Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Upon death in a JRPG:
Game Over
Return to last town/save point
View Results

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

in Persona 4: Golden they added a new lower difficulty setting that, if you died, you could continue the battle with everyoen back at full health, and you gain xp and money at 5x the original rate. lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

in Persona 4: Golden they added a new lower difficulty setting that, if you died, you could continue the battle with everyoen back at full health, and you gain xp and money at 5x the original rate. lol.

phoenix mode

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Antillese posted:

Hubris can't be that smart of a word since you figured out what it means.

So in conclusion, I guess perma-death is the best death?

embarrassing for you to not take your schooling with some dignity :ughh:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Antillese posted:

Yeah, JRPGs kind of are dying (much like the planet Cloud!). The hubris of the PS2 era really bit the big developers in the rear end in the HD era. That's why we saw JRPGs either shift to more compact experiences or die under the crush of feature creep like the Final Fantasy series. I mean, Persona skipped a generation and Xenoblade is really much more modern open world design.

At least that's what I was planning on posting when I saw the thread title. Then I read the thread and realized it wasn't what the thread was about.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

what do u mean by the hubris of the ps2 era?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

• Final Fantasy XV
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Persona 5
  • Ni no Kuni 2
  • Nier 2
  • SMT IV: Apocalypse
  • DQ VII & VIII 3ds ports

GameProSean: Da JRPGs dyin' cloud! Ahem, but seriously it's due to uh.. hubris.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

what do u mean by the hubris of the ps2 era?

at first i thought he was talking about the budgets and graphical expectations for big triple a games extending dev times and game costs. but then at the end he's saying an open world game like xenoblade is an example of Not that? So I don't know sorry

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i really liked how smt4 had very hard/decisive battles where either side could be wiped in a turn or two, but let you save and reload as much as you wanted.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

i really liked how smt4 had very hard/decisive battles where either side could be wiped in a turn or two, but let you save and reload as much as you wanted.

smt4 is full of incredibly good little design choices like that. i love it

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

no they will not posted:

smt4 is incredibly good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The one thing I'm not really a fan of in SMT is the randomness of demon recruitment, but there's stuff in IV with the apps that helps make that easier if you want

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

• Final Fantasy XV
  • Dragon Quest XI
  • Persona 5
  • Ni no Kuni 2
  • Nier 2
  • SMT IV: Apocalypse
  • DQ VII & VIII 3ds ports

GameProSean: Da JRPGs dyin' cloud! Ahem, but seriously it's due to uh.. hubris.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359870/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

we did it every, every single FF is on PC, even if half of them are crappy mobile ports.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The last star ocean I played was 2. Does 5 look promising? Someone told me you have to control 8 characters or something

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i haven't played a good rear end jrpg in a while

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

In Training posted:

we did it every, every single FF is on PC, even if half of them are crappy mobile ports.

what about XII

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

no they will not posted:

what about XII

every, every single FF

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

we did it reddit

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

The one thing I'm not really a fan of in SMT is the randomness of demon recruitment, but there's stuff in IV with the apps that helps make that easier if you want

its random, but theres a trick to it.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

its random, but theres a trick to it.

the trick is to guess the right number

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

no they will not posted:

what about XII

I'm not a fan of MMOs so I haven't played it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

Uhh dark souls III?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

yyou should

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

no they will not posted:

speaking of indie rpgs i liked the way lisa the painful rpg handled saves/deaths in painful mode [Single use save points]

LISA

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Holy poo poo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Antillese posted:

Yeah, JRPGs kind of are dying (much like the planet Cloud!). The hubris of the PS2 era really bit the big developers in the rear end in the HD era. That's why we saw JRPGs either shift to more compact experiences or die under the crush of feature creep like the Final Fantasy series. I mean, Persona skipped a generation and Xenoblade is really much more modern open world design.

At least that's what I was planning on posting when I saw the thread title. Then I read the thread and realized it wasn't what the thread was about.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFNZ0MMwdx_/

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

no they will not posted:

speaking of indie rpgs i liked the way lisa the painful rpg handled saves/deaths in painful mode [Single use save points]

you get asked at the start of the game if you want pain mode and the default option is Yes, got owned for mashing the A button hard and thought it was just part of the brutality of the rpg

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bobnumerotres posted:

you get asked at the start of the game if you want pain mode and the default option is Yes, got owned for mashing the A button hard and thought it was just part of the brutality of the rpg

I had to restart the game because of that lol

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

no they will not posted:

I haven't got a game over yet so I dont know what'll happen if that happens

Update it's game over baby.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

no they will not posted:

Update it's game over baby.

Condolences

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW3O51c3kdE

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to make an effort to play more JRPGs.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

trying to jack off posted:

the trick is to guess the right number

But there are so many numbers!

Soral
May 30, 2009

i think pokemon does it perfect

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Soral posted:

i think pokemon does it perfect

Pokemon does the same thing as dragon quest. Though recently I think you lose less than half of your money for whiting out.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
game over screens are abn important part of history. every game should have one

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

im ok wth returning you to the last town or somethng if it comes with a big penalty like DQ or wth being able to dodge the game over screen like SMT4 but dying should have a penalty imo. oonly exception is games whre killing one guy kills your whole team because that's fuckin trash

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Its good to fail sometimes, to keep you humble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
the best death system is when the game over screen asks if you want to lower the difficulty, especially if it waits until a few deaths deep when you've just about got the fight down

• Locked thread