Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

MF_James posted:

I do have 50 mythril (more than that actually) which banners are good to pull right now?

If I were you, I would consider the current Realm Dungeon Lucky draw. Those pop up around once a month when new Realm Dungeons get released, and are half-price (25 mythril) for a one-time 11 pull. Unlike the Newcomer banners, they actually have good stuff on them.

Aside from that, we're getting a Renewal banner for every realm every day alongside the renewal dungeon event. Try to steamroll through as many of those low-level dungeons in the events that you can. Other goons might be able to chime in with recommendations for one of the Renewal banners.

e:f;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah I've been doing some of hte renewal dungeons as a change of pace, some of the further ones end up being difficult, which is cool, I'm slightly unprepared for actual difficult stuff since I haven't really spentmany resources to buy/upgrade spells/gear yet since I have zero clue what to spend stuff on.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DizzyBum posted:

If I were you, I would consider the current Realm Dungeon Lucky draw. Those pop up around once a month when new Realm Dungeons get released, and are half-price (25 mythril) for a one-time 11 pull. Unlike the Newcomer banners, they actually have good stuff on them.

Aside from that, we're getting a Renewal banner for every realm every day alongside the renewal dungeon event. Try to steamroll through as many of those low-level dungeons in the events that you can. Other goons might be able to chime in with recommendations for one of the Renewal banners.

e:f;b

As far as relics go the renewal banners aren't a good idea. It's an uncurated pile of stuff that's just as likely to give something horribly out of date as it is to give something nifty, and there are a lot more out of date relics in the pool. Modern event banners, even the "bad" (better to say "uninteresting" but these things are evaluated through the eye of bleeding-edge content) banners have taken out old SSBs and just have U- O- and BSBs (and materia). The monthly dungeon Lucky Draw gets away with it by being half price.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Got Sazh over strike soul break (OSB?)
Also got a Power Wristband (XV) Legend Materia to Iris
Squall SSB
Edea SSB

Any of this poo poo good in the long run? I assume, for now, once I have those characters, I should probably use them since this stuff will push me into more difficult content, but long term are they useful?

Also, I seem to just keep getting stamina from god only knows where, I don't think I've ever dropped into my theoretical max, are there stamina potions I'm getting from fights that keep giving me more? Like, I was at hte main screen 20 minutes ago, had 80/42 and then went and did adungeon plus the relic draw and now I have 142/42

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 19, 2018

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MF_James posted:

Squall SSB
Edea SSB

Any of this poo poo good in the long run? I assume, for now, once I have those characters, I should probably use them since this stuff will push me into more difficult content, but long term are they useful?

Also, I seem to just keep getting stamina from god only knows where, I don't think I've ever dropped into my theoretical max, are there stamina potions I'm getting from fights that keep giving me more? Like, I was at hte main screen 20 minutes ago, had 80/42 and then went and did adungeon plus the relic draw and now I have 142/42

If it's Sazh, it's actually a USB (Ultra Soul Break). Check again that it's for him and it's an OSB. If it's his USB that's actually very good. Iris's LMR is also good since doublecasting heals is very nice, but you'll want a better source of healing eventually.

You get stamina shards as reward for clearing Realm Dungeons. Every 5 stamina shards you get increases your stamina by 1 and gives you a full refill (now with overflow). The earliest dungeons were designed for rushing up your stamina super quick, so most have 2 shards or even 3-5 if you're lucky. If you start pushing up against the ACTUAL stamina cap (which I think is 999), take some time off of the realm dungeons and clear out early renewal dungeons for access to more characters for free. Before long you should have the full stable, with enough hero souls to get those characters from side events that won't show up like Reynn and Lann from WoFF.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

MF_James posted:

Squall SSB
Edea SSB

Every time you get 5 stamina shards and increase your max stamina, you also get that much stamina (up to a total of 999)

MF_James
May 8, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

If it's Sazh, it's actually a USB (Ultra Soul Break). Check again that it's for him and it's an OSB. If it's his USB that's actually very good. Iris's LMR is also good since doublecasting heals is very nice, but you'll want a better source of healing eventually.

You get stamina shards as reward for clearing Realm Dungeons. Every 5 stamina shards you get increases your stamina by 1 and gives you a full refill (now with overflow). The earliest dungeons were designed for rushing up your stamina super quick, so most have 2 shards or even 3-5 if you're lucky. If you start pushing up against the ACTUAL stamina cap (which I think is 999), take some time off of the realm dungeons and clear out early renewal dungeons for access to more characters for free. Before long you should have the full stable, with enough hero souls to get those characters from side events that won't show up like Reynn and Lann from WoFF.

Ok the stamina thing makes sense, I didn't realize it gave me my max amount and allowed overflow. Maybe a tutorial told me, I'm impatient as gently caress.

Oh, yeah that's a USB for sazh, OSB is for rinoa, SSB for edea and squall SSB, I guess I got one more than I thought and fukt it up.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

MF_James posted:

A somewhat recent change that they've made to the stamina shard system is that every time you gain a point of max stamina (getting 5 stamina shards), your current stamina will increase by your new max stamina, allowing you to have more than your maximum. Previously, it would only refill your stamina so people needed to do an annoying amount of stamina management to avoid wasting stamina refills.

During half stamina realm dungeon events you're pretty much going to be able to run dungeons for as long as you can stomach. There's a screenshot of someone hitting 999 stamina doing this, but that's a crazy thing that you shouldn't do. Just make sure you're below your maximum stamina when you're done playing since stamina doesn't start refilling until you're below your max.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MF_James posted:

Ok the stamina thing makes sense, I didn't realize it gave me my max amount and allowed overflow. Maybe a tutorial told me, I'm impatient as gently caress.

Oh, yeah that's a USB for sazh, OSB is for rinoa, SSB for edea and squall SSB, I guess I got one more than I thought and fukt it up.

Sazh and Rinoa will get along real well; Sazh's USB gives the entire party haste and a Magic boost, and Rinoa's OSB is magic-based, so he makes her hit harder.

Squall's SSB is super old and dated, and Edea's isn't that great, so they're better as stat sticks - anyone can use 5* gear as long as they can equip it, it's just that those characters can learn soul breaks from them. It's good to make sure you can gear up your team in 5*/6* armor and weapons as soon as possible since it increases your survivability significantly.

The 3* and 4* is mostly outdated trash at this point. Use it if you need to, but I wouldn't waste upgrade materials on it over 5* gear.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Went gently caress it and did a draw

100 gem got me Garland burst

50 draw...4 disco balls holy poo poo
2X Sarah USB
2X Wol USB

I went fug it, and drew again
Garland burst Dupe

Went fug it and drew again cause im stupid.

Meia SSB

I regret some things, but overall great haul.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
The latest MVP newsletter is up on Reddit. Some interesting parts - we're getting the datamined elemental banners from April 22nd, and 50 free mythril over 10 days in May.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

MF_James posted:

I do have 50 mythril (more than that actually) which banners are good to pull right now?

If you're really new, you don't need many things at this precise moment, so I'd agree with pulling on the Realm Lucky Draw right now. Feel free to post a screenshot for advice on what you get too!

Otherwise I'd hold off on most banners for a few weeks at least. The ones now are OK but not amazing and there are a lot of strong contenders (like the upcoming FFXV and even XIII) that would do well for you.

Also join discord!!!!!

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 20, 2018

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Element Draws are next weeks WHOOPS

Oh well I did it for Garland, FF1 synergy, and Meia's fineass thighs and bap.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm curious about the change to relic draws they are planning - might just end up them showing the draw odds.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Im hoping Guaranteed 6* or choose a 5*
Or Both. Cmon DeNA be the ultimate bros and make us not want to gouge our brains in despair.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Avalerion posted:

I'm curious about the change to relic draws they are planning - might just end up them showing the draw odds.

They said "global exclusive" feature though. Japan already shows the draw odds.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Ripley posted:

The latest MVP newsletter is up on Reddit. Some interesting parts - we're getting the datamined elemental banners from April 22nd, and 50 free mythril over 10 days in May.

I like how they are giving the most popular ability as a free gift. You’d think most people would already have it.

Not that a 2nd or even a 3rd copy is bad, just found it funny.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
2 dollar pulls:

Locke USB

Garland BSB

Neither is a dupe.

1/2 ain't bad!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you haven't been keeping up with Torments or Jump Starts, you should probably start now

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
Finally finished babby's first magicite, even though my selection of water soul breaks is painfully basic :haw: :

Celes probably did almost as much damage as anybody just thanks to constant Engulfing Quadstrike recharged via runic.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Deathwing posted:

Finally finished babby's first magicite, even though my selection of water soul breaks is painfully basic :haw: :

You use what you got. Congrats. :toot:

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

You use what you got. Congrats. :toot:

Next one in line should be a little easier, seeing as I picked up Krile's CSB and 4 or 5 other fire SB's during the fest, but i'll probably try and take out some more torments first.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I Am The Greatest Man That Ever Lived

OK I'm not but this feels really good. It really was worth it to grind Maliris for all those Bomb Kings.

Strat:

Edward USB and Edge SSB first things.

Vivi and Terra cast Chain Firaga on themselves on their first turns to trigger their own trances.

Edge SSB avoids Isgebind first turn scripted AoE physical attack.

Edward solo mag buffs everyone with Mana's Paean then Mage Hymn spam

Y'shtola heals and everyone else double casts fire.

Vivi BSB entry is used once to stack mag buffs such that Terra hits for 9999 on her Chain Firaga. She also casts USB and OSB once per fight.

If RNG is good it's a guaranteed sub 30.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 20, 2018

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you can sub30 him with just Edge, Terra USB+OSB spam, and 3* magicites.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

look at this guy with his terra relics

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
Yeah, I said it like kind of dick, but if they're looking for a more consistent method, it uses a strict subset of what they currently are.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

eelmonger posted:

Yeah, I said it like kind of dick, but if they're looking for a more consistent method, it uses a strict subset of what they currently are.

My method is consistent.

Also yes you're a dick.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
You said you needed good RNG for sub30, and USB->OSB spam doesn't really once you know the timing of everything. Regardless, congrats on your sub30.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
First attempt at Marliris

Yuffie BSB2
Tidus CSB/USB
Ramza Shout
Aphmau USB
Shelke

Magicites: Enki, Kraken, Kraken, Octomammoth, Gizamaluke

Not as bad as I was expecting but it's a bit of a harrowing race to the finish as the imperils stack up. Bit sad to leave Bartz and his USB on the bench but needed Yuffs and her blinks to survive at the end. Think i might dive her and see if it's enough to get to sub 30

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
after pulling yet another FF12 3* weapon(that drat idiot Halbred that I see win my nightmares) with a 100 gem pull, I'm wanting to actually fight these things as boss battles.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
So Ice Boost Record Draw is the first of eight we're gonna see tomorrow, and its.... Bad okay.

Snow CSB
Rinoa USB
Serah USB
Laguna USB

:siren:Rinoa BSB1:siren:
Serah BSB1
Laguna BSB2
Edea BSB
Ayame BSB

Snow LMR
Rinoa LMR
Laguna LMR
Edea LMR
Ayame LMR

The 6* relics are fine at least, but that's all I can really say.

First of all, Rinoa BSB1. It's old, it's bad. Serah BSB1 is also sorta surprising, but at least it's an En-Ice relic. Also, no one but Laguna has a particularily good LMR in this set, so that's already 5 duds on the banner.

Also, only two ice boosts on here (Laguna and Rinoa USBs). If they swapped Serah for Ysayle for another 6* ice boosting relic or at least put Serah's LMR on there - both for an actual decent LMR and ice+ armor. I still think it's Mythril you can save for the next VIII event and Laguna's next gen Ice Chain.

Seriously, Rinoa BSB1.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 22, 2018

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Hey now, calling that bad is a bit of an overstatement. Ayame and Edea BSBs are USB quality, Ayame's LMR is fantastic in context of her package, Laguna BSB and LMR are fine. Hell even Rinoa's LMR is fine.

If you need Ice, this is a fine banner to pull on. There's 6/14 gamechanger relics with about 2 or 3 pieces of trash. That's pretty much average.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I'm overreacting a little from actually seeing Rinoa BSB1 and the lack of actual Ice Boosting equipment on the banner, especially with the new Chains coming next fest. It just doesn't appeal too much to me, even as someone with no dupes.

Although, no dupes might actually make the banner worse for me when 5 relics are LMRs that aren't always great stand-alone pieces and I don't really have anything great for any of them. Could also just be I'm not the biggest fan of the Buildup and Quickcast LMRs.

It is at least a completely ice focused banner when we have few ice focused banners coming up. There's really just the Ultimecia event and if we still get the Water/Ice banner next fest. Then a few relics in between (Celes USB, Seven for an Ice Mage Support, Fran's stat break USB) until the next next fest after and the VIII event with Rinoa's Brave Mode USB.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 22, 2018

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

”I have Squall BSB2 but I still need more ice” is the target audience here.

Banner seems fine even with some questionable choices in the consolation prize pool that Pichupal pointed out.

With seven great+ relics in the bsb+ pool and some okay complimentary LMRs on top I’d say it’s a pretty good banner. That’s a number event banners can very rarely match and as a massive boon the banner is focused on a single element while event banners tend to be a mixed bag of everything.

Squall comes back with every fest and VIII banner until the end of time. This is a great chance to get some other ice relics.

I’d pull if I needed more ice. Which I don’t and stacking gear needlessly in a gacha with powercreep is a poor investment.

If it’s a 25 once only I probably can’t resist a good gamble pull but it seems extremely likely to be just the banner 2 for Meia event meaning 50.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I will definitely agree that including both Rinoa and Serah BSB1s is loving pathetic.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

What are all the LMRs again?

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Laguna’s is chance to imperil ice
Ayame and Edea have a chance to gain quickcast 1
Rinoa and Snow have the primary stat buildup

Big fan of Laguna’s. The others... are better than no LM at all.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I think if you're diving Ayame it's a great LMR. Quickcast doublecasts are great.

By itself, ehhhhh

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
that's a real disappointment of a first banner, the discos are real good and edea/ayame bursts are good but i have them already. everything else is pretty brutal.

hopefully the wind/earth/holy ones are better than this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Unless this is half of or something I'll skip, the Ultimecia banners seem much better overall if you don't mind some other elements mixed in.

• Locked thread