Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Vehementi posted:

Was anyone able to figure out the dowry quest?

I entered the building, spoke to JB, killed the bandits, and did not open the safe. She seemed happy. Then I left, went into the sewer thing and found the dowry pistol in the safe in there, and journal updated to "this seems to be her dowry, give it to her". When I go back to talk to her (after finishing everything else) she says "I'm too busy planning my perfect wedding". I opened the safe and got the note from her dad too, didn't change anything. I guess it's some beta bug?

Yep, you did that quest in the "wrong" order, where you're supposed to get that note first. Otherwise it would be hard to tell that the thing was related to the questgiver, beside the initials. It shouldn't really matter, but as you guessed, beta bug.

On another note, what level should you have charisma at? I'm not sure it has had most any effect on anything so far. Does leadership do anything in particular, either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Maybe I'm a total retard, but could someone tell me what skill I need to use the radio towers? I have the repeaters. Also, is toaster repair worth putting a point in? How does the skill level affect its use?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

after how do you get to the location after you investigate the first area? it's surrounded by radiation.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PirateBob posted:

Maybe I'm a total retard, but could someone tell me what skill I need to use the radio towers? I have the repeaters. Also, is toaster repair worth putting a point in? How does the skill level affect its use?

You don't need to use any skill, just set the repeaters to a quickslot and use it directly on the tower. As for toaster repair Not really. It gives you some cool extra loot in a few hidden locations but overall it is pretty useless, much like the original skill. Fun to use, especially when you find the more difficult to spot ones, but your points are better spent elsewhere.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Toaster Repair can be used on the first tower, like any tech skill. So there's that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So what's the injoke for that skill? Why is it specifically 'toaster repair'? Was it just a silly holdover from the first game because nostalgia or are there toasters scattered about that you can eventually build into a mecha suit or something if you have a high enough toaster skill?

If it doesn't do anything but give you a few XPs it seems wasteful to have that skill AND perception (which gives you some XPs for looking at things in addition to other bits and bobs).

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Clearly there's going to be a bronze-plated toaster, a silver-plated toaster, and a gold-plated toaster for the aspiring toaster repairman to fix. You then take them to a mutant midget scientist and...

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
There are literally toasters you can repair aka unlock for loot.

The 4 xp for scanning a dude from perception seems to reset on every zone in, or at least every reload. So you could give everyone perception, go to a place you know there are a lot of NPCs and repeatedly scan + save + load for unlimited XP I guess.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Lotish posted:

The map is full of caves. One of them has a dead robot and a box with the repeaters. If you don't get a bug like I did the first time you should get a call from Vargas.

Oh. I had found the cave, but I couldn't click on the box. The active spot always went to the robot. Had to zoom in.

Right now the Ag Center is kicking my rear end because the game refuses to give me any 9mm rounds and I'm pretty much out of ammo. :mad:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Drifter posted:

Was it just an silly extremely important holdover from the first game because nostalgia?

Yes. If it were missing it would have been terrible.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Presto posted:

Right now the Ag Center is kicking my rear end because the game refuses to give me any 9mm rounds and I'm pretty much out of ammo. :mad:

You don't need ammo. Just beat the poo poo out of everyone. If you have Ace's girlfriend with you, the wrench does massive amounts of damage. Of course, the pod people explode when they die, so that sucks.

Don't let your medic die like I did, you're hosed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Drifter posted:

So what's the injoke for that skill? Why is it specifically 'toaster repair'? Was it just a silly holdover from the first game because nostalgia or are there toasters scattered about that you can eventually build into a mecha suit or something if you have a high enough toaster skill?

If it doesn't do anything but give you a few XPs it seems wasteful to have that skill AND perception (which gives you some XPs for looking at things in addition to other bits and bobs).

I'm hoping there's a talking toaster companion like in Red Dwarf. Or the final boss is a giant toaster and you fix him to save mankind.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

I'm hoping there's a talking toaster companion like in Red Dwarf. Or the final boss is a giant toaster and you fix him to save mankind.

or maybe you can build yourself a sexy toastbot, and romance it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You know, while the powergamer in me likes that spamming Perception gives plenty of XP, there's something really hosed up about calling your boss for promotions because you've spent a few hours staring at kids :v:

Anyway, onto more serious questions- will we need to start a new game every time the game updates? If not, can we assume our beta saves carry over into the game proper?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

CommissarMega posted:

You know, while the powergamer in me likes that spamming Perception gives plenty of XP, there's something really hosed up about calling your boss for promotions because you've spent a few hours staring at kids :v:

They should make a cheevo for that. "Reddit Connoisseur"

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
This game is really poorly optimized, but that's to be expected, what with it being a beta and all.

I don't even care, it could run at a literal slideshow framerate and I would still love it to death. It's more Wasteland! <3

I really wish there was a way to make the drat text larger, though. It's quite irritating, I'm playing it at my native resolution and almost all of the text is too tiny to read clearly.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Mister Bates posted:

I really wish there was a way to make the drat text larger, though. It's quite irritating, I'm playing it at my native resolution and almost all of the text is too tiny to read clearly.
Have you increased the text size in options to its max already?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Drifter posted:

So what's the injoke for that skill? Why is it specifically 'toaster repair'?

At the beginning of the game you're overwhelmed with a variety of skills and possible career paths for your new player. You roll up the best stats you can get and then you pick and choose a very few carefully decided skills to have for the rest of the game. You're definitely going to need Swimming and some gun skills and ooh, energy weapons! Diplomacy can't hurt and hell yes to lockpicking. There at the end of the list is this weirdass "Toaster Repair". Do you take it and use up one of your precious skill slots or just wonder about it for the game?

Bah, it's bullshit, let's play the game. <hours later> Oh poo poo! No way, I found a broken toaster! There's no way in hell I'm going back to pick up that skill but maybe on my next playthrough.

There you go - there are toasters to fix (not many) and you need to skill to do it. It really doesn't break the game if you ignore it completely. Here in the Beta I've run across two or three toasters already so I think they are making it a more viable skill to keep around. It's funny to pull a full size rocket launch out of a broken toaster. No wonder the thing wouldn't pop up, look what was stuck in it!

CommissarMega posted:

Anyway, onto more serious questions- will we need to start a new game every time the game updates? If not, can we assume our beta saves carry over into the game proper?
It's unlikely that they'll keep the same save format moving forward. There will be tweaks and other optimizations near the end. Plan on starting completely fresh when the final game is released.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

I just really don't like 'xp per use' for skills. It just encourages really repetitious grinding.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dibujante posted:

I just really don't like 'xp per use' for skills. It just encourages really repetitious grinding.

Oldschool values. :eng101:

:negative:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Enemys in cover when you only have 2-3 pts in a weapon skill and have a huge open area to cross to get close to them makes things a bit of a pain.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ded posted:

Enemys in cover when you only have 2-3 pts in a weapon skill and have a huge open area to cross to get close to them makes things a bit of a pain.

Sounds like someone should have boosted their toaster repair skill.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

ravenkult posted:

You don't need ammo. Just beat the poo poo out of everyone. If you have Ace's girlfriend with you
Who's Ace's girlfriend? :confused:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Darkhold posted:

Have you increased the text size in options to its max already?

Yep, it's still too drat small to read without squinting. I'll try fiddling with the screen resolution.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Presto posted:

Who's Ace's girlfriend? :confused:

Angela Deth. You can meet her right from the start if you swing left from the exit in front of the Citadel instead of leaving immediately. She's much higher level than you, being a character from the first game, and so she can be a crutch while you get started. While you may be lucky to get 60% hit odds at first, she'll reliably have 100%.

Recruited Ralphy. The boy has zeroes in every skill. Amazing. And it looks like Non-player team mates don't level up, so I have no idea where to even begin with him.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Lotish posted:

Angela Deth. You can meet her right from the start if you swing left from the exit in front of the Citadel instead of leaving immediately. She's much higher level than you, being a character from the first game, and so she can be a crutch while you get started. While you may be lucky to get 60% hit odds at first, she'll reliably have 100%.

Recruited Ralphy. The boy has zeroes in every skill. Amazing. And it looks like Non-player team mates don't level up, so I have no idea where to even begin with him.

Sounds like a fine candidate for meat shield, to me.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
That's weird, NPCs did level up in the original game. I remember rescuing a random homeless guy from being used as a human sacrifice by a crazy cult, then training him up to be a ridiculously awesome melee weapons master with a Proton Axe.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mister Bates posted:

That's weird, NPCs did level up in the original game. I remember rescuing a random homeless guy from being used as a human sacrifice by a crazy cult, then training him up to be a ridiculously awesome melee weapons master with a Proton Axe.

That sounds more by design, to be honest. Quite frankly, I'd be very surprised if a homeless man DIDN'T eventually evolve into an axe-wielding murderthug.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
NPCs do level up, it's just that to get to level 15 you need a total of 8k exp, and Angela starts at 0 xp but is level 14. So she will reach level 15 when your characters do. I recruited the indian girl and she was level 1 and leveled quickly.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Playing a beta has been weird. I really am annoyed that the rest of the game isn't there. THen again, I'd go nuts if this level of bugginess was present in the final release. Still, holy poo poo, Wasteland 2 is going to be a ton of fun once it's polished up and I can't wait to go rambling off in a dozen directions to explore all the side quests and silly stuff.

Meanwhile, I'm stuck in the Rail Nomads Camp. I was told to go talk to the chief but can't find him anywhere. I found a huge warehouse thing, lockpicked my way in and was attacked by choppers. I saw his name on the list of npc's in the fight but no indication of where he was on the map. That whole camp is seriously annoying, it's too drat big for the amount of quests you have. Oh, and did anyone come up here with Vulture's Cry in their party? I ditched her and then saw she uses the same character model as the railroad folks. I think she said she's from another tribe so I don't think I'm missing anything.

It's been interesting seeing the youtube playthroughs go up and seeing folks with their one or two game saves. Oh man, those poor souls. I've got 36 saves and counting as I trudge my way through the wasteland. As I learned in the first game, Save Early, Save Often.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Quarex posted:

On the subject of post-apocalyptic-game-names, "Snake Vargas" has basically sounded like the coolest nickname/real name combination in history to me ever since I first saw it. I was profoundly excited to see that they obviously agreed and decided he needed to be important in Wasteland 2.

Basically what I am saying is that I wish I could get away with calling myself Snake Vargas.

Qua "Snake Vargas" Rex

HEY QUAREX!!!

I HEARD YOUR RADIO BROADCAST OUT IN THE WASTES!

I was roaming along, nearing the edge of the map and *bam* here comes a reference to Quarex's Video Game Emporium. WOOOO!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

CuddleChunks posted:

Meanwhile, I'm stuck in the Rail Nomads Camp. I was told to go talk to the chief but can't find him anywhere. I found a huge warehouse thing, lockpicked my way in and was attacked by choppers. I saw his name on the list of npc's in the fight but no indication of where he was on the map. That whole camp is seriously annoying, it's too drat big for the amount of quests you have. Oh, and did anyone come up here with Vulture's Cry in their party? I ditched her and then saw she uses the same character model as the railroad folks. I think she said she's from another tribe so I don't think I'm missing anything.

He's just past the locomotive, up the hill, inside a building. If you have Ralphy, he may comment; Angela will say something when you go inside if you're in the right place.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Well, got a chance to poke around at this tonight, and wow is the fog of war mechanic annoying. Unless there is a lantern I'm missing, I very much won't be looking forward to doing highpool in the live...and it doesn't bode well for the rest of it.

I assume that even if you are smartmouthed enough to say "both" if you do highpool, you are inherently locked out of saving the people at the ag complex, and vice versa?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Slo-Tek posted:

Well, got a chance to poke around at this tonight, and wow is the fog of war mechanic annoying. Unless there is a lantern I'm missing, I very much won't be looking forward to doing highpool in the live...and it doesn't bode well for the rest of it.

I assume that even if you are smartmouthed enough to say "both" if you do highpool, you are inherently locked out of saving the people at the ag complex, and vice versa?

Well the "both" option is just you noticing that both places are being hit essentially at the same time and how suspicious that is in regards to your comms-security, it doesn't grant you the ability to do anything about it. Whichever place you decide to go for transforms the other spot into a new kind of level, meaning more content to enjoy in new playthroughs, so I'm fine with it.

I'm presuming they'll try tweaking the FoW before the beta ends. Not that it is entirely awful but it has a ways to go.

Edit: A question about the Rail Nomads Camp: What's going on with Hell Razor? Who offed him and is there any way to figure that out?

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 16, 2013

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Be careful in the Rail Nomad camp. This spot here next to the corpse will get you stuck.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone have any tips for dealing with the Highpool roaches? Is there a way to fix the irrigation without dealing with them? Because right now, only my sniper dude and Angela are doing anything remotely resembling damage to them, everyone is getting 0's across the board.

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

CommissarMega posted:

Anyone have any tips for dealing with the Highpool roaches? Is there a way to fix the irrigation without dealing with them? Because right now, only my sniper dude and Angela are doing anything remotely resembling damage to them, everyone is getting 0's across the board.

Use fists/hand-to-hand weapons.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Really? They were like the easiest critters I've dealt with. Then again, did you upgrade someone to the M41 rifle? Because I swept that with my bruiser, Cold Eye, and my custom with the assault rifle.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, I've got the M41; my custom and Angela are the only ones who can use ARs, and I can't use Vulture's Eye because sniper ammo is rare and I don't want to waste my meagre 20 bullets on a Skill 2 sniper.

Aries posted:

Use fists/hand-to-hand weapons.

Would fists really work that well? If something can withstand a bullet, I'd doubt fists would do much more. Also I minmaxed my dudes (3 of whom are custom) so only 1 of them has a strength higher than 2 :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, I've got the M41; my custom and Angela are the only ones who can use ARs, and I can't use Vulture's Eye because sniper ammo is rare and I don't want to waste my meagre 20 bullets on a Skill 2 sniper.

Would fists really work that well? If something can withstand a bullet, I'd doubt fists would do much more. Also I minmaxed my dudes (3 of whom are custom) so only 1 of them has a strength higher than 2 :shobon:

Try Ace's Wrench.

• Locked thread