Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plafop posted:

>mfw there's a clog near me

lmao yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Action Shakespeare posted:

I hope all this attention for the Peridot rap results in some sick full rapping fight sequence with Peridot in some kind of Robotnik-esque fighting robot.

Season 3 finale here we come.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

I hope she turns out to be a messianic Jesus-type savior figure, like people in the last thread speculated. Trying to turn it into "normal" absentee parent type thing wouldn't end too well

Steven is the Christ figure.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder if Greg will ever start dating again. Aside from being a dad for Steven, he seems like a pretty lonely guy.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder if Greg will ever start dating again. Aside from being a dad for Steven, he seems like a pretty lonely guy.

This is something I don't see happening, but it's something I want to see happen. Maybe an older fan tracks down Greg, we have one episode where Greg is super uncomfortable but a few episodes later we see them on a date. It's a very realistic situation and I want to know how Steven would deal with it but it's hard to see anyone moving past their previous relationship with a pink-haired amazonian space general.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Plafop posted:

>mfw there's a clog near me

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
For anyone new to the show (and just as a general topic), I'm going to borrow a post from readingatwork from the last thread, who basically described my feelings about Steven Universe at the beginning of the series:

quote:

I've always liked SU but until about a third of the way into the show it just didn't "click" with me the way AT or GF did. I think it was because the show feels like it starts on episode three and takes some time to let you in on a lot really basic information that every character already knows (what happened to Steven's mom, what the Gems are, what is it they're protecting earth from, etc).
This is exactly how the show felt to me in the beginning. I even looked up an episode list online to make sure I hadn't missed any episodes because it felt I had been dropped into the middle of season 1 without seeing the setup for the show.

After about 9 episodes or so I started feeling the background/vibe and started getting into the show, and what honestly sold me on the show was Connie. Specifically, the awesome scene of Connie calmly taking off her glasses, popping out the lenses, then putting her glasses back on. Such a subtle thing, and yet also :black101: as hell.

Also, I don't see the words "Dragon Ball Z" anywhere in the intro post. For shame Waffleman, for shame.:colbert:

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Amethyst's voice actress favorited my tweet, which simply read "Jazz hands."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SlothfulCobra posted:

Maybe Pearl?
No, probably not.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fade5 posted:

After about 9 episodes or so I started feeling the background/vibe and started getting into the show, and what honestly sold me on the show was Connie. Specifically, the awesome scene of Connie calmly taking off her glasses, popping out the lenses, then putting her glasses back on. Such a subtle thing, and yet also :black101: as hell.

i wonder if her parents are aware of her corrected vision yet :v:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tollymain posted:

i wonder if her parents are aware of her corrected vision yet :v:

She still wears her glasses everywhere except when she's alone with Steven

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Say Nothing posted:

Maybe Pearl?
No, probably not.
people are still surprised he didn't hold on to the thing with abducting steven into space in a shoddy spaceship.

But really, the past few episodes have kind of shown that despite Greg not wanting to deal with steve's magic, he's more familiar with the gems than we know. Even disregarding the "he was at the war a thousand years ago" speculation.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It's some really silly speculation, in my opinion. His 'It's not like I was there!' outburst is not to imply he was there, but to imply that he's getting all this info second-hand, so he feels uncomfortable being the one to tell it to Steven, as compared to the Gems, who could give a more accurate account.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Acne Rain posted:

people are still surprised he didn't hold on to the thing with abducting steven into space in a shoddy spaceship.

But really, the past few episodes have kind of shown that despite Greg not wanting to deal with steve's magic, he's more familiar with the gems than we know. Even disregarding the "he was at the war a thousand years ago" speculation.

I think Greg is the nicest character in the show, next to Steven. he understands the Gems are suffering and he understands Steven needs to be with them. He's scared and human but he understands that sometimes that's all he needs to be. He doesn't hold it against Pearl because even though he was terrified for Steven, he understands Pearl being so lonely and so afraid. He knows that as strong of a front the gems put up, they're not flawless.

Greg is a great person with flaws, and it's really clear that he just wants to be able to help Steven and the Gems, despite them not trusting him and what not. Not that it's their fault that they don't want him involved.

When I first saw Greg I went 'wtf did a magic lady see in this doofus' but you can see the beauty Rose Quartz would have seen in him. He's not the strongest, or smartest, he's not the cutest or anything, but he's got a ton of empathy and worry in him.

I dunno, Greg's cool. I like Greg. That was my stupid post about Greg. I think Greg is great even if he doesn't turn into a time traveling human who saw the whole war. I think he's better if he doesn't, honestly.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

flatluigi posted:

She still wears her glasses everywhere except when she's alone with Steven

Her glasses with no lenses in them.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

inklesspen posted:

Her glasses with no lenses in them.

it's hard to tell when you're a cartoon character man

Also since the art in full disclosure reminded me heavily of it (more than the show usually does) reminder that this exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgue81LVZ4E

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I missed a bunch of episodes during the middle of the season: when did Stevens voice actor change? It's really distracting.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I needed to quote that, because I laughed.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Triple Helix posted:

I missed a bunch of episodes during the middle of the season: when did Stevens voice actor change? It's really distracting.

It's always been the same person

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Triple Helix posted:

It's still Zach Callison. He is young and his voice has changed.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

It's still Zach Callison. He is young and his voice has changed.

Really? Wow, he sounds a lot different at the end of the season compared to the earlier episodes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm not sure it was a voice change. He was already 16 when the series started. It might just be him growing into the role.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Say Nothing posted:

Maybe Pearl?
No, probably not.

I think it's funny how Pearl is supposed to be this warrior gem who has been around for thousands of years and has fought in brutal wars, but displays of human affection cause her to retreat in terror.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

flatluigi posted:

it's hard to tell when you're a cartoon character man

Also since the art in full disclosure reminded me heavily of it (more than the show usually does) reminder that this exists:

What the gently caress.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Pearl's VA kind of changed it up a bit at some point too

i forgot about that. it's pretty great

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You can also tell that Zach's voice probably didn't change because he uses both his natural voice and his Steven voice in Garnet's Universe.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

via emlan

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there anything in the show to disprove this hypothesis though? :v:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
This rules.

flatluigi posted:

This also rules, in a very different way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

fade5 posted:

For anyone new to the show (and just as a general topic), I'm going to borrow a post from readingatwork from the last thread, who basically described my feelings about Steven Universe at the beginning of the series:

This is exactly how the show felt to me in the beginning. I even looked up an episode list online to make sure I hadn't missed any episodes because it felt I had been dropped into the middle of season 1 without seeing the setup for the show.

Also, I don't see the words "Dragon Ball Z" anywhere in the intro post. For shame Waffleman, for shame.:colbert:

That's one of the show's strengths though: the story's told from Steven's point of view just as he enters the phase of childhood where you go from just thoughtlessly accepting everything around you to beginning to put the pieces together. We only learn about things as Steven thinks to ask about them or realizes them, like how when you're a kid you just accept that the adults around you are your uncle or your mom or whatever, but then you get a little older and begin to realize that part of what that means is that your uncle is your mother's brother and they grew up together and had lives before you were born. Or if your mom isn't around, it means something happened to her in the past and it's not just a simple fact of life. Like, the deep history of the show is tied up in Steven's growth and for the longest time we were just getting the barest hints of his situation and the reasons for it.

As some people said earlier, a great summary of that was Greg in the car talking about the gem war, because it has been implicit in so much of what Steven has seen and done, but he just took so much of it for granted in that way that kids do that he was bowled over to have everything explained to him directly.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

lol

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The worst hell.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I like that this person talks about and draws ruby and sapphire but it's just for fun and not one of those horrible ask/roleplay blogs.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Triskelli posted:

The worst hell.

Looks like heaven to me. I hope Canada is still a place of polite self-consciousness in the Steven Universe.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Acne Rain posted:

I like that this person talks about and draws ruby and sapphire but it's just for fun and not one of those horrible ask/roleplay blogs.

the former is way more frequent than the latter

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

KittyEmpress posted:

I think Greg is the nicest character in the show, next to Steven. he understands the Gems are suffering and he understands Steven needs to be with them. He's scared and human but he understands that sometimes that's all he needs to be. He doesn't hold it against Pearl because even though he was terrified for Steven, he understands Pearl being so lonely and so afraid. He knows that as strong of a front the gems put up, they're not flawless.

Greg is a great person with flaws, and it's really clear that he just wants to be able to help Steven and the Gems, despite them not trusting him and what not. Not that it's their fault that they don't want him involved.

When I first saw Greg I went 'wtf did a magic lady see in this doofus' but you can see the beauty Rose Quartz would have seen in him. He's not the strongest, or smartest, he's not the cutest or anything, but he's got a ton of empathy and worry in him.

I dunno, Greg's cool. I like Greg. That was my stupid post about Greg. I think Greg is great even if he doesn't turn into a time traveling human who saw the whole war. I think he's better if he doesn't, honestly.

Not a stupid post. Greg is great and even though I like the song in House Guest, it's an episode that makes him seem too selfish and dopey. He's the kind of guy who has a lot of deep feelings and thoughts but expresses them simply. He's accidentally Zen.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I wonder if Pearl knew Ruby and Sapphire before they fused. Her watching over these lil gem children before they became Garnet would explain why Pearl is now in Overbearing Mom Mode all the time. Add in finding a rowdy Amethyst and now Steven, Pearl's had to Mom for a long time now

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Re: Greg chat, because I'm a Greg fan.

I think "Rose's Scabbard" does a good idea of showing how all the Gems got different things from Rose--because that's what a leader does in a lot of ways; they know how to deal with different people differently. This show is really hammering that point in too, that Rose was an effective leader because she understood people, and that Steven will be the same way.

As of the revelation that Greg knows a lot about the war, I like the idea that Rose finds a true friend and confidante in Greg. She trusts Pearl and loves the rest of the team, but in the end the Crystal Gems all think of themselves as her subordinates. Greg, with his goofy-rear end hair and his one-man band, also understands people implicitly. So Rose must have seen Greg as an equal on terms that she could appreciate--in a mutual affection for the human condition.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

She DID let him drive his van into her heart. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I don't think that Ruby and Sapphire are children, I think they're just short people.

I do think Pearl is a big ol' nanny, though.

• Locked thread