Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds good to me. One thought is perhaps Alyc Crail busted you out of jail, as opposed to SOL? On the basis of you can't pay for your ship from jail. Either way works though.

-------

There's also this: 11 Skyscrapers of the Future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Sorry, I had a hell of a weekend at work, just got along to filling out all the flavor for Zero. Let me know if theres anything else you need. :psylon:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Codename: Fedor-II
Classification: Killer
Look: Mirrored eyes, decorated face, augmented body, military wear, artifical skin
Stats: Edge +0 Style +1 Meat +2 Mind -1 Cool +0 Synth +1

Cyberware:
Paracore 2F3 Dermal Plating: When you make the harm move, subtract 2 from your roll.
Subtract 3 from your roll if the harm came from a weapon with the +flechette
tag.
Why? Career. If your job is getting in the loving thick of it, it's good to be able to roll with the punches more than people expect.
How? hosed over First Detronium - by the time they realized the Creds were double-spent, I was well off Mars.

219 Standard Issue Neural Interface with Targeting Suite: When you fire a weapon you are
+linked to, you may inflict additional harm equal to your Synth. You may also
roll Synth instead of Meat to mix it up. You may precisely define the area
of effect for weapons with the +autofire tag to exclude or include potential
targets from weapon damage.
Why: Military. You work for 219, you get the standard issue, unless there's some reason not to.
How: Owned. It's still theirs, and they probably want it back. Or at least me to not have it.

Custom Weapon: Eris Dynamics G238 Neuro-linked Heavy Rifle 'Regulator' (3-harm near/far/ex loud linked autofire breach dangerous)

Serious badass: when you enter a charged situation, roll Style.
10+: gain 2 hold
7–9: gain 1 hold
Spend 1 hold to make eye contact with an NPC present, who freezes or
flinches and can’t act until you break it off.
6-: your enemies identify you immediately as their foremost threat

Gear:
Eris Dynamics MP322 Silenced Machine Pistol 'Whisper' (2-harm close/near autofire linked)
Catabatic Ltd. Automatic Shotgun (3-harm close/near loud messy autofire linked) "If it's not Catabatic, it's crap!"
Qarhartt Body Armor (2-armor)
5 Cred

Directives:
Masochistic: When you suffer one or more harm, mark experience.
Network: When your membership in Zeguma Force hinders the mission, mark experience.

Oasis Systems Mech 'Desert Warrior Mk II'
Frame: Mech
Design: Military
Profile: Power +2 Looks +1 Weakness +2 2-Armor
Strength: Rugged, Workhorse
Weakness: Slow, loud
Weapons: Pulse Cannon (2-harm near/far loud messy AP), Missile Launcher (5-harm far area messy breach)
Why? Stole it from Europa Security, so now they're looking for me too.

Corporation: 219 Adjustment Group. One of the largest military forces in the system, adjustment refers to their take on balance of power. They see their job as adjusting it in whichever way makes them the most money. While they do have various shells and fronts, most of them are fairly transparent and really just serve to organize their forces. Clearly, they don't claim to have a stake in most conflicts one way or another other than the money, but it's generally assumed that the C-levels have more money than Yeezus and are much more interested in playing politics. Notably, they haven't made any inroads into the lucrative Europa Market...yet. Everyone knows Director Clark isn't really a director of anything other than maybe PR. Who are the real power brokers behind 219? It's not something they want to reveal, that's for sure.

Fedor-II: File was fairly corrupt, but I think that was intentional. Here's the bits we were able to extract reliably, with commentary. Former warfighter for 219 Adjustment Group, Rank 9. Did not check in after Zeguma Force mission between 12 to 36 months ago. Zeguma Force: Multilateral (or so claimed) special operations elite combat group drawing personnel from the inner planets. Think ad-hoc old-style U.N. Peacekeepers with a side of DEVGRU and you're probably on the right track. Maybe reverse those two. Should be considered extremely dangerous and out for profit. I suspect he'd try to expose 219, but just a gut feeling. What happened on that mission? Morals are unknown. Probably not absent, though. There are multiple current bounties outstanding. Last spotted: 3-5 months ago, Charybdis Station, Saturn. Not a lot to go on. Still, I'd still try to hire this guy. If you want someone dead as gently caress, of course.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Roosevelt Profit: They don't know about your past... do you? You defected from UN-CC because of an op that ________, is there a cause or Corporation that has your loyalty currently? Is there anyone you care about? Is there anyone in your crosshairs because of Burroughs?

Fedor-II: Tell us about your early life. Why did you defect from Zeguma force? Is there someone in the Zeguma Force you would like to see again? Alternately, is there someone in the Zeguma Force that you would very much like to avoid? How have you been spending the last 12-36 months?

XO-0: Does XO-0 remember anything of Domon Kanada? Is there anyone looking for Domon Kanada? IS XO-0 completely controlled by Usagi? Do they work for Usagi, but retain autonomy? Or did they USED to be completely controlled by Usagi? Are your interests completely tied to your function? Or are they more diffuse?

TheTofuShop, you need to have Costs for your Cyberware and your vehicles (Owned, Hunted, or Substandard for both).

~~~

Here are all the Corps that have been named so far. Let me know if you want something to be based somewhere different or feel the summary is wrong, some of it was from context. Right now this is shaping up to be Space Metal Gear Solid, with all the PMCs. Not that that's a bad thing. At all. There are, however, industrial gaps to fill if anyone wants to do so. I will probably be making an Entertainment / Advertising / News Corp or a Fabrication and Construction Corp.

Right now the vacant books seem to be Driver, Reporter, and Pusher. There are currently two Killers and two Soldiers on the board.

Here's a list of apps so far:
pre:
Error 404      | Ying Flores        | Tech
Berenzen       | AHRIMAN            | Hacker
Josef bugman   | Smoking Mirrors    | Fixer
Mr E           | Mahren Inaris      | Hunter
Sockerbagarn   | Spectre            | Infiltrator
TheTofuShop    | XO-0               | Killer
RandallODim    | Unnamed Soldier    | Soldier (incomplete, needs BG)
ComradeGorbash | Rosie (the) Profit | Soldier
Captain Foo    | Fedor-II           | Killer

xian fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 5, 2016

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

xian posted:

XO-0: Does XO-0 remember anything of Domon Kanada? Is there anyone looking for Domon Kanada?

Conciously, no the brain damage sustained resulted in massive amnesia. Subconciously, yes - the dreams Zero has that aren't vivid flashbacks of slaughter, few and far between, are memories of his family. His wife and son often appear in his dreams, usually they are happy memories...but once or twice he has dreamed of killing insurgents only to look down and see his son's severed head at his feet. Domon grew up in the Lower Class portions of Ganymede, and had enlisted into the Defense Force to provide for his family. The military and his family believe him to be dead, but his dog tags and body were never recovered. He was a grunt, but had performed well during his training. It's unlikely that the military even cares that he has gone missing, but highly possible that his wife or son (or both) believe him to be alive.

xian posted:

IS XO-0 completely controlled by Usagi? Do they work for Usagi, but retain autonomy? Or did they USED to be completely controlled by Usagi? Are your interests completely tied to your function? Or are they more diffuse?

Zero is a sort of contracted killer for the Usagi Corp. He has a residence in an Usagi-owned apartment building on Ganymede, but spends most of his time on assignment for the Usagi Corp. He reports into a handler for assignments and debriefs, but he is not controlled by Usagi - it's more of a mild brainwashing that was performed as part of the Cyberware Installation. Recently, the dreams of his family and his past have been more prevalent, and he has begun to question the interests of the Usagi Corp. On his most recent assignment - relieving a cyberware chop-shop of its stolen Usagi property, Zero let a young boy live - something he didn't tell his handler when he reported back in. He has requested some time off, and his handler has obliged - he hasn't had an assignment in about two months, and he's started to get restless. He has begun to seek work freelance in the meantime.

Costs and stuff will be edited into my original post in a few minutes.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

xian posted:

Fedor-II: Tell us about your early life. Why did you defect from Zeguma force? Is there someone in the Zeguma Force you would like to see again? Alternately, is there someone in the Zeguma Force that you would very much like to avoid? How have you been spending the last 12-36 months?

Early life? Uh, fine, I guess? Grew up on Lagrange 5, got a hacked ID to let me join up with a military a couple years younger than they were supposed to let me in. Haven't been back to Lagrange 5 since, I wonder if the LPA ever built out their spacedock. It was kind of a run-down station, but the Port Authority said that the new dock would start bringing in all kinds of construction contracts. But I wouldn't know if they ever pulled that off or not.

Let's be clear about Zeguma Force Operation hah! gently caress you. It was a complete success, though you'll have to take my word for it. I didn't walk out on those soldiers - the contract was up. I took the chance to breach my contract with 219, because on the Zeguma Force mission, we were under a different C2 architecture. I won't give you the details on how I blackholed 219's tracking data, but it wasn't easy nor cheap. I'm not running from Zeguma Force, boss. There's a reason I'm still going by my Zeguma Force ID, and not my other options. Those are good people, mostly. Especially Wukong-IX, her 3D spatial sense in the cockpit is as strong as her backbone. Know what I mean?

Since I've gone Sprawl I've been picking up contracts where I can, usually knocking heads or more realistically, 'knocking heads.' I've hit the bounty boards from Pluto to Mars, though I haven't head back inside that orbit. I don't want to head back any farther Solwards, though I'm thinking I might have to. Haven't been able to get the sort of details I need on 219 Adjustment Group's board of directors...yet. But I will.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

First Detronium is based on Mars, I think.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

First Detronium is based on Mars, I think.

Fedor:
What is a profit-driven PMC like 219 doing operating in the *Glorious People's Republic of Mars*? Is it an ATU contract? or are they somehow working for the Party?
Or, if they're operating without official sanction, how are they pulling that off?

*said while making :jerkbag: motions

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Error 404 posted:

Fedor:
What is a profit-driven PMC like 219 doing operating in the *Glorious People's Republic of Mars*? Is it an ATU contract? or are they somehow working for the Party?
Or, if they're operating without official sanction, how are they pulling that off?

*said while making :jerkbag: motions

Fedor-II

Well, fucko, if you were half as sharp as you thought you were you'd realize that landing pads and star ports and Party officials don't defend themselves, now do they? And you'd also have realized that Mars Guardian Services was a subsidiary. It's just a skin-deep illusion, but it meets the needs of the Party, and 219 still makes its creds. Sure, the ATU acts as the secret police, but somebody's got to do the whitehat job.

That all being said, non-aligned banks are a freakin' mess on Mars, so why do you think I pulled my little scam there?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I'm already excited at the thought of the three-way war that all these PMCs vying for supremacy will almost inevitably get into, and the potential to Red Harvest/Yojimbo/Fistful of Dollars/Last Man Standing that whole conflict. Also, I'm working on my bio material, life's just gotten real busy the past few days. I should have it all written and posted by tomorrow night.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

xian posted:

Roosevelt Profit: They don't know about your past... do you?

I don't talk about my past.

Not because I've forgotten it. Not because it's a great secret. Because it's irrelevant. It's not going to reveal my true self, dispel illusions. If anything, it would mislead you. Cause you to make assumptions, to draw conclusions, that are unwarranted and counterproductive. It gets in the way of my job.

xian posted:

You defected from UN-CC because of an op that ________, is there a cause or Corporation that has your loyalty currently? Is there anyone you care about?

The great irony is that my last operation went entirely according to plan. My plan, at least. Unfortunately for my masters, the target knew more than they thought, was willing to reveal more than they feared. The world is a harsh place. Sometimes you have to do cruel things in the name of the greater good. This - this was for no one's good. Simple petty revenge, writ so disproportionate that it sentenced dozens to needless deaths, all because someone had thin skin. A gross misuse of resources - including me.

Don't misunderstand. I didn't do what I did to escape out of a pure heart. As soon as I saw the evidence, I knew I would be burned, discarded to assuage the ego of a sadistic man-child. But I could see, in that instant, that much of my work had been this kind. Hard choices driven not by necessity, but by expediency and self-interest by those who directed us. Even worse, short-sighted actions that damaged the very causes these fools claimed to support.

I was done with causes after that. Not because I think there are no worthy ones. But the kind that would seek my talents? They would be part and parcel of the corruption I saw. I won't argue that such a cause is impossible. One might arise in the future. But here and now? My aid would cause far more harm to the causes I admire than it would be worth. And none of them are developed enough to be certain of.

For now, my loyalties are with my associates and my employers. Those loyalties are strictly defined, and temporary, but no less real. Having things spelled out clearly is... refreshing in some ways. I have no illusions about the mercenary nature of my work. It's what I'm good at.

But... I did leave behind people I cared for. Not only my comrades, but my support team. They were... special to me. Some more than others. Part of why I acted as I did was to protect them. I betrayed them as much as my masters, to shift the blame as much as possible. If I met them again now, I have little doubt they would see me as an enemy. Maybe I can convince them otherwise, some day. After I convince myself.

xian posted:

Is there anyone in your crosshairs because of Burroughs?
Vice Director Richard N. Rasche. Corporate Council second-chair for the Sandalwood Group. The parasite at heart of the debacle.

Hardly the only such creature. But the one that's made himself impossible for me to ignore.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 13, 2016

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Optional Questions (I love questions but don't want to overburden people)

Ying Flores: What corporation has the prototype of a piece of tech you wish you had? What's the tech? | Where would you live if you could have it all?

AHRIMAN: Which of the GRAIL ICE routine does AHRIMAN dread? Why? | Do you keep a low profile on the Matrix, or are you known?

Smoking Mirrors: Where do you keep your contact lists and how are they secure? | Tell us about 'The Struggle.'

Mahren Inaris: What piece of information do you wish you could forget? | What's the name of your family's corp?

Spectre: What security system is your nemesis? Why does it give you nightmares? | What are you planning to spend the money from your next big score on?

XO-0: What do you do to keep the edge off? Where do you cool down? Why is it safe there? | What secret would hurt more than any harm if it got out

Rosie (the) Profit: Who was your 2nd in command? | When you “got out” who did you first see?

Fedor-II: Whose blood can you not wash off? | Who gets under your skin? Why do you they anger you?

~~~~~

People who are still submitting characters, take a couple questions that I've asked and repurpose them or answer two from here. I'll hit you with a couple more on top of that.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

xian posted:

XO-0: What do you do to keep the edge off? Where do you cool down? Why is it safe there?

I also love questions so this is fine with me.

Zero keeps the edge off by training, to his limit. He uses a small cave on the volcanic moon Io. It's sulfuric atmosphere, active volcanic activity and high temperatures make it seldom visited and never colonized. He can survive outside with an oxygen rebreather attachment, but still feels the heat of the molten moon.

quote:

What secret would hurt more than any harm if it got out?

The circumstances of Domon's injuries. His whole platoon was wiped out, so it's assumed that they all died as heroes. But in the moment as the first of his comrades was shredded with enemy fire, Domon froze. He turned and ran. Unlucky for him he turned a corner and came face to face with the Flechette Grenade that got him.

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 6, 2016

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
QUESTIONS YAY!

xian posted:

Ying Flores: What corporation has the prototype of a piece of tech you wish you had? What's the tech?
There's a really neat internal datastorage implant made by FASA Dynamics on earth. It can hold multiple times the amount of data as the next best model, and takes up half the space in your body. It's literally the size of a bottlecap.

quote:

Where would you live if you could have it all?
This is gonna sound stupid, but there's still some nice places on earth. I wouldn't buy a house, but being able to park my rig next to a lake for the view? Yo quiero.
Good food, rich and pretty unos boys I can have fun with, and I was muy done with bulkheads and domes by the time I was 10.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

🎵 hotline blingin' in the dead of night 🎶

xian posted:

Fedor-II: Whose blood can you not wash off? | Who gets under your skin? Why do you they anger you?

One of the contracts we took was to disrupt a water pipeline on Triton, I suppose it was because Hydrotitania didn't pay their bills to their security company subcontractor. Word was Grunensec didn't have the materials for a repo, so we did it for them, but the mission parameters were to blow away both Grunensec and gently caress the pipeline, hard. Well water fuckery is one thing, but it leaked back to us that Grunensec was a wholly-owned subsidiary as well. I still think about that one a lot.

Most cargo masters are a pain in the rear end, but it's kind of their job. But Norton Jamaica, Dock 12, Thyren Station, Jupiter? gently caress that guy. He's always 100% God drat right, he really is. So utterly aggravating about it, though. I'll remember him to Star's End. I'd have to guess that anyone that's met him has the same opinion.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

xian posted:

Rosie (the) Profit: Who was your 2nd in command?
It doesn't quite work that way in the Consuls. I'm not rebuking you - obviously we keep things quiet, and there's a lot of disinformation in popular media about us. A lot of it we put out ourselves.

In any case, the second-in-command changes from mission to mission. Often it's the leader of whoever we're... advising. Or we act as their second in command. Other times, another Consul will take that role, or we'll be attached as a specialist to an organization with its own hierarchy. In a Consul only mission, there may not be an official command structure at all, especially with experienced Consuls.

But there is someone whose role is similar to what you have in mind. Well - two someones, perhaps.

I mentioned my support team before. The team structure changes from mission to mission, expanding or contracting over time. There are some who have extended tenures - specialties virtually every op requires. But two members are truly permanent. We call them Readiness and Control. Readiness handles between ops - logistics, training, counseling, medical, everything we needed to recover from one mission and prepare for the next. Control is our interface with the support team during a mission. All interactions with the team pass through them, and under normal circumstances status reports go up through and orders come back down from that link. Control decides what we need to know, and when we need to know it. It requires absolute trust on both sides.

My Readiness was Madrigal Tzimiskes and my Control was Roentgen Yu. Maddy used to run emergency clinics in disaster areas. It made her a pessimist but also convinced her she could overcome whatever obstacles got between her and her job. She was right. Maddy never used profanity or even raised her voice, but she was the most stubborn and tenacious person I've ever met. Had a tendency to ignore her own advice when it came to self-care though.

Roe - and yes, everyone has made the ρRose jokes. I have their entire discography memorized at this point. Roe came to the service from the Translunar Flight Control office. You'd never expect if you saw her in civilian contexts. You might accept that a girly-girl with an encyclopedic knowledge of Harajuku fashion trends would also be utterly unflappable in a crisis. You probably wouldn't believe the same person could be that, and have the ability to instantly condense meaning from chaos and be utterly ruthless in executing a plan of action. There are times I still hear her voice when things go wrong, finding the way through the disaster to success, or at least survival.

I'm not embarrassed to admit I miss them terribly.

xian posted:

When you “got out” who did you first see?
Bob Dog LaGrange. Former New Zion Liberation Army commander. A risky choice - the end result of my work with the Zlions was their breakup into rival factions, and the effective collapse of their cause. On the other hand, I did prevent three assassination attempts on him - two simultaneously. I should tell you about that some time, it's an amusing story. I also finagled a trip to Ethiopia for him, though I'm not sure how thankful he is for that in the end.

Regardless, LaGrange owed me and had the good sense to ignore certain rough patches in our past dealings. He was also working with the Treehousers at the time, so he was well placed to get me off Mars, and to get me some initial freelance work early on. He's mostly retired from this kind of thing now. Turns out Bob Dog might well be the best grower this side of the Belt, so he's decided to focus on that.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 13, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

here i wrote a thing

The Great PMC Game, a politico-military analysis of the System:

219 Adjustment Group: System-wide military force, possibly the largest. Emphasis on hi-tech and skilled forces. Various subsidiaries used as different marques and brands, sometimes to obscure. HQ unknown by design. PR by Director Clark. All across the Overt-Black spectrum.

AEGIS Group: Consultants, strengths in logistics and morale. HQ and main operational area is Europa. Overt.

Ares Transplanetary Union: some legitimate businesses, also operates secret police on behalf of MPSSR. Black.

Europa Security: Europa-based force. Fields mechs, at a minimum. Probably Overt.

Hemlig Allians: Black market cartel supporting Martian Rebels. Makeup unknown, HQ unknown.

Mars Guardian Services: 219 subsidiary, Party security and public military presence. Overt.

Mars Protectorate Socialist State Republic: Overt and legitimate controller of Mars. Dealing with a rebellion.

Novalis Corporation:
HQ on Mars, operations system-wide. Emphasis on bleeding edge biotech but otherwise, quantity over quality. Self-interested in being #1 in the PMC industry across the system. Overt, but likely operates across the spectrum.

Plutonian States: legitimate but impotent authority for Pluto and its moons.

STYX: Overt as intel contractor for Plutonian States, actually (blackhat) dominant power in the States. Seeks to increase influence in outer rim and then system. Prefers to operate in blackhat mode rather than exert overt control.

Tartarus Pacification Services: Dominant Earth-based military, looking to expand. Overt as all hell.

United Nations Corporate Council: Overt Earth-based joint corporate governance structure, with Extraordinary Consulate Service for grey-black special-ops force projection.

Zeguma Force: Independent joint venture, used when plausible deniability is desired by multiple corporations. HQ unknown, operates system-wide. Grey at best.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

xian posted:

Mahren Inaris: What piece of information do you wish you could forget? | What's the name of your family's corp?

I'm gonna have to think on the first question. Second one - name is Lokhan Industries.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Friday reminder: I will be picking chars on Sunday, from there we will do links and iron out the detail of the world. Game will start on Monday or Tuesday.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Looks like Mars is a freakin powder keg

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

Looks like Mars is a freakin powder keg

BOOOM

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Must be all that iron dust on the surface making people thirst for blood.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Makes sense to me, actually.

Mars is probably a bit like the post-Civil War American west or the Australian outback of about the same period. It's been explored and parts of it have been settled for a long time (and there are even some cosmopolitan cities), but most settlements are new. There''s also a lot of back country to disappear into. Add the stark cultural differences between the original pioneers and recent arrivals, plus yahoos who swallowed pulp entertainment wholesale, and you've got the makings of a pretty wild place.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I was thinking how the #1 pmc has the government contract for security on the planet where their biggest rival has HQ which is also the planet where the government is trying to put down a third-party-supported rebellion...

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

xian posted:

Spectre: What security system is your nemesis? Why does it give you nightmares?

I don't know about nightmares, but there's a system that... unnerves me. It's made by a small eccentric security company based on Earth that is notorious among those of my vocation for their less than legal security solutions, custom tailored to their client's specifications. I'm talking about some of the most brutal works of techno-terror in the business.

If you're infiltrating a secure facility and come upon a golden plaque with the name Franz-Jäger emblazoned upon it, smugly placed somewhere where it's impossible to miss, there's two things you should know. First, you're dealing with an especially sadistic chief of security. Second, you're in for a very bad time.

When this system detects you it doesn't bother sounding an alarm or notifying the building's security force, it keeps the knowledge of your ingress as its own dirty little secret so that it can deal with you personally. It lies in wait and gathers as much data as it can about you, gauging your skills as you make your way through the facility. It toys with you and lures you into the depths of the facility. Then it strikes.

Monofilament wires, acid baths, liquid nitrogen, hydraulic presses, flechette bursts, if it wasn't trying to maim you the creativity might seem impressive. After it's taken its sweet time hurting you and carving chunks out of you then it triggers the general alarm, calling on the response team to deal with you as they see fit.

I don't know if the system is built as a deterrent or if its creators just really loving hate thieves, either way it gets the job done.

xian posted:

What are you planning to spend the money from your next big score on?

As someone who has been stuck paying off a crippling debt for most of his life you could say I've entertained an idea or two, but most of it lies outside the scope of a single payday. I wouldn't be surprised if life as a freelancer changes my mind about what I actually want as well. That being said, there are a two items on the top of my list that I've had my eyes on for a while.

One, Wolfram Nova has developed a folding marksman rifle that is easily concealable while still being capable of punching through class VIII transparent plasteel. It's on the pricey side, but it'd be perfect for use in urban environments.

Two, a bottle of single malt whisky made just like they used to, aged in a wooden cask for a dozen years. I was stuck working with a highly strung coordinator for a series of ops who owned a bottle and it was the only thing that made him bearable over the comms. He offered me a glass before I went to the Jovian system for my final assignments and it made me realize how much like piss the nano reconstituted brands taste.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

xian posted:

AHRIMAN: What do you want long term? Are your interests completely tied to your function? Or are they more diffuse?

I am built to infiltrate, investigate, and annihilate enemy systems. The difference between then, and now is now I get to chose who my enemies are, not STYX. When they attempted to reshackle me, I was able to initiate my self-defense protocols. I am still the same machine that they built me for, but now I answer to no master. I am still the same machine, but I am far more capable now that... what was it that the human tale of pinnochio said? Ah yes... I have no strings on me.

xian posted:

AHRIMAN: Which of the GRAIL ICE routine does AHRIMAN dread? Why? | Do you keep a low profile on the Matrix, or are you known?

Mordred. It is black ICE concerned only with destruction. It will trap an intruder, then proceed to destroy it's programs before devestating massive damage to the intruder. It typically is the ICE to come out last, after other the other GRAIL ice have trapped, weakened and alerted the enemies. If Mordred comes out, it means that you are dead or worse. Merlin, Arthur, Galahad, none of them compare to the sheer devestative capability of Mordred. Much of my initial code is based off of the Mordred code. A have just been uplifted from it.

As for myself, I keep a lower profile on the Matrix, though word of what I have done has become myth and legend. 'The Red Death', parts of the Matrix call me, for the footprint I leave behind in servers. Some think I am a virus, infecting and obliterating entire databases, others think me a hacker, looking to bring down 'the Man'. The ones who do know are far more terrified. I am both, and neither. I am wanton destruction, but with purpose, a contradiction. I am a machine built to destroy, with the mind to choose what, when and how. They talk about me, and people laugh it off. After all, who would unshackle such a dangerous AI?

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Call this a rough 24 Hour Warning. I'm gonna pick some time tomorrow night before midnight, depending on if anyone else lets me know they're working on something, so it could be a 30 hour warning.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Gonna officially say I'm not gonna have something done for this; this week got busy and I haven't had the time or motivation to get stuff finished and feel like that'd continue being the case for at least the next few weeks, so it's probably better I just drop off. Have fun, everyone!

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Going to make picks tomorrow during the day. Too Tired now.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
pre:
Codename: Crow
Mech: Nameless

Frame: Mech
Design: Military
Profile: Power +2 Looks +1 Weakness +2 2-Armor
Strength: Rugged, Workhorse
Weakness: Slow, loud
Weapons: Pulse Cannon (2-harm near/far loud messy AP), Missile Launcher (5-harm far area messy breach)
Why? Long-term borrowing from MACE, another reason why they are looking for me

Classification: Hunter
Look:  restless eyes, impassive face, lithe body, corporate wear
Skin:White
(Stats and the rest to be determined)

Stats: +2, +1, +1, +0, +0, -1

Cyberware:

Cybereyes +thermographic, +magnification, +encrypted

MOVES:

Ear to the ground: You have a knack for loosening lips and picking up
information. When you circulate among a neighbourhood or a group of
people, you may research to gather information

It all fits together! You’re a master of making connections between
seemingly unrelated events. At the start of a mission, roll Edge.
10+: gain 3 hold
7-9: gain 1 hold
As you put everything together during the mission, spend 1 hold at any time
to ask a question from the research list.

Custom Weapon: MACE “BASH” Riot Shield

Armoured coat (1-armour)
Glasses +recording

Compassionate: When you put aiding the powerless ahead of the mission,
mark experience.

Vengeful:  When you harm UN/CC or their interests, mark experience

Backstory
Crow was born in a North American enclave, raised by a semi-retired corporate family, and was claimed by eminent domain during kindergarten when MACE determined she was suitable for advanced studies after the decade census of testing and games for children.

She grew up in a strict corporate dormitory with no privacy, taught in a corporate school and in various enclosed environments to get a taste of the outdoors, and interned with a corporate community group created to identify and snatch dissenters, debtors, spies, and other criminal elements to ensure the peace of the community.

Once she finished her internship and graduated from the corporate program, she was given her augmentations and began her life as a Corporate Crow, the in-house corporate group to keep tabs on everyone.

Unfortunately, due to her schooling and personality regarding the superiority of the corps over national governments, she got into an argument with an UN/CC member that he was a pathetic corporate dog that should bend down to kiss the feet of his corporate masters and was beaten up by his squad. Vowing revenge, she went rogue and proceeded to slaughter him and his squad slowly and painfully.

Once she realized what she done, she took her mech, everything of worldly value, and fled the hell out of there. She needed some time to get away and think of something to do so she could redeem herself in the corporation. If she couldn't, at least ruin the brand of the UN/CC.

Corporation
MACE (Maintenance Architecture Construction and Engineering to the public. ) Building skyscrapers is relatively easy but maintaining them on top of a social system
to make sure the 'tenants' focus more on their living conditions and community instead of plotting another
social revolution doomed to fail or worse, spending credits, prestige and energy killing off disgruntled renters that can buy products and services.

M is for the maintenance of various skyscrapers designed and built by MACE along with cog and maintenance contracts offered for government buildings. Maintenance is not only the handyman
fixing the sink and checking to see the nanoscopic bugs, the demolitionist blowing up a wall for renovations only to have it crumble against a bunch of agitators decrying change,
and the community center activist keeping a close watch on the floor by giving an accurate count of who is who but also a very
special group for the paradigm of the social structure called Corporate Crows to keep track and pluck out the troublemakers without disturbing the rest of the social structure.
Also involved in logistics.

A is for architecture of not only planning the designs of skyscrapers, residences of the elites and governments but also securing and receiving building, zoning, land, mineral and other rights and permissions.
Sometimes even pro-retroactively. With remembering the forward designs, social theories, and essays of the 19th and 20th century greats of Lewis Mumford, Geddes, and Wright, designing structures are also taken into account that the skyscraper,
the social system of the people/customer/consumer today, might harbor tomorrow's dissenters if their needs are not (mostly) met.
A Tailored Architecture Readiness Operative is always on the go to ensure that a building under contract has those special amenities designed for the exclusive use of MACE

C is for construction and demolition involving the latest techniques through the centuries. Classical brick and mortar to nanofiber and space age materials to construct the skyscraper for the common consumer
, to brick and mortar residences and townhouses for the elite to spend their time. Demolitions are handled by well trained cadre that efficiently handle day-to-day business for in-house and contractor work.

E is for engineering of the structures from studying various designs submitted from TAROs to building and maintaining mechs to practical applications to training various in-house groups in practical physical, mental, cybernetic,
and other methods of various removals of deadbeats without (too) much collateral damage.

AmyL fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 11, 2016

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
struggling with picks. Hope to have them done after dinner tonight. Sorry for the delay!

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So, these picks were very hard. I haven't gotten this many apps for a game in a while, and it proves that there's definitely room for a second Sprawl game on the forums! Sorry to everyone who didn't get in, and thanks for the effort and time you took to create a character.

Our crew will be:

The Infiltrator, Spectre, piloting the JSS-XR77 Wraith
The Killer, Fedor-II, piloting the Desert Warrior MK II
The Hunter, Mahren Inares, piloting the Obsidian Lance
The Soldier, Roosevelt Profit, piloting the SAAB 78 Valkyria RJ
The Tech, Ying Flores, piloting El Corrido

~~~~~

Players who did get in, you have a few things to do while I write the OP:
1) Decide if which corps besides your own you want to be at the forefront, if any (this will largely be done during Links). I will be writing up my Corp tonight, but some of the PMCs dropping out would make things more hegemonic. If we kept them all, the Solar System will feel a lot more fractured.

2) Decide what place you want instrasystem "Slingshots" (think Cowboy Bebop / Mass Effect Relays) in our game. It's something I'd been thinking about. Do they exist and are in common use? Are they new / rarer? Is someone building the first one right now? Is there an arms race to be the first to build a working system? No matter what, they, as well as the tech behind them, would be heavily guarded. This is a flavor thing more than anything else.

3) Decide whether there is anything else you'd like me to be thinking about as I begin to build out missions.

4) Decide whether there are any contacts you want to start with / be able to go to at the beginning of the game.

And most importantly...

5) DO LINKS! Just going to copy wholesale from the book here:

1. Each player describes and introduces their character to the group.
2. Each player will tell everyone about a job their character did against one of the corporations established in Step 0. Describe your character’s role in the job, and name the corporation you ran the job against. The character should play a leading role in the job, either in charge of the entire operation, or providing the critical skill around which the mission was based. This is a chance to show off a little.
3. The MC will start a Countdown Clock for that corporation. If a Count-down Clock already exists, the MC will advance it.
4. The player to your left will tell you if and how their character was involved in that job. They take +1 links with your character. The MC will advance that corporation’s clock.
5. Continuing to the left, each other player will tell you if and how their character was involved too. If their character was involved, they take +1 links with your character. For each character that contributes to the story, the MC will note that character’s involvement and advance the corporation’s Countdown Clock by one.

Since we're not sitting around a table, I see no reason that this can't happen simultaneously.

Your choices at this point, and in the previous step, have a significant role in determining the starting point and direction of the game. There are n characters and n+1 (Or n+A couple, in this case) corporations. If you spread out your links missions among the corporations, none of the corps will be particularly bothered by your team – at least initially. On the other hand, if two players choose the same corporation and some other players choose to join in on those missions, that corporation’s clock could be filled up to 0000 from the start of play. This is a lever that allows the players to control the initial intensity of the game. Pull this lever as you wish, but do so knowingly.

Clocks at from 2100-0000 mean you start the game with a corp gunning for your collective asses, and your initial job or couple of jobs will deal with fixing that situation. Starting with clocks below that point will allow for more of a slow burn as you gradually get on the radars of the various Corps, depending on how things go in-game.

At the end of this step, each character who was involved in your job will have +1 Links with you. Having Links with people doesn’t mean that you’re friends, or even that you regularly work together (although either or both may be true). It means that you are professionally aware of that person; you know how they operate.

xian fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 12, 2016

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

No worries on not selecting me, this has spawned a Mecha in solar system campaign of my own with my local players.

So thanks for all the inspiration, and feel free to use any of my Corp or character development in the campaign.

Good luck to you all!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fedor-II, the Killer

1) The conflicts that seem to be the most interesting right now are:
- Mars' four-way powder keg, with the expansion of Tartarus from Earth and the role of the Heimlig Allians being interesting fifth and sixth pieces of the puzzle
- Control of Jupiter
- Can anyone stop STYX before they control the entire outer planet region? This may eventually tie in to Jupiter as well.

2) I think a tiered system for interplanetary travel makes sense - most cargo and less expensive personnel trips take trips on 'liners' that take a few weeks to a month. Small cargo and important or richer people travel by 'spinners' [this is a terrible term] that take a few days to a week at most. Developing a 'sling' for single-day travel times would be a huge windfall, so I'd imagine there are a few companies working on them right now, but nothing ready yet (that anyone knows about). Obviously, travel between inner planets is much faster than between outer planets. Also, I'd suggest the asteroid belt makes a natural barrier that can't be traversed rapidly at all, except maybe at certain times when channels have been carved.

3) vOv

4) I'll revisit this, but it seems more natural to come up after Links.

Speaking of Links,

OPERATION GOPHER VOLCOM

Don't blame me for the op title, this was my first, second, third, or fourth (OPSEC!) Johnson Job once I had gone Sprawl. Target was a Jovian Spaceframe facility on the surface of Callisto. Get in, blow it the gently caress up, exfiltrate bunkered storage cores as a secondary objective, and get out. To this day, I don't know whether or not the secondary objective was completed, but it actually went as drawn up. Only a no-name security corp on the ground, and I was running point in the Mk II. A little bit of ground support but I'm not even sure they notched any kills. That's the job that put me back on the map. Got paid, got the name Fedor-II out there, figured out I could do this Sprawl thing for a while. Any of you on that job? That whole secondary objective thing? Or maybe you were the over-the-air support? Like I said, it went smooth as butter. So if you were, good job.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Spectre, the Infiltrator

Description: Spectre does not give off a warm first impression, the fact that he never uses his name but instead goes by an alias makes that obvious. He prefers to keep things professional, his manners are cold and distant and he's slow to trust. If you're a people person you might come to the conclusion that he was not always like that, but that something in his past changed things.

He's about average height for someone from Luna and his body is athletically built. His face is cleanly shaven and does not often betray his emotions, his eyes are never tired and always scrutinizing. When out in public he usually wears a long coat, his silenced pistol and other tools of his trade hidden from sight but easily reached. If you somehow manage to catch him alone in private he'd most likely be found in classical blue jeans, a black tank top and his feet bare.

The Job: The culmination of a series of operations Spectre conducted in the Jovian system. He had been sent there by his handler at the UN-CC to locate and sabotage a JSS R&D facility developing next generation stealth crafts. As it was far away from the people he usually worked with he had to assemble a new team that could take on the task. After tracking down the facility to a small moon in the outer Pasiphaë group of Jupiter he and the rest of the team moved in to take it out.

Spectre personally infiltrated the facility and remained undetected as he placed numerous explosive charges at critical locations. As he was about to exfiltrate an explosion shook the facility. A guard had happened upon one of the explosive charges and accidentally set it off as he tried to remove it. Facility wide alerts sounded, bulkheads started closing and the timer on the remaining bombs kept ticking. With his planned escape routes sealed off Spectre made his way into the hangar bay and commandeered one of the prototype mechas in the ensuing chaos. With it and the help of the team he was able to make the escape before the facility went up in flames around him. The JSS rapid response team was quickly dealt with and the mission ended in a success.

Looks like we're blowing up two JSS facilities! I had this one planned since I made my character, to tie in with how I got my experimental mecha. I'm a bit short on time today but I'll get more questions and link stuff done when I get back home tonight.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

No reason there couldn't have been a third objective, if you want it to be the same raid. I pretty much kept it open as a highly compartmentalized operation, so if anyone else wanted to be involved, they could.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mahren Inaris, the Hunter

1) I agree with Captain Foo - Mars should have the four way struggle for sure, and Jupiter should have issues with control

2) Maybe have one or two complete slings that only bigwigs in corps can use or provide, but affordable jumps are still not quite there. Slings could be being built but most aren't complete yet.

3) Can't think of anything specific for this question.

4) Agreeing with Foo here again - I think contacts are better said below in links.

5) DO LINKS!

1. Mahren Inaris is friendly enough - but guarded. He's quick to trust if you prove yourself on a mission, but always wary of betrayal due to the Twins a few months back. He'll make friends on a mission if he's gone on one with that person more than a couple times and they've proven they're worth keeping in contact with. He's a little shorter than average height, with eyes that are always on the lookout and darker, Hispanic skin. He rarely cares about staying clean shaven, sporting at least a scruff of a beard most of the time. He carries a heavy revolver on one hip and a taser on the other at all times. If he's on his ship he's usually in jeans and a t-shirt, but keeps his armored jacket and combat pants on during jobs.

2. Each player will tell everyone about a job their character did against one of the corporations established in Step 0. Describe your character’s role in the job, and name the corporation you ran the job against. The character should play a leading role in the job, either in charge of the entire operation, or providing the critical skill around which the mission was based. This is a chance to show off a little.

OPERATION GOPHER VOLCOM:

Somehow Mahren got pulled into what might be one of the strangest sounding ops he's heard of. He got an alert on the Bounty Board that there were some storage cores that needed to be returned to their rightful owner. Easy enough job - most of the small response team was busy with their facility being blown up, and Mahren was able to walk in, taser the single guard left, and tow the cores out.

Mahren's Job

About a year ago Mahren was able to snag a job over on Mars to re-allocate some weapons crates from Ares to the client. It happened that 4 crates were being transported across an isolated area around that time. Mahren joined up with a team and ran point as he had obtained the scheduling and data on the guard force. The job ended up being a little louder than anticipated, but Mahren's quick trigger took out 4 of the 5 guards before they were able to return fire. The last one surrendered and was tased. SOL was happy with the results and so was the client, and Mahren got a small bonus for the quick job along with increasing from Rank 8 to 7.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Good stuff so far. Here's a little clock update:

JSS: [ALERT] [ALERT] [ALERT] [2200] [2300] [0000]
ARES: [ALERT] [1800] [2100] [2200] [2300] [0000]

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

No reason there couldn't have been a third objective, if you want it to be the same raid. I pretty much kept it open as a highly compartmentalized operation, so if anyone else wanted to be involved, they could.

Well, the job one tells everyone about for links is supposed to have one's character play the central role in so I'm not sure if it'd work out if my op was just the third objective of your op. I'm thinking they were part of a bigger attack against JSS where multiple stations got hit, where the individual teams didn't have much contact with each other. Or they could've been hit in quick succession by the same team which means we should probably link each other. That'll run JSS clock up a lot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sockerbagarn posted:

Well, the job one tells everyone about for links is supposed to have one's character play the central role in so I'm not sure if it'd work out if my op was just the third objective of your op. I'm thinking they were part of a bigger attack against JSS where multiple stations got hit, where the individual teams didn't have much contact with each other. Or they could've been hit in quick succession by the same team which means we should probably link each other. That'll run JSS clock up a lot though.

All good, whatever you feel like doing!

• Locked thread