Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Crystal Tower 2 XL tries to take the Mario 64 formula to the 2D sidescroller, with a hub world and mission-based levels... my main issue with it though is that it feels like I'm playing it in slow motion. I don't know if that's intentional or a bug, but the movement is slow and floaty and it bothers me a lot. This is another game with that MS-DOS VGA aesthetic that seems to be all the rage this half of the decade.

Shrine to Anubis is a 10 minite lo-fi chunky pixel platformer inside a pyramid... this one is very "early dev career game", it doesn't have much going for it.

TowerTale is a competent Boss Rush brawler/slasher with an art style similar to something like super chibi knight. It's perfectly fine, and I went through one of the character campaigns in full so I guess I had a good time with it!! Music was pretty solid too.

Destructivator 2 keeps the MS-DOS aesthetic train rolling, and this is a fun one. It's a run and gun game but the player/enemies are tiny (think Lode Runner-sized), with nice level design that lets you kind of go in whatever direction you want to clear out the area (destroying all the enemies is the goal). Might get repetitive with over 50 levels, but I enjoyed playing through the first chapter.

Remnants is a short (30 minute) walking sim made in RPG Maker with a funky Spectrum-inspired look, where you go deeper and deeper underground observing the remnants of a lost civilization.

Arlo the Rabbit also has that 'early game dev' feel to it, but it's got pleasant music. I'd say it's a platformer for younger players.

Without Escape is a short silent hill wannabe Myst-type game.. it was pretty dorky.

Total # of Games in Bundle: 1110. Games I'm Not Interested In: 166. Games Played and Not Nulled: 126/944 (13.3%). Games Beaten: 73/126 (57.9%). Games I Downloaded to Try: 173

Since I played a batch of new games (and beat a few), I'll spend the next few days going through games I've already played to finish them off. Eatgirl and Destructivator 2 are obvious choices, as well as Ephemeral Tale and Super Skull Smash Go 2 Turbo.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

buglord posted:

Celeste is downloaded and extracted but double clicking the .exe doesnt do anything? Looks like a few people have a similar problem but no answer. Win 10 x64, no antivirus aside from the default microsoft one.
https://itch.io/t/833743/celeste-wont-run-on-windows-help-info worked for me, the .net framework in particular.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Sweevo posted:

Mini Ghost
A Metroidvania platform shooter in a retro MSX style. Again, not especially long but it passed a couple of evenings.

The developer also made the games Unepic and Ghost which are two pretty engaging metroidvania type games (not in the bundle though). Unepic has a lot of juvenile humor.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Haha for me, it was that XNA thing.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Verdugo posted:

The developer also made the games Unepic and Ghost which are two pretty engaging metroidvania type games (not in the bundle though). Unepic has a lot of juvenile humor.

I tried to play unepic but everything is so teeny tiny on the screen I couldn't be bothered despite people saying it was really good :(

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Bit Rat needs to stop talking and let me play Pipe Dream, I just want to play Pipe Dream, dude

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
This bundle has an annoying amount of games that install on linux, but don't actually run correctly.

Bit Rat is fun though, after I switched to windows.

I also played not-sim bee. It ran find on linux. And it was in a very strange category where I honestly enjoyed playing the tutorial but had absolutely no interest in playing a second level.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ilmucche posted:

I tried to play unepic but everything is so teeny tiny on the screen I couldn't be bothered despite people saying it was really good :(

i kinda bounced off of it due to the player character being a weird creep to every woman and also there was like some blatant racial stereotype dude hanging out. kind of stuck out to me enough to make me not get all that invested past the early-ish point i was at.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My god night in the woods is getting my goat

Like I just got to the harvest festival and got the spooky handyman outlining some mystical horror stuff (smartly I might add ) and someone just got kidnapped. Like I'm glad I finally have some instigating incident to shift gear

But like nothing is happening, I can see tension building, I can see that the language choices of some characters are super deliberate and hint at something greater. But far out just poo poo or get off the pot

It has been almost too charming for its own good , I like feeding the rat babies, I like the whole "Mae got older but didn't grow up" thing. it's really well reinforced in the little vignette hangout things the world is really well constructed and I like checking on everything during the day

Like if there is some kind of world altering thing I might just be kinda annoyed that it didn't end with something more banal, to reinforce the whole "incapable of maturing" flaw of Mae

I'm going to finish it, but like drat, 5 hours in is too late to have these things

It's like if Firewatch was an actual (kinda fun) Firewatch simulator for 5 hours that then morphed into its plot

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Karma Tornado posted:

Bit Rat needs to stop talking and let me play Pipe Dream, I just want to play Pipe Dream, dude

For real, I loaded this up and had fun with it. It cuts in way too often though. I get they want to tell a story but I don't think this is a game that needs a story like that. This is the kind of puzzle game where you just want to keep barreling through it but I am moving around the board and the game starts a monologue about the rats. I'm indifferent about the servers because you don't have to access them, but the interruptions while I'm solving the puzzle are very annoying. I think I could deal with the story stuff between puzzles if it would just leave me alone while I'm solving.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
sky rogue is loving good as hell, it's like a cool lost PS2 game that got unearthed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A Short Hike was good, probably took me about an hour and half to get to the top but there's also a ton of little things I didn't do. I liked how it has this fishing system a little more complex than Animal Crossing's, but like most of the side stuff in this game, you're not actually pressured at all to do it. Part of me wants to open it back up sometimes to "100%" it, but I think I'm going to let the other part of me win this time and accept that experience for what it was, and not taint it with learned completionist urges.

I also tried Night in the Woods, but only got as far as getting home and going to bed. Really great presentation and graphics, might come back to it in the right mood later. I don't need to come-of-age story rn, young depression is also not something I'm very primed for atm. What kind of game is it anyway, not quite and adventure game but still a step above visual novel?

Glittermitten Grove is up next, love the OG and whole concept so excited to finally try it out. I also think I might enjoy the surface level game itself more than intended.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Slowly learning to my genuine horror the only game that brings me joy is bad game dota 2.

RIP my friend, we see this happen all to often to victims of various competitive GaaS schemes. I really do wonder if it has something to do with addiction, or the types of habits built by these games but who knows. I do see posts like that all the time of Reddit though, people lamenting these amazing games they try out but just bounce off of. Maybe without a dragon to chase, victims of DoTA and its ilk just burn out the vibe receptors for normal games, condemning their players to a cycle they cannot break out of.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 23, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Khanstant posted:

Glittermitten Grove is up next, love the OG and whole concept so excited to finally try it out. I also think I might enjoy the surface level game itself more than intended.

I gave up and uninstalled GG after three game years passed and there was no sign of anything different happening. If you're making people put in that much work for no purpose before "the real game begins", then you can gently caress off. Less than a cent was the right price for that one.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Khanstant posted:

I also tried Night in the Woods, but only got as far as getting home and going to bed. Really great presentation and graphics, might come back to it in the right mood later. I don't need to come-of-age story rn, young depression is also not something I'm very primed for atm. What kind of game is it anyway, not quite and adventure game but still a step above visual novel?

Charmingly presented platformer visual novel isn't far off. And not in a bad way, the town is very pretty and there is a real sense of time progression and the relationships are well written. They clearly loved making the game

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Jedit posted:

I gave up and uninstalled GG after three game years passed and there was no sign of anything different happening. If you're making people put in that much work for no purpose before "the real game begins", then you can gently caress off. Less than a cent was the right price for that one.

Type in “butts” at any point while playing and you’ll be teleported to frog fractions 2 world. You can also find a portal to it by using fireworks underground but butts is easier tbh.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

that's a pretty good description to be honest. The meat of the game is the text, and that is why you're playing it, so in that sense it's more akin to a visual novel but having to actually explore the town and jump around finding and interacting with people does give it something extra (something that I really appreciate, I feel like it helps ground everything in a way that visual novels often lack)

I'm the sort of person who will seek out every NPC in a game and exhaust all dialogue so it's just... extremely my thing. If that sounds like you, you'll probably enjoy the heck out of it. If you just want to get from point A to point B, and going around talking to all the people sounds lame then you probably won't get much out of it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i fibbed, i guess. i played more games

izbot is a meat boy style platformer, should take you under 2 hours to get through, it's not too difficult.

soundodger+ is what I'd call a bullet-hell music visualizer. You don't shoot yourself, just dodge bullets, as very good music from artists like DannyB and Disasterpeace plays. That lack of offense, though, makes the game a bit boring for me, personally.

Vision: Soft Reset is an EXCELLENT Metroidvania where fast travel is time travel. You exist in a 20 minute stretch of time where the planet will explode (no this isn't Outer Wilds). Save stations place time travel nodes that you can travel back to, across (eventually) multiple timelines. While you lose the physical items you gained when you go back in time (health upgrades, etc), you keep the information you learned-- again this isn't Outer Wilds!! Actually information relates to more than just literal information you use, but also the game's ability upgrades. You find pieces of code/decryption which unlock abilities, and since that is technically information, these abilities are permanently unlocked. In addition, there are moments that happen in those 20 minutes-- listen, I promise this isn't Outer Wilds, it's a sidescrolling Metroid game-- that will require you to go back in time. For example, there are plant growths that eventually block off certain passageways. So you won't be able to just 100% the game in a single timeline (due to a story cutscene, you aren't able to, regardless).

Corinne Cross' Dead and Breakfast is somehow the SECOND RPGMaker-based innkeeper game I've played this past week from the bundle. This one has hand-drawn hi-res chibi sprites, and seems a lot more linear and limited. It also involves ghosts, so I'm sure there's gonna be some sad times!!

Total # of Games in Bundle: 1110. Games I'm Not Interested In: 166. Games Played and Not Nulled: 130/944 (13.8%). Games Beaten: 74/130 (56.9%). Games I Downloaded to Try: 169

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 23, 2020

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

The 7th Guest posted:

Vision: Soft Reset is an EXCELLENT Metroidvania where fast travel is time travel. You exist in a 20 minute stretch of time where the planet will explode (no this isn't Outer Wilds). Save stations place time travel nodes that you can travel back to, across (eventually) multiple timelines. While you lose the physical items you gained when you go back in time (health upgrades, etc), you keep the information you learned-- again this isn't Outer Wilds!! Actually information relates to more than just literal information you use, but also the game's ability upgrades. You find pieces of code/decryption which unlock abilities, and since that is technically information, these abilities are permanently unlocked. In addition, there are moments that happen in those 20 minutes-- listen, I promise this isn't Outer Wilds, it's a sidescrolling Metroid game-- that will require you to go back in time. For example, there are plant growths that eventually block off certain passageways. So you won't be able to just 100% the game in a single timeline (due to a story cutscene, you aren't able to, regardless).

Whoa, holy poo poo, this got finished? I played a demo ages back and was like "yeah, this is good, but they're never gonna actually complete it are they".

Shoulda learned my lesson from Iconoclasts and set a yearly reminder to check the site and see if they'd done anything more.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Jestery posted:

My god night in the woods is getting my goat

Like I just got to the harvest festival and got the spooky handyman outlining some mystical horror stuff (smartly I might add ) and someone just got kidnapped. Like I'm glad I finally have some instigating incident to shift gear

But like nothing is happening, I can see tension building, I can see that the language choices of some characters are super deliberate and hint at something greater. But far out just poo poo or get off the pot

It has been almost too charming for its own good , I like feeding the rat babies, I like the whole "Mae got older but didn't grow up" thing. it's really well reinforced in the little vignette hangout things the world is really well constructed and I like checking on everything during the day

Like if there is some kind of world altering thing I might just be kinda annoyed that it didn't end with something more banal, to reinforce the whole "incapable of maturing" flaw of Mae

I'm going to finish it, but like drat, 5 hours in is too late to have these things

It's like if Firewatch was an actual (kinda fun) Firewatch simulator for 5 hours that then morphed into its plot

The fact that Night In The Woods is a game where you're expected to methodically go to every location every day and interact with everything and everyone each time in order to actually understand what's going on and you can lock yourself out of.major story and character beats if you miss even once doesn't help, especially since you have to manually walk to and from everywhere every time. I get they're trying to set a mood but the mood they set becomes boredom really quickly.

Also given what we now know about Alec Holowka all the casual whimsical violence in the game comes across as super creepy. Especially the ones that have direct paralells to what he did, like portraying kidnapping someone and pulling out their teeth as some kind of powerful act of solidarity when he himself kidnapped someone and threatened them.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Sleeveless posted:

Also given what we now know about Alec Holowka all the casual whimsical violence in the game comes across as super creepy. Especially the ones that have direct paralells to what he did, like portraying kidnapping someone and pulling out their teeth as some kind of powerful act of solidarity when he himself kidnapped someone and threatened them.
I had never heard of Night in the Woods before this bundle, so I was completely unaware that one of the developers of this walking simulator with minigames committed suicide a few days after Zoe Quinn described how he abused her.
https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/1166212080753528832?s=19
https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/1166233866991849474?s=19

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Whybird posted:

Whoa, holy poo poo, this got finished? I played a demo ages back and was like "yeah, this is good, but they're never gonna actually complete it are they".

Shoulda learned my lesson from Iconoclasts and set a yearly reminder to check the site and see if they'd done anything more.

Yeah vision alone made the bundle worth getting for me. Total playtime was just under 5 hours, and was a wonderful experience. Just enough story and dialogue, great mechanics, upgrades that are familiar yet unique (double jump is an omnidirectional air dodge). Controls are a touch floaty and i think the final exploration mechanic comes way too late, but those are very minor complaints.

If you like metroidvanias at all this is one of the best I've played in a while.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ilmucche posted:

I beat Unepic. It is not good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Alec Holowka was the game’s composer and had nothing to do with the scenario writing, do not ever engage with a single post written by Sleeveless/Guy Mann/Erotic Wakes/at least two other alts that slipped my mind

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

sky rogue is loving good as hell, it's like a cool lost PS2 game that got unearthed

It's good but I find it super hard

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The lead Night in the Woods dev's response to the composer being outed as a shitbag and subsequently killing himself is here. It's very, very worth reading. Also worth noting: they cut ties with Alec and cancelled a planned physical release of the game the day after they found out.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gobbeldygook posted:

I had never heard of Night in the Woods before this bundle, so I was completely unaware that one of the developers of this walking simulator with minigames committed suicide a few days after Zoe Quinn described how he abused her.

The developers wrote an extensive blogpost about the entire thing and its loving terrible I can’t find it. Just newspost after newspost only about those tweets.

Edit: I have never been happier that I got e;f,b about something. It’s a tough read, but I think it’s mandatory reading if you are going to talk about this.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 23, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jedit posted:

NGL, the art degree in me just reads this and makes me appreciate the game's concept even more, kind of makes me wish someone was forcing me to write a critical analysis essay for it. It's also amusing because I had a similar reaction when I tried to play Persona4 recently, but it turns out the game actually very much is that first 2 hours as well.

Your Computer posted:

that's a pretty good description to be honest. The meat of the game is the text, and that is why you're playing it, so in that sense it's more akin to a visual novel but having to actually explore the town and jump around finding and interacting with people does give it something extra (something that I really appreciate, I feel like it helps ground everything in a way that visual novels often lack)

I'm the sort of person who will seek out every NPC in a game and exhaust all dialogue so it's just... extremely my thing. If that sounds like you, you'll probably enjoy the heck out of it. If you just want to get from point A to point B, and going around talking to all the people sounds lame then you probably won't get much out of it.

I definitely must at least click-through every NPC dialogue in every game, as well as check every trashcan or cabinet. A Short Hike I was so relieved when they wouldn't let me go indoors or inspect every errant object. Whether I'm reading it or not depends on so so many things. I think I'll save NitW for the right mood, I can tell it's a lovingly written game and it already has some writing or did some things that i enjoy and some i already toy with in my goblin game so I don't wanna do it or myself a disservice.

edit: Oh poo poo, wow. I knew about Zoe Quinn's harassment and the subsequent shitshow that followed online, but I actually didn't connect the dots between her abuser and this game, also didn't know he offed himself. I suppose most of what I saw from the ground level of forums and reddit where details and facts really quickly gave way to general abstract culture moral flame warring. Also, whimsical violence inspired by his own sick doings is really O.O especially since in my very short time playing, I didn't get any vibes or foreshadowing of violence of any kind, even the cop just gave me a ride home

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 23, 2020

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I think the violence thing is overstating it a bit because the specific thing they're referencing is a historical event where a mining boss who'd just cut wages had his teeth removed by striking workers. I agree that it deserves being looked at in a new light but you specifically aren't kidnapping somebody.

Acts of violence against people in the game are either a) explicit self defense by people you give a poo poo about or b) horrible acts by people you're against. And I can only remember 2 total. Acts of violence referenced in the game range a wider spectrum.

Unless you count soaking people with a fountain as aggression.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Benagain posted:

Acts of violence against people in the game are either a) explicit self defense by people you give a poo poo about or b) horrible acts by people you're against.

c.)comedy knife fight among friends because that's normal and cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Evy-iISB4

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

edit: Oh poo poo, wow. I knew about Zoe Quinn's harassment and the subsequent shitshow that followed online, but I actually didn't connect the dots between her abuser and this game, also didn't know he offed himself. I suppose most of what I saw from the ground level of forums and reddit where details and facts really quickly gave way to general abstract culture moral flame warring. Also, whimsical violence inspired by his own sick doings is really O.O especially since in my very short time playing, I didn't get any vibes or foreshadowing of violence of any kind, even the cop just gave me a ride home
It reads like you're maybe conflating gamergate with a separate more recent shitshow.

Also, as stated above, Holowka had nothing to do with the content of the game, nor is there trivial whimsical violence in there. Everything is well-considered. Read the blog post linked above if you want to know more. Sleeveless is being inflammatory and unhelpful as is their wont.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

The lead Night in the Woods dev's response to the composer being outed as a shitbag and subsequently killing himself is here. It's very, very worth reading. Also worth noting: they cut ties with Alec and cancelled a planned physical release of the game the day after they found out.

Worth highlighting if anyone didn't read: The game designers were among the people he abused. They needed his programming skills to make the game happen, and he took advantage of that. It does, however, mean it was their game, not his, if that is something that concerns you.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Sleeveless posted:

c.)comedy knife fight among friends because that's normal and cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Evy-iISB4
Either you think the point of Greg and Mae's interactions is doing normal and cool stuff, rather than two people in their 20s enabling each other as they desperately try to recapture the freedom of stupid teenage delinquency, or you're trolling. Either way your avatar is apparently well-deserved.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh Quench seems neat
https://twitter.com/winnersusedrugs/status/1275497712415158272

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Basically I'm getting that Night In The Woods is something I don't want to bother having an opinion about

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Oxxidation posted:

Alec Holowka was the game’s composer and had nothing to do with the scenario writing, do not ever engage with a single post written by Sleeveless/Guy Mann/Erotic Wakes/at least two other alts that slipped my mind

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

pumpinglemma posted:

Either you think the point of Greg and Mae's interactions is doing normal and cool stuff, rather than two people in their 20s enabling each other as they desperately try to recapture the freedom of stupid teenage delinquency, or you're trolling. Either way your avatar is apparently well-deserved.

Welp, as a dumb Brit I forgot U.S. college means different to ours, and thought they were like 17. Still quite like them both joking with each other, but still that adds a new understanding to the game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hopefully people don't mind me asking this here, but since this is pretty much the unofficial itch.io thread (and it was in the bundle) I have a question on Lenna's Inception.

Spoilers for the end of the game: I beat the final boss of the game, but instead of an ending Paige just says "I think we forgot something" and then I die, but to credits. What thing did I apparently forget?.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hopefully people don't mind me asking this here, but since this is pretty much the unofficial itch.io thread (and it was in the bundle) I have a question on Lenna's Inception.

Spoilers for the end of the game: I beat the final boss of the game, but instead of an ending Paige just says "I think we forgot something" and then I die, but to credits. What thing did I apparently forget?.
You didn't have the Power of Truth that you get from collecting all the corrupted memories from the dungeons.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hogama posted:

You didn't have the Power of Truth that you get from collecting all the corrupted memories from the dungeons.
Ah, so I must have forgotten to fight one of the bosses then. Thanks, that would have driven me nuts trying to figure that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

It's actually kind of annoying how many threads I dip into and sleeveless is there trying to poison the well, should try to pay more attention so I can disregard more consistently, but their posts also tend to derail everything anyway.