Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
All the best isekais have girl protagonists and the most recent one I watched had the protagonist be fantastically bi so lets go with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
The only isekais I've paid any attention to are Ascendance of a Bookworm and I'm A Spider, So What, so I'm compelled to vote for an asexual woman.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Bi guy.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's tragic that CK3 doesn't have plagues yet so we can't get ANIME written across 2/3 of Eurasia in blood red.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
This is the worst and best possible premise for a CK3 LP. In my experience, there are two kinds of isekai:
  • Fun garbage
  • Complete garbage.
I’m hoping for a combination of the two.

paragon1 posted:

All the best isekais have girl protagonists and the most recent one I watched had the protagonist be fantastically bi so lets go with that.

Very, very few harem anythings sell you on the protagonist being charismatic enough to seduce half a dozen at once, but Hamefura pulls it off by having Katarina Manic Pixie Dream Idiot her way through like eight different people’s lives. Voting female and bi.

E:

megane posted:

It's tragic that CK3 doesn't have plagues yet so we can't get ANIME written across 2/3 of Eurasia in blood red.
Does CK3 let you rename kingdoms like CK2 did?

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 13, 2021

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Falconier111 posted:

Does CK3 let you rename kingdoms like CK2 did?

Yes it does.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

sword lesbian

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

There are some not terrible Isekai anime(generally speaking the ones that aren't just power fantasies), and the favorite I've seen had a female protagonist, who had both girls and guys pining for her, sooooo...

1. Female
2. Bisexual

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
How I wish gender could be 'sword', 'spider', or 'bear'.

1. Female
2. Bisexual

From experience, the best isekais have female or non-gendered leads.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Falconier111 posted:

Very, very few harem anythings sell you on the protagonist being charismatic enough to seduce half a dozen at once, but Hamefura pulls it off by having Katarina Manic Pixie Dream Idiot her way through like eight different people’s lives.
Hamefura is a fun romp, yeah

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
1. Female
2. Bisexual

There simply is no better option.

Prince Orcus
Mar 1, 2016
Gonna echo Female and Bi as the good and fun options.

Also very important is that we have the absolute BIGGEST hair possible. Bonus points for blue, but as long as it's BIG.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
No enormous boost to Attraction Opinion?? I don't know anything about animes but this seems like an oversight.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

GURL BYE

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
1. Girl
2. Yes.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Covski posted:

No enormous boost to Attraction Opinion??

:one:

Calling it now: every time our viewpoint character dies somebody else with that trait gets isekai’d into a random court.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Honestly, just going through the votes makes it clear that bisexual woman has won by a landslide, so that's what we're going with. I'll be working on the update and prepping some stuff. I might also be reviewing the first few chapters of this book as a taster as to what your typical Isekai novel is like:

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

sheep-dodger posted:

Hamefura is a fun romp, yeah

Yeah, Hamefura was the one I was talking about too.
It surprised me with how enjoyable it was.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I'll be working on the update and prepping some stuff. I might also be reviewing the first few chapters of this book as a taster as to what your typical Isekai novel is like:

Oh this is gonna be gooood :getin:

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Honestly, just going through the votes makes it clear that bisexual woman has won by a landslide, so that's what we're going with. I'll be working on the update and prepping some stuff. I might also be reviewing the first few chapters of this book as a taster as to what your typical Isekai novel is like:

Wow, I hate it already! :allears:

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

At least he's got enough upper body strength to carry his wife everywhere. :allears:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kangxi posted:

At least he's got enough upper body strength to carry his wife everywhere. :allears:

I believe the technical term is 'waifu'. :v:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

:anime: "You were killed, but I shall allow you to be reborn in the world of a game you've played."

:j: "Whoa, really? ...wait, which game?"

:anime: "..."

:j: "Which loving game?"

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I burst out laughing at the cover. That’s always a good sign.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

1. Girl
2. Lesbian

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Here's hoping our lady doesn't stop at any inns that smell like manure. :cheeky:

Gideon020 fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 14, 2021

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Isekai Review: Middle-Aged Businessman, Arise in Another World!

This is going to be pretty short, since this is just a review of a two chapter sample, because I am not forking over $7 for a lousy Light Novel.

So I originally intended to list this book as an example of the isekai genre, but I thought to myself, "Wait, the hero is a beefy middle-aged man instead of a skinny teenager, maybe this one isn't as bad as the others". And thus I cut it. But as some of my friends pointed out, it's really just a different sort of power fantasy.

One of my friends heroically volunteered to read it, and it became abundantly clear that this was trash like any other isekai. Since it was short, I figured reviewing it would be a nice thing to talk about while I work on the update, which hopefully should drop sometime next week. And so here we are.

This is the kind of stuff we're dealing with here.

The woman attached to this apparently wondrous pair of honkers is Silvia, a goddess and the wife of our protagonist, Shouzou Onigawara. I should note that there is a discrepancy between the cover art and description of Silvia. Silvia has silver hair, not blond hair.

Anyways, the story begins with Shouzou, our hero and employee of a black company, a term used for sweat-shop style companies in Japan that exhaust and overwork their employees, sometimes to the point of death. He's 28, exhausted, and still single. Why?

That's right, he's the mysterious and elusive beefcake incel. He's just too scary for women to handle. Anyways he's coming home from work and that's when he meets a mysterious woman standing in the rain, soaking wet without any kind of coverage. She also has a massive pair of tits, as the narration loves to remind you. This is Silvia, his future wife, and he loans her his umbrella after an awkward conversation and goes home.

Since this is apparently the first nice thing anyone has done for her, Silvia decides that Shouzou's just a really cool dude and follows him home. Not only that, she asks him if she could, y'know, stay the night since she has nowhere else to go. She also uses his shower and also invites Shouzou to shower with her. He declines and moves to tidy up his apartment when all of a sudden:

:suicide:

gently caress this goddamn book.

Anyways, Shouzou lets her stay the night and Silvia initiates sex with him and they get married and have three beautiful children together. That's chapter 1.

13 years later, Shouzou's living the good life. He has a house, a loving wife (with ginormous boobs), and three lovely daughters. However, something's off. For some reason the TV isn't working. He's a little confused but takes it in stride. He goes outside to get the newspaper and is greeted with a very strange sight.

Something has happened to his house and he's not sure what. What follows is several pages of Shouzou trying to figure out what's going on until a young woman shows up and explains things. She's also a goddess by the name of Emalia, and she explains that the celestial realm was testing out a new transmigration system and accidentally transported Shouzou and his entire household to another plane of existence.

Well, that's convienent. Emalia further explains that the system will take a year to fix at the earliest, though Shouzou estimates that it will take longer. When Shouzou inquires as to how they will be supported during this inconvenience, Emalia responds that she'll look for work, since her powers have been heavily restricted. At this point Shouzou takes pity on her, as it's obvious that she's been made to take the fall for someone else's gently caress up. The chapter ends there, but from the summary I read elsewhere Shouzou's also going to take up a job and use his goddess-granted powers to uh, be a real good salesman.

Apparently things kinda escalate.

Anyways, I have no interest in continuing this book, unless y'all want to buy it for me. This should give you a taste of what your typical Isekai is like and believe me it's going to get worse from here.

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 15, 2021

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Good lord, that's certainly some... quality.
Feels like you picked a good start off point, because I remember from a discussion on twitter from a few weeks back about the genre's less than stellar views on women. I mean that one isn't great but there are far, far worse examples out there.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

megane posted:

:anime: "You were killed, but I shall allow you to be reborn in the world of a game you've played."

:j: "Whoa, really? ...wait, which game?"

:anime: "..."

:j: "Which loving game?"

“Submitted for your consideration: a man who’s squandered his first life being offered a second chance, and using it to recast his life and himself in a more perfect—nay, a downright supherhuman—mold.” Rod Serling emerges silently from the shadows and cigarette smoke as your blood freezes. “Or at any rate, that’s how it appears on the surface.”

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Looks ghastly. Thank you for the post and reviews, and I'll take everyone else's word for it about what else is out there.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Somebody had to translate this. Somebody went to school for a degree, maybe more than one, just to understand Japanese and English well enough to translate complex, sophisticated texts between two very different languages. Do they dream of translating literature? Bridging cultures? Conducting diplomacy? Making a difference in the lives of countless readers? And instead of doing any of that they have to translate the literary equivalent of a middle-aged loner jerking himself off.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Falconier111 posted:

Somebody had to translate this. Somebody went to school for a degree, maybe more than one, just to understand Japanese and English well enough to translate complex, sophisticated texts between two very different languages. Do they dream of translating literature? Bridging cultures? Conducting diplomacy? Making a difference in the lives of countless readers? And instead of doing any of that they have to translate the literary equivalent of a middle-aged loner jerking himself off.

As funny as this is to imagine, there's countless people on the internet translating obscure manga and pasting them on various pirate websites. Some of these people enjoy their work. Even the ones translating bad isekai.

And then you look at the comments and they're also enjoying the bad isekai.

Then you look down and question why humanity exists.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Isekai is a mine field of awful.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
The amount of convenience in the transition and the anatomical interest of the author seems rather typical of an isekai. Though there's wish fulfillment that happens before the actual transportation to said other world. There's a weird amount of effort-but-not-really put into this stuff. I assume that will continue to be a thing throughout all of the ones you review.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I like when Isekai are cute and gay

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Compared to some of the stuff out there this one was downright inoffensive. Like if the writing just being embarrassingly, hamfistedly horny bothers anyone reading this then they may want to find another thread because if so they're in for a bad time.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

I feel like I should mention that not all the isekai I'll be reviewing will be this kind of bad or worse. There are some isekai that are actually pretty fun and interesting, though they usually are not without some issue. That being said, there are a few isekai I'll be reviewing that I feel are both notable enough to talk about and also have some rather disturbing content, beyond just general anime horniness. I'll be liking these offsite so people don't have to see them in the thread. The next isekai I'm reviewing may be a little easy on the action, but I think the series as a whole is wholesome in concept and mostly in execution (besides some horniness).

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 15, 2021

Voisk
May 9, 2013
I actually like Isekai style stories. They end up as a bit of a guilty pleasure when I'm in the mood to read something, but not something that's, "Too good". A lot of them are bad... but I view those as about the same as sitting around watching bad horror movies. It's fun to bitch about the stupid stuff. Sometimes you find one that is good or at least has interesting elements to it. I tend to actually like the ones that are not just power wish fulfillment, but most of the shovelware is exactly that.

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
What a hell of a concept, I'm looking forward to how dumb this is gonna get. I've been fortunate to have the isekai stories I know about curated on my behalf to prune out the true worst, but always love some good Bad Fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

What a hell of a concept, I'm looking forward to how dumb this is gonna get. I've been fortunate to have the isekai stories I know about curated on my behalf to prune out the true worst, but always love some good Bad Fiction.

You are in for some Real good BAD FICTION.