Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

i am harry posted:

let’s just do the math on this…

one unenthusiastic low wage employee - $12/hr
one of those price tag guns - $15

or a multi hundred thousand dollar rollout with a subscription fee pay structure including annual digital price tag refreshment (throw away ones that no longer work and get more in the mail)

no actual retail chain is going to use a price tag gun, they're going to use thermal printed stickers and have at least one dedicated employee and up to 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

I remember once there was discussion around here about price gouging during hurricanes and them passing a law to stop it, and the news (to look fair and balanced) talked to some libertarian idiots who represented the "actually price gouging is good" opinion and they proposed that if we just let the price of gas go to a thousand bucks a gallon during a hurricane, people will simply build heavily armored gas tanker trucks to drive the gas into the eye of the storm, easy peasy.

the real benefit in surge pricing like this is that rich people are never left out in high demand environments.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In my neighborhood they lower the price of slush drinks during heat waves. Seems like a better tactic than raising it but what do I know .

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

In Training posted:

In my neighborhood they lower the price of slush drinks during heat waves. Seems like a better tactic than raising it but what do I know .

poo poo, Tony. It’s too hot. The slush machine can’t keep up. We need to offload this fast or we’re gonna have a real sticky mess on our hands!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

In Training posted:

A surprisingly decent thing to do and possibly even a good idea yet even so I can't remotely comprehend it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

A surprisingly decent thing to do and possibly even a good idea yet even so I can't remotely comprehend it

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Saraiguma posted:

no actual retail chain is going to use a price tag gun, they're going to use thermal printed stickers and have at least one dedicated employee and up to 6

lol

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Saraiguma posted:

thank you for that incredibly important distinction. I obviously haven’t managed a jcpenny. so can we do the math on that then? how much did your department store pay for thermal printed stickers?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Milo and POTUS posted:

It might save lives but also hurt number.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hype to social engineer a manager's password to gently caress with these while waiting in line so I can afford milk.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Hype to social engineer a manager's password to gently caress with these while waiting in line so I can afford milk.

cyberpunk: vr hacking the corpro's mainframe to steal the satellite plans, making a cool billion eurobucks
regular punk: catfishing the safeway night manager's password so you can buy bread for 2019 prices

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Good news: I really doubt anyone bothers or is even allowed to change the company default password.
I would also recommend changing various items to funny numbers, condoms are 69 cents, everything gun or flag is 666 dollars, cookies and crisps are 4.20 and so forth.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Maybe it was an urban legend but I thought soda machines could already do this for many years, raising prices when the temperature or time of day hit a particular threshold.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

just put qr codes instead of prices so your customers can look up what the stuff costs in the app

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Panfilo posted:

Maybe it was an urban legend but I thought soda machines could already do this for many years, raising prices when the temperature or time of day hit a particular threshold.

I learnt in a case study coke/pepsi tried this and people freaked out. that was 30 years ago of something

news article on it from 20 years ago
https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/27/business/why-variable-pricing-fails-at-the-vending-machine.html

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Shame Boy posted:

I remember once there was discussion around here about price gouging during hurricanes and them passing a law to stop it, and the news (to look fair and balanced) talked to some libertarian idiots who represented the "actually price gouging is good" opinion and they proposed that if we just let the price of gas go to a thousand bucks a gallon during a hurricane, people will simply build heavily armored gas tanker trucks to drive the gas into the eye of the storm, easy peasy.

I remember the libertarian angle being, "price gouging prevents hoarding, actually :hurr:".

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I mean, price gouging is hoarding, but if it's a corporation does it, it is good instead of bad because corporations are great and people are disgusting and weak.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Peggotty posted:

I mean, price gouging is hoarding, but if it's a corporation does it, it is good instead of bad because corporations are great and people are disgusting and weak.

But... corporations ARE people :confused:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
only corporations are people. humans are a different, lesser category of entity.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

no lube so what posted:

I learnt in a case study coke/pepsi tried this and people freaked out. that was 30 years ago of something

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/27/business/why-variable-pricing-fails-at-the-vending-machine.html

the cpc couldn't raise the price of a matchsticks

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Saraiguma posted:

Hobby lobby

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

that's a cult not a retail chain

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Saraiguma posted:

that's a cult not a retail chain

I mean... if you look at how retail tries to get buy-in from its employees, they're all a little cult-y.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Petco was absolutely one of the worst because they weaponize a genuine love of animals to push people into doing more for less. It's gross.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I mean... if you look at how retail tries to get buy-in from its employees, they're all a little cult-y.

walmartchant.txt

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

Petco was absolutely one of the worst because they weaponize a genuine love of animals to push people into doing more for less. It's gross.

ugh i hadn't even considered this before but of course they do

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

no lube so what posted:

that time it didn’t work because it had the wrong name

this time it will have the right name

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

i am harry posted:

that time it didn’t work because it had the wrong name

this time it will have the right name

It didn't work because you rolled to the machine with exactly 75c or whatever and when the machine was suddenly 80 you got pissed and left.

Now everyone has cards and can pay whatever our feudal lords demand.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
okay it's a word not a png but whatever the gently caress an "activation" is it needs to die

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

raverrn posted:

It didn't work because you rolled to the machine with exactly 75c or whatever and when the machine was suddenly 80 you got pissed and left.

Now everyone has cards and can pay whatever our feudal lords demand.

Why I still use change. Also how will people know I've got 10s of dollars if my pockets aren't jingling when I walk

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

my money don't jiggle jiggle, it folds :smug:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why I still use change. Also how will people know I've got 10s of dollars if my pockets aren't jingling when I walk

Is that a pack mule? No, that's just Milo and POTUS wearing cargo shorts filled with nickels and dimes.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

poemdexter posted:

Is that a pack mule? No, that's just Milo and POTUS wearing cargo shorts filled with nickels and dimes.

Buying a candy bar at the 7-11 and I hear a weird rhythmic jingling. The clerks faces grimaces as Milo and potus walks up with three energy drinks and starts stacking nickels and dines on the counter

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I once won 100 marks in bajazzo in K-market Port Arthur and was too drunk to ask the cashier to change to banknotes and my trousers kept a-janglingly falling down all the way home.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Eat This Glob posted:

my money don't jiggle jiggle, it folds :smug:

Probably the greatest backpack rap to ever come from a celebrated British journalist, imo.

For the uninitiated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSfRRBNPfFs

First time I've ever heard "lèse-majesté" in a bar too

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I once won 100 marks in bajazzo in K-market Port Arthur and was too drunk to ask the cashier to change to banknotes and my trousers kept a-janglingly falling down all the way home.

I didn't know you guys had k-marts

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

I didn't know you guys had k-marts

https://youtu.be/uZee96IbI2U?si=kTUwwy9NNjRV3qFJ

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

What the gently caress is "American dressing"?

Is it just miracle whip, I bet it's just miracle whip.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shame Boy posted:

What the gently caress is "American dressing"?

Is it just miracle whip, I bet it's just miracle whip.

It's revenge for Italian dressing and Russian dressing.

But really it's yoghurt, mayo, ketchup, and parsley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Paladinus posted:

It's revenge for Italian dressing and Russian dressing.

But really it's yoghurt, mayo, ketchup, and parsley.

The yoghurt is a lil' out of left field but "mayo and ketchup" is definitely very American, yeah ok