Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Everyone looks like they have the flu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

1st AD posted:

I did some slight desaturation in the red and green channels, I also desaturated the background since the color wasn't consistent from shot to shot.

it looks bad.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

1st AD posted:

This owns, love it.

Thanks!

1st AD posted:

I did some slight desaturation in the red and green channels, I also desaturated the background since the color wasn't consistent from shot to shot.

It looks almost like only the midtones are desaturated, and quite so. Before you mentioned desaturation I thought you'd maybe just flattened out the middle of your curves. Either way it doesn't look very good.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

1st AD posted:

This owns, love it.

So the last weekend I tried doing a couple portraits without photo lighting - CFL's suck and are terrible to use and I'm never doing this again until I get some strobes.

DSC_9578 by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_9549 by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_9564 by chazaraz, on Flickr

In badly colored light, sometimes you just gotta convert to B&W rather than trying fancy curves. Maybe try some LEDs if you are gonna experiment with stills and continuous light. I have some YN300 lights cost me like $60 (sans battery) on Amazon and they work pretty well.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I don't do portraits really, but I had a chance this weekend, so I brought the Posing App with me and dicked around with my reflector a bit.

DSC_8034 by khyrre, on Flickr

DSC_8118 by khyrre, on Flickr

DSC_8142 by khyrre, on Flickr

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I reset all the HSL and other saturation adjustments for a comparison:

DSC_9564 alt by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_9578 alt by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_9549 alt by chazaraz, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I think you might want to calibrate your monitor because the skin colours look really off.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
They've got a HDR'd look to them for some reason, like the dynamic range has been crunched or something.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

They just look like they have mould growing on their faces.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Seriously. Also they look over sharpened as hell, and some highlights may be blown?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
How far to the right did you drag the clarity slider?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Spedman posted:

They've got a HDR'd look to them for some reason, like the dynamic range has been crunched or something.

Yeah, I'm also getting a weird HDR vibe from them.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
It's the body worlds men with the skin still intact.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Throwing my hat in the HDR camp. Also the too-much-sharpening camp.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

They look like they crawled out of a sewer.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
Keep in mind the pictures are fine, it's the processing that looks like slug-trails that is distracting.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

You oversaturated the skintones while at the same time desaturating the shadows, that's the problem.

They also have highlights on their skin indicating sweat/oily skin. This would be fine for a shot of a boxer or athlete, but normal guys just end up looking goony. You'll have to fix that manually with light dodging/burning

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I have some friends who want to start fashion blogs. I know that fashion blogs are fuckin' dime-a-dozen these days and cheesy as all hell for the most part but I think it would still be a fun and good opportunity for me to try something new in terms of photos. Anyone have any examples of fashion photography done well and things I could read up on/look at to get started? Portraits really aren't something I've dabbled in much.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

There's no one way fashion photography should look. Steep yourself in the history (read up on some of the bigger names like Richard Avedon, Helmut Newton, pick up one of those Vogue photo catalogs that haunts every thrift store, etc). It really helps to know what's been done, but it's more about figuring out what in photography (or whatever else) motivates you.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Geektox posted:

I have some friends who want to start fashion blogs. I know that fashion blogs are fuckin' dime-a-dozen these days and cheesy as all hell for the most part but I think it would still be a fun and good opportunity for me to try something new in terms of photos. Anyone have any examples of fashion photography done well and things I could read up on/look at to get started? Portraits really aren't something I've dabbled in much.

This is a good site for inspiration and different photography styles.

http://www.fashioneditorials.com/

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Here's a first set of some portraits I took of some friends last weekend. I was experimenting taking portraits with a wide open aperture, which is something I've never done.

The biggest problems I had were technical: two of the strobes were randomly firing for no reason (radio interference? I should have changed channels in retrospect) and for about half the shots the seamless strobe wasn't firing. The results are some inconsistent lighting, but I'm satisfied with the results overall. The first shot was actually a shot during setup and is my favorite, despite the hosed up collar. I learned a lot, especially with regards to posing while shooting at 35mm(crop sensor)@/F2.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 9, 2015

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Tadesse by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Tade was our fantastic driver (and often guide) for our trip through northern Ethiopia.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Here's a first set of some portraits I took of some friends last weekend. I was experimenting taking portraits with a wide open aperture, which is something I've never done.

The biggest problems I had were technical: two of the strobes were randomly firing for no reason (radio interference? I should have changed channels in retrospect) and for about half the shots the seamless strobe wasn't firing. The results are some inconsistent lighting, but I'm satisfied with the results overall. The first shot was actually a shot during setup and is my favorite, despite the hosed up collar. I learned a lot, especially with regards to posing while shooting at 35mm(crop sensor)@/F2.

I dig them.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I ditched the custom curve and went back to something closer to the original instead of flattening out the image. Thoughts? It's obviously not done yet, but given how unhelpful about 90% of the responses were I don't want to spend time on something obviously lovely.

There is like a green tint in the shadows that I'm guessing is a result of the CFL lighting, is there an easy way to touch this up in Lightroom? In Resolve I am able to just isolate green within a certain luminance range and then desaturate it or push it towards a different color - is there a way to do this in LR?

1st AD fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 10, 2015

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I don't have LR in front of me, but couldn't you do that using the hue modifications (near hue/saturation/lightness) ? That one already looks miles better - the weird grey muddiness near his nose is gone.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
What is going in in the middle of his face where it transitions from light half to dark half? The strange grayish patches, they look like the curve is turning back on itself. They are in the hair also. Are you using the clarity or fill slider at all? Or some kind of skin smoothing/sharpening? Also the eyes seem a bit too vibrant to be natural.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

No smoothing/sharpening, and no clarity or fill.

edit: :doh: I had some masks that I forgot to reset from my first version.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 10, 2015

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That looks a lot less zombiefied than your first attempts

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Fart Car '97 posted:

Wow, just how close did you have to get to them for this?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

psylent posted:

Wow, just how close did you have to get to them for this?

2 feet-ish? It was a 50mm equivalent lens. There is very little cropping. In most I myself was either fully under, or my lens was sticking under, the soft box.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Here's a bunch more of my "Just Finished" runner photos. It was a pretty drat hot and humid day which resulted in some extra sweaty people. The older dude here is 91!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

1st AD posted:

No smoothing/sharpening, and no clarity or fill.

edit: :doh: I had some masks that I forgot to reset from my first version.

still some green in the mids, you can see it in his neckbeard, around his eye sockets, and in the shadow gradient on his forehead

might be better if you desaturate green a bit

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
The problem with desaturating a color is that it ends up grey, which is how he got to the zombie look in the first place. He needs to adjust the hue of green to something more skin toned.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Jesus. What do they look like SOOC?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

dakana posted:

Jesus. What do they look like SOOC?

I was kind of hoping for the raw file so we can all play.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
some random stuff from the last couple of days

each one has its own unique failings as a photograph

IMG_4272.jpg

IMG_4367.jpg

IMG_4781.jpg by kidkissinger, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Olympus Girl by alkanphel, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk