Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Tonight was a drat struggle. Couldn't really get anything down, not sure if that's because I haven't drawn in days or what.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

syntaxrigger posted:

This post inspired me, thanks. Not a drawing but posting anyways :dealwithit:

Ready for some fool to catch dem hands

Junk in the trunk.

I'm sorry I completely forgot to respond to this, this loving rules and I'd love to have a fightin' mushroom man around to protect me.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Angrymog posted:

Cheated by adding some lemon yellow for greenary

Wow I love the colours on the wings. It looks like it's made of glass.

Hang in there, Shinmera, your pics are always so expressive! I love em.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Daniel Smith watercolors. Yay or nay?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

Daniel Smith watercolors. Yay or nay?

Yay.

Carth Dookie posted:

I couldn't help myself. I had to test the Holbein and Daniel Smith side by side on the same paper. Photographed in more natural light too.

Holbein colours on the left, Daniel Smith on the right. Alizarin crimson and cobalt blue are the only true 1 to 1 comparisons. Holbein vermilion hue is against Daniel Smith organic vermilion, and Holbein sap green is compared against Daniel smith deep sap green (with a blue tint I think).

Both papers are cold pressed 300g. The spiral pad is the Saunders Waterford, the glued pad is arches.

General observations regardless of paper: Holbein paint is smoother and is easier to wash more flatly. Daniel Smith is darker, deeper, more granulated and more prone to displaying brush strokes. This does not surprise me. Holbein claims to be the finest ground pigment available and compared to Daniel Smith at least, this seems true.

The white speckling I observed on the Saunders Waterford paper appears to apply regardless of paint. It appears to be caused by the paper:

Since I had the chance, I compared the paints against themselves like so:

Holbein:

Daniel Smith:

General differences in the paper:

The paints dried lighter on the Saunders Waterford paper, and more inclined to dry with white speckling in it. They did dry more uniformly in colour, making the washes look flatter. Also noticeable was how flat the paper was once naturally dried. A useful property in a pad since I won't be able to tape it down if painting out and about. The arches paper by comparison dried darker, generally revealed more brush strokes and dark grain in the pigments, even in the Holbein colours. It also tended to buckle and curl very easily and didn't dry flat. I believe the Waterford saunders is generally slightly rougher and sturdier. Also interesting is that once dried, the edge of the paint presented a generally sharper line on the arches paper.

I think I'm going to like both for different things. Should be interesting when I do some actual painting on the Saunders paper. Hopefully I'll find some time this weekend.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

You rule. Thank you.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Bee friend. Yellow Sophie and Dioxazine purple

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

I wanna pet that bee.

Got carried away and did a second round of this because I can be easily guilted into drawing more.

Made an Odin.

I'm not 100% sure what's going on here, but I love the color scheme. Seems quite fetal!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I love how baffled Furiosa is by the croc

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

C is for cat, and what were supposed to be 20 minute studies. Bagpuss is just an estimate becuase I was watching a film at the same time.

In retrospect, as I don't have a bright pink in my water colour palette, I should have gone straight in with the fluorescent ink.

Following up from a discussion in the serious art threat, these three are the same tutorial done on three different papers, with Cotman paints on the left, and Sennelier on the right. Scans have had photoshop's auto levels applied to them.

Aldi multi-media paper; so cheap it won't even commit to being acid free.

Bockingford, a professional cellulose paper.

Daler Rowney's Prestige paper, 100% cotton.

The one I had the most problems with was the Bockingford, I had to do the Sennelier twice as the first wash ran wierdly (too much water properly), I lost control of the Carmine and it went for a wander up the left hand side into the Ultramarine, and there's some massive blooms in the water.

My thinking is that I was taking extra care with the Aldi because I was expecting it to behave badly, but expected the bockingford to just work. I'm also having issues with the sketchbook I'm using for the alphabet - that's a Hannehule one, and it really doesn't like having colours dropped into other colours when they're wet, or with the expection of big washes like with the anchor, having anything be done to wet paint on it at all.

Colourwise, I should have gone in harder on the carmine with the senneliers on almost all of them.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Where are the six characters coming from? Do you choose six or are they meant to be assigned to you?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Drawin' chickins erry year

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Where are the six characters coming from? Do you choose six or are they meant to be assigned to you?

Assigned. I posted the blank template on Facebook and Instagram and asked friends what they wanted to see.

This is the cutest drat thing

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Dark Fantasy theme

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hellbeard posted:

Dark Fantasy theme

Love this feel

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Hellbeard posted:

Dark Fantasy theme

Oh man. I TOO love this feel. I want to read stories about this place and be good enough to make fan art. :3

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

The graffiti on the building takes it to the next level of believeability. Someone lived there, someone passed through, someone marked their territory. It's so hard to nail down a sense of place and you did it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Yeah, it's pleasingly bleak.

D is for Dungeons and doggos. (Also slime which is the thing for today's april colours prompt)

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Hellbeard posted:

Dark Fantasy theme

If I can ask, how long did you work on this?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Thank you very much for the thoughtful comments and compliments. If anyone wants to riff on the subject that's really cool in my opinion.

syntaxrigger posted:

If I can ask, how long did you work on this?

I'm not sure exactly but I guess around 8-10 hours?
I'm really slow.

For this drawing I made some early basic construction, like a general layout and then start dialing in the details. As I work and go over each area I try to imagine what I might find there sort of like taking a walk and inspecting the details like Sherlock Holmes that sees how an object ends up where it is. After each session I look over the drawing and try to think what will improve it and add to it. That's how I came up with the graffiti and also the slope in the "road" because it makes more sense for the layout to not be flat.

What helped me is working on a single layer for the lineart and then the greyscale because I could quickly erase things and then draw over them to achieve an overlapping effect that's good for giving the feel of clutter or accumulation of detritus.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Been watching a lot of my friends play dark souls over discord lately so its been on my mind a lot.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The letter E and a pop of colour.

In retrospect I should have masked the egg or the background to help with doing those big* washes neatly.

* Not that big really, book is only A6

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

rapid fire sketch round tonight.

When you tell yourself you're just going to play for fun but then get salty within seconds.

woomy_irl

Yukari squid

Felt I had to draw a mean girl

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 19, 2020

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Did a redraw of a GDQ drawing I did in 2017 that I did again for their GDQ thing this weekend.

Old:

New:

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

I tried it again too, with better paper. Yours are still way better than mine but I'm a lot happier than with the last one I did.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Entenzahn posted:

I tried it again too, with better paper. Yours are still way better than mine but I'm a lot happier than with the last one I did.

Looks much better. If you'd taped it up (I use masking tape rather than anything special) you probably could have gotten the wash smoother because you wouldn't have to keep inside the lines.

I like that you managed to get really dark colours in the middle one; I struggled with that.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 21, 2020

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Did the meme a second time

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

How not to ruin a drawing by drawing?
I think I'll do greyscale like before, but not sure it's the best treatment.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Really happy with how this one came out.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

my buddy Superfly posted:

Really happy with how this one came out.

Yeah, looks really good, I'm impressed!

Did a stream session tonight:

Also been watching the FF7 remake. Shoulda really made Tifa buff.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Uhhhh... hi?

I was drawing some figures. Highlights:

And then immediately afterwards, I guess I just really had to draw some creepy swole bros??

Sorry. Here's a cat I drew last week:

Also

Hellbeard posted:

Didn't know what to draw, so I drew this

I loving love this. She reminds me of Amy Adams.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Uhhhh... hi?

I was drawing some figures. Highlights:

And then immediately afterwards, I guess I just really had to draw some creepy swole bros??

Sorry. Here's a cat I drew last week:

Also

I loving love this. She reminds me of Amy Adams.

Cool! Thank you. I like the characterization of the faces you drew and the cat looks cute too.

I did an improvement(I think) -

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Hellbeard posted:

Cool! Thank you. I like the characterization of the faces you drew and the cat looks cute too.

I did an improvement(I think) -

That is better. One thing I still notice is that the ear is too far up. It depends on the person, but a good general measure I use is that the top edge of the ear should about line up with the eyelid.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Shinmera posted:

That is better. One thing I still notice is that the ear is too far up. It depends on the person, but a good general measure I use is that the top edge of the ear should about line up with the eyelid.

You're right! Thanks.

Edit: update- fixed the ear.

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 23, 2020

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Been playing a lot of Sekiro and eating a lot of pizza lately.

Something off about her head. Not sure what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

The Halogens posted:

Been playing a lot of Sekiro and eating a lot of pizza lately.

This is great, you should feel great for making it.