Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Help Im Alive posted:

Apparently Yooka-Laylee is a lot better after the patches they did but I won't know until it's on sale for like £5

they probably fixed the controls but patches can't fix the levels being barren and empty and the game being devoid of personality or fun

they could have maybe removed the quiz games between every section of the hub world though, that would be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I have so many consoles and my tv only has three hdmi ports so I can't have them all plugged in at once, whats the cheapest way to remedy this? I don't need a big giant $400 tv receiver or whatever

assuming you don't use FOUR KAY you can get a cheap hdmi switcher. there's lots on the market. doing higher resolutions isn't always supported by their hardware, but for regular consoles up to 1080p it'll be fine. If you need 4k or 3d or whatever then just make sure you get one that supports it. Expect to pay maybe 20 bucks for one

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I have so many consoles and my tv only has three hdmi ports so I can't have them all plugged in at once, whats the cheapest way to remedy this? I don't need a big giant $400 tv receiver or whatever

The cheapest way is to name all your consoles and I'll tell you which ones to box up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Colonel posted:

they probably fixed the controls but patches can't fix the levels being barren and empty and the game being devoid of personality or fun

they could have maybe removed the quiz games between every section of the hub world though, that would be cool

Yeah the main problem with Yooka-Laylee is that its just a hollow shell of Rare's past. The writing is mediocre and relies way too hard on being meta for humor. The game itself has little personality, relying almost entirely on your nostalgia for Banjo Kazooie. With he game devoid of charm it has to fall back on its gameplay which is nothing special either. Rare went all in on designing a classic collectathon but it turns out in the year 2017 that's not very good. They needed to do more to revitalize the genre to make it work.

Just play Odyssey or Hat in Time instead.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I missed the vast majority of the N64 platformer era so I have no context. How does A Hat in Time differ from Odyssey in terms of design? Or is it two takes on the same thing really?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah the main problem with Yooka-Laylee is that its just a hollow shell of Rare's past. The writing is mediocre and relies way too hard on being meta for humor. The game itself has little personality, relying almost entirely on your nostalgia for Banjo Kazooie. With he game devoid of charm it has to fall back on its gameplay which is nothing special either.
Honestly that sounds like what I found offputting about the humor in Nuts & Bolts too, particularly in the beginning.

Holy gently caress Nuts & Bolts is turning 10 years old next year.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

on another note entirely I want Giant Enemy Crab Syndrome added to the DSM-V

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ciaphas posted:

I missed the vast majority of the N64 platformer era so I have no context. How does A Hat in Time differ from Odyssey in terms of design? Or is it two takes on the same thing really?

a hat in time is more like mario galaxy, big linear setpiece platforming with really tight controls as opposed to big open world adventures. a couple of the worlds in a hat in time try to be more open but it's nothing that offers the same freedom as odyssey and they're kind of the weak point of the game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Colonel posted:

a hat in time is more like mario galaxy, big linear setpiece platforming with really tight controls as opposed to big open world adventures. a couple of the worlds in a hat in time try to be more open but it's nothing that offers the same freedom as odyssey and they're kind of the weak point of the game

That actually sounds more like my jam than Odyssey would have, sight unseen. I've said before I'm much more a theme park guy than a sandbox guy and Odyssey owned all the loving bones despite that, obviously

Another game to add to the list after I'm done with XBC2!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mega Man 11 announced for next year plus all the X games on current everything.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finally you can play mega man x7 in glorious hd

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't want to read all those FFXII posts, but should I get Zodiac Age? I remember enjoying X. I started XV but fell off and would probably need to start that over from the beginning.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't want to read all those FFXII posts, but should I get Zodiac Age? I remember enjoying X. I started XV but fell off and would probably need to start that over from the beginning.

ffxii sounds alright if you want a game that's more about building a party and gearing and pre-programming them for battles in a big faux-mmo world rather than a more standard turn-based jrpg

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it has all the character development of a mmo too, and the areas you can accidentally walk into and get turbofucked as well, but none of the benefits of respawning so i hope you saved!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

12 is one of the least favourite FF games but plenty of other people seem to like it so.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Most MMOs have better combat

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Anything I kind of like about XII I think is better in XV.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also, I guess I did start playing XII when it came out on the PS2 but I hated that kid. The thing that interested me most about it was that it was in the same setting as Final Fantasy Tactics, right

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
today on 12/4/2017 capcom announced a new mega man game that isn't a rerelease or a retro throwback

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also, I guess I did start playing XII when it came out on the PS2 but I hated that kid. The thing that interested me most about it was that it was in the same setting as Final Fantasy Tactics, right

well if you liked the setting, it has a lot of setting, and not much else. it's magnum opus matsuno, so there's hundreds of thousands of words' worth of datalog poo poo, and a mere fraction of that of anything to do with your party

i hate datalog poo poo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is this that xenoblade 2 game https://twitter.com/triplegcecil/status/937370723659735040

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mm11 looks really bad

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Do her powers involve controlling gravity?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I guess classic Mega Man is pretty cheap to make, but man I want a new X or Zero game.

Edit: Oh I guess it's not totally retro like 9 and 10. Still, I'm not the hugest fan of classic.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 4, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think it looks ok but I've only played like three mega mans (mega men)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aSC5A726f0

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I'm all for X collection though. BURN TO THE GROUND BURN TO THE GROUND

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope that trailer is a good indication of what the soundtrack's gonna be like.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It looks like mighty number 9

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

corn in the bible posted:

I'm all for X collection though. BURN TO THE GROUND BURN TO THE GROUND

lol goddamn you, I had that blocked out.

I'm pretty happy. We get MM11, and the MMX collection/ and the Legacy collection, so every MM game, and bonus that it's all on the Switch as well.

edit: Megaman sounds like a dude in that video, he doesn't have the girl voice like mm8 or mmx4.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I can't play the video right now, how's the voice acting? Better than 8?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How are you defining better?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

when he says HAH HYAH HAA it's very convincing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/937771413552926727

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Oh man, I love that they put all the doofy Megamen with literal guns in that picture.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

assuming you don't use FOUR KAY you can get a cheap hdmi switcher. there's lots on the market. doing higher resolutions isn't always supported by their hardware, but for regular consoles up to 1080p it'll be fine. If you need 4k or 3d or whatever then just make sure you get one that supports it. Expect to pay maybe 20 bucks for one

Absolutely make sure your splitter is ac powered.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

I didn't know that Megaman belonged to E-D-F!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i am receiving independent reports that this indeed is apparently much lauded switch gotm xenoblade 2

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

i am receiving independent reports that this indeed is apparently much lauded switch gotm xenoblade 2

My back hurts by proxy.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/921273770937016322

• Locked thread