Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They're pretty easy to find if you swing up the west side of the map. They total something like 1000 pounds and are absolutely worthless (scrap value of 0), so don't loot it unless you are cool with whoever carries them being completely immobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Jealous? No? Go frak yourself, Smoothskin...

Lotish posted:

They're pretty easy to find if you swing up the west side of the map. They total something like 1000 pounds and are absolutely worthless (scrap value of 0), so don't loot it unless you are cool with whoever carries them being completely immobile.

I think I'll settle for a screenshot, then.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I casually perused the recent RockPaperShotgun article about Wasteland 2 impressions (of this Early Access beta) and it was filled with bitchy complaints about how incomplete it was and how it certainly wasn't anywhere near the standards of what people expect a beta to be and super buggy and inexcusably buggy and how buggy it is.

rofl.

Videogame journalistsPR personalities.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 19, 2013

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Drifter posted:

I casually perused the recent RockPaperShotgun article about Wasteland 2 impressions (of this Early Access beta) and it was filled with bitchy complaints about how incomplete it was and how it certainly wasn't anywhere near the standards of what people expect a beta to be and super buggy and inexcusably buggy and how buggy it is.

rofl.

Edit - never mind, pointless reply

Rocketeer Korolev fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 19, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
That is a pretty terrible article.

It's really funny about 10 years ago any time anyone encountered a bug in their game (no matter how rare or obscure) someone would rush online to say 'oh I guess we're all beta testers now!' about 5 years ago that changed to 'oh this game is clearly an ALPHA build!' and recently I've seen people call games like Diablo 3 pre-alpha.

Now we have games released that are literally loving labelled as Alpha and Beta and people are still acting all shocked and offended that there's bugs!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

All the GBS threads mocking video gamers are not unwarranted.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
To be fair, when games are being marketed and sold in Alpha/Beta the coverage is going to be different. In a normal preview you can say "I ran into issues x and y but with any luck they'll be cleared up at release", but when a reader can lay down their dollars for that game right now your impressions are going to be more pragmatic and review-like.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rocketeer Korolev posted:

Still has less bugs than Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Not to mention there are too many people with absolute poo poo reading comprehension skills.

What do you mean people who have poo poo reading skills? I think he did enjoy some aspects of the game itself.

Also, you're kidding yourself if you think as it is now Wasteland is in a better state than those other two games. But that's neither here nor there, as this game SHOULD have shittons of problems, especially in beta state, simply by virtue of them not having had the time to focus on sorting through and fixing them all. I was pointing out what a bad article it was, when he was focusing on the issues that a beta by definition has.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Not sure if this has been posted, but remember the story about the E.T. Atari 2600 cartridges buried in the New Mexico desert? Apparently you can find it in Wasteland 2 as a random encounter! I haven't found it myself, but keep a shovel in your party's inventory just in case.

Source: https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/413686424697716736

Yup, found that twice, thought I might be able to throw it at that one museum guy but no such luck :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Drifter posted:

If you value your sanity, don't look at the Steam forums for the game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Oh, Steam Forums are the new Gamefaqs. It;s always terrible.

On another note, I hope InXile are able to figure out whatever was the issue with Expeditions: Conquistadors (it's a pretty darn good game) and their game making my graphics card (nvidia gtx 465) fan run on high continuously. There's literally no reason for my card to run hot on medium/low settings for the entirety of the gametime and the E:C devs were blaming Unity for the issue.

Hopefully it gets resolved before release.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

To be fair, when games are being marketed and sold in Alpha/Beta the coverage is going to be different. In a normal preview you can say "I ran into issues x and y but with any luck they'll be cleared up at release", but when a reader can lay down their dollars for that game right now your impressions are going to be more pragmatic and review-like.

That's a fair judgement but I hope it's clear that Wasteland 2 is being handed out exactly as advertised - a bug-riddled mess with *most* things implemented but not finalized in order to get some feedback on the general flow of the game, its UI and the big picture parts of the experience. We have a few quests, some level advancements and critters to kill to try out combat. It's most definitely a beta release in the old sense, though it might stack up with many alpha releases in terms of stability and show-stopping bugs. No matter, it's not meant for anyone but the craziest/wealthiest of the fans. "Here you go weirdos, play this busted piece of crap and give us your feedback so you feel like you're part of something greater."

Hopefully inXile will pay attention to the big bugs and ignore a lot of the theorycrafting and "this game didn't kick me in the balls hard enough with its difficulty, please fix that."

I think we've gotten used to a very different release cycle where anything coming out as beta was feature-complete, generally bug-free and pretty much ready for market. Post release patching has become the norm.

Hahaha poo poo. I'm gonna stop right now, sperging out about the different meanings of beta releases is the very definition of "poo poo no one cares about". I'm glad I got to play this bug-riddled mess because I think the full game is going to be really really good. It also makes me feel special for being one of the early backers. Thanks for yanking my yardarm, inXile!

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Drifter posted:

making my graphics card (nvidia gtx 465) fan run on high continuously. There's literally no reason for my card to run hot on medium/low settings for the entirety of the gametime and the E:C devs were blaming Unity for the issue.

Hopefully it gets resolved before release.
99% of the time that's an uncapped framerate. Your card is rendering the simple graphics at hundreds of frames per second and overheating.

Amusingly Starcraft 2 melted a few video cards that way because their menus were uncapped.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I did. It's a genuine nightmare.

To their credit, inXile seems to actually be reading them... but I have to wonder if the man hours wasted dealing with Steam user nonsense is worth the extra revenue at this point in the project.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

So I finally decided to install this (originally wanted to wait for the final release), about 2-3 hours in and I'm just wondering, does it get a lot better later on in terms of story or whatever? I really hate the combat which somehow less fun than fallout 2's, and all the characters/quests are really bland so far. I'm willing to slog through it a bit more because it wouldn't be the first RPG of this style that sucked for the first X hours so I'm just wondering what to expect.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Drifter posted:

rofl.

I like how it starts off pretty much saying "how dare they release this beta its buggy!!!"

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Starks posted:

So I finally decided to install this (originally wanted to wait for the final release), about 2-3 hours in and I'm just wondering, does it get a lot better later on in terms of story or whatever? I really hate the combat which somehow less fun than fallout 2's, and all the characters/quests are really bland so far. I'm willing to slog through it a bit more because it wouldn't be the first RPG of this style that sucked for the first X hours so I'm just wondering what to expect.

It is just possible that a guy who hasn't made a game anybody wanted to buy in 20+ years hasn't learned a great deal about his craft, and asking 'the fans' for their input is unlikely to improve it.

If you want to get 15$ worth of nostalgia out of it, then wait till it is done cooking. But it is not ever going to be a "Boy I am glad I spent 60$ on this modern role playing game experience."

I hear things "Explode like a blood sausage" and you can totally find ET cartridges in the desert. Are you not serviced, fan?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Slo-Tek posted:

It is just possible that a guy who hasn't made a game anybody wanted to buy in 20+ years hasn't learned a great deal about his craft, and asking 'the fans' for their input is unlikely to improve it.

If you want to get 15$ worth of nostalgia out of it, then wait till it is done cooking. But it is not ever going to be a "Boy I am glad I spent 60$ on this modern role playing game experience."

I hear things "Explode like a blood sausage" and you can totally find ET cartridges in the desert. Are you not serviced, fan?

This is pretty much the main avenue for failure of Wasteland 2, in my opinion. And I'm discouraged when I see that some mechanics that were grognardy then are still alive today (like grinding perception? really?). But we'll see. Kickstarter is an investment and not all investments pan out.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Slo-Tek posted:

Yeah I see what you're saying and I think you're right. I think I was very mistaken in expecting a modern fallout 1 when really this is reminding me more of something like icewind dale. I'll just wait and see if the final version's more for me.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dibujante posted:

This is pretty much the main avenue for failure of Wasteland 2, in my opinion. And I'm discouraged when I see that some mechanics that were grognardy then are still alive today (like grinding perception? really?). But we'll see. Kickstarter is an investment and not all investments pan out.

Also bear in mind that the devs seem to be listening to their fanbase for what it's worth. On that note, anyone know when the next update's coming out?

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Also bear in mind that the devs seem to be listening to their fanbase for what it's worth. On that note, anyone know when the next update's coming out?

The latest community announcement says in the next few days. It might break your save files, so if you want to keep them, disable auto-updates for the beta.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Starks posted:

Yeah I see what you're saying and I think you're right. I think I was very mistaken in expecting a modern fallout 1 when really this is reminding me more of something like icewind dale. I'll just wait and see if the final version's more for me.

To me, this is the curse of Kickstarter. I don't know a lot about game development and a lot of my ideas are probably not good. And the rest of the internet (especially fans) are no better. Take the NMA crowd's heinous reaction to Bethesda's takeover of the Fallout franchise. Honestly, those games weren't bad. New Vegas was a lot better than FO3, of course. But fans have a tendency to be fundamentalists about everything and it doesn't make for good games.

I just hope Brian Fargo is in actuality less fundamentalist than I've seen so far :(

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Been sick so I put some more time in on the beta. I don't really have any big gripes with story, controls, or mechanics so far. I've beaten some of my guys on purpose to test healing and I find it oddly refreshing healing isn't easy. What I don't understand is that like others have said, you travel long distances in map mode and you seem to heal less than just walking a few yards in regular mode (if at all). Is it a bug? or am I doing something wrong?

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

Darkhold posted:

That is a pretty terrible article.

It's really funny about 10 years ago any time anyone encountered a bug in their game (no matter how rare or obscure) someone would rush online to say 'oh I guess we're all beta testers now!' about 5 years ago that changed to 'oh this game is clearly an ALPHA build!' and recently I've seen people call games like Diablo 3 pre-alpha.

Now we have games released that are literally loving labelled as Alpha and Beta and people are still acting all shocked and offended that there's bugs!

Bugs didn't exist back in the day. Especially on consoles.

FACT

*Begins glitching the hell out of old games*

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

crashdome posted:

Been sick so I put some more time in on the beta. I don't really have any big gripes with story, controls, or mechanics so far. I've beaten some of my guys on purpose to test healing and I find it oddly refreshing healing isn't easy. What I don't understand is that like others have said, you travel long distances in map mode and you seem to heal less than just walking a few yards in regular mode (if at all). Is it a bug? or am I doing something wrong?

It might just be a way to simulate hard marches not being good for health/healing, or simply a mechanic to keep you from regenerating your way through a mushroom cloud rad area.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 20, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Starks posted:

That comparison with Icewind Dale is just bizarre. Icewind Dale wasn't as heavily skill-based as this, had dialogue trees rather than keyboard-based dialogue and was a linear dungeon crawl with almost 0 choices.. none of that seems to match with what I played of Wasteland 2.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

That comparison with Icewind Dale is just bizarre. Icewind Dale wasn't as heavily skill-based as this, had dialogue trees rather than keyboard-based dialogue and was a linear dungeon crawl with almost 0 choices.. none of that seems to match with what I played of Wasteland 2.

Really? I hope that's true, because my biggest fear with this game is that it isn't going to feel as epic and 'open' as something like Fallout 1, and that it's going to feel more on rails and constrained like Shadowrun Returns.

Early impressions seem like the game is really combat heavy and there's not a lot of different things to do in a single area, which might be giving it that Icewind Dale feeling.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

the black husserl posted:

Really? I hope that's true, because my biggest fear with this game is that it isn't going to feel as epic and 'open' as something like Fallout 1, and that it's going to feel more on rails and constrained like Shadowrun Returns.

Early impressions seem like the game is really combat heavy and there's not a lot of different things to do in a single area, which might be giving it that Icewind Dale feeling.

It's difficult to say if it'll feel as open as Fallout from this beta because a lot of locations aren't implemented yet, but the concerns it'll be as pared back as Shadowrun Returns can already be easily put to rest: the maps are far more open, and right off the bat you get a major choice that has immediate consequences. I also think the implementation of the Silent Move skill should help make the game feel less combat focused in the final build, though it'll probably still more combat focused than, say, Fallout 1*.

* For the majority of Fallout 1's players the game would have still been "combat focused", in the sense that it was the major and primary gameplay mechanic

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Maybe they mean IWD2, which had a lot more skill choices, but was still linear as hell?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

the black husserl posted:

I wouldn't worry about it yet. Fargo talked about that in the beta release update.

Brian Fargo posted:

Scope

Because this beta doesn’t include all the Arizona maps, this portion of the game will feel a bit more linear than the full experience will, particularly with the first maps being narrower locations rather than proper hubs. The final game will have a more open feel where you can poke around and check the defenses of higher level areas and perhaps snatch an item or two. So fear not, as there will be more strange areas to discover in the final, and we will be dropping more in throughout this beta phase. In addition, we’ll be adding more quests to each map as well.
Consequences

We all know that the heart and soul of a good RPG is having the player’s actions have consequence, and this is a major focus for us. We have a team of programmers that handle all the scripting for the maps, and most of their efforts at this point involve making pass after pass, adding in more depth to what we already have. This is a combination of adding more places to use skills, more ways to work around situations, and a greater degree of meaningful effect based on what the player has chosen to do. We also need add a greater connectivity between the maps, so your decisions have ripple effects in other areas of the Wasteland.

This will be the greatest area of focus as we analyze your play and listen to your ideas. So PLEASE share your clever ideas so we can turn up the charm and depth.

Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary
Didn't they talk about the full game taking you all the way to California eventually? I'm not in the beta so I don't know too much about what's in the beta but it sounds like its just a slice of the full game.

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Mr. Self Destruct posted:

Didn't they talk about the full game taking you all the way to California eventually? I'm not in the beta so I don't know too much about what's in the beta but it sounds like its just a slice of the full game.

Yes, I believe InXile mentioned you'll be able to go as far as L.A. That could be months away in terms of development time, though.

On the other hand, an update for the beta was just released. 1.5 gigabyte download.

Patch notes link (contains spoilers about half-way down!): http://wastelandrpg.tumblr.com/post/70594572233/wasteland-2-early-beta-build-28904-notes

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

quote:

Removed XP exploit for perception.

Now everybody can stop complaining about that!

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

On the other hand, an update for the beta was just released. 1.5 gigabyte download.

Cool - my saves are still working.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
This patch sucks.

He still has no loot. :mad:

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
Would you stop killing Giebitz already!? Poor guy :(

Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary

Yes, I believe InXile mentioned you'll be able to go as far as L.A. That could be months away in terms of development time, though.

Ok that makes sense. I'm in no rush for them to finish the game, I was just pretty sure that the finished game is going to have a pretty significant scope and that people complaining about the state of the game in the beta are wasting their breath.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Great Rumbler posted:

Now everybody can stop complaining about that!

I wasn't :v: On a more serious note, it doesn't seem like they added any new areas, which is a bit of a bummer.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

CommissarMega posted:

I wasn't :v: On a more serious note, it doesn't seem like they added any new areas, which is a bit of a bummer.

I'd actually be a little surprised if they started dumping new areas into the beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Airfoil posted:

I'd actually be a little surprised if they started dumping new areas into the beta.
We plan to expand the beta with more areas, but that's later in the process, and we'd likely announce it loudly before doing so

• Locked thread