’s been given to me. Most of all, I can drink various blends of coffee now.

Though, you still have to follow someone else’s orders?

I made the decision to follow her this time around. And I can actually minimize the damage my fellow librarians have to suffer if I work hard at it. So all in all, I’m feeling motivated, you see?

You’ve got quite the flexible mindset, huh.

Everything’s better than before.

From who? Our Miss Library Director?

It’s hard for me to believe, of course, but I sometimes think she might have done this for us.

Eh, I’m not so sure. Angela’s goals and where her anger comes from seem pretty clear to me at this point. I don’t think there’s any mercy in the path she’s trying to take.

Mmh, this macchiato sure is tasty. It’s almost addicting.

I’ll introduce you to other types of coffee from time to time~ Let’s get to know each other little by little.

Fine by me. I’ll look forward to it.

Music: Lobby

Like with Gebura and Tiphereth, no new Librarians just yet. All we get is the Abnormality Pages.

Torn-Off Wisdom is a buff to discard decks, but they've fallen off the radar at this point so for now it's just a good way to wind up without a hand. Theoretically we might be able to do something if we make an entire deck of drawtech and rely on this for Light regen, but… that's a bit nuts.

Gleaning is a straight buff to Stagger damage should the enemy have higher SR than the holder. It's good, because Staggering means victory.

Lastly, there's Rake. Rake lets us play our opponent's pages, but it doesn't work on Shimmering foes and requires us to Stagger the enemy, making it basically a less-good Learn. None of these are particularly bad, but they're not great either.

All done with cleanup, Chesed.

What now? Back to standby?

I'm afraid not. We're on call; your magnificent job just now means we might be going again.

The workday never ends. Alright, I'll get in a good stretch to warm up. You coming, Tweeds?

Yeah, why not?

Next time, on Library of Ruina

"This is a forest full of hearts. No matter how many he cuts down, the forest still remains dense."

Honestly, I didn't expect this one to be here now. (Phillip and Oswald)

Well, whatever you pick this time it's fine. These options won't alter our path at all. (Smiling Faces)

Videos

Chesed 2

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 20, 2022

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yes Chesed, spread the sweet corruption that is espresso drinks! :sickos:

lyoid10
Jul 19, 2022
Hey how do i enter the polls

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

lyoid10 posted:

Hey how do i enter the polls

You click on the graphic, then select the option, then say submit.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Torn-Off Wisdom We do not have pages to meaningfully make use of this. In theory, discard passives and cards with on discard effect will work well with it. Requires strong drawtech to work with.

Gleaning A card to keep some character less likely to be staggered. Works well against enemies with high Stagger Resist. Kinda awkward and situational.

Rake add 2 cards from enemy deck and makes them cheaper. Its random nature and activation requrement makes it hard to use, and cards you can steal are usually not much stronger and rarely fit your current build. Also contrary to the description it works on enemies with Shimmering. They usually simply do not have any cards to copy. But some of them might, if PM forgets to exhaust deck or set some card as temporary. Only real use I see — humilating next Abnormalities by killing them with their, since a lot of Abnormalities (but not all of them) utilize normal draw rules.

Leoshiki
Jul 19, 2022
When you think about it Chesed is the chill dad in his group(allowing his team to let loose but of course keeping them in line in a more calm way) while Gebura is the strict mom of hers( A balance of tough love, and also wanting her team to not make the same mistake she did in her life).

While Tiphereth is the sane women slowly becoming just as mad as her team. In my mad mind, when Tiphereth gets all 5 team members they all do a super sentai/power rangers pose after the their realization floor with Angela, and they each have different color theme outfits to boot.

Leoshiki fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 19, 2022

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Torn-Off wisdom is a glorious, glorious thing to see in action... When it's at it's full power.
Should have enough cards to get a feel for it right now, but it needs something else to make it shine. :kheldragar:

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!

Leoshiki posted:

While Tiphereth is the sane women slowly becoming just as mad as her team. In my mad mind, when Tiphereth gets all 5 team members they all do a super sentai/power rangers pose after the their realization floor with Angela, and they each have different color theme outfits to boot.

As long as Tylana stays sane I doubt Tiph'll go off the deep end any time soon. The Anime Distortion has been well-contained. :cheeky:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

:sickos:

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
I have a lot of trouble with that fight, which leads me wasting 30+ minutes to them. And here's TQ just casually demolished them.

Anyway, another Abnormality time. Let's go!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Your Everyday NEET posted:

I have a lot of trouble with that fight, which leads me wasting 30+ minutes to them. And here's TQ just casually demolished them.

Anyway, another Abnormality time. Let's go!

Someday, something in this game will punish me for my mistakes, sloppy play, and shitposting in the form of meme deckbuilds.

But really, I don’t know what. The more stupid my plans are the better they seem to work. Never punished. :psyduck:

Ashardalon125
Apr 14, 2021
I've gone through the Scarecrow fight a few times now, and every time, I feel like I forget to bring something to manage it. Fortunately, I usually have something that carries me through.

lyoid10
Jul 19, 2022
I wanted to say this but i read the wizard of oz book, and there is moment i remember fondly is the moment where the scarecrow killed around 40 something crows by snapping there neck and i cannot help but imagining the scarecrow looking for wisdom just flailing his arms around and killing shitton of crows cuz he dont have hands just a rake and shovel

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

TeeQueue posted:

But really, I don’t know what. The more stupid my plans are the better they seem to work. Never punished. :psyduck:

Obviously being a moron would counter an enemy that feeds on wisdom :v:

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I never thought to deal with harvest wisdom with the approach of Just Evade Real Good, I specifically included cards with a variety of defensive dice so I could get two copies of Wisdom a turn (occasionally just one when one was enough to stagger) after losing once or twice to the abnormality.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 19, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
...okay I know I said Chesed was probably the most interesting Floor from a Abnormality Page perspective but Scarecrow doesn't really show it. Torn-Off Wisdom needs some extra Discard support to really shine, Gleaming is just a conditional Mind Hauler that also boosts your outgoing Stagger damage and Rake is, as said, Learn but weaker. But don't worry, Warm-Hearted Woodsman has more to show us!

Oh, and also: Dimi and Gaia are on other floors so I'd like to bet that Chesed's next employee is Evil Kit.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Junpei posted:

Oh, and also: Dimi and Gaia are on other floors so I'd like to bet that Chesed's next employee is Evil Kit.

On the one hand, Evil Kit is one of the two remaining Agents who were on Chesed's team at the end of LobCorp.
On the other hand, losing bets and being kept waiting would be inconvenient.

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

I still have no idea what the heck is supposed to be going on with the Scarecrow's head. Is it a hat? Is his head folded up? Why does it disappear whenever he gets hit or attacks?

lyoid10
Jul 19, 2022
I personally belives that it is a staw hat he just removes it when he is just sucking out brains

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

NullBlack posted:

On the one hand, Evil Kit is one of the two remaining Agents who were on Chesed's team at the end of LobCorp.
On the other hand, losing bets and being kept waiting would be inconvenient.

well yes there's that but there's also the fact that Evil Kit was created to deal with Warm Hearted Woodsman's stat cap

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Arkanian posted:

I still have no idea what the heck is supposed to be going on with the Scarecrow's head. Is it a hat? Is his head folded up? Why does it disappear whenever he gets hit or attacks?

I think it's supposed to be a sack cloth with eye holes cut out that's sort of folded up into a pyramid shape. His lines during the fight indicate his head is literally empty and might be removable (though the latter might be about his victims instead?) so it pops off when he gets hit, and a straw extends out of his throat to try and eat his target's brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Chesed seems to have an almost positive impression of Angela, now.