Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Oh wow, standstill is the most blue card ever printed. That's just plain evil and I thought force of will was a bastard. Woof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I remember getting wrecked in one of my first FNM tournaments by Fatespinner

Fatespinner posted:

At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player chooses draw step, main phase, or combat phase. The player skips each instance of the chosen step or phase this turn.

Because I didn't know

rules posted:

If more than one Fatespinner affects you at the start of your upkeep, you can choose the same step or phase for each one.

So this 40 year old man sat there and laughed while 16 year old me ended up losing his entire turn.

Fucker.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
For a long time, I thought Fatespinner worked the broken way, and everyone I knew did too. Wasn't until I tried running a deck with more than one of them in MTGO that I found out the truth.

Here're some more MTG eye-catchers, this time from the red instants.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh wow, standstill is the most blue card ever printed. That's just plain evil and I thought force of will was a bastard. Woof.

Force of Will isn't even a very good card. It's actually a pretty bad card—it's just a necessary evil. And I say that as someone who plays one of the decks responsible for FoW being a staple of Legacy.

If we're talking quintessential busted-rear end blue cards, it doesn't get better than Brainstorm, imo. I'd almost rather play this over Ancestral Recall if I could.

It helps you dig, it lets you put back (to shuffle away) bad cards, and hides your wincons. The card is absolutely insane and nothing I have done in the game of Magic has felt as powerful as some of the things I have done with Brainstorm.

About a month ago I was playing Legacy at an SCG Team Open and was in the Ad Nauseam Tendrils mirror. I play Lion's Eye Diamond, pass. On his turn, he Thoughtseizes me. I respond with Brainstorm, putting Ad Nauseam and Brainstorm on top of my library, leaving rituals and an Infernal Tutor in hand as bait (which he takes). After he passes, I cast a Dark Ritual, he responds with Surgical Extraction on Infernal Tutor, I respond with Brainstorm, holding priority and cracking Lion's Eye Diamond. Brainstorm resolves, I draw the Ad Nauseam, cast it off LED mana, and win the game.

The guy had a Thoughtseize and Surgical Extraction, a very solid anti-combo hand, and I still killed him on turn 2 just off of the power of Brainstorm. The card is legit.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Anson Maddocks is another one of my favorite early Magic artists. He had some of the best gruesome card art.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Phthisis posted:

About a month ago I was playing Legacy at an SCG Team Open and was in the Ad Nauseam Tendrils mirror. I play Lion's Eye Diamond, pass. On his turn, he Thoughtseizes me. I respond with Brainstorm, putting Ad Nauseam and Brainstorm on top of my library, leaving rituals and an Infernal Tutor in hand as bait (which he takes). After he passes, I cast a Dark Ritual, he responds with Surgical Extraction on Infernal Tutor, I respond with Brainstorm, holding priority and cracking Lion's Eye Diamond. Brainstorm resolves, I draw the Ad Nauseam, cast it off LED mana, and win the game.

The guy had a Thoughtseize and Surgical Extraction, a very solid anti-combo hand, and I still killed him on turn 2 just off of the power of Brainstorm. The card is legit.

I don't understand how Ad Nauseam won you the game.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Phthisis posted:

Force of Will isn't even a very good card. It's actually a pretty bad card—it's just a necessary evil. And I say that as someone who plays one of the decks responsible for FoW being a staple of Legacy.

If we're talking quintessential busted-rear end blue cards, it doesn't get better than Brainstorm, imo. I'd almost rather play this over Ancestral Recall if I could.

It helps you dig, it lets you put back (to shuffle away) bad cards, and hides your wincons. The card is absolutely insane and nothing I have done in the game of Magic has felt as powerful as some of the things I have done with Brainstorm.

Oh wow, deck manipulation stuff that kept coming out for blue...hoo boy. Brainstorm and Portent were two of my favorite cards back in the day. Of course I ran Rhystic Study in every single deck I had that contained any blue at all.

As for Force of Will yeah it's kind of lovely but it's amazing for that pocket counter. It's hilarious if you're all tapped out and your opponent is like "I can do what I want now!" then you're like "no you aren't this deck is blue." Blue is the color of losing friends. Everybody says black is the evil color but...gently caress, have you seen some of the crazy poo poo blue gets?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Me either. I was following right up until that point, then I had to reread it real quick to make sure I hadn’t missed a part where they set up something or another to redirect the damage from Ad Nauseam to the opponent, somehow.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The card Ad Nauseam doesn't win you the game, but it does let you draw a very large portion of your deck (which is full of low-cost cards), and you then cast them all to build up a large enough one of these to win you the game-

Storm is a cool mechanic on paper that it turns out is impossible to balance outside of defensive cards. I like the concept of comboing or "chaining" spells together to make a more effective version of one but the decks themselves are often degenerate and lead to uninteractive games of Magic, since the goal of any Storm combo deck is just "cast a bunch of cheap spells and ritual effects, and oh whoops I just won". Several otherwise-unassuming cards are banned in the older competitive formats of Magic just because they make it too easy for Storm decks to "go off".

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Oh man, a Craw Giant and as many of these and Giant's Growth you could slam on top of it was the poo poo back in the day.

Same with Ball Lightning, if I needed to fire one faster.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

C-Euro posted:

The card Ad Nauseam doesn't win you the game, but it does let you draw a very large portion of your deck (which is full of low-cost cards), and you then cast them all to build up a large enough one of these to win you the game-

Storm is a cool mechanic on paper that it turns out is impossible to balance outside of defensive cards. I like the concept of comboing or "chaining" spells together to make a more effective version of one but the decks themselves are often degenerate and lead to uninteractive games of Magic, since the goal of any Storm combo deck is just "cast a bunch of cheap spells and ritual effects, and oh whoops I just won". Several otherwise-unassuming cards are banned in the older competitive formats of Magic just because they make it too easy for Storm decks to "go off".

That was my first thought but they specify it was a turn 2 kill. I guess you could say you won the game on turn 2 and the rest of the turns were just a formality but that's a weird way to say it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There weren't any more turns. He drew a bunch of cards with Ad Nauseam, cast several of them, and that was the end of the game.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, sorry I didn't explain everything. C-Euro is correct. I don't remember the specifics of what I drew off of the Ad Nauseam, but it was definitely some combination of Lotus Petal, Lion's Eye Diamond, Dark Ritual, Cabal Ritual, and a Tendrils of Agony for the kill.

If anyone is curious, here's a decklist that's very close to the one I was running. In that matchup, Empty the Warrens is sideboarded out, and I did let his Surgical Extraction remove my Infernal Tutors, so the average CMC of the deck is very, very low, and Ad Nauseam can easily draw 20+ cards.

Also I contend that there is no such thing as a balanced Storm card, not even defensive ones. They're either unplayably bad (Astral Steel) or just busted. Flusterstorm is a weird card. I don't think it's particularly busted, but I think it should not exist. It's just that since the other storm cards do exist, Flusterstorm needs to as well.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The worst part of flusterstorm is when you use it to counter another storm spell.

On mtgo.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Jabor posted:

The worst part of flusterstorm is when you use it to counter another storm spell.

On mtgo.

Storm on MTGO is a big enough pain in the rear end in the first place.

On the flipside, a week ago I had a weird situation come up where we had stack interaction on top of an Empty the Warrens+copies and then a Flusterstorm was cast on top of that, while I had spare mana. Trying to keep track of a bunch of Empty the Warrens copies along with all of the Flusterstorm copies and what each one of them was targeting, and then choosing what to pay for was a bit of a nightmare without having any way to actually represent the copies. Probably should have grabbed some mountains and islands from the shop's draft lands or something.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Phthisis posted:

Also I contend that there is no such thing as a balanced Storm card, not even defensive ones. They're either unplayably bad (Astral Steel) or just busted. Flusterstorm is a weird card. I don't think it's particularly busted, but I think it should not exist. It's just that since the other storm cards do exist, Flusterstorm needs to as well.

Magic R&D has this concept called the Storm Scale, which is the likelihood that a given mechanic will be re-used in a future (E: Standard) set. It's called the Storm Scale because "Storm" is the rating for the end of the scale that is "we are never printing this mechanic again" :v:

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 20:49 on Aug 23, 2018

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Didn't they invent the storm scale before printing flusterstorm? Just saying, they had plenty of other mechanics that they'd sworn never to use again (banding, rampage, bands with...).

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Speaking of storm, here's my favorite card

its great becuase if it stays in play in a multiplayer game it turns the stack into a unholy engorged nightmare.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Randalor posted:

Didn't they invent the storm scale before printing flusterstorm? Just saying, they had plenty of other mechanics that they'd sworn never to use again (banding, rampage, bands with...).

The storm scale is specifically about how likely a mechanic is to show up in another standard set. Weird mechanics show up in commander sets and other supplements all the time. Phasing showed back up in Commander 2017 even

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

The storm scale is specifically about how likely a mechanic is to show up in another standard set. Weird mechanics show up in commander sets and other supplements all the time. Phasing showed back up in Commander 2017 even

Teferi's Protection owns, both as a card and also as a throwback to the story from way back in the day.

Plebian Parasite posted:

Speaking of storm, here's my favorite card

its great becuase if it stays in play in a multiplayer game it turns the stack into a unholy engorged nightmare.

Before I rebuilt my Grand Arbiter EDH deck to be an intentionally malicious prison EDH, it was a "see how many stupid things I can do in the game" deck, and I got a table to agree to just start a new game because I got both Eye of the Storm and Hive Mind in play and it just made the game so degenerate and unreasonable.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Phthisis posted:

Teferi's Protection owns, both as a card and also as a throwback to the story from way back in the day.

Before I rebuilt my Grand Arbiter EDH deck to be an intentionally malicious prison EDH, it was a "see how many stupid things I can do in the game" deck, and I got a table to agree to just start a new game because I got both Eye of the Storm and Hive Mind in play and it just made the game so degenerate and unreasonable.

trying to think of something that would degenerate it further but all i'm coming up with is Psychic Battle.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mirror Gallery and a whole bunch of ways to copy him?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Some more eye-catching instants, this time from the green slice.

Plus an old art/new art pair.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Darthemed posted:

Some more eye-catching instants, this time from the green slice.

The fact that the artist's name is Beard really amuses me.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Darthemed posted:

Plus an old art/new art pair.

I know this thread keeps repeating this again and again, and I know a lot of it is nostalgia talking, but the "old" art styles are so much more fun and expressive than the new stuff.

The old art explains the card so well (This will make your little guy HUGE!) against the newer version, which is so busy that it takes my eye forever to find that little dude in the big mass of trees and stuff

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thats weird since the little guy is where the perspective is converging and the yellow accenting to counter that green and brown highlights that wven more.
The little dude was the first thing I saw.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Thats weird since the little guy is where the perspective is converging and the yellow accenting to counter that green and brown highlights that wven more.

Yeah I think the other guys eyes are broken

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also he's basically controlling a tree mech right? 'Cuz that owns just as much as the giant squirrel.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rigged Death Trap posted:

My eye is naturally drawn to the foreground elements, the leg and the fist.

Then again I'm just a touch colourblind, so perhaps I'm just not really seeing this "yellow accenting" you speak of?

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

I've been waiting many a year for Uncle Istvan tribal, and I'll wait many more if I must.

PubicMice has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Sep 2, 2018

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

You know, with the surge of Death’s Shadow decks in Legacy, I wonder how this would do as a sideboard Card.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

PubicMice posted:

I've been waiting many a year for Uncle Istvan tribal, and I'll wait many more if I must.

He's a "human" now so there is support for Uncle Istvan tribal

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Crossposting from the magic thread because these lands are drat gorgeous:

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

Len posted:

That's a misprint. :colbert:

:(

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

PubicMice posted:

I seriously can't pick my favorite Drew Tucker art

it's dandan of course

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Drunk Nerds posted:

Stasis is such amazing art. Hadn't seen it in ten years, and it still challenges me to figure out an explanation for the art

And it evolves over the years. In 1999, I never would have said "oh, it's clearly a KKK guy fighting a furry, and the palette represents the social media they use to achieve nonstop standtill."

Maxwell Lord posted:

I believe the explanation was "Seriously they want me to draw 'Stasis'? WTF?"

As the story goes Fay Jones is a relative of Richard Garfield. She was already an established artist when Garfield began developing MTG in the early 1990s. I don’t know the the veracity of the reports that Garfield used the art without her permission or the reports that she rudely rebukes requests for signatures but the fact that there isn’t a single known authentic copy of Stasis signed by Jones certainly lends to them authenticity

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Crossposting from the magic thread because these lands are drat gorgeous:

There's something that bothers me about the card being labeled mountain and the art being technopolis.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

hexwren posted:

There's something that bothers me about the card being labeled mountain and the art being technopolis.

Ravnica is a world that's entirely city. Mountains are skyscrapers, Plains are cityscapes, Swamps are sewers, etc.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/abesargent-08162016-top-ten-combo-decks-of-all-time/

Ran into this article this morning. Pretty sure we mentioned some of these combos but there's other interesting ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Len posted:

Bullshit! Next you'll be saying "Ali from Cairo" isn't a creature type!