Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Arglebargle III posted:

Jesus christ you're all insane! You want Muk to throw another punch to do maybe four damage when her leg is literally about to snap off!? You have two* lasers and an autocannon! SHOOT THE FUCKER! 18 damage is more than 4! You can't keep hoping the dice will give you a break, even if they do the chance of incapacitating the Lucerne is tiny, you are out of options, SHOOT THE BASTARD!

*IS moron techs installed one of them on the rear torso :doh:

Incapacitating the Lucerne is not the mission objective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

he could get lucky and hit something vital like ammo, he might get knocked down in the counter without a leg, but he can work that with the last clanner for one more turn... or work something this one.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Arglebargle III posted:

Jesus christ you're all insane! You want Muk to throw another punch to do maybe four damage when her leg is literally about to snap off!? You have two* lasers and an autocannon! SHOOT THE FUCKER! 18 damage is more than 4! You can't keep hoping the dice will give you a break, even if they do the chance of incapacitating the Lucerne is tiny, you are out of options, SHOOT THE BASTARD!

*IS moron techs installed one of them on the rear torso :doh:

Turn 19: Mukai shoots the Lucerne, does solid damage, but fails to destroy mech.

Turn 20: The Lucerne and the Mugger open fire with everything. The Zeus is vaporized. Mission Failed.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

You think that my other leg has any more substance to it at this point?

No matter. The Wolfhound stood with one leg. I must not fail to match him. The end is near- all that I can do is all that I can do.

Your right leg will actually survive another kick baring a lucky critical.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

AtomikKrab posted:

he could get lucky and hit something vital like ammo, he might get knocked down in the counter without a leg, but he can work that with the last clanner for one more turn... or work something this one.
An ammo crit wouldn't kill the clanner, it has CASE.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

Turn 19: Mukai shoots the Lucerne, does solid damage, but fails to destroy mech.

Turn 20: The Lucerne and the Mugger open fire with everything. The Zeus is vaporized. Mission Failed.

OTOH...

Turn 19: Kick. Possible loss of leg, in which case machine goes down.

Turn 20: Fire while prone to buy one more turn. The Zeus may go down, but that puts us at victory.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Magni posted:

The right leg only has 3 structure left. It just wasn't updated in the mech status part.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

KnoxZone posted:

Nice format.

Turn 19: Back up, fall down.
Turn 20: Stand up, get kicked
Turn 21: Win, make snappy comments about buying time

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Magni posted:

B5 Lucerne kicks L2 Zeus (4 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 Steel Viper in Melee Combat - 1 kick = 5): rolled 7, hit Right Leg (3/17 structure remains)! Critical chance!

B5 Lucerne kicks L2 Zeus (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 Steel Viper in Melee Combat - 1 kick = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (0/24 armor, 8/17 structure remains)! Critical chance!

Neither leg can take anything else.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Xmas Future posted:

An ammo crit wouldn't kill the clanner, it has CASE.

Still two pilot hits and a relatively steep PSR, though.

Mukaikubo posted:

B5 Lucerne kicks L2 Zeus (4 base + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 Steel Viper in Melee Combat - 1 kick = 5): rolled 7, hit Right Leg (3/17 structure remains)! Critical chance!

B5 Lucerne kicks L2 Zeus (4 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 Steel Viper in Melee Combat - 1 kick = 7): rolled 7, hit Left Leg (0/24 armor, 8/17 structure remains)! Critical chance!

Neither leg can take anything else.

Welp, I was looking at the status farther down.:doh:

Edit: And now PTS edited it, too.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
Dude, there's no shame in surrendering, you went way further then anyone thought you would including standing with no feet. poo poo was epic, but poo poo is over.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
I mean, why havn't you pushed him down the hill again? You've had several chances to push him down the hill into the fire and it worked great last time!
I guess you will loose your leg this turn but he will still be hurting if you succeed in pushing him. Not much you can do except hoping he will wiff his kick and fall otherwise.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

SageSepth posted:

Dude, there's no shame in surrendering, you went way further then anyone thought you would including standing with no feet. poo poo was epic, but poo poo is over.

:black101: Surrender? The Unwearied Second does not surrender! :black101:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

SageSepth posted:

Leutnant Samantha Clover will not yield so long as she is capable of fighting, however hobbled.

quote:

I mean, why havn't you pushed him down the hill again? You've had several chances to push him down the hill into the fire and it worked great last time!
I guess you will loose your leg this turn but he will still be hurting if you succeed in pushing him. Not much you can do except hoping he will wiff his kick and fall otherwise.

Because as per last time I tried, the Lucerne got a PSR to avoid falling over on its rear end, and with his skill roll I don't think that's particularly worth considering at this point.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Mukaikubo posted:

Leutnant Samantha Clover will not yield so long as she is capable of fighting, however hobbled.

Because as per last time I tried, the Lucerne got a PSR to avoid falling over on its rear end, and with his skill roll I don't think that's particularly worth considering at this point.

Counterargument: these woods are made out of slip-and-slides and any fall has a good chance of knocking Sam out again.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I think this fight was lost when the Steiner Rules were introduced. Can you imagine how much easier it would have gone had Marik Rules been introduced instead? The Lucerne and Mugger must fight amongst each other, civil war style, with the winner allowed to fight the Zeus.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

I think this fight was lost when the Steiner Rules were introduced. Can you imagine how much easier it would have gone had Marik Rules been introduced instead? The Lucerne and Mugger must fight, with the winner allowed to fight the Zeus.

Marik Rules would have the players shooting at each other for twenty turns while the Clans stand there wondering what the gently caress is going on. Also, a nuke will be involved that only judicious use of machineguns will save everyone from.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Marik Rules would have the players shooting at each other for twenty turns while the Clans stand there wondering what the gently caress is going on. Also, a nuke will be involved that only judicious use of machineguns will save everyone from.

Like I said: Easy win.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

Are you saying the machineguns are used to shoot down the nuclear explosion coming at you, because I can totally get behind this.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

At this point, I think explaining my rationale (as I did to PTN in a PM) might help things. Or it might set everything on fire with YOU IDIOT MUKAI again. Who can say?

At this point I am down to trying to pick the least worst of a veritable bouquet of feces for an order. Do I come about and push him down the hill, knowing that I will lose a leg on a roll of, oh, 5 or more for his attack on a 2d6 and THEN fall and take damage- with a 50/50 shot of knocking me out? While hoping he fails a PSR at 4 to fall down himself to keep him from coming after me quite so effectively on turn 20? Do I run into the open and deliver one last pair of punches hoping for an absolute miracle to blow half his torso apart and make him fail a consciousness check from the damage? Or do I backflop into the burning woods while making what appears to be a good faith effort to present a more heavily armored section of my mech to his foot- a valid action in a duel- and hope I can stand up on turn 20 and give him one last boot before the time limit ends and just hope like hell none of my falls end the game via unconsciousness?

I passed the point of having options I liked about 10 turns ago. At this point, it is clawing for turns- and I figure this is still the least worst option. Despite the second guessing; which, I should note, is totally fine. In the end, I had to pick an action that might end the game for myself. Because I figured the odds were very, very marginally better of winning if I did. No regrets.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Mukaikubo posted:

At this point, I think explaining my rationale (as I did to PTN in a PM) might help things. Or it might set everything on fire with YOU IDIOT MUKAI again. Who can say?

At this point I am down to trying to pick the least worst of a veritable bouquet of feces for an order. Do I come about and push him down the hill, knowing that I will lose a leg on a roll of, oh, 5 or more for his attack on a 2d6 and THEN fall and take damage- with a 50/50 shot of knocking me out? While hoping he fails a PSR at 4 to fall down himself to keep him from coming after me quite so effectively on turn 20? Do I run into the open and deliver one last pair of punches hoping for an absolute miracle to blow half his torso apart and make him fail a consciousness check from the damage? Or do I backflop into the burning woods while making what appears to be a good faith effort to present a more heavily armored section of my mech to his foot- a valid action in a duel- and hope I can stand up on turn 20 and give him one last boot before the time limit ends and just hope like hell none of my falls end the game via unconsciousness?

I passed the point of having options I liked about 10 turns ago. At this point, it is clawing for turns- and I figure this is still the least worst option. Despite the second guessing; which, I should note, is totally fine. In the end, I had to pick an action that might end the game for myself. Because I figured the odds were very, very marginally better of winning if I did. No regrets.

Does it involve machineguns or machinegun ammo? Otherwise, you're a fool.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

TildeATH posted:

Does it involve machineguns or machinegun ammo? Otherwise, you're a fool.

Incidentally, I am offering 15% odds of a Steiner victory at this point. Seems about right given the hurdles left. Whatever happens, this has been far too much fun, and I am going to have to knife fight someone in future contests for the right to cameo or do other stuff in future fights to try to wring a little more fun out- since the queue at this point means I will next show up in the rotation in, oh, 2013 or so! :v:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You should have asked for a few minutes break while you found your dropped contact lens.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

goatface posted:

You should have asked for a few minutes break while you found your dropped contact lens.

That's a convenient technology that makes perfect sense, so it's probably LosTech.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

TildeATH posted:

Are you saying the machineguns are used to shoot down the nuclear explosion coming at you, because I can totally get behind this.

No, machine guns save you because they don't use heat.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Who would like a little video to get you all in the right mood for the denouement of this battle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeNBJ5o-b7s

Sadness at the loss- pride at the fight.

"They never ran out of courage. But in the end, they ran out of time."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
"They were never defeated, they were only killed."

--saying about the French Foreign Legion Unwearied Second

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

run down a level, to present heavier armor, torso twist and punch his legs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Very hard to accomplish when it takes 4 mp to run down the hill you're referring to (1 for the hex, 1 for the level change, 2 for the heavy woods); and you have only 3 mp and need to turn around first.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I've been looking for the first color plate from FM:LA ("Through solidarity, we will triumph!") for days, but I am not sure it exists without me destroying my book.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I recommend a Blazing Saddles style "Nobody move or the friend of the family gets it!" moment of holding yourself hostage to stall for time.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

I've been looking for the first color plate from FM:LA ("Through solidarity, we will triumph!") for days, but I am not sure it exists without me destroying my book.

Camospecs probably has it. Which unit are you looking for, exactly?

2nd Donegal Guards

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Nah, it's a LCAF recruiting poster from 3061, I think? All the Field Manuals had a recruitment poster for the first of the color insert pages. Some were awesome, and some (ComStar) were hideous.

Though I have congratulated the guy who did that Griffin personally cause holy poo poo.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Going through my PDFs, I think I might post some of this stuff. It's, uh, 15 years in the future (Era Report 3052) but it's either this or the 80s FASA art for the major players. So enjoy. For what it's worth it is the most recent art of most of these people.

Here's Archon Melissa Steiner.

First Prince William ShatnerHanse Davion.

Khan Natasha Kerensky.

And Coordinator Takashi Kurita.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Mukai just ask for the unconditional surrender of the Clanners. The pure confusion it would induce and balls of the statement should buy at least a turn or two.

-edit- 80's hair ahoy!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Vipers of Somerset: Tactical Update 20

Movement Phase
Random Ace Beta: B5 Lucerne!
Random Ace Gamma: G2 Unknown Assault 2!

L2 backs into hex 1608—insufficient MP, L2 Zeus falls!
L2 Zeus suffers falling damage to Right Arm (14/22 armor remains), Right Leg (0/17 structure remains)! ‘Mech disabled!
L2 Zeus must make a piloting test to avoid pilot damage (5 base + 0 hexes moved + 1 previously destroyed foot actuator + 1 trying to avoid pilot damage + 5 leg destroyed = 12): rolled 5, fails!

L2 Zeus must pass a 7+ consciousness test: rolled 3, fails!

B4 Mugger walks to 1413!

Combat Phase:
L2 Zeus holds fire
L2 Zeus gains 1 heat, sinks 17! Now at Overheat 0!

B4 holds fire!
B4 Mugger gains 2 heat, sinks 28! Now at overheat 0!

B5 Lucerne holds fire!
B5 Lucerne gains 0 heat, sinks 26! Now at overheat 0!

End Phase

Physical Combat Phase:

End Phase:

L2 Zeus gains 10 heat due to fire, sinks 17! Now at overheat 0!

B5 Lucerne gains 10 heat due to fire, sinks 26! Now at overheat 0!

Consciousness Rolls for the next 5 turns: 3, 5, 3, 4, 7 (this battle is over)

Sam’s retreat was the correct decision intellectually, tactically, and every other way that mattered—her battered Zeus couldn’t stand up under another kick and she knew it. Unfortunately, it wasn’t the wise choice mechanically. The Zeus’ legs, stressed by heat and the tortuous beating at the hands of the Lucerne, just didn’t work.

Certainly, the actuators worked—but the myomer musculature that supported the eighty-ton death machine barely responded to Sam’s controls. Her first step backwards was also her last; her ‘Mech’s right leg screamed as tortured, fatigued metal simply sheared off just above the knee. Sam had been expecting a fall, planning on it—but not so soon. She’d been hoping for a controlled slide down the hill; a fall that would let her minimize the threat of her own cockpit.

Instead, she just rattled around inside it like the last bean in a tin-can as her ride came crashing down onto the forest floor.

Caught between her left joystick and her primary monitor, Sam’s arm snapped like a twig. The last thing she noticed before blacking out were vibrant green laser pulses as the Clanner—either out of some misguided mercy or darker motives—began blasting the forest around her to splinters.

He probably just wants a look at my ‘Mech, she thought darkly as she fell back into unconsciousness.

Enemy Forces:
B4 Mugger: Waiting to move!
B5 Lucerne: Remains stationary!
G1 Unknown Assault 1: Remains Stationary!
G2 Unknown Assault 2: Remains Stationary!
G3 Unknown Assault 3: Remains Stationary!
G4 Unknown Assault 4: Remains Stationary!
G5 Unknown Assault 5: Remains Stationary!

Mission Objectives
Defeat Beta Star!
(Failed)
Survive! (19/20 Turns) (Failed)

Ace Note: Previous turn's movement will be in black, current turn's movement will be in green!
Whoops Note: I forgot to put the Mugger on the map. Whoops.

CP-10-Z Cyclops
Notes: Destroyed by ammunition explosion!

ZEU-6S Zeus
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 4/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 18/18 (17/17)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 21/26 (25/25)
CT R A(S): 9/9
RT A(S): 10/18 (17/17)
RT R A(S): 3/6
LA A(S): 4/22 (13/13)
RA A(S): 14/22 (13/13)
LL A(S): 0/24 (8/17)
RL A(S):0/24 (0/17)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 17
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Leutnant Samantha Clover
Mechwarrior Player: Mukaikubo
Mechwarrior Status: Sprained Back, Severe Concussion, Broken Arm (consciousness 7+)!
Armament:
Large Laser – LT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
LRM 15 – RA (Heat: 5, Ammo: 1, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser (REAR) – LT(R) (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Autocannon/5 – LA (Heat: 1, Ammo: 1, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: Left Foot Actuator Destroyed! Right Foot Actuator Destroyed!
Notes: No hands

BNC-3S Banshee
Notes: ‘Mech destroyed, pilot killed!

WLF-1 Wolfhound
Notes: ‘Mech destroyed, pilot taken by the Clans!

Rommel Tank:
Notes: Tank destroyed, crew escaped into the woods!

Enemy Status
Beta Krait
B1 Battle Cobra
Critical Damage: Destroyed!
Notes: Counts as rough terrain!

B2 Thunderchild
Tonnage: 50
Critical Damage: Right Arm Destroyed!
Notes: Retreated off map!

B3 Copperhead
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: Forced off map!

B4 Mugger
Tonnage: 65
Target: CP-10-Z Cyclops!
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Azael
Pilot: Piloting 4, Gunnery 3
Overheat Penalty: None!
Armament: Unknown
Notes:

B5 Lucerne
Tonnage: 65
Target: ZEU-6S Zeus
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Drang
Notes: Equipped with ECM, using ECM to generate Ghost Targets!

Gamma Boa
G1 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Target: None Possible!
Pilot Name: ???
Notes:

G2 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Notes:

G3 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 85
Notes:

G4 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 90
Notes:

G5 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 95
Pilot Name: Star Colonel Dusk
Pilot: Piloting 2, Gunnery 1
Notes:

After-Action Report:
Ouch, our first loss of the LP. This will have ramifications. You won’t get to see exactly what until the story update; but there are a lot of forces in motion right now. That said, I was expecting this to go far, far worse for the players. The turn the Banshee took that headshot, I figured it was all over.

We need MVPs again, for the 2nd Donegal Guards and for the Steel Vipers; and I imagine this one’s going to be really close.

Since your also probably curious, the current status of the Clan ‘Mechs is:
B4 Mugger
HD A(S): 2 armor remains
LT A(S): 17 armor remains
LT R A(S): 9 armor remains
CT A(S): 16 armor remains
CT R A(S): 8 armor remains
RT A(S): 17 armor remains
RT R A(S): 9 armor remains
LA A(S): 8 armor remains
RA A(S): 13 armor remains
LL A(S): 0 armor, 8 structure remains
RL A(S): 16 armor remains

B5 Lucerne
HD A(S): 9 armor remains
LT A(S): 5 armor remains
LT R A(S): 8 armor remains
CT A(S): 11 armor remains
CT R A(S): 10 armor remains
RT A(S): 2 armor remains
RT R A(S): 8 armor remains
LA A(S): 4 armor remains
RA A(S): 0 armor remains
LL A(S): 28 armor remains
RL A(S): 15 armor remains

So yeah, you really beat the hell out of ‘em. Congratulations, guys; this scenario was designed to be tough as hell and you came within inches of pulling it off anyway.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That was the style in the 80s, and then again for much of the mid-31st century.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
All things considered despite the loss I'd say it's hard to feel bad about the outcome. We went up against a superior Clan force and almost pulled out a victory, and we didn't give up until our machines could take no more :black101:

Still I think we may have pulled it off if the Banshee hadn't been taken out so quickly.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Goodnight, sweet princess.

For MVP: I think I am going with the Cyclops for the work it did on my Thunderchild and the Copperhead, and the Mugger for taking out the Wolfhound and Cyclops, while also savaging the Rommel.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Our MVP has got to be Samantha, for making up Steiner Rules and buying us a ton of time.

Theirs is... probably the one that head-capped the Banshee, cause that changed everything.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 18, 2011

• Locked thread