Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ForeverBWFC posted:

I quite like the idea of a coyote, though I can't reason exactly why...

I don't think there are Middle Eastern coyotes.

Jackals, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Mors Rattus posted:

I don't think there are Middle Eastern coyotes.

Jackals, though!

Jackal works, for image and connotation!

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk81yzaurGw

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I keep wanting to suggest various Mesopotamian beasties, but they mostly came up with a bunch of mixed-up wuzzles that the gods put sharp things in. Also Pazuzu sounds like a straight-up CoD Demon, not a guardian spirit.

I want to use the Palm Tree King in something now, though. :ssh:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
You also ideally want an animal people would WANT as a totem. So, you know. Not spiders.

Lions are hunted to prove kingly power in this era. Taking the lion as our totem as we seek to dethrone kings could be pretty fitting! Lions are generally really important and used commonly, but mostly they're the best animals to murder when you want to prove how great a king you are.

Y'all a bunch of werewolves and the Bull is the symbol for the moon in many areas around now, so that could also fit if you wanted to not be subtle at all. Bulls in general are super important, like lions, and used for, uh, LOTS of stuff. Especially if you give it a dude's head. People LOVE that poo poo!

Spiders are used for nothing. gently caress spiders. We aren't making our goddamn totem a spider. I'm casting my veto. No spiders.

For wolves, you can turn to Gilgamesh, who recounted that the goddess Ishtar was once being courted by a shepherd. She didn't want any of that poo poo so she turned him into a wolf. Wolves are not going to be seen in a positive light, especially given how important sheep and shepherding are, and mostly appear in stories as a warning or to be killed off.

I cannot find anything on how jackals are viewed in this area, at this time, so uh, someone else could step in if they want. Dogs do, but they're serving the same place they'll continue to serve until, uh, now - as mankind's happy loyal companions, hunters, protectors, and, well, generally, lessers. Probably not the best totem unless you wanna do some kinda reverso thing on it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, lion works pretty well, since they're clearly outside of civilization if still afforded some nobility, even if they're generally not credited with wisdom. Bull might work too, but it pulls a lot of duty as a symbol of civilization for obvious reasons, so probably less so.

There isn't a ton of information on the culture from this time, so it's a bit like reading tea leaves, you can twist things to make then appropriate for a werewolf sept, which may not follow the current cultural zeitgeist.

But yeah, probably not spiders.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Jackals are often treated as tricksters or thieves, except in Egypt, where their association with Anubis means they have ties to death and mummies. Jackals may also carry symbolism of desolation, ruin, loneliness or abandonment.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
I'm not really in favor of a trickster totem, if only because it doesn't really match the tenor of the tribe that's developed between all our apps and the side-characters we made. The tribe seems more focused on war than sneakiness. Something to keep in mind.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'm gonna go ahead and push for Lion and Bull, in that order, even though I said I wouldn't make that decision :B

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and push for Lion and Bull, in that order, even though I said I wouldn't make that decision :B

I'd be happy with either, but I'd prefer Bull over Lion (boo cats!)

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

ForeverBWFC posted:

I'd be happy with either, but I'd prefer Bull over Lion (boo cats!)

See, I'd go the opposite way. Lion over Bull. Both for the obvious king angle, and because the whole clan of wolves gathered around a big cat spirit. Cats and dogs living together, we'll turn the whole world upside down. Also, since the totem seems like it'll be a big part of defining the tribe's ethos, I think it makes sense even for people without dots to vote.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Either Lion or Bull is fine. If bulls really are associated with the moon, that would be my preference. Who needs subtlety?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Since we're talking about lions and bulls, why not a Lamassu? Sumerian celestial beings that are either winged bulls or lions, with a human head.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nighzid-Ghudham-Mazhig, the Revelation of Truth, is a great bull. Its power is that of truth revealed, and it is kin in some ways to the lunes, for the truth it reveals can be joyful or maddening, much as the phases of the moon can shift. It offers its service to the tribe in return for their sacrifices of bulls and for its desire to see them reveal the truth of the world around it. However, while it is now a power of truth, in its early days it was a mere bull spirit, and it demands that any who honor it by sacrifice be allowed to go in peace until they make themselves enemies once more.

Nighzid-Ghudham-Mazhig, the Revelation of Truth, Spirit of Bulls and Secrets

Power: 5
Finesse: 7
Resistance: 4

Corpus: 11/11
Willpower: 10/10
Essence: 20/20
Initiative: 11
Defense: 5
Speed: 15
Size: 7

Influences:
Bulls 3

Numina: Dement, Omen Trance, Rapture, Seek, Sign

Totem Benefit: Inspiring, +1 Occult
Aspiration: Reveal a true secret hidden by an enemy.
Ban: Do not harm those who offer a bull in sacrifice until they harm you.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 13, 2016

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
They're both pretty great, but my vote's going to Nighzid-Ghudham-Mazhig because it makes it 100% clear why Eulli sought it out.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Namurun-Ghabhal Dhursagh, the Lord of the Burning Sands is a better fit I think, plus I like his aspiration and ban better. I feel like the bull's ban is a recipe for anti-climax. Also, 3 demons hanging around a truth spirit.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Nighzid-Ghudham-Mazhig is probably my pick of the two, because something counter to my concept is more interesting.

Also I want to see everybody barf Inspiring at each other all day, every day.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If you want to suggest a different Ban, feel free.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Valhawk posted:

Also, 3 demons hanging around a truth spirit.

I vote the truth-bull spirit for this reason.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
I vote for Nighzid-Ghudham-Mazhig. So much potential interesting conflict there. The whole "truth spirit" thing might make the demons and hidden vampires nervous, but their nature being revealed wouldn't be a game over like it would be in some other games.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

How do y'all feel about Ban: You may not break or cross a boundary made of fresh bull's blood?

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

How do y'all feel about Ban: You may not break or cross a boundary made of fresh bull's blood?

I'd be ok with it until some one kills a bull outside my tent then mocks me from the other side of the blood pool whilst I howl vainly at them... (Yeah, I'm down with that).

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm fine with that.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Since Valhawk is cool with it, let's do that Ban then. Plenty of ways for that one to screw us too! Can't wait.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I'm ok with all this.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
So, tribe name... I sat we leave it up to Mors. He knows the full backstory of the tribe afterall.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764244

Thread's up.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
So we're coming up on two weeks without posts from any players but me and Alien Rope Burn. Is this game still alive?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It is, my life's just been in a bit of a wringer this past month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Likewise with me re: life and stress. Apologies; will make a concentrated effort this week assuming stressful poo poo starts to get better (lmao no promises there tho)

• Locked thread