Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

1978 ~ 2023

Dewgy posted:

The timer was a big fakeout anyway, you were never meant to beat Dead Rising in a single run, and upgrades carry over between playthroughs. Once Frank has a few speed upgrades unlocked the timer’s essentially meaningless.

Yeah it’s definitely just a weird psychological block I have when faced with time limits tbh.

If it’s just a regular “throw yourself at it until your incremental upgrades push you through the barrier” thing I can get into it but put a clock on there and I just end up finding it stressful, and I don’t play games to get stressed the gently caress out I get my fill of that elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I always felt dead rising's biggest contribution to gaming was the trophy that required you to kill something like 50,000 zombies that a bunch of other games then riffed on

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

haveblue posted:

I always felt dead rising's biggest contribution to gaming was the trophy that required you to kill something like 50,000 zombies that a bunch of other games then riffed on

It was the real-life population of the town the game was set in, lmao

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

I mostly remember it for the achievement that required you to leave your console on for like 10 solid hours and people ended up overheating their X-Box 360s.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

just driving back and forth through that tunnel trying to get that to pop.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I thought DR3 was fine, though it definitely helps to play on Nightmare mode which makes it a little more in the vein of the first two. 4 was certainly a game I played.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://blog.playstation.com/2024/06/26/playstation-plus-monthly-games-for-july-borderlands-3-nhl-24-among-us/?sf273718825=1

Borderlands 3, Among Us, NHL 24 free on Plus in July. Also some Genshin Impact stuff

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Arist posted:

https://x.com/Wario64/status/1805981440309338544?t=ei1qlV93tmkTBYJWcibIUg&s=19

They're remaking Dead Rising!

Now just make a new one! With a timer!

Da gently caress. Is there a capcom presentation?

Remaster tells me its 1:1 rather than a full remake. Just new graphics

Edit: oh new frank voice. Trash it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
New frank looks like scrotus from furiosa

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Frank reminds me of the senator from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Borderlands 3 was free on psn+ very recently, odd that it went down and back up again. The cynic in me thinks Sony is just padding now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He looks like one of the GTA V dudes now

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Borderlands 3 was free on psn+ very recently, odd that it went down and back up again. The cynic in me thinks Sony is just padding now

I was going to ask if it was previously on there because I own it and know I didn't buy it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Paying2Lurk posted:

Timers are good.

Dead Rising
Final Fantasy 13-3
Super Mario Bros.

Case closed.

Majoras Mask

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

I have been a fighting game fan my whole life and I've not seen any lingering love for virtua fighter. That said my local area only really played king of fighters and Capcom if they had a good one out. Like if you asked me if virtua fighter is more popular than doa I'd say no.

Depends on how old you are, I guess. The height of VF market penetration was in the early 00s :corsair: smack dab in the middle of the major decline of the genre, the series has seen only a few special editions of that final build in the last 20 years. I guess even back then VF was seen as a bit too mechanically demanding to break through to larger audiences, which I still think is unfair even if it is a case study for genre specialization. It's more accurate to say that it just barely missed out on the new FG audiences that emerged after Street Fighter 4.

But we now live in a reality where MVC2 and Fatal Fury are relevant again, so let's gooooooo

JBP posted:

E: like I guess I find it funny that sf6, kofxv and Tekken 8 are sleepers then virtual fighter of all things is we're so back lmao

Oh, yeah I'm not trying to be a prick or anything, there are a ton of good fighters on the market more than ever before really, it's just VF got into me in a way that other series in the genre never really managed, at the height of my high-school brain's ability to absorb meticulous FG mechanics. I've played numerous other fighters since VF5 but I'm just not that good anymore. I'm old! The series sort of faded into obscurity because it wouldn't compromise on its core mechanics, but on the other hand it also never released a single bad entry. So I'd be really interested to see if VF6 came out and continued that legacy but had online play with rollback netcode...would the broader community embrace or reject it. :peanut:

fridge corn posted:

Doa2 hardcore was one of the best fighting games I've ever played yes I mained kasumi why do you ask

I loved DOA2H, game was definitely the most accessible fighter that ever caught on with my friends and I.

I also loved how it handled player data/controller profiles and tag matches.

fun fact

I owned a copy of DOA2H and an 8MB memory card before I even owned a PS2 console. I used to take the game to friend's houses and use theirs and I distinctly remember saying to myself when I bought DOA "well, now I own a game...so I'm required to get a console" I'd never even held down a job yet lmao

I also did this same thing for VF5 and the PS3 lol but by that point I had to take up a second job to please Kutaragi-san

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 26, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

A less cynical reason might be that it was supposed to be something else but a deal fell through and they just swapped in the game they could get clearance for the fastest. I don't know what's actually involved with listing a game on Plus but you'd think the publisher or dev would have to grant approval, right?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

Tackle reality head-on.
Never stop livin'.

VF was always considered the "boring" fighting game. The SFs had meters and flashy supers, Tekken had hit sparks and the crazy movement, MK had the blood. VF "only" had the fighting, but lordy if you like the fighting there's nothing else like it. I remember posting on VFDC, daydreaming about traveling to Japanese arcades to learn from the chain-smoking VF gurus of yore.

Anyway, these days VF5 is probably easier to learn than Tekken 7 or 8.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'd sooner think that Gearbox pushed for its inclusion to goose interest what with the movie coming out a week into August.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Paying2Lurk posted:

VF was always considered the "boring" fighting game. The SFs had meters and flashy supers, Tekken had hit sparks and the crazy movement, MK had the blood. VF "only" had the fighting, but lordy if you like the fighting there's nothing else like it. I remember posting on VFDC, daydreaming about traveling to Japanese arcades to learn from the chain-smoking VF gurus of yore.

Anyway, these days VF5 is probably easier to learn than Tekken 7 or 8.

what up VFDC was a hangout for me as well, incredible resource

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dewgy posted:

The timer was a big fakeout anyway, you were never meant to beat Dead Rising in a single run, and upgrades carry over between playthroughs. Once Frank has a few speed upgrades unlocked the timer’s essentially meaningless.

I can't wait for Vampire Survivors to get ported to Playstation and cause people to stress themselves bald over the timer hanging over their head in that game too.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Fix posted:

I'd sooner think that Gearbox pushed for its inclusion to goose interest what with the movie coming out a week into August.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1799201436263178632

I didn't have high hopes in the first place but it looks even worse than I was expecting

Kevin Hart being cast as Roland the stoic ex-soldier is still a choice that baffles me, too.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

God drat! That's dire.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

Tackle reality head-on.
Never stop livin'.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

what up VFDC was a hangout for me as well, incredible resource

Hah. I tried to remember my account info there too when VF5US came out. Couldn't do it there either, but was too lazy to make a new one. Unlike here.

VFDC, Sega Blast City, and SA were my post-Usenet haunts.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I made it about 15 minutes into whichever Borderlands game was free on PSN forever ago and the shooting was so limp I discarded it immediately

Like I assumed the reason it was so popular was that despite the grating humor and kinda ugly style it must have felt good to play but it didn't even have that

A truly baffling series

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1799201436263178632

I didn't have high hopes in the first place but it looks even worse than I was expecting

Kevin Hart being cast as Roland the stoic ex-soldier is still a choice that baffles me, too.

I don't miss early 2000's CGI but drat do I miss environments being lit brighter than a Resident Evil room post 2 Remake.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Wolfsheim posted:

I made it about 15 minutes into whichever Borderlands game was free on PSN forever ago and the shooting was so limp I discarded it immediately

Like I assumed the reason it was so popular was that despite the grating humor and kinda ugly style it must have felt good to play but it didn't even have that

A truly baffling series

It's fun in co-op but then again the same game but good would be even more fun in co-op.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Borderlands 3 does have massively improved gunfeel over 2, at least

It was popular because of the grating humor and because of number go up

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

Tackle reality head-on.
Never stop livin'.

Wolfsheim posted:

A truly baffling series

I think the first one got a lot of mileage out of being colorful during the times of brown and gray, had a decent enough "number go up" hook, and had full online co-op before it was common. Or more common anyway. But yeah, I've tried to get into 1 and 2 a few times each and they're a big whatever.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

New frank looks like scrotus from furiosa

lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Paying2Lurk posted:

I think the first one got a lot of mileage out of being colorful during the times of brown and gray, had a decent enough "number go up" hook, and had full online co-op before it was common. Or more common anyway. But yeah, I've tried to get into 1 and 2 a few times each and they're a big whatever.

most of the levels in borderlands are brown trash piles, it was definitely not the color thing. it's just that combining a FPS with the Diablo loot system is just kind of going to be successful

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
3 is a good game in spite of its characters and writing. I really enjoyed the time I spent with it

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

3 is a good game in spite of its characters and writing. I really enjoyed the time I spent with it

Yeah I had a lot of fun with it but it grated on me for repeat playthroughs with how often missions, both main and side, had you just stand around and wait for dialogue to finish before you could do the next step. And the writing and characters aren't really compelling enough to encourage that after hearing it all once.

I've replayed 2 a lot (over 20 playthroughs counting NG+s, it's a comfort game when nothing else has my attention and it's great for when I want to watch a show/podcast) and one thing that keeps me coming back to it over TPS and 3 is how it doesn't do that. You can skip whole monologues with the right triggers, it rules. TPS only has one thing I think it does better and that's skill trees.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah it’s definitely just a weird psychological block I have when faced with time limits tbh.

If it’s just a regular “throw yourself at it until your incremental upgrades push you through the barrier” thing I can get into it but put a clock on there and I just end up finding it stressful, and I don’t play games to get stressed the gently caress out I get my fill of that elsewhere.

I hate timed poo poo, too, even if the game is catered to it. Maybe have bonuses tied to timed events but not auto fail the mission would be compromise idk.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:kiss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPdOvElpZ1U

august shaping up to be rad

:peanut::peanut::peanut::peanut: immediately followed by Astro Bot :peanut::peanut::peanut::peanut:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I wasn't knocking it's great that people are getting into fighting games! I reckon it was just that VF never really took off locally and my FG heyday was 1997-2005. A teenager that hung out at the local video shop taught me to play SF2 on the cabinet there when I was like ten.

I really miss arcades. We had an impromptu local every Sunday (simply called "Sunday") at Timezone.

I'm so pleased with SF6. Feels like playing SF3 again, which was the last game I really enjoyed. KoF'98 will always be the goat for me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not interested unless the drill lets him control a colossal robot

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

has there been any news on the remakes of ff:tactics or ffix since the one dude 'confirmed' them?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 27, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

I'm so pleased with SF6. Feels like playing SF3 again, which was the last game I really enjoyed. KoF'98 will always be the goat for me.

Was listening to Game Mess last week and yeah I totally perked up when Jeff Grubb said that SF3(ts) is straight up the best looking game ever made, it was such a refreshing opinion to hear in 2024, it made me remember how much the rather expensive, passionate sprite artwork of the late 90s was taken for granted as 3D became the norm. We'll never get that stuff back in the mainstream cultural lexicon in the same way that it once was, but I'll be happy enough if more 2D games circa '98-2002 are restored with care and made widely available.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

That's a good take, the sprite quality and quantity of later 2D arcade games is unreal. I remember seeing SF3 cabinets start to show up and it wowed me to a degree that wasn't matched until like the most recent Guilty Gear. You can play any random Neo Geo game and it'll look dated but also luxurious, it's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
More like Crapstro Thot