Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

They should let George Lucas take another shot. He’s got so many ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

TheMightyBoops posted:

They should let George Lucas take another shot. He’s got so many ideas.

he would be better than everyone else working on star wars right now

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he would be better than everyone else working on star wars right now

Oh I forgot there’s like a billion tv shows.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sorry nowadays it's pronounced Jatz.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ultimately i think, nicholson actually being invested and having a set idea in mind is what doomed her to a miserable experience lol. as hosed up as that is to say about a 6000 dollar experience its clear that they just expected people to roll up and do whatever their phone told them at any given time, and any 'choice' was in where they chose to wander to arbitrarily at any given time of day. see also the actors being visibly confused when shes actually trying to roleplay back at them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

ultimately i think, nicholson actually being invested and having a set idea in mind is what doomed her to a miserable experience lol. as hosed up as that is to say about a 6000 dollar experience its clear that they just expected people to roll up and do whatever their phone told them at any given time, and any 'choice' was in where they chose to wander to arbitrarily at any given time of day. see also the actors being visibly confused when shes actually trying to roleplay back at them.

i think if what's being advertised and what's being shown on your app thing is apparently a functional game, but you don't actually end up participating in it despite your best efforts, it's pretty reasonable to feel like your time and $6000 were wasted

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycophobia posted:

i think if what's being advertised and what's being shown on your app thing is apparently a functional game, but you don't actually end up participating in it despite your best efforts, it's pretty reasonable to feel like your time and $6000 were wasted

oh to be clear i 100% agree this isnt me defending disney at all lol its more just 'its funny that this seems designed to punish the people who expect it to actually be good'

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

luke looking like the tall man from phantasm lol

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just started watching the Jenny video and got 6 minutes in when she mentioned "a third party survey company called Swagbucks" and thought "haha funny joke" but then she kept going and I realized oh, that's not a joke, that's real...

...gently caress man, what is this world?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

swagbucks is one of those online companies that pays you 10 cents per survey but makes you answer another survey first to make sure you fit what that survey wants and the first survey takes like ten minutes and if you dont fit what the actual survey wants you just get kicked out and get no money. its one of the scummiest businesses on earth despite not actually causing material harm

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

The Saddest Rhino posted:

First order more like empire 2

Some things take practice. I'm sure they'll nail it next time- Third Reich's the charm

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Jenny’s Star Wars Hotel video just dropped out of nowhere. 4 hours!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0CpOYZZZW4

This is magical. I, for one, am glad that the 3-6 grand per night themed hotel experience turned out to be a massive, barely taped-together scam. Like, no poo poo, parts of Evermore felt like they had more ambition behind them.

I will never not laugh whenever I'm reminded that the procedure in the event of a fire was to hide in the closet.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 19, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Uh, it's a space closet.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A closet of shame, mind.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also LOL at the size of the room an average family of four got to cram themselves into. I know Disney People will pay it which makes it funnier. You don't even get Disney+ on the TV! You need a subscription!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

Also LOL at the size of the room an average family of four got to cram themselves into. I know Disney People will pay it which makes it funnier. You don't even get Disney+ on the TV! You need a subscription!

Jenny's breakdown at the end of how absurdly desperate disney's parks have become at nickle-and-diming visitors for everything was so bleak, lol. Like, yeah they've always been a cutthroat business at heart but that ruthlessness went towards creating theme parks so good that people regard them as magical utopias where they could forget about the ills of the world. Now they want you to buy the loving key to your hotel room, lmao

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

CelticPredator posted:

theres also longer luke and wider than

Hellsing-rear end proportions on this guy

Arc Hammer posted:

Bringing out a classic:

This is basically in Visions. One of the less silly things in that episode.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

Jenny's breakdown at the end of how absurdly desperate disney's parks have become at nickle-and-diming visitors for everything was so bleak, lol. Like, yeah they've always been a cutthroat business at heart but that ruthlessness went towards creating theme parks so good that people regard them as magical utopias where they could forget about the ills of the world. Now they want you to buy the loving key to your hotel room, lmao

I wonder if they're feeling some pressure with the MCU falling off and Star Wars falling to hit big. They invested absurd amounts of money into buying up basically every IP in existence, and while I'd never say they're in danger of financial trouble, I could see them deciding to squeeze every sector of their business in order to hit whatever arbitrary amount of money they've decided is "enough" for that quarter.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jenny Nicholson is so great because she’s a ~professional online content creator and influencer~, and she’s a huge theme park buff who buys 100% into the facade of every themed attraction she visits no matter what, AND she’s a huge Disney person who has been immersed in their whole brand ecosystem seemingly since she was a child, and yet despite all that she’s an extremely normal person who is more than capable of looking at anything she spends money on with a critical eye.

I know the purpose of that segment was not to make herself look better, I think the montage at 3h20m into the video does such an amazing job of demonstrating the problem she manages to avoid. Even ~influencers~ who aren’t intentionally trying to deceive their audience have an almost instinctive drive to gas up the expensive things they film themselves enjoying and downplay criticism. That impulse becomes all the stronger if they have attached themselves to a specific brand. i.e. a Disney Influencer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BizarroAzrael posted:

This is basically in Visions. One of the less silly things in that episode.

So Studio Trigger reads the comedy goldmine for old Star Wars Let's Play threads.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Endorph posted:

swagbucks is one of those online companies that pays you 10 cents per survey but makes you answer another survey first to make sure you fit what that survey wants and the first survey takes like ten minutes and if you dont fit what the actual survey wants you just get kicked out and get no money. its one of the scummiest businesses on earth despite not actually causing material harm

I only know about them from when Danny Gonzalez made fun of the dumb fake ghost hunter guys promoting them. That skit is stuck in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6EU1-QJGhE
It's like 2.45 into the video

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the wookipedia article on marcia lucas is only two paragraphs long

Wookipedia hates the existence of real-world stuff and is often no better than Wikipedia for Star Wars production / behind-the-scenes information. People like Ben Burtt or John Williams barely have articles too.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Wookipedia hates the existence of real-world stuff and is often no better than Wikipedia for Star Wars production / behind-the-scenes information. People like Ben Burtt or John Williams barely have articles too.

On the upside if you want to know what toilets or chocolate are it's got you covered.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Fil5000 posted:

On the upside if you want to know what toilets or chocolate are it's got you covered.

Would you like the canon or legends version of the breasts article

e:

quote:

Breasts were

thank god we had the sense to get rid of them

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 19, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Would you like the canon or legends version of the breasts article

Thank goodness boobs have appeared in the canon.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

aside from her horrendous seating, the funniest bit of jenny nicholson’s video is the revelation that you have to have a pre-existing Disney+ account to use your television

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Spoon

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wookipedia COULD be run by people that know it's absurd. The fact it's not is even funnier.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fil5000 posted:

Wookipedia COULD be run by people that know it's absurd. The fact it's not is even funnier.

The Transformers wiki is massively superior in this regard

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Transformers wiki is massively superior in this regard

I fondly recall a while back there was some drama between the Transformers wiki and Wookiepedia about the latter using the deadname of a trans person rather than his real name, with the Wookiepedia staff arguing for the side of “we feel it is more in keeping with the spirit of our wiki as an encyclopedia of Star Wars information to name them as they were credited in the Star Wars movies” and the Transformers wiki staff arguing for the side of “YOU RUN A WEBSITE ABOUT SPACE WIZARD MOVIES, JUST CALL THEM WHAT THEY LIKE TO BE CALLED YOU STUPID ASSHOLES.”

I am paraphrasing a bit.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I don't even wanna know how the Harry Potter wiki would handle that.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Ariong posted:

I fondly recall a while back there was some drama between the Transformers wiki and Wookiepedia about the latter using the deadname of a trans person rather than his real name, with the Wookiepedia staff arguing for the side of “we feel it is more in keeping with the spirit of our wiki as an encyclopedia of Star Wars information to name them as they were credited in the Star Wars movies” and the Transformers wiki staff arguing for the side of “YOU RUN A WEBSITE ABOUT SPACE WIZARD MOVIES, JUST CALL THEM WHAT THEY LIKE TO BE CALLED YOU STUPID ASSHOLES.”

I am paraphrasing a bit.

nice! I approve. good for the odd turbofans of the magic truck robot cartoons :)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Endorph posted:

it is literally impossible to talk about the sequels without making up better movies in your head

I'm like this but about the hotel itself right now. Like why did they build that dining area with vision-blocking pillars to begin with? It had to be a matter of them grabbing an old design, starting construction, and then someone running in like "gently caress! We need a place for a dinner show!" and everyone shrugging because the dining room was the only spot and it was already locked in with a sub-optimal design, right?

Also, about the First Order story path being broken: what if the issue was that Disney quietly disabled the full First Order story path around the time people made fun of narc'ing Chewbacca out? I know Jenny showed footage of the First Order guy calling out someone in the audience at their event, but that could've been because of that audience member's reputation score with that character. Jenny clearly had some kind of bug where her reputation scores weren't going up with characters in any case. I assume her sister must've encountered something similar, or else they could've done prompts she was being fed instead? I don't see how they'd both encounter completely game breaking bugs completely randomly, unless it was tied to them both prompting a disabled/glitched thing at the same time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

wizard2 posted:

nice! I approve. good for the odd turbofans of the magic truck robot cartoons :)

There are still some poo poo heads in the fandom but by and large it seems decent these days. Of course back in the 80s the cartoon had a fictional country with a name so racist it made Casey Kasem quit the show but that's all in the past now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

There are still some poo poo heads in the fandom but by and large it seems decent these days. Of course back in the 80s the cartoon had a fictional country with a name so racist it made Casey Kasem quit the show but that's all in the past now.

Sadly the same can't really be said for GI Joe. If you come at it more from the comics and basically Larry Hama's intent in general like I do you run into horrible people who mostly remember the cartoon.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Hama seems like a decent guy but yeah, Joe doesn't seem to have had anywhere near as diverse a life beyond the 80s as TF managed

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That's because Transformers are the only good toys ever made. GI Joe toys are boring cookie cutter army guys and gigantic vehicles that fire one missile and take up your whole shelf. Transformers are kickass hyper-engineered puzzles that are also cool jets and tanks AND posable robots.

Lots of people talk about why one brand succeeded and the other faded away and that's all there really is to it.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Fil5000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH2721CEo7o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Skippy McPants posted:

This is magical. I, for one, am glad that the 3-6 grand per night themed hotel experience turned out to be a massive, barely taped-together scam. Like, no poo poo, parts of Evermore felt like they had more ambition behind them.

I will never not laugh whenever I'm reminded that the procedure in the event of a fire was to hide in the closet.

Pigbuster posted:

Bob Chapek gets the ire of a lot of Disney Park fans for "ruining" the experience, gutting the features, and turning everything back into basically a ticketbook system, but Bob Iger was exactly the same and was already setting up the stage for those changes. The parks, weirdly, considering their massive success, are a problem for Disney simply because there is a comparatively low cap on how much money they can make from them in a day. They can only fit so many people into a park, the rides have a maximum capacity of people who can get through them, food stalls/restaurants can only serve so many people, and all they used to be able to do is raise prices and hope the equilibrium balances out. Until the magicband system was created because phones and tech got good enough to jump to active crowd management.

Defunctland goes into it in depth here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yjZpBq1XBE&t=3475s

But the Genie+, removing the dining plan, pushing more attractions of any kind regardless of how good or up to standards they are, are basically what Disney needs for the parks. There's simply not enough to do for the massive size of the crowds that flood Disney each day, which sounds insane, but they're hosting a huge amount of people, and desperately trying to find anywhere to cram more people in. New rides end up with 3+ hour waits simply because the bandwidth isn't there, and can't be, to move all the people they need to move. I think it's something around 60k people average daily visitors for Magic Kingdom, and even the most efficient ride there (theoretically since Disney doesn't give these numbers), The Haunted mansion would need about 23 hours of constant operation to give every person in that average a single ride on it. Yeah, there's more than one ride, but not nearly enough to make a significant dent in wait times, and even then that's chasing the "just one more lane bro" of highway traffic design. They've had to find new and increasingly annoying ways to manage the crowds, and if you're already doing that, make more money at it too. Chapek was a fall guy and played his part being the "villain" so that Iger could come back after and pretend to "fix" things without ever actually undoing any of the changes.