Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Anyone have a recommendation for a waffle iron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Just get an old fashioned stove top type.

http://www.amazon.com/NordicWare-Aluminum-Stovetop-Belgium-Waffle/dp/B00004W4UE

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

I have that NordicWare waffle iron and it rules. So much better than the electric kind in every way.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
There are some good electric ones, but they're $150-200 for no real benefit other than a slight convenience.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I have this Waring Pro electric one and it's pretty great but they don't make this model any more. Also it's a belgian waffle maker, not a standard waffle maker. We've been using it for about 8 years with no problems.

Still, some apple pecan belgian waffles and home made vanilla ice cream is the bomb

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Stovetop makers are also bad rear end enough to make Liege waffles, and you can just chuck it in the sink.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If ever I could justify spending $600 on a waffle iron, I'd get one of these.

http://m.centralrestaurant.com/product_details.php?pid=24429&gclid=CPa6opi-lMcCFYlafgodp_4OEQ

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
Vitamix chat:

logical fallacy posted:

Get a refurb variable speed or wait for a good Costco pack (if you plan on using, say, the dry container)

100% this. If you just go to the Vitamix site (and you can wait for a sale or coupon) their Standard line will either get you an older model with just pulse/variable, or a newer one that also has smoothie/dessert/soup settings. Either way, it's a badass blender with a great warranty.

e: You guys make me really glad I'm a pancake person.

revdrkevind fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 7, 2015

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
I bought this waffle maker as crazy splurge gift last year, and I love it:
http://www.amazon.com/Breville-Smart-Waffle-Stainless-Steel/dp/B00F5C1QK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438930985

Yeah, it's stupidly expensive (though surprisingly it was cheaper in Australia than in the US), and there's really no need for it, but I'll be damned if it doesn't produce 100% perfect waffles every single time. It gets used at a couple times per month, and every waffle that comes out is identical to the first one I made months ago. That "moat" around the edge that catches batter overrun is a total gimmick, and it also works exactly as designed. Easily the best waffles I've ever had, no contest.

I'm glad it's impossible to find a regular 4 square waffle maker here in Oz, cause I probably would have never bought this one. It's probably the only time I spent way too much on something, and didn't feel guilty afterwards.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Breville is a 'strayan company

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Hey is this the same kitchenaid mixer that goes on sale frequently and is generally recommended? Seems like a good price on a refurb http://www.ebay.com/itm/131335379184?rmvSB=true&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Everyone else will tell you to get the lift-bowl kind but I think that's a good price on a decent mixer

This is the one everyone else recommends:
http://www.costco.com/KitchenAid%C2%AE--6-Qt-Professional-600-Design-Series-Mixer-with-Glass-Bowl.product.100221195.html

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 8, 2015

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Everyone else will tell you to get the lift-bowl kind but I think that's a good price on a decent mixer

Right but the lift bowl ones tend to be more expensive..? I'm looking for a decent mixer that will last a while with little to moderate use, I'm not super serious about doughs/baking but I want to have the tools to do it properly. However if that means a tilt head mixer is still not worth getting, so be it

Edit: yeah that seems right, just wondering given my intended use if it'd be advisable to get the cheaper tilt-head.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah as long as you're not doing bread dough every other day you should be fine.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Glambags posted:

Right but the lift bowl ones tend to be more expensive..? I'm looking for a decent mixer that will last a while with little to moderate use, I'm not super serious about doughs/baking but I want to have the tools to do it properly. However if that means a tilt head mixer is still not worth getting, so be it

Edit: yeah that seems right, just wondering given my intended use if it'd be advisable to get the cheaper tilt-head.

I have a tilt-head. It was cheaper. It's never been a problem.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I have a tilt-head. It was cheaper. I don't use it that much, but I've already replaced the gearset once, and I think it might need replacing again before the end of the year.

Get the bowl lift.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I've had a tilt head for 9 or 10 years that I use extensively - cake, cake fillings and icings, cookies, confections, breads. Never had any issue with it. Some of the newer models may use plastic gears while I think all bowl lift models use metal gears so that's what you need to make sure of. Functionally I like the tilt head better because it's easier to do stuff where I add in additional ingredients as I mix and then lift the head to scrape the bowl or whatever. Most of my bread doughs are higher hydration, a bowl lift has an advantage over tilt head if you were doing much stiffer doughs.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Tan Thermapen and Super Fast Pocket are on special (79 and 15 respectively).

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

mich posted:

I've had a tilt head for 9 or 10 years that I use extensively - cake, cake fillings and icings, cookies, confections, breads. Never had any issue with it. Some of the newer models may use plastic gears while I think all bowl lift models use metal gears so that's what you need to make sure of. Functionally I like the tilt head better because it's easier to do stuff where I add in additional ingredients as I mix and then lift the head to scrape the bowl or whatever. Most of my bread doughs are higher hydration, a bowl lift has an advantage over tilt head if you were doing much stiffer doughs.

It says "all metal" right in the ebay listing but it isn't clear if that's just the body or if that includes the guts as well so v:shobon:v

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Going with the stovetop waffle iron. Thanks for the suggestions everybuddy.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What do you use to clean stove grates or whatever you call the grate things that go on top of a gas range?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Put them in bags with ammonia. If you google there's lots of info about not killing yourself with it.

What do you use to clean the enameled stovetop? For some reason my nastiest burner is the one where I only boil water. Magic erasers work for normal crud, but not for that one fucker.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Anne Whateley posted:

What do you use to clean the enameled stovetop? For some reason my nastiest burner is the one where I only boil water. Magic erasers work for normal crud, but not for that one fucker.

Boil water, put on mess, wait a minute or two, wipe up with a towel. Repeat as necessary - it works wonders.

If it's really bad, you can soak with a cleaning solution beforehand and it'll soften it up.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Just wanted to check back in and say that I had Amazon delivered me a refurbished Vitamix 5200 on Saturday and I wouldn't know the difference from new.

So far I've made an un-drinkable kale smoothie, powdery almond "butter," and prison-grade applesauce. Plus a bunch of delicious poo poo that was 80% bananas.

Probably picked up about 5 lbs over the weekend so this is all working out splendidly.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

How good is the fibrox paring knife?. Walmsrt has a $35 3-pack, including The One True Cheap 8" Chef's Knife and whatever the gently caress a tomato knife is. Probably serrated.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8034359-victorinox-3-pack-8-fibrox-chef-s-knife-5-serrated-3-paring-30

Seems like an OK deal.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Copper Vein posted:

Just wanted to check back in and say that I had Amazon delivered me a refurbished Vitamix 5200 on Saturday and I wouldn't know the difference from new.

So far I've made an un-drinkable kale smoothie, powdery almond "butter," and prison-grade applesauce. Plus a bunch of delicious poo poo that was 80% bananas.

Probably picked up about 5 lbs over the weekend so this is all working out splendidly.

Keep on processing that almond powder and it'll turn into butter. It turns into nut meal, flour, then butter - the stage between powder and butter is like grainy nut butter. At least, that's how it works in my food processor.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Keep on processing that almond powder and it'll turn into butter. It turns into nut meal, flour, then butter - the stage between powder and butter is like grainy nut butter. At least, that's how it works in my food processor.

According to my research, I didn't have enough almonds in there to keep the blade covered and from sucking in air. I halved the recipe because I can't be trusted with 4 cups of almond butter in the house.

Also I froze my bananas with the peels on. Lot to learn.

There's no blender nerd thread in here is they? Maybe over in the fitness forum?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Are your almonds roasted? Raw nuts don't tend to blend very well.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Anyone interested in a vacuum sealer, Costco's got the v2200 with starter bags for $60. It's the successor to the unit I have, with the improvement of the sealing strip being inside the vacuum zone. Great price on a good unit.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
Been reading some chatter about black/carbon steel pans. Anybody have experience with these? I love my cast iron, but seems like a nice black steel pan could replace it.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

They're the default pan where I work and they're pretty great all-rounders. I'd say they do as good a job of putting color/a sear on things as cast iron does, they respond much quicker when you adjust the flame, but they also don't retain quite as much heat (less heavy, so duh). They work great for any kind of quick saute/sear and they're a lot easier to flip stuff in and generally move around then a big cast iron, so if you don't need the heat retention, they're a great choice.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm looking to replace my current saute pan. I have the popular T-fal with the temperature indicator (which never seemed to actually work). The nonstick coating is pretty much roasted, and the pan has a convex surface, meaning all oils will pool to the sides. I'm not a fan of this pan, man.

I'd like something in the same size and I'm willing to pay up to $50.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Massive posted:

Been reading some chatter about black/carbon steel pans. Anybody have experience with these? I love my cast iron, but seems like a nice black steel pan could replace it.

Inspired by America's Test Kitcken or coincidence?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk

me your dad posted:

I'm looking to replace my current saute pan. I have the popular T-fal with the temperature indicator (which never seemed to actually work). The nonstick coating is pretty much roasted, and the pan has a convex surface, meaning all oils will pool to the sides. I'm not a fan of this pan, man.

Get a cheapo one at (local store) because nonsticks will all eventually fail so why spend more?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

me your dad posted:

The ceramic non sticks last longer and I like them way more. That said I still only paid like £15 for off brand at TK Maxx.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Non-stick is synonymous with disposable

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Properly seasoned carbon steel is just as nonstick as that cheap crap, and isn't going to warp, and will last a lifetime. Get carbon steel people!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Properly seasoned carbon steel is just as nonstick as that cheap crap, and isn't going to warp, and will last a lifetime. Get carbon steel people!

Yeah basically the same goes for cast iron. Carbon steel will heat way faster but cast iron has incredible retention. It's really just about what you want from you pan. Cast iron is great on weak burners because you can preheat them like mad and they'll store enough heat to scorch whatever needs scorching.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ugh thanks to CI that matfer pan sold out and doubled in price

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

me your dad posted:

I've been using a pair of Calphalon nonstick pans for 7 years, I would recommend them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

revdrkevind posted:

Inspired by America's Test Kitcken or coincidence?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk

Inspired yes! Also saw an article posted on Serious Eats... You have experience with them?

• Locked thread