Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
And then at the beginning of the next season he'll get his rear end kicked by a trainer who just got his Rowlet the day before.

Such is life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

RealFoxy posted:

I think Ashe has some kind of mental block on his life. Both for not picking up on how to flirt and not picking up on how to battle Pokemon

Why do you have three loving flying types? Why do you have two dragons?

The animators want to show off by picking things that move fast and fly or jump high because that looks impressive. That explains his entire current team.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lets Pickle posted:

joke's on you he's about to win the Kalos League with his unbalanced team. Anyway Ash has never been one to battle based on type matchups, his style is more "use the environment to do unexpected poo poo," he's fairly well known for this even among the other characters.

See: his Charizard beating Gary's Blastoise in Johto League

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I think it's nice that the main character isn't necessarily the best at things. And that the Team Rocket three are only circumstantially evil. Basically I like the cartoon, everything is fun and good and adorable.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah type match ups don't matter at all in the show so it would be dumb to criticize someone for type choices. The first gym he ever goes to he one shots a geodude with thundershock because he hooks Pikachu up to a water wheel last night, then brings a Onix to its knees by shorting the sprinkler system.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

Yeah type match ups don't matter at all in the show so it would be dumb to criticize someone for type choices. The first gym he ever goes to he one shots a geodude with thundershock because he hooks Pikachu up to a water wheel last night, then brings a Onix to its knees by shorting the sprinkler system.

well onix got hit by an improvised soak.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Elfgames posted:

well onix got hit by an improvised soak.

Didn't Ash also technically invent the Tickle attack years before it got to the games?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Nothing will ever top the BS "aim for Rhydon's horn!"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

The Gillman posted:

Thunder Armor

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/matsu_bomaye/status/764854260651614212

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

The Gillman posted:

That episode is absolutely why the game designers gave the entire line Lightningrod.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Also where's my Arbok-evolving-into-Seviper, huh, anime??

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ApeHawk posted:

Also where's my Arbok-evolving-into-Seviper, huh, anime??

That was 4kids' fault, not the anime staff's though.

During that time, the Japanese anime had eyecatches to signal he beginning and end of commercial breaks, not Dare da? (The Japanese equivalent of Who's That Pokemon?). :goonsay:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

My faint hope is that Guzma using an Ariados in the trailer means he'll get a mega Ariados later.

Ariados should have some sort of gimmick involving Durant and Galvantula.

Also there should be a Sea Spider pokemon and a Trapdoor Spider pokemon and a Ogre-faced Spider pokemon and a Bola Spider pokemon.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Lets Pickle posted:

joke's on you he's about to win the Kalos League with his unbalanced team. Anyway Ash has never been one to battle based on type matchups, his style is more "use the environment to do unexpected poo poo," he's fairly well known for this even among the other characters.

Ash should get Secret Power on his pokes

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
the alola forms will probably be all Kanto but I wish to god there was an alola dusclops that maintains the skeleton theme

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RealFoxy posted:

I think Ashe has some kind of mental block on his life. Both for not picking up on how to flirt and not picking up on how to battle Pokemon

You can never have too many dragons

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

RealFoxy posted:

what, you've never run a horribly imbalanced team before? It doesn't really matter as long as you have some attack type coverage. Unless you're playing D/P/Pt, and then you will lose to Cynthia. fuckin' Cynthia.

speaking of imbalanced teams, just booted up my copy of White 2 for the first time in ages, and apparently I was doing a Poison type run, with Drapion, Crobat, Muk, Seviper, Amoonguss, and Scolipede. what a wonderful team. :3:
Seviper doesn't seem to be pulling its weight though, and I think I just really wanted to use Seviper despite having better options. inexplicably, its Special Attack is slightly higher than its Attack, and it knows Flamethrower. Think I'm going to transfer the whole team over to White to save them for posterity, and do a new Monotype run.

I think I already did a Grass type run once upon a time, so what type should I do next? No type is off limits, if it's Dragon or Ghost I'll make some eggs in White.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Raserys posted:

the alola forms will probably be all Kanto but I wish to god there was an alola dusclops that maintains the skeleton theme

There are many Gen II pokes who desperately need Alola forms.

Off the top of my head; Noctowl (Ground/Psychic), Corsola (Grass/Steel), Delibird (Fire/Grass)...

Spatula City posted:

what, you've never run a horribly imbalanced team before? It doesn't really matter as long as you have some attack type coverage. Unless you're playing D/P/Pt, and then you will lose to Cynthia. fuckin' Cynthia.

speaking of imbalanced teams, just booted up my copy of White 2 for the first time in ages, and apparently I was doing a Poison type run, with Drapion, Crobat, Muk, Seviper, Amoonguss, and Scolipede. what a wonderful team. :3:
Seviper doesn't seem to be pulling its weight though, and I think I just really wanted to use Seviper despite having better options. inexplicably, its Special Attack is slightly higher than its Attack, and it knows Flamethrower. Think I'm going to transfer the whole team over to White to save them for posterity, and do a new Monotype run.

I think I already did a Grass type run once upon a time, so what type should I do next? No type is off limits, if it's Dragon or Ghost I'll make some eggs in White.

Great monotype runs in Gen V; Bug

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

does getting 30 level ups from a blissey base increase my pokes happiness for the happiness evolvers or do i need to run around with all of them in my party forever

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

does getting 30 level ups from a blissey base increase my pokes happiness for the happiness evolvers or do i need to run around with all of them in my party forever

Yes. Evolving is like +5/+3 (I think) happiness depending, so it'll get them pretty close, but you may also need to run around a bit to finish it off.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Zore posted:

Corsola (Grass/Steel),

Corals aren't plants :mad:

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

You can do a happiness evolution entirely through levelups, you just have to make sure the Pokemon doesn't also have a daytime or nighttime requirement.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Improbable Lobster posted:

Neither are mushrooms but there's like 30 of em

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Alolan Farfetch'd please

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm curious what Alolan forms do to stats, do we have any info on that? Do they keep the exact same stats, do they get reorganized (but same stat total), or do they change completely?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Nobody knows

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

pik_d posted:

I'm curious what Alolan forms do to stats, do we have any info on that? Do they keep the exact same stats, do they get reorganized (but same stat total), or do they change completely?

No one knows yet, but my best guess is that the base stat total are the same (otherwise one would be superior to the other), but the stats would be shuffled. It is mentioned that Alolan Sandshrew and Sandslash have a a hard shell that makes them more durable but slower then the Ground-type Sandshrew and Sandslash.

Don't mind Grass-type Cradily then...

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Zuzie posted:

No one knows yet, but my best guess is that the base stat total are the same (otherwise one would be superior to the other), but the stats would be shuffled. It is mentioned that Alolan Sandshrew and Sandslash have a a hard shell that makes them more durable but slower then the Ground-type Sandshrew and Sandslash.

That's a good point, I remember reading that but wasn't sure if I had missed anything more concrete.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

this is my aesthetic

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Zuzie posted:

Don't mind Grass-type Cradily then...

Cradily isn't a coral :mad:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Cradily isn't a coral :mad:

No, but it's still an animal typed as a plant, just like the hypothetical Grass/Steel Corsola.

Although now that I think about it, I want to see a Water/Grass Tentacool/Tentacruel that are based on those jellyfish that were trapped in island lakes that lost their stinging cells in favor of entering a symbiosis with algae.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

cradily is a plant monster typed as a plant

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I mean goats and snakes and lizards and toads and eggs and dinosaurs and deer aren't plants either but here we are

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Coral is neither rock or water either

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Pokemon aren't real

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

not even geodude?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

HoneyBoy posted:

Pokemon aren't real

I'm sorry I'm gonna take this back now

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In this replay of XY I'm gonna use farfetch'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Zore posted:

Coral is neither rock or water either

Water/Rock is closer to coral than Grass/Steel :mad:

• Locked thread