Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

anakha posted:

Quickdraw

Looks like the Sentinel, Centurion, Charger, and myself can get into position to put a hurting on the Urbie next turn.

I'm looking at running to 1937 or 2037, leaving 1938 to the Centurion since he can get there at a full run.

Sentinel, where are you planning to go?

Sentinel

I'm going for 1836, letting the Charger have 1936 so it can slam-dunk the Urbie into the stadium the following turn.

If I'm reading the patrol routes right, the NE scout will move to 2336 at the start of its next turn, which will make the entire 2336-1042 line hot. It seems to be a 9/14, too, so let's try not to alert it yet.

Von Rohrs, Centurion, Roughneck Frosty, that means either heading NW to form up with the bugs, or NE to 1538/1438/1439.

Quickdraw, you should be able to engage the Urbie from 1737 without getting spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Mary Annette posted:

If I'm reading the patrol routes right, the NE scout will move to 2336 at the start of its next turn, which will make the entire 2336-1042 line hot. It seems to be a 9/14, too, so let's try not to alert it yet.

Von Rohrs, Centurion, Roughneck Frosty, that means either heading NW to form up with the bugs, or NE to 1538/1438/1439.

Quickdraw, you should be able to engage the Urbie from 1737 without getting spotted.

I'm comparing that scout's position the previous turn and if it follows the patrol route, I think it'll end up in 2836, not 2336. If I'm correct, we should be fine to gang up on the Urbie.

However, the scout's current position in 2532 gives it LOS to the Urbie right now. It's definitely going to see the Urbie get clobbered anyway, even if we ourselves aren't in LOS, so expect it at best to break patrol routes to investigate, and at worst get alerted. Better to have all Mechs that can advance to that general area be on hand to gank it in this scenario.

E: Thanks for the 1737 suggestion, by the way. I hadn't considered that I was at an intersection and had that option.

anakha fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 16, 2017

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Mary Annette posted:

The arrow on the patrol path is also a stopping location, so it'll actually stop on 2836.

You're still right, though, since the scout will move past 2833, making 2833-1042 hot.

The other hot lines are 2532-1835 and 2836-2140.

The maroon and red line is where you'll get spotted by just moving or stopping, and the red lines are places to avoid ending your turn or else you'll probably get spotted. (Which you may or may not care about.)

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 16, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think you guys are quickly approaching the point where maintaining stealth will stop being practical, but you've taken out an entire Star's worth of mediums at this point so things will probably even out if you manage to take out the last two patrollers, one of which will see you if you pile in on the urbie.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I like how there's a conga line of death where half our team is located

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Casual reminder that orders are due tonight.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

No one told me it's a bad idea, so moving up to alpha strike that urbie. RIP Trashcan2 (hopefully). Only downside is that my ECM will be overlapping the other patroller's active probe, so even disregarding him being able to watch the cadet explode in HD LOS, that would probably tip the Clanners off as well. Maybe.

edit: orders posted here for posterity. There's still time to amend this in the event goon pandemonium breaks out

MOVEMENT:
Run forward 2 hexes to Hex 2142 (2mp)
Rotate 1 hex facing to face Hex 2141 (1mp)
Run forward 3 hexes to Hex 2139 (3mp)

SHOOTING:
Contingency 1: If the Urbanmech IIC is still alive, then:
Fire 4 Medium Lasers at the Urbanmech IIC in Hex 1936
Fire 2 LBX with Slug Ammo at the Urbanmech IIC in Hex 1936
Fire 3 LRM-5 at the Urbanmech IIC in Hex 1936

mercenarynuker fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 17, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Roughneck "Frosty"

I'm going to be moving to 1439 facing 1438. No guns this turn, due to lack of targets. I can't get LOS on that Urbie no matter what I do, and this should declutter that line of advance, plus offer more options for the next few turns. It's also out of LOS of the scout wheeling around on the right.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spider

Holding position on the roof up here.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Quickdraw

Orders sent - running to 1737 and firing on the Urbie.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Roughneck DSI
Heading to 0638.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sentinel

Moving to 1836, shooting whatever I can at whatever I can.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

vorebane posted:

If clanners were competent I'd be afraid that a parachute would be a tell.

Rookie sees a parachute: Wow, they're really going all out this mission forcing us to do practice ejections.

Vet sees a parachute: Urgh, which stupid rookie fatfingered his eject.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Looks like someone went and made the first 3 primitive mechs and ran them into each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ouLX8Q9UM

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

dis astranagant posted:

Looks like someone went and made the first 3 primitive mechs and ran them into each other

Yeah, I watched it tonight; was so staged and rehearsed, it might as well have been a play.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Indeed

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

dis astranagant posted:

Haven't they been hyping this forever?

Still, y'know. Baby steps. Can't expect a Timber Wolf right out the door. That required at least 3 cultural collapses to be created.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

painedforever posted:

Haven't they been hyping this forever?

Still, y'know. Baby steps. Can't expect a Timber Wolf right out the door. That required at least 3 cultural collapses to be created.

I suppose. First step is literally First Steps, get them Boston Dynamic boys to scale up their working bipedal walker.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
WElp gently caress I sent my orders in after midnight but probably before poptarts wakes up to care. Centurions just moving up the street, dont have the movement to get anywhere with lines of sight so that is all i can do.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Jade Star posted:

WElp gently caress I sent my orders in after midnight but probably before poptarts wakes up to care. Centurions just moving up the street, dont have the movement to get anywhere with lines of sight so that is all i can do.

Centurion can get to 1538 and have LOS to the Urbie, I believe.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

anakha posted:

Centurion can get to 1538 and have LOS to the Urbie, I believe.

1538 does not have LoS, but the Centurion can and should go up that way anyhow, to get ready for the next ambush.

You still have time to send in orders.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/18/giant-robot-fight-usa-japan-megabots/

The international giant robot fight finally happened. Complete with knockdowns and (slow) punchfights.

Edit: And sad attempts to claim total US victory.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 18, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The actual broadcast was so cheesy it was basically unwatchable (IMO).

Still, you have to start somewhere I guess.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I had fun watching it. Yeah, it was short and kinda hokey, but it's all in the name of fun and Living the Dream of Giant Robot Battles. :unsmith:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Oh, but speaking of that. Was that George Ledoux doing the voiceovers for tower command in the MechWarrior style "testing" video before the fight? It sounded like it, but it could have been someone just trying to ape his style, since the whole thing was MechWarrior inspired.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure it was him.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

Agreed. I definitely feel like it was him doing the intro at the beginning of the video.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Snake Pit 9

“poo poo,” Korean Robert’s targeting computer flashed a lock-on warning. He’d been trying to slow his heavy Roughneck, but had stepped out into the open for just a moment. A moment had been more than enough for the Clan scout ‘Mech to spot him. This one wasn’t in the flat gray that seemed to signify a cadet, but instead sported the mottled brown and tan of a line unit. It had barrel-shaped arms, and as it stooped it resembled nothing so much as a gorilla with a bird-like beak.

Manlike and swift, the Clan machine spun in place before kicking in its Jump Jets. Robert tried to line up a shot, but it was already too late. Instead of fleeing down one of the numerous side-streets and alleys, the Clan machine instead leapt to the top of the parking garage beside him, and vanished out of sight.

“I’ve been spotted,” he transmitted to the only ‘Mech in range. “It may be time to abandon stealth. Do you have a line to anyone else?”

“Just the two of us, we’re cut off from the bulk of the company.” Captain D’antonio sounded tinny, her voice cut off as the Mongoose twisted and the lasercomms briefly broke connection. “… not detecting an increase in Clan chatter, they haven’t reported us yet.”

“Well, let’s just hope the rest of the company is still doing alright. They probably spotted the jumper, at least. We’re only half a kilometer from the closest potential objective site—it’s about a minute out for me, if I push straight for it.”

“Don’t rush things, Robert,” the Captain cautioned. “I’ve got overall command but this is your city, so if you say go loud, we’re going loud. I’m just a sneaky backstabber who wants to wait for the last possible instant before we lose the element of surprise.”

Movement Phase
Horned Owl
- Chance to detect Roughneck DSI (10 base - 5 piloting skill + 3 target weight class - 2 rear arc = 6): rolled 6, succeeds!

Shooting Phase
Roughneck DSI (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 22!

Roughneck 3A (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 36!

Bandersnatch (Player)
- Fires Medium Laser at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 low profile = 10): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (0/10 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 10, hit Left Torso (3/8 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires LB-10X Autocannon (Slug) at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (0/5 structure remaining)! Arm blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Left Torso (0/8 armor, 5/7 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires LB-10X Autocannon (Slug) at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, hit Right Torso (0/7 structure remaining)! Torso destroyed! Arm blown off!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (6/11 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-5 at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 20!

Centurion (Player)
- Charges PPC Capacitor
- Gains 7 heat, sinks 30!

Mongoose (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 20!

Hitman (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 20!

Sentinel (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 low profile + 2 minimum range = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 low profile = 8): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 low profile = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 7 heat, sinks 20!

Spider (Player)
- Holds fire
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 23!

Charger (Player)
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 low profile - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 9, hit Left Torso (0/5 structure remaining)! Torso destroyed!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (5/11 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 low profile - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 11, hit Center Torso (0/11 armor, 9/10 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Fires LRM-20 w/Artemis IV at Urbanmech IIC (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 low profile + 2 minimum range = 10): rolled 10, 16 missiles hit Center Torso (4/10 structure remaining (Crit!)), Center Torso (0/10 structure remaining (’Mech Destroyed!)), Center Torso, Center Torso!
- Gains 16 heat, sinks 24!

Quickdraw (Player)
- Primary target already destroyed!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 36!

Von Rohrs (Player)
- No valid targets!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 32!

Urbanmech IIC
- Extended torso-twists to threaten hex 1936!
- Fires Ultra AC/10 (Ultra) at Charger (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires ER Small Laser at Charger (4 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 20!

Map Link

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Half-Blind – Enemy scout units are marked by blips, they are patrolling along set paths. If line of sight is established the players have 3 turns to destroy enemy scouts, or two turns to destroy enemy Star Commanders before reinforcements are summoned.

Primary Objectives
- Find and Destroy enemy command post (0/1)
- Evade or Destroy enemy scouts (3/5)

Secondary Objectives
- Destroy alerted enemies before they can call for assistance
- - Horned Owl (2 turns remaining)
- - Mist Lynx (2 turns remaining (alerted via active probe))

This Turn's Betting Pool Points
Unknown #4 – Mist Lynx
- Gun Jam (Mist Lynx)

Leaderboard
- Gun Jam - 12 points (it’s still possible for someone else to take first place if they guess #8, #9, and #10 correctly!)
- TheParadigm - 4 points
- Goatface - 4 points
- Raverrn - 3 points
- jng2058 - 3 points
- Scintilla - 1 point
- Farraday - 1 point

Hint: We have seen one medium, which means there is 1 light, 1 medium, and 1 heavy ‘Mech remaining.

Orders Due: Midnight Saturday!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Urbie noooooooo!

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

A 2/2 cadet?!? Either someone pissed off their CO bad enough to get busted all the way back to basic training, or that's Amuro Rey himself in that Mist Lynx.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

AUGH YEAH

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rest in peace, urbs

Anywho, Quickdraw and Charger might have LOS on the Horned Owl if they get on the rim of that stadium and the Spider can definitely out-jump it, but as the fluff implies it might be better to move forward towards the primary and try to clear out who you can before things go really loud, which at this point looks like the absurdly gifted Mist Lynx.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Night10194 posted:

Urbie noooooooo!

It died accomplishing nothing much at all besides calling in it's Star Commander, a much bigger threat that was still focused down quickly enough. Fitting for an Urbie, I guess.

Shame about the double spot, it doesn't seem like there's anyone in a good position to deal with the Mist Lynx in time, but we'll see how they move in the next couple of turns, I guess. Looks like it's pilot has some presence of mind to begin moving away to report, and may survive to do so because of that. Might be time to go loud after all, but try and draw out your stealth time as long as possible.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

That Mist Lynx took one look at the Von Rohrs and decided to book it. That's hardly Clanlike behavior- no wonder they're still a cadet.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Spider

I could try DFA'ing the Horned Owl and knocking it into that Height 2 space it's standing next to! :buddy: :black101:

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sentinel

Here's my take: The Charger and I can put some fire on the Mist Lynx (8s for the gauss and LRMs, 10s for the mpls) and pray for a legging. Even if we get it, though, we don't have much that can engage the Horned Falcon this turn. Everyone should be able to break LOS with it, though. Might be time for a full push north?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

It's a shame we can't get a push lined up on the Owl.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
With potential detection looming, now seems like a decent time to remind everyone that 'escape' is not currently an objective.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

raverrn posted:

Can we DFA it off the building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

raverrn posted:

W.T. Fits posted:

Spider

I could try DFA'ing the Horned Owl and knocking it into that Height 2 space it's standing next to! :buddy: :black101:

This sounds exactly awesome enough to get my vote. Robert can get into LOS of it by stepping up onto the level 2 building there. Adjacent hexes always have line of sight, regardless of the difference in level. That said, DFAing it onto that level will push Robert off the building if he takes it, so that's something. That also said, I think the Spider jumping this turn alerts the patrolling 'Mech on the major thoroughfare, which I somewhat doubt we're equipped to deal with right now. That also also said, you can line up the DFA against the Horned Owl to push it into the depression in the building even if Robert is also in that hex (five levels lower), and you'll succeed in doing that even if you fail the DFA. :v:

Roughneck "Frosty"

I'm once again outside of effective engagement range of basically everything. To the right side seems significantly more crowded and busy and "I can accidentally gently caress up a bunch of moves if I or anyone else miscounts." Thinking I'll head left and get ready to make good time toward the goal.

• Locked thread