Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This is the most amazing game, but not for the reason reddit thinks it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I mean, just think about how much effort goes into organizing things so that two groups of humans will be at the same place at the same time in roughly balanced numbers so that everyone feels like they are having a decent time and had a fair chance at winning. You've got lobbies and matchmaking according to the game's best guess at your skill. There are always periods of waiting for the match to start as people join and leave and even while the game is in progress you have to deal with lag and disconnects with new players spawned in to fill spots. This is the price of fairness: a game with lobbies and timers and characters that can teleport in to the middle of a match.

The games that choose persistence universally do this at the expense of fairness. EvE being the most notable example for our purposes. EvE is the game (after E:D & NMS) that SC backers seems to hate with the most fiery passion. EvE is a ganker's paradise.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 26, 2017

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
Goddamn

Y'know, after I read through the Half-Life epilogue posted by Marc Laidlaw on Thursday I was feeling a little blue.

Thank you Chris Roberts for making me smile again!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

seriously still laughing at whatever broken fuckface is gonna buy a camera to stare into so people can see his idiot face in game.

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
just send some video to a virtual webcam device and run around the 'verse with a permanent animated parpface

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

The_Groove posted:

just send some video to a virtual webcam device and run around the 'verse with a permanent animated parpface

:gary:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

smellmycheese posted:

In case you missed it - here is the complete presentation accompanied by audio of Goons laughing their asses off, and Derek Smart shouting "I FUCKIN CALLED IT"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=3DCbvu-uF4o

This is loving amazing

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

seriously still laughing at whatever broken fuckface is gonna buy a camera to stare into so people can see his idiot face in game.

Yeah, imagine staring into Gremlich.

Or Disturbedbob

Or SC_white_knight (minus the underscores)

Or the twisted face of redchris18

So many possibilities.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Wow, spectrum is not happy with Gamescom:
"This gamescom was pretty painful"

Oh my god, CIG are throwing in bonuses like reserving a ship name if you buy their ships with cash instead of credit.

I just watched the presentation again and I hate to be one of those people that comment on appearance, but I'm gonna power through anyway: Sandi's shoes are goddamn fugly. The playsuit is passable, but the shoes are just horrible.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

This is loving amazing

The huge cheer when the wheels come off is beautiful. Plus Derek shouting "ITS ON FUCKIN RAILS!!!" while the commando gurns

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
You know what? I'll defend the stupid webcam feature

Not because it's a good idea, or because it adds anything to the game, or because it meaningfully adds to the experience in a simple and affordable (lol, thing is gonna be worth at least $200) manner.

No, I'll defend the camera because if it somehow managed to work in imaginationland you could print a gary parpman face and aim the camera to it, making everyone else bask in it's beautiful radiance for the five minutes you are in a station

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Instead of actually finishing the poo poo they promised was nearly finished in last year's gamescom, they've layered another load of bullshit on top of that?

I'll say one thing, you have to admire their cast iron gall for doing that with a straight face.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

CR: 3.0 will totally have true persistence. Here is the totally for real 3.0 build. Enjoy!
Game crashes for the commando flying the space plane. Everyone needs to run through the entire mission again.

True persistence in action.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

I'll be buying one and modeling my character like Derek and traveling around the 'verse making Warlord faces at everyone.

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

Latin Pheonix posted:

Oh my god, CIG are throwing in bonuses like reserving a ship name if you buy their ships with cash instead of credit.

I just watched the presentation again and I hate to be one of those people that comment on appearance, but I'm gonna power through anyway: Sandi's shoes are goddamn fugly. The playsuit is passable, but the shoes are just horrible.

So you can reserve a ship name, doesn't that imply ship names have to be unique? I bet that won't backfire!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Bumbler posted:

So you can reserve a ship name, doesn't that imply ship names have to be unique? I bet that won't backfire!

You're just mad because you have to call your ship the Weedlord Bonerhitler 421

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

It's been said in various ways before, but whatever the opposite of the Kyobashi Maru simulation is, SC is that for goons. In the unlikely event they succeed, we get to :gary: up the game and all manner of shenanigans, in the more likely event they don't we continue to :yarg: the internet. Literally a no lose situation for us

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Furia posted:

You know what? I'll defend the stupid webcam feature

Not because it's a good idea, or because it adds anything to the game, or because it meaningfully adds to the experience in a simple and affordable (lol, thing is gonna be worth at least $200) manner.

No, I'll defend the camera because if it somehow managed to work in imaginationland you could print a gary parpman face and aim the camera to it, making everyone else bask in it's beautiful radiance for the five minutes you are in a station

The problem with Roberts is if you are sitting down at table at Applebees. Which is loathed and mocked throughout most of every commercial and movie made in the past ten years.

Roberts basically delivered another Applebees dish.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Cao Ni Ma posted:

a supposed dev at neogaf is trying to say that its the pilots fault that the rover blew up on the ramp because they decided to park on uneven terrain lmao

That's pure nonsense. It's to do with how they have cobbled together a vehicle controller while separating the chassis (which is probably a rigid body) handling from the wheels (which turn in the wrong direction btw) which are animated entities.

This is why, when you see the rover moving, the chassis only reacts on it's own and incorrectly, while the wheels turn (incorrect direction btw).

This is why when they go over bumps, both chassis + wheels go over because they are on terrain that standard vehicle controllers can move on just fine using the basic vehicle controller.

Even the Nox, which doesn't touch the ground, would have intersected that ramp slope if they had done this same action with it, while trying to land it on the slope. It would have moved ahead, intersecting the slope

The main issue is that handling ANY physics body on slopes, is very tricky. It's why, when a character walking forward, then tries to go UP a slope, if the math is off, you just walk INTO the slope, thus intersecting the terrain or object (in this case, the ramp on the ship). You will also see the character angled unnaturally when standing on a slope, if you get the math wrong. Done correctly, the body standing on a slope would be perpendicular to the slope itself

The rover was destroyed because apparently the model intersecting the ramp (attached to the ship model), triggered a collision response large enough to trigger its destruction as normal. It's the sort of bug that's in 2.6.3 at the moment.

Math is hard, but I have pictures.

How to fix common physics problems in your game

Handling movement on sloped surfaces - clamping character to sloped surface

Ground clamping a rigidbody on slope

These are the same clowns who can't get animated doors working. So. :colbert:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Guys this video of you laughing your asses off at Star Citizen is HILARIOUS

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te73hjJgNHM&t=14610s

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

D_Smart posted:

Done correctly, the body standing on a slope would be perpendicular to the slope itself

Example of it done correctly:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

D_Smart posted:

That's pure nonsense.

Man I've missed this thread

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
I found MoMA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YymImQ6MVs

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I actually think that face cam stuff is pretty cool.

Star Citizen is so good.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Beet Wagon posted:

I don't give a poo poo what they waste time, money and effort on really, but is it unreasonable to ask that they focus on the flight mechanics first? In the loving space flying game?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Latin Pheonix posted:

Wow, spectrum is not happy with Gamescom:
"This gamescom was pretty painful"

Holy poo poo, even Annabelle "Boo" Huxley is pissed at the janky animations, clipping and lack of female models. This is the shill who registers on random forms to shitpost about Star Citizen. Is s/he not getting paid anymore?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Mangoose posted:

I don't give a poo poo what they waste time, money and effort on really, but is it unreasonable to ask that they focus on the flight mechanics first? In the loving space flying game?

Gameplay locust.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SomethingJones posted:

Man I've missed this thread

When are you returning to discord :v:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

I would buy it just to totally gently caress with the role-players by making stupid faces.

More likely there would be a way to hack the commands to make some specific dumb faces, all the fun, none of the cost.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Daztek posted:

When are you returning to discord :v:

As soon as the check clears

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 27, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

Example of it done correctly:

Yup.

And in the case of the rover, it would drive right through the mountain, instead of driving up the slope like the horse.

The fact that it works for character models (as you can see when the other player ran up the ramp of the Idris) means that, like with the ship controller, they are still having issues with the vehicle controller.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

D_Smart posted:

Then, sloppy things like what I wrote on my Discord channel. If you noticed here at the 1:29:07 mark when the Mobiglass appears, the arms are different. Someone on Discord thought it was a suit change. It’s not a suit change. I believe that second arm is the model that has the mobiglass attached, and it doesn’t match the actual player model suit. It’s like a weapon switch. This means that the arm with the mobiglass is separate from the player model. Just like how we do high (1st person view) vs low (3rd person view) weapons in fps games.

And the view color change could be due to the fact that they are applying a full-screen filter to the fps view when you have a helmet/visor on.

That's them changing between the two player's povs, you can see the other player standing right in front also using the wrist thing before the change, for some reason the other players screen was a different colour.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

trucutru posted:

I would buy it just to totally gently caress with the role-players by making stupid faces.

More likely there would be a way to hack the commands to make some specific dumb faces, all the fun, none of the cost.

I hadn't even thought of this. CIG invents yet another way for people to guarantee their immersion is broken at all times. Can't wait to start bunnyhopping all over the mission terminals while gritting my teeth and flailing my lips around like Billy Idol.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

eXXon posted:

Holy poo poo, even Annabelle "Boo" Huxley is pissed at the janky animations, clipping and lack of female models. This is the shill who registers on random forms to shitpost about Star Citizen. Is s/he not getting paid anymore?

So much for reckless optimism

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Boxturret posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:
Then, sloppy things like what I wrote on my Discord channel. If you noticed here at the 1:29:07 mark when the Mobiglass appears, the arms are different. Someone on Discord thought it was a suit change. It’s not a suit change. I believe that second arm is the model that has the mobiglass attached, and it doesn’t match the actual player model suit. It’s like a weapon switch. This means that the arm with the mobiglass is separate from the player model. Just like how we do high (1st person view) vs low (3rd person view) weapons in fps games.

And the view color change could be due to the fact that they are applying a full-screen filter to the fps view when you have a helmet/visor on.
That's them changing between the two player's povs, you can see the other player standing right in front also using the wrist thing before the change, for some reason the other players screen was a different colour.

I know. That's why I think that player with the color change, has a helmet on; hence your view from wearing it, would look different. Like wearing sunglasses and not.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
We can probably expect a nasty purge and a round of witch-hunts from the Shitizenry. They've had a massive blow to their worldviews, and they're going to need to vent their stress and frustration somehow.

I look forward to what new and exciting ways they come up with to blame Derek for sabotaging the stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Based on CIG's past results, this is going to lead to jittery faces like something out of Jacob's Ladder. I approve of this move toward space horror.