Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, that's a lot of quests and battles just to unlock like one outdated dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Glazius posted:

He gets something unique about him later, it's up to you to determine its worth. But much like Torgal he is able to earn his spot, I think he's the only one who can use it anyway

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Mraagvpeine posted:

What areas does the God Emperor rule over?

In theory, I think he's supposed to rule the entire continent. Practically speaking though, as the other lords have gained power, his influence has waned. He's still powerful and respected, of course, but less so than in the olden days.

Glazius posted:

There's actually another, better reason to do these quests than just Roberto, but it's too soon to talk about it yet. Roberto does get a cool thing in Disc 2, but so do a bunch of people, who tend to be better characters overall.

Main Plot Update coming later today. In fact, this week there will be THREE updates to finish off Disc 1. I've already got the captions and screenshots for all of them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

but it's too soon to talk about it yet.

This and the other thing are some of the most kick rear end parts of The Last Remnant and really showed the love the devs had for the game. And really that's the best way to put it. This may not be the absolute best game (even if I love it to death) but you can clearly tell that it was loved. Everything from the design to the localization showed people who gave a legitimate poo poo about making a good game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

We cannot allow her power to be abused!

Previously:

Chapter XXXV: Auf wiener schnitzel, Nagapur!

Irina’s here?!
Apparently she’s in Duke Hermeien’s custody. I suppose you can rest easy, knowing she’s out of Wagram’s hands.
Irina’s got Marion’s Blessing!

Chapter XXXVII: …He’ll reign as the new God Emperor.

Dave, something’s been bugging me. The Conqueror used Mom’s Tablet to change the Valeria Heart into a Talisman, but I thought Wagram had the Tablet!?
How can that be?
This is the doing of one man.

A man using Wagram as a pawn in his twisted game. At the same time, he manipulates the Conqueror into sparking a war, for no other reason than to demonstrate the horrors Remnants are capable of. Once a world war erupts, the people will no longer believe the Lords fit to control the Remnants! If the descendant of Marion Marshall were to appear after all that, she would easily be given control of ALL the Remnants! With Irina by his side, he’ll reign as the new God Emperor!
By “he”, you mean…
The Chairman of the Congress: Duke Wilfred Hermeien.

Music: In the Shadow of the Dragon (Nagapur Theme)

A legend? About what?
Somewhere in the world exists a weapon of extraordinary power. With it, one can defeat even the strongest of foes.
That’s the most generic, USELESS legend I’ve ever heard.

Getting into Wyrmskeep won’t be easy.
…The Aquaducts!
Pardon?
Last time I was here, this old guy told me that we can use the Aquaducts to get into Wyrmskeep. Let’s go!

Moving on, I’ve plopped Roberto in and taken Maddox out, because I may as well get Roberto some use now while he’s relevant-ish. We’ll shortly be picking up a great many new party members, so don’t expect to see him for long. I’ve also updated the third post’s roster with the latest stats and arts for our party, if that sort of thing interests you.

To arms! To arms! All men to arms!
The Conqueror is heading for Nagapur!
The Duke of Ghor defends, but cannot hold alone!
If the Conqueror is heading for Nagapur, it must mean that Hermeien’s plan is almost ready!
Rush, we must hurry!
Right!

We’re in Sudenalm now. The gate between Emmy and Oswald is now open.

Granted… To this day, I have doubts as to whether that was a positive thing…
Yeah, I guess…
Rush Sykes, you must save your sister. Marina deserves to be with her family again – with you and your sister and your father.

Rush! Miss Irina is being held in the audience chamber of Wyrmskeep! These stairs will take us down to the Aqueducts, and we can take them all the way through to the castle. Lord David is waiting. Please hurry.

He reminds me of someone… But I can’t quite put my finger on who.
Miss Irina is right up here! Come on, let’s go bust some heads!

In case you haven’t got it by now, this is kinda a big deal. This is not exactly a point-of-no-return, we can leave the Aqueducts up until a certain point. However, once we reach the end of the Aqueducts, we’ll hit a point of no-return. So be sure to have stocked up and done all the quests you want to do before you enter.

Ready-steady!
Alright. Let’s go!

Music: Everflow

The Aquaducts get their own music.

- Dungeon Video: Aqueducts

There’s actually no flyby for this dungeon, which is unusual. Additionally, I’m actually going to do a video for this dungeon. It’s pretty much the closest the game has to a puzzle dungeon.

This map is fragmented and somewhat confusing, until you get the gimmick of the level. Oh look, here it is now…

Use the Device?
Why not?

The panel is now helpfully identified as “Mobile Bridge Control Panel”. To navigate this dungeon, we’ll need to hit all of them to move them where we need them… so I guess it’s not actually a puzzle.

Another Ring of the Patient Ear, and a +20% HP Justice Wristlet.

These Barbarossa’s are blocking the way to the panel, and teasing them, running past them, being on the same continent as them, will just make them Vehment, so they have to be dispatched.

Let’s see if this does anything useful.

Hard to say. That’s the biggest problem with potions – it’s hard to know if there’s enough of a benefit.

learned Kiss of Life II!
learned Rejuvenate II!
learned Mighty Thunderclap II!
class changed to Adept Cavalier!
class changed to Adept Scout!

Moving the bridge from its utterly useless position down there to up here.

Grates block the passages down and up. I suppose we should be thankful that unlike most “sewer levels”, this is not a maze.

You do want to cross this bridge to the right to get the Lure and Trap upgrade to the Bait and Hook formation.

These Rockshell crabs can be dodged if you’re careful. Just past the bridge is the door to the next section.

East Waterway control mixes the “puzzles” up a bit.

There’s no water in this section, letting us use ladders to get to the bottom.

The way forward is to our left, but I want that chest.

learned Dragon Crush!

Oh nice. Dragon Crush is another pretty awesome 2H art. I believe it’s a low strike which immediately thrusts upward into a high strike. The chest just has Sickbed, another formation upgrade. Hey, I don’t memorize what the chests have, I just want to open them.

The bridge goes nowhere useful, so we need to move it.

Now we can take the ladder down and move on. The chest just has the map, which is not so useful since we’re over halfway done, and it’s a linear dungeon anyway.

Another bridge which needs moving.

Here’s the exit and a teleporter to the World Map. Somewhere in here is an item needed to make Jorgen into a Warrior, so if you want, you can do that. Also, stepping foot into the Aqueducts unlocks Unique Leader Gaou for recruitment. He’s a Yama magus, and has no sidequests, so he can wait until later.

Almost at the end now.

This treasure chest has some healing items and a neat new sword. It’s 2-Handed for Mitra like Rush.

This right here is the point of no return. Once you go in, you can’t get out until you’ve completed the boss fights and story.

- Boss Video: Harpylia

Oh, this is SUCH a trap.

Irina!
Rush, wait!

You okay, sis?
Rush…

You!

Even Rush can sense something wrong.

Mission: Defeat the Enemy!

Music: Struggle Eternal

So, we’re faced with five Harpylia enemies, which are of the Phantom Type we’ve never encountered before.

Come on, let’s kick some A!

You’re through!!

This union is knocked into critical on the first turn.

As is this one.

This one gets off a pretty solid hit with Blaster, though.

Nothin’ to do but fight, is there?
Obviously, something is going on.

I’m going to play a little cautious with Caedmon, just because I don’t want to end a fight with him dead and hence not getting XP, but otherwise, this fight is easy enough that there’s no need for Omnistrike.

Those guys must be pretty frickin’ weak.

This is not a boss fight, it’s a “You must be at least this strong to proceed” gate. If this fight gives you any trouble - at all - or goes longer than 5 turns, you should stop, because you’ll have big trouble with the real boss. I in fact played this a little too safe and could have ended it on turn 2 if I had ordered Blocter to attack instead of redundant healing.

Dave! Crush ‘em with Ex Machina!

Get out of my way.

Beautiful!

learned Caustic Blast II!

Seriously dude, get better at spotting obvious traps.
Hey, I stopped before I got TOO close, didn’t I?

Impressive.

Wagram!

My dear Marquis, you know as well as I that Duke Hermeien would prefer if you bid a hasty retreat. Your life will be in jeopardy if you don’t.

Duke Hermeien can’t be serious about using Marion’s Blessing!
My place is not to question these things. You have been warned, Marquis.

Lord David.
We must protect Irina at all costs. We cannot allow her power to be abused!
Yeah! Yes, my Lord!

With that we get control back, but…

The stairs on the north and south sides lead to these things and we can’t pass…

And the way we came is shut tight. No turning back now. If you try to save in this area, the game specifically warns you that if you overwrite your only save and can’t beat the boss, you could become stuck.

Sorry for keeping you waiting, Irina, but I had sidequests to do. I’m sure you understand, right?

New Arts Summary
learned Kiss of Life II!
learned:
  • Rejuvenate II!
  • Dragon Crush!
learned Mighty Thunderclap II!
class changed to Adept Cavalier!
class changed to Adept Scout!
learned Caustic Blast II!

Dungeon: Aqueducts
Boss Video: Harpylia

Flowers Count: 8
“Irina” Count: 10
“Rush” count: 5

Next Time: The Marquis of Athlum wishes to die. Fulfill his request!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 14, 2016

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Oh, on my first playthrough, the next boss gave me so much trouble (as it did a bunch of people, I gather). I had no idea how to build either unions or characters, and this is where the game says "no, you can't just brute force stuff. Learn the mechanics." Apparently it was even harder on the xbox version!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
This update wasn't all that interesting, I know, but the next two this week totally will be worth it. Strap yourselves in.

Smiling Knight posted:

Oh, on my first playthrough, the next boss gave me so much trouble (as it did a bunch of people, I gather). I had no idea how to build either unions or characters, and this is where the game says "no, you can't just brute force stuff. Learn the mechanics." Apparently it was even harder on the xbox version!

For me, it wasn't the next boss, but the one after that which was a big roadblock for me. Fortunately, it wasn't that my units and unions were crap so much as it was that I just didn't have a good tactical plan, because when doing the LP, I loaded that first playthrough save and I was able to beat that boss pretty definitively. All that had changed was that I knew how to handle the situation better.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This update wasn't all that interesting, I know, but the next two this week totally will be worth it. Strap yourselves in.

For me, it wasn't the next boss, but the one after that which was a big roadblock for me. Fortunately, it wasn't that my units and unions were crap so much as it was that I just didn't have a good tactical plan, because when doing the LP, I loaded that first playthrough save and I was able to beat that boss pretty definitively. All that had changed was that I knew how to handle the situation better.

It is very satisfying to go back to troubling sections and realize you're not a helluva lot smarter.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So what was that in the prism sphere? A blood-based illusion?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

The Marquis of Athlum wishes to die. Fulfil his request!

Being the climax of Disc 1, all videos in this update are RECOMMENDED VIEWING.

- Video: Assembling the Puzzle

Emmy is not happy with Duke Hermeien.

Music: Assembling the Puzzle

Irina!

…!

I knew you’d come, Marquis.

Duke Hermeien, you manipulated both the Conqueror and the Academy! Do you really think you can seize the Remnants unchallenged? Not by me you won’t!
You’ve missed my point. I am not after the Remnants, I am searching for someone who can control them.

It takes one with great will to operate a Remnant, but it takes a great toll. The Gae Bolg killed your father, I’m sure you’re one to understand.
Is that why you need Irina?
So long as I have the Marshall girl, the Remnants are mine to command! The only divine power that shall be connected to them is me!

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha! How wonderful will that be?! A new era will begin!

I ask you, David Nassau, how would you like to join me in ruling this new generation?

The Remnants may bring suffering, but I will live with it! Just as my father did! I will NEVER accept your offer!
Hmph.

Wagram?
Yes, my Lord?
The Marquis of Athlum wishes to die. Fulfil his request!

Music: The Gates of Hell

This music only plays in fights versus very specific bosses. We’ve heard it once versus the Firey Idol, also summoned by Wagram.

- Boss Video: The Gates of Hell

This is unusual. Not only does Rush start out ready to cast, but it is his only action – for all possible targets. We’re up against the Gates of Hell, and four groups of Hypnos.

“Academy Visistone 41-42” posted:

[The Third Committee 1] The Third Committee is an Academy organisation that conducts illegal Remnant experiments.
[The Third Committee 2] Project HN: Development of a man-made Remnant (Hypnos).

A couple more Visistones that are relevant. I guess this explains why the Third Committee uses Hypnos a lot. (Although it does NOT explain why so many Hypnos-like enemies are found in random dungeons.)

Will you give me the power…?

What? It’s not working! My Talisman isn’t working!
What?
I can sense
something, but it’s not…

Well done!

Dragon Crush in action.

Baulson dodges all three attacks, which is pretty remarkable. The boss does nothing until targeted, or until all other enemy unions are dead.

Why… why isn’t it working?
You ain’t gonna let wimps like these guys get you down, are ya?
We must succeed!
You have the skills to win this!
Concentrate, Rush!
Rush! You can do this!

It’s best to bind it. Now, come!

What in the world?

Is that a Remnant? It must be…

This is Cyclops, the true form of the Remnant which became Rush’s Talisman. Rush has learned how to Summon Cyclops to aid him in battle.

Yes, this late into the game, a new mechanic is introduced. Summons are additional allied unions who function somewhat like guest unions. They act on their own – you cannot give them orders, and I suspect that it if all your other unions fall, you’ll get a game over even if a summon is alive (they can’t revive dead unions anyway). Summons have a max of 9999 HP, but their HP is hidden from the player. They’re highly resistant to most status effects except Enthrall and can take a hefty amount of punishment. They aren’t great damage dealers on their own, but are extremely helpful for distracting the enemy, and providing extra bodies to make it easier to flank.

That’s the last of the Hypnos.

Time for the main event.

All “Hell Gate” is it spreading it’s wing-things in preparation for attacking.

The Gates of Hell has one single-target attack and one group attack. Blue Blazes is the single-target one. They hit for moderate damage, but it uses them often – it gets a free attack at the start and end of each turn.

For Catastrophe, Cyclops spins one of its claws, rears back and punches the target with it.

Hellfire is the Gates of Hell’s AoE attack. It’s a bunch of lava globs that does moderate damage. The radius doesn’t seem very big.

You scumbags!

Caedmon’s Team was just low enough on health that it finished them off.

Permafrost is a mid-high level Invocation which summons an icy crystal to freeze its foes.

On your feet!
Thank you!

It was important to bring them back right away, because if you don’t, the Gates of Hell will use a special art to bring them back… and Enthrall them. That can be quite dangerous.

Darien knocks it into critical.

The Gates of Hell can only Multi-deadlock with three unions, which means that with Cyclops, we can flank twice (well, if Cyclops itself wasn’t one of the flankers). Now’s a really good time to finish this.

Gabriel’s really turned his effectiveness around since learning Blue Streak. We reach BR 31 from this fight.

learned Cyclops!
class changed to Master Mysticknight!
learned Revitalize II!

- Video: A Duke Undone

The battle wages on as we speak. While you’re wasting time with delusions of power, your men are risking their lives fighting the Conqueror! You will call for a ceasefire, and make sure the Conqueror’s troops retreat!

Silence! I don’t have to listen to you! I will control the Remnants! Only I am fit to do so!

He actually stamps his foot there like a petulant child. Which is what he is.

Remember! I have the Marshall girl. Don’t you care what happens to her?
Irina!

Don’t worry, Rush. He won’t do anything to me. If I die, Marion’s Blessing goes with me.
Shut up!

Go ahead! You haven’t got it in you, do you?! You’re nothing but a coward!

Hermeien is arguably the most powerful politician on the continent, he’s trying to save his pathetic skin by using a 14-year old as hostage, and she is totally owning him. Love it.

Impudent wench!

BOOM

The palace shakes, distracting Hermeien.

Sir! The Duke of Ghor has fallen! It’s not safe here, we must fall back!

What?! That can’t be!! Bring me the Conqueror! I will make him listen!!
Hah hah hah hah hah hah….
What’s so funny?!!

Did you honestly think that someone like you would have the power to manipulate the Conqueror? You are as arrogant as you are foolish.

W-what are you saying?!
I would run if I were you. Unless you truly wish to die.

He’s just in full-on panic mode now, and it is glorious.

K-kill them!! Kill them all!!!!

W-what?
A-are you sure?
Huh?

The soldiers ain’t goin’ there.

Huh?

My goals have been met. You are now unnecessary. Begone!

What a tweest! What’ll happen next? Where did everyone end up? You’ll just have to wait and see!

New Arts Summary
learned Cyclops!
class changed to Master Mysticknight!
learned Revitalize II!

Assembling the Puzzle
Boss: The Gates of Hell
A Duke Undone
Bonus: The Gates of Hell 2

In the PC version, you can actually remove Rush from your active party completely. Yet in this scene, he’s scripted to learn a new skill. So I wondered what would happen if I took him out of the active party completely…

- Bonus Video: The Gates of Hell 2

It turns out that he joins the battle anyway! So this one time only, you can bring 16 units to a fight even though your cap is just 15. It’s not abusable, though. This only happens in this one case because Rush needs to learn Cyclops here. The rest of the time, the game will quite happily let you bench him.

Next Time: This… is the power of Marion’s Blessing?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Did the Conqueror play the marquis like a fiddle here, courtesy of Wagram? Because I'm getting the impression that Wagram and the Conqueror are allied, mostly because it seems too late to introduce a new faction.

Love Irina here. Weeks/months of imprisonment and she's still as defiant as day one, perhaps even more so.

Lastly, Rush was running around with an unbound remnant all this time? Isn't that dangerous, how come he didn't notice before and we should probably thank golem for waking up and telling the ditz to use him properly.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

That's so weird! For me, the Gates of Hell were completely brutal--I kept losing unions to the AOE and getting them revived (maybe I was out of herbs?), but the next boss gave me no trouble whatsoever.

Final cutscene is a lot of fun. Hermeien throws such a temper tantrum. It's so cathartic.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
oh gently caress yes an lp oh this

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

So what was that in the prism sphere? A blood-based illusion?

Just a regular illusion, I think.

Omobono posted:

Did the Conqueror play the marquis like a fiddle here, courtesy of Wagram? Because I'm getting the impression that Wagram and the Conqueror are allied, mostly because it seems too late to introduce a new faction.

It sure seems like the Conqueror, given the timing. That seems like a safe bet.

quote:

Lastly, Rush was running around with an unbound remnant all this time? Isn't that dangerous, how come he didn't notice before and we should probably thank golem for waking up and telling the ditz to use him properly.

Well, Marina Sykes made the talisman, and she seems to know what she's doing, so it's safe to say that she wasn't reckless when she gave it to Irina.

I didn't really make it clear, probably because I am being too cautious about spoilers - because there is still a bit more to come on this topic, but Rush's father said that when the Talisman is used on a Remnant, it's put "into a deep slumber". In Talisman form, a Remnant is safer. It won't cause a collapse. It does not need to be bound to be used... (but I suspect that if you do formally bind it, you can call it as a summon.). I suspect that it also won't drain your life if used in Talisman state.

You might think that there's no downside to that, but think about that. Remnants are really powerful, in a way like fantasy nukes.One way the use of Remnants remains rare is likely because the more you use them, the shorter your life becomes. It would perhaps not be a good thing if the Lords could freely use Remnants as much as they liked to nuke the crap out of their enemies without worrying about the toll it was taking on their own lives.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So did we finally get Irina back or is Wagram gonna summon yet another dude and kidnap her while we're preoccupied?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

So did we finally get Irina back or is Wagram gonna summon yet another dude and kidnap her while we're preoccupied?

This isn't White Knight Chronicles.

Also, to everyone wondering why not just Talisman all Remnants, watch next chapter, because that should very well show you what a truly powerful remnant can do.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Cyclops just looks so goddamn goofy. I don't think Rush's talisman being unbound was ever actually mentioned before now, and then you have a weird jester golem out of nowhere.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Huh. That... makes a lot of sense. The way Cyclops came out of the ground made me at first think it was just somehow sleeping underneath the castle or something and Rush seized the chance to bind it, but if it's his Talisman, that's way neater.

Also nice detail on the benching Rush thing

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

This… is the power of Marion’s Blessing?

Previously:

Chapter II: We’ll be sending someone to pick you up

Chapter VIII: Quit struggling and sit there like a good victim!

How long are we going to keep her like that? Let’s just hand her over.
You pity her?
This whole deal makes me sick. She’s just a kid!
I am merely following the Lord’s orders - as you should follow mine.
Fine. Then give me some real orders. I’m sick of being a drat babysitter!

Chapter XXIII: They nearly killed me in the past -OR- A Date with Emma

You might have heard of Marion Marshall. She was the one who bound the Remnant Elysion to herself and wed the God Emperor. The power she held was extraordinary - the power to erase the bindings of the Remnants and replace them with her own.

Inside me rests that same, terrible power. For I... I possess Marion's Blessing. As does Irina.

As the grand finale to the act, all videos are either highly recommended or mandatory viewing!

- Video: Reunited

We’re still in Wyrmskeep!

Lord David, Wagram’s intent had been –
I know. He merely feigned loyalty to Duke Hermeien. We have no time to worry about that now. Our first priority is to get Irina to safety! Rush!

I’m okay…
Hmph!

Ow!

Emmy slaps Rush firmly on the back.

It’s yours.

Mom says it’ll watch over you. Mom and Dad are waiting for us. Let’s go home!
Okay!

We get control again in Wyrmskeep’s Cherry Pavillion. There’s nothing really to see here. There’s a chest containing a map, and a chest containing some healing items. No enemies, and only one door out.

- Video: Jager’s Interference

What, did you think we were DONE with boss fights?

You’ve got a pair, comin’ all the way out here to save your sister. Too bad there’s no way out.

That’s what you think!

Heh.

- BOSS Video: Jager and Lob Omen

Music: Out of Control

Mission: Defeat Jager and the Lob Omen

“Academy Visistone 43” posted:

[The Third Committee 3] Project LO: Usage of a flying Remnant for the military (Lob Omen).

We’re up against Jager, and his flying Remnant, the Lob Omen. The first thing to do though is get rid of all the additional trash mobs. Irina, while with the group, is not fighting. Being a prisoner, Irina probably didn’t have a weapon.

Comin’ atcha!
The first thing Jager always does is lower your morale quite a lot. Again, it doesn’t matter too much because it started out low for us anyway.

Get ready. I’m about to own you!

So close.

I won’t let bullies like you get in my way!
Nice… this one looks loaded!

That’s going to hurt. Rush also takes out his union, leaving only Jager and the Lob Omen.

Palsy Skein is a high-level Evocation that causes Paralysis.

Don’t be discouraged.

The whole Aqueducts-Wyrmskeep sequence really is, as some people have said, about making sure that you actually know what the hell you’re doing. If you’ve gotten to this point by brute-forcing things, well that’s not going to work. Things will get increasingly difficult in the future.

The first time I played this fight it was incredibly difficult, I died so many times – even though I was 8 BR higher than I am now! I finally was able to beat it once when Rush got the option to Summon Cyclops on the first turn. But I think it was really just a matter of me not understanding the game mechanics and using them well, because even loading my older save, I was able to beat it pretty easily. Here, good planning has David resurrecting that union even before the turn ends.

I can’t remember if this has shown up before, but Dragon’s Flight is a power grip art. It’s a leaping upward thrust.

Akelarre is one of Lob Omen’s special moves. It rises up with its arm-things slowly rotating, with a clacking sound that brings to mind a mechanism being wound up.

They stop, and spread…

And the Lob Omen slams back down.

Come on, we’ve caught ‘em with their pants down!

Acala’s Wrath is just amazing. It did 23.5k of a 31k chain. And there are some more arts even better too.

Again? Yes, please. Consider this a mini-preview of Ninja. :getin: :butt:

Jager moves the morale again.

You’d better recognize!

And that basically undid most of the healing I just did.

Make that all of it.

But Lob Omen is now in critical, which is good.

This Rear Assault was not really productive.

We can now use Cyclops in normal battles. Or rather, the option will present itself randomly (usually at the battle’s start). I probably would have been better off with another Rear Assault, though.

About time he got another upgrade!

Cyclops!

David brings Blocter’s union back.

Normally, Jager usually ends up going down before the Lob Omen, because he has less HP and resistances. So the rest of the fight should go quickly.

The Lob Omen also did not dissolve into sparkles. This means it was not killed/destroyed.

Jager’s in critical, but Caedmon and Blocter’s unions are both going to standby instead of piling on. Too bad, because Jager can’t multi-deadlock.

And that’s it. Jager isn’t dead either.

learned Mighty Double Strike IV!
learned Nimble Earthrender III!
class changed to Cleric!
learned Dragon’s Flight!

This video is Mandatory Viewing!

- Video: Flight from Nagapur

Duke Hermeien is through! You should give up, and do something else with your life!

Now, let’s go!!

Oh poo poo…

Conqueror! Duke Hermeien’s plan has failed! There is no reason to fight!

Call back your troops!

Ha. You know you can use your precious Remnant to wipe us out, and prove Athlum’s strength to the world. The battle has just begun. Let us enjoy it.

You wish to continue this nonsense?!

It’s useless. They don’t get what we’re saying. He… he plays by his own rules.

He is almost there. Roeas, Castanaea... finish this.

Music: Unrelenting Advance

Yes, sir!

You’re strong…

But I…
Rush!

Irina tries to stop Rush.

I can’t…

I can’t lose this fight!!

Yesss… the truth is inside you. Remember your true self!

Rush uses his timeshift to blow past Roeas and Castanea. Funny that for once the hero uses his cool power more in gameplay than in cutscenes!

Oh, right. He has super-human reflexes.

No… NO!!!
((Stop him!! Stop the Conqueror!!!))

:siren: MANDATORY VIEWING! :siren:

- Video: Marion’s Blessing

What’s going on?
Something’s growling!
I-it’s Gwayn!

…!

Outside of Nagapur, the Nagapurian guard is fighting off the Conqueror’s army.

Music: Marion’s Blessing

Rrrush…

Irina!

This… is the power of Marion’s Blessing?

-End of “Disc 1”-

New Arts Summary
learned Mighty Double Strike IV!
learned Nimble Earthrender III!
class changed to Cleric!
learned Dragon’s Flight!

Reunited
Jager’s Interference
BOSS: Jager and Lob Omen
Flight from Nagapur
Marion’s Blessing

Discussion Question: :stare:

Next Time: I win, slowpokes!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 23, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Girl needs to learn how to turn friendly fire off.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well. I guess that's a consequence of having a nuke you don't understand perched above your throne at all times.
Even though it's a mandated cutscene loss for a while it feels a lot less bullshit since you've just been fighting non stop since you got into Nagapur.

This is a damned good 'disk' end though.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Irina joins the party and we get access to awesome firepower, right?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Well they got what the asked for it seems. Not a good idea to taunt people to use nukes.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well. I guess that's a consequence of having a nuke you don't understand perched above your throne at all times.
Even though it's a mandated cutscene loss for a while it feels a lot less bullshit since you've just been fighting non stop since you got into Nagapur.

It's a cutscene loss for both sides though, since now the Conqueror doesn't have an army (or at least has the tattered remnants of one.) There may also be time/generational plot shenanigans going on with Rush from what the Conqueror said. My mind fills with what they may be.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

so yeah, Gae Bolg may be powerful, but on the scale of how much a Remnant can just ruin a day, it has nothing on Gwayn. It's also why Marion's blessing is so dangerous. since Irina can easily bind and control any remnant, even one as dangerous as Gwayn.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Huh. Not often that you see summon attacks actually cause the collateral damage thanks to their crazy attack animations.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Verant posted:

Huh. Not often that you see summon attacks actually cause the collateral damage thanks to their crazy attack animations.

Feels like the Conqueror baited it out to show either Rush or the general populace what Remnants can do? I got the impression that most of the big ones haven't actually done anything for as long as anyone can remember before he showed up.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wagram is probably laughing evilly to himself somewhere in secret.

...then again, dude probably does that all the time.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I've discovered that if you get a Massive Strike on a target and it survives the turn, the next turn ALL unions who were participating can continue to do a Massive Strike on it. Needless to say, it probably isn't going to survive for long after that.

wdarkk posted:

Girl needs to learn how to turn friendly fire off.

Remnants aren't known for having "off" settings.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I'm sure Duke Hermeien understood Gwayn pretty well. Presumably he was bound to it. I just don't think he understood Marion's Blessing that well, otherwise he wouldn't have kidnapped and mistreated Irina, who he needed alive and co-operative.

I'm not quite so sure it was a cutscene loss. A bit closer to a draw, I think. Sure, we hadn't taken out Roeas and Castanea yet, but neither had they taken out any of the Athlumians.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Irina joins the party and we get access to awesome firepower, right?

Irina's status will become clear shortly, but not immediately.

Victis posted:

Feels like the Conqueror baited it out to show either Rush or the general populace what Remnants can do? I got the impression that most of the big ones haven't actually done anything for as long as anyone can remember before he showed up.

On my first playthrough, I thought that Gwayn went berserk "just because", but thinking about it more on this playthrough, it seems clear from what was going on immediately before Gwayn stirred. The Conqueror was attacking Rush, and Irina was desperate to help him, so I think she subconsciously called out with Marion's Blessing. Then things got a little out of hand, a city was wiped out, poo poo happens.

It does seem like it's been a while since the last really big Remnant wars.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 24, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

I win, slowpokes!

- Video: Six Months Later

Thus, half a year passed. After taking control of the Congress, the newly appointed Chairman Ghor deemed Wilfred Hermein a casualty of war.

This video is just David narrating over a black screen, so I spiced the LP up with some semi-relevant pictures.

The official story was that after the Conquerer killed Hermein, the Conquerer’s forces were destroyed in the subsequent fighting. Without an army to fight, the war was over. However, the scars left from the war cut deeper than we’d thought. Violence erupted around the world. And the lords, frustrated from the abundance of futile efforts, devised the ultimate plan.

The Remnants powers were to be used to suppress the violence. Suddenly, the Remnants meant to protect the people were being used against them.

However, The Duke of Ghor did not accept this. ‘The people had placed their trust in the Congress,’ he said, ‘and it was their duty to repay that trust.’ Thanks to Chairman Ghor’s efforts, things finally began to change.

He declared that we had to uncover new Remnants.‘Something for the people to put their trust into. The Congress spread his message to the people. Their hearts were moved, and the violence subsided.

A new age was dawning. One without the horrors of war. At least, that’s what we all believed.

So uh, yeah, it’s been 6 months since the destruction of Nagapur.

Music: Life without Remnants

Other than the narration, “Disc 2” doesn’t have an intro. It dumps you into Athlum Castle, and you can do what you like. Several sidequests have opened up, and we can do them right away… but I’m going to hold off on them because there’s a party size increase coming up soon, and I may as well maximize the number of units which get XP.

He's learnt there is a major Remnant located at Fornstrand, on the dark sea to the north of the continent. Let's not waste any time, Rush.
An unknown Remnant at Fornstrand... Well, it's known of now... No doubt some shady types are going to go after it. Don't let down your guard, Rush.
Fornstrand, huh? I don't really like that place... The sky's always covered with dark clouds... It kinda gives me the willies.
It's been some time since the Congress elected the Duke of Ghor as the new chairman, but still... I'm continually astonished at how he can work people so hard.
It's imperative that we find a new Remnant to restore the faith of the Athlum people as soon as possible. Without the Valeria Heart, the unease of the people is palpable.

No prob!
Ohh! As always, I appreciate your generosity.

This is the sword we picked up right before the Haryplia boss.

So, how about your Justice Wristlet? Why don’tcha let me take care of it for a while?
Sure, no prob.
F’r real? You’re alright.

Would you allow me to borrow your Ring of the Patient Ear?
No prob!
Thank you. You’ve been a big help.

Rush, my boy, I’ve found myself in need of Tanned Archfiend Hide. Have we the time to obtain one?
Sure.
Excellent! Then let’s get a move on.

Rush, I really need a Reprocessed Metal. Think we could go find one?
Yeah, let’s go.
I owe you one.

Ah, Rush, do you have a moment? I am looking for Reprocessed Metals… Would you come with me to find one?
Yeah, let’s go.
You’ve my gratitude.

Rush, I have need of a Reprocessed Metal. Have we the time to obtain one?
Sure, no prob.
Thank you. Then, let’s not waste any time.

Actually, let’s. All towns have fresh dialogue, so let’s tour Athlum and see what’s going on. No, I’m not going to stop posting these messages. I have to suffer through them, so you do as well. :unsmigghh:

Fire…fire and rubble everywhere. So many bodies…

Even after losing the Valeria Heart and Lady Emma, Lord David hasn't missed a beat, going out to the battlefield and leading the troops. It's moving, isn't it? He's going to lead Athlum to a bright future, I just know it.

So, word is that that new Congress chairman, Ghor or whatever, he's told Lord David to go off to find more massive Remnants. Seriously, are you just supposed to be stumbling over them as you walk down the street? If they were that easy to find, you'd see them in shops down here all the time, eh, pops?

Rush, I have need of a Raptor Hide. Is there to obtain one?
Sure, no problem.
Thank you. I am in your debt.

Are we supposed to be such superstitious old biddies that we can't have any confidence of our own? Our strength doesn't come from any Remnant - it comes from ourselves!
Yeah!
...Well, that's what the bartender was going on about earlier, anyhow.

So, it seems the Congress has delegated people to find new Remnants to replace those stolen by the Conqueror. And now that everyone knows what the Gwayn did to Nagapur... Fools! Are they looking for a repeat of that performance across the continent?
That’s NOT gonna happen! I won’t let it!
…?
I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to yell…

Now that Duke Ghor has become chairman of the Congress, the search for the new Remnants has been going with full force. Along the way, people have found all sorts of previously undiscovered areas.

This doesn’t unlock a new area yet, but remember him for later.

poo poo, just 'cuz the Valeria Heart's gone don't mean the town's got to be all doom and gloom and destruction or whatever. Lord David's already findin' us a new symbol, right? So, I was thinking I should help out, an' go find one too. Then won't nobody have a thing to worry about. I could find us a new Remnant in a hot minute!

This guy is new to the bar.

Seems like they've started rebuilding the Numor Mines. They've still gotta clean out the monsters what live there, so it'll be a bit before the grand re-opening. It'll be pretty rough not to be able to freely harvest there anymore... I heard they've finally got the lift working to the lowest level, though. If ever there was a time to hit the mines, this is it.

Talking to him unlocks additional areas in Numor Mine. We technically could have gotten access to these earlier if we’d done Ophelia’s quest, but there is no good reason to do it.

Pub Regular: That new chairman of the Congress, Ghor, he's the one that lives in that run-down fortress, eh? When he came into office, I figured he was all brawn and no brains, but he's done quite the job of getting things under control. And now, he's even sending folks to find us all new Remnants? That's a good sort if I've ever seen one!

Pleasant Young Man: … That’s the story, anyway.
Bartender: Rocks, pfft. I’m looking for three wonderful men! That’s something that would be really important to the entire world… or at least the me-part of it.

Sky-Gazing Woman: Besides... I've already gotten used to seeing the sky without it...

Ever since Duke Ghor became chairman of the Congress, supply patterns have changed a lot! I guess all the stuff that used to be saved especially for Nagapur is being routed to other cities.

Huhhh, so is that Conqueror bastard really s'posed to be dead? Rumor is, his army wasn't completely destroyed... Damned if there's anything I wouldn't rather hear, though.

That’s all for Athlum. The new conversations for the other cities will be shown when we get there.

Music: Breakers on the Shore

Fornstrand – Strong winds and waves speed the erosion of this seaside cliff. The atmosphere of the area changes every few decades from calm to stormy. It is currently in a time of calm.

Fornstrand is the first new dungeon of Disc 2. We have generally seen most of the dungeons in part already, but there are new ones like this one. It’s a seashore area, but it’s closer to a shipwreck beach than a vacation beach. It’s sunset, but it’s not even a beautiful sunset. The sun is hidden behind the clouds. The water is dark and murky. And always… always there are monsters. It also gets unique music as well.

I’m going to swing around that rock formation to get the chest. There’s also a harvesting point there which has Reprocessed Metals in it – convenient, because some people want those right now, so I grabbed a bunch of them. The chest only had the Maelstrom formation. One of these days I should probably stop ignoring my formations and check again for what ones are good. It’s just that I have dozens of the drat things.

Also, something I never noticed until now, but as Roobanguy pointed out, at the start of Disc 2, Rush got an armor upgrade. Now his formerly bare arms are covered, and he has additional armor behind his back left leg. It's still totally cosmetic, but it's a nice touch.

Pretty.

The enemies ahead are Vanargand’s. They dropped some items that Emmy and Roberto wanted. But note that up ahead on the pillar is a Spiritlord.

Music: Beat the Odds

I engaged another large group of enemies - Vanargand’s and Armorshells. Beat the Odds is the new Low Morale music. I enjoy it a lot more than Sliver of Hope. This fight took nearly 10 minutes. I declined to make a video of it.

class changed to Expert Cavalier!
learned Vivification Herb IV!
learned:
  • Nimble Blue Streak!
  • Nimble Blue Streak II!
learned Vivification Herb!

- Video: Rare Monster Seething Wind

Seething Wind is a tough cookie. I’m already underlevelled for most of the enemies here, but it’s worse versus this Rare monster. Its BR starts out at 49. Although granted, BR differences are not THAT big a deal.

The usual Spiritlord Curse happens. Violet also falls.

On your feet!
Pardon me for troubling you.

This was a bit of a waste of revival herbs, because they’re still cursed, and the only cure is death.

Damnit…
This isn’t over yet!

David brings Rush back.

A nice dodge-counter, and oh, what’s happening with Torgal?

Ah, he’s leveled up one of his arts. That hit for about 7200 damage.

I thought about using Ex Machina, but decided to continue flanking instead.

Music: Clash of Opposites

Ouch.

I hate it when they spam these things.

I decide that maybe this fight IS tough enough to pull out the big guns, so David will keep Seething Wind busy with Ex Machina while Blocter starts to pick people up.

This was a really lucky break.

Things are going pretty well, so I’ll just lower the morale instead of Omnistrike.

Music: Turn the Tide

Turn the Tide is the new High Morale music. Unfortunately, it’s not as good as Reversal, but that is a high bar to beat.

Pagus is not very useful for physical attacks at this stage of the game.

Very nice!

learned Mighty Four Winds II!
learned Nimble Cutting Lunge II!
class changed to Master Scout!
class changed to Lordly Scout!
class changed to Lordly Monk!

I wonder if this is low tide? … I wonder if this world even has a moon and tides.

*sigh* Such are the risks of harvesting.

Switch is a nasty attack which lowers morale and also hits each unit in the union for some damage, making it dangerous for the same reason that Revitalize is so good.

This is another nasty one. It killed David’s Division, and so they get no XP for this encounter.

In the middle here is another morsel to increase Mr. Diggs count. I haven’t really been obsessing about getting them all, because I got 20 or so on my first playthrough, and when combined with a guide about where to dig, that’s pretty much all you’ll need.

We’re almost at the end.

- Video: Enter the Seven

Ha ha! I win, slowpokes! In your face, Blocter!
No way, y’cheater!
Please, remember why we’re here.

Lord David is still hiding the fact that you and your sister share Marion’s Blessing. And that’s a significant risk. Do not make all his efforts be for naught.
Yeah, I know. Sorry.

Come, now. You don’t have to worry about that.

Or… maybe you do?

The Remnant we came to find is transformed into a Talisman by Roeas.

Ha ha ha ha ha…

Roeas catches the talisman.

Music: Enter the Seven

So, they survived.
(I hope they didn’t hear all that.)

She flips it to Castanea.

Hold it! What are you gonna do with that Remnant?
And why should we tell you?
Uh…. Isn’t that the way it’s supposed to work?
Your little group can’t do a thing about it either way!

And Milton catches it. Wait, Milton?

H-hey! You guys? I did a side-quest and you were there, and you were there, and you were there…

So it turns out that most of those guys we did quests for between finding Marina Sykes and David’s meeting in Nagapur are actually villains working for the Conqueror. I was actually surprised by this on my first time playing, because getting side-quests from bad guys isn’t something that happens so often.

We return to Athlum. Now!
Yes, my Lord!

We’re pretty lucky that they didn’t care to fight us. It also makes sense – they already had what they wanted.

New Arts Summary
learned Vivification Herb IV!
learned:
  • Nimble Blue Streak!
  • Nimble Blue Streak II!
learned Vivification Herb!
class changed to Lordly Scout!
learned Mighty Four Winds II!
learned Nimble Cutting Lunge II!
class changed to Master Scout!
class changed to Lordly Monk!

A lot of sidequests expired after pasing the point of no return in the Aqueducts. However, for each and every quest which expires, there’s a good reason you can point to and say “that’s why”.

The six-month timeskip is one reason most of the sidequests expired. I looked at the list and almost every single sidequest which expired was a matter of some urgency – the kind of situation which would change if you come back half a year later. This includes the ones where the optional cities have a crisis.

Most of the other ones which expired were given out by the Seven, which have been revealed now as additional lackeys of the Conqueror, and it would not make sense for them to be asking us to do crap after this reveal.

The Khrynia quest chain, up to and including the one where she appears in Nagapur also expire, because you need to do them in order to get her to move on to the next city.

I’m just going to spoil the names of those we didn’t know because it’s not that secret, and we may as well have something better to call them. For reference:

Hannah & Hinnah:

Chapter XXV - You owe me a corpse, rear end in a top hat!

Young (Dishonest-looking Man)

Chapter XXVII - Ice burrrn!

Sneivan (White Sovani)

Chapter XXVIII - I hope that next time you wash your hands, at least.

Ludope (White Qsiti)

Chapter XXIX - And they wail so loud, already, it’s as if my head would burst

Milton

Chapter XXXI - It overflows with the desire for blood!

Zuido

Chapter XXXII - Shiny shiny. My shinies...

I made sure to use a line by them as the chapter title. As some people suspected, they are the people who would be part of your party if your PC was the Conqueror. I’ve now added a “Forces of the Conqueror” section to the cast list.

It is most definitely intentional that most of their quests reward you with Salia stones, which are drawn to the powerful.

Video: Six Months Later
Video: Rare Monster Seething Wind
Video: Enter the Seven

Discussion Question: Was anyone surprised that some or all of those guys we met turned out to be evil?

Next Time: Terrible things are all the more necessary to remember

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 14, 2016

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I didn't see that coming.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well. That's certainly something. I didn't expect that, no.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I thought something might be up with them from their portraits and quests but I wasn't expecting this. I was expecting 'there'll be another side quest later where they'll make you regret helping them' but not that they're part of the Conquerors forces.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
I do appreciate them posing for a team photo upon their reveal.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Crazed old swordsman, betting rear end in a top hat, and multiple personality hitman seem murderous and evil when you read their quest dialogue, but there's plenty of RPGs where you recruit questionable people to fight for you. This was definitely a surprise for me... Guess Rush isn't getting a date with those girls after all.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah Questionable sidequest people are staple in all RPGs.

and:

quote:

...Psych! Haw haw haw, you shoulda seen your face! You're lucky, kid - until the old man gets stuff started, I'm off the clock. I'll let you go for now. Get ready to put up a fight next time, eh? Ah, and here ya go, just like I promised. Fight ya later!
Nice bit of blink and you'll miss it foreshadowing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The public was horrified at the dudes in charge misusing remnants, but the duke regained their trust by saying that he would get more remnants. Hurray for remnants, except for when they suck!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Serious Frolicking posted:

The public was horrified at the dudes in charge misusing remnants, but the duke regained their trust by saying that he would get more remnants. Hurray for remnants, except for when they suck!

Yeah, that is kinda odd. The game isn't making this quite clear, but I think a lot of it is that before the battle of Nagapur, the Conqueror had stolen a bunch of Remnants, and the people depend on those for protection from the filthy beastmen and other monsters, so they were worried. In fact, if we hadn't completed the urgent quests of Balterossa, Royotia, and Melphina, those Remnants would also have fallen into the Conqueror's hands.

Some people are indeed skeptical about this being a good idea, most notably the Strong-Willed Woman.

So, it seems the Congress has delegated people to find new Remnants to replace those stolen by the Conqueror. And now that everyone knows what the Gwayn did to Nagapur... Fools! Are they looking for a repeat of that performance across the continent?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

In fact, if we hadn't completed the urgent quests of Balterossa, Royotia, and Melphina, those Remnants would also have fallen into the Conqueror's hands.

Does this have gameplay consequences, or is it just story?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I was taken by surprise by this my first play through. I had pegged the twins and the old man as shoe-ins for future party members, so seeing them show up here was quite the shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

ultrafilter posted:

Does this have gameplay consequences, or is it just story?

Yes.

• Locked thread