Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

myDad posted:

Likely the way a spritesheet works: put all of them together in one big 'canvas', then cut out the piece you need when rendering. Except in this case it would be a polygon composed of triangles.
TIL I have a pavlovian stress response to bad programming decomposition

yospos here I come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Oh, like an image sprite in css. That's probably quite efficient in some ways but a bitch to mod then?

Eh, all the data is loaded into memory so it's probably not much more efficient that having separate files. Efficiency used to be a huge concern when the capacity of a game cartridge or disk was in the megabytes, but since then, well,

myDad fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 11, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

You'd be using more memory then usual unless all the guns were on screen at one time, wouldn't you.

Bizarre.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Depends on the implementation. You can open the file, cut out the piece you want and keep that saved in RAM, then close the file. The point of efficiency is that you only have one file with a header describing its contents instead of n files (and n very similar headers). It probably saved space on the disc, but it sounds like that guy did a lot of stuff that was entirely unnecessary. :shrug:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The lighting in IW was actually pretty good for the time, I thought. I wonder what that programmer went on to do.

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

You'd be using more memory then usual unless all the guns were on screen at one time, wouldn't you.

Bizarre.

Switching between guns in-game needs to be fast though, so you'd be keeping all the textures in memory anyway.

Also old graphics cards made it more efficient (or sometimes even necessary) to have textures with pixel dimensions in square powers of 2 (32x32, 64x64, etc), so there might have been a consideration there if you could cram them all into the same square space.

But yes, would make it a bitch and a half to mod

Lunchabully fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 11, 2017

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
there was a pre-release interview where someone involved in IW, possibly Smith, bragged about the AI scripting capabilities they were working on, that would be able to detect and react to the surroundings in interesting ways.

what he described did end up in the game but it was rather useless. if you shut down a security bot while a guard wasn't looking, he'd turn around and say "THE BOT'S SHUT DOWN. THAT'S STRANGE!" and then continue patrolling exactly as before

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Lunchabully posted:

Switching between guns in-game needs to be fast though, so you'd be keeping all the textures in memory anyway.

Also old graphics cards made it more efficient (or sometimes even necessary) to have textures with pixel dimensions in square powers of 2 (32x32, 64x64, etc), so there might have been a consideration there if you could cram them all into the same square space.

But yes, would make it a bitch and a half to mod
weapons also play a pretty significant role in player feedback, and are something you probably want to be able to tinker with pretty far into development
so hopefully they kept discrete files during development and only moved to the single texture after the loadout and weapon designs were finalized? but if they didn't it was just as much of a nightmare for the developers as it would be for modders

idk I'm just imagining getting all the way into alpha and realizing like the shotgun would have better balance as a double barrel or the rifle's bolt is on the wrong side or something then finding out we couldn't change it without having to then manually realign the textures for every weapon in the game

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Cubone posted:

here we go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIdYl2oN74

my wife left me. we hosed up. we hosed up. we hosed up,

Not exactly, the guy is totally unapologetic. He blames listening to "some hardcore friend" which is why they lost "90% of the audience."

"It's not selling out to cater to an audience...if you want to make an indy game, sit in your closet and make an indy game and release it for four guys on the internet. That's great. That's totally noble."

"We had some good friends who said Deus Ex was a giant disaster...so ashamed, let's fix that in the sequel" Removing "redundant skills and augmentations," which the Deus Ex 1 players inexplicably liked, are core reason behind IW failing.

This guy has no idea why Deus Ex was good and less than that on why IW was bad.

bedpan fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 12, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The version of the engine that they used for Thief: Deadly Shadows was sightly more complete/functional and modders have been able to do a lot to fix it up like merging all the tiny maps into proper huge levels, there's nothing quite on par with that for Invisible War but earlier this year somebody put out [an unofficial patch that lets it run at modern resolutions and apparently helps with some of the performance issues.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bedpan posted:

Not exactly, the guy is totally unapologetic. He blames listening to "some hardcore friend" which is why they lost "90% of the audience."

"It's not selling out to cater to an audience...if you want to make an indy game, sit in your closet and make an indy game and release it for four guys on the internet. That's great. That's totally noble."

"We had some good friends who said Deus Ex was a giant disaster...so ashamed, let's fix that in the sequel" Removing "redundant skills and augmentations," which the Deus Ex 1 players inexplicably liked, are core reason behind IW failing.

"Removing redundancy" should be a huge red flag when developing a Deus Ex style game. Most of the appeal of the game is that there are dozens of different ways to do everything, and depending on how you play, you might come across all of them or one of them and no matter what it's equally valid.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

bedpan posted:

what?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sagebrush posted:

"Removing redundancy" should be a huge red flag when developing a Deus Ex style game. Most of the appeal of the game is that there are dozens of different ways to do everything, and depending on how you play, you might come across all of them or one of them and no matter what it's equally valid.

There are dozens of different ways to do everything, but most of them involving crawling through convenient human-sized ventilation ducts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dishonored is a similar sort of game.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Alpha Protocol definitely has shades of Deus Ex, though it plays very differently. But the storytelling, weird (branching) scenarios, and overall bizarre feel are pretty Deus Ex.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Human sized ventilation ducts were illuminati mandated in the building code to give their agents a back door into any important facility but much like the rest of the game, the player uses their own technology against them because in their hubris they never thought anyone would ever challenge them.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Harvey Smith screwed up and blames other people

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

There are dozens of different ways to do everything, but most of them involving crawling through convenient human-sized ventilation ducts.

that's disingenuous. i'd say no more than half of them involve crawling through convenient human-sized ducts

anyway, point remains that the game is about redundancy. how many different ways can you get into the statue of liberty? if the devs had just said "well you can find the key for the door by talking to that bum, like alex jacobson said in the briefing, so we don't need to allow collecting lockpicks or hacking the computer or stacking boxes around the back, because that's redundant" it would miss the entire point of the game.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Alpha Protocol definitely has shades of Deus Ex, though it plays very differently. But the storytelling, weird (branching) scenarios, and overall bizarre feel are pretty Deus Ex.

I wanted to like this but couldn't get into it. The aesthetic and story just didn't seem interesting.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

that's disingenuous. i'd say no more than half of them involve crawling through convenient human-sized ducts

anyway, point remains that the game is about redundancy. how many different ways can you get into the statue of liberty? if the devs had just said "well you can find the key for the door by talking to that bum, so we don't need to allow collecting lockpicks or hacking the computer or stacking boxes around the back, because that's redundant" it would miss the entire point of the game.

iirc, Harvey Smith was the guy who was pushing for universal ammo too.

Sad for Deus Ex that when he sold out, he sold out to the poorly designed, bad sequel market

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and the fact that there's just so much poo poo in the game that any given player might see like, I dunno, 20% of the content on one run. if the argument is "well therefore we're wasting effort by doing the other 80%" then you screwed up.

it probably took me like a dozen playthroughs before i discovered the shotgun on the sunken boat out the back dock of liberty island. how many people found that on their first time through? there isn't even any more ammo for it on the island (iirc) and you get the same shotgun immediately when you go to castle clinton, so it's pretty much useless. but it's still there

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

The only 'redundancy' they removed which has a plausible argument is combining multitools and lockpicks imo. Whoever told him Deus Ex 1 was a disaster should be found and executed on national tv for being so incredibly wrong.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 12, 2017

Cubone
May 26, 2011

bedpan posted:

Harvey Smith screwed up and blames other people

bedpan posted:

iirc, Harvey Smith was the guy who was pushing for universal ammo too.

Sad for Deus Ex that when he sold out, he sold out to the poorly designed, bad sequel market

okay I feel like

you have a thing about harvey smith,
but I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about selling out, or not selling out, when he said "cater to an audience" I think he just meant it's important to remember to put the players' experience before abstract design efficiency? that's the way I always took it

anyway I only posted it because it's funny that when asked about the design process he immediately says he was going through a bad divorce and they hosed up in a lot of respects
like because in the one for the first game he doesn't do that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTWvsGA77T4

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Neurosis posted:

I wanted to like this but couldn't get into it. The aesthetic and story just didn't seem interesting.

the story is good once you dig into it, and the interactions are always great but everything aside from that is poo poo tier

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Alpha Protocol would legit be better as an adventure game or even a glorified visual novel because the way that you can effect so many things and how the whole plot takes several playthroughs to really wrap your head around it all is the best thing about and padding it out with hours of mediocre third-person stealth action just gets in the way of it all.

Alpha Protocol didn't begin with you using 0451 as a door code so it isn't a true Immersive Sim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAtAyycx-uY

If you're the kind of person who watches dudes theorycrafting about video games on YouTube the latest Errant Signal about the legacy of Looking Glass Studio and all the games like Deus Ex and Bioshock and Dishonored and Prey that all share its DNA is a good listen. His point about these types of games having plots where your character serves as a mediating force between extreme viewpoints is something the Invisible War chat has had me thinking about, because for all its faults the entire plot about the two different factions secretly being controlled by the same people is a great example of that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It has story branches like the main character getting raped by blonde east german woman.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i found an accidentally designed sequence break that gets you a door code in versa life (i think) before without even attempting to do some plot points. it was a long time ago

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Cubone posted:

okay I feel like

you have a thing about harvey smith,

:gay:

Cubone posted:

but I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about selling out, or not selling out, when he said "cater to an audience" I think he just meant it's important to remember to put the players' experience before abstract design efficiency? that's the way I always took it

What I took from it is that he thought a game much more in the style of Deus Ex 1 would alienate the potential players and waste "20 million of somebody else's money." Which is hilarious considering the reception IW had on the market.

Cubone posted:

anyway I only posted it because it's funny that when asked about the design process he immediately says he was going through a bad divorce and they hosed up in a lot of respects

Oh it is! Everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

Guy Mann posted:

Alpha Protocol would legit be better as an adventure game or even a glorified visual novel because the way that you can effect so many things and how the whole plot takes several playthroughs to really wrap your head around it all is the best thing about and padding it out with hours of mediocre third-person stealth action just gets in the way of it all.

Alpha Protocol didn't begin with you using 0451 as a door code so it isn't a true Immersive Sim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAtAyycx-uY

If you're the kind of person who watches dudes theorycrafting about video games on YouTube the latest Errant Signal about the legacy of Looking Glass Studio and all the games like Deus Ex and Bioshock and Dishonored and Prey that all share its DNA is a good listen. His point about these types of games having plots where your character serves as a mediating force between extreme viewpoints is something the Invisible War chat has had me thinking about, because for all its faults the entire plot about the two different factions secretly being controlled by the same people is a great example of that.

good video. I liked the point about how most of these games have worlds where the social order is breaking down, and how that works well with gameplay that focuses on giving the player freedom of choice in how to solve problems

also anyone who agrees that Bioshock Infinite's thematic structure is trash is okay by me

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Stick with the prod

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

bedpan posted:

He's absolutely right about the setting. The portrayal of locations in DX was historically grounded, so that New York has a Battery Park and Paris has an art nouveau subway entrance, etc. Compare to IW where "Seattle" could have been renamed anything, and as if to prove the point it was renamed Hengsha and reused in HR. There hasn't been a commitment to connecting the story with what the player knows about the world

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

He's absolutely right about the setting. The portrayal of locations in DX was historically grounded, so that New York has a Battery Park and Paris has an art nouveau subway entrance, etc. Compare to IW where "Seattle" could have been renamed anything, and as if to prove the point it was renamed Hengsha and reused in HR. There hasn't been a commitment to connecting the story with what the player knows about the world

Yeah, I was hasty with that last sentence.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Harvey Smith can make a good action game but he 100% doesn't get what made Deus Ex amazing.

Neither does Warren Spector. I'm not sure any of the creators really grasp the whole picture.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
https://playthroughline.com/scripts/deus-ex-invisible-war Sums up IW pretty well.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

the black husserl posted:

Harvey Smith can make a good action game but he 100% doesn't get what made Deus Ex amazing.

Neither does Warren Spector. I'm not sure any of the creators really grasp the whole picture.

Spector himself admits this. He's credited as being the man behind Deus Ex but has always been insistent that the credit belonged to the whole team.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

meat police posted:

Stick with the prod

prod with the prod

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
nah it sucks so i uninstalled it. games that rigidly follow d&d mechanics are generally bad, and "hard at first, but gets easier" is a crazy dumb way to design a game

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 12, 2017

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

prod with the prod

Welcome to the coalition, PROD!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
you're just really bad at the game mate lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

you're just really bad at the game mate lol
strange, since i do fine at other games that aren't designed by character sheet nerds

• Locked thread