Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
my home office is right on the brink of being out of wi-fi range, so everything at my desk gets plugged in to the wired network: phone, ipad, laptop, older laptop, desktop

also means my phone is constantly charging/charged while working, but 🤷‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

one thing that sucks about the iphone mini is that the battery, being smaller and needing to be recharged more often, degrades faster

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

corona familiar posted:

fwiw apple should have a setting to limit charge. maybe as a developer option

but I guess that would eat into their repair revenue so who knows if we'll ever see it happen

they do

Silver Alicorn posted:

apple has an option to only charge to 80% if you keep your phone on charge all the time. maybe I should try it, I've never actually driven my battery lower than 55%

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

there’s also people who very aggressively disable that setting like no I will have my battery at 100% at all times then act shocked when they have 70% health after 3 years. I remember an apple podcaster, already one of the dumbest guys in tech by default, being offended that this was enabled by default on the early m1 ultra mbps like it was his divine right to always have it maxed out.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I purchased my 14 exactly one year ago and battery is currently at 90%. Which is kinda funny given that my three years and change XR is at 95%. The new phone last less than the XR as i'm doing the daily plug in at sixty something instead of the seventy plus of the old one. Exactly the same set of apps.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
5G has a pretty big impact on battery life

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

where exactly is this setting? I see a setting that will charge the battery to 80% and then slowly go up to 100%, but no setting to ONLY charge to 80%. Perhaps I’m blind?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FlapYoJacks posted:

where exactly is this setting? I see a setting that will charge the battery to 80% and then slowly go up to 100%, but no setting to ONLY charge to 80%. Perhaps I’m blind?

iPhone 15 and 15 pro only. If you got anything older you can only do optimized charging and not charge limits.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

aw dang my 11 pro is down to 76% health. seems a little bad for a 5-year-old phone?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

iPhone 15 and 15 pro only. If you got anything older you can only do optimized charging and not charge limits.

That is an incredibly dumb limitation! :argh:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

its worse if you use wireless charging, for reasons
temperature cycling. If you can, charge your phone with a low power wired charger and use the optimized charging. It's especially bad on pads with no alignment magnets because they're so inefficient (and thus get warmer).

SlowBloke posted:

That's the most asinine bullshit, goddamn

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 16, 2024

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Juul-Whip posted:

one thing that sucks about the iphone mini is that the battery, being smaller and needing to be recharged more often, degrades faster

yeah, it would probably have turned out a lot better even slightly larger, because i've wound up fully cycling it a lot, and it is now degraded quite badly (causing even more deep cycles). but not much point wishing for improvements of a phone they wont be making another one of anyway (and to be clear if there's a surprise 16 mini i'm buying a 16 mini).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Lysidas posted:

my home office is right on the brink of being out of wi-fi range, so everything at my desk gets plugged in to the wired network: phone, ipad, laptop, older laptop, desktop

why wouldn't you just extend your wireless network?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
does apple intelligence mean that mean siri on my watch will respond when i'm staring right at it asking it to set a timer instead of the siri on someone else's phone halfway across the drat room? do i even need to ask?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Chris Knight posted:

woke up to find my Mini at like 5% battery, turns out the charge cable wasn't plugged in like I thought when I went to bed.

but still! going from like 40% to 5% overnight when not doing anything seemed pretty sus, so I checked the Battery usage settings, and fuckin AdGuard Pro shows as being active for an hour for each hour lol

make sure you have adguard running in native dns mode (it installs a device profile) instead of the weird local vpn thing it used to use. that'd eat up a lot of resources sometimes and it's a relatively recent change, so if you haven't janitored the app in a while it might still be set up the old way

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Lysidas posted:

huh, i never thought about trying, but does your carrier's wifi calling work over ethernet? i don't see why it wouldn't but idk apple and carriers can both be weird about poo poo like that

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

my june 23 iphone 15 is still at 100% health 👀

setting a charge limit and charging it mostly slowly really helps

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i keep my phone at 100% charge at all times because that’s way less effort than carefully janitoring my battery in the hopes of avoiding one replacement every few years. it just sits on the wireless charging pad any time I’m at home and not using it and my 2020 se2 is at 89%

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Beeftweeter posted:

huh, i never thought about trying, but does your carrier's wifi calling work over ethernet? i don't see why it wouldn't but idk apple and carriers can both be weird about poo poo like that

it definitely does not, apparently wifi calling is a specific command/mode set in the baseband chip that is wifi-specific

lots of apple stuff also seems to require a apple mac address

i posted a lot more about this stuff in this thread, top of page 4 of my posts in this here apple thread

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Lysidas posted:

it definitely does not, apparently wifi calling is a specific command/mode set in the baseband chip that is wifi-specific

lots of apple stuff also seems to require a apple mac address

i posted a lot more about this stuff in this thread, top of page 4 of my posts in this here apple thread

ahh yeah i see, i kinda figured it'd be something like that. yeah, apple's been using mac address "validation" for probably over a decade now, but that's easy enough to work around

i suspect them explicitly tying wifi calling to a wifi connection (and yeah, there's apis and poo poo to force it to do that) is more of an carrier restriction than an apple one though, having watched its traffic a few times it seems to be SIP that uses the SIM for authentication somehow? idk, i wasn't trying to seriously analyze the protocol or anything, i was just curious so i didn't dig too deep. the one time i tried it over ethernet (with an android phone) it worked, but that was also a pretty drat long time ago, maybe ~2012

as a tangentially related aside, i just switched carriers friday from redpocket to us mobile (redpocket held it up so it actually completed yesterday). USM gives you a choice of carriers, verizon ("warp 5g") or t-mobile ("gsm 5g", plus at&t is imminently coming apparently). they were having trouble doing the port for a pretty interesting reason: i got my iphone through redpocket, so it was locked, but it unlocked itself maybe 4 months ago, less than a year after i bought it. idk how or why :confused: lol but whatever, i'll take it

anyway, apparently verizon doesn't let them activate previously carrier locked phones with an eSIM — but a physical one is fine, although i'm already using the "warp" sim they sent in my ipad. luckily it wasn't a huge problem, they send both so i had a spare "gsm 5g" sim laying around, gave them the iccid, it activated, and they're sending another sim kit in the mail (so i'll have another t-mobile sim laying around, lol) so i can activate that when it gets here

kinda sucks though because if you have an eSIM they let you swap carriers (i.e. go from t-mo to vzw, or at&t soon, by toggling which one you want in their app) on the fly, but idk we'll see if i can convert the physical sim or something

anyway, point of all that was: wifi calling didn't work, lol. idk why, it just didn't, they didn't know why either. but because of the ongoing discussion i just checked the battery thing, and lol look at the carrier

e: another (imo lol) interesting thing: i put the vzw sim in my phone to call their support, so i know it's compatible and all, but i get an option to convert it to an eSIM (which i don't want to do, that line is unlimited data for my ipad lol) that i don't get with the t-mobile one. i'd never actually used their t-mo sims before so idk if that's expected or what, but a real (non-MVNO) t-mobile sim gives the option too. i also had it with redpocket's (which used at&t), but i learned firsthand that they explicitly don't support the feature when i did it maybe 2 years ago lol, i had to have a new physical sim mailed to me. the whole thing is pretty weird, i wonder how it determines eligibility

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 17, 2024

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

evil_bunnY posted:

my june 23 iphone 15 is still at 100% health 👀

setting a charge limit and charging it mostly slowly really helps

do you have a 14? the 15 didn’t come out until Sep 23

also I’m going to try 80% mode based on this thread. hopefully there’s a cool charging circle animation that shows this but probably it will just bother me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

currently using an iphone 11 with 78% max cap and it still does all the “phone” things i need for all the times that i need it

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

my 12 mini still at 83% and I cycle that drat battery to like 3% a bunch. I'm all about big phone now but im not gonna spend 70% the cost of a new laptop to get a new one so the mini is my ride or die for as long as possible

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

mediaphage posted:

currently using an iphone 11 with 78% max cap and it still does all the “phone” things i need for all the times that i need it

2% higher than mine, what's your secret??

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

i keep my phone at 100% charge at all times because that’s way less effort than carefully janitoring my battery in the hopes of avoiding one replacement every few years. it just sits on the wireless charging pad any time I’m at home and not using it and my 2020 se2 is at 89%

guess you're not an enlightened brain genius who spends three minutes a day rolling their toothpaste tube in the mathematically optimized way to save seventeen cents worth of paste

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

it doesn’t require careful monitoring, you just turn on the options to preserve the battery and then plug it into low power port.

theflyingexecutive posted:

guess you're not an enlightened brain genius who spends three minutes a day rolling their toothpaste tube in the mathematically optimized way to save seventeen cents worth of paste
If you don’t give a poo poo nobody’s telling you how to live your life. But saving myself the hassle of an early battery replacement is worth it (to me)

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 17, 2024

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

well-read undead posted:

2% higher than mine, what's your secret??

a poor memory. i am also at 76

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

it doesn’t require careful monitoring, you just turn on the options to preserve the battery and then plug it into low power port.

If you don’t give a poo poo nobody’s telling you how to live your life. But saving myself the hassle of an early battery replacement is worth it (to me)

people are talking about this nonsense

quote:

charge the battery to like 60-70% max, and run it down to 20-30% minimum, only let it run between those two level when possible
keep it charging when you do facetime, updating apps manually or when you are doing something power intensive so it's not running the battery

use low-power mode a lot and a fresh reboot every morning

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

mediaphage posted:

a poor memory. i am also at 76

there is no hope for us

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
iphone 13 mini bought in december 2022

91% battery health with optimized charging turned on

i use magsafe wireless charging exclusively. also have most notifications turned off and don't use social media on my phone so it's basically for music, podcasts, maps, email, and forums browsing

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mediaphage posted:

people are talking about this nonsense
oh lol that's absurd.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

haveblue posted:

no. they have already confirmed RCS will show up as green bubble and they’re not doing vendor extensions. unclear what overlapping iMessage features will be supported or if it’ll just work exactly like SMS does today (but somewhat less hackable)

I don't give a hoot about the bubble color. I just want the thumbs up reactions to show up correctly from everyone, and to be able to set titles for chat groups.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my watch hit 79% battery health yesterday so apple is replacing it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

my watch hit 79% battery health yesterday so apple is replacing it
Oh that's good to know they'll do that. The non-ultra watch batteries feel kinda crappy.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

didn’t realize you could check battery health on the Apple Watch. mines at 76%.. drat.

also I’ve noticed a disturbing trend of Apple not putting all of the watch settings in the watch app on the iPhone anymore, like the battery settings and poo poo. i don’t like that.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Last Chance posted:

didn’t realize you could check battery health on the Apple Watch. mines at 76%.. drat.

also I’ve noticed a disturbing trend of Apple not putting all of the watch settings in the watch app on the iPhone anymore, like the battery settings and poo poo. i don’t like that.

maybe they're moving more stuff into the settings directly on the watch in anticipation of the eu coming up with a regulation that bans restricting smartwatches to a specific oem's devices?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
currently experiencing a weird and somewhat baffling bug on my ipad lol

see that tiny little SA tab off to the left? yeah, it's for the front page, and no, i didn't open it, lol. i can't close it either, and dragging it out into a new "window" crashes safari and springboard. when you reopen safari, there it is again

the tab works and all, i.e. it loads the site, i just can't close it. i don't even know how it opened in the first place, though i do know i fell asleep while using my ipad last night so maybe that has something to do with it, idk. i'm gonna try rebooting i guess?

e: ah ha, no reboot necessary: apparently that is a "pinned tab", a feature i didn't even know existed lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Branch Nvidian posted:

maybe they're moving more stuff into the settings directly on the watch in anticipation of the eu coming up with a regulation that bans restricting smartwatches to a specific oem's devices?

is the eu actually doing that? goddamn i wish our regulators were even half as competent

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I've been using an iPhone 14 ProMax with almost exclusively wireless charging and it's at 93% battery health after almost 2 years. I'd run it into the ground except the WWDC demo sold me on getting an AI-capable model next year (hi, i'm an apple consumer, i am a sucker for these presentations)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

make sure you have adguard running in native dns mode (it installs a device profile) instead of the weird local vpn thing it used to use. that'd eat up a lot of resources sometimes and it's a relatively recent change, so if you haven't janitored the app in a while it might still be set up the old way
:tipshat: it was in VPN mode, cuz that's how it worked when I first installed it way back when. didn't even know there was the native DNS mode. gonna switch to that and see what happens.

I often had to toggle the VPN or airplane mode when in the UK last month because sites just wouldn't load some times without a kick.