Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

depression and anxiety are sincerely some of the biggest problems facing decent folk in the battle against evils who do not have any problems at all due to channeling a searing hot hatred that burns off mortal disorders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of anxiety and depression I'm feeling like a garbage human being tonight and I know I'm not but I'm so loving angry because it's not fair that so many aspects of society have come together to make me feel like I need to be "perfect" and never be human or make capricious but fun and ultimately harmless decisions or how people make me feel like my work is super valuable and special until it comes time to loving pay me but also I can't get mad because there's no money in helping people and that's not their fault and our society is poo poo and God damnit.

Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Did I seriously miss the little Golden Book "The Happy Little Authoritarian Empire"?
What in the everloving gently caress makes people look at authoritarian states and go 'Awwwww yeah, gotta git me some of that good poo poo'?
You'd think this would be a self-solving problem. But nope. Humanity's collective rear end is apparently always agape and ready to be hosed by a tyrant's giant dick at all times.
I mean I guess I should be happy that we'll all likely be killed by the environment at this point if this is the peak of human evolution.

I also struggle with depression. And anxiety. And executive dysfunction. And crippling conflict aversion.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 27, 2019

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

CarlCX posted:

My entire biological family works in government contracting and are giving direct aid to ICE and I have recently realized nothing I can possibly do with my life will right the balance of evil we have inflicted upon the world.
You are not your family and you are not your or their sins. You are you, and if you're actively putting good in the world then you're doing a loving great job of trying to balance this bad world out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I recently saw a wonderful documentary about Climate Change that very deliberately took the tack of,"We know it's a huge loving problem, but thinking that causes us to shut down and do nothing so let's look at some of the things we CAN do and also some of the potential solutions available not only right now but for quite some time" and I gotta tell you it was incredibly refreshing and inspiring.

I think the same outlook is very healthy on a variety of subjects. It's easy to get bogged down in how lovely things are (and it is important to acknowledge when things are lovely too!) but sometimes it gets a bit overwhelming and leaves people feeling utterly miserable. Exploring any number of things that can be done right now, even if very small or minor, is an important and healthy thing to do for your mind and can help to stop you from feeling like the task is impossible/things are never gonna get better.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

Did I seriously miss the little Golden Book "The Happy Little Authoritarian Empire"?
What in the everloving gently caress makes people look at authoritarian states and go 'Awwwww yeah, gotta git me some of that good poo poo'?
You'd think this would be a self-solving problem. But nope. Humanity's collective rear end is apparently always agape and ready to be hosed by a tyrant's giant dick at all times.
I mean I guess I should be happy that we'll all likely be killed by the environment at this point if this is the peak of human evolution.

I also struggle with depression. And anxiety. And executive dysfunction. And crippling conflict aversion.
people want Others to get hosed. white rural american idiots are happy to get hurt by trump as long as gays and minorities are getting hosed worse

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

ChrisBTY posted:

Comfort. It's so much easier to be comfortable and ignorant than it is to put the effort in to change and be happy.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
So what is PSP’s opinion on the Dina Hashem joke controversy?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

fart blood posted:

So what is PSP’s opinion on the Dina Hashem joke controversy?

Supposedly that rapper beat up his pregnant girlfriend and a gay man. If so gently caress him.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

stand-up is too exhausting to really follow after the mid-2000s. there's always something like this. this time it's fine because the joke isn't actually built on shock value or disdain for a dead person or anything like that. the punchline is decent and the dead guy wasn't besmirched at all. maybe it's kind of a stale topic

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Spikeguy posted:

Supposedly that rapper beat up his pregnant girlfriend and a gay man. If so gently caress him.

Just another case of people who don’t understand what comedy is supposed to be. Oh well. Throw it on the pile.

Edit: not you, I mean the general backlash.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if the joke was absurdist and incredibly rude i would understand getting mad, if you personally knew the man who died. for example, and i'll use one that does hit close to home for people around here, if the joke was more like this: owen fart farted all the way down when he was falling from the ceiling, like this. *sings the word "toot" to the tune of jingle bells* -- then i would probably be fine with the joker getting hassled a little in the sense that i generally do not have a strong opinion about that many things. i would logically understand it. but even then there would still have to be a line that would eventually signal the harassment as going too far.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

however, probably, if someone made a joke about my dead mommy and a whole room of people laughed at it i would get really red-faced and bothered. not necessarily enraged but probably very upset. and maybe friends are kind of like that as well? but i don't know.

sorry about posting a lot of new replies. i'm going to add more to this one.

Cavauro posted:

there would still have to be a line that would eventually signal the harassment as going too far.

When I said this I didn't mean for it to be thought of and executed specifically as harassment. it would be ridicule and general 'backlash'. harassment by definition is going too far in almost every case, unless the person is an ice cop nazi.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 27, 2019

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cavauro posted:

...unless the person is an ice cop nazi.

Again, gently caress ICE

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The way I like to think about these things is that every small step towards equality always has massive, disproportionate backlash and pushback, but people tend to gain ground, however small it might be, every time. Unfortunately this is only true for rich, stable countries and every time the USA and Western Europe start being shits they send African/Asian/Latin American/Eastern European into disarray they might not be able to recover from.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Always remember to piss in the mouth of any ICE agents you may know

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Dangerous Person posted:

What if that’s their thing?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

what if instead i just give every ice agent i see a ganso bomb onto exposed concrete

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
heard the joke; was good

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

thanks to whatever wrestlegoon posted that one-pot salmon recipe a while ago, it’s one of the best effort:result ratio meals i know of

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
post it again please!!!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5925/onepan-salmon-with-roast-asparagus

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Dangerous Person posted:

why would someone know an ICE agent in the first place

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Dias posted:

The way I like to think about these things is that every small step towards equality always has massive, disproportionate backlash and pushback, but people tend to gain ground, however small it might be, every time.

Germany had movies with gay couples treated as normal human beings in the 1930s. They also had a library full of medical research on trans people and transitioning. Those were some of the first degenerative arts that the Nazis made a big public show of torching. After the Nazis were defeated those positive attitudes towards LGBT people took quite a while to return.

Progress, like most things to improve our lives, has to be worked for. Anything that can be worked for can be worked against. It's a tug of war and if effort isn't put in on the side of progress then the side of progress loses.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

joey ryan is a pimple on the rear end of wrestling

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Rescue I got Tracker from: Hey you wanna see one of her puppies?

Cath: -wondering how many times she can say yes before they hang up.- That would be lovely.

Lookit that freaking face.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

its ears are so big :3:

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

jesus WEP posted:

its ears are so big :3:

That baby's gonna be a monster if she grows into them.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

what kind of a dog is it?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

jesus WEP posted:

what kind of a dog is it?

A Great Dane, ala Scooby Doo or Marmaduke.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

in less good dog news some poor pupper has been barking for about 8 hours straight. it’s 1am here and i took a walk to see if i could find where it is - looks like it’s in a back yard and the people aren’t home :smith:

lovely dog owners make me so mad

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
it looks like William Regal the dog

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I wish I didn't hate myself.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Punch McLightning posted:

I wish I didn't hate myself.

Me too. Love you

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Low Desert Punk posted:

why would someone know an ICE agent in the first place

I dunno but if you find yourself in that situation you know what to do

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've decided that I like Portland (specifically North Portland) and I think I'm going to move here.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

LividLiquid posted:

I've decided that I like Portland (specifically North Portland) and I think I'm going to move here.

It's got a pretty good energy about it yeah. Something to think about, if the rent there is not affordable then check out Vancouver WA. Last time I was there it was pretty decent and lots of places didn't give a gently caress about weed.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

LividLiquid posted:

bring money.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

It's got a pretty good energy about it yeah. Something to think about, if the rent there is not affordable then check out Vancouver WA. Last time I was there it was pretty decent and lots of places didn't give a gently caress about weed.

I know two people who lived in Vancouver. One absolutely loved it and wished they still lived there, the other hated it with a burning passion and said it was the most revolting and miserable place they'd ever been in. It was kind of remarkable just how different their perspectives were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

There are two Vancouvers on the west coast that are really close together. One is in Washington, America and the other is in British Columbia, Canada. Americans usually mean the Canadian one when they talk about Vancouver. I have been to both and they are fairly different cities.

e: I'd probably rather live in the Canadian one than the American one because the Canadian one is a full sized city complete with everything that entails, and the American one is a suburb of a city in a different state.