Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Scipio Africanus posted:

My Nexus 4 has been perpetually crashing since I did the Google Search and Keyboard updates that came out a few days ago. Fine for about half a day, then everything crashes, including System UI and the crash handler. I first noticed it when I overslept because the Clock app crashed overnight. A reboot fixes it for about twelve hours, I think I'll tough it out until 4.4 is officially released and do a full wipe then.

If you're going to do a full wipe than just fastboot flash the 4.4 N4 image. It's official and out.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Nexus 5 ordered from Google Play store, is it shipped with "signature required", and is there any way to waive signature/pre sign for it?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do you guys get the feeling that the phone hardware specs wars is getting less and less important in the last 1-2 years?

I recently upgrade my Note 1 to a LG Optimus G Pro. The OP Pro's spec is what I would call somewhere between Note 2 and Note 3. Two of my coworkers got the Note 3. I would have gotten the Note 3 but I just didn't want to use the same brand for 4 straight years.

Before the OG Pro, I tried the Sony Xperia Z for a couple weeks (another phone with the SD600 soc, same as the OG Pro) The smaller screen gave a very difference user experience. However, IMO the Note 2, Note 3 and the OG Pro give me almost the same user experience.

I have my own third party customized launcher, my own themed notification toggles and gesture controls setup. Once I restore there setup back to a new phone. I can pretty much make any quadcore phone behave the same. If I am not watching a video, I can't tell the resolution difference between the Note 1 and the Note 3 to be honest with you.

All the new smartphones rumors talk about curve screen, fingerprint sensor and other crap. They don't even talk about faster chip anymore.

The only reason to get the Samsung over the LG is much better community rom support. Next year when I am ready to upgrade the LG, I probably will go even cheaper. All I need is a phone with sd slot and a large battery. I probably will get the successor of the Lenovo P780, which is a cheap quadcore phone with a 4000 mah removable battery.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Stock rooted N5, im noticing the thing is capturing bug reports like 4 or 5 times a day, which seems somewhat excessive?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hadlock posted:

The Nexus 5 ordered from Google Play store, is it shipped with "signature required", and is there any way to waive signature/pre sign for it?

Mine was left on my doorstep, no signature required.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
Same here, left on my doorstep. If you're really worried, sometimes leaving a signed note on the door asking them to leave it works.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shannow posted:

Stock rooted N5, im noticing the thing is capturing bug reports like 4 or 5 times a day, which seems somewhat excessive?
That's because you're hitting the keys to do it, which is volume up and down plus power. This is active if you have USB debugging enabled in Developer Options. If you're rooted (and I imagine if you have Developer Options and USB debugging enabled, you are), you can rename /system/bin/bugmailer.sh to disable the feature.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Running a stock n5, I've put a custom ringtone in the 'ringtones' folder but I can only get it to show up in the main ringtone selector in settings and not in hangouts for my SMS alerts etc... What gives?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Ah, that makes sense as the cheapo tpu i got to tide me over till my diztronic arrives it quite tight on the buttns.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

Running a stock n5, I've put a custom ringtone in the 'ringtones' folder but I can only get it to show up in the main ringtone selector in settings and not in hangouts for my SMS alerts etc... What gives?

It's been a while since I've done this, but I'm pretty sure there is a separate folder for "Notifications" which is the one used for SMS/hangouts/etc.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

bull3964 posted:

Well now, that certainly puts a new spin on the name Droid DNA.

Probably one I wouldn't trust.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah true. I've been looking forward to it while waiting way too long for my N5 to ship.

If you've already bought it, what do you care what a review says?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

Because the review might tell him that he made a Bad Decision and then he will feel bad. He didn't, though. The Nexus 5 owns. I'm still interested in seeing the review, too, sometimes interesting things pop up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I've never gotten a phone at release before, it's taking over a month to arrive from the day I ordered, and I'm just excited, sorry.

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

Anyone else sincerely disappointed in HTC regarding their decision to go "Apple" on their designs?

i.e. nonremovable battery, nonexpandable storage

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Streptovsky posted:

Anyone else sincerely disappointed in HTC regarding their decision to go "Apple" on their designs?

i.e. nonremovable battery, nonexpandable storage
If anything they should be commended for putting 32GB of storage in their base model One. I thought all you spergs wanted Galaxy Notes anyway.

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If anything they should be commended for putting 32GB of storage in their base model One. I thought all you spergs wanted Galaxy Notes anyway.

The problem is they've taken the choice away from the consumer.

The consumer can't replace the battery themselves. They can't modify their own storage for their own needs.

Especially the battery part. IIRC the HTC One has the hardest battery to replace in the industry

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Streptovsky posted:

The problem is they've taken the choice away from the consumer.

The consumer can't replace the battery themselves. They can't modify their own storage for their own needs.

Especially the battery part. IIRC the HTC One has the hardest battery to replace in the industry
And all you get in exchange is a better design, a lack of lovely hacks to get removable storage to kind of work, and hardware everyone agrees is the best Android has to offer. What a ripoff!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

And all you get in exchange is a better design, a lack of lovely hacks to get removable storage to kind of work, and hardware everyone agrees is the best Android has to offer. What a ripoff!

Exactly. My One beats the absolute hell out of the S3 it replaced. And I actually bought and used replacement batteries.

You should want a phone that looks and feels and works great every time you use it, instead of compromising everything for occasional flexibility.

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

LastInLine posted:

That's all personal preference. I, personally, don't like HTC's new design scheme or the new Sense UI.

Also they don't have the best hardware. The HTC One doesn't outclass the GS4 / GSN3

Granted it has a better audio driver, but that's about it.

FistEnergy posted:

Exactly. My One beats the absolute hell out of the S3 it replaced. And I actually bought and used replacement batteries.

You should want a phone that looks and feels great every time you use it, instead of compromising everything for occasional flexibility.

That's the thing though, dude. You replaced a last gen phone with a current gen phone of course it's gonna beat the 'absolute hell' out of it. Any current gen phone will beat a GS3, the GS3 is an old design.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

Seriously, who keeps a phone long enough for the battery age to matter? If you must have a replaceable battery, just get an external battery pack and keep it in your jorts pocket.

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Seriously, who keeps a phone long enough for the battery age to matter? If you must have a replaceable battery, just get an external battery pack and keep it in your jorts pocket.

jorts?

Also, most people actually. Phone batteries begin to deteriorate at around the 12-15 month range and you can't upgrade in a contract until 18-22 months in. And why should you have to get something to carry around extra when normally you'd just be able to buy a new battery and slot it in?

That's a compromise.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Seriously, who keeps a phone long enough for the battery age to matter?
Definitely not you.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I don't know what you're referring to. The materials you use and the skill with which you use them have an awful lot to do with 'hardware quality'. When you put a One next to an S4, one looks a lot better and nicer than the other. Even more so if you turn the screens on.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Streptovsky posted:

That's all personal preference. I, personally, don't like HTC's new design scheme or the new Sense UI.
If only there could be more than one manufacturer such that people who prefer different things could buy different phones. Oh wait that's actually a thing that we have.

If you want a Samsung phone then by all means you can buy a Samsung phone.

I think both company make poo poo phones and I wouldn't ever buy them but I like that they exist so that people have a choice.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Streptovsky posted:

Also they don't have the best hardware. The HTC One doesn't outclass the GS4 / GSN3

Granted it has a better audio driver, but that's about it.

That's the thing though, dude. You replaced a last gen phone with a current gen phone of course it's gonna beat the 'absolute hell' out of it. Any current gen phone will beat a GS3, the GS3 is an old design.

Right. An 'old design' that looks so much like the S4 that it is pointed out in every review under the sun.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My favorite word that's in every Samsung review is "slimy". Maybe if HTC would make some slimier phones they wouldn't be in this mess!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

My favorite word that's in every Samsung review is "slimy". Maybe if HTC would make some slimier phones they wouldn't be in this mess!
Maybe HTC should pay people to say that Samsung phones are lovely in online forums.

Hmmm. I should send them my post history resume.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
My old HTC inspire had IMO very close to htc one/iPhone level fit and finish and "hand feel". It had a replaceable batt and SD card slot. If they could've made the one like that with one door instead of 2 like inspire and that door was made of milled al like the rest of the chassis instead of plastic I'd call it a winner. When my current s3 is naked it feels so inferior and cheap compared to that phone.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Streptovsky posted:

jorts?

Also, most people actually. Phone batteries begin to deteriorate at around the 12-15 month range and you can't upgrade in a contract until 18-22 months in. And why should you have to get something to carry around extra when normally you'd just be able to buy a new battery and slot it in?

That's a compromise.

Waiting 22 months to replace a phone. How quaint. Anyone that has to wait this long doesn't know the secret to getting att or Verizon to give you a deal on an early renewal. Just call after a year and ask for it. You don't even have to lie. Just say "I'm unhappy I do not have an upgrade and would consider leaving for another carrier to get a new phone." In five minute you'll have an hour upgrade and and extra fifty bucks of your bill.

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Waiting 22 months to replace a phone. How quaint. Anyone that has to wait this long doesn't know the secret to getting att or Verizon to give you a deal on an early renewal. Just call after a year and ask for it. You don't even have to lie. Just say "I'm unhappy I do not have an upgrade and would consider leaving for another carrier to get a new phone." In five minute you'll have an hour upgrade and and extra fifty bucks of your bill.

I work for the carriers, so I get a new phone ever year and only pay $30/mo for the same contract service everyone else pays $80-$100+ for.

Most people wait until their upgrade is due though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SB35 posted:

Apparently HTC has just given up on coming up with new names for their phones altogether. Introducing the HTC Desire! Desire 601, to be specific, but seriously, they couldn't come up with something else?

Samsung Galaxy <...>
That's a really dumb criticism. If there's a name that works and makes people want to buy your phones, why change it? Microsoft should rename their operating system with every release too. And Android as so old, let's call it Phonebot now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

And Android as so old, let's call it Phonebot now.

Cyanogenmod hasn't changed their name in 10.2, almost 11 releases now! Where's the innovation? They just make copies of operating systems, you'd think they would have more money in their budget to come up with a completely new brand name every six months.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HTC, Samsung, LG; all scrubs.

The new action is with Motorola and the X and you all know it!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

bull3964 posted:

Precede the X with "Droid Max" and you've got a deal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Precede the X with "Droid Max" and you've got a deal.

I was trying to be equal opportunity to all carriers (but I agree).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I wouldn't get one over the Nexus due to my sperg, but it's very easy to recommend, and it's the perfect size. It's incredibly impressive that Motorola is getting the 4.4 update pushed out less than a month after the corresponding Nexus arrived. I'm guessing Motorola holds a little more clout with Verizon than Google does.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Verizon is starting to frighten me.

1) First carrier to push 4.3 to the SGS4 (admittedly, that was likely to sell a $300 accessory.)
2) CFO publicly admitting to the world that their network wasn't up to snuff in major cities
3) 4.4 turnaround on Moto X
4) On a personal note, Verizon actually called me today wanting to discuss some comments I made about pricing on a recent survey (missed the call so I'm not 100% sure how receptive/combative they would be on the comments.)

It's almost as if they are making a shambling move towards not actively hating their customers.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

bull3964 posted:

1) First carrier to push 4.3 to the SGS4 (admittedly, that was likely to sell a $300 accessory.)
2) CFO publicly admitting to the world that their network wasn't up to snuff in major cities
4) On a personal note, Verizon actually called me today wanting to discuss some comments I made about pricing on a recent survey (missed the call so I'm not 100% sure how receptive/combative they would be on the comments.)

It's almost as if they are making a shambling move towards not actively hating their customers.

Regarding number 4, I just did one of those (they emailed it to me) so I ranted about how awful my (and everyone in my neighborhood's) signal is, and how awful their data plan policies are. I hope I get a call!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

bull3964 posted:

They're just testing to see what brings their customers joy so they can better snuff it out.

• Locked thread