Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I've got a law:

The Kings of Khazaria shall not war with those who follow the words Jesus or the words Mohammed, lest they throw the first blow. Filthy pagans are fair game tho.

We've got centuries until Crusades and Jihads will be a thing, so this could curb our expansion into the Holy Land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Jews will be the finest traders across the Black Sea and beyond.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

drat, I totally wanted to set Crimea up as our Black Sea money factory. Great minds think alike.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Veloxyll posted:

The Jews will be the finest traders across the Black Sea and beyond.
We need to be careful though or our people will get stereotyped as money-greedy merchants :ohdear:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

We need to be careful though or our people will get stereotyped as money-greedy merchants :ohdear:

New Law proposal: City taxation must be set to the lowest setting. We need to set the job-creators free from government regulation!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

##Add me to the list

(Hopefully there'll have been a hotfix letting me play the game by then!)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CapnAndy posted:

Better than money-greedy bloodthirsty conquerors.

"Join us or die!"

"How much will it cost us?"

"200 gold and conversion to Judaism. It's a snip at the price!"

(Sorry.)

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Rule: Have every 3rd Child tutored by a foreign court, so they can learn about business in other countries.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Thought of two laws this morning:

Go forth and multiply.
The moment a child of either gender reaches majority, they must be married. Preference is given firstly to those of the faith in the court of the King, second those of the faith outside it who hold land, thirdly those of the faith outside our court, fourthly to those of the "Christian" or "Muslim" sects in the court and lastly those outside it. They then must be given land of their own as quickly as possible.

The Tribes re-united.
We must ally and marry with the people of Semiem as quickly as possible and render them any and all assistance they request, until such a time our two lands be made one. Ours is a flickering light in a dark world but it is not alone. We must make sure it stays that way.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

My wife is relatively old and without children the game will end so I go ahead and send word that I want her dead.

Then I build even more.

My court sucks at keeping secrets. Truly.

I comfort myself over the loss of my son by throwing myself into my training.

Best even chain ever.

the plot to kill my wife finally succeeds and I remarry a younger woman.

One of my vassals begins to expand his own lands.

He is quite successful

Some adventurer is coming to claim my lands. I'm sure it won't be a problem.

So I declare a war to reward my vassal by giving him the last territory in hi duchy that currently is in the hands of the Cumanians.

The war takes awhile, I'm enjoying myself, and then...disaster strikes.

Though at this point one good thing does happen.

My wife wants to name the child Kundaciq. Stupid name. Manasseh is much better.

My forces clash with another group, the battle is close and I am losing but then I realize something.

Fighting on flatlands is so much easier for our cavalry. (This upgrade may have saved our rear end, prior to getting it were losing that fight badly.

The adventurer lands his forces. ...poo poo. Maybe he'll fight the orthodox rebels and they'll wipe each other out?

As my forces are busy to the north, dearling with war number 2, and can't deal with wars 3 and 4.

Nope. Looks liek they're not gonna run into each other.

poo poo. Alright, Time to cut my losses. He's got an invasion CB which means he could take a TON more land if I don't stop this now.

The loss of Crimea stings, but I think I broke it anyway when I tried to set up my trade republic. And now with that distraction gone, cleaning up these other was is much easier.

And you know what works great on flat plains?

Cavalry.

And I get a nice prize out of this lovely situation.

And all that money means...MORE BUILDING in the capital.

Celebrations are in order

Good times.

Are you serious?

I think my son is realizing that I'm telling him one thing while doing another...

I have a second son. I let my wife name that one. He's not as important.

The war finaly ends and I learn that my daughter has a lisp. I think it's cute, but everyone else tells me it's just annoying to listen to her talk. Fuckers.

GOD DAMNIT.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Okay this isn't the end of the world. Maybe I can get someone to take him out before he invades?

We can hope, but it seems unlikely. Okay new plan, don't get involved in any wars until he shows up. I quickly clean up the rebellions to the south. The religious uprisings fall quickly beneath the hooves of my mounted army. Then I find a tutor for Prince Manasseh.

Other than being content he is a pretty good teacher, and my son needs to understand how the courts work.

Then my rabbi goes insane and starts babbling about some other religion. I didn't even know that Judaism HAD heresies.

And of course, the Orthodox rebels rise again. Time to send my army to deal with them.

No problem.

Just in time to. This time I'm not at war with anyone else fucker. And my army is already together. What are you going to do?

Race to my capital huh? I can deal with that. I'm gonna win.

Eat poo poo and die adventurer.

My son's tutor dies, so I pick out a new one.

Then I finish the war.

GET THE gently caress OUT OF MY COUNTRY.

Woah..he had quite a war chest. You know what this means? More building!

And also, a new war!

I mistakenly think that the death of the original adventurer would take away his event troops.

Instead they're just inside my country already.

The first fight does not go as planned. I quickly disband and reform, as wel as hire some more cavalry to help us out.

The second fight goes much better.

I send the army south, time to take back the lands of our merchant army.

Or not.

All hail Khan Manasseh III of Khazaria, son of Khan Manasseh II the Just of Khazaria.

And with that the first game is done. I have uploaded the save file here. AJ_Impy has 2 days to claim the save, or the next player in line gets it.

Laws added:
1.) The Flow of Time - No savescumming. Play as if the game were an ironman game unless you have no heirs, then save often so that when you die we can pick up the game from a new character.
2.) Stoy Telling - Interesting story always wins out over optimal play.
3.)*NEW* The Black Merchants - The Duchy of Crimea shall always be a merchant republic either under our direct control or independent.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Of course Judaism has heresies - why else would they have to specify who is an Orthodox Jew? There's Gnostics, Sabbateans, Hasids and Jews For Jesus, to name but four. Christianity itself is a Jewish heretical movement, if you think about it.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Jedit posted:

Of course Judaism has heresies - why else would they have to specify who is an Orthodox Jew? There's Gnostics, Sabbateans, Hasids and Jews For Jesus, to name but four. Christianity itself is a Jewish heretical movement, if you think about it.

Well, I mean in the real world sure, but I didn't realize that the game had heresies programmed in for Judaism.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I hereby claim the save. Let's get this show on the road.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

The Gnostics are a Jewish heresy? I was always under the impression that its growth was very closely tied with that of the Neoplatonists and Christians.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Beamed posted:

The Gnostics are a Jewish heresy? I was always under the impression that its growth was very closely tied with that of the Neoplatonists and Christians.

There's a separate Jewish Gnostic heresy.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
The Karaites were a major sect in the Middle Ages, and rejected the Oral Law (Talmud and its interpretations) as a complement to the Written Law (the Tanakh). Rejecting the Talmud led Karaites to behave quite differently from more traditional Jews (most notably the lack of a ban on mixing meat and dairy products in their version of the Kosher dietary restrictions) and led mainstream Jews to reject the idea that they were even Jews.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

gently caress Adventurer invasions, seriously. Where do those troops even come from?

EDIT: Oh, heads up if we're reestablishing the Crimean Money Factory - Give the mayor the county title his city is in. Then give him the duchy title. It's best to give him all the counties in the duchy before giving him the title.

Now let's show those Italian bastards how to make money.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Funky Valentine posted:

gently caress Adventurer invasions, seriously. Where do those troops even come from?

Supposedly landless people and people down on their luck they've convinced. It's the landless version of 'prepared invasion'.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Khan Manasseh III, part 1

Shalom, Shalom! Welcome, and thank you for coming here to help sit Shiva for my father. Forgive me, but this is all happening so fast, it has barely had time to sink in that he's really gone. I am Manasseh Ben Manasseh of the Bulanid line. Yesterday, I was a boy, still four years away from my Bar Mitzvah. Today, I am the Khan of all Khazaria.

Still, my little brother has it worse. Just five years old, and a bunch of our retainers dragged him off to be duke of Itil mumbling something about gavels. It makes no sense to me, and he's just a kid! I mean, so am I, but he's not even old enough to be tutored yet.

Speaking of tutors, this is the man helping me out with this, Duke Yeçtirek of Cherson. He is not a gentle or kind man and is forever extolling the virtues of the Torah, but he is even-handed and fair-minded in all that he does, never a man of excess. He is generous with words as well, and I do enjoy talking with him. I have asked him to mentor me personally, and have also offered him the position of chancellor on my council.

Ah, the council. That's him over there. Yes, just him: He essentially became my regent by default. My father is... was a great man, a great man, but some things he let go by the wayside.

Case in point. I went about calling forth the most skilled men of the realm, and as the spymaster didn't like me much, plying him with gifts and titles. Duke Yeçtirek advised me to do that, and he knows a thing or two about what men may be capable of.

Now, my father invested much in building up the realm, but we aren't innovating. I called for investment in improved keeps, military organisation and legalism, so we'd have something to defend, someone to defend it, and a clear reason why it's ours to defend.

Finally, if you will come with me, this is my mother. Father's death has hit her hardest, so be kind. I can't help but feel that she is disappointed in me and how I turned out. Sure, I may be the great Khan of all the lands between Crimea and the Caspian Sea...

But she really wanted me to be a Doctor.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Did you lose control of the Capital or something? All my tech upgrades are gone....

That would explain the loss of the Council as well...

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It seems the capital moved east because gavelkind is garbage.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Stupid gavelkind. Three castles each with over 1.5k of upgrades all lost to your brother who promptly gave away two of them to vassals.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Amnistar posted:

Did you lose control of the Capital or something? All my tech upgrades are gone....

That would explain the loss of the Council as well...

The joys of Gavelkind! Pretty much everything bar the kingdom and the new capital went to kid brother there.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Stab our kid brother, then move the capital back. Then we can destroy one of the duchy titles so this poo poo doesn't happen again.

loving gavelkind.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh this looks fun. Too bad I don't have enough time to participate, I'd love to ruin all your hard work with my pathetic incompetency! But I will be following this, maybe I'll jump in later on if possible :)

Edit: How does Manasser III have a negative state Martial score? He has 6, state is (4) ... does the marshall have -2 martial ? :confused:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 4, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

CapnAndy posted:

Stab our kid brother, then move the capital back. Then we can destroy one of the duchy titles so this poo poo doesn't happen again.

loving gavelkind.

I'm not going to start kinslaying because of an inconvenience. Getting out of Gavelkind as soon as possible, sure, but the mistakes of my predecessor are simply that, and we shall work around them.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

There is a plan to convert this game to EUIV if we get that far

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I'd like to throw my name into the queue for ruling as well please.
##Add me to the list

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

AJ_Impy posted:

I'm not going to start kinslaying because of an inconvenience. Getting out of Gavelkind as soon as possible, sure, but the mistakes of my predecessor are simply that, an we shall work around them.
Which descendent of yours am I set to be? Because I'm gonna build a great big monument outside the palace that'll just say MY GREAT-GRANDFATHER OR WHATEVER WAS A WUSS AND WOULDN'T STAB A 5 YEAR OLD

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

During the development of CK2: Hey guys what if we made a succession law that can completely ruin any progress you make...and then gave it to 90% of the playable countries?

*everyone in room nods like this is the greatest idea ever*

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

CapnAndy posted:

Which descendent of yours am I set to be? Because I'm gonna build a great big monument outside the palace that'll just say MY GREAT-GRANDFATHER OR WHATEVER WAS A WUSS AND WOULDN'T STAB A 5 YEAR OLD

News at 11, nine year old kid with no idea of political intrigue refuses to kill his own brother. I'm going to play this character with a straight bat as his traits lead him: Maybe when he gets some ambition or deceit or learns some of the darker political arts he'll risk it, but not right now.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

What year did I die in? I'm not at home and was gonna update the details page to include that information.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Amnistar posted:

What year did I die in? I'm not at home and was gonna update the details page to include that information.

29 January, 897

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

News at 11, nine year old kid with no idea of political intrigue refuses to kill his own brother. I'm going to play this character with a straight bat as his traits lead him: Maybe when he gets some ambition or deceit or learns some of the darker political arts he'll risk it, but not right now.

Of course you are. Rule #2!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

During the development of CK2: Hey guys what if we made a succession law that can completely ruin any progress you make...and then gave it to 90% of the playable countries?

*everyone in room nods like this is the greatest idea ever*

You realise it's historically accurate in a lot of cases, if not all?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Jedit posted:

You realise it's historically accurate in a lot of cases, if not all?

I understood that gavelkind historically was split between everyone fairly equally*, not the second son gets everything except for the title of king?

*where equal is subjective depending upon who was doing the splitting.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Amnistar posted:

I understood that gavelkind historically was split between everyone fairly equally*, not the second son gets everything except for the title of king?

*where equal is subjective depending upon who was doing the splitting.

But programming that is hard, man.

But yeah, one of the first things I usually do in any game of CK2 is set my realm to elective so I don't wind up in situations like this.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Gavelkind used to be less lovely but people were actually using it so it sometimes got nerfed to make it extra useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I just throw my succession onto Primogeniture. The demesne bonus is not worth the headaches in the slightest.

• Locked thread