Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Imagine how smug Lastrade would be if he had had to come to the rescue of Holmes who had managed locked himself into a room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Starting to get suspicious about some potential motives here!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Oh hey, I love me some Sherlock videogaming. I've played every Holmes based game I've gotten my hands on, and I can think of maybe two that could be unironically recommended. This is unfortunately not one of them.

If anyone has a hankering for some more Sherlock fanfic, here's a fine BBC radio play about a book that someone actually wrote and managed to get printed: Sherlock Holmes Vs. Dracula

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TX4rvB6mIs

This features Dracula as a nemesis of Holmes comparable to Dr. Moriarty himself. Also Watson as a Man Of Science who categorically refuses to accept the existence of vampires as the evidence to the contrary continues to pile up.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
"Collins bungalow murder". Hmm. Any relation to the Penge bungalow murders of legal fame, some 70 years hence?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

In this episode, Holmes & Watson follow up on the latest leads concerning Sarah's sister, Anna, as well as finding out who her mysterious admirer is. We see several new locations in this video including a couple that we knew about early on. We also speak to a variety of new people, for some reason the people who play rugby in this game are very short-tempered.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Given that this game has regrettably leaned on the "Watson's a moron" portrayal, having him be the one to suggest distracting the manager was nice. The original Watson was much more capable than the one in most adaptations.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Watson's also smart enough to pack his Webley into his coat when he gallivants with Holmes, what with him being former military and all.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

Gnoman posted:

Given that this game has regrettably leaned on the "Watson's a moron" portrayal, having him be the one to suggest distracting the manager was nice. The original Watson was much more capable than the one in most adaptations.

Watson was definitely more capable in the books. But this is an adventure game, he may seem like a moron compared to them and other adaptations but I'd say that he's been reduced to more of a pleasantly agreeable sidekick.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Gnoman posted:

Watson's in an odd position here. They're going for the Nigel Bruce "dumber than the audience" comic relief but at the same time they've made him the hint mechanism. So he has to be somewhat intelligent, which allows the dialogue writers to give him some of his intelligence and wit back. Pity about the revolver, too - in the books he's a thoroughly capable army veteran and you can believe he's done surgery under fire. If Conan-Doyle had written this there'd have been no comic relief barrel blundering and Blackwell would have had a Webley shoved under his nose sharpish.

Poor Dr Watson. Given the shaft by one portrayal and it becomes iconic.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Part of the problem is that in the books everything is written from Watson's perspective and in the adaptations it's usually all about Holmes.

Watson was an assistant surgeon in the army and only left because he was seriously wounded in the line of duty. He is intelligent, articulate, courageous and has a very good eye for details that only seems to be surpassed by Holmes himself.

It's just unfortunate that when it comes to adaptations he seems to be reduced to sidekick status.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Exactly. He's not up to Holmes's standard as an investigator, but he's no slouch - he does much of the work in The Hound Of The Baskervilles, with Holmes showing up late to piece everything together. He's not as freakishly strong as Holmes, but he's good in a fight, and he's indispensable when dealing with thing that Holmes views as beneath his notice.

I always liked Watson, so losing that in the adaptations was always quite irritating.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
If you want an inversion of this you could always play Infocom's Sherlock Holmes game (The Riddle of the Crown Jewels) where Watson is the player character. Early in the game Holmes realizes that the mystery is a deliberate attempt to lure him in and suggests that Watson lead the investigation in order to throw their unknown adversary (spoilers: it's Moriarty) off the scent.

EDIT: This basically reduced Holmes to following the player around and tossing off random lines of dialogue, like Floyd but with less personality, which was actually one of the main criticisms of the game among IF players.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 24, 2020

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

StoryTime posted:

Oh hey, I love me some Sherlock videogaming. I've played every Holmes based game I've gotten my hands on, and I can think of maybe two that could be unironically recommended. This is unfortunately not one of them.

If anyone has a hankering for some more Sherlock fanfic, here's a fine BBC radio play about a book that someone actually wrote and managed to get printed: Sherlock Holmes Vs. Dracula

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TX4rvB6mIs

This features Dracula as a nemesis of Holmes comparable to Dr. Moriarty himself. Also Watson as a Man Of Science who categorically refuses to accept the existence of vampires as the evidence to the contrary continues to pile up.

How about an effective prequel of Sherlock Holmes on his brother Mycroft? Written by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, yes that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. It's also a critique on British imperialism and is apparently very good.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Holmes and Watson go to the local pool hall, have a pint, bribe some of the regulars and entice a small child at the park with the promise of a toy. We are getting ever closer to Anna, even though we're almost at her doorstep it seems like the rigmarole is far from over.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Seyser Koze posted:

If you want an inversion of this you could always play Infocom's Sherlock Holmes game (The Riddle of the Crown Jewels) where Watson is the player character. Early in the game Holmes realizes that the mystery is a deliberate attempt to lure him in and suggests that Watson lead the investigation in order to throw their unknown adversary (spoilers: it's Moriarty) off the scent.

EDIT: This basically reduced Holmes to following the player around and tossing off random lines of dialogue, like Floyd but with less personality, which was actually one of the main criticisms of the game among IF players.

That's a shame, because making the player character Watson should allow Holmes to run around being an inscrutable jackass pulling murderers out of thin air. You know, how he should be portrayed.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Just an FYI, almost all of the Sherlock Holmes games on Steam are on sale right now. The Frogwares titles, apart from Crimes & Punishments, are 75% off. The remastered Consulting Detective Volume I is also available at 15% off, you can buy the three episodes individually or as a set. I have the original three volumes of the Consulting Detective series but I've never played them, I was going to buy the remastered volume I for the LP any way but I snapped it up as soon as I saw the discount. I've poked around the first episode a little, it's going to be an interesting series to LP.

Even though I've come down with a bad cold I'm going to try to finish recording The Serrated Scalpel today as I have plenty of free time and no energy to go anywhere.

FoolyCharged posted:

That's a shame, because making the player character Watson should allow Holmes to run around being an inscrutable jackass pulling murderers out of thin air. You know, how he should be portrayed.

A game where you play as Watson would be interesting. Maybe it could focus on their conversations at 221B Baker Street, Watson is eating his toast and picking at Holmes mind while he's shooting up cocaine.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Instead of trying to logically figure anything out with the information at hand I'm going to wildly guess based on random last second reveals I've seen in other mysteries that we're either dealing with simple professional jealousy (perhaps by Anne herself but also perhaps her suitors/sponsors) of Sarah OR some kind of a double life on Sarah/Anna's part since they both vanished at the same time unless I'm not remembering something.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Instead of trying to logically figure anything out with the information at hand I'm going to wildly guess based on random last second reveals I've seen in other mysteries that we're either dealing with simple professional jealousy (perhaps by Anne herself but also perhaps her suitors/sponsors) of Sarah OR some kind of a double life on Sarah/Anna's part since they both vanished at the same time unless I'm not remembering something.

You shall have some answers on Monday when I upload the next video, there's going to be some big plot reveals happening. I've recorded two videos and I will be doing a third soon. This game should be wrapped up in the fourth.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Holmes & Watson visit Anna's house, visit Mr. Blackwood in prison and then visit a lawyer's office. I'm not going to say anything more as there is a lot of plot reveals in this video.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's a lot of locations you only seem to visit once. Oldschool adventure design at its worst - you naturally never know if you shouldn't have come back for a puzzle piece at any point.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So he's never murdered anyone before but as soon as a victim did something as unexpected as scream his training took over and he killed them on the spot? I must have gotten that wrong.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

He only meant to stab her a little, but once he cut her he couldn't stop himself from going for the arteries from habit.

Seems legit.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I suppose we can't blame him. Slashing people with a knife is the best way to make them stop screaming afterall.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

What was his training again?

I suppose I'll have to think up another wild theory.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Holmes & Watson try to track down the pendant and then spend a lovely afternoon at the zoo with Chloe the elephant.

anilEhilated posted:

That's a lot of locations you only seem to visit once. Oldschool adventure design at its worst - you naturally never know if you shouldn't have come back for a puzzle piece at any point.

With the exception of Baker Street and the Scotland Yard\Morgue situation, there's only a handful of other locations that require revisiting a second time after you've done what you've needed to do initially. We've already paid a second visit to the alley/theatre, there's a location in this update that we revisit twice and there will be another location that we return too in the final video. Caruso's flat was an optional revisit and so will be another location in the final video. I'm using a guide though, I'm sure a blind through would ensure several visits to locations if/when you hit a wall.

Poil posted:

So he's never murdered anyone before but as soon as a victim did something as unexpected as scream his training took over and he killed them on the spot? I must have gotten that wrong.

This bit through me too. He claims to be experienced in these kind of jobs and is known for being a hired goon for the upper class, but the first moment of panic in this situation and he straight-up murders Sarah and then butchers her body.

Gnoman posted:

He only meant to stab her a little, but once he cut her he couldn't stop himself from going for the arteries from habit.

Seems legit.

Kibayasu posted:

What was his training again?

I suppose I'll have to think up another wild theory.

He is trained in taxidermy and we found a serrated scalpel in his workshop. I'm not sure what part of his training involved the butchery of the human anatomy though.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Watson taking time out of the case to chide Holmes for poor houskeeping was pretty funny.

The head zoo guy sounded a lot like "Mr Zoo" from GTA: Vice City.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Holmes & Watson engage in a bit of vandalism and safe cracking. This is the penultimate episode and a lot happens within it, including two cutscenes chock full of action and drama! (Well, as much as you could probably imagine in a slow-paced and pixellated adventure game.)

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I guess an issue I've always had with Sherlock Holmes stuff is that you don't really get too much time with the cast of characters, so there's not as much emotion if someone meets their end. Fantastic LP though! I don't normally watch VLPs but I'm a sucker for mysteries. :)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the final episode of this game. I'm sure that you all have an inkling of what's going to happen.

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo is up next. I've already recorded the first episode and it's already off to an interesting start.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm sure you'll all note that the kid still had the gyroscope at the end.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nice work getting to the end. I really liked the little video windows when people talked, especially Dr Watson for some reason.

Interesting trap set up. Too bad looking through a window wasn't an option. Also I managed to totally misread the title of the next game as The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Risotto.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This felt less like a 'tangled web of mystery' and more like a chronicle of an expanding tragedy that grew more and more complicated due to the incompetence of the police and Holmes' repeated failures to solve it early enough. He also comes off looking extremely like a haughty upper-class twit who just buys his way into clues, is really eager to break the law or abuse his authority, and is an arrogant rear end to nearly everyone he knows. Yes, some of that's in the original stories, but the repetition of it here makes those aspects seem more severe as they are practically his only defining traits.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

It was a pretty plausible account of "simple crime spiraling way out of control". A simple "recover the only evidence to my dirty little secret" job winding up with seven people dead (Sarah, the two detectives, both Brunwells, and probably both of the people arrested]) makes sense.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

SIGSEGV posted:

I'm sure you'll all note that the kid still had the gyroscope at the end.

It's the least that we could do after the death of his father and (step-)mother(?) and finding out about his real mother.

Poil posted:

Nice work getting to the end. I really liked the little video windows when people talked, especially Dr Watson for some reason.

Interesting trap set up. Too bad looking through a window wasn't an option. Also I managed to totally misread the title of the next game as The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Risotto.

Just wait until we get too The Mystery of the Minestrone.

Kangra posted:

This felt less like a 'tangled web of mystery' and more like a chronicle of an expanding tragedy that grew more and more complicated due to the incompetence of the police and Holmes' repeated failures to solve it early enough. He also comes off looking extremely like a haughty upper-class twit who just buys his way into clues, is really eager to break the law or abuse his authority, and is an arrogant rear end to nearly everyone he knows. Yes, some of that's in the original stories, but the repetition of it here makes those aspects seem more severe as they are practically his only defining traits.

I'm nearing the end of The Sign Of The Four again. One of the things I noticed from the first two novels is that Holmes pretty much cracks the case from the initial inspection of the crime scene and even plucks a couple of names out of nowhere too. Granted I'm only two stories in so this may change as time goes on. My last attempt at reading the collected stories ended with getting as far as The Five Orange Pips and that was some years ago.

But unfortunately, we're in adventure game territory and extending game time for "reasons" just comes with the territory. As discussed with Watson's dumbing down before, the artistic license is used to full effect. Adaptations are always going to be inferior in different ways and from what I've read, it's no surprise that Holmes has been interpreted and portrayed in some extremely different ways. From what I've read so far, Holmes doesn't really come across as arrogant to me and he isn't afraid to give a few shillings away when it comes to gathering some information.

Gnoman posted:

It was a pretty plausible account of "simple crime spiraling way out of control". A simple "recover the only evidence to my dirty little secret" job winding up with seven people dead (Sarah, the two detectives, both Brunwells, and probably both of the people arrested]) makes sense.

Only three of those were murdered, one was suicide and another was from apoplexy. Two more will be possible executed.

We're off to a good start with the body count. Do we call it three or five? There are only twelve more games left to go, three of those are composed of three cases each.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Only three of those were murdered, one was suicide and another was from apoplexy. Two more will be possible executed.

We're off to a good start with the body count. Do we call it three or five? There are only twelve more games left to go, three of those are composed of three cases each.

(Spoilering because it's so close to the video posts that you could easily read it before watching)

Only the apoplexy had any real chance to occur without the crime. Brunswell suicided because of the disgrace and horror, while the two criminals wouldn't have risked executed without being connected to multiple homicide,

As for the larger discussion, Homes does come off as arrogant in several of the short stories, primarily because they are so condensed. The novels give enough time for deduction on a reasonable scale, and for others to actually participate.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Gnoman posted:

(Spoilering because it's so close to the video posts that you could easily read it before watching)

Only the apoplexy had any real chance to occur without the crime. Brunswell suicided because of the disgrace and horror, while the two criminals wouldn't have risked executed without being connected to multiple homicide,

As for the larger discussion, Homes does come off as arrogant in several of the short stories, primarily because they are so condensed. The novels give enough time for deduction on a reasonable scale, and for others to actually participate.

Apoplexy is an old term that used to refer to a heart attack, stroke or numerous other sudden death syndromes that happened before the 20th century. Even though it happened not long after the revelations and suicide, it's a clear sign that she wasn't in the best condition beforehand but the extreme stress of the situation most likely was the final straw. We will keep the body count at the maximum level. I'll start the next game tomorrow, hopefully it'll just be a tawdry affair involving a tacky tattoo and a compensation claim.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well, that was a fair bit simpler than I was expecting. Just plain old villains, ego, and scheme riddled with sunk cost.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Let's Play - The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo

"There is nefarious business afoot, Holmes, if only you had the wit to see it."

So Dr. Watson chided me one chill evening in October, 1889. His stinging criticism was not undeserved. I had been, Iet us say, slow to perceive the dastardly crime that his efforts had begun to unearth. Not for the for time, my friend and colleague pointed me in the right direction. My muddle-headedness was understandable, of course, but only barely excusable. I had been rattling around our rooms for nearly a week. inactivity fueled contentiousness and fouled the air like a sulphurous fog. Just before things turned nasty, we received a summons from my brother, Mycroft. He asked us to the Diogenes Club for a consultation. Grateful for the diversion, we took off for Pall Mall...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Neat a Watson-centric game. But the animations are kinda skipping frames (understandable given the time period) and some of the characters have butterfeet which is really annoying. Still looks like it's going to be fun and interesting though. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm already digging Holmes' voice acting in this one, he sounds like an utter twit. Watson, on the other hand, feels just boring.

e: I think "persiflage" is my new favorite word ever.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 5, 2020