Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He is the blandest dude ever, you could replace him with a card board cut out and nothing would change.

He owned as parallax tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

you could replace him with a card board cut out

They did in JLU.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The thing about Hal is that he WAS an interesting character. Through his fall to Parallax and death, that was a big good arc. Then people got mad becuase YOU KILLED HAL and they had to walk it back with Zero Hour and then make him the Spectre and then that wasn't good enough either so they had to just throw all that out and make him GL again.

They took a guy whose big defining character story was his fall to evil, and then slowly walked that back in fits and starts over the next decade until none of it mattered and all that was left was "Guy who is GL I guess". And then several times they've given him watered down "but now he's the REBEL green lantern" stories, which he does less well than Guy Gardner. There's only so many times you can look at Hal in a trenchcoat wearing multiple rings (or a gauntlet or whatever "like a ring but more so" thing it is this time) before you realize they are trying to relive what made him cool without making it actually a status quo change.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Die Laughing posted:

I think Hal is easily the best Green Lantern, but I know better than to debate that around here. Hal was never my GL until Rebirth. The first GL comic I ever remember seeing was crazy eyes Hal with all the rings, and then the next month or whatever was Kyle looking all shiny and new. I think what puts Hal over the top is his relationships. Hal and Sinestro is up there with Peter Parker and Norman Osborn, Hal and Carol are a pretty unique pair with her authority over him, and Hal and Ollie are like a slightly less contentious Batman and Superman.

I won't debate your opinion of course, but I do wanna say that it's easier to pick Hal as the best Green Lantern if you started paying attention to him after the franchise started folding in around him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

I won't debate your opinion of course, but I do wanna say that it's easier to pick Hal as the best Green Lantern if you started paying attention to him after the franchise started folding in around him.

To be fair that's how most Kyle fans ended up that way too.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I hesitate to even pick sides on this debate because I seriously can't imagine ever reading a Green Lantern solo comic, so my pick of Kyle or Cartoon John Stewart is based entirely around who I would want to see in the Justice League.

Green Lantern is a lame superhero.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Him and Green Arrow were awesome. All those stories were awesome. I get that better lanterns came a long but to toss out the baby with the bathwater...

Travis343 posted:

This I agree with.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Travis343 posted:

Why? The idea of a space cop is basic enough to be cool if they let it. It doesn't even have to be all space adventures.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I thought kyle was well used in the recent omega men series, but is he even a green lantern char any more? (Serious question, I stopped reading during the darkest night bullshit)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

Why? The idea of a space cop is basic enough to be cool if they let it. It doesn't even have to be all space adventures.

Youd think that, but here we are.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Scaramouche posted:

I thought kyle was well used in the recent omega men series, but is he even a green lantern char any more? (Serious question, I stopped reading during the darkest night bullshit)

Yeah, he had a whole N52 series where he gained the power of every color and became the White Lantern. So he was off doing his own thing but interacted regularly with all the various Corps. The end of Omega Men was ambiguous about what he would be doing after that but the writers of the upcoming GL Corps book said he would be involved in it at some point in some way, but wouldn't reveal more than that.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I bet most people who started with Geoff's comics don't have much of a problem with him. I don't mind having a bland/blank slate hero if the world around them is compelling. Star Wars is the prime example.
I only got bored with Johns' run when the big threats started getting really repetitive at the end.

Agreed, down to "the big threats started getting really repetitive." He was okay as a blank slate for getting into The Sinestro Corps War, but after a couple more arcs he became notable to me for having the fewest fun wrinkles compared to John, Guy, Kyle, Simon, and Jessica.

Having said that, I've always enjoyed Hal/Barry teamups. Combined reality-bending powers FTW.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

They did in JLU.

RACIST.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
At least Kyle has the best costume and constructs. Plus, he's Hispanic.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

I also like the idea of a superpower which is powered by your imagination, and the bigger you can dream the more unbeatable you are. Narrow-mindedness loses, creativity saves the day! Plus, whoever's drawing the comic today gets to completely go nuts!

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Well it's a good thing that Hal has imagination to spare. Baseball bats and jet fighters for everyone!

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Dr. Hurt posted:

Well it's a good thing that Hal has imagination to spare. Baseball bats and jet fighters for everyone!

Hey! Don't sell him short.

He also does boxing gloves...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Crisis basically pioneered the "some cool moments strung together with stupid, ponderous bollocks" style of event comics writing.

DC ruined comics.

qntm posted:

I also like the idea of a superpower which is powered by your imagination, and the bigger you can dream the more unbeatable you are. Narrow-mindedness loses, creativity saves the day! Plus, whoever's drawing the comic today gets to completely go nuts!

Leave it to Geoff Johns to turn Green Lantern into the exact opposite of that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No comics were always terrible, they changed why.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Bear in mind John Stewart's undergone some serious character erosion from when he was a clever, outspoken, and independent hero who was an educated architect... to the modern version that had his sense of humor excised by blowing up a planet, and his military background somehow became his overriding trait that drowned out most of his personality. Is Johns responsible for him becoming a Serious Soldier Guy, or is JLU to blame, or something earlier?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahah I forgot they had Hal as Specter for awhile.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Bear in mind John Stewart's undergone some serious character erosion from when he was a clever, outspoken, and independent hero who was an educated architect... to the modern version that had his sense of humor excised by blowing up a planet, and his military background somehow became his overriding trait that drowned out most of his personality. Is Johns responsible for him becoming a Serious Soldier Guy, or is JLU to blame, or something earlier?

He's a black character in comics. He either has to have served in the military or in jail.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think that one's all JLU. It didn't happen until that's how he was characterized in the cartoon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hal Jordan was interesting when he was a giant fuckup and screwed up dude trying his best to be a hero. Unfortunately Geoff Johns failed to get that and made him the BESTEST GL EVER and even when he tried to make him a screwup it was in lame ways that missed the fact that Hal was interesting because he was a fuckup and not in spite of him being a fuckup.

Hal is like Iron Man in that he's a guy who probably should be a superhero but is doing his damndest despite having a huge set of personal flaws.

Parallax is a completely sensible path for Hal Jordan to take. Maybe not as quickly as he took it but it's a completely in-character outcome for "Hal Jordan faces an insane tragedy that ruins his life." Like it sucks for fans of the character (and I was one myself around that time) that he basically got Injustice Superman but in canon but in the scale of guys who would go batshit insane after their hometown gets nuked, I'd put Hal above any other DC superhero. (With Bruce at #2.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 3, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

SonicRulez posted:

Kyle, Guy, and John are great team dudes. Hal just isn't reliable enough. He's only in the League to help his bros. Kyle has something to prove. Guy is a team player, even if he's a pain in the rear end. John has the sense of duty.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I liked Hal Jordan when he had gray hair on the sides, like Reed Richards or Nick Fury.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

qntm posted:

I like that concept of the ring, but also hate it because it's hard to write. Whenever I see a GL make a shield and it's just a plain wall I immediately start giving out. They already know it's going to fail. That or all of their failures look like they just weren't concentrating hard enough.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To be fair, that's gotta be in the top 10 or maybe even top 5 superhero gently caress ups. I can see how that could make a guy be more serious. I never thought that made him boring though. Maybe I'm a weird one.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I think the only Lanterns who should use bubbles and laser beams should be either noobs (teased by teammates, "is that all you can imagine?!") or no-fun min-maxers ("shut up, these are the most efficient constructs for battle").

I liked the beat in Edge of Oblivion where John had to lead a group to simulate a world-sized engine that was damaged and keep all the parts running.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SonicRulez posted:

To be fair, that's gotta be in the top 10 or maybe even top 5 superhero gently caress ups. I can see how that could make a guy be more serious.

Tomar-Re hosed up saving Krypton and you don't see him crying about it. Maybe that's just because fish can't cry, though.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I've probably mentioned this on BSS before, but I wish Kyle had done weird Alan Scott poo poo with his ring instead of making constructs. I like the idea that the ring is a Do Anything Engine, and the corps people make green constructs because that's what they're trained to do. I'd rather that Kyle and Alan didn't have anyone telling them to think of the rings in any particular way, and so went imagination-bananas. Walk through walls? Ok, that's something you can do with a magic ring. No reason you shouldn't be able.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

I've probably mentioned this on BSS before, but I wish Kyle had done weird Alan Scott poo poo with his ring instead of making constructs. I like the idea that the ring is a Do Anything Engine, and the corps people make green constructs because that's what they're trained to do. I'd rather that Kyle and Alan didn't have anyone telling them to think of the rings in any particular way, and so went imagination-bananas. Walk through walls? Ok, that's something you can do with a magic ring. No reason you shouldn't be able.

There's at least one issue where Kyle "opened his mind" and all kinds of random insane poo poo poured out of the ring.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Isn't Baz's deal? I stopped reading dc a little bit after he was introduced

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, Baz seemed to think of the ring as a wish-granting device, and while another lantern was telling him "no man, it can't do the thing you're trying to do" he did it anyway.

Of course that was framed in Johns' favorite "stubborness = power" trope, but still. Baz was kinda cool.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

WickedHate posted:

Tomar-Re hosed up saving Krypton and you don't see him crying about it. Maybe that's just because fish can't cry, though.

I actually wanted to ask about that. What the hell does he say when he meets Superman? Also, it's different. Krypton blew up because the Kryptonians were idiots. John got cocky and wiped a people out of existence.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't know if Tomar-Re ever has met Superman. Although if you wanna talk true responsibility, it was actually masterminded by Despair of the Endless because he figured a planet's lone survivor would result in the ultimate :smith:.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

WickedHate posted:

I don't know if Tomar-Re ever has met Superman. Although if you wanna talk true responsibility, it was actually masterminded by Despair of the Endless because he figured a planet's lone survivor would result in the ultimate :smith:.

Tomar's existed for 50 years. I refuse to believe he's never met Superman. It's Superman. People who aren't even in the DC Universe have met Superman.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SonicRulez posted:

Much like the issue with Barry I think the wrestling fan in me has gotten comfortable using Roman Reigns as an example too often, but it's true with Hal and Barry too. They're guys who are just ok at best, but Geoff Johns and other writers swear that they're the absolute greatest and gently caress you if you disagree with that.

Much like with Roman Reigns, I'm far more interested in his violent-scumbag-with-a-heart-of-gold friend.

Oh man. Cast Dean Ambrose as Guy Gardner!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gavok posted:

Much like with Roman Reigns, I'm far more interested in his violent-scumbag-with-a-heart-of-gold friend.

Oh man. Cast Dean Ambrose as Guy Gardner!

This is it. The perfect fan casting.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I haven't followed wrestling since I was in Jr. High, but Roman Reigns has like, a really cool name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guy Gardner should just always be the latest available person to play Flash Thompson.