Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
So the devs have given me a bunch of B-Roll footage of X-rebirth and asked me to make a short video. Time to break out the editing tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
For those of you jonesing for realistic physics, I recommend playing Kerbal. Download a popular weapons mod, then spend the next nine or ten hours adjusting your orbit and desperately trying to get a clear shot at a huge immobile target, then repeatedly smash your head against your keyboard until truly realistic space combat no longer sounds like such an awesome idea.

illectro posted:

So the devs have given me a bunch of B-Roll footage of X-rebirth and asked me to make a short video. Time to break out the editing tools.

You lucky bastard, I hate you.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

Elite. You spent a week boosting at 20g's to intercept a ship and then combat consisted of zooming passes at each other while you painted lasers on each other's hulls.

Frontier, and you could get around it by loading up an imperial courier with shield generators and ramming things. The correct way was to match relative velocities and use boosters to maneuver. The orbital modelling was dreamy, but there was not much actual game.

Warhead was another one. Very simple Amiga game that had vector graphics and a branching storyline, also had a realistic flight model that required autopilots.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
So somehow MARS was actually causing the total lockup. No idea wtf. Maybe too many enemies? Gotta do some testing around with that.

But once I disabled it, I got through the rest of the mission no problem. Got my money, and a few seconds later, Complex cleaner just decided out of the blue to recrunch my sector for no drat reason, taking 1 away from my Ore and Silicon FACTs.

Irritating.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Slickdrac posted:

So somehow MARS was actually causing the total lockup. No idea wtf. Maybe too many enemies? Gotta do some testing around with that.

But once I disabled it, I got through the rest of the mission no problem. Got my money, and a few seconds later, Complex cleaner just decided out of the blue to recrunch my sector for no drat reason, taking 1 away from my Ore and Silicon FACTs.

Irritating.

MARS has a log writing capability. Open up the MARS config menu in game and turn on debug mode at the bottom of the menu. It should write to a specific file in your X3 folder.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Yep, I was able to load one of the previous saves, jump out, and turn on the log file. Jumped back, got locked up after about 5 minutes.

Goblin: YJX XM1OB-07: Drone CTRL started. Target: Xenon J, Mothership: M6 Skiron, OpRange: 17456
Drone CTRL: Attack order. Dist to target: 5364, Min range: null, Max range: null
Drone CTRL: Attack order. Dist to target: 4827, Min range: null, Max range: null
Drone YDRMM-42 targeted - fleeing. Targets Target: Goblin: YKX XM2XS-24, T.MT: 7, null, null
Drone CTRL: Attack order. Dist to target: 5207, Min range: null, Max range: null
Drone CTRL: Attack order. Dist to target: 4189, Min range: null, Max range: null
Drone YDRMM-42 targeted - fleeing. Targets Target: Goblin: RKX XM2XS-24, T.MT: 7, null, null
Drone CTRL: Attack order. Dist to target: 4790, Min range: null, Max range: null
Drone CTRL: Attack order. Dist to target: 3504, Min range: null, Max range: null
Drone YDRMM-42 targeted - fleeing. Targets Target: Goblin: RKX XM2XS-24, T.MT: 7, null, null
Drone CTRL: Attack order. Dist to target: 4191, Min range: null, Max range: null
Drone CTRL: Attack order. Dist to target: 2956, Min range: null, Max range: null
^This line repeats 16,000 times for some reason.

Edit: Ejecting all Fighter drones so no Goblins could be made worked perfectly.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 27, 2013

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Is X 3 enjoyable with just mouse/keyboard or should I look into joysticks?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

Is X 3 enjoyable with just mouse/keyboard or should I look into joysticks?

It's very mouse/keyboard friendly. It comes down to personal preference in this case, not necessity.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Alright, thanks!

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Definitely personal preference. You could play the game almost entirely with just mouse, just keyboard, or just a gamepad.

I prefer using a 360 controller for combat, but I use the keyboard for everything else. I barely ever use the mouse. The controls are 100% manipulable. So you can set everything up however you want.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Nektu posted:

Again: I-War did it right. You could enable autopilot-support which would fire the thrusters automatically to achieve that effect. You could also disable that and do it all manually. Only game I know where you could fly in a corkscrew path :allears:

The Babylon 5 fan made game 'I've Found Her' did a great job at providing a full newtonian flight model, but then if you remember starfuries had maneuvering thrusters all over them. (http://ifhgame.ru/)

But back in 16 bit days there was a game called Warhead that also did a great job of combat with newtonian physics, it also adjusted its weapons to account for the mechanics, no laser beams that are impossible to dodge, the main weapons are missiles and mines, which you can shoot down with your railgun, but the railgun doesn't do enough damage to anything else to make it useful outside of defensive roles. I believe the developer Glyn Williams went on to make I-war.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Trustworthy posted:

For those of you jonesing for realistic physics, I recommend playing Kerbal. Download a popular weapons mod, then spend the next nine or ten hours adjusting your orbit and desperately trying to get a clear shot at a huge immobile target, then repeatedly smash your head against your keyboard until truly realistic space combat no longer sounds like such an awesome idea.

You lucky bastard, I hate you.

I'm not even sure where all this talk of 'realistic flight models' came from. All anyone ever said was to have a not-poo poo flight model (or any flight model, to be honest). If I wanted to play a space FPS I'd play a space FPS.

These arguments are loving retarded. You're basically saying, "Oh you want to play a jet game? Well then gently caress you, you either have to play DCS: A-10C Warthog or you're not playing at all!". It's almost like I want to play Ace Combat or something as opposed to playing "Call of Duty: Jet(pack) Warfare".

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

These arguments are loving retarded.

Well, given the flight model seems to be (as far as I can tell) the same as the one used in X3, perhaps you could go into more detail as to why it looks terrible to you?

So far all we've had from you is a single line of text complaining about the flight model and then you abusing everyone for not understanding your Vision.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

illectro posted:

Well, you've had 24 hours already.

(Just kidding, I'm trying to be patient, but it isn't my strong suit).

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I don't get what's so horrible about 'point in direction you want to go and set the rate you want to travel at' since that's pretty much how it works everywhere with, uh, everything (Seriously, Newtonian, non-Newtonian that's all it is plus some amount of compensation for overcoming inertia, gravity and/or time dilation).

I mean, 'not poo poo' or 'any at all' seem like pretty extreme points of view that the person holding them should be able to articulate a little clearer than, "RAGE! ARGGGH!"

Adding gravity would be silly as mostly you're playing in deep space, would you like the ships to slowly drift toward the planetary body off in the distance? Time dilation would also be silly because you aren't travelling fast enough to experience it. So, that leave inertia as your gripe? Well, there is some inertia, you do have to decelerate to stop, in X3 but no it's not a core feature and it would really only make the game more tedious than it needs to be to have to compute resulting vectors when you want to make a turn.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

At least graphics wise, in X3 you look pretty close to planets and other orbital bodies, definitely close enough to be well within their gravitational sphere of influence.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Unimpressed posted:

At least graphics wise, in X3 you look pretty close to planets and other orbital bodies, definitely close enough to be well within their gravitational sphere of influence.

I've tried to crash into them before you look so close that yeah you really should be in their gravity well.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah that looked rough as poo poo, like the devs turned on noclip in Quake

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Unimpressed posted:

look pretty close to planets and other orbital bodies

pixaal posted:

you really should be in their gravity well.

true but the whole sector is probably orbiting fast enough to cancel gravity or maybe they are in a Lagrangian point or maybe it's just a videogame. I'm not sure but maybe the amount speed like going counter-orbit inside the sector is still not enough for the gravity to be significative.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

program666 posted:

true but the whole sector is probably orbiting fast enough to cancel gravity or maybe they are in a Lagrangian point or maybe it's just a videogame. I'm not sure but maybe the amount speed like going counter-orbit inside the sector is still not enough for the gravity to be significative.

I'm going to go with option 3 :)

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I think option 4 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jHsq36_NTU

Or, as we are talking about basically artificial wormholes, what's not to say they create a flat gravity field a radius around the gates? resulting in the odd "flying characteristics" of craft used in such a phenomena.
(Its option 3).

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Ok that's a nice way to picture the solar system going around the galaxy in a spiral but what difference does it m-

quote:

because life spirals

I don't do drugs.

edit: And just in case there is anyone curious if there is any truth to that I found a article debunking it http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/03/04/vortex_motion_viral_video_showing_sun_s_motion_through_galaxy_is_wrong.html

edit2: also one of the top comments on the video is a response to a downvoted comment by the creator of the video himself and it's hilarious.

program666 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 28, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, got to the part where the broccoli, solar system and toilet flush are all *life spirals* and welp I'm out.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
The more I see of the Albion pride ship, the more it looks like it's a supership that has no drawbacks at all. It's got the armor of an M6, the agility of an M5, the strafe drive of a spacesuit, and the weapons from a capship. :/

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
The game is balanced around that ship unlike TC which when given a similar ship (springblossom) made it even less of a challenge than the hyperion.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr. Crow posted:

These arguments are loving retarded. You're basically saying, "Oh you want to play a jet game? Well then gently caress you, you either have to play DCS: A-10C Warthog or you're not playing at all!". It's almost like I want to play Ace Combat or something as opposed to playing "Call of Duty: Jet(pack) Warfare".

You need a hug or something?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I just noticed that IR has an Economy Booster option. Can always use more stations for my traders. I'm sure it won't go too crazy.

:stare:
Mars really likes stations, I guess?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

if you install it and the game still runs above 10 fps without stutter tell me what is your graphic cards and processor number of cores and speed per core please.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I got an i7-2700K which has 8 cores, 16 Gig RAM, and dual GTX 560 Ti's, altogether cost about 1k. I've not gotten any lag even with about 50 ships fighting in system, including an M1 and M2, 4 or 5 M7s, and 6 M6s

Edit: I also run the game spread out across three monitors in 3000x1000 ish resolution.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 29, 2013

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Thanks, I still have to test my rig, but I remember that even with a GTX 460, that is usually pretty ok, and only a few mods, the bigger being ADS, I got a lot of stutter after opening the war sectors and I was wondering if it was because of processor number of cores or speed per core since.
I asked because it's good to have a idea of what kind of hardware runs these kind of pushing mods well.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I can't decide if the economy option is the best or worst thing.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
What is your FPS when looking at it?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Slickdrac posted:

My God. That's a navigation nightmare.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Slickdrac posted:

Do ships just crash into stations all the time while you're in sector?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

What is your FPS when looking at it?

Maybe drops 4 or 5 FPS. Is there any hotkey for that?

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Do ships just crash into stations all the time while you're in sector?

I haven't noticed that, but I have to bulldoze my way to get to the station I'm going to.

I did get MARS to crash again. Totally different sector. Check logs and wouldn't you know it:
"Drone YDRMM-42 targeted - fleeing. Targets Target: Goblin: RKX XM2XS-24, T.MT: 7, null, null"

Letter and number a carbon copy of the last one. That is the only drone that does that. I don't understand why and the script thread has been useless for it.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Egosoft are doing an AMA about Rebirth on Reddit right now: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1leye5/we_are_space_sim_developer_egosoft_soon_releasing/

Some of the answers are pretty worrying to be honest...

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Egosoft are doing an AMA about Rebirth on Reddit right now: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1leye5/we_are_space_sim_developer_egosoft_soon_releasing/

Some of the answers are pretty worrying to be honest...

What's worrying you in particular?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

LP97S posted:

What's worrying you in particular?

Dumbed down station building, less race variety, only one gamestart, no TrackIR support, no player jumpdrive, much smaller universe, and in general a lot of features not being included in the release build, making it sound more like an alpha release at this point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Dumbed down station building, less race variety, only one gamestart, no TrackIR support, no player jumpdrive, much smaller universe, and in general a lot of features not being included in the release build, making it sound more like an alpha release at this point.

:( :( :(

Probably better then getting a X3 Reunion where the game wasn't even playable at launch. But still, X Rebirth is suppose to be an improvement not a step backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Is there any way to make the sector map not show civilian ships? It's annoying having to scroll past them to see gates.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 2, 2013

• Locked thread