Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Baseball's most unbreakable record has to be Cy Young's 511 wins. Only one other player, Walter Johnson, has more than 400. 5-man rotations make it pretty much impossible to get that high, even if you somehow manage to be ridiculously good, lucky, and injury-free.

Cal Ripken's 2,632 consecutive games played is probably never going to be touched either. Only 5 MLBers played in all 162 games in 2016 and 2017. Only 2 played in all 162 in 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/nickgroke/status/1027289801127616517

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

There have not been 86 perfect games, so I'm not sure how you can say it's more rare than one.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Yea think he meant No Hitter

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I love that Mike Fiers has both an immaculate inning and a no-hitter

because he is garbage

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I'm pretty sure he's using "number of innings pitched in the history of baseball" as the denominator for the rate of immaculate innings for "rarity" purposes.

There's only one chance at a perfect game every game, there are 18 chances at an immaculate inning (or more!)

Maybe I'm over thinking this and that guy is just dumb. I dunno!

So, 210,000 games and 23 perfect games = .001095%

Averaging those games to 9 innings a piece (and both teams can pitch 9 innings) would be... 3,780,000 innings available for an immaculate inning and 85 of them have been thrown = .000225%

Edit: I'm definitely over thinking this.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 8, 2018

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'm pretty sure he's using "number of innings pitched in the history of baseball" as the denominator for the rate of immaculate innings for "rarity" purposes.

There's only one chance at a perfect game every game, there are 18 chances at an immaculate inning (or more!)

Averaging those games to 9 innings a piece (and both teams can pitch 9 innings) would be... 3,780,000 innings available for an immaculate inning and 85 of them have been thrown = .000225%

Lol just click his tweet the very next one in the thread he corrects himself and says "no hitters, not perfect games".

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Still true though! In the sense of how many innings are available to actually throw an immaculate inning, they are rare as gently caress. Although with strikeout rates climbing these days they are certainly becoming more of a common thing to see. There were 8 last year :stare:

For a guy who had a career 10% K rate, Ichiro being victim to two immaculate innings is pretty funny.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 8, 2018

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

If Chris Davis were to get 30 hits in his next 60 at bats ... he'd be hitting .210 for the season.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This was my thought as well and this is correct, he should've stuck to his guns here

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Baseball's most unbreakable record has to be Cy Young's 511 wins. Only one other player, Walter Johnson, has more than 400. 5-man rotations make it pretty much impossible to get that high, even if you somehow manage to be ridiculously good, lucky, and injury-free.

Cal Ripken's 2,632 consecutive games played is probably never going to be touched either. Only 5 MLBers played in all 162 games in 2016 and 2017. Only 2 played in all 162 in 2015.

The wins record won’t ever come close to being touched. A local talk show host read off the stat that after 17 years of being one of the most durable and elite pitchers in the game, Mike Mussina had 270 wins. Mike Mussina would therefore have to go back and have nearly his entire career all over again just to break the record.

We’ll be lucky to see anyone get to 300 career wins, let alone break Cy’s record.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Jason Werth posted:

“They’ve got all these super nerds in the front office that know nothing about baseball but they like to project numbers and project players,” Werth said.

″... I think it’s killing the game. It’s to the point where just put computers out there. Just put laptops and what have you, just put them out there and let them play. We don’t even need to go out there anymore. It’s a joke.”

“When they come down, these kids from MIT, Stanford, Harvard, wherever they’re from, they’ve never played baseball in their life,” Werth continued. “When they come down to talk about stuff like [shifts], should I just bunt it over there? They’re like, ‘No, don’t do that. We don’t want you to do that. We want you to hit a homer.’ It’s just not baseball to me. We’re creating something that’s not fun to watch. It’s boring. You’re turning players into robots.

You nerds have trashed the game. Happy now?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I'd rather watch a computer simulate baseball than watch the Marlins simulate baseball

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I want an anti-Moneyball movie where the Werths chase these kids out of the clubhouse and start bunting again.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the dynamic between people who try and figure out mathematically perfect baseball and people who actually play baseball is one of my favorite things

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
It's a dumb complaint by Werth as it is, but more than half of GMs either played college or minor league ball, and one is a former major leaguer, as are a bunch of team Presidents and VPs.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

GPTribefan posted:

The wins record won’t ever come close to being touched. A local talk show host read off the stat that after 17 years of being one of the most durable and elite pitchers in the game, Mike Mussina had 270 wins. Mike Mussina would therefore have to go back and have nearly his entire career all over again just to break the record.

We’ll be lucky to see anyone get to 300 career wins, let alone break Cy’s record.

How many wins would Cy Young had gotten if he played for the Mets though?

I don't watch baseball because I'm a dumb nerd but I can look at his stats and see that he hasn't been good since 2014. I'm sure scouts or whoever that don't own computers and only watch games could have told you that too though.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Today is the 30th anniversary of Wrigley Field’s first game with lights installed for night games. Of course, that game got rained out in the 4th inning so the game was scratched, which to me is just about the most Cubs thing that could have happened.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
probably won't see 42 caught stealing again

or 50 hit batsmen

or 48 losses

or 122 errors

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah, this is my pick for most unbreakable modern-era record. Alcides Escobar had the longest streak going at 400 or so games, and that ended this season. With rest days and multi-position players being commonplace now, the game has made the record set just 20 years ago untouchable in the same way 5-man rotations and pitch counts did for Cy Young's records. No player is going to be so average that he's good enough to play every day but not good enough to care about resting him, plus the absurd luck of not being injured ever and somehow having a manager that's stuck 30 years in the past that would allow something ridiculous like that happen.

While something like Joe DiMaggio's hit streak is mathematically very unlikely to be topped (even moreso with pitcher specialization and match-up/defensive alignment analytics today), the game hasn't fundamentally changed to the point where it could never happen.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

e:nvm

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

the popes toes posted:

You nerds have trashed the game. Happy now?

No no no, Jayson. They're HORSES not ROBOTS.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The players that complain about "nerds" in baseball usually suck and are upset that someone found a way to quantify that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Werth is just mad that Boras is a dumbshit and completely hosed up his FA bargaining position.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Jayson Werth is about as intelligent as my cousin Todd who managed to run himself over with his own truck while driving it

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Werth is right.

I wouldn’t want busybody nerds telling me where to stand at work.

Stuff them in lockers, I say.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Tom Gorman posted:

Jayson Werth is about as intelligent as my cousin Todd who managed to run himself over with his own truck while driving it

I'm pretty sure it was Grienke who marveled that some of the best players in the game are brainlessly stupid because (paraphrasing) "this games hurts you when you think too much."

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the popes toes posted:

I'm pretty sure it was Grienke who marveled that some of the best players in the game are brainlessly stupid because (paraphrasing) "this games hurts you when you think too much."

I never figured out if Grienke was secretly smart or just an amazingly quotable version of dumb.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

It's disheartening but also hilarious to me to see Werth bashing analytics when he's exactly the kind of player that traditional stats underrate. He never hit for a ton of power and his defense was lousy by pretty much any evaluation, but he got on base all the time and was a deceptively excellent baserunner. Without analytics the true value of his game wouldn't have been appreciated. What a maroon.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

ego symphonic posted:

It's disheartening but also hilarious to me to see Werth bashing analytics when he's exactly the kind of player that traditional stats underrate. He never hit for a ton of power and his defense was lousy by pretty much any evaluation, but he got on base all the time and was a deceptively excellent baserunner. Without analytics the true value of his game wouldn't have been appreciated. What a maroon.

This is known as Joe Morgan Syndrome

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

ego symphonic posted:

Completely different to use advanced analytics to identify undervalued qualities vs using advanced analytics to tell individuals where to stand and how to behave during their working day

I’m standing with Werth.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Grittybeard posted:

I never figured out if Grienke was secretly smart or just an amazingly quotable version of dumb.

Greinke talked about Brian Banister introducing him to sabermetrics, and the two of them used PitchFX data when it was first available. He has a really offbeat personality but he's definitely bright.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Miz Kriss posted:

Today is the 30th anniversary of Wrigley Field’s first game with lights installed for night games. Of course, that game got rained out in the 4th inning so the game was scratched, which to me is just about the most Cubs thing that could have happened.

The very first batter hit a leadoff homer in that game, too.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

GalacticAcid posted:

Completely different to use advanced analytics to identify undervalued qualities vs using advanced analytics to tell individuals where to stand and how to behave during their working day

I’m standing with Werth.

I mean, it comes off like you're equating playing the game of baseball and an actual average working day with a normal boss a little too closely. The manager tells people where to stand and how to behave anyway. The nerds are there to ideally help the manager and coaching staff make less dumb decisions.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

GalacticAcid posted:

Hi meet Frederick Taylor, he died in 1915 and is still making workers' lives hell.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

elentar posted:

Hi meet Frederick Taylor, he died in 1915 and is still making workers' lives hell.

Lol I was gonna write something about statcast and taylorism but decided to just post instead

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

GalacticAcid posted:

Lol I was gonna write something about statcast and taylorism but decided to just post instead

route efficiency is actually a really good illustration of taylorism, have used it with students before

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
https://twitter.com/BuffaloBisons/status/1027354160386252800

Large Son hits Large Homer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm mad at Werth getting mad about the nerds because he was so hilarious when doing bad stuff (standing there as the ball landed behind him, his existential crisis after seeing an eephus.)

• Locked thread