Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Houston Euler
Nov 5, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Red: google searches for 80s sitcom "Charles in Charge"
Blue: google searches for "Hitler gun control"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 18, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

SombreroAgnew posted:

This reminds me of these macros, which I've been seeing online in various forms since the early Bush II days.

Charming.

Women who champion conforming to what society says women should look like are more likely to look like what society says they should look like? The Devil you say!

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

az jan jananam posted:

That kind of depends what we're talking about. There are some major shifts that occurred in Islam during the transition to modernism but the orthodox theological proscription on the depiction of Mohammed has been fairly consistent. But in practice, these drawings for example are from private manuscripts and the like that were commissioned and held by the nobility and literary class who were known for challenging various orthodox positions like the proscription against figurative art; the educated Arab/Persian class was full of winedrinkers and homosexuals for example (according to al-Tifashi, most of them). The major exception are some public Shi'a curiosities.

I think there are much more challenging Muslim paintings that are somewhat obscure. Like this one, Zeynep by late 19th century Turkish painter Osman Hamdi Bey, a secular challenge to the Caliphate. I can't find a hi-res version so I have to kind of explain it: a provocatively dressed and unveiled woman is seated on a Quran, with Qurans scattered under her feet. Behind her is the mihrab, the marking towards Mecca, placing a woman between the "praying" male and Mecca (forbidden in orthodox Islam).

This is a bit late, and I don't think you get PMs, but I am curious to know more about Arabic artwork, esp. this kind of stuff. Would you have any book recommendations so that I can peruse at leisure? If possible, collections of artwork be amazing. Thanks.

In return, I offer an awesome photo of an awesome rear end animal.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum
This charming fellow just got his concealed handgun license pulled for some weird reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_C9QJ41Jx0

Apparently there was a longer version, but he edited out some things when it started getting around.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BoBtheImpaler posted:

Apparently there was a longer version, but he edited out some things when it started getting around.

The part he edited out was where he said, "I am not letting my country be ruled by a dictator. I'm not letting anybody take my guns. If it goes one inch further, I'm gonna start killing people."

From Pam Gellar's instagram. "Good times! Geller, Gohmert, Gingrich"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Remember when Obama was gonna take away their guns four years ago. He was waiting for the second term though, because reasons. Also dictators need to worry about votes.

Just saw this on my FB. Thanks Billy.

Gun owners, please keep promoting your wholesome American values that are definitely not racist. And leave them at home when you're going to the theater.

Greenhouse Gaseous
Feb 25, 2012

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

BoBtheImpaler posted:

This charming fellow just got his concealed handgun license pulled for some weird reason.

Who would have thought that publicly threatening to murder people would earn you a visit from the authorities?

Chill your hot heart with a cool island gun, man :cool:

Scope posted:

(crosspost from TFR)

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

Wax Dynasty posted:

Look at that cutout of Africa, just look at it. Then look at what it should be. You'd think the wanna-be leader of the United States of Africa could get it right.

that is the correct non-imperialist map projection of africa :smugissar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8zBC2dvERM

Trench_Rat fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 12, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyDSsVju8f0

I absolutely burst out laughing at this:

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 12, 2013

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

BoBtheImpaler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2kkax7WOKI

His retraction is even better. He states that he doesn't advocate murder at the current time, but that it could become "necessary" to murder in the future.

e: He also states that he has "assembled a formidable army" and won't be pushed "one more inch" by Obummer.

NewtGoongrich fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 12, 2013

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Socal Sapper posted:

Because I hate posers:

Taken from This Aint Hell, this guy claims to be a Army AND Air Force Special Forces vet from Vietnam even though he is too young and obviously a loving scum bag.

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=33588

I know this was a while back, but if at all possible I think you should just post the pictures and not link to that site; that guy is an incredibly homophobic rear end in a top hat who doesn't deserve any more ad money.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Someone let me know where I can get those aviators.

Here's a popular Soviet WWII song - "Two Maxims" about a soldier named Maxim and his Maxim machine gun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a35NCZhS8Cc

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Awesome song for doing speed and shooting Nazis.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

McDowell posted:

Awesome song for doing speed and shooting Nazis.

There's some great wordplay in that song with "Tak" (yes)

"Tak! Tak! Tak! Says the machinegunner
Tak-a-Tak-a-Tak! Says the machinegun"

I tried to find the rest of the English lyrics again but couldn't.

"The Road to the stars is open"

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
It's political because Desmond Tutu. And a Rolls Royce. And Big Bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7qTHbOEiDY

Tornado92.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Reminds me of Godard's La Chinoise:

"The revolution is an uprising an act of violence whereby one class overthrows another. As for me, I'm in philosophy class."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

The part he edited out was where he said, "I am not letting my country be ruled by a dictator. I'm not letting anybody take my guns. If it goes one inch further, I'm gonna start killing people."

From Pam Gellar's instagram. "Good times! Geller, Gohmert, Gingrich"

"...were all killed today in what authorities are calling a 'freak Botox accident'."

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

SombreroAgnew posted:

This reminds me of these macros, which I've been seeing online in various forms since the early Bush II days.

Charming.

Harmon is an actress isn't she? It's probably not a good idea to make Hollywood fair game.

quote:

Afghan girl washing the dishes // Photo by Danish Refugee Council

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fried Chicken posted:

Women who champion conforming to what society says women should look like are more likely to look like what society says they should look like? The Devil you say!

What I'm wondering ... is why we're not having this conversation about liberal and conservative men.

:swoon:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

This one made me kind of :smith: because these look like they might have been ok if you took out the silly right-wing bullshit and replaced it with zombies/aliens.

Or maybe I just really like the cover art. :allears:

:3:

quote:

~image macro claiming Chelsea Clinton isn't gorgeous~

Man, gently caress that noise.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

What I'm wondering ... is why we're not having this conversation about liberal and conservative men.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who finds Huntsman strangely attractive.

A sampling of my cousin's recent Facebook activity:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Thankfully he'll still have drones

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Revolution, 1812, Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Panama(??), Desert Storm, Afghanistan/Iraq? I just plucked this off imgur and I'm not much of a military history buff so I might have those wrong. What uniforms did American soldiers wear in the Philippines?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Yes. Tell me more about how surrounding someone with guns prevents gun violence.

JerkyBunion fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 12, 2013

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Fandyien posted:

Revolution, 1812, Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Panama(??), Desert Storm, Afghanistan/Iraq? I just plucked this off imgur and I'm not much of a military history buff so I might have those wrong. What uniforms did American soldiers wear in the Philippines?

quote:

The United States entered the Spanish-American War still provincial in thought and policies; it emerged a world power with overseas possessions in the Caribbean and Pacific Ocean areas.

Representative of the reforms in dress since 1898 are these infantrymen in the Philippine Islands in 1903. Their uniform is the khaki tropical service dress with bronze buttons first adopted in 1898. Utility and suitability for field service were the keynote for this dress, simple in cut and with a minimum of ornamentation. The Grab campaign hat, distinctively American, became the official head covering and was the most liked by the soldier.

In the left foreground is a first lieutenant with the gold hat cord and bronze coat of arms of the United States on his standing collar, both worn by all officers of the Army. On his coat he wears the silver shoulder bar of his rank and on his collar bronze crossed rifles indicate his arm, the infantry. The lieutenant's breeches are laced from the calf nearly to the knee and are close fitting to go under his russet leather leggings. His waistbelt, of the same color of leather, supports his .38-caliber holstered service revolver and his sabre.

The sergeant in the right foreground is in the same uniform as the lieutenant. He has an infantry blue cord on his hat and infantry blue chevrons on the sleeves of his coat despite the adoption of white as the infantry color in late 1902. Troops in or returning from the Philippines were permitted to continue using items in the old infantry blue until they were worn out and stocks were exhausted. On the sergeant's hat can be seen the numeral and letter identifying his unit and on his collar the crossed rifles and the block letters U.S., all in bronze. In the place of the lieutenant's leather leggings he wears khaki, canvas ones, and his belt is the blue-grey looped cartridge belt used with the .30-caliber Krag rifle.

The privates in the background are wearing the most frequently seen version of the khaki uniform without the coat-dark navy blue wool shirt, which was a holdover from pretropical service days. The soldier on the left is ready for field service with his blanket roll, covered by the khaki shelter half, slung over his shoulder. The soldier on the right, a sentry, carries only his rifle and wears the cartridge belt.

It's fun forgetting about all our other wars because retrospectively they make us look bad!

And let's not forget our brave boys putting down those incorrigible Chinaman!

quote:

The proposed partition of China in the late 1890s by Germany, France, Russia, Japan, Austria, and Italy was viewed by the Chinese as a threat to the integrity of their country. This partition of China into foreign spheres of influence for trade purposes was so strongly opposed by Britain and the United States that the other powers finally agreed to an Open Door Policy. However, the younger Chinese strongly resented western exploitation of their country. They formed a secret society known as the Boxers which was sworn to annihilate foreign influence. By early 1900, Boxers in the northern provinces had killed hundreds of foreigners and Chinese Christians. They then besieged the foreign legations in Peking, guarded by a military and civilian force. In June 1900, a large international relief force of about nineteen thousand troops was formed from contingents provided by Germany, France, Britain, Austria, Russia, Italy, Japan, and the United States to free the legations. The American force under Maj. Gen. Adna R. Chaffee, called the China Relief Expedition, had a strength of about twenty-five hundred men. The relief expedition, including troops from the Philippines as well as the 1st and 3d Squadrons, 6th U. S. Cavalry (shipped directly from the United States), participated in the seizure of Tientsin on 13 July 1900.

By early August most of the allied relief force was committed from Tientsin to relieve the Peking legations, leaving behind, among others, the 6th Cavalry and also some men of the British 1st Bengal Lancers. The troops remaining in Tientsin were to secure the lines of communication and obtain information on Boxer or Chinese Imperial troops in the vicinity. Troop A, 6th Cavalry, under 1st Lt. E. R. Heiberg, "armed with carbines and pistols" was ordered to join a detachment of the 1st Bengal Lancers under Lt. J. R. Gaussen on 15 August for a reconnaissance. The allies were to locate, but not engage, a force of Chinese Imperial troops reported west of Tientsin.

The next morning the combined group left early and, after an uneventful ride of about eight miles, seeing nothing but "undestroyed villages, cornfields, and plowed fields," they came across a village flying red flags, usually a sign of enemy troops. Led by Heiberg and Gaussen, the group moved at a trot in a line of skirmishers with a reserve towards the village. Heiberg then saw what seemed to be two rows of trenches, dismounted carefully to scan them, but again nothing unusual could be seen. The force then advanced to within two hundred yards of the trenches when it came under fire from the front and the right and left flanks. In the confusion the skirmishers retired on the reserve and one of them, Cpl. Rasmus Rasmussen, was thrown from his horse at the point of farthest advance. Heiberg and Gaussen saw Rasmussen lying on the ground near the Chinese trenches. Heiberg's horse became unmanageable, so Gaussen rode on. The Chinese, who had also seen Rasmussen, emerged from their trenches to take him prisoner. The race was on. Lieutenant Gaussen reached Rasmussen first. In Heiberg's words, "Lieutenant Gaussen succeeded in mounting Corporal Rasmussen behind him and rode to the rear. But for the gallant lieutenant, I am quite sure that Rasmussen would have been captured, as he was perhaps less than 250 yards from the trenches, and the enemy had left their trenches after him."

The allied contingent fired dismounted for a short time and then withdrew. They returned home at about 1:00 p.m. "without the loss of a single man or horse." For his bravery during the operations in China, Lieutenant, later Brigadier General, J. R. Gaussen was awarded the China medal with clasp and named Companion of the distinguished Service Order.

The painting shows the moment of Corporal Rasmussen's rescue by Lieutenant Gaussen. Both men are in the khaki uniforms preferred for the relief expedition.

Oh, yeah, nobody in the US remembers that.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 12, 2013

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

JerkyBunion posted:

Yes. Tell me more about how surrounding someone with guns prevents gun violence.

Not that any of their stupid "arguments" make a shred of sense whatsoever anyway, but I'd be reasonably sure that the WH is a "gun free zone", being as it would be entirely irresponsible to allow gun-wielding civilians around the PotUS. You know, at this point I just want strict gun controls passed so these wingnut dipshits go even more full on apoplectic than they already are, just because they're such complete loving assholes.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Crasscrab posted:

It's fun forgetting about all our other wars because retrospectively they make us look bad!

Reminds me of Sinead O'Connor singing this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDx8U9Qhku0

Which reminds me of Billy Connolly singing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgYPEbT3hV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTjxqZWWmgc

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 12, 2013

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Crasscrab posted:

I remember it well enough to know that it's a bit disingenuous place blame for the events of 1900 squarely on the US. They were a pretty minor part of the whole affair.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah it was basically just a Japanese and Russian invasion of China with a few other guys from other countries hanging around the sidelines.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Lord Lambeth posted:

say hello to the state gun of wyoming

It won't be for long if Obummer gets his way. :argh:

Oh, wait: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/10/wyoming-gun-control_n_2451438.html

quote:

State Rep. Kendell Kroeker (R-Evansville) has put forward a bill making it a felony to enforce in Wyoming any federal ban on assault weapons or high-capacity gun magazines, two proposals that Biden's gun control task force is likely to present to President Barack Obama on Tuesday.
:911:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Things are heating up in Mali.

Mr. Stingly posted:

"These people" actually comprises all Americans, and we've behaved that way since the very beginning. There's an idea that we have only been insufferably smug and proud since the end of the 2nd World War. I would have though the same thing if not for Alexis de Tocqueville's Democracy in America. There are a couple hilarious passages where he relates his irritation at being constantly harrassed by Americans; to confirm for them that America is the greatest country in the world. If he said some other place was nice, they'd bug him to say but surely, America's things are better. All that in 1830.

It's the insecurity of the youngest child. We're not quite sure we belong here. We have to talk ourselves into existing, perhaps into being worthy of being here on this continent. We can't point to ancient potsherds and sword handles and say Americans lived here 900 years ago, and feel some kind of special shared identity with five hundred generations like perhaps a Norwegian or a British citizen standing among the tumbled ruins of a medieval castle.

We have hamburgers, football stadiums, and Abraham Lincoln's log cabin. Oh, and this huge, gigantic landmass that made us a fantastically wealthy nation overnight. If we sound like arrogant, smug, annoying nouveau riche douchebags, it's because that's exactly what we are. Give us an eon or so to settle into existence and we'll be way more chill.

Well it's always good to hear that things are worse than you thought.

And you know, I'm not some rear end in a top hat misanthropist. I'm an optimist, and I hope you'll settle in before an eon has passed, but I also hope that every single day before that is filled with people telling, implying, discussing, joking, debating, and proving that you're not the best; it needs to sink in. If you accept the role as an irresponsible child, you should be treated as such.

Burn a flag, yell at a soldier, film the police, breastfeed in public, just do something to gently caress with the status quo.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Crasscrab posted:

What about the Mexican-American war of 1846? It's pretty important in defining the early american imperialism of the 19th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost

quote:

According US News, Larry Duncan, 56, a retired psychiatric nurse, and Randell Shepherd, 48, a computer programmer, of North Bend, Wash., have been together 11 years. They wore the matching outfits as a "fashion statement."

"We were at a party and we met eyes and fell in love," Duncan said to the news source.

"He came up and asked me out, and I said yes," Shepherd added.

• Locked thread