Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
Personally I am partial to the interpretation that the 'real' Giratina is the Distortion World itself and the Pokemon is just an avatar, similar to the theory that the Arceus Pokemon is one of Arceus' thousand arms.

Ofc, this would make both of them a lot more godlike than the series portray them (barring the secuance in HGSS).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
One is a powerful deer-thing and the other is a spooky dragon. Both are powerful, but a 10 year old can tell them what to do if the right ball is thrown

This rather limits the value of elaborate lore and mythology, because it looks very stupid when it meets gameplay realities

Pokemon itself rarely treats its big title creatures as more than super powerful dogs that the bad guys want to use to enact their plans, and imo that’s for the best

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

I've obsessed over Pokemon Reborn so much, I have a color-coded 5,999-word document filled with quotes, pieces of lore, and my own findings of the game so far up to the end of E17.

GeneX posted:

Pokemon itself rarely treats its big title creatures as more than super powerful dogs that the bad guys want to use to enact their plans, and imo that’s for the best

That's even true in the Mystery Dungeon games to some extent.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

It's kinda fascinating when fangames write Pokemon that. Probably because it's just them being more familiar with the whole Satan/God conflicts in western culture. Even if they're not consciously aware of it. Growing up being taught that there's clear distinctions between protagonists/higher beings that have good moral qualities, while others have obvious "evil" qualities. And being unable to grasp the idea that these are just weird magic animals pure of any good or evil because it's so foreign to them. I mean, Arceus and designs Giratina are literally light and dark compared to each other, so someone who is almost exclusively exposed to something like Catholicism or Christianity in art and media would make the distinction that one must be good and the other evil.

I talked to someone who likes this idea and they mentioned that there are references to Christianity within old nintendo games (I think they mentioned a church in Pokemon as as a rebuttal for the fact, if anything Arceus would resemble a Shinto god than a Western one). And its fascinating to see them make those connections despite the fact there were probably put there because they were based on the real world and nothing more.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

All those arms would make Arceus a Buddha, surely?

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

mycelia posted:

All those arms would make Arceus a Buddha, surely?

I think you're thinking of Shiva

Edit: Never mind, I'm dumb

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

F14m3rz posted:

That's even true in the Mystery Dungeon games to some extent.

yeah, one of the later games has a legendary as a companion fairly early on.

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

I've obsessed over Pokemon Reborn so much, I have a color-coded 5,999-word document filled with quotes, pieces of lore, and my own findings of the game so far up to the end of E17.

Robindaybird posted:

yeah, one of the later games has a legendary as a companion fairly early on.

I meant more in terms of the villains.

Darkrai got Dialga to be a dick.
Bittercold got Kyurem to be a dick.
Dark Matter got Yveltal to be a dick.
That's what I meant.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Yeah, headcanon time!
I always figured when a trainer captured a Legendary, they just got an "image" of it, an avatar.
Said avatar can give moves that affect Pokemon battles, and even attacks that are reflection of what they can really do; but not the god powers.

Although one exception is that one case in Heartgold/SoulSilver where Arceus recreates reality to give you baby form of one of the Creation Trio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxC1kXm_AVs Which is theologically concerning.

But either way legit capturing a Legendary via pokeballs is less powerful and and more benign than when villains use artifacts to brainwash them.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Andyzero posted:

But either way legit capturing a Legendary via pokeballs is less powerful and and more benign than when villains use artifacts to brainwash them.

The "less powerful" is canon. It's why Cyrus wanted to use the Red Chain for Dialga and Palkia. Poke Balls limit the power of the mons they catch.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I also figure that with some exceptions based on master balls and other bullshit, legendaries that are more powerful could PROBABLY just not be caught most of the time, but it's more of a game to them if you manage to get their respect and earn their partnership. So you're not literally, like, stealing the Tapus away from Alola in a pretty concerning unintentional display of cultural appropriation, but that the Tapus have decided you're interesting enough to play with you.

Of course some legendaries are just, like, real big birds.

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Its Not mY AGe To Do AnY woRk,no luv No joB I Am fRee Now.
Welcome back!

I should probably try to explain how I beat Geara, since I did have to rely on more than just my current team. Purifying Shadow Grimer (who can be snagged in the battle against Zetta in Goldenwood Forest) was my first action.

I'm assuming this works like it did in the Colosseum games. Having never played the games, I couldn't reliably tell you. Every successful battle you have with Grimer, the heart gauge will empty a little more. When it's fully empty, you can take the Pokemon to be purified.

Some more (a lot more) battles ensue, until...

Bingo. Spook2004 was pretty much the only way I could safely deal with Ghost types and Clefable, but is just a really good guy in general.

Also of note was me using a Basculin to nuke Geara's Alolan Marowak at the start of the fight. Basculin has the ability Adaptability, which increases the power of Basculin's water attacks. KOing Marowak was Basculin's only objective.

Fun fact: Basculin has a capture rate of 25. Why.

After the Geara fight, everyone heads home for a nice meal.

Well, I do have a lot of experience. I occasionally cook for the entire town. Just a nice little gathering is all. Ah, Aelita. Finally awake I see...

You betcha. I can't let something so small bring me down! My father would have wanted it that way.

I think being asphyxiated quantifies as more than 'small'. :stare:

And I'm sure he'd be proud.

*Turns towards Arceus, I need to specify so this doesn't seem like a weird segue* Good morning, Arceus! Or whatever time of day it is. I let you down by losing so quickly to that creep, but I won't let it happen again! I wanna be that person who always has your back. So please look after me too!

Ah, companionship. Humanity's final hope for redemption.

Badge.

Huh...? Oh... yeah. We still have to figure out some way to change the people of this town. Is the assembly idea still on the table?

An assembly is such a ludicrous idea. ...So ludicrous that it may just work.

Great! Then I should go ahead and set everything up then?

She's clearly set up in advance, anticipating this situation.

I prefer to take a more personal approach. When I was younger I used to be a famous actor. I lived in the theatre practically. I yearned for the crowd's cheering, the elegent [sic] showtime... That dream has [sic] unfortunately died a long time ago. But I don't care. I would like to persuade everyone with my acting.

Generally speaking, the game is pretty good with grammar, which is honestly pretty impressive given its volume and verbosity, but sometimes I think reading stuff like this out loud and asking "would a real person talk like this?" would really help.

You want to... act in a play or something?

drat it Narcissa, I was being facetious.

Oh?

At the very end of the show, I will battle you in front of the entire town. I want you to battle and defeat me. I want you to show our little world what an entire galaxy is capable of.

(She's definitely alluding to Arceus creating the universe)

I see! Well, this is definitely a more creative way of doing things. But damnit I think it's a great idea!

Regardless of whether or not this plan actually works, I will absolutely embarrass Narcissa. To the theatre!

No, no, no, there's still so much to do! Before -

Narcissa!

Oh dear... this is a plot twist.

I was wondering when you'd show up. :catstare:

Only after travelling back in time and getting a different gym badge.

Oh...? Now this is ironic. You were the one who put up that old thing?

At the very least, Jan does acknowledge the hypocrisy of Ren's actions. I'm still irritated about the other plot contrivances though.

This time it was different...! I had to buy time so that I could become stronger.

To defeat me in battle? Still? That is your dream? After all this time you've worked so hard to do the same thing we did in the past.

Was killing a pink Noibat stalling for time?!! You cannot possibly act self-righteous with an act like that hanging over your head.

You can call it whatever you want, but I've seen through your actions

I can sense a rival battle brewing.

Currently all of the tickets to my show are sold out.

One ticket that will allow you to see the show close up.

She means battle her.

It is located somewhere within this theatre.

Somewhere.

First person to clear the the backrooms of this theatre will receive their ticket.

I understand... so it's a race. A race to see who will change this town for the better. I told you, Arceus. I told you that I was determined to change this town myself.

So if you truly want to battle Narcissa, then you better beat me to the end!

Sucks that Arceus' dream is collecting badges, and you're impeding that right now.

I'm sorry for changing the plan out of nowhere, but I think this is necessary. I said I was going to convert my entire town in the direction of peace and love.

Narcissa will not be Arceus' only victim today.

So I want you to defeat him in this race. And not out of spite. I want you to show him that what he's doing is wrong. His intentions are genuine, but the execution is severely lacking. You must break someone down before you can rebuild them into a better entity. Remember that, Arceus.

Naturally, my first port of call when starting the race is to do a longish sidequest elsewhere. I need the reward. Cherubi can be found on the rooftop garden of the hotel, in Gearen City.

Slugma can be found in Caratos mountain, the volcano where Team Xen was fought.

If you go downwards from the lab where you encountered Dr Jenkel (PULSE Musharna guy), Blitzle can be interacted with. You should have a Treat by this point.

Capture it.

And show the man the zebra.

The TM for Nature Power is now mine! Nature Power is nifty because it changes to match whatever terrain you're fighting on. Nature Power turns into Thunderbolt on Electric Terrain, as an example.

Back into the gym. As you progress though the backstage, you get snippets of the play, such as Narcissa soliloquy-ing here. It's a charming little vignette.

The trees are blooming, the Pokemon are happy, and the people are satisfied.
How could one not appreciate today for what it is? Goldenleaf Town is in a new age of prosperity. A new age of love, peace and hope for the future! And on this lovely stroll, I s-

Narcissa!

Ah yes, hello darling. Are you here to cherish this beautiful day with me?

Oh, I really would adore that... but unfortunately I cannot afford that.

Yes? What holds your tongue?
Could you perhaps have a message from the birds that sung?

I know it's still being dumped on me, but this is a much better way of dumping a backstory onto Arceus without being obnoxious about it. It definitely an improvement over say, journal.

Wispy Tower? What could possibly be wrong at Wispy Tower?

The plot thickens.

The puzzle to this gym is really simple. Walk past all of the lit torches, avoid the unlit ones. It's a glorified straight path.

I don't know why this theatre has so many paintings, but they add to the ambience, I suppose.

Oops! Story time!

Who could have done such a thing?
What could something so evil even bring?

My husband, my darling husband is trapped behind the beams...
Could that cry be his everlasting screams?

Probably not, since Sirius was around to soul murder Team Meteor grunts. Unless this is set after the events of Pokemon Reborn?

What am I to do without my darling husband? But who? Who would do such a thing?
The pride of this town lies within Wispy Tower. Our life ambition!
And now here we lie into complete submission.

But afar! I see a figure in the cloak!

Who are you? Could you be the one behind all this?
Or has my judgment finally become amiss?

You can kind of tell where lines needed to be added so everything rhymes.

Ah... but this is a face that is not quite clear.

Yet she gives off an aura that instills fear.

Wispy Tower is no more. Those who live here will no longer live with the beacon they so lovingly placed.
Instead they shall endure pain that no other person has faced.

I'm using Marianette as the profile image because that's a big unexpected twist! It isn't actually her, I just don't have a placeholder.

But why I implore you?

No reason you need, for that would bore you.
In fact, the most I will do is ignore you.
I shall depart with my task successful.
And leave a woman who is no longer forgetful.
Remember me, the one who destroyed you.
Let all of your rushing emotions continue to void through.
For this isn't the end, but merely the beginning.
For I will be the last one who is grinning.
Goodbye, Narcissa.

Aside

I don't want to bash too hard for the author trying to get the play to rhyme, but normal dialogue would probably be better here.

But no longer... This shall be the last time.
For we shall purify our town of their grime.
And enact an ordinance of isolation. One that will ward away any outsider who dares enter our town.
Forever!

Follow the lit torch, it's really simple.

Doing it correctly will change the layout of the room.

I'm warped out here. Find the torch.

Keep doing this, and you will eventually get kidnapped.

The day that changed everything? I almost forget myself... It was so long ago.
Will you come back to dry my tears after a long night's grief?
Will you tell me I'll be okay for hours, or will you be brief?
None can say... An ordinance of mistakes. That's all I enacted. Nothing more, nothing less.

Narcissa, there's someone at the door.

What is it? A visitor you say? Bring them in. I'll deal with them accordingly.

Arceus isn't the only foreigner involved in the play.

I came to stop you from acting this way.

And why should I listen to the likes of you?
Perhaps you believe your values have the weight of two?
Nothing you say shall change my way.
No matter what you say.

Don't you think that's extreme? Not even a little bit?
Hehe...

Stop laughing, you're breaking the immersion!

Extreme it may be, it is necessary for survival.

There's nothing survival about it! I won't leave until you change your mind!

Is that how it is then? If you want to change my mind, then fight for it.

We will see who is victorious! We shall see who is in the right!
Only then will we put this problem to rest.
A sample of your strength to the test.
But who will be your warrior? The one you hold so high?
The one to make sure this way of thinking shall die.

A warrior who will bash you down that it will make shivers flow through your skin!
Just wait, for they almost arrive!
The one that will surely thrive!

She got the bashing part right. Oh wait, poo poo!! That's my cue.
I'm still loving around in the gym, trying hard to get through!

Presumably because you battling her first will delay my badge collecting.

I've trained hard for this day... and you're going to ruin all that training with just one battle.

Mmhmm.

Listen, I appreciate you as a friend, but this is where I draw the line. Only one of us can get to Narcissa, and that one is going to be me whether you like it or not!

So be it.

It's a Prankster Sableye, with Confuse Ray and Recover. It's as annoying as it sounds.

Uh oh.

That was slightly messy, but only one of us has a priority attack. (It's not Ren)

Arcanine cannot survive a Huge Power boosted Dig.

Vibrava can't really take Facade.

Well isn't this just peachy. Of course Greninja has Protean.

Darkness Lord has really good special defense, at least. I would love to have Scald.

Trevor basically one shots Cacturne, but it gets off a pretty strong grass move in retaliation. Ren has nothing else.

I don't really care.

Yes yes, you're a failure, but the centre stage needs me.
It's my destiny as a child celebrity!

Wait poo poo, what have you done Jan!

All those years spent becoming stronger... Were for nothing? I've seen what you've done for this town, Arceus. The moment I walked through the gate and into this town... I noticed something significantly different. Not everything's fixed, but I can feel the will to change. That's something I've never been able to accomplish myself.

I'll patronise him.

...There's no way you actually mean that.

drat it. He saw right through my ploy.

What, you think I'm some kind of joke?! I couldn't defeat you... So what makes you think I'd stand a chance against Narcissa?

So you go, Arceus. You go do what you do best. Just try and defeat Narcissa. Let's see how far you get. I won't be watching.

Sorry, but like I said earlier:

quote:

I don't really care.

It still stands. I also lost a relationship point with Ren for answering yes.

Urgh.

It's something we all want, but fear. Why is that I wonder? Is it because we fear what might no longer be the case? Do we fear the consequences it may have on us personally? Or maybe how our family and friends will be affected. But no matter how much we fear it, we cannot run away. In fact, we must embrace it, because that's when we will truly be free!

It's time.

She is woefully unprepared for the onslaught.

Narcissa's field effect is a real doozy. It powers up Ghost Type moves by 30%, but the real issue is that they now super effectively hurt Normal types. It's the field I exploited against Marianette. There's lots of weird little gimmicks with it, like nerfing Dark type damage, because uh, it does? It also ups Night Shade damage and doubles Ominous Wind's secondary effect. Will-o-Wisp is now 90% accuracy. Spite drains more PP than usual, though this was nerfed in successive versions because it used to drain your PP to 0.

But here's the thing. Just as I could corrupt Marianette's Field, I can purify this one.

This fight is now on my terms. Volbeat has Prankster to set up Flash, and is at a low level so Rotom one-shots it. I'm playing in set mode, so I need a free switch.

Everything has been leading up to this.

Narcissa is completely screwed.

Using the TM I conveniently got earlier (though it's a possible level up move for Sawsbuck, albeit outside the cap), I roll a Normal type move. Normal now hits Ghost for super effective damage.

This is where things get interesting. Special Normal type moves are upped 50%. A further 50% buff is given specifically to Judgement. Sawsbuck has +1 Special Attack, as well as STAB.

It doesn't matter that Sawsbuck only has base 60 special attack, because every other buff is carrying it so much.

Chandelure would be really lovely with a boosted base 145 Special Attack stat. Interesting factoid: I'm lead to believe that this is the same Chandelure who soul-murdered Eclipse.

Buffs will not save you if you don't move first.
Hamfisted rhyming is kind of the worst.

Mimikyu is actually a real thorn in my side, since Fairy moves are also increased by the field, and Play Rough hurts.

But the real issue is it has a turn of invulnerability.

:cripes: The AI doesn't realise that this was its only chance.

Oh well.

Dark is also weak to Normal under this field. Just guess how this goes.

Too bad Narcissa invested nothing in Mismagius' speed stat, she might have stood a chance.

Dusclops has really good base defenses, and Eviolite to boost them another 50%. It also has Rest, but can spam Night Shade to put offensive pressure onto you. And its ability drains double PP when you attack it. Against a normal opponent, it would take way too long to die.

Bamb'o is not an ordinary opponent.

And more importantly, terrible wordplay skills!

Slowly, the monetary reward is getting better. Too bad this is now irrelevant because I have exploits.

Goldenleaf Town has fallen, and the world of peace, love, and happiness have won! The world has missed us. This ordinance of isolation is over!

:toot:

We were having a moment.

Because she folds really badly on the Holy Field. Trevor could have just spammed Facade and easily won, but if something's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

Narcissa may claim to not be a dictator, but she kind of is. I see through her lies.

So what...? We're just going to treat these outsiders with respect now?! After everything?? Did you forget what they did to us?

Nothing ever happened to you. You were just born into someone else's sorrow. And then you use it as an excuse to be a hateful, xenophobic, miserable girl.

I don't know how old Sariah is meant to be, so I have no idea how much bearing this statement has over all the other townspeople.

Wh-What? No, that's not- That's not what I meant! I want to avenge my fallen brethren!

The past is the past. It cannot be changed no matter how much you cry, grief [sic (unless she's talking about Minecraft griefing, a common practice among xenophobes, I hear)], or scream. Instead of living it, let's build a future that our loved ones would be proud of!

Dear god will I even speak to Sariah ever again? Can I just leave, since I really have no reason to be here?

Urgh... fine, but I'm not going to like it.

And defeating prejudice is as simple as that! I may have cut... some lines of dialogue.

Ah, I still ostensibly have a plot to follow.

You have no idea how valuable badges are to Arceus. None.

!!!
A... good TM? One that isn't super narrow in use?! Early (well, relatively)?

Meanwhile...

The void is apparently bright pink.

Basculin and Spook2004 are the dream team.

Oh good, it's everyone else who has been sucked into portals. Pictured are the Team Xen admin Zetta and Professor Jenner.

This is Geara talking about Jenner and Zetta's absence. Apparently Madame X has thermal vision, or some other useful tracking ability. Whatever it is, it's not cross-dimensional.

Okay, so Dusclops, Crescent and Nim (think psychic lady who warped Arceus to another dimension, for the sole purpose of having an advantage in battle) all have access to this dimension.

I'm sure the encounter will end well.

A little.

Distressed at his inability to beat xenophobia, when literally all it took was a performance, Ren exits the theatre, in yet another meanwhile scene (which don't really ever happen in the real games).

What am I supposed to do now? Everything I worked for was just shattered into a million pieces. I just feel so... lost.

I struggle to empathise at all with him.

I'm just as clueless as you are.

And that concludes this Episode!

Today's Shiny:

The canon shiny makes sense because there's a beach with black sand in the game. I'm not too sure about this.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

While all the memorisation required to understand the fields is stupid, the fact that the game gives you the tools to pull the rug out from under your enemy and fight on your own terms seems cool.

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
Ah, good update as usual, what with slapping Narcissa with a deer.

Also, I don’t know if this is just me theorizing too much or not, but Hawaii does, in fact, have a beach with red sand. Could be a nod to that.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The rhyming is giving me flashbacks to the I Fell From Grace LP.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Oh good, I think the game is trying to set up Ren turning to the dark side out of spite, what with his incessant whining about how he wasn't the one to change Goldenleaf.

Meanwhile, it's always fun to see bullshit field effects turned in your favor. Great update as always, PD.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Just caught up with this LP, and my immediate takeaway from this update is... Ren isn't gonna go the way of Fern from Pokemon Reborn over this, is he? At least Ren isn't nearly as big of a douche as Fern was, but I have a feeling that's where this is going.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
You know, that wasn't actually a bad way to give some backstory. The rhyming is probably unnecessary, as I don't think a play actually has to rhyme, but...
I'm also a bit surprised that the initial reason for the isolationism and xenophobia isn't entirely stupid. And it neatly ties into the Giratina Torture Basement subplot in its own way. If this was Reborn, your cheesing out the Field Effect would've probably got you slapped, or Narcissa would've somehow voided the fight or something, huh :v:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Minus Green posted:

Just caught up with this LP, and my immediate takeaway from this update is... Ren isn't gonna go the way of Fern from Pokemon Reborn over this, is he? At least Ren isn't nearly as big of a douche as Fern was, but I have a feeling that's where this is going.

Fern's reason for joining the evil brigade was pretty much just "Eh why not". Ren actually looks to have a reason, lovely as it may be.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I can't believe they just give you Nature Power to play around with the large amount of fields and use it to your advantage against gym leaders.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Supremezero posted:

Fern's reason for joining the evil brigade was pretty much just "Eh why not". Ren actually looks to have a reason, lovely as it may be.

Alternately it's because Fern is spiteful because he somehow knows he isn't the hero anymore, but that entire storyline is incredibly stupid and backloaded so in practice it's "eh why not". Also by the time Fern went off to become a terrorist he'd also been incredibly lovely for 90% of the extant game, so the stupid and backloaded PARALLEL TIMELINES storyline falls even more flat because we only know Fern as that lovely rear end in a top hat.

Dybael
Jul 11, 2017

Black Robe posted:

The rhyming is giving me flashbacks to the I Fell From Grace LP.

Oh good, I'm not the only one. At least the rhyming kind of sort of makes sense here? Combined with the cardboard standee props it's almost charming, even.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Omnicrom posted:

Alternately it's because Fern is spiteful because he somehow knows he isn't the hero anymore, but that entire storyline is incredibly stupid and backloaded so in practice it's "eh why not". Also by the time Fern went off to become a terrorist he'd also been incredibly lovely for 90% of the extant game, so the stupid and backloaded PARALLEL TIMELINES storyline falls even more flat because we only know Fern as that lovely rear end in a top hat.

Not only that, but said plot point is obfuscated behind a riddle-like bit of dialogue that you'd have to play back and analyse to get any sort of meaning from. So, unless you're an obsessive about Hidden Reborn Lore, you're probably not going to know any of this.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Epicmissingno posted:

Not only that, but said plot point is obfuscated behind a riddle-like bit of dialogue that you'd have to play back and analyse to get any sort of meaning from. So, unless you're an obsessive about Hidden Reborn Lore, you're probably not going to know any of this.

Which is another point for Rejuvenation, we are seeing Ren turning into a vindictive loser right in front of us. Fern's assholery came out of the blue with no warning and the explanation, such as it was, is a random dump of crappy text in a book some 70 hours after Fern laughed at a real life suicide victim.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Red sand is also a thing but it's usually more desert/wasteland than beach.

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

krisslanza posted:

You know, that wasn't actually a bad way to give some backstory. The rhyming is probably unnecessary, as I don't think a play actually has to rhyme, but...
I'm also a bit surprised that the initial reason for the isolationism and xenophobia isn't entirely stupid. And it neatly ties into the Giratina Torture Basement subplot in its own way. If this was Reborn, your cheesing out the Field Effect would've probably got you slapped, or Narcissa would've somehow voided the fight or something, huh :v:

Yeah, it's kinda annoying how changing the Grassy Field in the Noel gym battle to Corrosive or Burning lowers Laura's arbitrary Relationship Points. Other than that, you don't really get penalized for taking advantage of the field in Reborn. Heck, one of the people who works on the game completely cheesed the fight against Blake just by using Grassy Terrain, turning it into Burning Field, and melting all his Pokemon into nothingness.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

I'm just loosing my poo poo over imaging the season deer unleashing it's wrath upon her team like some kind of angry god

Funny thing I noticed about the poem is that the first lines in some of the couplets are written in iambic pentameter. It probably wasn't on purpose, considering the rest aren't consistent. Oddly it did remind me of how Shakespeare incorporated sonnets into his plays, but I sincerely doubt there's any connection.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Lyumia posted:

I'm just loosing my poo poo over imaging the season deer unleashing it's wrath upon her team like some kind of angry god

:perfect:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

F14m3rz posted:

Yeah, it's kinda annoying how changing the Grassy Field in the Noel gym battle to Corrosive or Burning lowers Laura's arbitrary Relationship Points. Other than that, you don't really get penalized for taking advantage of the field in Reborn. Heck, one of the people who works on the game completely cheesed the fight against Blake just by using Grassy Terrain, turning it into Burning Field, and melting all his Pokemon into nothingness.

Has the arbitrary Relationship Point system in any of these fanmade Pokemon games actually ever DONE anything?

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Lyumia posted:

Good god.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

krisslanza posted:

Has the arbitrary Relationship Point system in any of these fanmade Pokemon games actually ever DONE anything?

It's been a while since I saw this and can't remember the source. But I remember seeing somewhere that the final purpose of the relationship points in Reborn is to unlock postgame sidequests faster. (Which would imply that there's a workaround in case you didn't meet whatever the benchmarks were).

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

krisslanza posted:

There's a couple vague consequences of Relationship Points at this stage of the game, yeah.
From what I've seen, it affects how future interactions with certain characters will go. Like that one bit in Titania's gym where having a positive or negative relationship with her determines whether you'll gain or lose Relationship Points whether you say yes or no to trusting her or not; if she's positive with you and you say you trust her, you gain points, but if she's negative with you and say you do, then they lower (vice versa for both for saying no).
Then there's that thing I mentioned with Shade and Anna's Relationship Points, and how they're directly intertwined with what routes you go through.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

While all the memorisation required to understand the fields is stupid, the fact that the game gives you the tools to pull the rug out from under your enemy and fight on your own terms seems cool.
I think at this stage in Reborn you were sitll lacking the tools to do much with the field effects. And certainly nothing on the level of turning Season Deer into the Arbiter of Judgement.

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

Zereth posted:

I think at this stage in Reborn you were sitll lacking the tools to do much with the field effects. And certainly nothing on the level of turning Season Deer into the Arbiter of Judgement.

Like with Shelly, the most you could hope for is getting a Cherrim and Castform with Sunny Day and Weather Ball, have the former use SD to cancel out Illumise's Prankster Rain Dance with the Rainbow Field Effect, then have the latter use a rainbow-charged WB to take out Illumise on the same turn, rinse and repeat for every other enemy, which requires a lot of luck.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
In a way, Ren strikes me as more annoying than Fern - rather than be upfront about being a jackass, he's just whining and moping about how he wasn't the Super Special Protagonist, that woe is him, now that we fixed the racist town his life has no meaning or whatever, and using all that as an excuse to (most likely since these fangames seem to have the subtlety of a ton of bricks) turn to the daaaark side and get revenge on Arceus.

At the least, it'll make continually beating the snot out of him amusing.

Verant fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 22, 2019

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Being able to flip around field effects like that was neat, I'll say. It's a bit convoluted in practice (do you even have in-game information on this field available at this point?) but it's better than having it set up only in the opponent's favor and you having to chip through the armor to find what works - instead, you can switch it around and unleash the wrath of God in full force. Being a bit convoluted also makes more sense as to why it would be a thing at all, rather than "you set up a gym right next to a cave named after monsters that can negate the attacks of your specialty type", though I'll leave whether that's a worthy sacrifice as a question to the viewer.

Storywise it wasn't awwwwwwwful. I mean, Ren's still a moron, but imo I'm on the "better than Fern" side (...not that it's a huge accomplishment).

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

LiefKatano posted:

(do you even have in-game information on this field available at this point?)
I wouldn't know, since I haven't gotten past Goldenleaf Cave, but they do provide a text file with all the field effects listed with the game. So if you wanted to learn, say, what you could do to change the Haunted Field around...

quote:

The following moves can turn this field into a Blessed Field:
Flash Judgement Origin Pulse Seed Flare
Sacred Fire Dazzling Gleam Purify
You could find that information while you're right in the middle of fighting if you wanted to.

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Honestly, it’s better that way because the alternative is having to do obtuse quests to find the info in game.

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

So after doing some looking, it turns out that you can overturn the egg glitch (the thing that prevented you from getting that Seviper egg) by temporarily switching the Scripts file in the Data folder with the Debug Scripts file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Pugnacious Doggie posted:

Today's Shiny:

The canon shiny makes sense because there's a beach with black sand in the game. I'm not too sure about this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Sand_Beach
:colbert: