Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

Solitair posted:

One of the highlights of me streaming LobCorp to friends was using the Syrinx weapon and having the air around my agents being spammed with baby cries every time they attacked. We all thought it was hilarious.

Punching people with babies is inherently funny and I will die on this hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShyGuy1231
Jan 7, 2021
I would much prefer something happen that isn't our fault, if that's quite alright.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Lo, the thread has spoken! We're doing the center-left node next, in a surprise victory for the lower threat level.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Wasn't expecting them to win. Guess we leave the hardest fight for last.

Leoshiki
Jul 19, 2022

Evil Kit posted:

Arbiters and Claws are not controlled by Wings but by the Head, who sic's them on whoever steps out of line. The main difference between the two (arbiter vs claw) is how bad you done hosed up.

Opps my mistake then, and thank you for correcting me.

I'm starting to think that Roland wanted to go to a nest with Wife, and unborn child but failed to do so. But the thing is even if he did get up there said wing would just make make it impossible for them to live in peace because what is implied their both high level fixers(Hell it's even hinted that Roland is colored one, and since his wife can kick his rear end she might be one as well) and there's no way in hell a wing would not use those two for dangerous mission while holding their kid(once it's born) as hostage. Then when the two are finally KIA said wing gives their kid to the head(of course for a price) to head to train it to become a claw or a Arbiter.

Leoshiki fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 26, 2022

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Evil Kit posted:

Arbiters and Claws are not controlled by Wings but by the Head, who sic's them on whoever steps out of line. The main difference between the two (arbiter vs claw) is how bad you done hosed up.

If you gently caress up bad, they send a mechanically augmented killing machine after you. If you gently caress up really bad, they send a lawyer.

(The lawyer is also an augmented killing machine).

TheDoomkitten
Jun 11, 2022

Angela did nothing wrong.

TeeQueue posted:

Lo, the thread has spoken! We're doing the center-left node next, in a surprise victory for the lower threat level.

I mostly voted for the lower-threat option because the Reverence encounter seemed like it would be a better fit for the climax to Urban Nightmare, tbh

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Vile posted:

If you gently caress up bad, they send a mechanically augmented killing machine after you. If you gently caress up really bad, they send a lawyer.

The lawyer uses what is more or less straight up magic.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

TheDoomkitten posted:

I mostly voted for the lower-threat option because the Reverence encounter seemed like it would be a better fit for the climax to Urban Nightmare, tbh

Same. You got to do it the dramatically appropriate way.

oobitydoo
Oct 1, 2021

Mr. Vile posted:

Oh no, what happens when Phoenix Wright distorts?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Evil Kit posted:

This here is still my favorite take on this particular question about the difference between Claws and Arbiters:

Tenebrais posted:

Claws are for when someone's being a problem, Arbiters are for when someone's being a solution.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.

oobitydoo posted:

Oh no, what happens when Phoenix Wright distorts?

You get Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law!

SlimeTheCrazy
Feb 21, 2022

I HAVE CHORTLES
I always found it interesting how PMs version of the Oz gang still follows the books version in that they're desperately seeking out things that, unbeknownst to themselves, they already possess.

The scarecrow is searching for knowledge to be smarter, but he already possesses innate intelligence and is capable of clever trickery and planning in order to get what it wants, specially demonstrated in the fact it's abno fight is in it of itself a puzzle.

The warm hearted woodsman wants to be respected as more than a machine and be able to feel, but it seems hyper focused on the belief that physically obtaining a heart will bring it closer to this person hood and make its feelings more valid and human, when truly the very feelings it's feeling about its lack of heart shows it truly has a capacity for care of emotions that already is on par with any humans.

The Oz abnos are some of my favorite PMs has made and I'm very happy with the abno fights in this game, rhey all do a great job at demonstrating the abnos inherent quirks and personalities and convey so much about them with very little words.
Also they're *mostly* fun.
Mostly.

Anyways, excited for the next reception. I was talking to TQ in a server once and he was dreading having having write this one for reasons that shall soon become obvious.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I think I mentioned the same thing in the general PM thread.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022
This latest Abnormality battle shows us why Chesed truly deserves to be captain of the Floor of Social Science.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Does Cardiae reset when you use the page with a lowered cost, or if a fight goes on long enough could you eventually get your deck down to all 0-cost cards?

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Junpei posted:

Does Cardiae reset when you use the page with a lowered cost, or if a fight goes on long enough could you eventually get your deck down to all 0-cost cards?
Last line of the card is "The Cost reduction is reset when the pages are used", so you tell me :V

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Book 33: Smiling Faces—Chapter 1

Music: Lobby

We're following up on the Shi plotline today, as we finally begin to approach the end of Urban Nightmare. Just two nodes left, and nothing could possibly get in the way of finishing those, right? :v:

VIDEO
Music: StoryNervous

My poor friend is about to faint from crying, see…

Thelma… Oh, Thelma… You pitiful friend…

You’d better hold your tears in, though. The real fun hasn’t even begun yet.

Ain’t this one scaredy little fellow, Wang, me pal~

Now let’s see ‘ere… Blue fella, how many slices did ye want again…?

Thelma may be a dear friend of mine, but breaking promises is a serious crime, so…

How about ten thousand slices?

Alrighty, alrighty. Leave it ta me, chap.

Aw, buggeridoo~! Mi, you greedy ol’ lass!! Ye can’t just eat all of the slices off the plate!!!

Now, now~ There’s still plenty more for all o’ us, so don’t fight over some bitty meat. I gotta try and flake enough to feed all o’ us full.

Thelma… Don’t give me such a look. You knew the terms of our deal. You were handling all the tasks so well, you can’t just fail me in the end…

Blue feller, looks like this feller has something ta’ say already… Do we pull the gag outta his mouth?

Sure, please do.

Blue Reverb… You… crazy son of a bitch… Don’t be ridiculous… You’re the one who gave me an impossible task in the first place…!

Sigh… It was your choice to only employ Section 2 of the southern branch for this, Thelma. You could’ve had Section 1 deal with some of them. Little Mister Prideful Thelma tried pulling a shabby scheme to get rid of Section 2 so he could keep his seat, and now he’s failed to keep up his promise with me.

But you!!! You gave me the hint to use them!!!

I never said it was a must, though, now did I? All I asked from you was to take care of the things on the list within the period I set. And you agreed to it.

…Cunning bastard… …If you kill me, the branch manager… Then Section 1 of my branch will be after you, and Shi HQ will too… Even Hana is going to make a move… So… Please…! Please give me another chance…

Thelma… You just can’t bring yourself to say sorry for breaking our promise till the very end. It aches my heart to see it. Oh, and you don’t have to worry about me.

Remind me where we are, friends?

Woh, really? Don’t this poor ol’ lad realize it’s nighttime?

Course he wouldn’t! His eyes are covered tighty-like!

Aye, aye.

…The Night in the Backstreets?

Bingo-bingo. No one will ever know where or how you died, and who killed you. You’ll just slowly melt away from the City… Right?

Kay then! Let’s proceed with it, friends.

…I’m sorry! I’m so sorry, sir! I’m terribly sorry… Khn, hnn… I’m sorry for breaking our promise…

……

What do we doodily-do, Blue fella?

Do we cut it short ‘ere?

Thelma…

Yes! Argalia… It’s all my fault… I swear… I swear! That I’ll never! Try to pull any cheap schemes! And I’ll never break promises with you ever again…!

There’s no way I’d actually spare you for making a sincere apology. I knew you weren’t the brightest friend in the supposed shed, but I didn’t think you’d be this slow.

Still… I’ll take your apology to heart.

Now, now. Time to put yer gags back on, laddie. Say ah~

Don’t make such a sad face, lad~ We all gotta have more smiles and laughter in our life.

What’ll we do next, fella?

As soon as you’re done with him, head to the Library. I’ll leave the invitation here.

And take good care of Thelma. He was my old friend, all in all.

Hoh hon. You bet we will. Take care, laddie~

Now then, Eileen. Shall we go meet some other friends?

Of course, sir.

Music: Lobby

Sigh… That absolute madman… He’s a Fixer, and he’s got a Distortion and even the Smiling Faces on his leash…

Being a Color must mean having immense power, is that right?

Mmhmm. Colors are exceptionally skilled Fixers even among Grade 1. Hana Association assigns a unique color to each of ‘em.

Assigned a color…

They’re the best Fixers in the City, basically.

Their pay is way up there, too.

I suppose ‘The Blue Reverberation’ was assigned the color blue.

Yep. Just like how ‘The Red Mist’ was assigned the color red.

Is he as strong as the Red Mist?

This is basically always true. If you're betting on the outcome of a 1v1 fight and The Red Mist in her prime is one of the combatants, you go with her. It just so happens that things are rarely ever that simple in the City.

But, there’s a whole lot of fields of Fixer activity, and the situations can differ for each case, so it’s hard to make a fair one-on-one comparison. For example, the Red Mist liked to work alone, but the Blue Reverb is leading a Urban Nightmare-class Syndicate as you can see there.

Could we get the Blue Reverberation’s book if we ever happen to need it?

Maybe, if we tried by any means. The City would be much better off without that maniac, too.

Music: Entrance

Don’t get lost in it now, lad! Ya got to keep on yer toes in a tiger’s den.

Huff~ ‘s about time the director showed up?

Nice to meet ya, lassie~

Say, you have the book of an ol’ pal named Yujin here, eh?

We do indeed.

Woh, really? Guess there really is. Blue fella really is a scary one.

Sure is, sure is. Everything’s goin’ as he says.

…May you find your book in this place.

Next time, on Library of Ruina: :okpos:

Videos

Smiling Faces 1

Thank you for meeting me at this hour. I understand things can get a bit hectic around here.

No trouble at all.

I don't really remember us talking much. What's up, Steve?

I've… hit a wall.

Someone threw you into one? Just walk it off, man. These bodies are incredible.

A metaphorical wall. I've been practicing against those Wedge Office guys from before… but no matter what I do, I can't take four guys at once. At most I drop one of them. This melody… it's incomplete.

Dude… you're taking on four guys? And one of them's… that?!

I haven't even seen whatever 'that' is referring to, but… well, someone's got to carry the weight on my floor, and mastering this weapon is my plan.

So you've come to us for training… What do you think, Omni?

I think we can take him under our wing. He'll learn all about what real power is, and—

Hold on. This is dumb. You're both dumb.

When did you get here?!

I invited her as well.

They're going to drag you off to watch those dumb shows of theirs, and you'll wind up weird before you know it.

It's a perfectly valid path to true power.

Yeah, maybe on the floor of magical girls and sparkly dreams. Sparring 'til you get it right's where it's at. I'll let you in on our dailies. You'll catch up in a hurry. Or get your rear end kicked. One of the two.

Or, we can go through and check out the latest season of Masked Citydweller Arbiranger together, and you can see all about what kind of techniques can let one guy take on a literal army of powerful opponents.

I'll do both. There should be time for that, right?

You're really buying their crazy?

It's not crazy if it works.

He means, that's fine with us.

I really like this oboe. So… I'll try anything, everything, until I've perfected it. It may be hard to pencil it in between talking battle strategy with Literature and observation techniques with Tech Sciences, but I'll figure it out. Running all these stairs has done wonders for my endurance.

When are you… sleeping?

We have to sleep?

I just. Sort of assumed.

Come to think of it, our all-nighters have been a lot easier…

Being monsters is pretty awesome, huh?

Y'know… it kind of is.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

How a band of cannibalistic elderly stoners rates on the City scale of weirdness? Also, RIP Thelma, I guess? He was responsible from behind the scenes for bringing two receptions to us and now hise relevence to the plot came to an end.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
Heh, I just bet that Tenebrais is just pleased as/to punch to find out that she doesn’t need to sleep and can just keep fighting poo poo and training for just about as long as she wants. At the very least she can use all 24 hours in the day.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Have fun with those battle bantz, Tee :v:

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
The CG seems to be very well drawn. Just look at the Smiling Face's very well detailed appearance. Are they the artist's favorite character or something?

Also, the Church of Gear's leader seems to no longer has a face.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Wait, wasn't the Church of Gears leader one of the targets that Argalia assigned Thelma to kill? Ballsy as hell for him to bring a former target to the execution of a henchman, I suppose.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Theantero posted:

Have fun with those battle bantz, Tee :v:

Game is ez

Writing for smiling faces and Oswald is the true difficulty curve.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Ain't nuffin worth smilin' about as taking a slice in, wuzzit, 23, right? Hon hon hon

TheDoomkitten
Jun 11, 2022

now let the weed jokes commence

And I, for one, am looking forward to the results of Steven's anime (literally and not) training arc, whatever it may be. God bless you, you beautiful bunny man.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

dervival posted:

Wait, wasn't the Church of Gears leader one of the targets that Argalia assigned Thelma to kill? Ballsy as hell for him to bring a former target to the execution of a henchman, I suppose.

Yujin sent the Full-Stop office after the Church of Gears. It was part of her personal investigation into Thelma.

iwfan53
May 11, 2018

golden bubble posted:

Yujin sent the Full-Stop office after the Church of Gears. It was part of her personal investigation into Thelma.

The line from the book was actually

"However, Shi Association was too fatigued from the barrage of requests, so I asked Full-Stop Office to deal with the Church of Gears, whose leader seemed to harness a power that resembles the Distortion. "

So I think Shi was told to go after Church of Gears by Thelma, who was told to go after them by Blue Scythe Guy back in the Urban Plague opening scene... because Blue Scythe Guy wanted to get the Church of Gears in his debt when he saved them)

At least... that is more reasonable to me than having Blue Scythe Guy to have shown up to save them at exactly the right time just by pure random chance when he wasn't expecting anyone to be trying to attack the Church of Gears....

Thus bringing her along to Thelma's torture session could lead to this...

Thelma: What is she even doing here? You ordered me to have her killed!

Church of Gears Lady: What is he talking about?

Blue Scythe Guy: What are you talking about? People having flakes of their skin peeled off one by one say such crazy things! (Under his breath through a forced smile) Gag him now......

iwfan53 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 29, 2022

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

iwfan53 posted:

Blue Scythe Guy: What are you talking about? People having flakes of their skin peeled off one by one say such crazy things! (Under his breath through a forced smile) Gag him now......

Hah, I guess it's not coincidence that Thelma is blinded then? (The smiling faces commenting he can't tell that it's night in the backstreets)

Edit: pronouns

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 29, 2022

iwfan53
May 11, 2018

Rawkking posted:

Hah, I guess it's not coincidence that Thelma is blinded then? (The smiling faces commenting she can't tell that it's night in the backstreets)

"And take good care of Thelma. He was my old friend, all in all."

Mark another one down for "The City cares naught for modern relations between a person's name and their gender."

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

iwfan53 posted:

The line from the book was actually

"However, Shi Association was too fatigued from the barrage of requests, so I asked Full-Stop Office to deal with the Church of Gears, whose leader seemed to harness a power that resembles the Distortion. "

So I think Shi was told to go after Church of Gears by Thelma, who was told to go after them by Blue Scythe Guy back in the Urban Plague opening scene... because Blue Scythe Guy wanted to get the Church of Gears in his debt when he saved them)

At least... that is more reasonable to me than having Blue Scythe Guy to have shown up to save them at exactly the right time just by pure random chance when he wasn't expecting anyone to be trying to attack the Church of Gears....

Alternatively, her reaction to him appearing at all means that he realized that setting her up for a rescue was completely pointless, and she would have followed him regardless of how she met him (and, as a result, doesn't really care about the attempted assassination at all).

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Nevermind, for the moment, how stupid this plan of "training" by watching anime is. WHY ARE YOU WATCHING IT IN MY ROOM?!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

NullBlack posted:

Nevermind, for the moment, how stupid this plan of "training" by watching anime is. WHY ARE YOU WATCHING IT IN MY ROOM?!

Oh my god that is such a deep cut.

Amazing. :golfclap:

iwfan53
May 11, 2018

GilliamYaeger posted:

Alternatively, her reaction to him appearing at all means that he realized that setting her up for a rescue was completely pointless, and she would have followed him regardless of how she met him (and, as a result, doesn't really care about the attempted assassination at all).

Church of Gears Lady: You are… Ah, could you be the person my father always talked about…?

Blue Scythe Guy: Mmm… I guess. Say, I need you right now… Would you like to come with me?

Church of Gears Lady: Yes… Of course! I’ve been waiting for you for my whole life, a perfect fit with the gear that is me…

That's not an impossible way to read the scene, but I guess we'll have to crack open Church of Gear Lady's book itself to discover what exactly her father told her to wait for... because if it was some guy who would save her from trouble/protect her from harm then knowing he's the reason she's being shot at right then might strip a few teeth from the gear she currently considers a perfect fit....

TheDoomkitten
Jun 11, 2022

NullBlack posted:

now this is some QUALITY, i love it

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Mr. Black has to fight these guys. They're cannibals named the Smiling Faces!

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I like how joyful these guys are. Always with a smile on their faces, that's the way.

Also, you go Steve, train up and show them the true power of an oboist!

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

Slaan posted:

Ain't nuffin worth smilin' about as taking a slice in, wuzzit, 23, right? Hon hon hon

I certainly hope a certain smiling librarian will be part of the next Reception.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

Junpei posted:

Mr. Black has to fight these guys. They're cannibals named the Smiling Faces!

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking!

Let's spread the word and all beg together harder than Thelma did during his final moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Faith 'n' Begorrah, it's time to fight the Smiling Faces and steal their pot o' gold!