Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Keep in mind your stuff will eventually burn away, though a wooden weapon on fire will deal extra damage.

Last time, we got ourselves a giant horse!

It has no stamina so can't be spurred to dash like Spockle can. However, our new horse is really great at trampling wild animals to death, so in the end it's kind of a wash.

Plus, how can't you love a face like that?

After a close vote, we ended up going with Ganonhoof. Works for me!

Despite abandoning Spockle in the wilderness, since we can obviously only have one horse out at a time Spockle teleports back to the stable. Less for us to do!

Horse bond builds slowly, but there is a handy trick to raising it.

https://f.mega64.net/botw/u11/011.mp4

Each apple fed to a horse raises its bond by ten. Horses like being fed, go figure.

If you like, I can change out its gear or maybe...

I'm sorry, but I don't think I have any gear that'd fit such a large horse, and I bet it wouldn't like its mane handled... I'm so sorry about that.

No fancy new flowery mane for Ganonhoof, sadly.

That takes care of our side stuff! Now back to our original goal, traveling to where the sword told us to go.

For now, we'll take the road north and then to the east until we hit unknown territory. We'll figure out what to do from there.

Another one bites the dust.

Right after hitting the fork, something pops out in the distance.

Always down for another shrine!

...except these. I don't like the combat trials. They're pretty much all the same thing.

There's an empty room, usually with pillars, sometimes without.

Music: Shrine Battle

Then a Guardian Scout appears, one more souped up than the ones you usually face in the puzzle shrines.

They all play very similar. They'll fire projectiles until you get close range.

Then they'll attack with whatever weapons they have. Some will have a sword, spear, and axe. Some, like this one, has a shield to block attacks.

The goal is to wallop it until it falls. Guardian weapons work well on them.

https://f.mega64.net/botw/u11/033.mp4

There's three phases for them. In the first, they'll occasionally spin right at you. The best way to evade it is hiding behind a pillar, making the scout hit the pillar and stop long enough to get beat up.

After taking damage, this attack changes to one where the scout spins a laser in an increasingly large radius.

This conveniently creates an updraft that lets you evade it and shoot arrows at it. An arrow in the eye deals solid damage and can stun it.

Of course, if you get hit by the laser you may get stunlocked until the scout stops the attack. Luckily it won't do more damage, just knock you back a good distance.

Once it's low on health, the scout stops attacking completely and stays in place to charge up its laser. At this point, you'll want to finish it off quickly.

Else it'll shoot off several powerful bursts that will likely kill you. If you somehow survive, it'll just start charging again until defeated.

I get KOed that round, so I drink my Attack Elixir and go to town.

These are a lot more difficult your first time through, but once you've learned the battle system they're pretty simple even at the very beginning. Having some good weapons help, of course.

The sword and shield are handy. Definitely not bad loot for the fight!

There's always a treasure chest at the end. This one is...not so great considering we already have metal boomerangs three times as powerful. But if you're looking for that classic Zelda boomerang design, there you go.

The combat trials also have different text when you complete them. Other than that, you still get a spirit orb as usual.

Right outside is another thing that boosts max hearts. Handy to have!

Back from the way we came are travelers. You'll see them a lot on the roads.

But when I wandered into Faron Woods without a map and got lost... I tell ya - I just about lost my mind. But enough about me...

Some will sell certain items. Nothing too interesting right now for us.

A new type of mushroom in the forest. Plenty of these around.

Pass some enemies on the way...

And then we see a suspicious-looking flower to the side.

Gotta take care of the enemies here. The Bokoblins go down with no effort.

This statue doesn't do anything, but it's still pretty interesting, don't you think?

Lizalfos are also little threat. Took out two with one boomerang!

Anyway, when we hit this flower...

...a new one pops up elsewhere. Your only clue is an audio queue in the direction it pops up. Hope you have surround!

There's five flowers that pop up. The last one is blue, and hitting it gets us...

...you already know, don't you.

I'm swimming in these drat seeds by now.

More travelers.

You know, there are ancient ruins hidden away in Faron Woods. I would never go, but overgrown ruins sound so...romantic!

A traveler who got lost in Faron Woods said he saw a dragon-shaped river, which made me really curious...

Music: Musician (Kass' Song)

And up ahead...

https://f.mega64.net/botw/u11/081.mp4

I really love this song, and I really love this character.

Th-that there...on your hip!

Wait...a bird person?

Ah, Rito. The Rito show up in Wind Waker as one of the major races. They're said to have evolved from the Zoras, though in this game both races exist which...sure, why not.

This is Kass. We'll be seeing a lot of him through our adventures.

We've got amnesia and don't remember a thing, so tell us about them.

Ancient songs - song that sing the praises of a hero who beat back the Calamity in an age past. I know a song about this place.

Sure!

Excellent! Without further ado...

https://f.mega64.net/botw/u11/092.mp4

Where the forest dragon splays its jaws, A shrine sleeps with noble cause.

Though I suppose the forest from the song could be the Damel Forest, north of here. There's definitely a secret lying in wait - it's just a matter of tracking it down.

We've got our first shrine quest! These quests, oddly enough, unlock shrines.

It sounds like the forest is to the north. As for where the dragon splays its jaws...

...that traveler from before said the river looks like a dragon. Doesn't Dracozu Lake look like a pair of maws to you?

Oh, another puzzle.

But first, a chest.

So, this seems simple. Two metal rocks on pedestals, a third empty pedestal, and a third rock in the water.

https://f.mega64.net/botw/u11/105.mp4

...It's not that simple. These two rocks are chained together, so even activating one will move the other, making it very difficult to land both at the same time. If only we could lock one in place...

Oh, we can!

I spent far too much time fooling around on this before I figured it out. You can probably tell since it's night in this screenshot.

And there we go!

Next time, we'll investigate the forest for that shrine and then enter new territory. What awaits us there?

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread