Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Alcoholic sweet tea it is then - can I sweeten it with elderflower syrup, or do I have to start from scratch with a new syrup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scratch the sweet tea.

Brew unsweetened iced tea really strong, mix half and half with super sour lemonade, and add bourbon to taste.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Scratch the sweet tea.

Brew unsweetened iced tea really strong, mix half and half with super sour lemonade, and add bourbon to taste.

Yeah.. well.. lemonade.. Then I would have to make lemonade too...

I will use the elderflower syrup, sour it up a bit, use it for lemonade, and then do as you decree!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Lucky for you, sweet tea vodka exists!

Ok seriously. This needs to end now. There seems to be some kind of booze rule 34. If it exists, there is a vodka of it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

No loving lie. Cake vodka. :barf:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
When I learned that the Italian for butter is "burro", I about melted. Good gods, that language is so goddamned /sexy/. I want people to speak Italian at me.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I just assumed Italians were as weird as Mexican folk and ate foods named after equines too.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

dino. posted:

Ok seriously. This needs to end now. There seems to be some kind of booze rule 34. If it exists, there is a vodka of it.

Wait... I thought the suggestion was to make sweet tea and then add vodka?

What...

Edit: This cold tea stuff is a mistake - I am going with a nice Tokay'er instead!

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 16, 2013

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:barf:

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Southern homewife pruno!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Wait... I thought the suggestion was to make sweet tea and then add vodka?

What...

Edit: This cold tea stuff is a mistake - I am going with a nice Tokay'er instead!

I'll second the Arnold Palmer (1/2 Iced Tea + 1/2 Lemonade) and bourbon; is a Tokay'er another name for Tokaji?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Furious Lobster posted:

I'll second the Arnold Palmer (1/2 Iced Tea + 1/2 Lemonade) and bourbon; is a Tokay'er another name for Tokaji?

They changed the loving spelling... gently caress!

I mean - for gods sake, you call it a pineapple, but when it comes to wine you all of a sudden have to be goddamn authentic

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

still better than

:barf: :barf:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:barf: :barf: :barf:

American honey is the worst

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
HappyHat should probably just whiskey smash..

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Whiskey smash is the most should-be-American-standard drink.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
For reference: http://americandrink.net/post/678120006/the-whiskey-smash

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

old fashioned :colbert:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Casu Marzu posted:

:barf: :barf: :barf:

American honey is the worst

I really wanted American Honey to be good cause I really wanted to make Rusty Nail-style drink with American Honey and some other bourbon and call it a Golden Spike. I bought one of the little sampler bottles and it was just so bad :(

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

They changed the loving spelling... gently caress!

I mean - for gods sake, you call it a pineapple, but when it comes to wine you all of a sudden have to be goddamn authentic

Apologies for what may have been interpreted as snideness or a demand for precise language; I googled the entirety of the word rather than just "Tokay", which I didn't realize was the earlier formalized version of the wine. Also, the etymology of pineapple is pretty interesting and both labels seem to be appropriate.

that's more like it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Well yeah, that stuff is lovely, but Deep Eddy's sweet tea is really good.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

lol I didn't know Tea Grew In America.

:colbert:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Mmm...Tokai

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Limeade and gin is treating me right this fine Saturday afternoon.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I ended up with:

Buffalo chicken wings with blue cheese dressing and leafy celleriac
Thai barbeque chicken wings
Creamed corn
Corn bread
Cole slaw
Pulled pork with soft buns and a mustard, vinegar, chili sauce on the side (made a barbeque from blueberries for the pork).
Collard greens (greens, maybe not collard)...
Accompagnied by sweet elderflower iced tea for the kids and
Tokay (gently caress spelling - drunk, I am staying consistent, your language is, as usual, not!) for the grownups (and well - tastes for some of the kids who're in sore need of erudition).

Followed by rhubarb/strawberry creme brulee (couldn't do american style, didn't have enough ramekins...) accompagnied by a nice little SGN gewürz)

Chased by Chartreuse as a digestif (wtf america - why don't you have digestifs??)
Chased by Espresso
Chased by Vanilla lattes (yes.. latte with poo poo tons of galliano)
Chased by a nice little Recioto (just a Lenotti, nothing fancy)

I know that I am missing at least 2, maybe as much as 3 dishes in my retelling, but I am simply to full and drunk to remember them all!

Oh.. and cheeses too - but that wasn't really american, so that really didn't count!

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Since when do people bake cupcakes in those fuckoff huge muffin tins?

That poo poo ain't a cupcake. It's a Cake.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
How big? We do 1in and 3in cupcakes.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

The calipers say 3.72" at the base. And people are looking at me funny.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've got a birthday dinner in a week, thinking what sounds good for food.

Right now I'm thinking chicken pot pie & roasted vegetables (brussels, parsnips, unsure what else.) Anything else sound good to you lot?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If you don't mind the calories, Manuel, potato pancakes are delicious.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was thinking a nice crusty bread, actually. Forgot about that part.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Last night, we watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Tonight, we went out to sushi
At least the quail egg shooters were nice

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Made this last week. Heavy on paprika, cayenne, carroway, celery salt. Sweetened with apricot jelly and honey. Making it again tonight and tweaking it a bit + making more for lunch tomorrow.

Reserved some onion to add at the halfway point of the stew. Added green bell pepper and carrot. Butchered some beef chuck and minced some of the less desirable looking pieces.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Last night, we watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Tonight, we went out to sushi
At least the quail egg shooters were nice

I read this about four times to see if it was a haiku. :downs:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Back from winter warfare training (!), I was wading through knee-deep snow with a machine gun on Valentine's so tonight, I'm taking the lady out for surprise shellfish platter and champagne :dance:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sjurygg posted:

Back from winter warfare training (!), I was wading through knee-deep snow with a machine gun on Valentine's so tonight, I'm taking the lady out for surprise shellfish platter and champagne :dance:

will it be... a raw... shellfish platter... :ohdear:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

no

most of it at least the scallops were marinated in thyme and shallots

bottle of chablis to wash it all down

picture does not fully convey immenseness

waited whole life for this shellfish platter

so full

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

May God forgive us

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

May God forgive us

That looks amazing. So jealous. I hardly ever eat shellfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I love shellfish platters so much. one of my favorite memories of france/my girl was taking a trip to provence early in our relationship, and randomly stumbling across some restaurant in a small town in the middle of nowhere outside marseilles that specialized in seafood. we got a 60 euro seafood platter that was a gigantic gently caress off tower of raw poo poo, some of which I had never eaten before. raw clams, raw sea snails, raw mussles, of course oysters, shrimp, crab, lobster, and a giant basket of frites. washed down with a nondescript bottle of table white and a small carafe of pastis ~ it's one of those food memories that I don't think will ever get less vivid.

shallots and thyme sounds like a good shellfish marinade - was it like ceviche done mignonette style? or cooked and then doused with a shallot/thyme oil? or what. gotta take notes