Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Wow Totori is a big step back on like a UI and QoL level from Rorona Plus. I guess they decided it was good enough and didn't touch it up at all when they ported it to Vita and subsequently Switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

halfway into that post I realized that I would totally play a mobage where you had to spend real life quarters on gachapon machines

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

cheetah7071 posted:

Wow Totori is a big step back on like a UI and QoL level from Rorona Plus. I guess they decided it was good enough and didn't touch it up at all when they ported it to Vita and subsequently Switch?

The Vita port came out before Rorona Plus but no they put no more than minimal effort into the new ports.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Okay this is kind of absurdly bad UI so I want to make sure I'm not missing something. Is there really no way to

1) view what a trait on an item does, other than looking up that trait in the library
2) travel between locations in town without walking the long way
3) see the actual percentage chance of success on a synthesis

The writing is engaging almost from the start but this is pretty janky, especially with the insanely long loading times. It's on an SD card and it's low end PS3-era graphics, why does it take 2-3 seconds to enter every battle

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cheetah7071 posted:

Okay this is kind of absurdly bad UI so I want to make sure I'm not missing something. Is there really no way to

1) view what a trait on an item does, other than looking up that trait in the library
2) travel between locations in town without walking the long way
3) see the actual percentage chance of success on a synthesis

The writing is engaging almost from the start but this is pretty janky, especially with the insanely long loading times. It's on an SD card and it's low end PS3-era graphics, why does it take 2-3 seconds to enter every battle

You unlock quick traveling between locations after you get your license.

That's it though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Everyone, I have very bad news. There will never, ever, be another Tales console game. This is not a joke post meant to entertain, please stop laughing. This is news I have conjured from my time scouring the dark web. Namco Bandai have realized the power of the gachapon, and this new mobile game is just a new test market for their real investment, which will be a mobile game where you use your phone camera to scan barcodes located on minifigs which you must buy from actual gachapon machines. This is in conjunction with Namco's newest business partnership with several American companies which will house these machines, the first one being Walgreen's Pharmacy, and the second being Kentucky Fried Chicken where you will also be able to order a new promotional consisting of the flesh and bone of the in-game mascot character. The final company is Dennicker's RV Expo, of which there is only one location in the entire United States, and so fans of this new game must fly or drive to Decorah, Iowa in order to get their unique 5* unit. Again, I am sorry for this post which I just want to remind you has been completely serious and I ask that you respond accordingly, and I will be understanding if you would react in a way that some people might describe as "unreasonably mad."

idk if you're trying to make fun of colonel here but considering lit. every time that phone game gets brought up someone goes 'there will never be another console tales game' even though one's literally already been confirmed, i think its reasonable enough to find it an annoying bit.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't believe the next console Tales game will be a battle royale called Tales of Fortnitia

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I assumed they were making fun of Barudak which is a much more worthwhile endeavour

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I assumed they were making fun of Barudak which is a much more worthwhile endeavour

very true

Really Pants posted:

I can't believe the next console Tales game will be a battle royale called Tales of Fortnitia
DONT LET A TETHEALLA DUDE
GET ALL THE INFINITY TIMBS

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

calling all epic Tales of Fortnitia gamers

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8dRStNJ_kM

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't know anything about Granblue fantasy but I'm always up for Platinum stuff

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Platinum seem to really go for RPGs now, huh. The fighting seems flashy and above all snappy, so it might be cool. I don't have high hopes for the story and characters, though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Why not

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Because it's based on a Japanese mobile game. Also literally every piece of media we've seen so far. It does look better than Xenoblade 2 at least so I'm reserving judgment.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The story and characters are why most people like Granblue. The same goes for FGO, etc.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

kirbysuperstar posted:

The story and characters are why most people like Granblue. The same goes for FGO, etc.

Let's just say that I, personally, think that you just made my point. People play BlazBlue for the 'story' too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's reonistic, let it go. You know how this always ends.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Renoistic posted:

Let's just say that I, personally, think that you just made my point. People play BlazBlue for the 'story' too.

Ok

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Granblue looks like a MP-focused beat em up or whatever so it's probably not super story focused in the first place.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So Platinum is making some sort of White Knight Chronicles in an already established franchise? Can you at least play it offline?

I like Katalina as a lady that isn't dramatic enough for one cape. No she also needs some like butt cape for extra Knightly flair.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Renoistic posted:

Isn't Blazblue a full fledged VN between the fighting bits? Even if you don't like it it doesn't sound like the kind of thing it makes sense to put sarcastic quotations around.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Granblue is good and has good characters and I’m excited to see how many of them make it into this game.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Motto posted:

Granblue looks like a MP-focused beat em up or whatever so it's probably not super story focused in the first place.

Does it? The impression I've been getting is single player action-RPG with a party.

wateyad fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 15, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Where's Djeeta??!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

klapman posted:

Isn't Blazblue a full fledged VN between the fighting bits? Even if you don't like it it doesn't sound like the kind of thing it makes sense to put sarcastic quotations around.

yeah the story mode in blazblue is a straight-up 40 hour vn where the fights just serve as a way to determine your story path and lend more impact to dramatic scenes

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Where's Djeeta??!

Don't worry, she'll be in a promotional gag comic

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
You play as Djeeta if you pick girl as MC.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Man this Phantasy Star release on the Switch is now my favorite. These quality of life improvements now make this game recommend for all my friends who would otherwise hate it.

Faster walking speed.
Fast Forward (have to bind this to a button)
4x Money
Less Encounters
Dungeon Map
Item, Armor, Weapons Lists

It makes that opening grind for $$$ a fuckload quicker.

If you want to play it back in the day like I did as a kid with the original mode you can as well.

My only quirk is that the Pro Controller is causing me to bump into houses and people when I don't want to :smith:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Crabtree posted:

You play as Djeeta if you pick girl as MC.

if they don't let me change sex every chapter like a shapeshifting demon, im gonna be mildly disappointed!!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I only thumbed through the video but it seems weird that Gran is going to just be completely mute even in combat.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Weird grudge.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Renoistic posted:

Blazblue has a better cast and story writing than any Enix RPG.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

The Colonel posted:

yeah the story mode in blazblue is a straight-up 40 hour vn where the fights just serve as a way to determine your story path and lend more impact to dramatic scenes

That's a really weird argument to use against it then. Do they have the first game on PC at all? Sounds interesting and I'd like to give it a shot.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

klapman posted:

That's a really weird argument to use against it then. Do they have the first game on PC at all? Sounds interesting and I'd like to give it a shot.

its on steam and i see it for 3 or 4 bucks in sales sometimes. i dunno if the newer ones include the entire story backlog or are just continuations i havent played any of them

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The Colonel posted:

Huh, I never knew this. Years ago in the MMO I play my guild talked about it a lot, and I figured it was just another pretty 2D arcade fighter like Guilty Gear. This sounds interesting but I'm not really a fan of fighting games. If there was a shmup/run-n-gun/hack-n-slash/etc with vn in between stages (that's not some crappy Tohou poo poo), now that'd be something.

e: forgot to quote this

This sounds fantastic, I like it a lot. Those square waves :allears:

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 15, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
nice photo of watanabe akio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

wateyad posted:

Does it? The impression I've been getting is single player action-RPG with a party.

It does have four player multiplayer, but they've mostly been making noise and showing single player stuff.