Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Is anybody else reading Turing as Gortys from Tales from the Borderlands?

Well, I am now.

He has his own cute little bleepy-bloopy 'voice' in game and makes a lot of cute chirpy response sounds, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I remember a month or so back, the developers put out some audition sides for the game, so they may actually be adding voice acting eventually.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Man, the Human Revolution looks like it could have been an interesting philisophical thing about whether or not humanity is getting thrown aside with all the modifications but they're throwing it away to make them a "we hate progress and technology" thing? Seems like wasted potential.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

inscrutable horse posted:

It (the game in general) comes off as the stereotypical vegan, who has to mention their particular lifestyle at regular intervals, in case someone forgot.

Waffleman's right, you're jumping the gun a little, I'll get back to you later in the game when what you're griping about is more relevant. Just, for the record: So far the only explicit mention of anyone's gender, be it conventional or otherwise, has been Turing asking for our pronouns as part of the user setup wizard (which I thought was a cute way of getting around the problem, since real setup wizards do the exact same thing and everyone thinks that's perfectly reasonable, because how the gently caress is a computer supposed to know?).

SirSamVimes posted:

Man, the Human Revolution looks like it could have been an interesting philisophical thing about whether or not humanity is getting thrown aside with all the modifications but they're throwing it away to make them a "we hate progress and technology" thing? Seems like wasted potential.

Remember, kids, it's not the color of your skin that makes you human; it's the color, and the shape, and the composition!

In all seriousness though I'm not entirely certain you're correct. "Are we less human if we modify ourselves" is basically a transhumanist version of "we're dumber because technology does everything for us." I don't really see anyone treating that as a serious philosophical debate; the reasons why vary but whatever those reasons may be it's just curmudgeons grousing impotently.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Dr. Buttass posted:

Waffleman's right, you're jumping the gun a little, I'll get back to you later in the game when what you're griping about is more relevant.

Yeah, that's reasonable. Skirting around spoilers is a colossal pain in the rear end :)

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I was hoping you could join the human revolution from the hour of gameplay I saw of this but no, I guess they are future racists. There is other media that deals with "what does it mean to be human" in a more even handed tone though I guess.

Dr. Buttass posted:

In all seriousness though I'm not entirely certain you're correct. "Are we less human if we modify ourselves" is basically a transhumanist version of "we're dumber because technology does everything for us." I don't really see anyone treating that as a serious philosophical debate; the reasons why vary but whatever those reasons may be it's just curmudgeons grousing impotently.
You don't see how people modifying themselves to be naturally superior to others or physically something other than human might lead to a serious philosophical debate with some very heavy implications?

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 27, 2016

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Man Whore posted:

You don't see how people modifying themselves to be naturally superior to others or physically something other than human might lead to a serious philosophical debate with some very heavy implications?

No, I think it leads to pretty serious ethical and legal debates, but the philosophy mainly just does a little dance around Godwin's Law going "I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you!"

See, what you're suggesting has nothing to do with the act and/or nature of self-modification in and of itself, it's too tied up in how people use it. There is absolutely room for abuse or weirdness here but it's all basically just an updated version of stuff we do with current technology in real life. Nobody is asking if guns or piercings make us less human (when we start, get back to me). The actual question is just, "if I turn myself into a cyborg or a ridiculous furry or just some kind of bizarre abstract shape designed to survive in an extreme environment, am I less human than someone who did not?"

Philosophically, no. "Humanity" is an abstract quality that can't be quantified, but insofar as people try, it can be crudely and imperfectly simplified into a cross-section of how people feel about you and your ability and inclination to behave ethically according to the social contract. A philanthropist who devotes all their time and money to caring for orphans is considered more human than a cannibal that devotes it to eating them, who may literally be described as "inhuman". If you marry the abstract quality of "humanity" to the quantifiable data regarding the physical percentage of their body or genome which matches a general template of unmodified Homo sapiens, you are betraying one (or both) of two biases: either you like them less because they modified themselves, or else you think choosing to modify themselves makes them inherently less of a good person. We have scads upon scads of childrens' media devoted to the perils of judging peoples' moral or personal worth based on their physical appearance (and at least one rather famous example from real life history of what happens when you do it with genetics-I told you we were going to get real close to this).

Further counterpoint: modern real-life prostheses. If these don't apply, then I challenge you to tell me where is the line between these and a more sophisticated hypothetical future one that people might get voluntarily, that the hypothetical one makes its owner less human. And if they do apply, then I kind of want to stop talking to you now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
genetically modified stuff has lots of problems with recessive/dominant traits so there are concerns wrt reproduction there that don't fit any other kind of modification

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Cybernetics are cool and good, but genetic modding may literally turn you into something other than human physically and is p hosed up imo. I was more talking the social implications, especially if these genetic modifications cost money because now not only are the rich richer but they are also smarter, better, faster, and stronger. The Rich man is now superior to you in all ways but moral.
Not to mention people are having a hard enough time dealing with people who speak other languages or have a different skin color, what do you think they are going to do when there are literal cat people running around. Of course that cat person can afford gene modding so they are probably rich and also smarter, better, faster, and stronger.
I really don't see gene modding making something that's not a dystopia unless they are regulated by a government agency of some kind. else you end up with a literal genetic underclass.
I guess thats not philosophy tho

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 28, 2016

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

corn in the bible posted:

genetically modified stuff has lots of problems with recessive/dominant traits so there are concerns wrt reproduction there that don't fit any other kind of modification

Still ethics. See: the period of US history wherein quite a lot of people were forcibly sterilized using a very loose definition of "mental disability."

Also medical. It's not exactly a new concept for doctors to tell their patients about the lasting consequences of any given procedure, I don't see why gengineering should be any different.

Man Whore posted:

Cybernetics are cool and good, but genetic modding may literally turn you into something other than human physically and is p hosed up imo. I was more talking the social implications, especially if these genetic modifications cost money because now not only are the rich richer but they are also smarter, better, faster, and stronger. The Rich man is now superior to you in all ways but moral.
Not to mention people are having a hard enough time dealing with people who speak other languages or have a different skin color, what do you think they are going to do when there are literal cat people running around. Of course that cat person can afford gene modding so they are probably rich and also smarter, better, faster, and stronger.
I really don't see gene modding making something that's not a dystopia unless they are regulated by a government agency of some kind. else you end up with a literal genetic underclass.
I guess thats not philosophy tho

Well then it's damned if you do, damned if you don't, because I'm certainly no fan of giving the rich yet another leg up but I can't get behind the government regulating peoples' genetics either, because literally every time they've done that in real life the main goal was to eliminate a "genetic underclass" of one variety or another. We're already assuming that this hypothetical situation hews close enough to real life that we're going to try and skin everyone who looks different from us, I can't imagine any reason why the government would suddenly magically behave itself. For that matter if we're going this direction why are cybernetics special again? The most sophisticated cybernetics are going to be the most expensive and therefore yet one more way the rich are going to have a leg up. If they're sophisticated enough to be called "cybernetics" they're certainly going to offer a significant upgrade in capabilities.

You are correct though this is not philosophy.

quote:

Cybernetics are cool and good, but genetic modding may literally turn you into something other than human physically and is p hosed up imo.

This bit is though and even though you technically fulfilled my condition it sort of makes me want to not talk to you anymore all the same.

Dr. Buttass fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 28, 2016

Andou
Jun 12, 2014
I think we should just satisfy ourselves by saying that this debate is complex enough to warrant loads of fiction and non-fiction to explore it with, and to just lightly discuss the topics here in the LP forum. Also I don't think that H.R. really took Hayden. Mostly because that graffiti was put up hours after he was actually kidnapped, or is this story simpler than I think it is?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

SirSamVimes posted:

Well, anybody can spray graffiti. So if someone else broke in and trashed the place Human Revolution are certainly someone to blame.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Glazius posted:

Well, anybody can spray graffiti. So if someone else broke in and trashed the place Human Revolution are certainly someone to blame.

I will take back my grumbling if it turns out to be a frame and the Human Revolution aren't painted as just being backwards progress-haters.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
The thing is that they haven't specified (yet) how much DNA is changed when humans are modified. Is it a few genes or is it a lot? Are there people out there who are 50% human and 50% giraffe? If so, how do you treat someone who is 50% human and 50% giraffe? On one hand, they are human, on the other.... they're a giraffe.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lareine posted:

The thing is that they haven't specified (yet) how much DNA is changed when humans are modified. Is it a few genes or is it a lot? Are there people out there who are 50% human and 50% giraffe? If so, how do you treat someone who is 50% human and 50% giraffe? On one hand, they are human, on the other.... they're a giraffe.

they explain that in excruciating detail later so don't worry. any questions you have about this world will be answered, possibly far more than you wanted them to be.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SirSamVimes posted:

I will take back my grumbling if it turns out to be a frame and the Human Revolution aren't painted as just being backwards progress-haters.

I wouldn't put good odds on the HR being more than cardboard cutouts, but I'm reasonably certain that in this case the graffiti is a smokescreen to cover up the kidnapping and destruction of important research. That's like Cyberpunk Cover-Up 101.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

they explain that in excruciating detail later so don't worry. any questions you have about this world will be answered, possibly far more than you wanted them to be.

Oh. Good?

...poo poo. It's gonna be like a Turing info dump, isn't it?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm just gonna save you from the heartbreak right now.

Remember that sarcastic remark I made earlier? That's the Human Revolution, except they say it in a reasonable tone of voice.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Update 5 - Fairlight

Music: Silence

Instead of using their portraits for this scene, the game animates the Turing sitting right in front of us. A nice touch, but it doesn't really come across in screenshots.

I have spent the past thirty minutes calculating the odds of you being indefinitely incapacitated or immobilized. I'm relieved to find my pessimism was misplaced, and that you appear to be okay.

-Yeah, I am. Are you okay?
-My head is killing me. What happened?
-Not so loud! Your voice is even more agonizing than usual.

I'm fine. whoever ambushed us clearly wasn't interested in causing either of us serious harm. After you collapsed, my power systems were jammed by whoever attacked us. It took me ten minutes to reboot and call an ambulance. When we left, I noticed they had done the same thing to the NSFPD ROM that was standing post. It takes a lot of power to crash one of those even temporarily. What's strange...is that there isn't evidence of any impact trauma to your head at all. The doctors were originally worried that you may have suffered a concussion, but thankfully that isn't the case. My best calculations indicate you were hit with some kind of neurological scrambler. They are serious military hardware and difficult to obtain, and that type of non-lethal electrical field would interrupt my systems as well. A mil-spec neuro-scrambler is my best deduction.

-Who do you think did this?

Perhaps a big multi-national corporation, or even an actual government. I now believe my original hypothesis to have been correct. Hayden must have been kidnapped by a powerful organization looking to get control of his research. Trashing our apartment may have been a cover for the theft of that data cache we were looking for.

-And why did they attack us and just leave?

If we walked in on them while they were searching the apartment for Hayden's files, I can understand them stunning us to make their escape. But the probability that they're actually after me, or rather, the research behind my creation, seems high. Leaving me when I was so vulnerable makes no sense.

-Maybe they didn't recognize you?
-Maybe they want you to lead them to the rest of Hayden's research?
-Maybe it really was someone unrelated?

A reasonable deduction, Mac. We'll have to be careful from here on out, so as to prevent our stalkers from snatching our prize from us. If they don't yet have Hayden's research, we may still have time to rescue him before something really bad happens to him.

-Did you see who hit us?

No, I didn't. They hit us from behind, and nothing showed up on my optics before I was disrupted. They either had cloaking of some kind, or were just very careful making their way into the apartment. My optics, while not top of the line, are better than an off-the-shelf ROM's, and I should have been able to detect any thermal changes from someone being there.
Did they just sneak in the front door while we were there rummaging?! When my RAM got scrambled, I lost a few seconds of memory that hadn't yet been written to my data drive.
Anyway, the nurses told me they do want you to stay overnight for observation, Mac. A sound precaution to be sure, but if we were hit with a neuro-scrambler, not a blunt object, it's a waste of time. I won't presume to make medical decisions for you, but perhaps we should pressure them for your release today? It's just...Hayden's trail is getting cold.
Oh! Before I forget, here are your belongings. The nurses had me hold onto them for you until you awoke. Here's your ID card. Don't lose this again!

Here are those headphones you reviewed.

I noticed the article on your computer before. Good job getting published! And...here's your spoiled milk.

Luckily the hospital staff didn't find your carrying a carton of spoiled milk around to be cause for concern. And finally, here's your commemorative glass of water that you got from ALPHiE. Looks like it got broken...now all we have is this broken commemorative glass.

-Maybe we should just throw it away.

You're right. You wouldn't want to cut yourself.

Just let me know when you want to leave.

???: Have I overheard that your friend has gone missing?

We're given a chance to examine our surroundings before dealing with the mystery person. There's not much to look at with those curtains in the way, though. Let's use the spoiled milk on the medical monitor and get on with our day.

The nurses were wrong to let you keep it.

Use SPOILED MILK on BED.

Please don't make me take that away from you. I really don't want to have to hold it again!

Use HEADPHONES on TURING.

Well, maybe you shouldn't pick on Turing. The little robot did seem very concerned for your health, and waited here with you all this time.

All we can really do is pull back the curtain. If we try talking at it, the mystery voice complains that they can't hear us.

Use SPOILED MILK on WINDOW.

If you're going to dump that, find a sink.

Oh, right, that guy. Guess we'd better talk to him.

He is an old friend of mine, and I would be most concerned if it were indeed he who you were discussing. Is everything alright?

-Who are you?
-Were you listening in on our conversation?

Music: Tell Me Your Story

Ah, of course. I have not yet introduced myself. You are quite right to be wary, assuming the serious nature of what I have overheard. My name is Doctor Yannick Fairlight, and I am the founder and former CEO of System One Software. Now a Parallax company.

He is telling the truth, at least as far as I can inuit from information on the meshnet. And I do recall Hayden mentioning a Dr. Fairlight, at least once in passing at some point.

Ah, I see...! Confirmation of my identity!

-Were you listening in on our conversation?

I apologize for that. It isn't difficult to overhear bits of every conversation in this room. I may not regret it, however, if this situation indeed concerns us both. Perhaps we can help each other. I will not press you for information, but perhaps I can be of some assistance? I remember my association with Hayden fondly, and I would be happy to help in any way I can. I have nothing better to do, regardless.

-How did you meet Hayden?

Hayden and I made our acquaintance when Parallax and my company underwent a merger. At the time, Hayden was merely a young hotshot researcher working in the search data correlation sector. He was assigned to find the best ways to integrate Parallax's own collection and analysis tools into System One's LIPS operating system. He was a bit much to handle at times, honestly, but I admired his passion for the subject.

-You said former CEO?

Ah. Yes. Former. I accepted a lower position after the merger with Parallax, though that too did not last. The new board of directors and I had a...difference of opinion about the direction the new company should take. The distributed meshnet that current-generation ROMs use was, at the time, highly experimental. I felt that a non-centralized data scheme was dangerous, both from internal and external threats. I have been proven wrong so far, but the security work that goes into maintaining the integrity of the meshnet is incredibly expensive. There were...other disagreements. But in the end, I was voted off the board of directors and exited from the company. It would be dishonest to say there are no hard feelings, but I am still a very wealthy man, and I have found other projects to occupy my time.

-Do you know anything about Hayden's research?

His research? No, not so much. I remember at the time he had an interest in advanced machine sapience, but that is the realm of science fiction. ...He once showed me a prototype of his. She was quite clever, and very convincing, but you could tell she did not contain the spark of life. I assume that you are another of his creations?
Yes, I am. I'm sorry, I didn't introduce myself. My name is Turing, and they are Mac. Um...did you say 'she'?
Ah. Yes, she was quite insistent on that fact over the course of my conversation with her. Hayden said that she had picked out the color for her casing herself. Pastel pink. Still, I must assume you are far more advanced than she, if you are spearheading the search for your creator. Perhaps I should have had more faith in Hayden's little hobby.
Do you know what became of her? Or where she might be now? Hayden has told me so little of his past research.
I'm sorry, Turing. It was a long time ago, and I'm afraid my memory is not what it used to be. If I ever knew any more about her, I have forgotten. Although, I still have some connections within Parallax. Should I stumble over any information about your erstwhile sibling, I will pass it your way.
...thank you, Dr. Fairlight.

-What are you doing here?

It is quite a coincidence that we find ourselves here sharing a room, but such things happen from time to time. It's not so mysterious. It's up to us to seize opportunity when it appears. I am getting a bit on in years, and this chair you find me in is an advanced diagnostic and life support ROM. Its development is one of my hobbies, so to speak. It monitors my vitals and administers medications as necessary to keep my body stable. I likely would have perished long ago without it, or at least would have been severely bedridden. It requires frequent maintenance, and I am here at the hospital to have it serviced. Unfortunately, many critically injured patients were rushed into surgery all at once, and my appointment has been pushed back. The hospital administrators were concerned about me, thus they placed me here in a room with a quiet patient so I could continue my work while waiting. I do not think they expected you to wake quite as quickly as you did.

-How can you help?

Ah. Well, I can think of a few ways. I still have some contacts in Parallax, and can put out some quiet feelers. Maybe they will know something. Other than that, I'm not sure what I can do, but I'm wealthy and bored, so I'm sure I'll come up with something. Heh. Perhaps you can fill me in on the investigation a bit more so we can figure out how I can best help? What did you find at Hayden's apartment?
The first time we went, nothing. But when we went back to gather up his computer's data cache, the place had been pillaged, and the Human Revolution had spray-painted slogans all over the walls! Hayden's computer was gone, and we were assaulted! We're still frustratingly in the dark, and running out of time! I fear Hayden is slipping out of reach. I am failing him.
Hmm...I'm sorry to hear that.

-What do you want?

What do I want? Hmm...it would be nice to be young again and off exploring uncharted ruins, or taking a nice zero-G trip and seeing the world spin...but right now, with you two? I simply wish to help. I have the resources, and it sounds like our mutual friend is in trouble.
It has been very interesting speaking to you, Dr. Fairlight. Right, Mac?

-Turing, are you sure we can trust him?
-Turing, we should trust him.
-Turing, I don't think we should trust him.

Maybe there's a better place for this conversation than right in front of him?

I don't think we have any choice, Mac.
I understand your reluctance to involve me. I do hope I can earn your trust. Ah. I think I have a lead for you to follow up on, just off the top of my head. You said you found Human Revolution slogans spray painted on the walls? I am acquaintances with the man leading the current Human Revolution protests at the Genus clinic. His name is Brian Mulberry. After an introduction from me, he may be willing to shine some light on that particular event. If it was just some hotheaded youths from the organization, it should be an easy clean-up. If not, that's useful information in itself.

-How do you know this Brian Mulberry?

Ah. Well, when I exited Parallax after the merger, I sought out like-minded individuals to put pressure on the company, to avoid full deployment of the meshnet system. Brian Mulberry was one such person. We did not succeed in our efforts, but a high profile breach of Parallax's servers did force them to put vastly larger efforts into network security than they had planned. A great expenditure of resources I had been hoping to avoid.

-You're involved with the Human Revolution?

No, no...not in this lifetime, even if I so desired. I don't think they would approve much of my work. While Mr. Mulberry and I were associated with each other once, it was before he joined the Human Revolution. I find their methodology too aggressive and their stated goals dangerously backwards. While I pushed for careful deployment of technology after the Parallax/System One merger, I am no luddite. After all, I would likely be dead without the advanced medical and computing technology that goes into this chair here.

-Thank you for helping us out like this.

I will send a message downstairs to my assistant, Leon Dekker. He will hand you one of my cards to prove your association with me to Mr. Mulberry. Make sure you speak to him before you leave. In the meantime, I will get in touch with some other individuals I know and try to find out any other information about Hayden that I might be able to pass to you. I will be in contact. It was a pleasure meeting you both.

-We should get going, Turing.

Ah. Of course. Please do not let me delay you any further. Good luck, Turing. I do not thing Hayden's faith in you is misplaced. You are an impressive piece of technology.
Thank you, Dr. Fairlight. We'll be in touch. Should I call downstairs to have you discharged, Mac?

-Yes, please. Let's go.
-Not yet.

There's nothing interesting left to look at here, so let's bail.

Music: Neo-SF Medical

I can't believe you're still pulling the exact same poo poo you were years ago. This time it's truly unreal. Do you even realize how bad impersonating a police officer is? It's a felony, jackass. I should be slapping you in cuffs and dragging your sorry rear end off right now!
I'm sorry, Detective Rivers. The plan to lift your credentials and use them to access Hayden's apartment was entirely mine. Mac followed along only in protest. Also, I feel it necessary to mention that, though you are understandably upset, such language and imagery is beneath you as a respected officer of the law.
Great. The ROBOT did it, huh? I guess I'll just take you to jail then, Turing. That what you want? Don't try to shoulder the blame for them. I know they had to have lent you a hand. It isn't like you have the hardware to complete the act alone anyway, little ROM.
well, actually...Detective Rivers, I think I'll tell you the whole truth, since Mac trusts you. Keep it under your hat though, metaphorically. I am actually a prototype designed to be the first fully-sapient machine. I suspect my creation is the main reason for Hayden's disappearance, beyond his normal research for Parallax. My name is Turing.
Whew. That is a drat bigger problem than you first let on then, huh? The first machine sapient...people are gonna have things to say about that. You sure know how to get yourself dropped in the drink, Mac. What the hell am I supposed to do with the two of you? I...
I guess I'm letting you off the hook. This time, and only because I can let you get away with it safely. I don't think anyone will notice your manipulation of that NSFPD ROM, and I doubt anyone will notice I was apparently in two places at once. But...mostly I'm doing this because I think you're right.
Someone higher up in the department is trying to delay the investigation into Hayden's disappearance. I filled out the full report and was then informed in no uncertain terms that I was to wait the full 48 hours before opening up an official case. And that's AFTER the break-in and vandalization of his apartment was reported. It's not being squashed completely, so I don't think anyone's been bought, but...somebody definitely has some influence. Enough to buy themselves time by forcing me to follow protocol to a T. Not that I will, but I'm gonna have to keep things quiet. So stop messing around, Mac. There's certainly a story here, but if you keep bumbling around, you'll blow it. Just be careful, okay? I've got a bad feeling about this. I'd really rather you not be involved at all, but I know that isn't gonna happen at this point. I just have a hunch that people are gonna end up dead over this. I don't want you to be one of them. And I really don't want to be the one making that call to your sister. Please.

-I'm sorry, Lexi. I'll be careful, I promise.
-I can handle myself, Lexi. Don't mother me.

Yeah yeah, I know...just...here.

Take this, and use it if you have to.

-Thanks. I hope I won't need it.

Me too, Mac. I'll be in touch if I find anything out, but don't hold your breath. I have a feeling my superiors are gonna keep leaning on me to do nothing. Back to the grind, I guess. See you. Stay safe.

Between this zapper and the spoiled milk, we'll be truly unstoppable. Probably. Lexi leaves, letting us deal with everything else on this screen.

You'd best talk to the reception ROMs at the desk and officially check out before we go anywhere.

And by deal with everything else, I mean "gush over that adorable little roomba ROM."

It really seems to be trying to get a specific area spotless. You can't help but cheer the little ROM on, ya know?

It's Neo-SF's littlest hero!

It squirts a little cleaner and wipes your ID. All shiny!

Use SPOILED MILK on CLEANER ROM.

You balance it on the ROM's flat head. It seems aloof. The little ROM seems to be following you now. The ROM knows.

Point ZAPPER at CLEANER ROM.

You could seriously harm them. This isn't a toy. Seriously, that's dangerous. Are you trying to shoot them? Wait, for real? Are you really gonna shoot them?

-Yes, I wanna shoot.
-No, I'm just kidding.

Security: Freeze! Drop the weapon!
Mac! What have you done?!

Game over. This boots you back to the menu to reload a save. Don't shoot things for no reason! Let's just examine the Hassy vending machine instead of getting our asses arrested. Just imagine this jingle playing every line for the full experience.

Fun fact: Hassy is probably a reference to Illbleed, which featured Hassy as a a stamina-recovery item and in questionably work-safe advertisements.

I've read that a lot of people have switched over from their favorite colas and energy drinks to just Hassy. They have so much Hassy! Including Mango Hassy, Hassy Lite, Hassy Zero, Hassy Infinity, Salty Lassi Hassy, Berry Hassy, Super Large Hassy, and many more! The Hassy Crassy, HASSY-7, Hassy Omega, Hassle-Free Hassy, and Hassy Hemp are all exclusive to Hassy Machines. Can't find 'em anywhere else!
I wish I could have a Hassy...I wonder how my neurotransmitters would attempt to simulate the taste for me.
It's impressive how much Hassy gets consumed and how quickly it overtook all the major sodas in just a few years!
Is Hassy really that good...?
W-what? Of course it is. Hassy is always the best!

Having a bit of a beverage crisis there, Turing? Jesus christ.

Aaaaah! I hate that jingle!

-What's wrong, Turing?

I'm really confused!

-Just stay calm.
-We don't have time for this.

I feel as if...I don't totally understand my relationship with this drink. I'm not sure why it's affecting me so.

-You wanna talk about it?
-Hassy!

Yes, please...I thought I was in total control of my processes, but I seem to have some sort of pre-programmed affection for this sugary beverage. I've noticed it before, in other ROMs. The inexplicable desire to vouch for and promote Hassy to anyone who ever sees it or hears about it. Could it be that...all ROMs have an affinity for Hassy prebuilt on our core LIPS OS?! I could try removing that without messing with my core systems...should I?

-Yeah, get rid of that bloatware!
-Not worth the risk, Turing.

I agree. I don't want to not be in control of any part of myself. Ready?
Huh.

-Hassy?

No, thank you. Oh! Yes! It worked! Thank you for helping me through this!

Use SPOILED MILK on HASSY MACHINE.

Are you trying to sabotage Hassy?

To be fair, it deserves it. But enough of this, let's get ourselves discharged.

Receptionist: My records indicate that you have been admitted for possible cranial trauma and should be confined to your bed. While I am truly delighted to see you have regained consciousness, I must insist that you return to your room to be examined by a medical profesional immediately.

-No need. Accidentally zapped myself with my own stunner.
-Just run the paperwork for my release.
-Listen here, you bucket of bolts. I'm leaving, and that's that.

Receptionist: I must insist that you remain for treatment. A doctor has not determined the full extent of your injuries, and you may have lasting damage to your nervous system.

There's clearly no lasting harm that could have been done by a powerful electric field loving up our brain. Clearly.

-I insist.
-Just give me the damned paperwork.

Receptionist: Very well, Patient Mac. I am prohibited by law from detaining you here against your will. But, you should note in your release paperwork that willful early termination of medical services releases this hospital, and its parent company, from legal liability should your condition persist or worsen outside our care. I am further required to inform you that this visit has expended the last of your year's governmentally mandated health credits. You will be required to provide payment or proof of private insurance for any further visits for routine or emergency medical care. Please take care to fill all forms out thoroughly and accurately, and have a nice day.

Your medical billing makes me glad I'm synthetic. You should look for more paying journalism work before you get shot at again.

Pfft, there's only 10 days left in the year, what's the worst that could happen? Anyway, let's figure out where Leon Dekker is.

He gets a portrait on mouseover, so I'm guessing it's him.

Hn. You must be Mac. The name's Leon Dekker. Fairlight messaged ahead that I needed to pass one of his cards on to you. Here.

Hope the old man didn't ramble much. Not that I mind. Hn. Hopefully he'll go soon and put me in his will. Hahaha! Just kidding.

-Mind if I ask you a few questions?
-Thanks for the help, Leon. We'll be in touch.

I want a "what sound is 'hn' supposed to be" option, but this'll do.

Hn! Fairlight warned me about you...gonna turn that keen journo mind on me and pry out all my secrets, huh? Well, alright. Gimme your best shot, Mac.

-What kind of work do you do for Dr. Fairlight?

Oh, mostly just gofer work, to be honest. I was looking for a bodyguard gig when I got out of the military, you know. Something easy and lucrative, and Fairlight had a posting for someone with my skills. Turns out old tech tycoons don't really need that much guarding. Hn. So I spend most of my time fetching and carrying and giving his pet charity cases a hand here and there. Seems like you're his newest one. Hn. It isn't what I was looking for, but hey, it beats being shot at.

-Why do you think Fairlight is helping us?

The old codger has gone soft in his age and infirmity. From what I've heard, back in his System One days he would have tossed you out on your rear end. But now he's all about charity and baby-kissing. I guess he wants to leave a better mark on the world than having headed a really large company that merged with an even larger company. I nearly got him to name an orphanage after me. Maybe for christmas. Hahaha!

-What's your story?

There isn't much to tell, my nosy new friend. I grew up down in LA, I joined up with the military as soon as I was of age, spent way too much time dispensing freedom at the end of a gun, and earned me some ribbons. Now I work for a dinosaur with a charity complex. Things could have been worse. My whole platoon caugh dengue fever once. I managed to dodge that one. Hn.

-Thank you, Leon.

Hn. No problem, Mac. But...call me Dekker, yeah? I'll be around, if you know where to look.

Well, we're free to leave. Why not head back home first, yes? I'm sure you'd like the chance to shower at least. For such a clean place, it sure seems to have left you feeling foul.

Or maybe it's just the spoiled milk rubbing off on us. Next time: Hitting the pavement again. Hopefully not literally.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

That's not how you spell reckless! :argh:

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

I helped kickstart this game when it was being developed, and only recently got round to starting it. I agree that the dialogue can get pretty drat lengthy at times - it reminds me most of a Phoenix Wright game in that respect. I've been really enjoying it so far, though - the aesthetic and the soundtrack really do a lot for me. (Also ALPHiE is the best character.)

A note about the different drinks and cocktails - a lot of them were created by Kickstarter backers, hence some of the weird names and odd combinations. Apparently a lot of them taste pretty good, though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'm laying 3:2 odds that Dr. Fairlight is going to turn out to be the mastermind behind everything. It's not that he's dropped hints or anything, but he's the first kind old man we've seen and in noir (or any of its descendants) that's a pretty big warning sign all on its own.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Man imagine a noir story where literally everyone was completely hostile. Then the protagonist dies, because everyone's got their best interests at heart, so they let their guard down and are subsequently shanked by the villain, some dude they bumped into at the bus station in the first three pages.

Quillpaw
Sep 2, 2011

Aight, game on!
Ah, I'm so excited to see this game getting an LP, and by Haifisch too! You did a fantastic job covering Ghost Trick, so I'm looking forward to this. :allears:

I went into this game not knowing what to expect of it, other than that it was some sort of old-school cyberpunk point-and-click thing. At some point I found myself wondering if I'd ended up playing some kind of obtuse dating sim disguised as a cyberpunk text adventure (I was a little disappointed that I was wrong, actually). For all the things people dislike about the game- and understandably so, it really is not everyone's cup of social justice flavored tea- I LOVE it. I love the story (tropey as it is), I love the setting, I love the music, I love the art style, I love the characters (probably for all the reasons most people don't)....I just love this game.

On a more relevant note...I had no idea you could deprogram the Hassy out of Turing. I just sort of accepted that I was going to have to deal with my little buddy going weird on me every time I decided to purchase a delicious, refreshing Hassy beverage.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Quillpaw posted:

On a more relevant note...I had no idea you could deprogram the Hassy out of Turing. I just sort of accepted that I was going to have to deal with my little buddy going weird on me every time I decided to purchase a delicious, refreshing Hassy beverage.
There's a lot of neat little scenes like this if you take the time to do every single action on everything until it starts repeating flavor text. Unfortunately, the point-and-click action set up & sheer volume of stuff to interact with makes this a bit tedious. It's a small blessing that the game tapers off the number of interactions per screen later on, and I'm not just saying that because I have to screencap and type everything. :v:

Gertrude Perkins posted:

A note about the different drinks and cocktails - a lot of them were created by Kickstarter backers, hence some of the weird names and odd combinations. Apparently a lot of them taste pretty good, though.
Oh, so that's why there's so many of them. Makes more sense than the devs going out of their way to make a giant drink menu most players will skim over.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 4, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Haifisch posted:

There's a lot of neat little scenes like this if you take the time to do every single action on everything until it starts repeating flavor text. Unfortunately, the point-and-click action set up & sheer volume of stuff to interact with makes this a bit tedious. It's a small blessing that the game tapers off the number of interactions per screen later on, and I'm not just saying that because I have to screencap and type everything. :v:

You can keyboard-only control the game, and arrow keys will pretty conveniently move through every clickable area on the screen. That removes the hassle of pixel-hunting, or clicking on something repeatedly.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

StrixNebulosa posted:

You can keyboard-only control the game, and arrow keys will pretty conveniently move through every clickable area on the screen. That removes the hassle of pixel-hunting, or clicking on something repeatedly.

Yeah, ditto if you plug in a gamepad. I played 80% of the game with a gamepad and it made things so much easier. You can sometimes even select things offscreen!

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
There is only one thing I think about when I hear about Hassy drinks.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Glaive17 posted:

There is only one thing I think about when I hear about Hassy drinks.

The same dev that made Blue Stinger also did Illbleed so I guess it's a dev thing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Quillpaw posted:

I went into this game not knowing what to expect of it, other than that it was some sort of old-school cyberpunk point-and-click thing.
This looks about as far from cyberpunk as you can get if you still want to have robots.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

anilEhilated posted:

This looks about as far from cyberpunk as you can get if you still want to have robots.

I always loved the description of cyberpunk as "when people literally internalize capitalism". The poor get poorer, the rich get richer, and now they have robot dogs and laser eyes.

Quillpaw
Sep 2, 2011

Aight, game on!

anilEhilated posted:

More accurately I went in wondering how badly this game was trying to be Snatcher.

I'm still not completely sure of the answer, come to think of it.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

mycot posted:

I always loved the description of cyberpunk as "when people literally internalize capitalism". The poor get poorer, the rich get richer, and now they have robot dogs and laser eyes.

anilEhilated posted:

I've read some interesting analyses regarding how the state of the world affects popular fiction. Like, when the economy is good and the rich are seen as job creators and pillars of the economy, we get fantasy movies where dragons are noble and benevolent yet aloof creatures that occasionally come down to dispense wisdom to the charming meat nuggets wandering the plains; when things aren't so great and the rich are viewed as out-of-touch misers hoarding money while children starve, dragons are villainous, greedy monsters who'd rather eat us than talk to us, if they're even intelligent enough to be more than a particularly vicious animal to begin with. Or, more relevant to this game, science fiction is almost always "the present, but moreso." During times of plenty we get things like Star Trek, a philosophical examination of exploration and broadening horizons in a post-scarcity world. In times more like we're in right now, people go for cyberpunk, where the poor live in squalor and every day is a struggle to survive, and most of the really out-there self-modifications are rooted in that need for survival, while the rich live in ivory towers and gorge themselves on such unheard of delicacies as "fresh fruit" and "meat from an actual livestock animal and not just the rats you caught this morning."

ROM seems like it's trying to hit someplace in the middle; nothing's actually gotten better or worse, but now people are augmenting themselves with whale DNA so they can make a career studying sea life on the abyssal plain.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Beverage promotion through ROMs? Insidious. Especially since you can pretty easily write it off as an attempt to have a relatable quirk.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, relatable. Am I the only one thinking Turing is more annoying than anything else? The whole design just screems I'M CUTE LOVE ME LOVE ME OR ELSE.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I bought this and liked it a lot but it didn't end up feeling properly fleshed out, but it was a moderately funded Kickstarter project so hey there you go. There's a lot of fun ideas and stuff but the game doesn't go very far with many of them. It kinda feels like the fully realized version of the game would've been probably another 4-5 hours longer to hit some characters/sideplots/gameplay elements more than once.

It'll go on and on about various bits of philosophy or some of the more complicated questions about sentient life and so forth but it kinda just scratches the surface of its world. This game is an homage to a ton of games and movies and stuff like that but its biggest influence has to be Snatcher (which is incidentally one of my favorite games of all time).

The thing is though is that while in Snatcher people will talk a lot about silly poo poo like your high-tech sofas and toilets and stuff Kojima put in a shitload of backstory/world building into the totally optional computer database you can look at if you want to really understand what's going on in the world locally and at large. Here Turing will kinda endlessly spiel about everything if you like or not but most of it is kinda fluff.

I think that's Turing's character though- he's intentionally kind of annoying because he's a newly sentient robot trying to learn how to be a social creature and meeting other people for the first time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

A good rule of filmmaking is to not write intentionally annoying characters because they will annoy people

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Turing's not intentionally annoying, he's "intentionally" cute (in the sense that he was intended to be cute, not that he indisputably is so). It's just that "cute" is subjective, same as humor, and Turing hits that sweet spot where if he works for you, great, someone make a plush toy of the little bugger, but if he doesn't work for you, he seems like he's laying it on real thick.

Me, I thought he was adorable, for the most part.

A good rule of filmmaking is to not write intentionally annoying characters because they will annoy people

This doesn't apply if your target audience is children, since at least 70% of all children love annoying characters and the merchandising will have you on the gravy train until the heat death of the universe. Or until you're murdered by a horde of parents who just can't take it anymore, whichever comes first.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Dr. Buttass posted:

Turing's not intentionally annoying, he's "intentionally" cute (in the sense that he was intended to be cute, not that he indisputably is so). It's just that "cute" is subjective, same as humor, and Turing hits that sweet spot where if he works for you, great, someone make a plush toy of the little bugger, but if he doesn't work for you, he seems like he's laying it on real thick.

Me, I thought he was adorable, for the most part.

Yeah, this. I thought Turing was cute, too, but I can see where someone might find him annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What are those lines under Lexi's eyes?

• Locked thread