Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Losers in 6, 6-4
Landers in 5, 4-3

Jobbers and Pandas advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pick 'em: The Pandas can never die!
Pick Two!
Canton Catastrophes
Jacksonville Jaguars Jobbers Jaguars
Omaha Forgettables
Sad Pandas

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Pick Two!
Canton Catastrophes
Omaha Forgettables
Sad Pandas

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
:siren: Pick Em Scores Update :siren:

A sure fire to get your score messed up is to change your forums username in the middle of this contest. Also, GVOLTT was the only player to correctly pick both the Pandas and Catastrophes, but most of you got the Pandas, so it wasn't a big deal.

By my count, we now have 4 Gauntlet updates and at least 3 playoff updates remaining, which means a total of 58 points are still in play. Nothing is certain yet.

pre:
Owner	               Score
Zodiac5000	        37
mks5000	                25
Robert_Deadford	        24
kw0134	                21
mentholmoose	        21
Beet	                20
GVOLTT	                18
oldskool	        18
Monicro	                17
CaptainYesterday	14
FairGame	        12
Chilly McFreeze	        10
Revenant Threshold	10
alpha_destroy	         6
TheFlyingLlama	         6
factorialite	         4
tatankatonk	         4

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
I have a feeling that if the Pandas don't get relegated they may upset the league with their new stadium. It's certainly effective although I can't put my finger on why since I have no idea how a stadium affects things this much.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

It's the altitude. Stadiums in BBM are actually effected by how how far they are away from sea level (which is based on the city, which is usually custom in the case of Super-League teams). The higher you go, the thinner the air, the wonkier pitching gets, and the higher the dinger count goes. Which is why every team has around a 5+ ERA and Albert Pujols hit 20 HR in twice as many games.

At least that's the general theory. I don't have the hard numbers.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 9, 2013

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Pick Two!
Omaha Forgettables
Sad Pandas

Seriously. Panda Magic.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Monathin posted:

It's the altitude. Stadiums in BBM are actually effected by how how far they are away from sea level (which is based on the city, which is usually custom in the case of Super-League teams). The higher you go, the thinner the air, the wonkier pitching gets, and the higher the dinger count goes. Which is why every team has around a 5+ ERA and Albert Pujols hit 20 HR in twice as many games.

At least that's the general theory. I don't have the hard numbers.

I also brought in the RF walls pretty severely for a LH-dominant lineup. Of course, that doesn't explain righty Albert Pujols treating the 400-ish left-center wall as his personal kiddy pool, unless his ability to hit to all fields is accounted for (which would result in a HR/FB ratio that's gotta be pretty obscene).

It's not just the homers though, my team's averaging over .310 pretty consistently, and even the guys without much power are hitting real well.

This seems to work great for Gauntlet durations against mediocre competition, but I'm pretty sure all the playoff teams would murder me in my own home over a full season. My pitching is just not bad enough to lose it all for me, but a couple of injuries would result in BP for my opponents.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Welp, it was a decent run. Never could get consistent pitching, though. And somehow Babe Adams was my best pitcher. Next time: No goddamn deadballers.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
I'll take the Spooners obit.

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Who's ready for some hot and heavy sect?

Owner: UZWorm
Home Grounds: Coors Field

Teams Used
1908 White Sox
1923 Detroit Tigers
1979 Kansas City Royals
1996 Colorado Rockies

Past Records
Expansion Cup VII
82-80, 4th Place, Non-Existents Division
Super-League VIII
96-76, 2nd Place, Sic Transit Vir Division

‘Tis true, Idoloclastes UZworm!
(So call him, for so mingling blame with praise,
And ill-advised trades with anxious crooks, his earliest friends,
Masking his deficiencies, wont to character
His wild-wood fancy and impetuous zeal,)
‘Tis true that, passionate for ancient glory
And honouring with love the Super-League
Of the elder times, he hated to excess
With a quiet (he stopped posting) scorn,
The hollow owners of a hollow League,
Ever covetous, and changing over
It’s worthless belts! Pitching, Hitting, and Defense
(Not enough of any) thus wasting in vain Cobb
Of fervid OBP. Sickness, ‘tis true
Whole weeks of poor starting pitching brought on by a weak infield defense, besieged him close,
Even to the gates and inlets of his life!
But it is true, no less, that strenuous, firm,
And with a natural gladness, he maintained
A flawed roster oft-altered, and in joy
Was strong enough to finish well in Gauntlet range.
For not a hidden path, that to the playoffs
Of the beloved Marauderian forest leads,
Lurked undiscovered by UZWorm; not a rill
There issues from the fount of Sic Transit Vir
But he had traced it upwards to it’s source,
Through open glade, dark glen, and secret dell
Knew the Pedro Martinezes and Johan Santanas,
And culled it’s tradeable pitchers. Yea, oft alone,
Piercing the long-neglected Holy Trade,
The haunt obscure of 1922 Pete Alexander,
He bade with lifted torch it’s starry walls
Sparkle, as erst they they sparkled to the flame
Of odorous lamps not tended by it’s Superleague owner
O framed for calmer times and nobler hearts!
O studious Swindler, eloquent for Ruth!
UZWorm! Contemning wealth and a solidly built Superleague team
Yet docile, childlike and once full of Life and Love!
Here, rather than in SLX
This record of thy worth thy Friend describes
Thoughtful, with quiet tears upon his cheek.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

gardenald posted:

Welp, it was a decent run. Never could get consistent pitching, though. And somehow Babe Adams was my best pitcher. Next time: No goddamn deadballers.

Babe Adams was a legitimately excellent pitcher, but that aside he is:

• Second all time for post 1901 pitchers on BB/9.
  • 15th all time for post 1901 pitchers on WHIP
  • In the top 150 pitchers of all time on least home runs per 9 IP

He did this in a long career stretching into the live ball era. I'm not surprised he was consistently excellent for you! That's the sort of pitcher you want in the SL imho.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
Geez, you stop posting in the Baseball Mogul thread for a month and all of a sudden your team gets relegated.

See, it really was my magical presence keeping them at .500!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

factorialite posted:

Who's ready for some hot and heavy sect?

Owner: UZWorm
Home Grounds: Coors Field

Teams Used
1908 White Sox
1923 Detroit Tigers
1979 Kansas City Royals
1996 Colorado Rockies

Past Records
Expansion Cup VII
82-80, 4th Place, Non-Existents Division
Super-League VIII
96-76, 2nd Place, Sic Transit Vir Division

‘Tis true, Idoloclastes UZworm!
(So call him, for so mingling blame with praise,
And ill-advised trades with anxious crooks, his earliest friends,
Masking his deficiencies, wont to character
His wild-wood fancy and impetuous zeal,)
‘Tis true that, passionate for ancient glory
And honouring with love the Super-League
Of the elder times, he hated to excess
With a quiet (he stopped posting) scorn,
The hollow owners of a hollow League,
Ever covetous, and changing over
It’s worthless belts! Pitching, Hitting, and Defense
(Not enough of any) thus wasting in vain Cobb
Of fervid OBP. Sickness, ‘tis true
Whole weeks of poor starting pitching brought on by a weak infield defense, besieged him close,
Even to the gates and inlets of his life!
But it is true, no less, that strenuous, firm,
And with a natural gladness, he maintained
A flawed roster oft-altered, and in joy
Was strong enough to finish well in Gauntlet range.
For not a hidden path, that to the playoffs
Of the beloved Marauderian forest leads,
Lurked undiscovered by UZWorm; not a rill
There issues from the fount of Sic Transit Vir
But he had traced it upwards to it’s source,
Through open glade, dark glen, and secret dell
Knew the Pedro Martinezes and Johan Santanas,
And culled it’s tradeable pitchers. Yea, oft alone,
Piercing the long-neglected Holy Trade,
The haunt obscure of 1922 Pete Alexander,
He bade with lifted torch it’s starry walls
Sparkle, as erst they they sparkled to the flame
Of odorous lamps not tended by it’s Superleague owner
O framed for calmer times and nobler hearts!
O studious Swindler, eloquent for Ruth!
UZWorm! Contemning wealth and a solidly built Superleague team
Yet docile, childlike and once full of Life and Love!
Here, rather than in SLX
This record of thy worth thy Friend describes
Thoughtful, with quiet tears upon his cheek.

Did...did you just paradise lost the oneida spooners?

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
Jacksonville Jaguars and Sad Pandas

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Past Records

Expansion Cup IV

68-94, 5th Place, McQueen League
Super-League V
79-83, 3rd Place, Norris-Smythe Division, Gauntletted
Gauntlet IV, Round 5
19-21, 3rd Place, Relegated
Expansion Cup VI
56-106, 5th Place, Johnny Hopp Division
Super-League VII
53-109, 4th Place, Senor Goodtimes Division
Gauntlet VI
Round 1: 21-19, 1st Place, Survived
Round 2: 16-24, 4th Place, Relegated
Expansion Cup VIII
87-75, Barry Larkin Division Champions
Defeated Detroit Cougars 4-3 in EC Semi-Finals
Lost to CERN Colliders 3-4 in EC Finals
Super-League IX
74-88, 4th Place, Norris-Smyth Division, Gauntletted
Gauntlet VIII
Round 3: 21-19, 2nd Place, Survived
Round 4: 14-26, 4th Place, Relegated

From the Super-League Office of Suspicious Audio Transcription

Object details: Audio tape found suspiciously completely intact on top of the smouldering rubble of the Kibbie Dome. Judging by the relative volume of the voices, whatever device used to record this conversation was hidden in Grinnblade's pockets, suggesting that Grinnblade knew something was happening regardless of what he says during the conversation with Belarussian President Lukashenko.

GRINNBLADE: Mr. President, I wasn't expecting to see you here so soon!

LUKASHENKO: You have failed, once again. You have three minutes to explain to me why I should not send you to jail, yes?

GRINNBLADE: Mr. President, with all due respect --

LUKASHENKO: Tick, tock.

GRINNBLADE: Well, for starters, I am forced to admit that being more than a half-mile above sea level may have hurt my chances. The thin air combined with my decision to use knuckleballers prominently in my rotation made for a disasterous pitching staff.

LUKASHENKO: And?

GRINNBLADE: I probably could have done a bit more managing of the team, perhaps rearranging the lineups more often to shake up slumps or give some of the players on my bench and in my minors a shot. In addition, not giving my management team any sort of direction in regards to strategies left the team directionless on the rare occasions where we did produce offense.

LUKASHENKO: Hmph. You keep saying that this is "your" team, "your" roster, "your" stadium. You are mistaken. From the moment you asked for my help, this team, this stadium, belongs to glorious Belarus. And now I must turn this team around before it shames its motherland further, hmm?

(There is an audible click from somewhere behind Lukashenko.)

LUKASHENKO: Your services are no longer required.

GRINNBLADE: Mr. President, please!

(A large metallic groan drowns out the President's response, and then there is a commotion as the sound of a large piece of metal hitting concrete echoes. There is some muffled screaming, and then finally silence for a few moments.)

GRINNBLADE: Heh. I guess I should have spent some of that maintenance money you gave me to fix these drat supports. Must have slipped my mind. You know, Mr. President, I've come to realize something these past few seasons. Idaho just ain't my place any more. People here say they want more of the big-city life, but when it's brought to them they don't utilize it. And I'm sick of trying to force-feed it to them.

(A few metallic clangs echo as Grinnblade is apparently checking something on or in the fallen debris.)

GRINNBLADE: The test charge worked wonderfully. So, Mr. President, I guess this is farewell. To you...

(There is a beep very close to the microphone, and then the sound of a far-off series of explosions getting closer by the second.)

GRINNBLADE: ... and the Idaho Potatoes.

From the Super-League Office of Missing Owner Recovery

Grinnblade has not been seen since the Kibbie Dome explosion. Given the information from this tape, one can surmise that he was frustrated with the location of his franchise, and if he does return, will probably select a different locale for his next Super-League team.

From the desk of Super-League Commissar Smasher Dynamo

God drat it, why won't he just die!

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Pick Two!
Canton Catastrophes

The Pandas might be magic, but I want that extra draft pick. Therefore, I pick against them. It's not going to work, is it.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Robert_Deadford posted:

The Pandas might be magic, but I want that extra draft pick. Therefore, I pick against them. It's not going to work, is it.
If you're going to make up that 13 point deficit on zodiac, it's going to happen via the playoff series updates, not the gauntlet updates (where best you can realistically hope for is to gain 2 per round).

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Robert_Deadford posted:

Pick Two!
Canton Catastrophes

You'll NEVER get that extra draft pick betting against Panda Magic.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
I can dream, dammit! I can dream of a brighter tomorrow where my first round draft pick doesn't get injured before his first game! Of not relying on the Snuffter's erratic bat! Of achieving a .500 record! It all starts here. It starts now! :poland:

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
It's not happening. I will win the draft pick with the power of general optimism, and the Wild will win tonight against the Blackhawks. Generally, everything is gonna come up aces.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Zodiac5000 posted:

It's not happening. I will win the draft pick with the power of general optimism, and the Wild will win tonight against the Blackhawks. Generally, everything is gonna come up aces.

Mmhm. How's that working out so far after 2 periods?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Doesn't even matter. Hockey is terrible, so its ok if the Wild lose, although it would be nice if they won.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

So, how much farther can the Imperialists take this? It's hard to say. Their offense simply might not be good enough to handle the Losers' rotation. But if they can get even mediocre run support, their pitching just might get them to the finals.

The Losers are the Losers. Nothing more, nothing less.

Don May posted:

LOSERS TAKE OPENER 5-4

Rockford- The Imperialists may yet pull off an incredible upset over the Losers, but it won't happen today.

At one point, the Burma club did appear as though they just might pull it off, though. With their inconsistent offense finally clicking, the Imperialists were able to chase Satchel Paige out of the game after only six innings, having scored four runs in that time frame, and held a narrow 4-3 lead in the sixth inning.

But the Losers did not get where they are today by allowing teams like the Imperialists to do as they pleased, and came back with two runs against the Imperialists' most aristocratic-sounding reliever, Rawly Eastwick. These runs proved to be the winning margin as the Losers shut out the Imperialists' hitters from that point onward, and secured the win and a 1-0 series lead.

This outcome did not sit well with Viscount Slim, who also had to deal with media scrutiny over his usage of Eastwick, "I know there are many out there, of common blood predominantly, who will claim that a modern bullpen ought to be run on a meritocratic basis, that I should rate my better-performing relievers ahead of those with nobler birth. That I should resist the urge to use Rawly Eastwick in close games, and instead turn to a reliever like Sam McDowell, despite him being of Irish peasant blood. I know that in America you like to believe that even the lowest-born among us can achieve something great, but the position of the Imperialists has, and always will be, that the hand of providence guides the greatest among us to the most socially elite, and that to upset this natural order is to spit in the face of the universe. The rest of the Super-League owners may be willing to sacrifice the old ways in pursuit of short-term gain, but we will remain steadfast in our commitment to a society rigidly stratified by class. It's the only sensible thing to do."

Lord Mayor Humungus simply did not care about any of that, "Viscount Slim. I pleaded with you not to come to Rockford. Not to attempt to defeat my team. There is no hope for you. No chance of survival. All that remains is your certain destruction. I am reminded of the story my father used to tell me, before I murdered him for the last of our rations. He told me of a rich man who wandered into the rad-wastes of McHenry County. He has an entire briefcase full of gold, a fur coat made of the finest sable, the most exquisite jewelery, and a cask of the finest brandy ever produced. Under the heat of the sun, though, he finds himself overheated thanks to the coat, and he is forced to throw it to the ground. The briefcase is too heavy, and he must leave it behind. The jewelery sparkles in the sun, but that draws the attention of the rad-bandits, and he must cast that off too. He is thirsty now, the sun has baked him in its heat. He takes a swig of the brandy, and then another. But the alcohol is a diuretic, and he is soon even more thirsty than before, and so he must give that away too. Eventually, the rich man, dehydrated and overheated, succumbs to heatstroke, and dies. The rad-bandits pass his dessicated corpse and examine it looking for treasures and find none. In the end, the rich man dies a poor beggar, as all of his treasures meant nothing in a land ruled by deprivation. Viscount Slim, you could learn a lesson from this rich man. You have come to a place where you do not belong, and you will surely die because of it!"

Game 2 will take place tomorrow in Rockford as Hilton Smith will try to get the Imperialists back in this series as the Losers' Don Drysdale attempts to get his team a 2-0 series lead.

GAME NOTES

-Of the Imperialists' nine hits, six of them were for extra bases, and yet they only scored four runs total.

-The Imperialists had a poor 2/9 BB/K ratio while the Losers managed a robust 6/3 BB/K ratio.

Box Score

Don May posted:

IMPERIALISTS EVEN SERIES WITH DRAMATIC 7-6 WIN

Rockford- It should have been much easier, but the Imperialists will take the win regardless.

Holding a 5-2 lead in the bottom of the ninth, the Imperialists should have been able to get a fairly easy win, but Jonathan Papelbon, their closer, had other ideas. After striking out Roberto Alomar to start the inning, Papelbon gave up a single, and then a walk, before surrendering a titanic three-run, game-tying home to Lefty O'Doul. Papelbon was able to get the two remaining outs in the inning without giving up any more runs, which sent the game into extras. Both teams seemed too exhausted to accomplish much of anything in the tenth inning, but as the eleventh inning dawned, it was clear that both owners were prepared to make one last push.

By dint of being the visiting team, the Imperialists got their chance first, and made the most of it. John Smoltz, going into his second inning of relief work, got two outs, but also allowed two walks, putting runners on the corners with two outs. With Lance Berkman due up next, Lord Mayor Humungus, who captured the nickname "Captain Hook" after he forced the descendants of Sparky Anderson to turn over the sobriquet on pain of "mayhem", quickly pulled Smoltz and brought in Randy Myers to deal with the famed "Launch Ballman". This did not work out, as Berkman hit a single to give the Imperialists a 6-5 victory. Myers then struck out Jim Edmonds to limit the damage.

But the Losers are not so easily conquered. Having already come back once in the game, the Losers mounted a second comeback. After an Alomar groundout to start the inning, a pinch-hitting Tony Oliva hit a single to put the tying run at first base. Tris Speaker immediately undid this good work by hitting into a fielder's choice, but Lefty O'Doul once again came to the rescue, hitting a two-out, RBI double to square the score at 6, and ensure that, at the worst, there would be a twelfth inning. Trying to win the game, Kevin Youkilis hit a Messersmith curve, but could only manage to turn it into a weak ground for the third out.

The Imperialists then had another chance to take a lead. Carlos Beltran led off the inning, but quickly lined out to right. This brought up Robin Yount, who has provided a spark to the Imperialists since becoming the team's starting shortstop in the final weeks of the regular season. Once again, Yount energized his team, this time with a single to right field that put the go-ahead run on first base. Eddie Mathews was next, and Steve Bedrosian, the Losers reliever, tried to beat him with an 86 mph fastball, which led to a Mathews triple that scored Yount and gave the Imperialists a 7-6 lead. Quite why Bedrosian thought that it was a good idea to serve up a pitch that slow to a hitter as good as Mathews will likely never be known, as Lord Mayor Humungus beat him into a coma after the game.

Still, the Losers had a chance in the bottom of the inning. Unfortunately, it did not last very long, as Messersmith got a 1-2-3 inning to close out the game and tie the series at one game apiece going into the next three games in Burma.

After the game, Viscount Slim, as hard as it may be to believe, was even more pleased with himself than usual, "Ah, yes, another plebian driven before me." Slim bragged as he enjoyed a snifter of brandy, perhaps in response to Humungus' bizarre and psychotic remarks after Game 1, "I must agree with Humungus about one thing, however. This town of Rockford, it truly is a blighted place that I will be happy to leave behind. But, quite frankly, I did not find it particularly intimidating. The awesome power of mankind to destroy itself in industrial cities has long-since ceased to either surprise or frighten me. But Burma, the endless jungle? Now that is a place that tries a man's soul. Confronted as he is by the unknowable savagery of nature. Joseph Conrad wasn't inspired to write Heart of Darkness after a trip to a rundown strip mall, after all."

Game 3 will take place in Burma. Tom Seaver will try and regain momentum for the Losers as Martin Dihigo tries give the Imperialists the lead in the series.

GAME NOTES

-Lefty O'Doul hit for the cycle. So, the Losers have that going for them at least.

Box Score

Don May posted:

IMPERIALISTS TAKE SERIES LEAD WITH 6-5 WIN

Mandalay- What has happened to the Rockford Losers?

Going into this series, the question for most people is whether the Losers would break the back of the Imperialists in four games, or if the Imperialists could somehow extend the series to five.

But somehow, despite it making absolutely no sense whatsoever, the Imperialists have hung in there with the Losers and, with today's 6-5 win, the Imperialists now hold a 2-1 series lead over the Rockford club, putting them just two games away from reaching the first Super-League finals in club history.

After the Losers' bullpen struggles in Game 2, Humungus decided to stay with Tom Seaver as long as he could...even as Seaver began to crumble under the intense workload as his pitch count went higher and higher. By the eighth inning, Seaver was cooked, having already thrown more than 120 pitches against the relatively powerful Imperialists lineup. Jim Edmonds, smelling blood, hit a leadoff home run to tie the game at five. A few batters later, Carlton Fisk hit a single to drive home another run, and the Imperialists took a 6-5 lead. The Losers, somehow, could not score against Jonathan Papelbon in the top of the ninth, and that was that was the end.

Asked why he had pushed Tom Seaver far beyond his endurance, Humungus retorted that, "All of my relievers had failed me! What choice did I have but to gamble on the heart and spirit of my starter to carry my team to victory? Obviously, that did not work out, and, as a result, it is clear that I must somehow replace Tom Seaver's weak heart with a stronger one, perhaps from a lion or a bear. Or maybe a falcon, as those are the swiftest of all birds. But as Tom Seaver will start a potential game seven, it is essential that I begin this procedure without delay! Tom Seaver! Attend me now!"

A visibly nervous Seaver approached Humungus gingerly, only to have his caution rendered moot as Humungus suddenly swung his giant fist inside of Seaver's chest cavity and ripped out his still-beating heart. As one is wont to do when they've had an internal organ violently removed, Seaver collapsed on the floor as Humungus inspected the heart of his reliever. "This is a weak heart," Humungus said, seemingly oblivious to the carnage of his actions, "This is not a heart that can win game 7." Humungus said as he threw Tom Seaver's heart to the ground. "Clearly, a substitute must be found."

Viscount Slim laughed about this incident later, "Yes, I'm quite sure that dismemberment will be the key to victory! After all, didn't Nelson's great triumph at Trafalgar come after he lost an arm? But I jest. Personally, I understand the need to discipline the men, but ripping out a man's heart? Quite immoderate. Flog the man, if you must, burn down his native village if he crosses you again, but what Humungus did today is simply too untidy for words. The only thing that you'll do by ripping out a man's heart is ruin a nice pair of silk gloves."

Game 4 will take place in Burma. Joe Wood, the best pitcher in the Dynamo League this year, will try and give the Imperialists a commanding 3-1 series lead while Jerry Koosman will try and overcome the handicap of having a vaguely ridiculous name and tie the series at two games a piece.

GAME NOTES

-No, I don't know why the A.I. kept in Seaver that long.

-The Imperialists really do strike out a ton, especially for a team with Eddie Collins in the lineup everyday, as he basically never whiffs.

Box Score

Don May posted:

LOSERS TIE UP SERIES WITH 9TH INNING COMEBACK, WIN 3-2

Mandalay- No one ever learns anything.

One day after the Losers were burned by keeping Tom Seaver in the game for far too long, the Imperialists made the exact same mistake.

Granted, Joe Wood had been having a better day than Seaver, having allowed no runs over the first eight innings, but he was well over 100 pitches, and the Imperialists only had a 2-0 lead. Then again, the prospect of Jonathan Papelbon coming into a close man is startling enough to drive even the most courageous men to drink, so perhaps Viscount Slim thought it was simply the lesser of two evils.

Wood, showing true grit in the most Rooster Cogburniest of ways, got the first two batters out on a combined six pitches. He was just one out away, and the last batter in his way was Victor Martinez, who is hardly a dominating hitter when compared to the Mel Otts and Ted Williamses of the league. But Wood, by this point, was running out of steam. Wood, for all of his skill, never had the most durable arm, and probably should have been lifted at this point. He wasn't, however, and instead gave up a single to Martinez. But this was still a manageable situation, and Wood still only needed one more out. Joe Cronin was up next, and, seeing Wood's fatigue, worked a full count before hitting a weak grounder that Robin Yount could not quite get to. Cronin was safe, and the go-ahead run was now at the plate in the person of Frank Robinson.

At this point, it was clear that Wood was just burned out, and simply had to come out of the game. But Viscount Slim let him pitch on. Wood, his fastball just now fast enough at this point in the game, went to his slider, but threw it outside for ball one. Not wanting to get behind Robinson in the count, Wood's next offering was another slider, this one way too close to the heart of the strike zone. Robinson didn't become a Hall of Famer by letting pitches like that get by him, and crushed the ball in the bleachers for a three-run home run. Wood, defeated, did manage to escape the inning without any more damage, but it was already too late. The Imperialists failed to score in the bottom of the inning, and the Losers tied the series at two games a piece.

To say that Viscount Slim was upset after the game was an understatement, as he ordered Joe Wood immediately flogged for "petty treason". The Viscount also refused to speak to reporters after the game, his ego clearly wounded by the loss.

Humungus, on the other hand, was happy to speak to reporters, "Viscount Slim. Do you see now that any triumph against my team is meaningless? Perhaps you are more worried with what I intend to do with you after the series is over. As you will recall, I threw blackmongoose from his skybox into the cold, hard turf of his stadium. I nailed Warm Sarsaparilla to a giant wagon wheel. Clearly, when this series is over, and I have secured my berth to the Super-League finals, I will commit some act of brutality on my opponent. It is not because I enjoy violence, but because the other owners must learn the price for choosing to resist me. I have given the matter some thought, and, I assure you, it will be memorable."

Game 5 will still take place in Burma and, since Burma has a distinct culture from that of Japan, it will not feature ninjas. Satchel Paige, having been detained by the corrupt customs officials of Burma, will not be able to make the start, and Alex Fernandez will take his place. Dapper Don Sutton will start for the Imperialists.

GAME NOTES

-Lance Berkman had a stolen base. Most suspect witchcraft must have been involved.

-Carlos Beltran is hitting .069 through the first four games of the series. I really hate the loving Cardinals. The two may or may not be related.

Box Score

Don May posted:

ALEX FERNANDEZ CANNOT ESCAPE FUNDAMENTAL NATURE OF ALEX FERNANDEZ, LOSERS WIN 3-2

Mandalay- Theoretically, the Losers could have won this game, even with Alex Fernandez being their starting pitcher, but such an outcome was completely impossible in reality.

The Losers did at least make it close, and the final score reflected that, but neither could ignore the obvious: One of the two teams was starting Alex Fernandez, and that was simply never going to work.

Humungus admitted as much in his post-game statement, "When Paige was injured, I could have chosen to start C.C. Sabathia, but I felt that any man who feels the need to abbreviate his name with initials just does not have the strength of will to lead our team to the promised land. And while any man named "Alex" in this day and age is similarly suspect, due to the feminization of his name, it was a decision I felt I had to make even though, for obvious reasons, starting Alex Fernandez is, and always will be, tantamount to surrender. There are times when a warlord must understand that to take one step forward, he must be willing to sacrifice some of his minions in a futile frontal assault to weaken the morale of the enemy. And that is what happened today."

The key player of the game, Alex Fernandez, didn't have too much to say for himself, "First of all, it's pretty cool that I'm getting to talk in one of these writeups, because I'm such a terrible pitcher that putting me into a game is a guaranteed loss and all. So, I'd like to thank Humungus for making that happen, and also Jesus for creating rye, because the Reuben I had for lunch today was pretty delicious. And...uh...it was the kind with Thousand Island dressing, not Russian dressing. I'm not sure why some people put Russian dressing on their Reubens, it doesn't make much sense. What? You want to talk about the game? I sucked. And we lost. That's really about it for that, man."

The Imperialists were unusually quiet after the game, with neither their owner nor any players speaking to the press. Some have speculated that this is because the way in which they won the game was surprisingly demoralizing. While they did get the victory, and moved within one game of reaching the Super-League finals, they were only able to beat and Alex Fernandez-led team by one run, which is clearly not enough when Drysdale and Seaver lie in wait for the final two games of the series, both of which will be played in Rockford. While they would rather have won the game than lost, the Imperialists were in no mood for celebration.

Game 6 will be back in Rockford. Don Drysdale will strive to keep the Losers alive as Hilton Smith tries to send the Imperialists to the finals.

GAME NOTES

-Why the gently caress won't this loving series end?

Box Score

Don May posted:

LOSERS FORCE GAME SEVEN WITH 6-3 WIN

Rockford- In the Super-League, there is no greater misery than the bullpen. This is the elemental truth of this league that cannot be changed, cannot be denied, and cannot be ignored.

In the bottom of the eighth inning, the game was tied 3-3, and it was destined to come down to which bullpen broke first. Dennis Eckersley, a fine right-hander in real life, came in to take over for an exhausted Hilton Smith, and that is where it all began to go wrong.

Roberto Alomar, who seems to be part of every Losers' rally in one way or another, singled to start off the inning. But Eck, asserting himself, got Alomar out at second on a fielder's choice from Oliva, and then struck Speaker out, which is even more impressive than it sounds. But now it was time for the Losers to assert themselves, as the team hit three singles in a row, scoring one run, and giving the Losers the lead. Miguel Tejada then doubled home two more runs, and that gave the Losers a 6-3 lead. The Imperialists went down relatively quietly in the ninth inning, sending the series to a decisive seventh game from which only one team can emerge as the Dynamo League Champion.

Lord Mayor Humungus insisted that he would be that champion, "There is no denying our struggles! But Viscount Slim, things have changed! Just a few games ago, I spoke of finding Seaver a new heart, a winning heart! I have made that happen. Do not ask me the predictable questions about what manner of heart it is or how this was done. Such things are not meant for the weak to know, and Viscount Slim, you are, without a doubt, the weakest man I know. I will break you, Slim, I will break you first on the inside, and then I will break you on the outside, so that the world can see it. Your time is coming to an end, Viscount Slim. But I promise you one more glorious moment, even if it will be reflected glory. Such is the fate of any who oppose me, Viscount Slim!"

Of course, the Viscount disagreed, "Ah, yes, Game 7, that decisive day, Dies irae, dies illa/Solvet sæclum in favilla/Teste David cum Sibylla. Day of wrath and and doom impending, David's word with Sibyl's blending, Heaven and earth in ashes ending. Peronsally, I never could quite understand why this poem, so based on Christian eschatology would contain a reference to a Sibyl, as they were perhaps the most prominent religious figures in Hellenistic paganism. And while I can appreciate that Christians later co-opted many symbols and figures of older religions to burnish their own, it does seem like an odd fit nonetheless, especially since, unlike other civilizations, Greek theology was hardly tied to such millenarian beliefs. But why I am I wasting time discussing such a comparative trifle in the face of tomorrow's decisive game, and Humungus' promise of bloody deeds to follow? It is because that is how unimpressed I am with him, his team, and everything else in this series. I do not need to make threats, I do not need to make promises, I simply need to win. And I will, because I am better than Lord Mayor Humungus. That is simply all there is to it. Although I will say that I am intrigued as to what he intends to do with me if I lose. I have heard that it is downright Shakespearean."

Game 7 will finally end this infinite series. Tom Seaver will start for the Losers. Martin Dihigo will start for the Imperialists. And that is all there is to it.

GAME NOTES

-John Smoltz is having a relatively solid series out of the bullpen.

-Dennis Eckersley is not.

Box Score

Don May posted:

LOSERS ADVANCE TO FINALS WITH 3-2 WIN

Rockford- The Imperialists gave it everything they could, the Losers just gave a bit more.

The Imperialists did have a chance, though, mainly because Lord Mayor Humungus let his pride overwhelm his reason. In Game 3, the Losers lost because Humungus refused to send in a reliever for Tom Seaver at any point even the game, even after he had racked up over 130 pitches. Today, Humungus did basically the same thing, allowing Seaver a chance to finish the game and the series. At the outset of the ninth inning, Humungus did not even have a reliever warming up in the bullpen. It was a testament to how much he believed in his ability to make reality conform to his sheer force of will.

Of course, Humungus, for all his bluster, is not actually a god, and the Carlos Beltran home run that led off the ninth inning was a sobering reminder of that fact. Still, Seaver did not crumble like last time, instead getting three straight outs to end the game, the series, and the Imperialists' hopes and dreams.

After the game, the media was anxiously awaiting Humungus' latest display of his power. While no reporter likes to see a man get maimed, it is hard to ignore the fact that Viscount Slim had this coming after years of being Viscount Slim. It was quite the spectacle.

A few Losers first brought a large barrel of wine into the room. Humungus then dragged the badly injured Viscount Slim before explaining what was about to occur. "Viscount Slim! I want you to know that in many ways, you are like a brother to me. A conniving, treacherous, weak-willed brother. Shakespeare in his histories wrote of many difficult sibling histories, as it is often the case that brothers, locked in a battle for power than only one can win will come to blows. And I believe I have found the proper end for you. Much like Clarence, you are an obstacle that needs to be removed, and so, like Clarence, I will drown you in a cask of Malmsey wine. You will be happy to know that, in the course of my research, I have found that Malmsey Wine is, in fact, an archaic name for Maderia wine. While I myself before to drink the blood of my enemies, I have no doubt that a cultured man such as yourself will enjoy the taste, even as it enters you lungs and strips you of life."

Viscount Slim, barely able to stand, muttered that in this scenario, Humungus would be playing the part of Richard III, which did not work out well for Richard.

Humungus simply laughed, picking up Viscount Slim by the back of his neck, "Yes, Viscount Slim, he did have a short reign. But he was still king. And that is more than Clarence, or you, can say!" Humungus then drowned Viscount Slim until his former rival stopped moving. He then turned back to reporters, "mrnoun! Or CthulhuDreams! Whichever of you should win your league! Know that a similar fate awaits you if you do not surrender to me! It is my destiny to storm the majestic Polo Grounds of Macho Men and burn it all to the ground! You cannot stop me! Smasher Dynamo cannot stop me! No force in this universe can stop me from my goal, and fire and destruction will greet any who would dare impede me! This time has come to unleash my dogs of war on the league, and no owner or team is safe!"

GAME NOTES

-This is the Losers' second Dynamo League Championship. Let's hope they do better in the finals this time.

Box Score

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
:siren: Playoff Pick Em Scores Update :siren:

By being one of only 2 participants to score more than the 1 point for picking the Losers to roll on to the finals, that scoundrel and likely Twins fan Zodiac builds on his lead. Someone's going to need a perfect score on the Landers/Cultists series to make this thing a contest.

I can't promise timely score updates for this weekend's updates as I will be spending the weekend in a place with spotty internet access.

pre:
Owner	               Score
Zodiac5000	        42
mks5000	                26
Robert_Deadford	        25
kw0134	                22
mentholmoose	        22
Monicro	                22
Beet	                21
oldskool	        19
GVOLTT	                18
CaptainYesterday	15
FairGame	        12
Chilly McFreeze	        10
Revenant Threshold	10
alpha_destroy	         6
TheFlyingLlama	         6
factorialite	         4
tatankatonk	         4
------------------------

As for that DLCS, 6 1-run ballgames out of 7. That's got to be unprecedented, and I owe my bullpen a hell of a lot for a strong performance in that series.

Smasher: I assume Paige suffered a minor injury which is why he missed his second start in the DLCS. Is he all good to go for the league finals? Secondly, when do you need lineups/rotation changes for the league finals series? Sunday? Monday?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

ToiletofSadness posted:

Smasher: I assume Paige suffered a minor injury which is why he missed his second start in the DLCS. Is he all good to go for the league finals? Secondly, when do you need lineups/rotation changes for the league finals series? Sunday? Monday?

Yeah, it's a minor injury, he should be fine for the finals. And get me your roster moves by Sunday.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
A minor mistake in your game summary as you claim the Losers won game 5 in the headline whereas the Imperialists won :ssh:

Since I'm in the middle of educating myself on this most noble sport (so I stop screwing myself over) how important is it to split your hitters between Lefthanded and Righthanded ones? Same for pitching? Also is it worth to use a lesser hitter/pitcher of another hand rather than a slightly stronger one that may be another pitcher/hitter of the same kind?

Also I might just need a hint in stadium contruction. A link to something is more than enough no need to waste your own time getting things into my thick skull.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

CVE posted:

A minor mistake in your game summary as you claim the Losers won game 5 in the headline whereas the Imperialists won :ssh:

Since I'm in the middle of educating myself on this most noble sport (so I stop screwing myself over) how important is it to split your hitters between Lefthanded and Righthanded ones? Same for pitching? Also is it worth to use a lesser hitter/pitcher of another hand rather than a slightly stronger one that may be another pitcher/hitter of the same kind?

Also I might just need a hint in stadium contruction. A link to something is more than enough no need to waste your own time getting things into my thick skull.

In general, righty hitters do better against righty pitchers than lefties do against other lefties. However, with both it can vary from player to player (see: Ryan Howard vs Carlos Gonzalez from the left side, Jesus Montero vs literally anybody else from the right) so unless a player has a very extreme split its usually not worth getting too worked up about, though it is probably worth it to move them up and down the lineup vs whatever they're better/worse against. As an aside, Tony LaRussa was famous for going bonkers with pitching matchups even when the difference between a player's hitting vs lefties and righties wasn't too different.

e: Also Jim Leyland has a huge hardon for having his lineup go righty-lefty-righty-lefty, even if it means putting a lesser hitter higher in the order. Do not do this.

Monicro fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 10, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Monicro posted:

e: Also Jim Leyland has a huge hardon for having his lineup go righty-lefty-righty-lefty, even if it means putting a lesser hitter higher in the order. Do not do this.

This isn't terrible - given the minor difference lineup order makes, preventing the opposing manager from putting in a lovely LOOGY and getting the platoon advantage for two batters is, based on statistical evidence, probably worth it. I mean, don't do anything ridiculous, but given normal lineups it's not unreasonable. Of course I do this all the time, so I may be biased.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

CVE posted:

Generally speaking, for starting pitchers, their hand doesn't matter. A lefty who really struggles against right-handed hitters isn't going to make it as a starting pitcher, so you can safely assume that any left-handed starter good enough to make the Super League is going to have a relatively small split.

The bullpen is another story. Short relievers are generally expected to only face a few hitters at most, so it's possible to specialize a lot more. There's something called a LOOGY (Left-handed One Out GuY) who is really, really good against left-handed batters but terrible against righties. He'll come in and pitch to the other team's best left-handed hitter in a key situation, and then generally leave the game again the moment a right-hander shows up. This is why Jim Leyland alternates L-R, as Monicro said: so the LOOGY is only useful for one batter, and the opposing team has to use several relievers to get out of a tight spot (meaning maybe they'll run out of pitchers later in the game).

For hitters, left-handed hitters tend to have a bigger split than right-handed hitters. If your preferred starter is a lefty and isn't on the Ted Williams/Babe Ruth level, it might be useful to pair him with a comparably skilled right-hander.

Using the Landers for examples:

Starting pitching: the Landers happily use nothing but right-handed starters; we don't worry about not having a left-handed starter.

Relief pitching: the Landers went out of our way to draft Craig Lefferts a few seasons ago, even though there were better players on the board. We didn't have a left-handed reliever at the time, and Lefferts was notorious at the time for being hard on left-handed hitters (who hit just .200/.263/.212 against him in 1984).

Batting: the Landers use Will Clark as our preferred starting first baseman. Clark is a left-handed hitter who had great success during his career against right-handed pitching (.311/.400/.525) but was merely decent against left-handers (.289/.349/.441). When a left-handed pitcher starts against us, we move Nomar Garciaparra to first base and bring in Eddie Joost at shortstop. Not only is Joost a superior defensive player, he also bats right-handed and had a successful career against left-handed pitching (.280/.428/.445). Garciaparra is one of those weird guys who hits the same against lefties and righties, so he's actually really well-suited for that role, too.

Can't tell you too much about stadiums, except for a couple basics:

-Right-handed batters generally hit the ball to left field, and vice versa. This means, for example, if you have a lot of right-handed power hitters, having a shorter distance to the left field wall will help them hit more home runs.

-The higher the altitude, the further the ball travels. Colorado's stadium was notorious for this, as they built the stadium up in the mountains. Dante Bichette was generally good for about 15 home runs a season until he started playing for Colorado and began hitting 30-40 a season.

-Artificial turf causes ground balls to travel faster, making them harder to field and more likely to become hits (and sometimes even get past outfielders for extra bases). Artificial turf was fairly common in the National League in the 70s and 80s, which is part of why a lot of NL teams from that era tend towards speed/contact guys instead of power hitters.

Mogul also tracks a bunch of smaller things, but it's fairly safe to ignore them.

One thing that seriously affects real baseball but not Mogul is the height of the actual fences. That's why Mogul has trouble with Fenway Park, which is famous for its abnormally tall left-field fence (about 11.3 meters; a typical baseball fence is less than 2 meters).

Hope that helps a little.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Expansion Cup 9: Larkin League Championship Series

The Following is a best of seven series for the title of Expansion Cup 9 Larkin League Champion.

While certainly with the issues at Catcher and 2nd Base, the Killer Mikes are built with talent and offense. The jewel of their lineup is two Mel Otts and a Stan Musial, providing a trio of two of the best lefty bats to ever grace baseball. However, their pitching has been in a sore spot since the half-season mark.

The Akabira Bowl, the Killer Mikes' home turf, will host games 1, 2, 6, and 7 of the Larkin League Championship.

GVOLTT is the only one of the four postseason team managers to be a fresh face for the Super League. The Connecticut Thunderstorms, like the Killer Mikes, get by on okay, but not great pitching, and a lefty-dominated, high-OBA, high-slugging offense. While certainly not equipped with Stan Musial or Mel Ott, they have plenty of homerun potential to spare, and their pitching seems much more consistent than the Killer Mikes'.
The Thunderstorms' home turf, Tesla Stadium, will host games 3, 4, and 5 of the Larkin League Championship.

Certainly, the favoritism is on tatankatonk, a Super League veteran, but the Thunderstorms have a decent setup going. Let's see how it shakes up.

quote:

CONNECTICUT BRINGS THE STORM TO AKABIRA
Akabira, Hokkaido - GVOLTT may be a Super League rookie, but the Thunderstorms certainly have a spark that keeps them ahead of the game. Today, they showed the Killer Mikes that they could keep one step ahead of them.

The Thunderstorms took an early lead, scoring a run off Luis Gonzalez in the first, and a combo platter of a Jermaine Dye single and an error by the catcher in apprehending the wily Joe Morgan, which allowed the spy Robin Yount, then on third, to race home.

Angered, tatankatonk riled up the Killer Mikes additional offensive support, which allowed for a run off Don Drysdale by Gus Mancuso, and a double RBI immediately afterward by Hanley Ramirez.

But Luis Castillo would have none of that, and shot a double deep into left field, letting the once again too quick for the Mikes Joe Morgan to rush past second, third, and straight to home. The offense would petter out on both sides, and the game would end 4-3 on the Thunderstorms' side.

Afterwards, Castillo spoke for the Thunderstorms. "Now, I like GVOLTT. He's a pretty swell guy. And I kind of like tatankatonk too. But there's no denying that the Thunderstorms are just the better team here. We won pretty solidly, even if only by one run - you're welcome, Joe! - and the Mikes have all their talent pushed into three guys, who couldn't get a run between them today. What does that say about them?"

tatankatonk was short and to the point. "Hey, gently caress you Castillo. And gently caress Don Drysdale too. GVOLTT got lucky, that's all. And you know what they say, lightning never strikes twice!"

Box Score

quote:

LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE, CONNECTICUT UP 2-0

Akabira, Hokkaido - Clearly, tatankatonk's words were prophetic.

Connecticut took an early lead once more in Game 2 at the Akabira Bowl, Luis Gonzalez once more providing the opening run. And once more, the Killer Mikes struggled to keep pace with the storm-themed team. While they did finally muster a run in the 4th inning, it was only after another run from Gonzalez put the Thunderstorms up two-nil, and it was the first show of force from the Mikes' Stan Musial hitting a ball straight over the Akabira Bowl's walls. Sadly, it would also be his last show of force, as Jermaine Dye would once again send a run or two home through a far right side single. In reponse, Mel Ott mustered a measly tag-up run in the second half of the inning.

The Thunderstorms responded by proving they didn't need the offense to score runs, as an error by Bill Terry allowed Michael Cuddyer to hit first on an error. After Joe Mauer and Carlos Beltran would both give up easy outs, Cuddyer decided to push his luck towards second, and a single from Justin Morneau would end the game early as he dashed past third and straight home.

Afterwards, GVOLTT would speak for his team. "Okay, I was kind of impatient at getting here, but you know? It's worth it. I'm going up against a Super League veteran, and I'm doing alright! And Cuddyer managing to get through all of the Mikes? That was cool. I guess what I'm saying is this was definitely worth the wait."

tatankatonk, livid at having to go to Tesla Stadium down two games in the series, called out GVOLTT after the game. "GVOLTT, I was like you once. The San Juan Elephants were bright, cheerful, and they wanted, and needed a chance. And what happened? They were cut down in their prime in a gauntlet run by the Burma Imperialists! You think you can shake up the Super League, GVOLTT? You think you can shock the system!? Lightning may strike twice, but it'll take more than lightning to take down the Killer Mikes!

Box Score

quote:

CONNECTICUT THUNDERS ONWARD, CHAMPIONSHIP WIN IMMINENT
Hartford, Connecticut - While the Killer Mikes are starting to show their offensive prowess, it may be too little, too late.
In a 12-inning game, the first score came in the sixth, a homer by one of two Mel Otts over the right field fence of Tesla Stadium. He - or perhaps his clone - would repeat this performance in the top of the 8th, and with the Connecticut defense curiously absent, it looked like they would pick up the win.

But in the bottom of the ninth, with Rusty Staub on base, it came to Carlos Beltran to even the score. Bert pitched his best curvebball, but Beltran could see it coming, he swung, and with a mighty, thunderous crack of the bat, the ball whizzed into the center field bleachers.

The game was tied.

From that point forward, it was a reliever's duel between Jim Brewer and Lindy McDaniel, as both exhausted teams struggled to pull their offense together for a single run. That run came together in the bottom of the twelfth inning, as Lindy McDaniel, exhausted, gave up a single to Dye, walked Castillo and Sizemore, and gave up another single to Mauer with the bases loaded for the Thunderstorms to take a 3-0 lead in the series.

Tatankatonk, who had slowly been losing his cool over the course of the game, was living by the end of it. "Are you kidding me!? Lightning and thunder and down three games. What's next? You going to bring the hard and heavy rain on me, GVOLTT? I can't be killed by rain! Oh, you can try. But you won't kill a man by drowing him! You'll see! You'll see just how much the Killer Mikes can do!"

GVOLTT, ever-confused by tatankatonk's growing mental instability, simply asked "Did he know it was going to rain tomorrow?"

Box Score

quote:

WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS: FIVE RUN RALLY KEEPS MIKES HOPES ALIVE

Hartford, Connecticut - Let it never be said that tatankatonk isn't a man of his word.

Both teams knew how crucial tonight's game was, even with the fast approaching storm. For the Thunderstorms, it was to prove they deserved the chance to advance. For the Killer Mikes, it was to eek out a win to keep themselves alive a little longer. Both made a strong showing in the first, scoring two apiece off of respective pitchers Claude Osteen and Randy Johnson. But it was the Killer Mikes who would pull the early lead, with a surprising home run from Gus Mancuso. For a while, it looked like the Mikes would have an edge, but the Thunderstorms put a halt to that, crushing Randy Johnson's fastballs underneath them in the bottom of the fourth. A run off of a Luis Castillo single, another run off a Paul Molitor single, and then with resounding crack of the bat, Joe Mauer launched a ball deep into Tesla Stadium's left fiel, bringing the three of them home.

The score was now 7-3, and the rain had started to come down. Despite that, tatankatonk demanded the game continue, and so it did.

The Thundertorms would get another run in the fifth, and it wasn't until the top of the seventh that the Mikes would find their footing, managing to score off a double from Mel Ott. They were still down 4 runs, and needed a miracle as the rain came torrenting down again.

That miracle came from tatankatonk, who, in the bottom of the eighth, took the bullpen members who hadn't been playing, and brought them together. Lightning flashed, thunder crashed, and japanese drums suddenly thundered from the Killer Mikes' bullpen. Echoing through the electrically charged Tesla Stadium. The pitchers mound was muddy, the players were sopping wet, and tatankatonk had somehow found time to paint what could only be called 'Japanese war paint' on his face.

The stage was set for the Killer Mikes' rally, but the Thunderstorms, undeterred, sent out Jesse Crain to bring the game to a close.

A single from Ott, a double from Musial! Mel Ott, brought to a fever by the drums, dashed for home plate, and the Thunderstorms, confused and disoriented, could not stop him. They walked Ott's clone,, and a single from Boyer would bring Musial in.

The drums increased in intensity. The Mikes were two runs from tying the game.

The bases became loaded for the Mikes with a walking of Dan Uggla, and the Thunderstorms knew they couldn't leave Crain on the mount. Joe Nathan came in, and a ground out from Bill Terry would bring a double play. 2 outs, and still two runs short. The drums were starting to drown out the thunder now. Or perhaps the thunder was playing along with the drums. It's hard to be certain.

Andres Galarraga was intentionally walked, and the base were loaded again. They just needed to de-fang Gus Mancuso. A simple task, as Mancuso was not exactly known for his bat. In the rain and the wind. It was hard to tell, but it looked like Mancuso was up on the plate. The pitch was thrown, a crack of the bat was heard, slipping past the fielders deep into left side. As Mel Ott and Ken Boyer dashed home, Justin Morneau looked up at the man approaching first base.

Travis 'Stonewall' Jackson grinned up at him, as the game was tied.

Between the rain and the drums, the stadium was either deathly quiet, or drowned out as Dick Bartell was put on base for Galarraga, and with a thunderous crash, Hanley Ramirez swung low at a curveball, as it shot into deep center field. Bartell sprinted through the bases, the ball soaring in the wind as it landed in Joe Mauer's mitt.

But too little too late, as Bartell mudslid past home plate, and the Killer Mikes had taken the lead. Not even the strikeout of the rally's leader, Mel Ott, would dissuade the drums as they lead into the bottom of the ninth, with Lindy McDaniel on the mound once more, to avenge his shameful collapse from last game. A groundout to third. Luis Gonzalez singled and, in desperation, went for the extra base, being thrown out. Which left only Robin Yount to win the game. With the drums reaching the climax of their song.

Yount whiffed, and the rain slowed to a halt. The Killer Mikes had won.

tatankatonk, exhausted, had nothing to say, and GVOLTT could only say "That was the coolest thing I have ever witnessed."

Box Score

quote:

CLEAR SKIES AHEAD FOR THUNDERSTORMS

Hartford, Connecticut - Given the dramatic finale of last night's game, this one seemed almost quaint. With no Japanese drums, nor a monsoon to hamper the Connecticut team, who took their usual early lead, and then pulling together a three-run buildup on top of that.

The Killer Mikes, who had exhausted themselves in yesterday's game, could not muster half the offense they needed to match the Thunderstorms, with the score a staggeringly 7-1 in the bottom of the eighth.

For all their worth, the Killer Mikes would show their talent one last time, with a home run from Stan Musial to drive him and Mel Ott home, but the Mikes failed to muster the momentum without the drums behind him, with Ken Boyer striking out, Dan Uggla grounding to first, and Bill Terry popping an easy out to finish the game - and the series. The Thunderstorms had won.

Both sides seemed finished overall, in the post-game, GVOLTT addressed the crowd. "So, that was actually a lot of fun, and I feel sorry for tatankatonk, because his team played hard and worked hard. I think both teams really deserved this win, but we were the ones who got it. So hey, Beet! kw0134! I hope you both are ready for the Thunderstorms, because whichever of you wins, I've got to show you all us rookies can put up a fight!"

The Connecticut Thunderstorms will advance to the Expansion Cup 9 Larkin-Downing Memorial Championship, where they will face the Downing League Champions - either the Somali Pirates or the Rochester Generics.

Box Score

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

This isn't over, Monathin! Not by a long shot! You'll pay for your crimes in the Expansion Cup! You'll pay!

Petaluma Goose Eggs (SLII): 1 Season, Relegated.
EV-IL Corp. Villains (SLIV): 1 Season, Relegated.
Vice City Goose Eggs (SLVII): 1 Season, Relegated.
Jacksonville Jobbers (SLIX): 1 Season, Relegated.

Some day, Armitage. Some day.

Who?

Panda Magic, motherfuckers!

Pick 'em: Don't gently caress this up!
Pick TWO!
Canton Catastrophes
Patagonia Postmodernists
Sad Pandas
Web 2.0 Bloggers

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Y'all were fools to bet on me.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

To everyone surprised at how I'm still alive, don't worry! So am I.

Edit: uublog! You have about 18-24 hours before the Squirrel Flyers are nixed and you are ejected from EC 9 - and Super League X! Post in the thread!

Monathin fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 11, 2013

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Pandas
Bloggers

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Owner: Gabriel Pope
Home Grounds: Rosenblatt Stadium

Past Records
Super-League III: Sucked and died.
Super-League V: Sucked and died again.
Super-League IX: Sucked and died yet again!

Teams Used

Super-League III
1919 Chicago White Sox
1979 New York Yankees
1982 California Angels

Super-League V
1905 Cleveland Naps
1936 Cincinnati Reds
1949 St. Louis Cardinals
2008 New York Mets

Super-League IX
2004 New York Yankees
1990 Toronto Blue Jays
1912 Cleveland Naps

An Apology from Smasher Dynamo

You know, I'm not sure that I have another good story for the Forgettables in me, and with G. Pope long gone, I feel like I might as well use this opportunity to apologize for the following obits:

Albany Pessimists

I apologize for the fact that I clearly did not care about that obit at all.

Baltimore Blind Men

I apologize for not thinking this one through at all. Also the fact that the very first joke in the obit is premised on Vrikkian having an ongoing LP, which has not been true since 2011.

Boston Crabs

I apologize for the bit about Northampton, MA, although I maintain that is the sort of thing that Mike Greenwell would do. As for the Super-League IV, I apologize for whatever the hell I was trying to go for. Clearly, if extradimensional beings were interested in the fate of the Super-League, they would have chosen a more robust team than the Crabs to do their bidding. As for the Super-League VI obit...I apologize for nothing! If anything, we need MORE of Dr. Mike Remlinger's autobiography! Even if Adam Dunn has become basically a dumber version of the character I created for Dr. Mike.

Boston Skyhawks

I apologize for the mediocre obit for a great team.

Cali/Atlantis Unspecifieds

I apologize for creating a team with a hook I could never quite master.

Chicago Blood Sox

I apologize for never getting around to finishing this obit. More broadly, I apologize for the Blood Sox being in the Super-League in the first place.

Cologne Emperors

I apologize for the obit I did before that ending up becoming moot when the Emperors survived on a fluke. But it was bad enough that I was glad to see them live.

Deadwood Cutthroats

I apologize for loving up the link so that it doesn't even go to the Cutthroats' obit, which isn't very good to begin with. Then again there was no way I was going to be able to ape David Milch for an entire obit, okay?

Des Moines Dervishes

I apologize for Beet being a cool dude who I have never given a single good gimmick to. And the obits haven't been pretty either.

Detroit Riots/Detroit Original Riots/Norfolk Splinter Cells

I apologize for much the same reasons as the Dervishes.

East St. Louis Electrics

I apologize for not knowing that echopapa would become a Nostalgia Critic-type personality a few months after he left the Super-League. That certainly would have changed the obit.

EV-IL Corp. Villains

I apologize for all of my wounds being self-inflicted.

Falmouth Clippers

I apologize for not working as hard as I should have on this obit.

Framingham Fillies

I apologize for the Framingham Fillies.

Greenbrier Orchids

I apologize for aping the Atlantis Aquamen obit for greatly diminishing returns.

Hill Valley Biffs

I apologize for Timecop. It was all Timecop's fault.

Jerk City Philosophers/Jackson Jerks

I apologize for not being able to come up with anything for the first obit, especially since I'd just re-appropriate the gimmick for the Landers a few seasons later. I don't apologize for the comic, though. That was neat.

Juneau Juggernauts

I apologize for...NOTHING! I APOLOGIZE FOR NOTHING! That was the obit you deserved, factorialite!

Kolkata Indians

I apologize for being lazy.

Leprechauns

I apologize for making cbx's girlfriend sad. But Johnny Hopp: Baseball Bunny still died of myxomatosis.

Lovable Losers

I apologize for a number of inaccuracies regarding my summaries of the Mighty Ducks movies.

Mid-Northern Suicidal Tendencies

I apologize for not just making your obit a suicide note. That would have been better than the poo poo I came up with.

Mudville Masochists

I apologize for being a lovely writer. Also, that you had a Zack Ryder avatar. That must have been tough for you, weekly font.

New New York Fighting Mongooses

I apologize for this obit in general. Who the gently caress wants to hear from Bill Buckner about anything?

Omaha Forgettables

I apologize for writing myself into a corner. Twice.

Oxbridge Mathematicians

I apologize for giving myself a C-. That was clearly too generous.

Oyster Cult Blues

I apologize for still being a lovely writer.

Petaluma Goose Eggs

I apologize for not converting this to a CYOA.

Postmodernists

I apologize for basically everything in every obit or writeup I have ever done for my team.

Poughkeepsie Superbas

I apologize for thinking I'm much more clever a writer than I am.

Queens Mercuries

I apologize that I included a link to Brooklyn Bruiser singing "Don't Stop Me Now" in the obit. That was wrong of me, and I have injured all mankind because of it.

Rochester Generics

I apologize for being a lovely lawyer.

Seattle Suicides

I apologize for being unable to patch together an obit, and instead trying to pass off three half-formed ideas as my tribute to your team.

Seattle SuperSonics

I apologize for Koop not coming back! Please, Koop! Come back! It'll be different this time!

Senadores de San Juan

I apologize for me phoning this in because I don't know anything about San Juan or Puerto Rico. I still don't.

Spokane Air Raids

I apologize for never actually pulling the obit contest submissions into one post.

St. Paul Bearers

I apologize for wasting everyone's time with this marathon of mediocrity.

Tigres de San Juan

I apologize for being an rear end in a top hat about this.

These by name, and all others.

Amen.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Your best post ever, Smasher.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.
Pick 'em: Don't gently caress this up!
Pick TWO!
Canton Catastrophes
Patagonia Postmodernists
Sad Pandas
Web 2.0 Bloggers

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

theacox posted:

Your best post ever, Smasher.

This is why I'm so angry all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I enjoyed it as well, though admittedly I don't know as much about Super League History as I ought to.