Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

theblastizard posted:

How do we even manage to recruit sailors anyways? Join the Byzantine navy now to get your chance to die when we inevitably sink our navy?

We recruit heavily from mental asylums I believe. Admiral Mad Eyed McGinty swears by the method, admittedly his last naval encounter involved him declaring that the ocean was a great custard monster and then ordering a broadside fired into it. Whereupon he had to be restrained when he tried to blow the ships powder magazine whilst exclaiming about the sea urchin assassins that were out to get him. It was quite the naval victory as the enemy ships were so thoroughly confused by our ships odd actions and erratic manoeuvres that they ran aground on an unmarked reef.

BwenGun fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Had "Byzantium" not turned its back on the great traditions of their proud Roman ancestors, they might have realized that there's more than one way to win a war at sea:

Suetonius - Life of Caligula posted:

Meanwhile he [Caligula] rebuked the absent senate and people in a stern edict because "while Caesar was fighting and exposed to such dangers they were indulging in revels and frequenting the theatres and their pleasant villas."

Finally, as if he intended to bring the war to an end, he drew up a line of battle on the shore of the Ocean, arranging his ballistas and other artillery; and when no one knew or could imagine what he was going to do, he suddenly bade them gather shells and fill their helmets and the folds of their gowns, calling them "spoils from the Ocean, due to the Capitol and Palatine." As a monument of his victory he erected a lofty tower, from which lights were to shine at night to guide the course of ships, as from the Pharos. Then promising the soldiers a gratuity of a hundred denarii each, as if he had shown unprecedented liberality, he said, "Go your way happy; go your way rich."

Then turning his attention to his triumph, in addition to a few captives and deserters from the barbarians he chose all the tallest of the Gauls, and as he expressed it, those who were "worthy of a triumph," as well as some of the chiefs. These he reserved for his parade, compelling them not only to dye their hair red and to let it grow long, but also to learn the language of the Germans and assume barbarian names. He also had the triremes in which he had entered the Ocean carried overland to Rome for the greater part of the way. He wrote besides to his financial agents to prepare for a triumph at the smallest possible cost, but on a grander scale than had ever before been known, since the goods of all were at their disposal.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

BwenGun posted:

We recruit heavily from mental asylums I believe. Admiral Mad Eyed McGinty swears by the method, admittedly his last naval encounter involved him declaring that the ocean was a great custard monster and then ordering a broadside fired into it. Whereupon he had to be restrained when he tried to blow the ships powder magazine whilst exclaiming about the sea urchin assassins that were out to get him. It was quite the naval victory as the enemy ships were so thoroughly confused by our ships odd actions and erratic manoeuvres that they ran aground on an unmarked reef.

So that's how we won that one battle against the French navy.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

theblastizard posted:

How do we even manage to recruit sailors anyways? Join the Byzantine navy now to get your chance to die when we inevitably sink our navy?

I'd guess it is a "job for the desperate" kind of thing. It pays grandly, your family gets your first payment when you leave for battle, and then it keeps paying if you actually manage to succeed and survive. Hence those who desperately need money to feed the family assigns with hopes of being on one of the ships that survives, so that they can provide for them if just for a short while. And even if they drown the navy pays widower's pension to those left behind at home.

Risk your life for the sake of your loved ones. Many a tragedy story is written from the perspective of the widowed husbands and wives of sailors.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
On the other hand, it's a man's (or women's) life in the Roman Army! Beat down the royalists, bloody the french, smash through to Paris and we'll all be drinking fine wine back in Athens by Christmas!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
If France wins, the Hiratine-mad Republicans might finally be ousted and the legacy of Rome reacknowledged. If France loses, we can reclaim more of our patrimony and sweep aside this Byzantine 'rome is dead' nonsense on a wave of nationalist sentiment. I would see us restored to our true name, no matter what it takes. Glory to the Roman republic, true heir to our legacy and torchbearer into the future! Death to the godless, murderous revolutionaries who think they can cast aside our identity!

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

Rincewind posted:

Had "Byzantium" not turned its back on the great traditions of their proud Roman ancestors, they might have realized that there's more than one way to win a war at sea:

Really though, the best Roman naval story is the saga of the sacred chickens.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

AJ_Impy posted:

If France wins, the Hiratine-mad Republicans might finally be ousted and the legacy of Rome reacknowledged. If France loses, we can reclaim more of our patrimony and sweep aside this Byzantine 'rome is dead' nonsense on a wave of nationalist sentiment. I would see us restored to our true name, no matter what it takes. Glory to the Roman republic, true heir to our legacy and torchbearer into the future! Death to the godless, murderous revolutionaries who think they can cast aside our identity!

It France wins the borders will only get uglier.

As a believer in all that is decent in the world, I cannot support such an action. :colbert:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

TheLoquid posted:

Really though, the best Roman naval story is the saga of the sacred chickens.

The problem is that apparently every single one of our admirals has offended the sacred chickens.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

I don't think we've invented this kind of torpedo, but I'm pretty sure this is how our potential recruits see the navy.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I... I can't resist. Rincewind, please make me a naval officer!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

StrifeHira posted:

It France wins the borders will only get uglier.

As a believer in all that is decent in the world, I cannot support such an action. :colbert:

Our borders will remain hideous so long as our maps are blotted in Junoian pastel teal. :colbert:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
If we end up in Hearts of Iron/Darkest Hour, then I hope the Byzantine Navy will commission some films to get recruits excited.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
You know, I'm wondering why our "glories of Rome" thinkers don't just run with the whole Republic business. It strikes me as a fairly intuitive thing to do: just co-op the whole kit and kaboodle as a modern revival of the Roman Republic, push for Republican virtue of yore, just Cato up the place. Sure, there were some bloody executions, but Rome spent centuries executing men who they thought seemed to want to be King. A Republic isn't anymore inherently hostile to the rhetoric than an empire, as long as you know how to work your history.

Of course, this would involve accepting that there's a new system to be spoken from and to, and to co-opt for their own philosophical and governmental standpoint, and that probably answers my wondering. Still, though, I'm surprised no one's using this chance to be the Super Old Romans, even older than the Old Romans.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

D3m3 posted:

You know, I'm wondering why our "glories of Rome" thinkers don't just run with the whole Republic business. It strikes me as a fairly intuitive thing to do: just co-op the whole kit and kaboodle as a modern revival of the Roman Republic, push for Republican virtue of yore, just Cato up the place. Sure, there were some bloody executions, but Rome spent centuries executing men who they thought seemed to want to be King. A Republic isn't anymore inherently hostile to the rhetoric than an empire, as long as you know how to work your history.

Of course, this would involve accepting that there's a new system to be spoken from and to, and to co-opt for their own philosophical and governmental standpoint, and that probably answers my wondering. Still, though, I'm surprised no one's using this chance to be the Super Old Romans, even older than the Old Romans.

Believe me, I'd be delighted with a republic that was true to its heritage and acknowledged its continuity. But these areligious fanatics who would tear down everything in a fit of pique as a sacrifice in the name of novelty, who silence dissent with Hiratines and who support monarchs on the throne of every ally but our own in the rankest of hypocrisies? They are unworthy of control of our state, unworthy to flutter their pale and wan travesty of a flag over our lands, unworthy to wash out thousands of years of who we are, our very identity, beneath their bilious pastel embrace of a name our capital has eschewed since Constantine's time. We are Rome, and we shall never bow to them.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Ah, piss on Rome. Long live the republic!

Also, very thrilled to see this back and updating again.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
How about we compromise?

The Constantinopolitan Republic.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

D3m3 posted:

I will say that this has been my shtick for pretty much half the LP.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
Hm, maybe I have just not been paying enough attention, because I've always noticed a strong imperial bent to the general Rome-based rhetoric, especially now. Eh, well, morning's not a total loss, even if I look a little silly; I got to use the phrase "Cato up the place," which I am sure I will never have a chance to use again.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Patter Song posted:

How about we compromise?

The Constantinopolitan Republic.

Not a bad idea, but let's take it a step further. After all, Constantine named the city as Nova Roma before Constantinopolis became more widely accepted, so as a gesture of reconciliation, let's use the name after their choice and before the more modern name, a true compromise position.

The New Roman Republic.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

Not a bad idea, but let's take it a step further. After all, Constantine named the city as Nova Roma before Constantinopolis became more widely accepted, so as a gesture of reconciliation, let's use the name after their choice and before the more modern name, a true compromise position.

The New Roman Republic.

I just want to say that I am fully behind this proposal.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

D3m3 posted:

Sounds like an excellent Fascist party.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It would be foolish to challenge the true Roman Empire of Rhodes in such a fashion, I say.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Sounds like an excellent Fascist party.

Obviously nobody wants the fascists to actually take control of byzantine but I do hope the movement starts off there in this timeline just so the name makes sense.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Cestrian posted:

Obviously nobody wants the fascists to actually take control of byzantine but I do hope the movement starts off there in this timeline just so the name makes sense.

By far the best-case scenario though is that it starts in Rhodes.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fascism should start in Mann :getin:.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

My greatest request is that we rename Fascism to nearly anything else (Revivalism or Da Ming Dao or Gaulism) if it starts in either Byzantium or Rhodes. Fascism cannot be allowed the dignity of a sensible name.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Tulip posted:

My greatest request is that we rename Fascism to nearly anything else (Revivalism or Da Ming Dao or Gaulism) if it starts in either Byzantium or Rhodes. Fascism cannot be allowed the dignity of a sensible name.

Junoism.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

GSD posted:

Fascism should start in Mann :getin:.

But that's the shoebox where the Habsburgs keep their little pet Pope!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

AJ_Impy posted:

The New Roman Republic.
The Second Roman Republic would actually have been a pretty badass name for the current nation, with a fig leaf to the nation's history while still focusing on the burgeoning republicanism.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rincewind posted:

But that's the shoebox where the Habsburgs keep their little pet Pope!

It is also the truest of True Romes!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Tulip posted:

Filiz I Qutuzid

The unification of several people into one nationality, a belief in the utter authority of the state, a overuse of romanticized symbolism and a dislike and/or hatred of those who don't share their agenda... sounds familiar to some people we know, doesn't it? I think we all know who will lead the 'Fascist' party in Byzantium.

Luhood fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 29, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I don't see what's so bad about a system that emphasizes a uniting culture, a strong state, respect for tradition and a hatred of those who would see Rome humbled??? It's not like this hypothetical system of government has actually been put into practice - why it sounds like it could be a third way between the Absolute Monarchy of France and the Hiratinist Republicans found elsewhere. Sounds like the perfect philosophy for a Rome which has always sought to forge its own path.

Anyway, we've still got like a century before we even have to worry about it - it'll be much more interesting seeing Roman Communists.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

PART 53: Here Comes the Sun King (January 7th 1837 - March 15, 1840)

ALL LODGES OF THE BLACK CHAMBER:
This is Agent Helios.

Russia, Third Rome, has done us quite the favor. Russian Imperial troops will shortly march on the Dunin monarchy, cutting off the spigot of Lithuanian and Hungarian forces currently reinforcing the German front. It is in Germany, therefore, where the Victorians will presently be at their weakest. The "Holy Roman Empire" is not a real empire in any sense of the word, and, indeed, the true Holy Roman Empire (if such a thing can ever be said to have existed) died with the stroke of a headsman's sword when our Royal ancestors had Empress Branwen von Habsburg executed. The British are too far west to reinforce Berlin; the Byzantines are present in force, but we feel that, far from the Republic's borders, their continued presence is unsustainable.

We should note, however, that the weakness the Holy Roman Empire represents within the Victorian League is not merely strategic or military in nature: it lays bare the incoherence of their entire political program. The Victorian League attacks the status quo not because they believe in revolutionary change, but because the current balance of power is unfavorable to them. Elsewhere, revolutionary republics are quick to defend the status quo when they find it advantageous:

"We believe the Germans should be free," say the Victorians. "Furthermore, believe that Germans are most free when corralled into a rump state ruled by a von Habsburg cousin; a latter-day attempt to revive what already was a pale moon reflecting Roman glories long since departed the world, because nationalism is counterrevolutionary."

Far better, far less hypocritical to admit that the Germans should not be free. Does the German peasant care whether the lord who protects him speaks French or German? Would he benefit from the farcical Byzantine notion that lord and peasant are somehow equal? In Byzantium, the constitution says that everyone from the richest captain of industry to the lowliest farmhand or coal-miner is equal before the eyes of the law, with the same rights and responsibilities.

Shouldn't those occupying fundamentally different positions in society have rights and responsibilities appropriate to their station? When a French lord receives title to a factory, he is still feudally obliged to protect his subjects working in it. Not so the Byzantine robber-baron! It is possible to adapt to a changing world without dissolving the feudal bonds with have tied together Europe for centuries.

Scipio Lodge, we want a report on the state of the Southern Front.
-Agent Helios of the Black Chamber

TO AGENT HELIOS
The Byzantines continue to hold the Alps, but their designs on liberating Bavaria-- much less relieving the HRE-- have been put paid to.
-Scipio Lodge

TO AGENT HELIOS
There has been little fighting within the Republic itself.

The newspapers of the major urban centers-- particularly those in Greece and Anatolia, far removed from even the Southern Front-- seem as concerned with wars in China, Hindustan, and Korea as they do with the Victorian League.

The National Assembly's main concern re: the Victorian League is their own position within it relative to the other members.

-Croseus Lodge

TO AGENT HELIOS
French troops are gradually overwhelming the remaining Byzantine, Dunin, and Habsburg forces all along the German front.

The Byzantines remain dominant in the southern theater, however.

The world at large still sees the Victorians as winning the war, and the Byzantines have accordingly further expanded their war-goals. Tellingly, they have called for the release of French to Tirol to Austrian rule-- clearly, they have little faith in being able to relieve northern Germany and chose something they see as much more readily attainable.

The other allies likewise have done their best to transform fait accomplis into cassus belli.

The Byzantines must be worried, however-- they left the Crimean Republic to fend for itself against the Byzantines' traditional enemies in Da Qin and Asitelahan.
-Brennus Lodge

TO ALL LODGES OF THE BLACK CHAMBER:
On the ground, we recognize that the war might be difficult to follow, fought as it is across the greater part of a continent. Accordingly, we will provide you with a Versailles-eye view of the various fronts c. the summer of 1837. Please adjust your operations accordingly.

The Byzantines remain strong in the southern front, but there are enough French troops in the region to keep them confined to defending their borders and the territory they've occupied in Tirol.

The Lai Ang advance across the Pyrenees has stalled. We have dispatched more troops to the Western Front to drive the heathens back to Iberia.

Regrettably, the early naval setbacks suffered by the Victorians proved ephemeral, and the northern front is now characterized by total Byzantine-British control of the Channel and British landings in northern France.

With the Victorians being pushed back on all sides, the eastern and German fronts have merged into a single disorganized mass of remnant forces rapidly being dismantled by our own armies. We will note, however, the tenacity of the Dunin forces, which remain on the front even as the Russians ravage the eastern frontiers of their liege-lady's lands.

Our primary goal is to prolong the war as long as possible. We recognize, that with so much of the fighting taking place on French soil, it our people who will bear the brunt of this stratagem.

But with every victory...

...or even every costly defeat...

...our advantages in resources, industry, and manpower vis-à-vis the Victorians are magnified.
-Agent Helios

TO AGENT HELIOS:
So much for the vaunted independence of Byzantium's client "republics".

The Byzantines are so desperate for reinforcements to hold Tirol and the Alps that they've placed the armies of the Iranian Republic under Byzantine officers and sent them marching north.

Having a vassal is one thing. Insisting that your vassal is a free and equal partner is just crass.

I assume they'll pay the price for their cavalier attitude towards the relations of lieges and subjects shortly, now that French troops are no longer needed on the German front.

Pity about Poland, but they weren't exactly pulling their own weight, were they?

On the balance of it, though, we're doing better than we were just a few months ago.
-Croesus Lodge

TO CROESUS LODGE:
Believe us when we say we appreciate your desire for swift vengeance against your former countrymen, Croesus Lodge. However, it is our firm opinion that the hammer must fall on Lai Ang first.

The other monarchs of Europe are growing increasingly skeptical of the British and Byzantines' mad scheme to rearrange the face of European politics along liberal lines.

All revolutions inevitably devour their own young.

It should be proven beyond a doubt that any right-thinking and rightfully-crowned monarch backing the revolutionaries does so at their own peril.

The de Leóns have ruled Iberia for centuries. We are confident that, in time, Sultan Lan II de León will see reason and acede to the prior balance of power.

The Byzantines are growing increasingly desperate-- readily abandoning their frontlines whenever they sense the prospect of an easy victory.

They're hoping to convince the British to declare the war won and make an honorable peace, you see.

We are not pleased with what happened at Chur, of course. However, we have urged our generals to be aware of how easily baited the Byzantines are in their present aggressive footing.
-Agent Helios

TO SUNSET LODGE:
Be advised that a sizable Byzantine-Iranian force under General Timotheos Helladid is marching west in an attempt to relieve the Lai Ang.
-Scipio Lodge

General Timotheos Helladid, commander of Byzantine forces on the western front

TO SCIPIO LODGE:
Thank you for the warning; however, it seems that a long overland march did half the work in defeating this army for us.
-Sunset Lodge

TO SUNSET LODGE:
Take care. Byzantium is stronger than you can know. While the other members of the League falter, Byzantium is steadfast. The future of the Continent will be a struggle between Byzantium and France.

I have it reliable authority that many Byzantine armies remain on the field in theaters where we had thought the Victorians entirely defeated.

Helladid reportedly runs rampant behind our lines, disrupting our every attempt to reinforce the western front.

Meanwhile, General Gerasimos Spyromilios commands an impregnable Alpine fortress.

If you doubt my assessment, I suggest you take it up with Jean-François Lyautey, Marquis de Bonac.
-Scipio Lodge

TO SCIPIO LODGE AND SUNSET LODGE:
Helladid is doubtlessly no match for for the sum of our forces in Iberia, but he is adept at find weak points in our lines and coming down hard on them.

And every victory he wins tilts the war further in the Victorians' favor.

Sunset Lodge, we want you to stress at the generals you have access to that destroying Helladid is of the utmost importance.

Scipio Lodge, Spyromilios and his colleagues are gradually bleeding us dry in the south, hampering any effort to consolidate our forces there. Your responsibility is to assess Byzantine strength in the region. Are there reserves lying it wait south of the border, ready to spring on any reinforcements moved in from other fronts? Or are Spyromilios and Danglis presiding over a one-dimensional picket?
-Agent Helios

TO AGENT HELIOS:
Far be it my place to question your judgement, but... well, that's exactly what I'm about to do. Are you sure you aren't overstating the importance of this Helladid? He's not even in overall command of the front! Isabella Valdez of Lai Ang outranks him.

Regardless, we're confident that the remaining Victorian forces on this front will eventually be encircled and destroyed. The reason that they're making so many attacks of opportunity on comparatively weak targets is because they consider themselves unable to engage with our main armies.
-Sunset Lodge

TO AGENT HELIOS:
My sources within the Byzantine military leave much to be desired; however, by every indication Byzantium has significant forces at its disposal. The politicians in Constantinople are supremely confident, and have spent much of their time drawing up plans for a Byzantine-led European order on their napkins.

I will note that the "subordinate" Helladid separated his forces from Valdez's and handily defeated our general Joséphine-Félicité Bonaparte, comtesse de Ségur.

Spyromilios defies the Marquis de Bonac at every turn; the snows of the Alps run red with French blood.

Could it be true? Could the old order be crumbling? I shudder at the thought.

Will the conquered subjects of Byzantium fall spellbound to liberal delusions?

France is the glorious sun of Europe. But even the sun can be eclipsed by the moon.
-Scipio Lodge

TO AGENT HELIOS:
Helladid has "advanced deep into the French interior" in order to "disrupt French supply lines".

Which is to say, he has abandoned the Lai Ang armies he was sent to relieve and retreated far away from any major fighting.

Our generals tell me they'll mop him up after they've destroyed Valdez.

I would like to politely request that my noble colleagues in Scipio Lodge quit trying to read the future of the Near West in Asian tea-leaves.

Or have they simply forgotten who holds Japan's leash?
-Sunset Lodge

TO AGENT HELIOS:
I am pleased that the good comtesse de Ségur, having utterly failed to defeat Timotheos Helladid, who even now runs rampant deep in the French heartland, has followed up that triumph by being routed by Spyromilios.

Certainly, attrition is taking its toll-- every small French army Spyromilios routs depletes his own numbers.

But how many Byzantine troops lurk behind the frontier, ready to spring into action to reinforce him?

Intelligence is still preliminary, but I estimate it as "a lot".

The Somalian Republic seems to believe that the wind is blowing inevitably Constantinople-wards. They will not intervene in our present conflict, of course. But shouldn't we be concerned that the Republic is already assembling allies for their next war against us?

And with their research into battlefield medicine, Byzantine doctors now regularly work miracles on the wounded and maimed. Casualties who would be left for dead by any other European power might be back on their feet and fighting again in a matter of days!
-Scipio Lodge

TO AGENT HELIOS:
I know we're all extremely concerned about the war and all, but you should know that Scandinavia-- already facing an attack from Russia-- has now fallen victim to renewed Holy Roman expansionism.

This is concerning for two reasons: First, it indicates that the Holy Roman Empire remains belligerently committed to upturning the balance of power on the continent and thereby damning us all to a century of war and disorder. Second, it indicates that only slightly over a year after horrendous setbacks at the hands of France it is already capable of fielding a sizable army again.
-Croesus Lodge

TO SCIPIO LODGE:
We are making every effort to defeat Spyromilios. Please keep me informed of any relevant intelligence. It is absolutely imperative that we learn everything we can about the size and disposition of Byzantine forces within the Republics' frontiers.

You are right in your assessment of Spyromilios as a canny foe. He has become adept at avoiding any battle in which he might conceivably be outnumbered.

Gradually, however, we are whittling him down. This is the last major front of the war; we can disassemble his army at our leisure.
-Agent Helios

TO AGENT HELIOS:
Can we? Can we? How many of your subjects will die for the sake of a "war of attrition"? Can you, who wrote so movingly of the obligation and responsibility a liege-lord has to even the least of his subjects, countenance the massacre of good French soldiers in an alpine battlefield?

Certainly we have a great many more soldiers at our disposal than the Republic does (and by this point the contributions of the remaining other members of the Victorian League are negligible, with the exception of the British navy's continuing blockade of our ports). Lai Ang has been pushed south of the Pyrenees, where they belong. Austria and the Holy Roman Empire are out of the war. The corpse of the Dunin monarchy is being picked clean by Russia, Third Rome. And while the British still control the Channel, their attempts to turn that into an invasion of northern France have been a dismal failure, even with the aid of what's left of Helladid's army.

But as we've discovered, the Byzantine army is very hard to kill.

And they're getting better and better at killing us.
-Scipio Lodge

TO AGENT HELIOS:
I urge you to reject Scipio Lodge's histrionics. Spyromilios is a somewhat impressive general, but aggressive-- reckless-- easily baited out of his Alpine hiding place, easily tricked into overextending himself.

I urge you make Scipio lodge obsolete as soon as convenient.
-Sunset Lodge

TO SUNSET LODGE AND SCIPIO LODGE:
There is a natural order to the world which will always reassert itself.

The Ayiti Federation in Avalon, France in Europe, Somalia in Africa, China in Asia. These continental hegemons have reigned supreme for time immemorial. The likes of Byzantium, Britain, and Lai Ang shall soon find that there is no place for them among the rulers of Europe, as the Hindustanis learned when they sought to challenge China for supremacy over Asia.

However, we have no inclination to make anyone obsolete. We are not Alexios V— our advisors should not fear to speak their minds. We are their king, and they are bound to follow our will once we have taken our decision— but if we did not want their input we would not request it of them.

In this case, however, Sunset Lodge was entirely right. Spyromilios walked straight into the jaws of a trap.

After depleting his ranks, we left an opening for him to advance:

And advance he did.

Of what use are expensive new rifles when there are no men and women left to fire them?

Can Byzantine doctors raise the dead? We think not.

Nonetheless, we should capitalize on the destruction of Spyromilios' army as soon as we can. We have ordered our generals to invade northern Italy before the Byzantines can regroup.
-Agent Helios

TO AGENT HELIOS:
Truly, God is on our side— for not only has He seen fit to grant our armies victory on the field of battle, but he has struck down our hated enemy, the Byzantine President Turhan Toraman.

His Vice President has assumed office in his stead.

Evgenia Kasdaglis, Seventh President of The Byzantine Republic
Inaugurated November 1st, 1839

The Julians

I do not envy Kasdaglis in the least-- the National Assembly is holding elections with the Alps in French hands and nothing between us and the soft underbelly of the Republic save 22 demoralized regiments-- the shattered remnants of Spyromilios's army.

The Byzantine people tire of war— perhaps they shall soon realize that revolution is nothing more than perpetual war.
-Sunset Lodge

TO SUNSET LODGE:
Are you sure it was 22 divisions?
-Croesus Lodge

TO AGENT HELIOS:
They're calling it "the Miracle at Bozen"-- Spyromilios' army patched back together by brave citizen volunteers replacing the dead and ingenious military doctors healing the wounded. You should have seen the Marquis de Bonac's face as they all hove into view. As if so godless a people can have "miracles"!

Doubtlessly your generals, ministers, et al are urging you to press the attack-- commit more troops, for if you throw enough troops into the maw you will eventually overwhelm the devil Spyromilios through numbers alone.

Perhaps.

But think about this: the Revolutionary Army of General Gerasimos Spyromilios is currently composed of some 40,000 soldiers-- 22,000 infantry, 6,000 horse, 12,000 artillerymen. Mere months ago, they numbered barely over half that, and had last been seen fleeing south of the Alps in disarray. Think about a state capable of the feats of logistics necessary to accomplish this feat.

Now think about how vast the Byzantine Republic and its client republics are. Think about how many more such armies likely wait in the myriad fortresses and army camps of Greece, Anatolia, Italy, Azerbaijan, Persia. You have charged me with determining the precise size and disposition of Byzantine reserves behind their lines.

The Revolutionary Army is only a fraction of total Byzantine strength. I have reliable intelligence from my best sub-agents indicating a total Byzantine army comprised of over 150,000 soldiers.

What's more, only a relatively small part of the Byzantine population is mobilized.

If the situation became truly dire, the Byzantines would be able to support an army twice the size of their present one.

I urge you to conclude an honorable peace with Great Britain while you still can; I doubt the Byzantines will be as forgiving should leadership of the Victorian League ever pass to them.
-Scipio Lodge

WORLD MAP, MARCH 5th, 1840

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Bloody hell. I would have probably cut and run somewhere halfway through that update.

Were the likes of Helladid and Spyromilios particularly excellent generals (talking about their stats, that is) or did they just happen to be the ones that ended up being in the most important conflicts?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

TheMcD posted:

Bloody hell. I would have probably cut and run somewhere halfway through that update.

Were the likes of Helladid and Spyromilios particularly excellent generals (talking about their stats, that is) or did they just happen to be the ones that ended up being in the most important conflicts?

They just happened to be the most visible, since in this update things collapsed enough that I only had two armies of note anywhere (and numerous smaller armies around them I sent to reinforce them with in battles).

It's been like a zillion years since I actually played this, so I'm not sure, but I remember Spyromilios actually being one of my best generals, but Helladid being pretty bad.

It was pretty funny that out of like the 60 or some European general portraits there are in the game that I replaced, the two most visible generals in the update got those two portraits.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 29, 2014

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

quote:

:psyduck:

What on earth happened?

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Krysmphoenix posted:

:psyduck:

What on earth happened?

Confused French peasants in the army fired at what they thought was the enemy but it turned out it was just another French army.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Good update, Rincewind. :golfclap:

I was genuinely hooked to see whether or not the Byzantines would win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Good update, Rincewind. :golfclap:

I was genuinely hooked to see whether or not the Byzantines would win.

Filiz I Qutuzid

Why of course we would! Did you ever think the brave Soldiers of Liberty would fall to the Sun King? Nonsense!

• Locked thread