Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The eggs are somewhere nearby. I can feel them like a rot in the fabric of this place. Destroy them!!

Looking now at Ander, the half-dragon's eyes go wide in recognition.

"You! So you survived. I don't know whether to be disappointed or pleased. We will settle this duel once and for all. Then I will skin your wordy friend. Consider it a deal."

The half dragon draws his massive sword and charges at Ander. You all get a weird sense of deja-vu. Ander blocks the first blow, but the second nearly knocks him to his knees.

jared init: 1d20+2 7
lang, frulam, cultist, guard, dragonclaw inits: 1d20+1 14 1d20 5 1d20+2 11 1d20+1 7 1d20+3 7
(Init orders are tweaked a bit to fit the narrative.)
Lang vs Ander, 2 greatsword attacks: 2#1d20+6 9 25 2#2d6+4 10 10.
The cultist is readying a Hold Person for anyone who tries to interrupt the duel.

:s: AC17 57HP :c: (ready action: hold person)
:rolldice: 27/29 (blessed) 24/27 dodging
:rolldice: (blessed) 21/24
:rolldice: 13/38 (giant spider) 11/26 (blessed)
x2 :c:

Everyone is up. If you interfere with the duel you'll probably get a Hold Person fired at you. If you just want to watch that's fine.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Oh yeah, he crits on 19 and 20. Here's some bonus crit damage for Ander: crit damage: 2d6 3.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ander Basha
HP 11/26(2HD)|AC 17|Daily healing remaining:0|Javelin/Arrows remaining: 8/39| Spells:0

Ander smiles as he takes the hit, almost crazed.

"Is that all? Is that all the strength your god gives you?"
Bonus Action: Hunters Mark

"MY GOD HAS SEEN ME THROUGH MY MANY TRIALS! MY FAITH IS REWARDED!"

quote:

<Dawnfiend> If you get to make an attack you can just assume you have the portent whenever you want it
<Dawnfiend> For the 20
<Dawnfiend> In case I am not around when it goes down
Smiting
Critical Hit: 4d6+4d8+2d6+3 54
Reroll 1s: 2d6 5+10 power attacking
67 damage

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 16, 2014

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

24 HP // 20 AC
pre:
Portent 20 given to Ander.
It had taken all of his composure to not give away the surprise during the moments leading up to it: for he had foreseen this moment in time hours ago, a brief flash of insight into the future gifted to him during breakfast. He finally cracks a smirk, commenting wryly to the catastrophically damaged half-dragon, "I probably should have mentioned: the outcome of this duel was already decided. Farewell, Langdedrosa."
Portent (Day 5): 20 / 1

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The half-dragon's head flies off at such velocity that it smashes into the nearby shrine of tiamat, staining it with thick draconic blood.

"Well, look at the time. Congratulations. We'll just be leaving..."

"BLASPHEMY! SLAY THEM!!"

"For Tiamat!!""

:c: (ready action: hold person)
11/26 (blessed)
:rolldice: 27/29 (blessed) 24/27 dodging
:rolldice: (blessed) 21/24
:rolldice: 13/38 (giant spider)
x2 :c:

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

24 HP // 20 AC
With the duel officially over, he charges the man who had readied himself to magically protect it from interruption, commenting, "I think it's time you put that away, don't you?" Drawing his blade as he moves, he begins carving through the man, piece by piece.
pre:
Move:    AI-35 > AG-39 (20')
Action:  Attack vs. AG-40
          - Hit:  16
          - Damage:  9

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Janelle
Nel subtly taps Jared on the shoulder, points at the enemy spellcaster, then slashes the air. If the entertainer could hit him with one of those rays before he cast his spell, it could be disrupted. That might save Zed some grief.

Meanwhile, she had her own avenging to do. Linan's life was snuffed out on the orders of some invisible commander hiding behind an army of henchmen, with champions dueling and cowards dealing to pointlessly pad and protect their egos. Nel would show Frulam how it felt when the roles were changed.

She skitters behind a stone pillar and returns to human form, back up against the cover while she strikes an flint to an oily steel. Knowing her enemies would expect a white spider to come back into vision on the other side of the occlusion, she doubles back around it in an instant and points at her armored target accusingly, meeting her gaze and intoning in Druidic, "Roast in your shell."

There would be no running from this reckoning.
Heat Metal Damage: 2d8 16
:flame:
30/30 HP; 17 AC; 3d8 HD; 1/4, 0/2 Spells; Entangle, Goodberry, Thunderwave; Heat Metal, Pass Without Trace; 9/10 Healkit; 1/2 Wildshapes;
PP 20, PI 17
Ending up hiding behind the total cover of the pillar.

Heat Metal posted:

Choose a manufactured metal object, such as a metal weapon or a suit of heavy or medium metal armor, that you can see within range. You cause the object to glow red-hot. Any creature in physical contact with the object takes 2d8 fire damage when you cast the spell. Until the spell ends, you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage again. If a creature is holding or wearing the object and takes the damage from it, the creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or drop the object if it can. If it doesn't drop the object, it has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks until the start of your next turn.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 17, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jared
HP: 21/24 (3/3HD) | AC: 13 | Spells: 1/2

Jared is rather impressed at the Paladin's prowess. Perhaps it was preordained, Jared isn't really one to believe that but whatever, but either way it was an impressive feat.

He nods to Janelle and takes aim at the spellcaster. Sadly the blast of eldritch energy passes by the spellcaster harmlessly.

Eldritch Blast vs AC of Spellcaster 1d20+5 8 for 1d10+3 10 force damage.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"AHH! Get her! The one in the back!"

:c: 19/33
24/27 11/26 (blessed) 21/24
:rolldice: 27/29 (blessed)
:rolldice: (blessed)

12/16 12/16
:c: 28/44 AC16 (heated metal)

ritorix fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 17, 2014

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

24 HP // 20 AC
Finally up close with the woman, Zedekiah finds himself unexpectedly mortified. Staring awkwardly at Frulam, he is compelled to ask, "Hrast! What's wrong with your face?! What did that to you?"

Waador fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 17, 2014

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Hager [Info/Quicklook]
HP: 27/29 (3/3HD) | AC: 16 | Rages: 2(3) | 20 Arrows

Hager barely gets to make a move as the others go through a series of violent actions. "Those eggs are gonna have to wait, these folk don't know when they've been bested!"

Sweeping the legs out from under the Cultist, he swiftly stabs through the stomach mid fall, forcing the body to slam into the ground with the blow. Drawing the blade out and slashing at the other Cultist puts the man on the defensive. Did Zed say to hold back on these guys? He can't quite remember. Oh well.

Moving to AH40, attacking Cultist at AH41 for kill, moving over one more square to end in AH41.

Attack / GWF: 2#1d20+5 20*Cultist, hit* / 11+Bless: 1#1d4 2*Cultist at AG41, 13 misses*
Damage: 1#2d6+3 14*Cultist killed*

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alethra Kolagar, Sword of Torm
27 hp; AC 19; 3 HD; 1/3 1st level spells

Alethra charges forward, screaming. "For Torm! For the good of all!" One of her blades goes wide, but the other slips into the cultist's side, slashing it open.

Move to AF40. Both attacks against AG40.
Attack!: 1d20+1d4+5 13 1d8+3 10 1d20+1d4 23 1d8 4

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

24 HP // 20 AC
Partially turning his head away from the cultists, he calls out behind him, "Oh, Jethro! Wilbur! If you two would like to make it out of this in my good graces, I would rather appreciate you putting a few crossbow bolts into the heads of your former employers. Feel free to think of it as the first step in your atonement in this matter."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"Uh, right away, sir!"

Both mercenaries fire at Zed's command, with one striking the cultist with a bolt. Meanwhile, Alethra fends off the fanatical swings of the surviving Dragonclaw.

guards vs cultist: 2#1d20+3 21 9. One hits for 4 damage.
dragonclaw vs alethra: 2#2d20k1+5 11 12 2#1d6+3 8 5 2d6 6. Missed.

"Tiamat, save and protect your servant."

An enchantment shimmers around Frulam as she turns and runs for it. Frulam heads into the cavern and jumps out of sight off a ledge. From his current vantage point, Hager can make a swing at the woman as she flees, but he finds himself thinking he is not so sure she is worth the effort.

Hager: You get an opportunity attack against her (AC16), but to take it you must first pass a DC14 Wisdom save. Anyone attempting to attack her or cast a spell on her must make the same save each time.

From here, Hager and the others nearby can make out where she is headed. The eastern chamber that lies at the bottom of the stairs is immense. A wide ledge runs along the left wall and drops away to a pit on the right. Many stalactites descend from the ceiling, and the sound of dripping water echoes continuously.

"You will not touch her!"

The cultist casts of spell of rotting as he touches Hager. At the merest touch flesh begins to rot away, muscles weaken and the will to live fades. Such is the power of Tiamat!

Level 2 Inflict Wounds vs Hager: 1d20+3 21 hits for 4d10 23 necrotic damage.

:rolldice: 24/27 11/26 (blessed) 21/24 4/29 (blessed) (blessed)

12/16
:c: 28/44 AC16 (Heated Metal)(Sanctuary)
:c: 11/33

ritorix fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 18, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Janelle
Nel raises the dimly glowing steel to her lips and exhales. It flares like an ember as does the armor sympathetically linked to it when the spell was first cast. In truth, everything was linked since Creation, until the end of time--Linan and Frulam, Nel's birth mother Melliny and the raider on whose orders she'd been killed and Nel captured in her stead. There was no getting away from it, no matter how far or for how long you ran, or how much stone or how many soldiers you put in the way.

She peeks out of cover and slings an acorn at one of those last things. No luck, but it wasn't really necessary as long as the others landed a few more blows.

"It's all but over. Finish them with Sleep."
Heat Metal Damage: 2d8 15
:supaburn:
sling attack; damage: 1d20+5 9 1d4+3 5 miss
30/30 HP; 17 AC; 3d8 HD; 1/4, 0/2 Spells; Entangle, Goodberry, Thunderwave; Heat Metal, Pass Without Trace; 9/10 Healkit; 1/2 Wildshapes;
PP 20, PI 17

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The anguished moans of Frulam are quickly joined by the growls of two drakes. It seems she isn't alone in there.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Hager [Info/Quicklook]
HP: 4/29 (3/3HD) | AC: 16 | Rages: 2(3) | 20 Arrows

Reaction: Wisdom Check, Attack: 1#1d20+2 16*pass* 1#1d20+5 17*forgot bless but hits her anyways*
Damage: 1#2d6+3 11

The shining aura almost blinds Hager. His better judgement tells him to let her go, but he's never developed the habit of listening to that. His sword's blessing from Alethra reacts against the woman's aura, causing a cackle of shining light. The blade slips through the glowing aura and cuts a strong gash across her stomach as she turns to run.

Hager planned to follow it up with more, invigorated by the success. The hand of the other Cultist forces him to reconsider, as a sickness-like sensation causes him to buckle under his own growing exhaustion as blood is magically siphoned out of him.

Being drained has robbed him of energy, but raw stubbornness keeps him on his feet. Tapping into the dragon rage housed in his being, he summons all his power to strike with unrestrained recklessness.

Attacking / Advantage: 2#1d20+5 6*miss* 16*success even without bless because I have this stuff preset and I keep forgetting*
Damage: 1#2d6+3 9*against the one who necro-damaged me*

Attacks against Hager have Advantage until his next turn.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jared
HP: 21/24 (3/3HD) | AC: 13 | Spells: 1/2

Jared screams as the magic ravages his brother, "Hager!" He then unleashes a mighty blast of eldritch energy at the perpetrator of his brother's agony.

The bolt of purple agony lances into the spellcaster, nearly toppling him from his feet. But it wasn't quite enough.

Eldritch Blast vs AC of Spellcaster 1d20+5 17 for 1d10+3 9 force damage.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Only one fanatical cultist stands between you and Frulam. You can hear her whimpering in the next cavern over, desperately pulling at her clothing, trying to get out of her armor even as it scalds her body. Escape is doomed to failure - unfastening the straps of a suit of chainmail will take far more time than she has left. Taking off her gloves only made it worse. She clutches one hand to her most recent wound only to have it burn her even more.

21/24 4/29 (blessed)
:rolldice: 24/27 11/26 (blessed) (blessed)
12/16
:c: 2/44 AC16 (Heated Metal)(Sanctuary)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ander Basha
HP 11/26(2HD)|AC 17|Daily healing remaining:0|Javelin/Arrows remaining: 8/39| Spells:0
Ander fixes his eyes upon the last cultist standing in the way.

"You are a fool, you place your trust in your faith, and your faith is lacking."

Though he doesn't exactly follow up with his boast.
Bonus Action switch hunter's mark to cultist
Attack vs AC @ Cultist: 1d20+1d4+5 9 3d6+3 15

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

24 HP // 20 AC
Seemingly furious, Zedekiah comments, "Oh, fine, whatever. Don't worry, I'll tap into my infinite reserve of arcane energy in order to preserve our limited supply of swords." With a wave of his hand and a single word in the draconic tongue, he sets off a blast of invisible force that ripples throughout the area, first overcoming Frulam, and then Hager, and then the last remaining cultist. Before the wave of energy hits her, he comments in the common tongue, "Good news, Frulam, you'll die peacefully in your sleep. Give my best to Jim. And that Cyanwrath fellow. And the hundred other members of your army that I sent to hell, you worthless garbage."

As the cultist falls, he looks to Ander, who he imagines has a score to settle. "He's all yours."
pre:
Action:  Cast a spell (sleep)
          - 26 HP at AH-44 (SE vertex)
          - 2HP (Frulam) + 4HP (Hager) + 12HP (Cultist) + 8HP ???

Waador fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 19, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Hager, Frulam and the other cultist drift off into unnatural sleep. The cavern goes quiet.

21/24 4/29 (blessed)
24/27 11/26 (blessed) (blessed)

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

24 HP // 20 AC
He spends a moment to take stock of everyone, and notes with concern the grievous wounds suffered by Hager, as well as the less-than-stellar condition of Ander. After the paladin beheads the last remaining cultist, he shrugs and says, "Well, this is as good a place as any to take a break. Wilbur, Jethro, since you're actually employed here, keep watch on the northwestern corridor and keep people out. The rest of you should take a bit of time to bandage your wounds. For my own part, I have a promise to keep."

That promise, rather obviously, is the skinning of the half-dragon. He drags the corpse to the western part of the room, behind the cover of the pillars, and begins the process: first, he removes the man's armor, equipment, and clothing. Then, using a combination of his dagger and his withering necromantic touch, he skins the body from its headless stump to its toes, carefully sorting the scales by size and quality.

Waador fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 19, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Janelle
Beheaded, stripped and flayed; marked, chased down and burned at the stake--they were fates that might have befallen Nel for her alleged witchcraft back in the day, but now she was the one with the power to sentence evildoers to death and carry out the execution. The monster-blooded man doesn't get it right though, Frulam isn't merely being brought low, she's being broken down into component parts. "Not even trash, Zed. Just. Ash."

The steel brightens from red to orange to white, then bursts into flame in Nel's hand. She advances to watch the cremation from the top of the ledge her quarry had jumped, then ends the spell and gathers the deceased's belongings, from her person and her room up the chute.
PP 20, PI 17

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ander Basha
HP 26/26(1HD)|AC 17|Daily healing remaining:0|Javelin/Arrows remaining: 8/39| Spells:0
Healing Dice: 1d10+1 6
Healing dice 2: 1d10+1 9
Ander beheads the cultist cleanly, then tosses him on the steadily growing pyre that was once Frulam.

"So what now? We've got more cave and more cultists and dragonbrood I'm sure. And we still haven't found these eggs. I'm good to continue if you are but I spent most of what I had making sure Landregosa will never trouble anyone again."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

24 HP // 20 AC
He comments, while just getting into the process of removing the half-dragon's armor, "I'd be hesitant to get a good night's sleep in this place, but an hour-long break to catch our breath isn't unwarranted. Afterwards, we can make our way through the remaining chambers and execute any remaining loyalists. Were the eggs not in the chest that Jared liberated? If not, I can't imagine they are more than a few paces from our current position. Presumably somewhere to the east, since that is where literally all of their leaders retreated when the acid filled the room."

Waador fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 19, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Before Nel unwisely leaps into the pit after Frulam's corpse, she notices a few things about the pit. First, it's about 15' deep. Wooden steps have been built down to the lower area, and they are encased in a stout iron cage with a gate at the bottom. A key to the gate hangs on a wall peg opposite the top of the stairs.

The growls of drakes she heard earlier are coming from behind a few stalagmites on the cavern floor down the stairs. Whatever is down there is hiding behind the rocks, about 10 feet from Frulam's body.

I suggest letting everyone finish the hour rest here before rushing into the next thing.

21/24 4/29
24/27

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Within the chest the imp nabbed, you find a few valuable treasures. There is a string of pearls, a gold-and-sapphire ring, and a pouch containing a half-dozen masterfully cut and polished precious stones.

Total value there is 1300gp. Some of this might be from Greenest.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

27 HP // 20 AC
At the news of the treasure in the chest, he also comments, "That should be enough wealth to return Linan from the dead, incidentally. A day trip to Baldur's Gate, or a letter to any of a number of priests that I know, could arrange it. I believe we still have about five days before such a thing would become impossible."
pre:
Before short rest...
 - Use Second Wind, regain 5 HP
 - HP:  24/27 > 27/27

During short rest...
 - Regain Second Wind
 - Use Arcane Recovery, regain 1 spell slot
 - Spend an hour carefully skinning a half-dragon
Expended Abilities: Arcane Recovery

Waador fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 19, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
While Hager sleeps, he is briefly visited by the head-dragon. The creature is less ghostly here in the dream, appearing with scales of brilliant silver.

"The beast is dead. Well done. It has something of mine...be sure to retrieve it."

On the dead half-dragon, tucked into its belt, you find a 6-inch-long fang. It's obviously from a massive beast. As you near it seems to hum with energy. In fact, it hums as Nell nears it. During your rest, you discover that it was reacting to her magical amulet.

The tooth allows the wielder to cast Detect Magic at will.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Hager [Info/Quicklook]
HP: 21/29 (0/3HD) | AC: 16 | Rages: 2(3) | 20 Arrows

Rolling 2 HD: 2#1d12+1 4 11
Rolling 1 HD: 1#1d12+1 2

As Hager naps from the spell, his wounds and fatigue are washed away. Could be the work of the inner dragon, having visited him in his sleep with very, very rare praise.

He awakens mostly well rested and apparently without knowledge of what made him fall asleep in the first place. "Must have nodded off" seems to be a reasonable answer to him, at least for now.

He thinks back on seeing the Mind Dragon and the brilliant silver scales he was adorned with. It is rare for a sight to impress him as that did. Then he remembers what he spoke of - that which belonged to him? When Hager retrieves the fang, he soon deduces something about Nell makes it respond. "Catch." He tosses the tooth her way, seemingly uninterested in the finding.

Chances are if it belonged to the Mind Dragon, it was just gonna be more trouble. Hager cracks his neck and stretches his body. "I miss anything fun while I was out?"

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Janelle
"I've heard the gods are kind to those who die to protect children and lovers. Be sure she actually wants to come back before you volunteer her to be indebted to you so."

Nel catches the tooth, deduces its magical property, and uses it and her hooded lantern to sweep the area they've covered already.
PP 20, PI 17
I don't need to rest so I'll backtrack and make sure we haven't missed anything magical or otherwise.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Nothing magical is found in the areas you've already covered.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

27 HP // 20 AC
When he finishes prying the last remaining scale from the formerly-blue half-dragon's body, he stands up, stretches his legs, and climbs the nearby rope ladder. A few moments later he returns with Frulam's bed sheets in hand, and he goes about the process of safely wrapping the scales in the silky coverings before storing them in his backpack. He then wanders over to the severed head of the half-dragon, picks it up, and wraps it in a separate sheet, commenting, "I think I'll have this mounted."

He takes a moment to scan the remaining debris from their encounter, commenting, "It would seem his armor is a little worse for wear, and largely unsuitable for a typical human's frame. It could probably be resized to fit one of you, but the cost would not be very different from just having a new suit made from scratch, I would expect. Plus, I doubt you would ever get the dragon-stink out. Perhaps it would be best to just leave it where it lies?" He then picks up and inspects the half-dragon's greatsword and scabbard, assessing its quality to determine whether it is also worth leaving behind.

He then comments, "Well, I'm ready to proceed whenever the rest of you are. Jethro, Wilbur, you should go upstairs and start packing up, we'll be done in an hour or two, and I'll have need of your group at that time. Buford and the others are knocked out and tied up beyond the rope ladder, I think one or two of your comrades died in the melee but honestly there wasn't much I could have done about that. I'll arrange for a better-paying and slightly more respectable employment opportunity if you all do as you are told and avoid betraying me or running off, though I think at this point you know the price for doing either of the latter, hm?"

He takes a look to the northwest, and then to the east, cursory at best. "I'd suggest we investigate the eastern path first, and then wrap around the northwestern passage to ensure we've cleaned out the entire area of any remaining cultists. Jared, unsurprisingly I have the usual request regarding transparent, infrared scouting."

Waador fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 20, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jared
HP: 21/24 (3/3HD) | AC: 13 | Spells: 2/2

During the hour's rest Jared watches over Hager's sleeping form, letting his brother rest away his bruises. When Hager wakes he helps him get to his feet and follows as he finds the tooth.

When Zed asks about the usual Jared nods, "very well." Then he sends the invisible imp forward, having it travel silently and invisibly to scout out the growling sounds ahead.

Imp Stealth 1d20+5 11

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alethra Kolagar, Sword of Torm
27 hp; AC 19; 3 HD; 1/3 1st level spells

Alethra is a little bit dismayed by Zedekiah's trophy. "Why did you skin him, Zedekiah? He was a living, breathing man after all - just with scales. I would not want my flesh to be hung up as trophy. Would you?"

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

27 HP // 20 AC
He is somber in his response, obviously having been thinking along the same lines during the process, but remains convicted when he speaks, "He was half a man. And half a dragon. It is true that his scales are not as resilient as a true dragon's, but they are resistant to lightning-based assaults. If he is turned into a cloak, or a breastplate, or even a suit of scale mail, that property may save the life of its wearer. If that wearer is someone with a more noble purpose than his own, perhaps in some indirect way his life can bring about some good in this world. And perhaps that will be enough to help tip the scales in favor of his soul ever finding redemption, or at least, perhaps some kind of peace."

He shrugs, a bit sullen about the fate he assumes the man will find in death, having failed Tiamat in front of her very altar, "Even if he is now condemned to the Hells for all eternity, in his life he brought immense suffering to this world, and a great deal of injustice. By turning his remains into a force for good, I will help to balance that scale that he has upset. It is a minor act, but an act I am able to take, and so I will. Every avalanche begins with a single stone, after all. Besides that, I can't speak for any of you, but I expect that my business with the Cult of the Dragon will remain unfinished until I have undone the calamity they have wrought upon this region. Which leaves those who press on rather likely to face such a lightning-based assault more than once in the coming days. If our chances at success can be improved by using the strength of the enemy against them, so be it. When this is over I will give the armor a proper burial, honoring the deeds it helped to accomplish, and condemning the failings of its donor, but not a moment sooner."

On the subject of mounting the head as a trophy, he admits, "Perhaps mounting his head is a step too far, though. You are right, I can see little good ever coming from that. Perhaps I shall have him buried in an unmarked grave, engraved with a prayer that even those condemned at death may find redemption in the next life." He looks at her, uncharacteristically sincere about it, "I do appreciate you challenging my instincts, incidentally. One's moral compass can never be calibrated without a true north, as it were." He also adds, "Though, to answer your question: yes. If my remains could be used to undo whatever darkness I may have unknowingly or knowingly caused in life, I would hope they would be used to do so."

Waador fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 20, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jared
HP: 21/24 (3/3HD) | AC: 13 | Spells: 2/2

Jared is trying to scout with his mental projection, but all this talk about skinning people and Zed's views are just a bit too disturbing.

"I think the point is that skinning the guy was disturbing and immoral, or perhaps even evil. That you actually want to wear his skin is even more disturbing and well I would be careful one of the two paladins don't decide that you are too evil to let live as you go around skinning people."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Jared's projection finds a few interesting things hiding in the shadows. To the east, past the caged stairs, is a depression hiding four kobolds. They appear terrified, but are trying to remain still. They have a number of clay pots with them.

Behind the southern stalagmites are a pair of blue drakes. The appear to be guarding a set of two dragon eggs in the south-eastern part of the room. The eggs are about 3 foot tall each.

As for Frulam, her body has moved. Somehow in the last hour she either crawled to the south-western corner or was taken there by the drakes.

It is pretty messy. Everything above the waist is...missing. There is a large pool of blood surrounding the remains.

21/24 21/29
24/27

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

27 HP // 20 AC
He also responds to Jared, "Well, yes, when you frame it as if I am going around skinning people and wearing their skin like a bath robe, of course it sounds amoral." He pauses, thinking on that for a moment, "...which might be fair. I'll have to think about this further. That said, he did give me his permission to do this. Or, at least, he seemed fine with the idea so long as I consented to him skinning me if the battle had gone the other way."

• Locked thread