Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

aphid_licker posted:

I mean if there was a firm algorithm you could come up with a million cases where it produces hosed up results, unintended hosed up results I mean, not the intended hosed up result. There's no great way to decide when to end the world.

Honestly at this point any decision to end the world is the right one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

aphid_licker posted:

I mean if there was a firm algorithm you could come up with a million cases where it produces hosed up results, unintended hosed up results I mean, not the intended hosed up result. There's no great way to decide when to end the world.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Here's a military history question for you: why did August von Mackensen wear that stupid stoat skull hat?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Arglebargle III posted:

Here's a military history question for you: why did August von Mackensen wear that stupid stoat skull hat?

Paleo-goth

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arglebargle III posted:

A little thing called style

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Nebakenezzer posted:

Can't properly rock the Death's Head on a hat that's not made of dead things.

E: Real answer is that Mackensen was a cavalryman for much of his career and his later sartorial choices reflected the uniform of the Imperial hussar regiment he belonged to (1st Life Hussars).

There was apparently a kind of title or distinction within the Prussian army that allowed this sort of thing to take place. You do see it in other militaries as well.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 4, 2019

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I have a feeling that Hugo Boss would not have approved of that hat.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Tythas posted:

related but the airspace above both japan and south korea is getting heated as well

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/head-head-russia-japan-south-korea-and-china-face-skies-over-pacific-70846

I have always wondered, what is the point of intercept flights? From the earlier CNN article on this:

CNN posted:

What triggered the confrontation or why the planes were in the region is unclear, but analysts said the mission may have been designed by Russia to draw out South Korean and Japanese aircraft for intelligence gathering purposes.

"This mission will have given them a comprehensive map of the (South Korean) national air defense system," said Peter Layton, a former Royal Australian Air Force pilot and analyst at the Griffith Asia Institute.

This seems to apply to most intercepts. Unless you believe that the lone fighter jet approaching your border is planning a sneak attack on your capital what's the point? The only thing you gain is not have your pride quite as bad, while the other party may learn valuable information about your response times and methods.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The modern equivalent is soldiers being very proud of some unique article of uniform that only they get to have because they are so elite. Berets, airborne badges etc.
The universe has yet to produce a military that doesn't like to measure its dick. Or wear the measurements on its head I guess, especially in the 18th century.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Saukkis posted:

I have always wondered, what is the point of intercept flights? From the earlier CNN article on this:

This seems to apply to most intercepts. Unless you believe that the lone fighter jet approaching your border is planning a sneak attack on your capital what's the point? The only thing you gain is not have your pride quite as bad, while the other party may learn valuable information about your response times and methods.

It's mostly a political statement, but I'd say there's more to it than just national pride. The main point of having an air force for most sovereign nations is to make it so people can't dick around in your airspace uncontested. If you allow an overflight by a recon plane without intercepting it, that sends a message to Russia and China that they're clear to continue with that and to escalate, so now they'll try to send bombers or fighters out and penetrate deeper etc. Sending out a token fighter to intercept indicates that you're at least aware of their incursion and able to respond to it in some fashion.

The intel collection side of it is a factor in any kind of response and is something that will be considered when setting those response plans (like, don't turn on every single SAM site as soon as the A-50 busts the border), but in a case like this you want to demonstrate some of your capabilities to prevent that escalation.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

There's nothing that says you have to start the intercept the moment you detect the intruder. Detection games are complicated.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Can you really hide a strategic-size SAM site? What does it even look like? I doubt that they're just parking in a forest somewhere with some camo nets on top? More like a huge expanse of concrete pads and missile bunkers and hardstands for vehicles and a ginormous radar dish?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

aphid_licker posted:

Can you really hide a strategic-size SAM site? What does it even look like? I doubt that they're just parking in a forest somewhere with some camo nets on top? More like a huge expanse of concrete pads and missile bunkers and hardstands for vehicles and a ginormous radar dish?

"hide" is kind of a tough term...you can certainly conceal or harden an S-400 or Patriot emplacement if you have the time, which will make it harder to see, but there isn't much you can do to hide your megawatt radar when it goes active.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Geolocating down to the point where you can do something about it takes time, though. This is where radiation times, datalinks, and a whole bunch of other stuff starts to converge into "tactics."

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

aphid_licker posted:

Oh man, there's a whole industry around this kind of thing. Just to pick one example out of many, maybe it looks like 20 strategic SAM sites. One is real, nineteen are sophisticated fakes.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Apparently Germany currently has four, iirc, major SAM units (defined in this regular newspaper article I read as something that can defend a major urban area against nuke cruise missiles) and I'm seriously curious where those are rn and what they look like. Ie are they in something resembling "deployed" state or are they just parked in a hangar somewhere etc.

e: going by Luftwaffe.de they are hanging out in random barracks in the sticks so probably more parked than deployed.
e: the bases are all near the North (1 base) and Baltic (2 bases) Sea coasts so maybe they actually are sort of strategically placed after all.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 4, 2019

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Apparently Germany currently has four, iirc, major SAM units (defined in this regular newspaper article I read as something that can defend a major urban area against nuke cruise missiles) and I'm seriously curious where those are rn and what they look like. Ie are they in something resembling "deployed" state or are they just parked in a hangar somewhere etc.

e: going by Luftwaffe.de they are hanging out in random barracks in the sticks so probably more parked than deployed.
e: the bases are all near the North (1 base) and Baltic (2 bases) Sea coasts so maybe they actually are sort of strategically placed after all.

Hey, hey, hey. The Heer must have bought at least a dozen Gepards, do they not count? drat, is German AD just Patriot, Mantis, Gepards, and Wiesels? Just as much guns as missles if so.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

Hey, hey, hey. The Heer must have bought at least a dozen Gepards, do they not count? drat, is German AD just Patriot, Mantis, Gepards, and Wiesels? Just as much guns as missles if so.

The Gepards were partially sold to the Romanians and the rest retired :v:

The Heer divisions currently have no AD capability, Luftwaffle has Ocelot, Patriot and Mantis and inshallah one day we will get MEADS

e: apparently they swear that they will have something for SHORAD by 2022 for VJTF/NRF 23.

e: I mean the US doesn't have much either so clearly we are up there with the best

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 4, 2019

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Intercept flights are not just a political statement. If you enter controlled airspace without being in communication with the appropriate controlling agency, expect to see a fighter jet off your wing.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Training costs hella money

Getting someone to play OPFOR for you, even if they're OPFOR, as long as they have no real hostile intent, it's contractors with cool camo paintjobs we aren't paying. It's their cost-per-fligh-hour, not ours, to foot.

And of course, if you don't check them, who knows about hostile intent?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

aphid_licker posted:

Playing a little CMANO makes it interesting to glance at the open-source geolocation stuff every now and then.

There's no attempt to hide the few sites around DC, but obviously they could be made impossible to find. On the other hand, stuff like the various facilities for ballistic missile detection and interception in Alaska seem pretty much impossible to conceal for anybody working on this scale. Too bad there aren't any drive-in theaters anymore. Though, would you actually want it hidden or completely blindingly obvious?

On the opposite side of things, North Korea does try to conceal some of their sites like this to some extent; presumably others could be better hidden. Many are not at all. Again, there is a lot of game theory stuff to consider as to how much you show and how much you hide for both foreign and domestic audiences. Do you have enough typically active sites that are electronically obvious with no point to hide so that you can keep a bunch of others hidden with inactive radar? In the context of a game it's fun, but it's scary stuff and really seems like a major pain in the rear end for people who have to deal with it for real.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the one in Alaska is a GMD system, you can see the same thing at Vandenberg.

it is pretty simple to find achieve SAM sites with open source satellite imagery. they all look pretty much the same and they're all usually in about the same place relative to what they're trying to defend.

Dropped pin
Near Jangdeung-ri, Seotan-myeon, Pyeongtaek-si, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
https://maps.app.goo.gl/mYjVbWjKQTrce2Da9

Dropped pin
Near Al Bihouth - Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
https://maps.app.goo.gl/btpvRyTBHDDtYLfx9

Dropped pin
Near Al Jahra Governorate, Kuwait
https://maps.app.goo.gl/zvtpChxWmGEW4cZZ6

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I also enjoy that the old soviet era systems use a layout that resembles a bullseye like it's some black humor.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Speaking of nuclear war, India sneaked another couple tens of thousands of troops into their part of Kashmir, put the former ministers under house arrest, cut off phones and internet in the region, and is currently stripping the state of it's special status in favor of direct rule from the Indian central government.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Forgive my ignorance, but was Kashmir semi-autonomous before? Or was it partitioned into a Pakistani and Indian region?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Nebakenezzer posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but was Kashmir semi-autonomous before? Or was it partitioned into a Pakistani and Indian region?

It is partitioned between Pakistan and India. The Indian section used to have the rights listed out in Article 370, which allowed Indian Kashmir to have it's own constitution, a separate flag and independence over all matters except foreign affairs, defense and communications. India is about to revoke all of that for Indian Kashmir.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I'm in a bad mood lately, gently caress it world, let's go full Clancy in ultra 4K

ok no, that would be bad

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nebakenezzer posted:

What was the Princely State of Jammu and Kashmir is now split between India, Pakistan, and China.

The part that is administered by India was constitutionally treated as a state, with some special exclusive powers other Indian states don't have, such as the ability to regulate who is considered a "permanent resident" or not, and gatekeep a lot of things behind that.

Modi revoked all that overnight and retrograded J&K to the status of "union territory" -- not a state with its own local government, but a territory directly administered by the federal state of India.

And they've set up a massive military operation to attempt to thwart any riot that would result from this decision. The logistics of the whole thing are pretty impressive because they've managed to take the entire population as well as the local political parties and government completely by surprise.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

This is not good at all. Overall India doesn't much like Muslims. There has been a lot of "ethnic cleansing" of muslims in Northern India for quite a while...

How the gently caress India pulled this off without a hint of it before it happened is loving impressive though.

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

EvilMerlin posted:

How the gently caress India pulled this off without a hint of it before it happened is loving impressive though.

Even more so given that doing something like this was part of BJP's election manifesto, wasn't it?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

A lot of Indian states have pretty hefty population densities and the climate is not gonna be doing them any favors going forward. Some cities are already running out of water.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Big boom

https://twitter.com/JosephHDempsey/status/1158401140645650433

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I definitely yelled "yoooooo" out loud when I saw that.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

I'm in a bad mood lately, gently caress it world, let's go full Clancy in ultra 4K

ok no, that would be bad

Oh, I don't know, removing a billion or so people from the face of the planet combined with a general wealth reduction of the planet's elite (to pay for the killing) would probably be a net good for all of us. The ones that don't die, that is.

Removing a generation of our best and brightest has never been bad, has it?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

It just never ends for them does it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Raenir Salazar posted:

It just never ends for them does it.
In Russian "safety" is a four-letter word.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
That almost looks exactly like the explosion from their "FOAB" test.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
That looks so cool when it hits the cloud layer.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So guys

I have this wild, very advanced theory that Russia needs to get its economic poo poo together to the point that military infrastructure doesn't keep fragging itself before trying to expand it

golden bubble posted:

It is partitioned between Pakistan and India. The Indian section used to have the rights listed out in Article 370, which allowed Indian Kashmir to have it's own constitution, a separate flag and independence over all matters except foreign affairs, defense and communications. India is about to revoke all of that for Indian Kashmir.

So is this in response to anything, or just one big move on India's part?

aphid_licker posted:

A lot of Indian states have pretty hefty population densities and the climate is not gonna be doing them any favors going forward. Some cities are already running out of water.

Also Pakistan

Feel free to callout the places in India, but Karichi has the population of Canada but all the water for the city is being redirected so crims/richers can resell it

Basically I think the Indian subcontinent is going to dry out their last reserves, then have Problems

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

EvilMerlin posted:

Modi has experience