Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite series
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Killer Instinct
Samurai Showdown
King of Fighters
Other
View Results

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rollersnake posted:

Mortal Kombat Trilogy used to be one of my favorites, even though I've always been terrible at MK, and even when I was young and uncritical I could tell it was unbalanced and kind of crap. But there were women with boob-window costumes so many characters! And I actually loved all the palette-swap ninjas for some reason, particularly Rain for being both purple and ludicrously overpowered. It was years before I realized the Prince reference.

Trilogy is pretty fun, and is still kinda deep to be so drat unbalanced. Helps if you ban the bosses, since they were not balanced at all with the other characters, along with Noob Saibot and Rain, since they are both stupidly broken with easy infinites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn-7F2Vf87A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCrve2I58Xc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

Anybody do fighting games on handhelds? The sole reason I bought an NGPC was for Gals' Fighter and Battle Arena Toshinden on Gameboy is better than it has any right to be. There's also some passable ones on DS as well.

Guilty Gear Petit 1 and 2 for the Wonderswan, Dust Strikers for the the DS (lord, developers had a hard on for forcing DS into titles somehow), and Judgment for the PSP are all varying degrees of good to alright.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buE4-YjgKNc

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I remembered a title out of nowhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt9p5BkwXTM

I remember it being decidedly mediocre, and clearly trying to get that MK lightning to strike twice.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I remembered a title out of nowhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt9p5BkwXTM

I remember it being decidedly mediocre, and clearly trying to get that MK lightning to strike twice.

Wasn't that basically a tech demo for MK4

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bio Freaks is another one of the lovely 3d Fighters that werent Tekken era games.

My Favorite will always be Power Stone 2, but I have powerful soft spots for MvC2, SF3-3, Tekken 3, and Bloody Roar 3.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Randaconda posted:

Wasn't that basically a tech demo for MK4

Kinda sorta. It was developed entirely independently (aside from the engine) from MK4, but it was to show off said new 3D engine before MK4 came out. It did have some interesting mechanics, being able to dive into the fore or background as part of your offensive or defensive moves. But was just overall....meh.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh poo poo I forgot Bushido Blade.

Bushido Blade was so so good and every fighting game emulating it down to that ultimate warrior xbox live arcade game is good.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I played the poo poo out of Bushido Blade, but man, I was awful at it. I heard the "spiritual sequel" series, Kengo, wasn't as good, unfortunately.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

What exactly are the tiers for Street Fighter II? Did they change much through the various rereleases? I kind of got the impression that T. Hawk was way overpowered because he has huge reach but that's about it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

What exactly are the tiers for Street Fighter II? Did they change much through the various rereleases? I kind of got the impression that T. Hawk was way overpowered because he has huge reach but that's about it.

in Third Strike, pretty sure Chun-Li and Ken were 1 and 2 in some order, then a large gap, then the others.

EDIT: welp, I was wrong

1 Chun-Li
2 Yun
3 Ken
4 Makoto
5 Yang
6 Dudley
7 Akuma
8 Urien
9 Ryu
10 Ibuki
11 Oro
12 Elena
13 Necro
14 Alex
15 Remy
16 Q
17 Hugo
18 Sean
19 Twelve

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 1, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I played the poo poo out of Bushido Blade, but man, I was awful at it. I heard the "spiritual sequel" series, Kengo, wasn't as good, unfortunately.

It tried to be more technical with different stances and a health bar that wasnt always a one hit kill but kind if played like a mess and single player quote "sucks" according to my friend who owned it. I never played Kengo 2 or 3, so maybe they're better.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

just noticed you said for SF2. I'll give you the tier list for Super Street FIghter 2 Turbo, since it's the most balanced. And lol, both T. Hawk and Zangief are pretty lovely.

SSS Rank:
Akuma
- extremely powerful, cannot be dizzied, red fireball can lock characters down in the corner infinitely, is usually banned in every tournament

S Rank:
O.Sagat, Dhalsim, Boxer, Claw, Chun

A Rank:
Ryu, Dee Jay, Guile, O.Ken, Dictator, O.Hawk

B Rank:
N.Ken, N.Honda, Fei-Long, N.Sagat

C Rank:
Zangief, Cammy, Blanka, N.Hawk

quote:

Super Turbo is more about matchups than definitive tiers. Every N.Character is competitive and several O.Characters are competitive as well (though not all of them). There is no character that is completely excluded from tournament level play because they aren't effectively competitive. While Dhalsim and O.Sagat are clearly better overall than Cammy and N.Hawk, the top tier characters are still beatable, and the low tier characters are still capable of winning. That being said, the odds of seeing Dhalsim and O.Sagat in the later rounds of a tournament, are noticeably higher than seeing a T.Hawk, Blanka, or Cammy player make their way to the finals. But unlike many other fighting games, the lowest tiered characters in ST still make appearances in tournament finals, no one character is completely shutout. In retrospect it is truly amazing to see how ST has evolved into a more balanced game than Capcom ever imagined.

Akuma however is banned in basically every tournament, because he is far too powerful, and dominates the entire cast unfairly. Capcom designed him as a secret boss character for a reason. His air fireball is next to impossible to deal with for most of the cast. His red fireball can be used to infinitely lock any opponent in blockstun in the corner for a perfect, inescapable blockstring, complete with chip damage. And his normals and special moves also have ridiculously high priority hit boxes. It is extremely rare to see a tournament allow Akuma to be used.

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 1, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Huh I remembered him being very good or very bad and I guess good seemed more logical because of the reach thing. So what's wrong with him?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

Huh I remembered him being very good or very bad and I guess good seemed more logical because of the reach thing. So what's wrong with him?

From what I recall, he's slow, big hitbox, 360 motion is hard to do sometimes, 720 even more so, combos are so-so at best, and it's really, really hard to get in close with him without getting punished.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Keep rockin bay bay

I knew that groove was in your heart.

That reminds me, anyone remember that vid where some guy is fishing and a goose is attacking him. Someone dubs Geese Howard's lines over it, and its hilarious.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Jojo's Bizarre Adventure fighting game based on Stardust Crusaders that Capcom released for ps1 is surprisingly fun, even today. It's the same team that made Street Fighter 3.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
yeah that jojo's game is always hot n bangin at The Fightcade. maybe i should give it a whirl sometime

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not many fighting games where a small bird is top tier.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Super Turbo is the GOAT and I still pop in regularly to the Fightcade lobby and throw down with Ryu fundies.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Barudak posted:

Not many fighting games where a small bird is top tier.

As I recall that's because it has the weird power to drop stalacites whenever it wants right?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

As I recall that's because it has the weird power to drop stalacites whenever it wants right?

Basically full screen anytime on demand control and goofy hitbox. This is basically source accurate.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Here's a game that was better than it really had any right to be: Gundam Wing: Endless Duel for the Super Famicom.

Opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt8rj2tMgPI

Some gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbf4ZY_fOD8

Gameplay is pretty tight, and the soundtrack is good (music in that vid is not from it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdhZBPNQ_kM

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Here's a game that was better than it really had any right to be: Gundam Wing: Endless Duel for the Super Famicom.

oh MAN, thank you for reminding me about this game. We used to emulate it and have online tournaments, hahaha.

This also reminds me of the Gundam Battle Assault games on the PS1. Always had tremendous fun with those.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Kazvall posted:

oh MAN, thank you for reminding me about this game. We used to emulate it and have online tournaments, hahaha.

This also reminds me of the Gundam Battle Assault games on the PS1. Always had tremendous fun with those.

Endless Duel really surprised me, when I first played it. The sprites were really nice and detailed, but big, bulky sprites like that almost always end up with a game feeling slow and clunky, but it really didn't.

The baller opening, and soundtrack were extra bonuses on top of that.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Kazvall posted:

I think I had the first Gundam Battle Assault and disliked it because the mechs felt so weighty and slow in it. Which is proper given the size of the things, but I prefer to fail at fighting games in a hyper kinetic spastic lightning fast moves kinda way. Iirc the second game made improvements and is the one everyone likes so its pricier and harder to find.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I posted this in the arcade thread but if anyone wants to play some old fighting games on Fightcade without being obliterated by lab monsters or called racist things please hit me up.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I am not seeing any love for Virtua Fighter and DOA here! In the mid 90s Virtua Fighters graphics were amazing. DOA was mind blowing for the obvious reason. While it was a little later what really was impressive to me was DOA 2 on Dreamcast, who else remembers putting the gd-rom in their computer to see those pics?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i miss old virtua fighter jumping mechanics

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

T. Hawk was considered poo poo for a long time (in Super Turbo) until people put in the time to learn him. He has some really cool option selects with his throw/DP that there is no way for the opponent to escape if executed correctly.

The re-releases were a lot like modern day patches so tiers changed significantly with each new iteration. Tiers changed drastically even within specific games as new strategies and techniques were found.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 4, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember Reptile rose quite a bit in MK3/UMK3 after a decade or more after people figured out more poo poo he could do

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Randaconda posted:

The early 90s, with the release of the stone cold classic Street Fighter 2, started a fighting game boom that lasted a few years, and let to the release of some classic series.
It certainly did. Pre-SF2 fighters are an interesting topic to me. It seems like nobody had the winning formula before Capcom nailed it. I attribute this mostly to the successful and easily performed implementation of a defensive (blocking) mechanic. Before you either did not have a defensive move or it would not make much sense to execute it, as it was considered another "special move" that needed to be timed right as in Barbarian, Budokan, IK+, etc. There just was no incentive to use it unless you wanted to show off or make the fight look a bit more flashy, but it was generally better to perform an attack instead. I am still on my quest to find good pre-SF2-one on one fighting games.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt8rj2tMgPI

Some gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbf4ZY_fOD8

Gameplay is pretty tight, and the soundtrack is good (music in that vid is not from it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdhZBPNQ_kM

Isn't the power rangers fighting game essentially a sprite-swapped version of this?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Isn't the power rangers fighting game essentially a sprite-swapped version of this?

Other way around. The Power Rangers game came first.

And really only kinda. They use the same engine, but improvements were made to it for Endless Duel.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

It certainly did. Pre-SF2 fighters are an interesting topic to me. It seems like nobody had the winning formula before Capcom nailed it. I attribute this mostly to the successful and easily performed implementation of a defensive (blocking) mechanic. Before you either did not have a defensive move or it would not make much sense to execute it, as it was considered another "special move" that needed to be timed right as in Barbarian, Budokan, IK+, etc. There just was no incentive to use it unless you wanted to show off or make the fight look a bit more flashy, but it was generally better to perform an attack instead. I am still on my quest to find good pre-SF2-one on one fighting games.

It would depend what you consider to be a fighting game, I think. If I had to pick pre-combo and instant block games it would be Yi Ar Kung Fu and Karateka.

Yi Ar Kung Fun introduced a lot of fundamental mechanics like special moves (youve got like, sixteen of them) and characters with different fighting styles and techniques. Its an arcade game though, so no multiplayer, but its a string of 1v1 fights.

Karateka is like a predecessor to both brawlers and fighting games and is basically super deadly combat at an admittedly sloooow pace. Large sprites though and features the person your rescuing murdering the poo poo out of you if you arent appropriately humble.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Before SF2 I had plenty of fun with Karate Champ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbMsZTsVJgU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There are some deece pre-SF2 fighting games but SF2 was kind of the perfect storm in getting almost all the pieces into place and it's no wonder that pretty much every single fighting game since is directly patterned after it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kazvall posted:

That reminds me, anyone remember that vid where some guy is fishing and a goose is attacking him. Someone dubs Geese Howard's lines over it, and its hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q81ptFSA4mk

TOOOOO EASY

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There are some deece pre-SF2 fighting games but SF2 was kind of the perfect storm in getting almost all the pieces into place and it's no wonder that pretty much every single fighting game since is directly patterned after it.

Playing SF2 for the first time, on my trusty SNES, was an experience. I had never even thought about a game like that before.

It also started the long tradition of the computer walking towards you and doing charge moves on the harder difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am pretty sure this song is seared into my head for all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfhADiaP5E