Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Big Mike the Savvyhead

“My Turn”
I find Angel Eyes to be the most strange (since I don’t know Faustina’s secret). Most crazy is like the Deacon. Most coldness is like Juck. She has this cold kind of crazy behind the eyes. I’d like to know how she ticks. She gets Hx +1.

Everyone else gets Hx-1. Hard to see through the magnificent beard.

“Other turns”
Juck junked her heart to keep her mind running. I’ve fixed up her bikes before. In exchange she leaves me and mine alone. We’ve both done a pretty drat mediocre job keeping the bargain. She should put that clear head and those good instincts to better use. +1 Hx to whatever you tell me.

Everyone else: Hx-1 to whatever you tell me. Maybe I've helped you out of a jam or two, but you skipped out on the lecture.

As far as I can tell, we have three locations already set:

College Campus
Mike's Junkyard
The Little Town

Does this sound good?: Mike's Junkyard is between the College Campus and the Little Town. It's just on the rural side of a suburban/rural line. The town used to be a farming town and it still is, most of the population tends crops and gardens behind light fortifications that keep out zombies but not bandits. Juck's gang tends to hang out somewhere close, close enough that they've been bleeding the town slowly, letting them recover from the tributes, instead of just pillaging everything. It's a better source of food, fuel, and repair that way. They make harder raids into the city.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

No problem. Inspiration was eluding me anyway. Have fun all.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Her mouth was sewn shut but her eyes were still wide
Gazing through the fog to the other side
That sounds about right. There's also the communities SoL mentioned and of course the sprawling, overgrown Jungle City (doesn't have to be called that, of course. Could just be a nick Faustina came up with)

Once we get everything set up I can draw a horrible map we can all laugh at! (Unless SoL wants to do the honors!)

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Mr. Prokosch posted:

As far as I can tell, we have three locations already set:

College Campus
Mike's Junkyard
The Little Town

Does this sound good?: Mike's Junkyard is between the College Campus and the Little Town. It's just on the rural side of a suburban/rural line. The town used to be a farming town and it still is, most of the population tends crops and gardens behind light fortifications that keep out zombies but not bandits. Juck's gang tends to hang out somewhere close, close enough that they've been bleeding the town slowly, letting them recover from the tributes, instead of just pillaging everything. It's a better source of food, fuel, and repair that way. They make harder raids into the city.

Sounds about right! I'll sketch out a lovely map with some points of interest this afternoon.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 14, 2014

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
Angel Eyes

Hx: Everyone gets Hx+1. Even if you haven't spoken with Angel Eyes, you've seen her around or heard the stories.

Faustina: Hx-1. I get the impression you don't like me much. Fair enough. I'm not all that keen on getting to know you that well either. Purely for pragmatic reasons, mind you. Gunshot wounds and I do not agree with one another.

Big Mike: Hx+1. You're alright, old timer. You remind me of my grandpa and I consider that no small praise. Anyone gives you trouble, you find me and I'll have a word with them.

Deacon Thorne: Hx+3. I don't trust you. Not because you prey on weak minded people, or fill their heads with nonsense. No, I don't trust you because I think you actually have a plan. I have no idea what that plan might be, but a man with your charisma? It's trouble waiting to happen.

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

Juck, the Chopper

My Turn: Everybody takes +1Hx with Juck. Juck's the leader of a violent biker gang. This is not a complicated concept to wrap your brain around.

Other's Turns: Faustina, according to you, at some point somewhere along the way I apparently killed someone that meant something to you. Tell you the truth, I have precisely zero recollection of this. But I do remember you showing up at my camp, on your own, completely unarmed, pushing your way through a dozen of the nastiest biker types around to get up to my face, at which point you started bitching me out, slapping at my face and bawling while screaming about how I'd never understand how much so-and-so had meant and that they were some kind of great hope for humanity and blah blah blah. I still have no idea who the gently caress you were talking about it, but if you say I killed them, I'll take your word for it. So here I am, surrounded by my loving gang, being slapped at by some college girl in a goddamn school uniform: needless to say, I've strung folks up on account of far lesser transgressions. But what can I say: I guess I'm a sucker for crazy. I let you walk out that day, and truth be told, I kind of respect the ovaries that move took. Faustina, take +1Hx with Juck.

Everybody else, whatever you tell me, I'm subtracting -1Hx. Juck don't care none.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sorry man, just got a major flu in the middle of your recruit. I'll try again next time!

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Reposting from MIA thread, will get up responses and final character stuff Sunday! Gonna be out of town until then.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Here's a lovely map of a completely fictitious region. Any resemblance to real locations, living or dead, is sheer coincidence.

I've got a draft written up for a ~first post~ which will happen when everyone is done or almost done with this li'l setup phase. I'm a little excited about this.

Captain Foo posted:

Sorry man, just got a major flu in the middle of your recruit. I'll try again next time!

Sorry. :shobon: Hope you get to feeling better~

hctibyllis posted:

Reposting from MIA thread, will get up responses and final character stuff Sunday! Gonna be out of town until then.

Alright! I definitely do not look at that thread ever. Have a nice trip~

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 26, 2014

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Serious question, guys:

Is anybody here a wolf of the maelstrom? I know it's rude to ask, but this is important.

Also:

hctibyllis posted:

I guess Trudy could have a spot on campus if she wanted, which with her Threshhold might make the uni the closest thing we have to a hardhold as it stands currently?

- Has someone put their hand in when it mattered and helped me save a life? Mark Hx +2.

If Trudy had the time to make a sash with the words "Official Campus Den Mother" on it, she would. As it is, she's too busy making sure the occupied section of dorm rooms aren't just serviceable, but livable. You need an extra pillow? You call her. She's here for everybody.

Especially Faustina, on whom Trudy's keeping a particularly watchful eye, especially since she saved Ethel.

Ethel's a goat, and a darn mean one at that, but if you can get her to hold still long enough, she's good for milk, and then cheese. She lives on the quad, mowing grass and headbutting whomever she can, whenever she can. A few weeks back, Ethel got spooked by a Cordie at the far north barricade, fell off some stacked up furniture and landed wrong. Broke her neck. At least, Trudy thinks Ethel broke her neck, because of how awfully wrong the angle of it was when she got there, but Faustina, who'd arrived a few moments earlier, just looked at her and said, "Trust me. She'll be okay."

Faustina put her hands on Ethel's neck. Ethel didn't even flinch. Trudy was sure she was dead.

"Come here," Faustina said. "Give me your hand."

And Trudy had, thinking maybe they'd have a prayer or something, and then some goat chops later.

Faustina rubbed Ethel's neck with one hand, and held on to Trudy with the other. After a few moments, and to Trudy's serious surprise, Ethel blinked, blatted, got up, and walked away.

"Just a kink," Faustina had said, swaying a little. She looked tired. "If you know your pressure points, those'll come undone easy."

Trudy didn't quite believe her, but she was suddenly so tired, and thought the question could wait until after a nap.

Violajoker fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 27, 2014

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Everyone:

Take -1 Hx to Deacon. You've seen him around, you've heard him speak, perhaps you've even spoken to him. But a holy man tends to hold himself aloof.

--Unless--

You've heard the Good News and you've listened. If you're a follower of Deacon's cult take +2 Hx. You can learn a lot about a man from his gospel.

Deacon's also going to add +1 to whatever you tell him. He took a group of people who could charitably be referred to as damaged, led them out into the wilderness, and somehow kept them together as a family and away from each others throats for going on 10 years. Call that a masterclass in human dynamics. No offense, but if he can do that, figuring out your deal isn't much of a challenge.

Big Mike

Deacon has a good read of most people, but some folks he sees their true self shining through bright and clear. Mike, Deacon has seen your soul. He thinks you're something of a kindred spirit, whether you know it or not. I'm writing +3 Hx

Trudy

Deacon is not a wolf of the maelstrom.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
So, highlights - once you've gotten your numbers from everyone, figure out who's highest on your sheet, and ask them for a highlight. Angel Eyes, for instance, has Hx+3 on Deacon Thorne, and less on everyone else - so, Thorney highlights something on her, that he thinks would be pretty neat.

Because the Solace is fuckin' weird, Trudy's Hx depends on how the rest of you answer that question about being a wolf of the maelstrom.

But I'm going to go ahead and post the thread before that's all sorted out. :toot: It's play-by-post, we can multi-task, right?

A couple notes. First, this is my first time MC'ing an AW thing proper-like. I read up on the proscribed MC guidelines rules, and most of them make a lot of sense. When they don't make perfect sense to me, I'm going to follow along anyways, and trust that it'll work out pretty well. For instance, the First Session is supposed to be a pretty ordinary, day-in-the-life, (in a brutal and unpredictable life) thing.

If I gently caress something up, please let me know about it.

If you have questions, ask them immediately. In the game thread is fine, if it's something about the scene. Clearing up little details when the wording is not perfect is worth doing.

I'm going to give everyone a chance to post between posts. Basically, everyone gets a turn every turn. Don't want to leave someone behind if they're, say, out of town for a weekend. The exception to that is questions, like if you Read A Person and need an answer before you decide on a thing you're gonna do, and maybe some dialogue that serves the same effect.

If you're not feeling super inspired to write a whole bunch of words and make them all pretty, that's okay. As the MC, I am willingly taking on the burden of writing/saying the most stuff about the most stuff. It's okay to reply to four paragraphs of description with a few sentences of action, if that's all you need to get your point across. Motivation is weird, and I realize these PbP things can have some heavy attrition. I would much rather have somebody throw down some basic, to-the-point post today, than put off some flowery nonsense for a week. They can't all be top-shelf material all the time: whatever.

:frogsiren: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3629103 :frogsiren:

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
My Hx Totals:

Angel Eyes, the Battlebabe (Shardix): 0hx

Faustina, the Angel (hctibyllis): 0hx

Juck, the Chopper (Benny Profane): +2hx

Deacon Thorne, the Hocus (Baby Babbeh): -1hx

Trudy, the Solace (Violajoker): ?hx

I am not a Wolf of the Maelstrom. I'm more like a friendly vulture

I guess Juck will highlight my stat.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 28, 2014

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Angel Eyes is definitely a wolf of the maelstrom, and I will be very interested to find out what that means in this world.

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Juck: +1Hx
Angel Eyes: +1Hx
Big Mike: -1Hx
Faustina: +2Hx
Deacon: -1Hx

Faustina, go ahead and highlight a stat on me, please! For those who've answered the wolf question:

Angel Eyes gets Hx+2. Under her disguise, she looks like nothingness, but feels like a giant bug. Her carapace makes awful grinding noises.
Deacon gets Hx+1
Big Mike gets Hx=0

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

Juck

Mike -2 Hx
Deacon -2 Hx
Faustina 0 Hx
Angel 0 Hx
Trudy ? Hx

Trudy, not only is Juck a wolf of the maelstrom, she leads a pack of the bastards.
(My posts are going to be on the brief side for today and tomorrow, as I'm posting from my phone on intermittent wifi)

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

@Juck:

Did I embarrass you that day? Boo-freaking-hoo. It was one of your slack-jawed nut-scratchers who blew Quacker-rear end Quincy's head off. He was the last living dude with a doctorate-level education for probably about 500 square miles. If it weren't for him we'd have never figured out how to produce biodiesel, and then where would you assholes be? On your knees sucking gas out of wrecks again - which, I have to say, is a pretty appropriate position for your little band of whoreson fuckwits.

I don't care if it was a stray round, and apologies can't put his skull back together (not that I'd ever expect something as human as that to stumble out of your awful mouth). Its people like you that keep proliferating a culture of mindless violence. You're the real plague.

- - -

@Trudy:

Hey thanks for the help that day, and... well for just being you!

There was no way I could let our only source of dairy die to a goatfail (aren't they supposed to be good at climbing stuff?). I know how much you need the milk and whatnot. If it weren't for your awesome cooking I don't think Aguilera would have ever recovered from that bout of consumption, and she's the Fine Alpha Phi's (sorority) best shot. I don't have to tell you what horrible fate would befall the campus were I left in charge of meals. Just not my thing. I did manage to get that fridge hooked up and running off the generator for you, though. (*coughs*)

Stay beautiful, Mama T!

Hx

Angel Eyes: 0
Big Mike: -2
Deacon: -2
Juck: +1
Trudy: 0

@Juck (again): I guess you'd better highlight something. HELPFUL WARNING: Highlight =/= Headshot.

@Trudy (again): That eyeliner is totes Hot! You'll have to show me how to apply it sometime, so I don't wind up looking like a hopeless raccoon again.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Ok, Angel Eyes' Hx is as follows:

Faustina: Hx-1

Big Mike: Hx+1

Deacon: Hx+3

Juck: Hx+1. You're the scariest person I know next to myself, and I like your mohawk. Call me.

Trudy: Hx+2. I...just...

...keep your distance. Something about you makes me uncomfortable.

Let me know if I screwed up the numbers. And yeah, as StringOfLetters mentioned, Deacon gets to highlight for her.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 28, 2014

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Oh almost forgot!

@SoL: Do you think it would fit within the game mechanics for me to mark Fatigue whenever I use Healing Touch? It would go along with my backstory and add an extra element of hardship to stir things up.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Oh my gosh, these posts. :allears:

hctibyllis posted:

Oh almost forgot!

@SoL: Do you think it would fit within the game mechanics for me to mark Fatigue whenever I use Healing Touch? It would go along with my backstory and add an extra element of hardship to stir things up.

It crossed my mind! Saddling anyone's special move with that would be kinda arbitrarily harsh, though. That's going to be a possible consequence of the patient's brain acting against you.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Big Mike: +3
Angel Eyes: +2
Juck: +2
Faustina: +2
Trudy: +2

Big Mike, Mark a stat for Deacon

Angel Eyes: Sure, Angel Eyes is hot, savvy, and scary as gently caress. But what interests Deacon is the air of the uncanny about her. She reminds him of certain entities he's seen in his waking dreams, although he can't quite pinpoint why. It scares him. Mark Weird.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Wait, Hx confuses me. Is it the person you have the most with marks a stat for you? Or that you mark the stat for the person you have the most with? I thought it was the second, but now that I think about it more that would come with overlap.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

It's the first one. Whoever is highest on your sheet highlights for you.

And yes, every single time I play an AW game I have to reread that section to make sure I'm remembering it right.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Let's not forget to finish our highlights, now that everyone is rollin'. Some great posts already! (Viola I sent u a PM!)

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

hctibyllis posted:

Did I embarrass you that day? Boo-freaking-hoo. It was one of your slack-jawed nut-scratchers who blew Quacker-rear end Quincy's head off. He was the last living dude with a doctorate-level education for probably about 500 square miles. If it weren't for him we'd have never figured out how to produce biodiesel, and then where would you assholes be? On your knees sucking gas out of wrecks again - which, I have to say, is a pretty appropriate position for your little band of whoreson fuckwits.

I don't care if it was a stray round, and apologies can't put his skull back together (not that I'd ever expect something as human as that to stumble out of your awful mouth). Its people like you that keep proliferating a culture of mindless violence. You're the real plague.

See? This right here is what I'm talking about -- it's just so loving adorable to watch her playing at being a Hardcase! You can't put a bullet in that, that'd be like kicking a puppy! Shine on, you crazy star.

Trudy, if Juck also gets a +2 for being a wolf, then you'll be at +1 with Juck with gives you the highlight privileges.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Hmm Taco rings a bell... yeah. If Juck knows about this guy Faustina probably would too, right? If so there's no way in hell I'm going out there with his band of heathens!

Trying not to meta though! SoL, have I heard of this guy?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Nothing more than that he's some gang 'leader' (first among equals in a vague hierarchy) and given the poo poo that people have to deal with, a gang doesn't carry all the same connotations that it used to.

It might not even be the same one as the Taco from Juck's background. Taco is a super common name, these days. It's like the new 'Juan.'

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 29, 2014

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

So Big Mike still needs to highlight something for Deacon, and Juck needs to highlight something for Mike.

Then we should be good for SoL's highlights! (I'm guessing we'll get retroactive exp if we've already rolled for a stat that gets highlighted?)

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Deacon, Weird is your thing, and I want to see you do your thing. Highlight Weird

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

Whoops, sorry for missing that highlight, Big Mike. You're a Sharp old codger, keep an eye out.

Trudy, I'm not sure what Juck's Hx with you ended up being, but if you want to go ahead and tag one of Juck's stats, go for it.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Just made a post. Got a wicked headache and the wear of a long day, at the moment - if I made any verbal aneurysms, I'll edit them to sanity tomorrow.

So, everyone's ~Highlights~ are,

Big Mike; Sharp and Weird

Angel Eyes; Weird and Cool

Faustina; Hard and Weird

Juck; TBD. Trudy, highlight the stat you want to see in the world.

Deacon Thorne; Weird and Hot

Trudy; Hot and Weird

If you've already rolled a highlighted stat, mark an experience for it.

I don't have platinum or PM's or anything, but if you feel like saying anything secretive to me, I am also randomstringofletters@hotmail.com

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Hope you're feeling better! Don't push yourself too hard!

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Yup, thanks! Loads better. Getting enough sleep is wonderful. I highly recommend it.

Inspiration is a super fickle thing, and only posting when you feel like it is how interesting people disappear, and threads die. I like writing stuff, and I think I'm pretty okay at it, but I get stuck in some unmotivated slump, or I try something that doesn't quite sparkle the way I wish it would and I get discouraged, or I'm tired or I have a headache and just can't be assed to concentrate on it. Or I get through a few paragraphs, realize I've made something trite and lovely, or have no idea where to keep going with it, then hide it as 'awffwsdwtf plot.txt' in my Temp folder, last modified in 2011. And then I just sit back and dick around doing other stuff, suckling a pitiful trickle of comfort from the notion that "I'm pretty okay at writing," but honestly, I almost never actually do anything with it. Or practice. [This guy has articulated that common pitfall very well.] I am using this to get myself in the habit of throwing down some word-stuff every day, or almost every day, from a very dynamic set of prompts. Also AW is neat and entertaining.

Also, putting stuff like that on the public record helps me shame myself into staying on task. I'd feel like even more of a twat if I gave up or slacked off after smearing the forums with that self-indulgent blog post.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 1, 2014

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

I think you're a great writer :3:

I'll have something up by this evening! Things are already heating up it looks like... #battlebabedrama

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Same. I like online roleplay because it gives me motivation to write on the reg, where I don't really have the motivation otherwise.

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 2, 2014

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Thank you, Benny Profane, for that excellent and un-prompted grudge story. :allears: Now have some troubles.

Also the rest of you. :) That was just some character response stuff, MC moves coming once everyone else gets a chance to post.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 2, 2014

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

The reason Faustina isn't riding with Mike is because she wants to keep tabs on the brothers and the battlebabe, having the hired gun ride along just in case Taco & Co. try anything.

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

StringOfLetters posted:

Thank you, Benny Profane, for that excellent and un-prompted grudge story. :allears: Now have some troubles.

Yeah, when I was writing that little bit up, I definitely thought to myself that I was probably laying it on a bit thick and that this was going to come back to bite me in the rear end, but I didn't realize it would happen quite that quickly... Ah well, just gave me an opening to cause more mayhem :).

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Big Mike is being neighborly dammit! Even if the old codger has to use psychic powers to do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

I eagerly await the day Mike loses his patience and just puts everyone over his knee for some old fashioned discipline.

• Locked thread